What made the friendship between Wesley and Whitefield possible 

One was an Arminian, the other a Calvinist 


Odilon Massolar Chaves

  


Copyright © 2026, Odilon Massolar Chaves

All rights reserved to the author.

It is allowed to read, copy and share for free.

Article 184 of the Penal Code and Law 96710 of February 19, 1998.

Books published in the Wesleyan Digital Library: 898

Books published by the author: 938

Cover: https://www.instagram.com//p/DX1iX9rgFnH/

Odilon Massolar Chaves is a retired Methodist pastor, with a doctorate in Theology and History from the Methodist University of São Paulo.

Son of Rev. Adherico Ribeiro Chaves and Roza Massolar Chaves.

He is married to RoseMary.

He has two daughters: Liliana and Luciana.

His thesis dealt with the Methodist revival in England in the eighteenth century and its contribution as a paradigm for our days.

 

Table of Contents


·   Introduction

·       Expressions of friendship between the two

·       A time of joy and holiness with the Lord

·       God's power has come mightily upon us

·       This strange way of preaching in the fields

·       A Very Remarkable Precedent of Preaching in the Field

·       I proclaimed, on the roads, the good news of salvation

·       I have received letters from my friends in London, from Mr. Whitefield in particular

·       He surprised me by asking me to preach in his place

·       In the afternoon, I was with Mr. Whitefield

·       The person in whose church Mr. Whitefield preached

·       "Why do you think so?"

·       "I will do what I believe Mr. Whitefield would do were here"

·       I read Mr. Whitefield's account of God's dealings with his soul

·       The same I believe of Mr. Whitefield's public preaching

·       How wise is God in giving different talents to different preachers

·       They often talked about me and my brother

·       I readily accepted the offer to preach in the house newly built for Mr. Whitefield

·       Mr. Whitefield requested my presence

·       I Preached in Mr. Whitefield's Tabernacle

·       He insisted that I do it

·       I had the pleasure of spending some time with Mr. Whitefield

·       Had breakfast with Mr. Whitefield

·       Mr. Whitefield said to me, 'You've got nothing to do there

·       God has repressed their furious and bitter zeal through Mr. Whitefield

·       Mr. Whitefield called me

·       I am very far from having Mr. Whitefield's mind

·       In the evening, I was given Mr. Whitefield's office on the docks

·       Let all of Mr. Whitefield's society who were pleased, be present at the feast of love

·       I rejoice at Mr. Whitefield's behavior

·   Everywhere Mr. Whitefield went, he labored in the same friendly, Christian manner

·       I spent a comfortable and profitable hour with Mr. Whitefield

·    I had another pleasant conversation with my old friend and ministry colleague, George Whitefield

·    Wesley asks Whitefield for help in advising Methodist preachers in America

·       I have received the melancholy news of Mr. Whitefield's death

·       To preach the sermon at Mr. Whitefield's funeral service

·     I wish to show all possible respect to the memory of this great and good man

 

Introduction

 

"What Made Wesley's Friendship Possible

"The relationship between John Wesley and George Whitefield is one of the greatest lessons of maturity and Christian love in history. Although they were leaders of the 18th-century Revival, they disagreed diametrically: Wesley was an Arminian (advocated free will) and Whitefield was a Calvinist (advocated predestination)." [1]

Some marks of this friendship here are:

·       Unity despite theological divergence

·   The two prayed together and at the vigil on January 1, 1739, Wesley and Whitefield were reached by the same power of God at the so-called "Methodist Pentecost."

·  Both had the same purpose: to save souls. The two were responsible for God's great move in Bristol, in the open air, in 1739, with crowds, conversions and miracles.

·       The desire to magnify the Kingdom nullified any personal vanity

·       Any hint to provoke enmity between the two was soon nullified

·   Wesley understood that the different talents between the two were the result of God's wisdom

·       Wesley might disagree theologically, but he publicly defended his friend Whitefield

·       The two trusted each other respecting their differences

 

In his diary of January 9, 1769, Wesley said, "I spent a comfortable and profitable hour with Mr. Whitefield, calling to mind the times past, and the manner in which God prepared us for the work." [2]

 

Wesley was invited to preach at the funeral service of George Whitefield, on November 23, 1770. [3]

 

After Whitefield's death, Wesley wrote in his diary, "Everywhere I wish to show all possible respect to the memory of this great and good man." [4]


An example for all of us in our days.

 The Author

 

Expressions of friendship between the two

 

Unity despite theological divergence

 "John Wesley was an Arminian (he defended free and universal grace), while George Whitefield was a convinced Calvinist (he defended unconditional election). They publicly disagreed with intensity, but preserved mutual respect and brotherly love.

The two prayed together and united in prayer at the vigil on 1/1/1739 Wesley and Whitefield were reached by the same power of God

Wesley wrote: "Messrs. Hall, Kinchin, Ingham, Whitefield, Hutchins, and my brother Charles Wesley were present at the love-feast, at the Fetter Lane Society. About three o'clock in the morning, while I was continuing in prayer, the power of God came mightily upon us, so that many cried out with joy, and many fell to the ground."

The two had the same purpose: to save souls

They were responsible for God's great move in Bristol, in the open air, in 1739, with multitudes, conversions, and miracles.

In February 1739, George Whitefield began preaching in the open air in Bristol and attracted immense crowds. He "asked his friend, John Wesley, to continue his work in Bristol. At first, Wesley was reluctant to preach in the open air because the Church disapproved of such behavior, but later he became convinced of its value when he saw the impact Whitefield was making."[5] It was the first time Wesley preached in the "field" and attracted thousands of people with manifestations of God's power.

 

The desire to magnify the Kingdom nullified any personal vanity

 

In his diary, June 14, 1739, Wesley wrote: "I went with Mr. Whitefield to Blackheath, where there were, I believe, twelve hundred to fourteen hundred persons. He surprised me by asking me to preach in his stead." [6]

Any hint to provoke enmity between the two was soon nullified

 

When copies of a letter from Whitefield were scattered at the Methodist Foundry, Wesley intervened. In his diary on Feb. 1, 1741, Wesley wrote, "I will do what I believe Mr. Whitefield would do were here." And I tore the letter to pieces before everybody. Every one who received it did the same. Thus, in two minutes, there was not a whole copy left." [7]

Wesley understood that the different talents between the two were the result of God's wisdom

 

On January 28, 1750, Wesley wrote: "I read the prayers (in London), and Mr. Whitefield preached. How wise is God to give different talents to different preachers!" [8]

Wesley might disagree theologically, but he publicly defended his friend Whitefield

To John Smith, on March 22, 1748, Wesley said, "The same I believe of Mr. Whitefield's public preaching (which was not the consequence, but the cause of mine), whose doctrine in general (though he is wrong in some points) I believe to be the truth of the gospel." [9]

A friendship that provided encounters with pleasant moments between the two for more than 30 years

In his diary, on Friday, July 6, 1739, Wesley said, "In the afternoon I was with Mr. Whitefield, who had just returned from London." [10]

 

The two trusted each other respecting their differences 

On October 5, 1758, Wesley wrote in his diary: "I rode through Redbridge and Fareham to Portsmouth, where, at seven o'clock, I preached in Mr. Whitefield's Tabernacle, to a small and earnest congregation." [11]

In a letter dated February 17, 1770, Wesley wrote to him that he could not be in America, and asked Whitefield, who was visiting America, "For the present, I must beg you to make up for my lack of service by encouraging our preachers, as you judge best, who are still comparatively young and inexperienced, by giving them such counsel as they think fit, and, above all, exhorting them, not only to love one another, but, if possible, as much as remains for them to live in peace with all men." [12]

In his diary of January 9, 1769, Wesley said, "I spent a comfortable and profitable hour with Mr. Whitefield, calling to mind the times past, and the manner in which God prepared us for the work." [13]

 

Each one honored the other

 

On November 23, 1970, Wesley wrote in his diary: "Having been asked by the Trustees of the Greenwich Tabernacle to preach the sermon at Mr. Whitefield's funeral service, I went there today for that purpose." [14]

 

On January 2, 1771, Wesley wrote in his diary: "Everywhere, I wish to show all possible respect to the memory of this great and good man." [15]

 

Among Wesley's letters and diary, we find the following references to Whitefield:

 

A time of joy and holiness with the Lord

 

The whole week was a feast, really a time of joy and holiness with the Lord

 

12/26/1738 – Tuesday. George Whitefield preached. We had the sacrament on that day, and the following four days. On Thursday, my brother preached; on Friday, George Whitefield; on Saturday, Mr. Robson. The whole week was a feast, really a time of joy and holiness with the Lord. [16]

 

God's power has come mightily upon us

 

About three o'clock in the morning, while I was continuing in prayer, the power of God came mightily upon us, so that many cried out for joy, and many fell to the ground

 

1/01/1739 – Monday. Messrs. Hall, Kinchin, Ingham, Whitefield, Hutchins, and my brother Charles Wesley were present at the love-feast, at the Fetter Lane Society. About three o'clock in the morning, while I was continuing in prayer, the power of God came mightily upon us, so that many cried out for joy, and many fell to the ground. As soon as we recovered a little from such perplexity in the presence of his Majesty, we burst forth with one voice: "We pray to thee, O God; we acknowledge that thou art the Lord." [17]

 

This strange way of preaching in the fields

 

In the evening, and I found Mr. Whitefield there. I could scarcely reconcile myself to myself, at first, by this strange mode of preaching in the fields, of which he gave me an example on Sunday

 

March 29, 1739, Thursday. I left London, and in the evening exhibited at a small society at Basingstoke. On Saturday, the 31st, I arrived at Bristol in the evening, and found Mr. Whitefield there. I could scarcely be reconciled to myself, at first, by this strange mode of preaching in the fields, of which he gave me an example on Sunday. I have been all my life, (until much lately) so tenacious in regard to decency and order, that I should have thought that the salvation of souls is almost a sin, if it had not been done in a church! [18]

 

A Very Remarkable Precedent of Preaching in the Field

 

In the evening, (after Mr. Whitefield had left) I began to expound our Lord's Sermon on the Mount (a very remarkable precedent of preaching in the field

 

4/1/1739 – Sunday. In the evening, (after Mr. Whitefield had left) I began to expound our Lord's Sermon on the Mount (a very striking precedent of preaching in the field; however, I suppose there were churches also at that time), to a small society which was accustomed to meet once or twice a week in Nicholas Street. [19]

 

I proclaimed, on the roads, the good news of salvation

 

I proclaimed the good news of salvation on the roads, speaking of a small elevation of the land near the city for about three thousand persons

 

04/02/1739 – Monday. At four o'clock in the afternoon, I submitted to be more contemptible, "I will make myself more contemptible, and will humble myself in my sight," and proclaimed, on the highways, the good news of salvation, speaking of a small elevation of the land, next to the city, for about three thousand persons. The Word, of which I spoke, was this (is it necessary for one to be ignorant in order for the ministry of Christ to be fulfilled in all truth?): "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives, to restore sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed; and proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord."94 At seven o'clock I expounded the Acts of the Apostles to a society assembled in Baldwin Street, and the next day the Gospel of John in the Newgate chapel, where I also read the church's daily Morning Service. [20]

 

I have received letters from my friends in London, from Mr. Whitefield in particular

 

And as to the direction of the work, I have received letters from my friends in London, from Mr. Whitefield, in particular, supporting me with a message, brought by one who came especially for it, saying that none of them would have anything to do with the building, nor contribute to its erection, unless I released the feudatories immediately, and did all in my own name.

 

05/09/1739 – Wednesday. We took possession of a piece of land near the churchyard of St. James's Church, at Horse Fair, Bristol, where we planned to build a room wide enough to contain both the societies of Nicholas and Baldwin Street, and some of their acquaintances, who wished to be present on the occasions when the Scripture was expounded. And on Saturday, the 12th, the foundation stone was laid with voices of praise and thanksgiving. I had not, at first, the slightest concern or desire to engage myself personally, either in the expense of the work, or in the direction of it. I then appointed eleven feudatories, on whom, I supposed, these responsibilities might naturally fall. But I soon discovered my mistake: first, in regard to expenses, for if I had not taken upon myself the responsibility for the payment of all the workmen, the whole enterprise would still have been at a standstill; so that, before I knew where it was, I contracted a debt of more than one hundred and fifty pounds. And of this I was to get rid of as I could, for the resources of both societies did not amount to a quarter of the sum. And, as to the direction of the work, I received letters from my friends in London, from Mr. Whitefield, in particular, supporting me with a message, brought by one who came especially for it, where he said that none of them would have anything to do with the building, nor would contribute to its erection, unless I released the feudatories immediately, and did everything in my own name. They gave many reasons for this, but one was sufficient, namely, that "that such gentlemen would always have in their power, control over me; and, if I did not preach as they pleased, they would take me out of the place I had built." I therefore yielded to their advice, and, calling all the feudatories, cancelled (no man objecting) the instrument previously made, and took the whole administration into my own hands. Money, to be sure, I had, no prospect or human probability of getting it. But I knew that "the earth is the Lord's, and all that is in it," and in His name we set out, doubting nothing. During all this time I have been asked, almost continuously, both by those who have purposely come to Bristol to inquire concerning this strange work, and by my old and new correspondents, "How did these things come to pass?" And innumerable precautions have been given me (usually founded on gross misrepresentations of things), not considering visions and dreams, or imagining people having the remission of sins, because of their cries or tears, or witnessing outward professions. To one who has often written to me on this subject, the sum of my answer was, "The question between us becomes primarily, if not wholly, a question of fact. You deny that God works these effects; at least that he works in them in this way. I affirm both, because I have heard and seen (so far as a thing of this kind can be seen) many people suddenly changed: from the spirit of fear, horror, and despair to the spirit of love, joy, and peace. And from sinful desire, hitherto reigning over them, to the pure desire to bear witness to God. These are matters of fact, so that I have been, and almost daily am, an eye-witness and auditory." [21]

 

He surprised me by asking me to preach in his place

 

I went with Mr. Whitefield to Blackheath, where there were, I believe, from twelve hundred to fourteen hundred. He surprised me by asking me to preach in his stead

 

6/14/1739 – Thursday. I went with Mr. Whitefield to Blackheath, where there were, I believe, from twelve hundred to fourteen hundred. He surprised me by asking me to preach in his stead, which I did (though nature recoiled) on my favorite subject, "Jesus Christ, who was made unto us of God, wisdom, righteousness, sanctification, and redemption." [22]

 

In the afternoon, I was with Mr. Whitefield

 

In the afternoon I met with Mr. Whitefield, newly returned from London, with whom I went to Baptist Mills, where he preached concerning "The Holy Spirit, which every believer must receive."

 

07/06/1739 – Friday. In the afternoon I was with Mr. Whitefield, newly returned from London, with whom I went to Baptist Mills, where he preached concerning "The Holy Spirit, which every believer must receive"; not without a just, though severe, rebuke to those who preach as if there were no Holy Spirit. [23]

 

The person in whose church Mr. Whitefield preached

 

I felt a great dislike of preaching there. But I went to Mr. W (the person in whose church Mr. Whitefield preached) to ask permission to use it. He said with all his heart that the minister was unwilling to allow the church to be used

 

10/15/1739. In the morning I described more fully the way of salvation: "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and thou shalt be saved." And then, leaving my guest's house before two, I went to Abergavenny. I felt an enormous aversion to preaching there. But I went to Mr. W (the person in whose church Mr. Whitefield preached), to ask permission to use it. He said with all his heart that the minister was unwilling to permit the use of the church. After this refusal (for which I wrote him a line at once), he invited me to his house. A number of a thousand persons remained, patiently (notwithstanding the biting frost, already at sunset)... [24]

 

"Why do you think so?"

 

The next morning a young man caught up with me on the road, and after some time asked me if I had seen Whitefield's Diary. I said yes. "And what do you think of him?" "Don't you think he's very fanatical? I think so." So I asked, "Why do you think so?"

 

12/11/1739 – Monday. I left London, and in the afternoon expounded at Wycombe the story of the Pharisee and the publican. The next morning a young man caught up with me on the road, and after some time asked me if I had seen Whitefield's Diary. I replied that I had. "And what do you think of him?" "Don't you think he is very fanatical? I think so." Then I asked, "Why do you think so?" He replied, "Because he talks a lot about joy and things of that kind, and about inward feelings. As I hope to be saved, I don't know what to do with it." I asked, "Do you feel that the love of God is in your heart? If not, how can you know what to do with it? Whatever is said of the religion of the heart and of the inward workings of the Holy Spirit, must appear fanaticism to those who do not feel them, that is, if they try to judge of things which they themselves do not know." Dr. W. said to me, after the sermon, "Sir, you must not preach in the afternoon." "Not," he said, "let you preach some false doctrine. I admit that all you have said is true. And it is the doctrine of the Church of England. But it is not careful. It is dangerous. It may lead the people to fanaticism or despair." I did not readily see where the emphasis of this objection (so often initiated) was. But after a little reflection, I could see clearly. The real question is, it is commonly believed that religion consists of three things: to do no evil, using the means of grace; to do good, as it is called; and to help our neighbors, chiefly by donations. Thus a religious man is commonly thought to be one who is honest, just, and faithful in his deeds; who is constantly in church, and partakes of the sacrament; and who gives many donations, or (as it is usually termed) does much good. Now, in explaining these words of the Apostle, "The kingdom of God" (or true religion, the consequence of God's dwelling and reigning in the soul) "is not meat and drink," I have necessarily been led to show that religion does not properly consist of any or all of these three things, but that a man may be harmless, use the means of grace, and do good, and yet have no religion. [25]

 

"I will do what I believe Mr. Whitefield would do were here"

 

"I will do what I believe Mr. Whitefield would do were here." And I tore the letter to pieces before everyone. Every one who received it did the same. Thus, in two minutes, there was not a whole copy left

 

February 1, 1741 – Sunday. A large number of copies of a private letter, written to me by Mr. Whitefied, printed without his permission or mine, were given to our people at the door and at the Foundry itself. On finding one of these, I reported it to the congregation (after the preaching), and said to them, "I will do what I believe Mr. Whitefield would do had he been here." And I tore the letter to pieces before all. Every one who received it did the same. Thus, in two minutes, there was not a whole copy left. [26]

 

I read Mr. Whitefield's account of God's dealings with his soul

 

I have read Mr. Whitefield's account of God's dealings with his soul. Much of this I know to be true. "Let not mercy and truth forsake thee! Bind them round thy neck! Write them on the tablet of thy heart!

 

September 1, 1740, Tuesday. I have read Mr. Whitefield's account of God's dealings with his soul. Much of this I know to be true. "May not mercy and truth forsake thee! Bind them round thy neck! Write them on the tablet of thy heart! [27]

 

The same I believe of Mr. Whitefield's public preaching

 

 The same I believe of Mr. Whitefield's public preaching (which was not the consequence, but the cause of mine), whose doctrine in general (though he is wrong in some points) I believe to be the truth of the gospel

 

For 'John Smith'

DUBLIN, March 22, 1748.

“(...) 3. Yet 'such a deviation,' you think, 'may open a door to much disorder and error.' I grant that it may; but I still insist (1) that negative accidental consequences may follow from something good; (2) that the good consequences in the present case outweigh the evil beyond all possible degrees of comparison. The same I believe of Mr. Whitefield's public preaching (which was not the consequence, but the cause of mine), whose doctrine in general (though he is wrong in some points) I believe to be the truth of the gospel. [28]

 

How wise is God in giving different talents to different preachers

 

I read the prayers (in London), and Mr. Whitefield preached. How wise is God to give different talents to different preachers!

 

January 28, 1750 – Sunday. I read the prayers (in London), and Mr. Whitefield preached. How wise is God, in giving different talents to different preachers! Even small improprieties, both in language and manner, were the means by which many who could not have been touched by a more correct speech or a calmer and more regular manner of speech profited. [29]

 

They often talked about me and my brother

 

Above all, they were concerned about the way their preachers (as I call those who preach in the Tabernacle) often spoke of me and my brother, partly in the most mocking and contemptuous way, relating a hundred shocking stories

 

To George Whitefield

BIRSTALL, May 28, 1753.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- Of forty and fifty of our preachers have lately met at Leeds, all of them, I trust, esteem you for the sake of your work. They have asked me to mention a few particulars to you, in order to bring a still stronger union between us.

Several of them were grieved to mention among our people (in private conversations, if not in public preaching) some of those opinions which we do not believe to be true, such as 'a man may be justified and not know it,' that 'there is no possibility of falling into disgrace,' and that 'there is no perfection in this point.' They conceived that this was not acting as it would be done, and that it tended to create not peace, but confusion.

They also worry that you sometimes speak lightly of the discipline received among us, of societies, classes, bands, and of our rums in general, of some of them in particular. They understood that this was neither kind nor just, nor consistent with the profession you at other times exercise.

Above all, they were concerned about the way in which their preachers (so I call those who preach in the Tabernacle) often spoke of me and my brother, partly in the most mocking and contemptuous manner, relating a hundred shocking stories (such as that of Mary Popplestone and Eliz. History) as unquestionable facts, and propagating them with diligence and an air of triumph wherever they appeared.

These things I was desired by all our brethren to mention. Two or three of them, afterwards, asked me to mention privately that, when you were in the North, your conversation was not so useful as was expected; that it was not generally turned against the things of God, but upon trivialities and indifferent things; that your whole chariot was not so serious as they might wish, often mingled with needless laughter; and that those who strove for any lightness of behaviour, and always strove to speak and act as if they saw God, you would rather weaken than strengthen, insinuating that you were in bondage or weak in faith.

I am convinced that you will receive these short lines in the same place where I write them. That you may prosper more and more, both in your soul and in your efforts, is the earnest wish of my dear brother, [Wesley endorsed this letter 'My letter to G. Whitd. He denies everything!']

Your affectionate co-worker. [30]

 

I readily accepted the offer to preach in the house newly built for Mr. Whitefield

 

I readily accepted the offer to preach in Mr. Whitefield's newly built house at Plymouth Dock. Thus it seemed proper to us to tread on idolatry and partisan zeal

 

August 14, 1753—Tuesday. I readily accepted the offer to preach in Mr. Whitefield's newly built house at Plymouth Dock. Thus it seemed proper to us to tread on idolatry and partisan zeal. Should not every lover of God love his neighbor also? [31]

 

Mr. Whitefield requested my presence

 

Mr. Whitefield requested my presence. Disputes are now no more; we love each other, and join hands to advance the cause of our common Master

 

11/5/1755 – Wednesday. Mr. Whitefield requested my presence. Disputes are now no more; we love each other, and join hands to advance the cause of our common Master. [32]

 

I Preached in Mr. Whitefield's Tabernacle

 

I preached in Mr. Whitefield's Tabernacle to a small and earnest congregation

 

10/5/1758 – Thursday. I rode through Redbridge and Fareham to Portsmouth, where, at seven o'clock, I preached in Mr. Whitefield's Tabernacle, to a small and earnest congregation. [33]

 

He insisted that I do it

 

I thought Mr. Whitefield was going to administer the sacrament, but he insisted that I do so

 

02/27/1759 – Tuesday.

My brother, Mr. Maxfield, and I went to Lady Huntingdon's. After breakfast, Messrs. Whitefield, Madan, Romaine, Jones, Downing, and Venn arrived, with a few respectable persons and a few others. I thought Mr. Whitefield would administer the sacrament, but he insisted that I should do so. After this, Lady Huntingdon requested me to preach on "What are the greatest of men to the great God? Like the fine dust of the scales." [34]

 

I had the pleasure of spending some time with Mr. Whitefield

 

The next day I had the satisfaction of spending some time with Mr. Whitefield. Humanly speaking, he is worn out, but let us leave it to him who has all power in heaven and earth

 

5/21/1763 – Saturday. I arrived in Edinburgh. The next day I had the satisfaction of spending some time with Mr. Whitefield. Humanly speaking, he is worn out, but let us leave it to him who has all power in heaven and earth. [35]

 

Had breakfast with Mr. Whitefield

 

I had breakfast with Mr. Whitefield, who seemed aged and justly worn out in the Master's service

 

28/1/1765/ – Monday. I had breakfast with Mr. Whitefield, who seemed aged and justly worn out in the Master's service. Though he was not much more than fifty years old. As for me, it has pleased God that now, at sixty-three, I have no sickness, no weakness, no decay; no difference from when I was twenty-five years old; except that I have few teeth and more gray hair. [36]

 

Mr. Whitefield said to me, 'You've got nothing to do there

 

When I was first invited to Scotland (about fourteen years ago), Mr. Whitefield said to me, 'You have nothing to do there; for your principles are so well known, that if you spoke like an angel no one would listen to you

 

For Dr. Erskine

EDINBURGH, April 24, 1765.

 

When I was first invited to Scotland (about fourteen years ago), Mr. Whitefield said to me, 'You have nothing to do there; for your principles are so well known, that if you spoke like an angel no one would listen to you. And if they did, you would have nothing to do but argue with each other from dawn to night.'

I replied, 'If God sends me, the people will listen. And I will give them no cause to contest; for I will carefully avoid controversial points, and stick to the fundamental truths of Christianity. And if any still begin to contest, it may be; but I will not argue with them.'

I came: hundreds and thousands gathered to listen. But I was able to keep my word. I avoided everything that could create conflict and insisted on the most important points—the religion of the heart and salvation by faith—at all times and in all places. And so I cut off every occasion for dispute from the first day until this very hour. And this you surprisingly improve until it becomes a defect, interpret it as a proof of dishonesty. You also accuse me of having unhealthy principles and of saying, 'Right opinions are (sometimes) not part of religion.'

Note: John Wesley first went to Scotland to preach in 1751. [37]

 

God has repressed their furious and bitter zeal through Mr. Whitefield

 

God has repressed her furious and bitter zeal through Mr. Whitefield. He has caused the first breach among the Methodists. Oh! May God enable you to heal her! God has spoken to me

 

01/03/1766 – Friday. Mr. B. visited me, now calm and with a right mind. God has repressed his furious and bitter zeal through Mr. Whitefield. He has caused the first breach among the Methodists. Ah! May God enable him to heal her! God has spoken to me. [38]

 

Mr. Whitefield called me

 

Mr. Whitefield has called me. He desires nothing but peace and love. Fanaticism cannot stand before him

 

January 31, 1766 – Friday. Mr. Whitefield has called me. He desires nothing but peace and love. Fanaticism cannot stand before him, but pushes him out of his head wherever he goes. [39]

 

I am very far from having Mr. Whitefield's mind

 

I spent a few hours at the meeting of the National Assembly. I am very far from having the mind of Mr. Whitefield, who directs the solemnity of this meeting. I have been little less solemn

 

May 26, 1766 – Monday. I spent a few hours at the meeting of the National Assembly. I am very far from having the mind of Mr. Whitefield, who directs the solemnity of this meeting. I have been little less solemn. I have been extremely shocked at the behavior of many members. Had any preacher behaved thus in our Conference, he would have had no place with us any more. [40]

 

In the evening, I was given Mr. Whitefield's office on the docks

 

Invited to preach in the Tabernacle at Plymouth, I began about two o'clock in the afternoon. In the evening I was given Mr. Whitefield's room on the docks, but, large as it is, it could not restrain the congregation

 

September 7, 1767—Tuesday. Invited to preach in the Tabernacle, Plymouth, I started about two o'clock in the afternoon. In the evening, I was given Mr. Whitefield's room on the docks, but, large as it is, it could not contain the congregation. At the close of the sermon, a huge stone was thrown against one of the windows, and came just behind me, falling at my feet, the best place it could have been found. So that no one was injured or frightened, and many did not even know what had happened. [41]

 

Let all of Mr. Whitefield's society who were pleased, be present at the feast of love

 

Let all of Mr. Whitefield's society who were pleased, be present at the feast of love that followed. I hope that "we shall know war no more" except against the world, the flesh, and the devil

 

10/11/1767—Sunday. I preached in Princess Street, and a little before five near New Square, where, notwithstanding the terrible wind, the congregation was exceedingly large. I allowed all of Mr. Whitefield's society who were pleased, to be present at the love feast that followed. I hope that "we shall know no more war," except against the world, the flesh, and the devil. [42]

 

I rejoice at Mr. Whitefield's behavior

 

I rejoice at Mr. Whitefield's behavior. [Whitefield had visited Yarm on September 23.] At last he meets me halfway

 

To George Merryweather

BRISTOL, October 6, 1767.

MY DEAR BROTHER,-- I rejoice at Mr. Whitefield's behaviour. [Whitefield had visited Yarm on September 23.] At last he meets me halfway. I have no objection to Mr. Oddie exchanging places with Matthew Lowes [Oddie was in Newcastle, and Lowes in Yarm.] for a round or two. If they are going to be quiet, you be quiet too. [The process See letter of January 29.] Get out of the fire as quickly as you can. I have carried many suits in the King's Bench, but I have never been reimbursed in one.--I am

Your affectionate brother. [43]

 

Everywhere Mr. Whitefield went, he labored in the same friendly, Christian manner

 

Everywhere Mr. Whitefield has been, he has worked in the same friendly and Christian manner. God has indeed effectually broken down the partition wall that stood between us. Thirty years ago we were one; then the sower of tara separates us; but now one stronger than he has made us one again

 

For Ms. Moon

NORWICH, December 6, 1767.

MY DEAREST SISTER,--I can easily believe that I would lack nothing that you could supply me; for I am convinced that your heart is like mine, as it is with all the 'souls which He Himself guarantees to unite in Divine communion.' What is always in your power is to bring me before the throne of grace. One thing in particular that I often desire is 'a quiet night of a different day'; that I may not have conflicts in the end, but rather, if God sees the good, before 'my flesh and my heart fail.'

Everywhere Mr. Whitefield has been, he has labored in the same friendly and Christian manner. God has indeed effectually broken down the partition wall that stood between us. Thirty years ago we were one; then the sower of tara separates us; but now one stronger than he has made us one again.

There is no weakness either in our body or in mind, but Satan endeavors to take advantage of it. This kind of apticism or apatheticism I originally regard as a pure effect of bodily constitution. Thus it is not imputable to us in any degree, unless we yield to it. So long as we resist diligently, it is no more blamed than drowsiness or weariness of the body.

Do many of those who have been saved from sin in their neighbourhood stand firm in their liberty, or have they had one, if not most, turned away from their steadfastness? How is it that so many are thrilled that in many places so few remain standing? Have you recently talked with Sister Heslop? Does she keep all the life she has had? John Eland and a few others in Hutton

Peace be multiplied upon you-- I am, my dear sister,

Your affectionate brother.

To Mrs. Emma Moon, at George Merryweather's house, in Yarm, Yorkshire. North Post. [44]

 

I spent a comfortable and profitable hour with Mr. Whitefield

 

I spent a comfortable and profitable hour with Mr. Whitefield, calling to mind the past times and the manner in which God prepared us for the work

 

01/09/1769 – Monday.

I spent a comfortable and profitable hour with Mr. Whitefield, calling to mind the past times and the manner in which God had prepared us for the work which He had placed in our hearts to be accomplished. [45]

 

I had another pleasant conversation with my old friend and ministry colleague, George Whitefield

 

I had another pleasant conversation with my old friend and colleague in the ministry, George Whitefield. His soul seems to be still vigorous, but his body sinks rapidly

 

27/02/1769 – Monday (London). I had another pleasant conversation with my old friend and colleague in the ministry, George Whitefield. His soul seems to be still vigorous, but his body sinks rapidly; unless God interposes, he will soon finish his labors. [46]

 

Wesley asks Whitefield for help in advising Methodist preachers in America

 

For the present, I must implore you to make up for my lack of service by encouraging our preachers, as you see fit, who are still comparatively young and inexperienced, by giving them such counsel as they think fit, and, above all, by exhorting them, not only to love one another, but, if it be possible, as far as they can live in peace with all men.

 

To George Whitefield

LEWISHAM, February 21, 1770.

MY DEAR BROTHER,-- Mr. Keen informed me some time ago of his safe arrival at Carolina; which, indeed, he could not doubt for a moment, notwithstanding the empty rumor of his expulsion, which was so common in London. I trust that our Lord has more work for you to do in Europe, as well as in America. And who knows, but before you return to England perhaps I shall make another visit to the New World? [See letters of February 17th and December 14th.] I have been strongly solicited by several friends of ours in New York and Philadelphia. They invoke many motives, some of which seem to carry considerable weight. And my age is no problem at all; for I bless God that my health is not nearly as good, but abundantly better in several respects than when I was twenty-five. But there are so many reasons on the other side that, as yet, I cannot determine anything; so I must wait for more in-depth light. Here I am, may the Lord make me as it seems that He is good. For the present, I must beg you to make up for my lack of service by encouraging our preachers, as you may best judge, who are still comparatively young and inexperienced, by giving them such counsel as they think fit, and, above all, by exhorting them, not only to love one another, but, if it be possible, as far as they can live in peace with all men.

Some time ago, since you left, I heard a circumstance which greatly concerned me—namely, that the College or Academy in Georgia had swallowed up the Orphan House. Shall I give my judgment without being asked? I think friendship demands that I should. Are there not, then, two points that come into consideration—a point of mercy and a point of justice? As to the former, it cannot be asked, Can there be greater charity on earth than to raise orphans? What is a college or academy compared to this? Unless you can have a college such as perhaps there is not on earth. I know the value of learning, and I am more in danger of valuing it too much than too little. But still, I cannot put the endowment to five hundred students, on the same level as saving the bodies, if not the souls also, of five hundred orphans. But let us pass from the point of mercy to that of justice. You have been given land and raised money for an Orphan House; Can you apply this to another purpose—at least, while there are still orphans in Georgia? I only touch upon it, though it is an important point, and leave it to your own consideration whether some of it may not be adequately applied to maintain the original design. By speaking thus freely on so delicate a subject, I have given you a fresh proof of the sincerity with which I am

His always affectionate friend and brother. [47]

 

I have received the melancholy news of Mr. Whitefield's death

 

 On my return to London, I had the melancholy news of Mr. Whitefield's death confirmed by his executors, who asked me to preach a sermon at his funeral, on Sunday, the 18th

 

10/11/1770 – Saturday. On my return to London, I had the melancholy news of Mr. Whitefield's death confirmed by his executors, who asked me to preach a sermon at his funeral, on Sunday, the 18th. For the purpose of writing about it, I retired to Lewisham on Monday, and on the following Sunday went to the chapel in Tottenham Court Road. An immense crowd was assembled, coming from all quarters of the city. I was somewhat afraid, at first, that the greater part of the congregation would not be able to hear me, but it pleased God that my voice should be strengthened, and even those at the door could hear me distinctly. It was a remarkable moment, and all remained all night; most appeared to be deeply touched; and an impression was left on many, that this moment would not be so quickly erased. The appointed time for the commencement of the funeral service in the Tabernacle was at half past five o'clock in the afternoon, but it was completely full at three o'clock. Then I began to preach at four. At first the noise was intense, but it subsided as I began to speak, and my voice was again strengthened, so that all who were there could hear, except for an accidental noise having hindered, here or there, for a few moments. Oh! That all might hear his voice; with him are the matters of life and death; and it is He who, aloud, because of this unexpected blow, calls all his children to love one another! [48]

 

To preach the sermon at Mr. Whitefield's funeral service

 

Having been asked by the Trustees of the Greenwich Tabernacle to preach the sermon at Mr. Whitefield's funeral service, I went there to-day for that purpose; but not even this house could restrain the congregation

 

11/23/1770 – Friday. Having been asked by the Trustees of the Greenwich Tabernacle to preach the sermon at Mr. Whitefield's funeral service, I went there to-day for that purpose; but even this house could not restrain the congregation. Those who could not get in made some noise at first, but in a short time were silenced. Here, too, I believe that God has swept away that intolerance which had prevailed for many years. [49]

 

I wish to show all possible respect to the memory of this great and good man

 

Everywhere, I wish to show all possible respect to the memory of this great and good man

 

01/02/1771 – Wednesday

I preached in the evening at Deptford a sort of sermon on Mr. Whitefield's funeral service. Everywhere I wish to show all possible respect to the memory of this great and good man. [50]

 

 

 

 



[1] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[2] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1769/

[3] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/

[4] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/

[5] https://www.newroombristol.org.uk/content/uploads/2017/04/A_brief_guide_to_the_New_Room.pdf

[7] Diary of John Wesley. John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791. São Paulo, SP – Angular Editora, 2017.

[8] Diary of John Wesley. John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791. São Paulo, SP – Angular Editora, 2017.

[9] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1748/

[10] Diary of John Wesley. John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791. São Paulo, SP – Angular Editora, 2017.

[11] Diary of John Wesley. John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791. São Paulo, SP – Angular Editora, 2017.

[12] Diary of John Wesley. John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791. São Paulo, SP – Angular Editora, 2017.

[13] Diary of John Wesley. John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791. São Paulo, SP – Angular Editora, 2017.

[14] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1770/

[15] Diary of John Wesley. John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791. São Paulo, SP – Angular Editora, 2017.

[16] Diary of John Wesley. John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791. São Paulo, SP – Angular Editora, 2017. 

[17] Diary of John Wesley. John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791. São Paulo, SP – Angular Editora, 2017. 

[18] Diary of John Wesley. John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791. São Paulo, SP – Angular Editora, 2017. 

[19] Diary of John Wesley. John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791. São Paulo, SP – Angular Editora, 2017. 

[20] Diary of John Wesley. John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791. São Paulo, SP – Angular Editora, 2017. 

[21] Diary of John Wesley. John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791. São Paulo, SP – Angular Editora, 2017. 

[22] Diary of John Wesley. John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791. São Paulo, SP – Angular Editora, 2017.

[23] Diary of John Wesley. John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791. São Paulo, SP – Angular Editora, 2017. 

[24] Diary of John Wesley. John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791. São Paulo, SP – Angular Editora, 2017. 

[25] Diary of John Wesley. John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791. São Paulo, SP – Angular Editora, 2017. 

[26] Diary of John Wesley. John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791. São Paulo, SP – Angular Editora, 2017. 

[27] Diary of John Wesley. John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791. São Paulo, SP – Angular Editora, 2017. 

[28] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1748/

[29] Diary of John Wesley. John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791. São Paulo, SP – Angular Editora, 2017. 

[30] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1753/

[31] Diary of John Wesley. John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791. São Paulo, SP – Angular Editora, 2017. 

[32] Diary of John Wesley. John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791. São Paulo, SP – Angular Editora, 2017. 

[33] Diary of John Wesley. John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791. São Paulo, SP – Angular Editora, 2017.

[34] Diary of John Wesley. John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791. São Paulo, SP – Angular Editora, 2017. 

[35] Diary of John Wesley. John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791. São Paulo, SP – Angular Editora, 2017.

[36] Diary of John Wesley. John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791. São Paulo, SP – Angular Editora, 2017. 

[37] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1765/

[38] Diary of John Wesley. John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791. São Paulo, SP – Angular Editora, 2017.

[39] Diary of John Wesley. John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791. São Paulo, SP – Angular Editora, 2017. 

[40] Diary of John Wesley. John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791. São Paulo, SP – Angular Editora, 2017.

[41] Diary of John Wesley. John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791. São Paulo, SP – Angular Editora, 2017.

[42] Diary of John Wesley. John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791. São Paulo, SP – Angular Editora, 2017. 

[43] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1767/

[44] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1767/

[45] Diary of John Wesley. John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791. São Paulo, SP – Angular Editora, 2017. 

[46] Diary of John Wesley. John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791. São Paulo, SP – Angular Editora, 2017. 

[47] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1770/

[48] Diary of John Wesley. John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791. São Paulo, SP – Angular Editora, 2017. 

[49] Diary of John Wesley. John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791. São Paulo, SP – Angular Editora, 2017.

[50] Diary of John Wesley. John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791. São Paulo, SP – Angular Editora, 2017. 

Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas deste blog