Wesleyan doctrine on temptation

 

Odilon Massolar Chaves

  


Copyright © 2026, Odilon Massolar Chaves

All rights reserved to the author.

It is allowed to read, copy and share for free.

Article 184 of the Penal Code and Law 96710 of February 19, 1998.

Books published in the Wesleyan Digital Library: 902

Books published by the author: 942

Cover: Travels With Wesley - facebook

https://www.learnreligions.com/how-to-avoid-temptation-701018

Odilon Massolar Chaves is a retired Methodist pastor, with a doctorate in Theology and History from the Methodist University of São Paulo.

Son of Rev. Adherico Ribeiro Chaves and Roza Massolar Chaves.

He is married to RoseMary.

He has two daughters: Liliana and Luciana.

His thesis dealt with the Methodist revival in England in the eighteenth century and its contribution as a paradigm for our days.

 

Table of Contents

 

·       Introduction

·       Key Points of Wesleyan Doctrine on Temptation

·       Overcoming temptations after the warming heart experience

·       If God allows you to be attacked by strong and unusual temptations

·       But also talk about your sorrows, weaknesses, and temptations

·     Protect her from some of the dangerous temptations that come with youth

·       Have you seen so much difficulty and temptation

·    Pour all your thoughts, problems, and temptations into each other's bosoms

·       Temptations were on all sides

·    I hope you will find no return from this death, though you will certainly find innumerable temptations

·       It must prepare your soul for temptations

·       Miscellaneous temptations and deliverances

·       To the One who can sustain you through all temptations

·       Youth is the season of many of the most dangerous temptations

·       Perhaps our wise Lord sometimes makes that love a balance against temptation

·       You may encounter and indeed expect countless temptations

·    The lack of one or the other must have exposed him to a thousand temptations

·   And the temptations of anger that arise from here are often more lucrative than any other

·       In fact, it will expose you to many temptations

·    Pour all your thoughts, problems, and temptations into each other's bosoms

·    Temptations of pride you may have, or of anything; but that does not stain your soul

·    In fact, you will feel temptations of various kinds, and sometimes closing you on all sides

·       Increase Your Temptations

·       Despite a thousand temptations

·       It is the best prevention of all temptations

·       Despite all the temptations

·       When a preacher travels without his wife, he is exposed to numerous temptations

·     Firm in the freedom with which Christ has set them free, and this in spite of various temptations

·       Protect her from some of the temptations

·       Surely you will be tried by a thousand temptations

·       To overcome great temptations requires a lot of grace

· In the midst of a thousand temptations, you can maintain an unblemished purity

·  His grace is sufficient to keep you in, and to deliver you from all temptations

·         But all temptations will work together for good

·       Each day will bring only temptation and enough power to overcome it

·       Surely spiritual temptations will pass through your spirit

·       They gave rise to many, if not most, of those temptations

·       But you can stomp them all under your feet

·       As soon as you put on your armor, it was fitting that it should be tried on 

 

Introduction 

 

"Wesleyan Doctrine on Temptation" is a 56-page book based on Wesley's letters and diary.

"John Wesley's teaching on temptations is based on constant spiritual vigilance, total surrender to Christ, and the fight against sin from its 'front door' (such as thoughts and looks)."[1]

Some of Wesley's principles about temptation:

·       Youth is the season of many of the most dangerous temptations

·       Temptation itself is not a sin

·       Temptation is a permission from God for good purposes

·       There won't be a temptation you can't bear

·       Grace is sufficient to overcome temptations.

To Mrs. Fuller, in 1783, Wesley said, "Temptations, indeed, you must expect. But you may trample them all under your feet: His grace is sufficient for you." [2] 

Soon after the warming heart experience, Wesley suffered temptations, but he was an overcomer. 

He said, May 24, 1738: "I strove, yes, I fought, with all my strength under law, and under grace. However, if sometimes, or even often, I was vanquished, now I am always a conqueror." [3] 

Wesley teaches about armor and anointing for us to overcome. To Elizabeth Briggs, on April 14, 1771, Wesley said, "As soon as you put on your armor, it was fitting that you should be tested; so God has prepared for you the occasions of fighting, that you may overcome, and know both your own weakness and your strength. Each day will bring only temptation and power sufficient to overcome you; and, as it is said, temptations, with deliverances distinct from them, are of much avail.' The anointing of the Holy One is given to believers for just this purpose." [4] 

At a time when temptations are almost no longer talked about, it is important to know their teaching in order to be winners.

 

The Author


Key Points of Wesleyan Doctrine on Temptation

 

Temptation is not sin itself: "Wesley taught that to be tempted is not to sin. Real sin begins when there is consent or voluntary surrender of the human will to inadequate desire." [5]

To Peggy Dale, on December 31, 1765, Wesley stated, "Temptations of pride you may have, or of anything; but it does not stain your soul. In the midst of a thousand temptations, you can maintain an undefiled purity." [6]

The more we sanctify ourselves, the more we are tempted

To Hannah Ball, on December 9, 1771, Wesley stated, "It is no wonder that as your desires increase to the whole image of God, so do your temptations, especially coming from that enemy of all righteousness." [7] 

Surveillance at the "front door"

Wesley "warned that falls rarely happen all at once; they begin with small concessions, undisciplined looks, or fed thoughts that inflame the imagination and distance the soul from the presence of God." [8]

Distance from evil

"Wesley directed the faithful to keep as far away as possible from the occasions of falling, writing in his famous letters that one should carefully avoid opportunities that favor evil." [9]

To John Ogilvie, on February 21, 1786, Wesley stated, "But whether you are sick or healthy, if you stay in His way, you must prepare your soul for temptations. For how shall we overcome if we do not fight?" [10]

The Sufficiency of Grace

"He held that no temptation is greater than the grace of God bestowed upon the believer, and that the power of the Holy Spirit enables a person to say 'no' to sin." [11]

To Mrs. Barton on December 30, 1774, Wesley said, "If rightly observed that in judging of the grace which God has given us, we ought equally to consider what our temptations are, for a little grace balances small temptations, but to overcome great temptations much grace is required." [12]

Total and radical surrender

 "To overcome the force of temptation, Wesley preached that one cannot negotiate with sin. It is necessary to completely surrender one's will, plans and desires to Jesus Christ."[13]

To his nephew Samuel Wesley, March 18, 1788, Wesley said, "I give you to him who can sustain you through all temptations." [14]

We can overcome temptations

To Mrs. Fuller, in 1783, Wesley said, "Temptations, indeed, you must expect. But you may trample them all under your feet: His grace is sufficient for you." [15] 

The Armor and Anointing to Overcome 

To Elizabeth Briggs, on April 14, 1771, Wesley speaks of armor and anointing: As soon as you put on your armor, it was fitting that you should be tested; so God has prepared for you the occasions of struggle, that you may conquer, and know both your own weakness and your strength. Each day will bring only temptation and power sufficient to overcome you; and, as it is said, temptations, with deliverances distinct from them, avail much.' The anointing of the Holy One is given to believers for just this purpose." [16] 

 

Overcoming temptations after the warming heart experience

 

If sometimes, or even often, I was defeated, now I am always a winner

 

Wesley's diary, May 24, 1738

"In the evening I went very grudgingly to a society, in Aldersgate Street, where the person was reading Luther's preface to the Epistle to the Romans. About a quarter to nine, while he was describing the changes which God works in the heart, by faith in Christ, I felt my heart strangely warmed. I felt that I had trusted in Christ—Christ alone, for salvation; and an assurance was given me that he had taken upon my sins, even my own, and had saved me from the law of sin and death. I began to pray with all my might for those who had, in a most special manner, spitefully used and persecuted me. Then I openly testified to all what I now, for the first time, felt in my heart. But not long before the enemy had suggested, "This cannot be faith; for where is thy joy?" Then I was taught that peace and victory over sin were essential to faith in the Captain of our salvation; but as to the imparting of joy, which usually belongs to its beginning, especially in those who have deeply lamented, God sometimes withholds it, according to the deliberations of his own will. After returning home, I was buffeted by many temptations, but I cried out, and they fled. They returned again and again. And as often as I lifted up my eyes, he "sent me help from his holy place." And in this I ascertained what chiefly consisted the difference between this and my former state. I strove, yes, fought, with all my might under law, and under grace. But if sometimes, or even often, I was overcome, now I am always a conqueror." [17]

 

My soul is still at peace, but still oppressed by the manifold temptations

 

05/26 – Friday. My soul remains at peace, but still oppressed by the manifold temptations. I asked Mr. Telchig, the Moravian, what to do. He told me, "You must not fight against them as you have done before, but flee from them the moment they appear, and find refuge in the wounds of Jesus." [18]


On this day my spirit has been enlarged, so that, though I am now assailed by many temptations, I am more than a conqueror

 

May 27 – Saturday. Believing that one reason for my lack of joy is lack of time to pray, I resolved not to perform any task until I went to church in the morning, and continued to pour out my heart before God. On this day my spirit was enlarged, so that, though I am now assailed by many temptations, I am more than a conqueror, gaining more power thereby to trust and rejoice in God my Saviour. [19]

Among Wesley's letters, we find these statements and guidelines on temptations:

 

If God allows you to be attacked by strong and unusual temptations

 

I am glad that you can speak and write to me freely; it may be useful to you, especially if God permits you to be assailed by strong and unusual temptations. I should not be surprised if that happened: though it may never happen; especially if you remain simple—if, when you are assailed by that wicked one, you do not reason with him, but only look up for help, hanging on to him who washed you with his own blood.

 

For Mrs. Marston

CHESTER, April 1, 1770.

MY DEAR SISTER,-- As I have not had time to converse with you as I would at Worcester, I was exceedingly glad to see you at Wednesbury. [Wesley was at Worcester on the 14th and 15th of March, and at Wednesbury on the 21st. See the letters of the 16th of March and the 11th of August.] It was just what I desired. And surely our Lord will not withhold from us any good thing. I am glad that you can speak and write with me freely; it may be useful to you, especially if God permits you to be assailed by strong and unusual temptations. I should not be surprised if that happened: though it may never happen; especially if you remain simple—if, when you are attacked by that wicked one, you do not reason with him, but only look up for help, hanging on to him who washed you with his own blood. Do you now find power to "rejoice forever"? Can you "pray without ceasing"? Is your heart for Him, even without a voice? And do you "give thanks in all things"? Is all your desire for Him? And do you still find an inward testimony that He has cleansed your heart? Stand firm, then, in that glorious freedom with which Christ has set you free--I am, dear Molly,

Your affectionate brother.

I hope to be in Glasgow around the 17th of this month. [20]

 

But also talk about your sorrows, weaknesses, and temptations

 

And speak not only of your joys and comforts; this is well pleasing to flesh and blood: but speak also of your sorrows, weaknesses, and temptations; it pleases God, and will be a means of uniting you together by a bond that will never be broken

 

For Mrs. Marston

ST. IVES, August 26, 1770.

MY DEAR SISTER,-- Your last gave me special satisfaction, because I was jealous of you. I feared that you, like some others, had received that dangerous opinion that we must sometimes be in darkness. Wherever you are, oppose it, and encourage all who now walk in the light to expect not only continuity, but the increase of it until the perfect day. It is certain that, unless we grieve the Holy Spirit, He will never take away what He has given. On the contrary, He will add to it continually, until we come to the measure of the full stature of Christ.

I am glad that the selected society meets constantly. Be sure to speak freely to each other. And do not speak only of your joys and comforts; this is well pleasing to flesh and blood: but speak also of your sorrows, weaknesses, and temptations; this pleases God, and will be a means of uniting you together by a bond that will never be broken.

I hope you don't miss any opportunity to speak a word for God, either to those who know Him or to those who don't. Why should you waste time? Time is short. Work on your work to the end! Today receive more grace and use it! Peace be upon your spirit-- I am, my dear sister,

Your affectionate brother.[21]

 

Protect her from some of the dangerous temptations that come with youth

 

A means of increasing the whole sacred spirit, and perhaps of protecting it from some of the dangerous temptations that befall youth 

 

To Mary Stokes

LYNN, November 9, 1771.

MY DEAR SISTER,-- How happy I should be able to be of service to one whom I admire so dearly! You have a heart susceptible to friendship; and it will not be a blessing to you, a means of increasing the whole holy spirit, and perhaps of protecting you from some of the dangerous temptations that befall youth

I must give you some advice: (1) Keep that which God has given; Never let slip any blessing you have received. Do not care for those who say, 'You must lose it.' No; You may have more or less joy—it depends on a thousand circumstances; but you need never lose a degree of love. (2) You never will if you are a careful steward of God's manifold gifts. To him who has—that is, uses what he has—will still be given, and in greater abundance. Therefore (3) Use all your grace. Awaken the gift of God that is in you. Be zealous, be active, according to your strength. Speak for God wherever you are. But in the meantime (4) Be humble! May this whole mind be in you, that was in Christ Jesus. Pray for the whole spirit of humility, that you may still feel that you are nothing, and feel these words,

All the strength, all the majesty, all the praise,

All glory to Christ, my Lord!

I often remember some friends about ten o'clock in the morning: I must take you among them, provided you also remember me at that time. I will never find your letters too long.--My dear Molly,

With affection. [22]

 

Have you seen so much difficulty and temptation

 

He has much experience in the things of God, and in the same way He has seen so much difficulty and temptation that He knows how to sympathize with those who are tempted

 

For Ms. Savage

LONDON, December 11, 1773.

MY DEAR SISTER,-- Whatever has been reported about Brother Wolfe [Francis Wolfe had moved from Gloucestershire to Bristol] has not reached my ears. I have never heard anything about him but good; nor do I know of anything attributed to him. I advise you to speak very freely with Mr. Collins [William Collins], assistant in Wiltshire South. See the letter of May 6, 1774 to her]. He has much experience in the things of God, and in like manner has seen so much difficulty and temptation that he knows how to sympathize with those who are tempted.

As you awaken the gift of God that is in you, you will find a steady increase in the inner life. Work to be more and more active, more and more devoted to Him. Be ready to do and suffer all His will; then He will

Sink you to the height of perfection,

The depth of humble love.

"I am, dear Molly, your affectionate brother.

To Miss Bolton, In Witney,Oxfordshire. [23]

 

Pour all your thoughts, problems, and temptations into each other's bosoms

 

Pour out all your thoughts, problems, and temptations into each other's bosom. God will often comfort and strengthen you for each other!

 

To Sarah Mallet

BRISTOL, July 31, 1790.

DEAR SALLY, -- I do not remember ever receiving any letter from you that I have not answered. I should have been afraid that my silence might cause you pain; and that I would not do at all. I am glad that you have broken off that relationship which could not but be a snare to you. Nothing is more profitable to us than to cut off a right hand or pluck out a right eye. If you continue in the work to which God has called you, you will often have occasion for it. You will have trials and more trials. But what then? Is not His grace sufficient for you? And has He not opened in every temptation a way for you to escape that you may endure it? Let not your hands hang down; God is on your side. And if you are rebuked for His name's sake, happy are you; and the spirit of glory and of God will rest upon you. If you want to have any books, let me know, and I will give orders to the Assistant. [See letters of December 15, 1789, and December 13, 1790.] It is well that you should know our sister [Elizabeth Reeve. See letters of February 21, 1789, and December 13, 1790.] who is also sometimes employed in the same labor of love; Providence has marked you as friends with each other, and there should be no reservations between you. Pour out all your thoughts, troubles, and temptations into each other's bosom. God will often comfort and strengthen you for one another! May his peace remain continually with you both! -- I am, my dear Sally, [24]

 

Temptations were on all sides

 

But they still had to wrestle with flesh and blood as well as with principalities and powers: so that temptations were on every side; and often temptations of such a kind that they could not speak in a room in which persons of all kinds, young and old, men and women, assembled

 

To Vicar Vincent Perronet

December 25, 1748

“(...) And Wesley speaks of how the partakers felt attending the meetings of Methodism: "VI. 1. By the blessing of God in their efforts to help one another, many found the pearl of great price. Justified by faith, they had 'peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.' These felt a more tender affection than before for those who were partakers of a similar precious faith; and thus arose so much confidence in each other, that they poured out their souls in each other's bosom. Indeed, they had great need of doing this; for the war was not over, as they supposed; but they still had to wrestle both with flesh and blood and with principalities and powers: so that temptations were on every side; and often temptations of such a kind that they could not speak in a room in which persons of all sorts, young and old, male and female, assembled."

 

"These, therefore, wanted some means of closer union; they wanted to pour out their hearts without reserve, especially in regard to the sin which still easily overtook them, and the temptations which were most likely to prevail upon them."

 

Wesley, then, proceeds to speak of a necessity of a closer union" 2. These, therefore, wanted some means of closer union; they wished to pour out their hearts without reserve, especially in regard to the sin which still easily overtook them, and the temptations which were most likely to prevail upon them. And they were most desirous of it when they observed that it was the express counsel of an inspired writer: 'Confess your faults one to another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed.' (...).

 

6. Great and many are the advantages which have since flowed from this closer union of believers with one another. They prayed for one another, that they might be healed of the faults they had confessed; and so it was. The chains were broken, the bands were broken, and sin had no more dominion over them. Many were delivered from temptations from which they had hitherto found no escape. They were built up in our holiest faith. They rejoiced in the Lord more abundantly. They were strengthened in love, and most effectually provoked to abound in every good work," Wesley explained. (...)” [25]

 

I hope you will find no return from this death, though you will certainly find innumerable temptations

 

God has given you to enjoy a clear deliverance from consanguineous sin. I hope you will find no return from that death, though you will certainly encounter innumerable temptations. But beware not to discard that confidence which brings great reward in reward. You need never again feel pride, anger, or any other evil temper

 

To Penelope Newman  

 

NEAR BRISTOL, MARCH 6, 1772.

MY DEAREST SISTER,-- You are called to do all you can for God. How little is it all! Therefore, by all means, find this other class, and it will be a blessing to your own soul.

When I spoke to you for the last time, God gave you to enjoy a clear deliverance from inbred sin. I hope you will find no return from that death, though you will certainly find innumerable temptations. But beware of discarding that confidence which brings great reward in reward. You need never again feel pride, anger, or any other evil temper. The Lord loves you, and His grace is sufficient for you. Ask, and receive, that your joy may be full.--I am, my dear sister,

With affection. [26]

Note: (Or congenital/innate sin) refers to original sin, the corruption of human nature inherited from Adam, and the root of selfishness present in humans (Google AI Mode Overview). [27]

 

It must prepare your soul for temptations

 

But whether you are sick or healthy, if you stay in His way, you must prepare your soul for temptations. For how shall we win if we do not fight?

 

For John Ogilvie

LONDON, February 21, 1786.

MY DEAR BROTHER, - See, God ordains all right. You have reason to be thankful both for your sickness and for your recovery. [He had fallen ill soon after his appointment to the Isle of Man, but was now recovered.] But, whether sick or healthy, if you stay in His way, you must prepare your soul for temptations. For how shall we win if we do not fight? Go forth, then, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. Fight the good fight of faith and look forward to eternal life! Salvation is at hand! Seek, desire nothing more! - I am

Your affectionate brother. [28]

 

Miscellaneous temptations and deliverances

 

Let each one, in order, speak freely, clearly, and concisely, as much as he can, of the real state of his heart with its various temptations and deliverances, since the last meeting

 

1/05/1738

Tonight our little society began, in Fetter Lane, with Peter Böhler. Our fundamental rules are as follows: In obedience to the command of God, through James, on the advice of Peter Böhler, we agreed that: 1. We would meet once a week, to "confess our faults to one another, and pray for one another, that we may be healed."72 2. The people would be divided into several groups, or into small companies, none of which would consist of less than five or more than ten persons. 3. Each one, in order, should speak freely, clearly, and concisely, as far as he can, of the real state of his heart with its various temptations and deliverances, from the last meeting. 4. All groups should have a conference, at eight, every Wednesday, beginning and ending with song and prayer. 5. Anyone who wishes to be admitted into this society should be asked, "What are the reasons for desiring this? Are you entirely open, using no kind of reservation? Have you any objection to any of our orders? (Which may then be read.) 6. When any new member is proposed, let each of those present speak clearly and freely about the objection he has to him. 7. Those against whom no reasonable objection arises, let them be, for the purpose of their test, formed into one or more distinct groups, and some persons agree to attend them. 8. After two months of probation, if no objection appears, they may be admitted to the society. 9. Every four Sabbaths is to be observed as a day of general intercession. 10. On Sunday, seven nights in succession, let the general feast of love be 11. No particular member is to be admitted, if he acts in any thing contrary to any order of the society. And that, if some persons, after being thrice admonished, do not conform to it, they are no longer to be regarded as members. [29]

 

To the One who can sustain you through all temptations

I surrender you to the One who can sustain you through all temptations

 

To your nephew Samuel Wesley

STROUD, March 18, 1788.

DEAR SAMMY, -- I have long ago cared much for you; but never more so than now. Now you are in a critical situation, and every hour is important. Your father, to all appearances, is trembling over the grave, ready to leave you, with all the first inexperience of youth, under his tuition. It was a time when you would have taken my advice. But now Miss Freeman has taught you another lesson! [See the letter of August 19, 1784 to him.] Alas! What a fatal step it was that I do not care one whit for one opinion or another. I care not who is the head of the Church, so long as you are a Christian! But what a grievous loss it is to you to be cut off from any pretense of this preaching, which is more calculated than any other in England to make you a true Bible Christian. O Sammy, I take it upon myself to say that if you had not neglected the opportunity of hearing your father and me preach, you would have been a different man than you are now.

But it seems that time has passed! Your father is on duty. You probably won't see him for long; and you don't know you'll see me anymore. Whether you like it or not, I sincerely advise you to make friends with Mr. Dickinson. [Peard Dickinson.] He is a sensible and pious man, and has a fond regard for you. I give you to him who can sustain you through all temptations. -- I am, dear Sammy,

Your caring uncle. [30]

 

Youth is the season of many of the most dangerous temptations

 

Youth is the season of many of the most dangerous temptations that relate to human nature. But, indeed, you are preserved from many of these by your firm determination to despise all creatures' dreams of happiness, and to give your heart to him who is worthy

 

To Elizabeth Ritchie

DONCASTER, July 15, 1776.

MY DEAR BETSY,--I suppose you wait for my writing first. No, I hope that is the case; otherwise I should be afraid that you have fallen ill again. How is your health. And how is your mind You find a communion as close and constant with God as ever. You are always happy. No circumstance interrupts or weakens your spirit of prayer. You feel nothing contrary to resignation You may say with all your heart--

Determined all Your will to obey,

Thy blessings I restore;

Give, Lord, or take away Your gifts,

I praise you forever.

Our Lord's word to you is, 'Feed my lambs.' It seems to me that I see you indulging yourself, as far as possible, in this blessed work; carrying the weak, as it were, in your breast, and gently leading the rest to the waters of comfort. In the meantime your own soul will enjoy a well of water springing up to eternal life. If you meet with any perplexing temptation in your way, do not hesitate to let me know. Youth is the season of many of the most dangerous temptations that relate to human nature. But, indeed, you are preserved from many of these by your firm determination to despise all creaturely dreams of happiness, and to give your heart to him who is worthy. And believe me to stay

With affection. [31]

 

Perhaps our wise Lord sometimes makes that love a balance against temptation

 

Perhaps our wise Lord sometimes makes this love a balance against the temptations of which you speak. You must certainly observe in everything; otherwise you would suffer loss

 

To Ann Bolton

PEYBROKE, August 25, 1771.

MY DEAREST SISTER,-- Now make me peace. Your affectionate letter has given me indescribable satisfaction. I am glad you have been with Sister Iles. She is a gem. Will she marry or not? I am also glad that you have better health; surely He will not hold you back anything good! But I cannot express how glad I am that your love has not grown cold. Perhaps our wise Lord sometimes makes this love a balance against the temptations of which you speak. You must certainly watch in everything; otherwise you would suffer loss. And you must always be active and zealous for God, forgetting yourself and simply following Him. But one warning I would give to my dear friend. Do not spend too much time at once in any company. One hour at a time is usually enough; and if we spend more, it will be less useful. O how I long for patience to have its perfect work in you, that you may be perfect in Him, and without anything! I forgive your past delay only on one condition: that you write quickly again. Do not let your works of mercy deprive you of time for private prayer; and do not fail to remember especially then, my dear Nancy, Yours with affection. [32]

 

You may encounter and indeed expect countless temptations

 

You may encounter, and indeed expect, countless temptations, until you seek happiness in this or that creature. But is every dart of fire repelled, so that it has no place in you

 

To Ann Bolton

LONDONDERRY, May 27, 1772.

Do you find as much inner life as ever a close and constant communion with God? Do you rejoice forever? In what sense do you pray without ceasing? Is your peace constant and unshakable? Does nothing disturb you? Do you not feel anger, or pride, or self-will contrary to God's will? Do you not feel an inclination to retreat in your heart? You may encounter and indeed expect countless temptations, even to seek happiness in this or that creature. But is every dart of fire repelled, so that it has no place in you

As to your question, it is only (in other words), Is there sin in a believer, or, Are we not sanctified for all time when we are justified? You have a full answer to this question, which has puzzled so many soulful souls, in these two sermons written expressly under the title, The Repentance of Believers and the Sin of Believers. [See Works, v. 144-70.] Read them carefully, and I believe you will want nothing more to confirm their truth. Yet you do well to exhort all who are justified to hold fast all that they have received. And it is certain that they will never need to lose their love, peace, or power until they are fully sanctified.

Your affectionate brother. [33]

 

The lack of one or the other must have exposed him to a thousand temptations

 

Now, if he remains honest and hardworking, he will want neither a job nor food. The lack of one or the other must have exposed him to a thousand temptations

 

For Arthur Keene

LONDON, February 17, 1785.

MY DEAR BROTHER, I thank you for the care you have taken in behalf of poor Robert Hide, [See letter of July 23, 1784.] and I am sincerely glad that you have finally succeeded. Now, if he continues honest and industrious, he will want neither employment nor food. The want of one or the other must have exposed him to a thousand temptations.

When several disapproved of my sending Mr. Rogers and his wife to Dublin, considering that they were not fit for the task, I was determined to revoke it, believing myself to be a competent judge both of the gifts and the grace of both. And the event met my expectations. I am not disappointed in my hope; and I am convinced that neither they nor you will ever be afraid to do good.

You have great reason to bless God for the good state of your temporal affairs as well. And, in fact, I have always observed that whenever God's work continues, He does not hold back any good things.

It was impossible to keep the present master unless his spirit had completely changed. He is extremely unjust. But I am afraid another one will be recommended to you who will probably not be better. I have known him since I was a child, and I warn you for sure. Take care of what you do. If you are wise, guarantee Mr. Fox at any cost. That man is sterling gold. [For school, see letter of March 3, 1784 to Keene. Patrick Fox became master.] But you will have no blessing from God or praise from the wise if you take this vile and sordid step (especially at this time!) of reducing the salary. You must give at least 40 a year.

As soon as I can, after the 10th of April, I decide (God willing) to embark for Dublin. I would be glad to accept your kind invitation. But it is a great way to go, especially in the evening. Otherwise, I should be more at home with you than anywhere else. [He stayed at the house of the preachers. See the letters of February 1 and April 11.] I commend you and yours to divine protection; and I am, dear Arthur,

Your affectionate friend and brother.

I hate the idea of our master maintaining a night school. That would swallow up the time he should have for his own evolution. Give him enough to live comfortably without this arduous routine.

February 20. "Please tell Mr. Rogers that I hope to see him before the middle of April, and to visit the classes." I am glad he wrote to Mr. Fox; but I have already told you what I think about the salary.

To Mr. Arthur Keene, Miltown Road,

Close to Dublin.

To Mr. Broadbent, in the Preaching House,

In Birstall, near Leeds. [34]

 

And the temptations of anger that arise from here are often more lucrative than any other

 

 And the temptations of anger that arise from here are often more profitable than any other. Yet certainly for the time being they are not joyful, but sorrowful; Then comes the peaceable fruit

 

To Philothea Briggs

WHITBY, Saturday, June 20, 1772.

MY DEAR PHILLY,--About this evening I hope to be in York; this fortnight in Keighley, Yorkshire; on that day, three weeks in Leeds; and the next two Saturdays in Epworth, near Thorne, Yorkshire.

I like you to think as I do, because it is a symbol that you love me; and every proof of it gives me a very sensible pleasure. Love me, if you can, as long as I live.

It is admirable to endure the weaknesses, nay, and even failures, of the true children of God. And the temptations of anger which arise from here are often more profitable than any other. Yet surely for the time being they are not joyful, but sorrowful; then comes the peaceable fruit. You will have just as much pain and disappointment as is most for your profit, and just enough to

Keep you dead for all below,

Only Christ decided to know.

Never make a point of reasoning that you do not have a greater or lesser share of suffering. You will have exactly what is best both in kind, degree and time. Ah, what a blessing it is to be in the hands of Him, who "does all things well"!

Of all gossip, religious gossip is the worst; it adds hypocrisy to the lack of charity, and effectually does the work of the devil in the name of the Lord. The leaders of every society can do much to drive it out among the Methodists. Let them, in the band or class, observe (1) 'Now we must not speak of absent persons, but simply of God and our own souls'; (2) 'Let the rule of our conversation here be the rule of all our conversation. Let us observe it (unless in some cases necessarily exempt) at all times and in all places.' If this is often inculcated, it will have a great effect.

Instead of giving a warning once, as to a grown person, you should give it to a child ten times. In this way you may prevent a sensible child from becoming unfamiliar with servants. Precautions should also be given frequently and intensely to the servants themselves [See letter of October 16, 1771.]; And they will not always be discarded if they have grace or judgment. [35]

 

In fact, it will expose you to many temptations

 

In fact, it will expose you to many temptations. Sometimes you will be in danger of discouragement: when you have worked hard in any situation, and you do not see any fruit of your labor. But remember: you will be rewarded for your work, not for your success

For Kitty Warren

COWBRIDGE, August 26, 1779.

MY DEAR SISTER, - Your conversation was exceedingly agreeable to me when I was with you last in Pembrokeshire. I think you have never been so free with me before: that is why I have never known you or loved you so well. You have reason to be grateful to God in many respects, especially for the desire He has given you to be of service to those around you to the greatest possible degree. Indeed, it will expose you to many temptations. Sometimes you will be in danger of discouragement: when you have worked hard in any situation, and see no fruit of your labor. But remember: you will be rewarded for your labor, not for your success. At other times you will be in danger of pride, which will creep into you in a thousand ways. But you know who you believed. He has never blotted out those who seek Him. In every temptation, He will find a way to escape so that you can endure it.

I have one thing to wish of you, that Sister Jones, Sister Moon, and you will take a leisurely hour together, and, after prayer, read calmly and impartially the Counsel to Methodists on Dress. [See letter of September 15, 1770; and for the Rules of Bands, Works, viii. 272-3.] Then read the Rules of Bands, which are punctually observed by our sisters who meet in bands in London and Bristol. If only the three of you had resolved to follow in their footsteps, the example would spread through the bands throughout Wales.

Wishing that patience has its perfect work in you until you are perfect and complete, lacking nothing, I remain, my dear Kitty,

Your fondly tender.

To Miss Kitty Warren, in Haverfordwest. [36]

 

Pour all your thoughts, problems, and temptations into each other's bosoms

 

It is well that you should know our sister who is also sometimes employed in the same labor of love; Providence has marked you out as friends with each other, and there should be no reservations between you. Pour out all your thoughts, troubles, and temptations into each other's bosom. God will often comfort and strengthen you for one another!

 

To Sarah Mallet

BRISTOL, July 31, 1790.

DEAR SALLY, -- I do not remember ever receiving any letter from you that I have not answered. I should have been afraid that my silence might cause you pain; and that I would not do at all. I am glad that you have broken off that relationship which could not but be a snare to you. Nothing is more profitable to us than to cut off a right hand or pluck out a right eye. If you continue in the work to which God has called you, you will often have occasion for it. You will have trials and more trials. But what then? Is not His grace sufficient for you? And has He not opened in every temptation a way for you to escape that you may endure it? Let not your hands hang down; God is on your side. And if you are rebuked for His name's sake, happy are you; and the spirit of glory and of God will rest upon you. If you want to have any books, let me know, and I will give orders to the Assistant. [See letters of December 15, 1789, and December 13, 1790.] It is well that you should know our sister [Elizabeth Reeve. See letters of February 21, 1789, and December 13, 1790.] who is also sometimes employed in the same labor of love; Providence has marked you as friends with each other, and there should be no reservations between you. Pour out all your thoughts, troubles, and temptations into each other's bosom. God will often comfort and strengthen you for one another! May his peace remain continually with you both! -- I am, my dear Sally, [37]

 

Temptations of pride you may have, or of anything; but that does not stain your soul

 

You just need to rest upon Him with all the weight of your soul. Temptations of pride you may have, or of anything; but that does not stain your soul. In the midst of a thousand temptations, you can maintain an unsullied purity

 

To Peggy Dale,

LONDON, December 31, 1765.

MY DEAR PEGGY,-- Whether this persuasion [See letter of November 6.] has come from nature or from God, a little time will show. It will be a matter of great joy to me if God gives you many years to glorify Him in the body before He removes you from the world of spirits. The comfort is that, life or death, it is all yours, seeing that you are Christ's: all is good, all is blessing! You have only to rest upon Him with all the weight of your soul. Temptations of pride you may have, or of anything; But this does not stain your soul. In the midst of a thousand temptations, you may maintain an unblemished purity. Abide in Him by simple faith at this time! Live, walk in love! May the Lord increase in you a thousandfold! Draw from His fullness grace upon grace. Tell me now and then what you feel. I cannot tell you how tender I am, my dear sister, your tender brother. [38]

 

In fact, you will feel temptations of various kinds, and sometimes closing you on all sides

 

Indeed, you will feel temptations of various kinds, and sometimes closing you on all sides. But still your soul can stand firm, believing in the Lord. By faith, you will overcome everything

 

To Peggy Dale

WITNEY, August 27, 1767.

MY DEAR PEGGY,-- I thought it would hardly be possible to love you better than before you came last in Newcastle. But your simple, artless, undisguised affection has greatly increased mine. At the same time it has increased my confidence in you, so that I feel that you are indescribably near and dear to me. Ah, how cordial is this that is given to cheer us on our way! Certainly

A sincerity of our great reward

On earth our Master pays!

We have every reason to give ourselves to Him without reserve and glorify Him with our bodies and spirits!

If you cling to Him with simplicity of heart, you certainly need not feel sin anymore. In fact, you will feel temptations of various kinds, and sometimes closing you on all sides. But still your soul can stand firm, believing in the Lord. By faith, you will overcome everything!

Believe as long as you are saved from the remnants of sin!

Believe in yourself for heaven.

--I am, my dear Peggy,

Your affectionate brother.

Don't forget what you learned in music. [She married Charles Avison, the organist.]

To Miss Dale. At the Orphans' Cottage, Newcastle-upon-Tyne. [39]

 

Increase Your Temptations

 

No wonder that as your desires grow in the whole image of God, so do your temptations, especially from that enemy of all righteousness

 

For Hannah Ball

LONDON, December 9, 1771.

MY DEAR SISTER,-- It always gives me pleasure to hear that you are not far from the hope of the gospel. No wonder that as your desires increase to the whole image of God, so do your temptations, especially coming from that enemy of all righteousness. I trust that Mr. Wells will be a blessing to you and to many,--especially if he visits from house to house; not only those with whom he eats or drinks, but the whole Company from one end of the city to the other. Advance with him by all means in this labor of love, though many difficulties attend it. But what are the crosses and difficulties for those who experience the living power of divine faith? You can do all things through Christ strengthening you, however painful it may be to flesh and blood. Now let the return of health be a blessing to you. Spend and be spent by a good Master.--I am, my dear sister,

Your affectionate brother. [40]

 

Despite a thousand temptations

 

And why should my dear friend, in spite of a thousand temptations, go through this every day?

 

For Mrs.Woodhouse

LONDON, November 18, 1770.

MY DEAR SISTER,-- It always gives me pleasure to hear from you, and to know that your soul prospers; as well as the work of God in various places, and hopefully in Lincolnshire. It will certainly happen if Mr. Ellis is strict in discipline. It is certain that no one is a member of a Methodist Society who does not have a ticket. That is a necessary thing; but it is only a small one. The main point is to conform to the Scriptural method of salvation—to have the mind that was in Christ, and to walk as Christ walked. I hope that all three your preachers will insist on this, which is the very essence of Christian perfection. And why should my dear friend, in spite of a thousand temptations, go through this every day?

This morning I must preach Mr. Whitefield's funeral sermon in the chapel of Tottenham Court Road and in the Tabernacle in the evening. It is true that it will be impossible, humanly speaking, for my voice to fill any of these places; especially if it is as full as a beehive, and consequently as hot as an oven. But nothing is impossible with God. Let us trust in Him, and He will do all well--I am, my dear sister,

Your affectionate brother.

To Mrs. Woodhouse, Owston Ferry. [41]

 

It is the best prevention of all temptations

 

Being fully engaged in all of God's work is the best prevention of all temptations

 

For Francis Wolfe

LONDON, October 25, 1776.

MY DEAR BROTHER,-- The remark you make is perfectly just. Nothing will so effectually stop the plague of Calvinism as preaching salvation from all sin, and exhorting all to wait for it now by bare faith. Let Brother Wright and all of you be diligent in this, and in visiting all our Societies (when possible) from house to house. To be fully engaged in all the work of God is the best prevention of all temptations. "I am Your affectionate friend and brother. [42]

 

Despite all the temptations

 

It's up to you to give a point to my fears, to show me that you're still the same, only more and more determined, despite all temptations, to move forward as best you can.

 

To Lady Maxwell

CASTLEBAR, May 7, 1767.

MY DEAREST MALADY,-- Your silence is not enough. I will not believe that you are tired of my correspondence unless I have it under your own hand. But when I have not heard from you for six or eight weeks, I begin to be filled with fears. I fear that you are dead; or that you are extremely ill, unable to write; or that your affection is cold, perhaps for me, perhaps for Him who loves you a thousand times better than I do. It is for you to give a point to my fears, to show me that you remain the same, only more and more determined, in spite of all temptations, to go on as best you can.

I did not know whether it was proper to ask any question about the judgment from which you said God had delivered you, for there are things of such a delicate nature that one hardly knows how to put them on paper. Otherwise, I think there is nothing you cannot mention to me, for I believe that no one cares about your happiness anymore. Have you found a return of the trial you have mentioned? Still, the God whom you serve can deliver you. Indeed, it does not surprise me that things make a deep impression on such a tender spirit. But still, is not his grace sufficient for you, and will not his strength be perfect in your weakness? Are you not still determined to seek your happiness in him, and to dedicate to God all that you have and all that is? Is it not your desire to be wholly given to Him, and to glorify Him with your body and spirit? Follow in His name, and in the power of His power! Through Him you will be more than a conqueror. He has often rebuked and corrected you; but He did not put you to death, and never will. 'You shall not die, but live, and declare the loving kindness of the Lord.'

I hope to receive a particular report of your health and your present situation in all respects. Need there be any reservations between us? Can't you speak to me in all simplicity? May the peace and love of God fill and govern your heart--I am, my dear Lady,

Your most affectionate servant. [43]

 

When a preacher travels without his wife, he is exposed to numerous temptations

 

When a preacher travels without his wife, he is exposed to numerous temptations. And you cannot travel with your wife until she is so transformed as to adorn the gospel. It seems, therefore, that all you can do these days is act as a local preacher

 

For Thomas Wride

BRISTOL, September 10, 1780.

MY DEAR BROTHER,-- When a preacher travels without his wife, he is exposed to innumerable temptations. And you cannot travel with your wife until she is so transformed as to adorn the gospel. It seems, therefore, that all you can do at present is to act as a local preacher.

If at any time you have reason to believe that the goods offered to you have been stolen, you cannot buy them with a clear conscience. When you have no special reason to think so, you can proceed without scruples.--I am

Your affectionate brother. [44]

 

Firm in the freedom with which Christ has set them free, and this in spite of various temptations

 

It gives me pleasure to find that you still stand firm in the liberty with which Christ has delivered you, and that in spite of various temptations. And these, indeed, you may yet look forward to; for Satan does not sleep, and he will endeavor to torment if he cannot destroy

 

To Elizabeth Ritchie

NEWCASTLE-UPON-TYNE, 23 June 1774.

MY DEAR BETSY,-- It gives me pleasure to find that you still stand firm in the liberty with which Christ has delivered you, and that in spite of various temptations. And these, indeed, you may yet look forward to; for Satan does not sleep, and he will endeavor to torment if he cannot destroy. No, God himself, as it is observed, 'prepareth for thee occasions of strife, that thou mayest conquer.' That you may still be called upon to fight the good fight of faith, and so to cling unto eternal life. An admirable help to conquer all is for believers to keep near, to walk hand in hand, and to provoke one another to love and good works. And one way of keeping the pure love of God is to exhort others to press it hard. When you meet on a Sunday morning, I doubt not, but that will be the chief subject of your prayers and conversations. Then you can expect to be more and more endowed with power from heaven, testifying that He is faithful and just both to forgive us our cans and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.--I remain His with affection. [45]

 

Protect her from some of the temptations

 

A blessing to you, a means of increasing all the holy spirit, and perhaps of protecting you from some of the dangerous temptations that come with youth

 

To Mary Stokes

LYNN, November 9, 1771.

MY DEAR SISTER,-- How happy I should be able to be of service to one whom I admire so dearly! You have a heart susceptible to friendship; and it will not be a blessing to you, a means of increasing the whole holy spirit, and perhaps of protecting you from some of the dangerous temptations that befall youth

I must give you some advice: (1) Keep that which God has given; Never let slip any blessing you have received. Do not care for those who say, 'You must lose it.' No; You may have more or less joy—it depends on a thousand circumstances; but you need never lose a degree of love. (2) You never will if you are a careful steward of God's manifold gifts. To him who has—that is, uses what he has—will still be given, and in greater abundance. Therefore (3) Use all your grace. Awaken the gift of God that is in you. Be zealous, be active, according to your strength. Speak for God wherever you are. But in the meantime (4) Be humble! May this whole mind be in you, that was in Christ Jesus. Pray for the whole spirit of humility, that you may still feel that you are nothing, and feel these words,

All the strength, all the majesty, all the praise,

All glory to Christ, my Lord!

I often remember some friends about ten o'clock in the morning: I must take you among them, provided you also remember me at that time. I will never find your letters too long.--My dear Molly,

With affection. [46]

 

Surely you will be tried by a thousand temptations

 

But this admits of a thousand degrees and variations, and will certainly be tried by a thousand temptations; But in all these things you will be more than a conqueror

 

To Miss March

ATHLONE, April 14, 1771.

What comes of you pleases me; Your letters always give me pleasure, but none more so than the last, which brings the welcome tidings of the revival of God's work among you. You will encourage me--T--[Miss Thornton, of London, an intimate friend of John Fletcher. See Bulmer's Memoirs of Mrs. Elizabeth Mortimer, p. 115; and letters of July 6, 1770, and December 18, 1780.] to send me a circumstantial account of God's dealings with his soul. Mr. Norris observes that no part of history is so profitable as that which relates to great changes in states and kingdoms; and it is certain that no part of Christian history is so profitable as that which relates to great changes made in our souls: these, therefore, should be carefully observed and valued for the encouragement of our brethren.

I am glad that you have at last broken those evil reasonings which have so long repressed you, and prevented you from acknowledging the things which have been freely bestowed upon you by God. Always remember that the essence of Christian holiness is simplicity and purity; one design, one desire—total devotion to God. But this admits of a thousand degrees and variations, and will certainly be tried by a thousand temptations; but in all these things you will be more than a conqueror.

It takes God (as it were) an abundance of pains to hide man's pride; and you are in more danger of it than many, if only for outward advantages. You are happy if you use these for that one end, to be devoted to God within and without, and that more than it might be under other circumstances. I have just conversed with that excellent woman, Molly Penington [See letter of May 30.]: what a mystery that one of such gifts and of so much grace should be fixed in a place where it is almost useless! How much more thankful you may be to have the opportunity of employing every talent God has given you. If you would keep the talent of health, go to bed early and rise early. [47]

 

To overcome great temptations requires a lot of grace

 

If it is well observed that in order to judge the grace which God has given us, we must equally consider what our temptations are, for a little grace balances small temptations, but to overcome great temptations much grace is needed

 

For Ms. Barton

LONDON, December 30, 1774.

if rightly observed that, in order to judge of the grace which God has given us, we must equally consider what our temptations are, for a little grace balances small temptations, but to overcome great temptations much grace is required.

MY DEAR SISTER,--- well observed that, in judging of the grace which God has given us, we ought equally to consider what our temptations are, for a little grace balances small temptations, but to overcome great temptations much grace is required. Before, you had little temptation, and by His grace you could rejoice with joy unspeakable. At present you do not find that joy. No; for you have the temptations which you did not have at that time. You have little children, you have worldly care, and often a weak body. Therefore you may have much more grace than before, though you have not so much joy; nay, though for a time you have no joy at all, but sorrow and heaviness; Yes, though you must say with your Master, 'My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even unto death.' Ah, what gain are you by it! when you are able to say in the midst of all, 'The cup which my Father hath given me, shall I not drink it?' 'See how He loveth whom He chastises! And what is in the end? An eternal weight of glory!

It's stopped for both of you. Try it now—I am.

Your affectionate brother. [48]

 

In the midst of a thousand temptations, you can maintain an unblemished purity

 

In the midst of a thousand temptations, you can maintain an unblemished purity. Abide in him by simple faith at this time! Live, walk with love! May the Lord increase in you a thousandfold!

 

To Peggy Dale,

LONDON, December 31, 1765.

MY DEAR PEGGY,-- Whether this persuasion [See letter of November 6.] has come from nature or from God, a little time will show. It will be a matter of great joy to me if God gives you many years to glorify Him in the body before He removes you from the world of spirits. The comfort is that, life or death, it is all yours, seeing that you are Christ's: all is good, all is blessing! You have only to rest upon Him with all the weight of your soul. Temptations of pride you may have, or of anything; But this does not stain your soul. In the midst of a thousand temptations, you may maintain an unblemished purity. Abide in Him by simple faith at this time! Live, walk in love! May the Lord increase in you a thousandfold! Draw from His fullness grace upon grace. Tell me now and then what you feel. I cannot tell you how tender I am, my dear sister, your tender brother. [49]

 

His grace is sufficient to keep you in, and to deliver you from all temptations

 

His grace is sufficient to keep you in, and to deliver you from all temptations. And the anointing of the Holy One who abides with you will guide you from time to time, and will enable all the fiery darts of the wicked to return to the east upon your head

 

To Ann Bolton

LONDON, January 14, 1780.

If I could be angry with my dear Nancy for anything, I should stay for you not to use me as a friend. If you believe so, why don't you tell me without reservation when there is something I can serve you in? You can judge for yourself whether it does not give me particular satisfaction. It will always be so, if you will allow me to give any help that is in my power.

What you say about feeling the peace of God in the midst of the most exquisite sufferings does not surprise me in the least. [See the letter of February 26 to her.] 'I feel my pains,' says Mr. De Renty, 'in all their extremity. But by the grace of God I give myself to Him and not to them.' And again: 'I cannot say, but my soul is deeply grieved with the feeling of so great a loss; yet I feel such joy that the Lord's will is done, not that of a poor sinner, that, but for offending, I might dance and sing.'

I saw a stranger case than any of these a few years ago. I saw just the suffering on a human face like that which appears in the wax taken from the face of Cartouche [Louis Dominique Cartouche, head of a Parisian band of thieves, broken on the wheel in 1721.] as he dismounted on the wheel. In the morning I asked, 'Were you not in great distress when I saw you last night?' She replied, 'I was in such affliction that I was about to rend my soul and body; and yet, at that very time, I was as happy as I could be from heaven.' I am not surprised, therefore, that all the trials you feel do not interrupt the peace of God. They never need to. His grace is sufficient to keep you in, and to deliver you from all temptations. And the anointing of the Holy One who remains with you will guide you from time to time, and will enable all the fiery darts of the wicked to return to the east upon your head.

Still love me, my dear Nancy, and know me as I am

Its invariably. [50]

 

But all temptations will work together for good

 

Tempted you are, and you will be; otherwise you could not know your own weakness and your Master's strength. But all temptations will work together for good; all are for your benefit, that you may be a part of His holiness

 

To Philothea Briggs

BANDON, May 2, 1771.

MY DEAR PHILLY,--There is no fear that I should forget you; I love you too much for that, and so I love to hear from you, especially at this critical time, when all the powers of hell are against you. But let them come for you like bees, they will be extinguished like the fire among thorns. Tempted you are, and you will be; otherwise you could not know your own weakness and your Master's strength. But all temptations will work together for good; all are for your benefit, that you may be a part of His holiness. You may always have an evidence of God's love for you as of yours for Him. And sometimes the former may be clearer, at others the latter. It is enough if, in one case or another, you will simply remain your soul upon Him. Sister Harper is the common experience of those who are renewed in love. [Charles Wesley met Mrs. Harper at Mr. Sims's house on July 2, 1738; and as they sang, Who for me, for me hath died,, she burst into tears and cries, "I believe, I believe!" and stooped down. She went on, and increased the assurance of faith, full of peace, joy, and love. Wesley published an extract from his Journal in 1769. see c. Wesley's Journal, i. 115.] Sister Jackson's experience [See letter of March 26, 1770.] is quite extraordinary, and very few of them have attained it so far.

There is danger that every believer will mistake the voice of the enemy or of his own imagination for the voice of God. And you can distinguish the one from the other, not by any written rule, but only by the anointing of the Holy One. This only teaches Christian prudence, consistent with simplicity and godly sincerity.

The four volumes of Sermons, the Appeals, the Notes, and the Excerpts from the Works of Mr. Law and Dr. Young may be the best for you now: do not touch anything that does not suit your present temperament. When you feel you are being led to this, write verses; do not bury your talent in the earth. Meet with those who meet on a Friday, and speak in the name of God without fear or shame.

The general rule, not to correspond but with those who have both grace and understanding, admits of several exceptions, in favor of some who want one of them, the other, or both. [See letter of May 28.] While I am in Ireland, you may direct me to Dublin. Do not be afraid to write letters too long. The longer, the more pleasant, my dear Philadelphia,

With affection.

To Miss Phil. Briggs, at Miss March's house, Worship Street, Moorfields, London. [51]

 

Each day will bring only temptation and enough power to overcome it

 

Each day will bring only temptation and sufficient power to overcome it; and, as it is said, temptations, with deliverances distinct from them, are of much avail.' The anointing of the Holy One is given to believers for just this purpose

 

To Elizabeth Briggs

ATHLONE, April 14, 1771.

MY DEAR BETSY,-- You may be sure that I am always very glad to hear from you, and that I shall never think that your letters are too long. Always tell me all that is in your heart, and the more freely the better. Otherwise, it would hardly be possible to give you the advice you would like from time to time. As soon as you had put on your armor, it was fitting that you should be tested; so God has prepared for you the occasions of struggle, that you may conquer, and know both your own weakness and your strength. Each day will bring only temptation and power sufficient to overcome you; and, as it is said, temptations, with deliverances distinct from them, are of much profit.' The anointing of the Holy One is given to believers for just this purpose—that they may distinguish (what would otherwise be impossible) between sin and temptation. And this you will do, not as a general rule, but by listening to Him on all particular occasions, and consulting those who have experience in the ways of God. No doubt both you, Philothea, and my dear Miss Perronet. Perronet are now more called to speak for God. In doing so, you should expect to find many things that are not pleasing to flesh and blood. But that is all right. How much more will you conform to the death of Christ. Go in His name and in the power of His power. Suffer and conquer all things. --I am, my dear Betsy,

With affection. [52]

 

Surely spiritual temptations will pass through your spirit

 

Surely spiritual temptations will pass through your spirit, otherwise you would not feel them. I believe I understand your state better than you do.

 

To Miss March

LONDON, November 11, 1760.

Conviction is not condemnation. You may be convinced, but not condemned; convinced of useless thoughts or words, and yet not condemned by them. You are condemned to nothing if you love God and continue to give Him all your heart.

Surely spiritual temptations will pass through your spirit, otherwise you would not feel them. I believe I understand your state better than you do. Do not be one little perplexed as to what to call it. You are a child of God, a member of Christ, an heir of the kingdom. What you have stand firm (by whatever name you are given), and you will have all that God has prepared for those who love Him. Surely you need more faith; For you are a delicate, delicate plant. But you see,-- Faith, while you still ask, is given; God comes down, the God and Lord who made earth and heaven!

You can't live on what He did yesterday. That's why He comes today! He ends up destroying this tendency to lightness, to harsh judgment, to everything that is not of God. Peace be with your spirit! [53]

 

They gave rise to many, if not most, of those temptations

 

I believe that Mr. Walsh's nervous disorders gave rise to many, if not most, of those temptations to which many persons of equal grace, but firmer nerves, are complete strangers for life

 

For Ann Loxdale

NEAR LONDON, NOVEMBER 21, 1783.

MY DEAR MISS LOXDALE,-- It is probable that your letter arrived at Bristol during the period of my illness, and was placed with such care that it has never been found since. I have reason to think that other letters written about this time have had the same misfortune. One in particular from a lovely woman at The Hague, whom I am very sorry to miss. [The letter of Mm. M.F. Loren, dated The Hague, July 16, 1783, was apparently found afterwards, and appears in the Arminian Mag. 1792, pp. 50-1. Wesley describes the family in the Journal, vi. 421, 427: see also letter of July 20.]

I believe that Mr. Walsh's nervous disorders gave rise to many, if not most, of those temptations to which many persons of equal grace, but firmer nerves, are complete strangers for life. As you have never experienced any of this, I am convinced that you never will. Still, I am not surprised at the horrible temptations of Gregory Lopez; because he was in a wilderness—that is, (so far) out of God's way.

I see much of the goodness and wisdom of God in the particular trial you are now under. As you speak to me without reserve, I will speak to you in the same manner. But summon up all your faith and resignation, or you will not be able to bear it.

I cannot doubt that some years ago he was earnestly seeking salvation. But I have more reason to believe that he is now very, very far from it. It was with doubtful conscience that I refrained from expelling him from the Society: (1) because I heard that he was deeply, unusually covetous, and because I knew that he mortally hated Mr. Rogers and did him all the bad offices he could; (2) because he also hated that blessed creature Hetty Roe; and (3) because he is a determined enemy of perfection. [See letters of July 24, 1782, and December 9, 1783.]

Here I have given you the strongest proof of the sincerity with which I am, my dear Miss Loxdale. Loxdale,

Your affectionate friend and brother. [54]

 

But you can stomp them all under your feet

 

Temptations, indeed, you must expect. But you may trample them all under your feet: His grace is sufficient for you

 

To Mrs. Fuller

February 1783

MY DEAR SISTER, -- You have done well to give me a simple, circumstantial account of the way God has dealt with your soul. Your part now is to stand firm in the glorious liberty with which Christ has set you free. There is no need that you should become entangled again in the bondage of pride, anger, or desire. God is willing to give always what He once bestows. Temptations, indeed, you must expect. But you may trample them all under your feet: His grace is sufficient for you. And the God of all grace, after a time that you suffer, will establish it, strengthen you, and calm you.--I am, my dear sister,

With affection. [55]

 

As soon as you put on your armor, it was fitting that it should be tried on

 

As soon as you put on your armor, it was fitting that you should be tested; so God has prepared for you the occasions of struggle, that you may conquer, and know both your own weakness and your strength. Each day will bring only temptation and power sufficient to overcome you; and, as it is said, temptations, with deliverances distinct from them, are of much avail.' The anointing of the Holy One is given to believers for just this purpose

 

To Elizabeth Briggs

Athlone, April 14, 1771.

MY DEAR BETSY,-- You may be sure that I am always very glad to hear from you, and that I shall never think that your letters are too long. Always tell me all that is in your heart, and the more freely the better. Otherwise, it would hardly be possible to give you the advice you would like from time to time. As soon as you had put on your armor, it was fitting that you should be tested; so God has prepared for you the occasions of struggle, that you may conquer, and know both your own weakness and your strength. Each day will bring only temptation and power sufficient to overcome you; and, as it is said, temptations, with deliverances distinct from them, are of much profit.' The anointing of the Holy One is given to believers for just this purpose—that they may distinguish (what would otherwise be impossible) between sin and temptation. And this you will do, not as a general rule, but by listening to Him on all particular occasions, and consulting those who have experience in the ways of God. No doubt both you, Philothea, and my dear Miss Perronet. Perronet are now more called to speak for God. In doing so, you should expect to find many things that are not pleasing to flesh and blood. But that is all right. How much more will you conform to the death of Christ. Go in His name and in the power of His power. Suffer and conquer all things. --I am, my dear Betsy,

With affection.

 



[1] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[2] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1765/

[3] Diary of John Wesley. John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791. São Paulo, SP – Angular Editora, 2017.

[4] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/

[5] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[6] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1783/

[7] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/

[8] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[9] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[10] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1786/

[11] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[12] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1774/

[13] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[14] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1788/

[15] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1783/

[16] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/

[18] Diary of John Wesley. John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791. São Paulo, SP – Angular Editora, 2017.

[19] Diary of John Wesley. John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791. São Paulo, SP – Angular Editora, 2017.

[20] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1770/

[21]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1770/

[22] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/

[23] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1773/

[24] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/

[25]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1748/

[26] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1772/

[27] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1772/

[28] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1786/  

[29] Diary of John Wesley. John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791. São Paulo, SP – Angular Editora, 2017. 

[30] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1788/

[31] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1776/

[32] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/

[33] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1772/

[34] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1785/

[35] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1772/

[36] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1779/

[37] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/

[38]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1765/

[39] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1767/

[40]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/

[41] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1770/

[42] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1776/ 

[43] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1767/  

[44] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1780/

[45] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1774/

[46] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/

[47] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/  

[48] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1774/

[49]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1765/

[50] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1780/

[51] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/

[52] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/

[53] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1760/

[54] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1783/

[55] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1783/

Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas deste blog