The strength of the laity in the Methodist Movement

 

Odilon Massolar Chaves 

 


Copyright © 2026, Odilon Massolar Chaves

All rights reserved to the author. 

It is allowed to read, copy and share for free.

Article 184 of the Penal Code and Law 96710 of February 19, 1998.

Books published in the Wesleyan Digital Library: 900

Books published by the author: 940

Cover: John Nelson, Mary Bosanquet, Sarah Crosby, Captain Webb, Thomas Olivers (center).

Odilon Massolar Chaves is a retired Methodist pastor, with a doctorate in Theology and History from the Methodist University of São Paulo.

Son of Rev. Adherico Ribeiro Chaves and Roza Massolar Chaves. 

He is married to RoseMary.

He has two daughters: Liliana and Luciana.

His thesis dealt with the Methodist revival in England in the eighteenth century and its contribution as a paradigm for our days. 

 

Give me a hundred preachers who fear nothing but sin and desire nothing but God, and I don't care for a straw whether they are clergy or laity, they alone will shake the gates of hell and establish the kingdom of heaven on earth. [1]

 

(John Wesley)   

 

Table of Contents

 

·       Introduction

·       The Need of Lay Preachers

·       Wesley explained the criteria for using lay preachers

·       This I categorically deny

·       I never censured all the clergy

·       How We Were Led to Accept Lay Assistants

·       We allow preachers who have not been ordained episcopally

·       How God's Present Work Could Be Accomplished Without the Help of Lay Preachers

·       We allow lay people who we believe to have called God to preach

·       I bring them to meet the ministry

·       Whether clergy or laity, I will make them an example for the benefit of all others

·       Criteria for being a Methodist preacher

·       His position is in the absence of the Minister

·       Only they will shake the gates of hell

·       There was so much danger of our clergy dominating the laity

·  The whole work of God, called Methodism, is an extraordinary dispensation of His providence

 

Introduction 

 

"The Strength of the Laity in the Methodist Movement" is a 26-page book based especially on Wesley's letters and diary.

"Lay ministry gave voice and active responsibility to ordinary people, challenging the rigid clerical model of the time."[2] 

The laity were instrumental in the expansion of Methodism. But Methodism was much criticized for using lay people. Some clergy and newspapers claimed that Wesley criticized Anglican clergy and used unprepared lay people.

 To 'John Smith', on March 22, 1748, Wesley said: "I have never censured all the clergy; and God forbid I ever succeed. I censure none, not even the extremely immoral." [3]

To the Editor of 'Lloyd's Evening, November 22, 1760, Wesley said, "You blame me for allowing lay preachers." [4] 

In a letter to George L. Fleury, May 18, 1771, Wesley rebutted him and said: Among them, none can be an avowed preacher, but those who (1) are truly alive to God, who experience the faith that works by love, as the love of God and of all mankind; (2) those who possess competent knowledge of the Word of God and of the work of God in the souls of men; (3) those who have given proof that they are called of God by converting sinners from the error of their ways. And to show whether they have these qualifications or not, they are a year, sometimes more, in judgment." [5] 

Thomas Maxfield is considered the first layman to preach in Methodism. Sarah Mallet and Mary Bosanquet are considered the first preachers authorized to preach. 

Hannah Ball was noted for creating the first Sunday School in 1769. "Hannah Ball (1734–1792) was an English Methodist, a close disciple of John Wesley, and a pioneer of the Sunday School. Converted in 1765 by hearing Wesley preach, she became an active leader in High Wycombe, teaching the Bible to needy children and creating the first formal Sunday School in 1769. "[6]

Thomas Olivers was a preacher, editor of the "Arminian Magazine" and author of the hymn "To the God of Abraham".

The mason John Nelson was considered the "Prince of Methodist preachers".

Laymen Philip Embury and Barbara Heck were responsible for the beginnings of the Methodist Church in America.

"Thomas Thompson became a prosperous banker, a member of the British Parliament, and one of the leading laymen and financiers of Methodism in his region. He also actively worked alongside William Wilberforce in the campaign for the abolition of slavery."[7] 

Others were leaders of the Bands and Classes, among them are: Hester Ann Roe Rogers (1756–1794); Mary Bosanquet Fletcher (1739–1815); Darcy, Lady Maxwell (c. 1743–1810; Sarah Crosby (1729–1804), etc.

Methodism lived in the extraordinary of God's calling, that is, outside of what was "common" at the time. 

For Wesley, everything in Methodism was an "Extraordinary Dispensation of God's Providence." 

He said, "It is clear to me that the whole work of God called Methodism is an extraordinary dispensation of His providence. Therefore I do not wonder whether several things occur in it which do not fall within the ordinary rules of discipline." [8] 

This extraordinary includes the very existence of Methodism, the doctrine of holiness, the use of laity and women in ministry, etc. 

In the letter to Mary Bosanquet, one of the first lay preachers in Methodism, we see this: 

Londonderry, June 13, 1771.

"My dear sister,--I think the strength of the cause is there—in your extraordinary attachment. I am convinced that all our lay preachers; otherwise I could not tolerate your preaching at all. It is clear to me that the whole work of God, called Methodism, is an extraordinary dispensation of His providence. Therefore I do not wonder whether several things occur there which do not fall under the ordinary rules of discipline. St. Paul's common rule was, 'I do not permit a woman to speak in the congregation.' However, in extraordinary cases he made some exceptions; in Corinth, in particular.--I am, my dear sister,

Your affectionate brother." [9]

For this reason, Methodism is differentiated in the participation of the laity.

The laity have always been and will be important in the life and mission of the Church.

 

The Author

 

 

The Need of Lay Preachers

 

Then John appointed more lay preachers to serve the societies. No one was set aside for such service, though not until they had been examined through the "gifts, grace, and fruits.[10]

 

"(...) the task of preaching throughout the kingdom was, quite simply, too great a task for John and Charles. Necessity dictated the innovative means of "lay preaching" to the Methodist movement. This idea was not one that John readily accepted, because he was tenaciously a traditionalist. But events and needs cried out for evangelists. So John appointed more lay preachers to serve the societies. No one was set aside for such service, though not until they had been examined through the "gifts, grace, and fruits."[11]

The Layman in the Expansion of Methodism in America

Wesley appointed laymen to America to minister the Word, the Lord's Supper, and organize churches. Among them was Francis Asbury.

"Methodism spread to the 13 American Colonies through immigrants and lay preachers in the 1760s." [12] 

In the American colonies in Philadelphia in 1773, there were 1,160 members led by 10 lay preachers. [13] 

The laity were preachers, cell leaders, teachers, butlers, etc. Some women stood out in the area of education.

Some excelled in secular life. "Thomas Thompson became a prosperous banker, a member of the British Parliament, and one of the leading laymen and financiers of Methodism in his region. He also actively worked alongside William Wilberforce in the campaign for the abolition of slavery."[14] 

 

Wesley explained the criteria for using lay preachers

 

And to show whether they have these qualifications or not, they are a year, sometimes longer, on trial. Now, I ask that it be the common examination for orders of deacons or priests for this

 

Letter to George L. Fleury

Limerick, 18 May 1771.

After answering George L. Fleury to some accusations against Methodism, Wesley quotes and combats what is on "page" and what is with quotation marks (').

 He said:

The charge: "... The first part of this objection we have had before. The last is a total error. They do not allow the 'most ignorant men to preach any inward calling' they pretend to make.

Wesley answers:

"Among them, none can be avowed preachers, but those who (1) are truly alive to God, who experience the faith which works by love, as love to God and to all mankind; (2) those who possess competent knowledge of the Word of God and of the work of God in the souls of men; (3) those who have given proof that they are called of God by converting sinners from the error of their ways. And to show whether they have these qualifications or not, they are a year, sometimes more, on trial. Now, I request that it be the common examination for orders of deacons or priests for this."

Another charge: "But no ambassador can act without a commission from his king; consequently, no preacher with wittiness, has no commission from God' (page 11)."

Wesley answers, "This is a delicate point; But you compel me to speak." I ask, then, He was commissioned by God to preach the gospel, he who does not know the gospel, knows little more of the Bible than the Qur'an, I am afraid? But if so, how many of our brethren have sent from man, but not from God!

Accusation: "However, these laymen were not sent by God to preach; for St. Paul does not say, 'No one takes this honor for himself but he called of God, as was Aaron' (Page 13.)

Wesley answers: "   Another text very badly applied; for Aaron preached nothing. But if these men are not sent by God, how is it that God confirms his word by convincing and converting sinners? He confirms the word of His messenger, but of no one? Therefore, if God has his word, it is clear that God sent them." [15]

Some of the letters that Wesley refers to the laity are:

 

This I categorically deny

 

'For we despise the ministers of the Church of England.' This I flatly deny

 

To Mr. ----

[September 3, 1756.]

You give five reasons why the Rev. Mr. P.---- will not return among us: (1) 'Because we despise the ministers of the Church of England.' This I flatly deny. I am answering letters in this same post which bitterly blame me for the contrary. (2) 'Because so much wrong comment and speech suffers among our people.' It is not suffered: every possible means is used both to prevent it and to remove it.

(3) 'Because I, who have written so much against hoarding money, have deposited seven hundred pounds as interest.' I have never put sixpence in interest since I was born; nor had I ever made a hundred pounds together since I came into the world. (4) 'Because our lay preachers have told many stories about my brother and myself.' If they did, I am sorry for them; when I hear the details, I can answer, and perhaps shame those who believed them. (5) 'Because we did not help a friend to ramble on.' We helped him as much as we could. 'But we could have put his case to Mr. G----, Lady Huntingdon, etc.' So we did more than once; But we could not take money from them, whether they wanted to or not. Therefore these motives have no weight. You conclude by praying that God will remove pride and wickedness among us. I am too proud; of wickedness I have none: but prayer is good, and I thank you for it. [16]

 

I never censured all the clergy

 

I have never censured all the clergy; and God forbid that I ever succeed. I do not censure any, not even the extremely immoral ones

 

For 'John Smith'

DUBLIN, March 22, 1748.

“(...) 4. I have never censured all the clergy; and God forbid that I should ever succeed. I censure none, not even the extremely immoral. But you advise to 'complain of it to the Bishop of the diocese.' In that way, 'Be so witty to present them.' Much may be said on this question. I must ask, (1) I have a right to present them which I do not understand. The stewards of every parish must do this; which they will hardly do when I have done so. (2) If I could do this personally, to present them to the Court is not to present them to the Bishop: the Bishop, it cannot be but known, has no more authority in what is called the Bishop's Court than the Pope of Rome. (3) I cannot present, let us suppose, thirty persons in so many counties as electors or lay officers (men whom I consider to have as much authority from the Scriptures to administer the sacraments as to judge ecclesiastical causes), without such an expenditure of labour, money, and time as I can in no way sustain. And what would be the fruit, if I could sustain it, if I were the general informant against the immoral clergy of England? O sir, can you imagine, or dare you say, that I would 'have the thanks of the bishops and all good men, clergy and laity.' If you would only allow them to be good men who would thank me for it, I fear you would not find seven thousand good men in all our Israel (...)."[17]

 

How We Were Led to Accept Lay Assistants

 

I mentioned how we were led to accept lay assistants. His office is in the absence of the Minister

 

FOR VINCENT PERRONET

{December}, 1748.

“(...) 2. In the third part of the appeal [see Works, viii. 218-24.] I have mentioned how we have been led to accept lay assistants. Their office is, in the absence of the Minister,--(1) To explain every morning and evening. (2) To meet with the United Society, the bands, the selected society, and the penitents once a week. (3) To visit the classes once a quarter. (4) To listen to and decide all differences. (5) To put the rioters back on trial and receive judgment for the bands or Society. (6) To ensure that the Stewards, the Leaders, and the Masters faithfully discharge their various offices. (7) To meet weekly with the leaders of the bands and classes, and the Stewards, and to supervise their accounts (...)".[18]

 

We allow preachers who have not been ordained episcopally

 

It is of a full conviction that (1) we preach abroad, (2) we pray extemporaneously, (3) we form Societies, and (4) we permit preachers who have not been ordained episcopally

 

For Samuel Walker

BRISTOL September 24, 1755

“(...) 4. At present I consider those, and only those, who separate from the Church who renounce it or refuse to participate in its public worship. So far we have done neither; nor have we taken a step beyond what we were convinced was our obligatory duty. It is from a full conviction of this that (1) we preach abroad, (2) we pray extemporaneously, (3) we form Societies, and (4) we permit preachers who have not been episcopally ordained. And if we were punished on this side, if there were no alternative, we should judge it our legitimate duty to separate ourselves entirely from the Church than to abdicate any of these points. Therefore, if we cannot prevent a separation without stopping lay preachers, the case is clear—we cannot prevent it at all. [19]

 

How God's Present Work Could Be Accomplished Without the Help of Lay Preachers

 

I still want to know in what particular way you think the present work of God could be accomplished without the help of lay preachers

 

For Samuel Walker

LONDON, November 20, 1755.

REVEREND AND DEAR SIR,--I thank you very much for Mr. Adam's letter of welcome [The reply to the Rev. Thomas Adam (p. 149) is dated October 31st. The interval was spent in London, where he remained until January 26th.] As well as to yours. I have answered yours (which is written in a truly Christian spirit), and now proceed to consider yours, after having observed that two of our preachers [Samuel Larwood, John Edwards, Charles Skelton, and John Witford have left Wesley. See Journal, iv. 95N; and letters of July 17, 1751, and August 4, 1769.] have gone from us; and none of the rest (so far as I know) have, at present, any desire or intention to separate themselves from the Church. Still, I observe,—

1. Those ministers who really feared God nearly a hundred years ago had, no doubt, the same objections to the Liturgy that some (who have never read their Works) have now. [Both his grandfathers were among those suffering from 1662.] And I myself even now admit the force of several of these objections that I would not dare to declare my assent and assent to that book in the prescribed terms. In fact, they are so strong that I think they cannot be safely used in relation to any book other than the Bible. Neither dares to confine myself entirely to the forms of prayer, not even in church. I use, indeed, all the forms; but I frequently add extemporaneous prayers before or after the sermon.

2. In the name of many of the Canons, I can say little; of the Spiritual Courts, nothing at all. Therefore, I dare not allow the authority of the former nor the jurisdiction of the latter. But I am not obliged to do so. So the difficulty is not yet.

3. 'Whether it is lawful to attend to the ministers of one whom God has not sent me to minister to, since he expressly denies the call of God, which is at least as necessary as the call of man,' is really a question which (as I said before) I cannot satisfactorily answer. Nor can I say—

4. How far that commandment of our Lord, 'Beware of the false prophet,' obliges me to abstain from listening to those who put darkness as light, and light for darkness. I still doubt whether to attend to them silently while they do this is not, in practice, to wish them good luck, to strengthen their hands in evil, and to encourage others to listen to them until they fall together into hell.

I still want to know in what particular way you think God's present work could be accomplished without the help of lay preachers. [See letter of September 24.] I will weigh this fairly and share my views on it.

A few little things occurred to me as I read your Sermons [The volume of sermons published two years before, entitled The Christian] which I wanted to communicate to you. On the important points I cannot observe any difference between us. We both strive for the inner kingdom, for the mind that was in Christ Jesus, the image of God to be new and engraven on the heart. I am sometimes very discouraged to find so little of it in myself. Help, both with your advice and with prayers, dear sir,

Your brother and very affectionate servant.

All but the last bit of it I had written three weeks ago. But my wife's dangerous illness prevented me from finishing it sooner.

It is with full conviction of this that we preach abroad, use extemporaneous prayer, form those who seem to be awake in the Societies, and allow lay people who we believe we have called God to preach. [20]

 

We allow lay people who we believe to have called God to preach

 

It is with full conviction of this that we preach abroad, use extemporaneous prayer, form those who seem to be awake in the Societies, and allow lay people who we believe we have called God to preach

 

For Thomas Adam

LONDON October 31, 1755,

REVEREND LORD, -- At least a good effect has already come out of the change of the present question. It was the occasion on which I had some contact with Mr. Walker and with you; which I doubt would not be enlarged, were it not for what you probably think to be a Christian prudence, I consider it to be a worldly prudence.

You have thanked me very much with your clear and friendly answer, with the chief one with which I fully agree. For I still retain my old feeling, -- 'We will not go out: if we are expelled, well.' And of the same judgment are, I believe, at least nineteen out of twenty of our preachers, and an equal majority of the people. We are fully convinced that to separate from an Established Church is never lawful, but when it is absolutely necessary; and yet we see no such necessity. Therefore at present we have no thoughts of separation.

As to the measures we have taken so far, we have used all possible caution. We have done nothing rash, nothing without deep and long consideration, listening to and weighing all objections, and many prayers. Nor have we taken a deliberate step of which we still see reason to repent. It is true that in some things we differ from the rules of our Church; but no parent that we apprehend is our obligatory duty. It is with full conviction of this that we preach abroad, use extemporaneous prayer, form those who seem to be awake in the Societies, and allow laymen whom we believe to have called God to preach.

I say permit because we have not hitherto seen it otherwise. We are clearly convinced that we can do: that we can do more that we are not satisfied with. It is not clear to us that elders as circumstantial as we can appoint or ordain others, but it is that we can guide them and enable them to do that which we understand they are moved by the Holy Spirit. It is true that, in ordinary cases, both an inward and an outward call are necessary. But we understand that there is something far from the ordinary in this case. And, with a calmer view of things, we think that those who are called by God alone and not by man have more right to preach than those who are called by man alone and not by God. Now, that many of the clergy, though called by man, are not called by God to preach His gospel is undeniable, (1) because they themselves utterly deny, no, and ridicule the inward call; (2) because they do not know what the gospel is, of importance they do not preach it, and cannot preach it.

Dear Sir, consider this calmly and impartially, and you will see on which side the difficulty lies. I assure you that this is my greatest embarrassment. I know that I have not yet gone too far; but whether I have gone far enough, I have much doubt. I see those fleeing whom God has not sent, destroying their own souls, and those who hear them, perverting the right ways of the Lord, blaspheming the truth as it is in Jesus. I see the shutter guiding the blind one, and the two falling into the ditch. Unless I warn in every way I can of these perishing souls from their danger, am I free from the blood of these men? Soul-condemning clergymen put me under more trouble than laymen who say soul.

Those of us who are in doubt whether we ought so much to distrust these false prophets as not to listen to them at all, are not men of 'advanced zeal and uncharitable,' but of a calm, loving, and moderate spirit. They are perfectly easy as to their own calling to preach; but they are concerned about those poor blind and cageless guides. And they sometimes fear that their behaviour will be dead weight even to clergymen who are ready to be called of God. 'What else,' say they, 'does not God bless their labors? Why do they still stretch out their hands in vain?' 'We know Mr. Piers, Perone, Manning, and several regular clergymen who preach the genuine gospel, but to no effect. There is one exception in England—Mr. Walker at Truro. We know of no one else who has converted a soul in his own parish. If it be said, 'Mr. Grimshaw and Mr. Baddeley [John Baddeley, Dean of Hayfield in Derbyshire, were not converted in 1748 and 'preach the pure gospel of Jesus Christ.' He was 'a sort of second Grimshaw.' He graduated. Societies and appointed laymen to assist him." Wesley visited him in April, 1755; and after the Leeds Conference, Baddeley wrote him an affectionate letter about the separation from the Church of England. See Journal, iv. 110-11, v. 109; Arminian Mag. 1779 p. 319; Wesley of Tyerman, ii. 195. For William Grimshaw, see letter of 2 November, 1748.] No, not one, until they became irregular—until both formed irregular Societies and accepted laymen to help them. There may be a stronger proof that God is even more pleased with irregularities than with ordinary preaching

'But could not the Methodists, in general, better serve the interests of Christ as witnesses and examples of a living faith by returning to a closer union with the Church than by separating themselves further.' We have no intention of separating the father (if we have ever separated). Neither dares to return to a closer union, whether it means forbidding lay preachers or ceasing to care for each other in love, and meeting regularly for that purpose.

If there be any father's advice, whether on doctrine or practice, which he deems to be of use to us, it will be gratefully received and regarded by the dear reverend sir,

His brother and affectionate and obligatory servant. [21]

 

I bring them to meet the ministry

 

Yes; those who were not before accustomed to preach at all, or those whom you would call lay brethren, I bring them to attend to the ministry of those regular preachers who have the responsibility of their various parishes.

 

For 'John Smith'

NEWCASTLE-UPON-TYNE, 25 March 1747.

You begin, 'Are you going to ask what I mean by "order"? Was it not evident that I meant to speak against lay preaching?' It was; but not only against that. Therefore, before addressing the question, I have defined the term in a wider sense, to include both this and every irregularity which you have disputed. You continue: 'How could you give such a strange answer, "I carry this order for which you fight to places where it has never existed before"' I reply: This is not my whole answer; it is only one, and that the most insignificant, part of it: but it is strictly true. 'So, you bring in the ministry of regularly ordained ministers, where, before, the people were accustomed to the preaching of lay brethren? Yes; those who were not before accustomed to preaching at all, or those whom you would call lay brethren, I bring them to attend to the ministry of those regular preachers who have the responsibility of their various parishes. [22]

 

Whether clergy or laity, I will make them an example for the benefit of all others

 

And if it seems that any of those under my care habitually 'rebuke' or 'rebuke' others, whether clergy or laity, I will make them an example for the benefit of all others

 

To Thomas Church

June 17, 1746.

As to those so-called Methodists, whom you suppose to 'criticize and insult the clergy,' and 'despise and reproach their neighbors,' I can only say, What are they. Show me the men. And if it appears that any of those under my care habitually 'rebuke' or 'rebuke' others, whether clergy or laity, I will make them an example for the benefit of all the rest. [23]

 

Criteria for being a Methodist preacher

 

Among them, none can be avowed preachers, but those who (1) are truly alive to God, who experience the faith that works by love, as the love of God and of all mankind; (2) those who possess competent knowledge of the Word of God and of the work of God in the souls of men; (3) those who have given proof that they are called of God by converting sinners from the error of their ways.

 

To George L. Fleury [18]

LIMERICK, May 18, 1771.

“(...) The first part of this objection we have had before. The last is an utter error. They do not allow the 'most ignorant men to preach any inward calling' which they pretend to make. Among them none can be avowed preacher, but those who (1) are truly alive to God, who experience the faith which works by love, as the love of God and of all mankind; (2) those who possess competent knowledge of the Word of God and of the work of God in the souls of men; (3) those who have given proof that they are called of God by converting sinners from the error of their ways. And to show whether they have these qualifications or not, they are a year, sometimes more, on trial. Now, I ask that it be the common examination for orders of deacons or priests for this

17. But no ambassador can act without a commission from his king; consequently, no preacher with wittiness, has no commission from God' (page 11). This is a delicate point; But you compel me to speak. I ask, then: Has he been commissioned by God to preach the gospel, who does not know the gospel, knows little more of the Bible than the Qur'an, am I afraid? But if so, how many of our brethren have sent from man, but not from God!

Yet these laymen were not sent by God to preach; for St. Paul does not say, "No man taketh this honor for himself but that called of God, as was Aaron" (Page 13.) Another very misapplied text; for Aaron preached nothing. But if these men are not sent of God, how is it that God confirms his word by convincing and converting sinners? Does He confirm the word of His messenger, but of no one? Therefore, if God possesses his word, it is clear that God has sent them. [24]

 

His position is in the absence of the Minister

 

In the third part of the appeal. I mentioned how we were led to accept lay assistants. His office is in the absence of the Minister

 

To Vincent Perronet (1693-1785)

Vicar of the Anglican Church

 

"REVEREND AND DEAR LORD ,--1. Some time ago you desired an account of the whole economy of the people commonly called the Methodists. And you have received a true account (as far as it goes), but not complete. To supply what I think was lacking in sending this account, that you may know not only of their practice in every respect, but also of the reasons whereupon it is based, the occasion of every step they have taken, and the benefits that have been reaped therefrom."[25]

Wesley speaks of the function of the lay assistants: "2. In the third part of the appeal [see Works, viii. 218-24.] I have mentioned how we were led to accept lay assistants. Their office is, in the absence of the Minister:

(1) Explain every morning and evening.

(2) Meet with the United Society, the bands, the selected society, and the penitents once a week.

(3) Visit the classes once a quarter.

(4) Listen and decide all differences.

(5) Put the rioters back on trial and receive judgment for the bands or Society.

(6) To ensure that the Stewards, the Leaders, and the Masters faithfully discharge their various offices.

(7) Meet weekly with the leaders of the bands and classes, and the Butlers, and supervise their accounts," explained Wesley (...)".[26]

 

Only they will shake the gates of hell

 

 Give me a hundred preachers who fear nothing but sin and desire nothing but God, and I don't care for a straw whether they are clergy or laity, they alone will shake the gates of hell and establish the kingdom of heaven on earth.

 

For Alexander Mather

[BRISTOL, August 6], 1777.

No, Aleck, no! The danger of ruin to Methodism is not here. It comes from a very different side. Our preachers, many of them, have fallen. They are not spiritual. They are not alive to God. They are soft, exhausted, fearing shame, effort, difficulty. They have not the spirit which God gave to Thomas Lee at Pateley Bridge or to you at Boston. [In the fall of 1757, when he suffered much with the crowd (Wesley's Veterans, ii 93-7). Lee was rolled in the common sewer, and nearly had his back broken; for his sufferings at Pateley, see ibid iii, 204-6.] Give me a hundred preachers who fear nothing but sin and desire nothing but God, and I don't care for a straw whether they are clergy or laity, they alone will shake the gates of hell and establish the kingdom of heaven on earth. [27]

 

There was so much danger of our clergy dominating the laity

 

The honest Richard Condy was terrified; and it is no wonder that he frightened others. There was as much danger of our clergymen dominating the laity as of them devouring them altogether.

 

To Penelope Newman

LONDON, February 2, 1780.

MY DEAR SISTER, - Honest Richard Condy was terrified; and no wonder he frightened others. There was as much danger of our clergymen dominating the laity as of them devouring them altogether. But all this haste came from Alexander M'Nab. He let go of the water; and who will gather

Beware of killing John Valton [Valton was at Bristol. See Wesley's Veterans, vi. 78; and to M'Nab, letter of January 18.] I know: You know that he is continually striving to do more than he can do. I suppose he is somewhere in his circuit; but he did not tell me where: that I should not know how to direct him. I am a letter indebted to him.

You have forgotten that I do not visit our Societies this year. I only play here and there on the way to Ireland. On Monday, March 13, I hope to be in Stroud and then visit Tewkesbury, Worcester, Evesham and Broadmarston. That is all I can do at present. - Yes, I am, my dear sister,

Your affectionate brother. [28]

 

The whole work of God, called Methodism, is an extraordinary dispensation of His providence

 

I am convinced that all our lay preachers; otherwise I could not tolerate their preaching at all. It is clear to me that the whole work of God, called Methodism, is an extraordinary dispensation from His providence

 

To Mary Bosanquet

LONDONDERRY, June 13, 1771.

MY DEAR SISTER,--I think the strength of the cause is there—in its extraordinary connection. I am convinced that all our lay preachers; otherwise I could not tolerate their preaching at all. It is clear to me that the whole work of God, called Methodism, is an extraordinary dispensation from His providence. Therefore I do not wonder whether several things occur there which do not fall under the ordinary rules of discipline. St. Paul's common rule was, 'I do not permit a woman to speak in the congregation.' However, in extraordinary cases he made some exceptions; in Corinth, in particular.--I am, my dear sister,

Your affectionate brother. [29]

 



[1]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1777/

[2] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[3] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1748/

[4] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1760/

[5] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/

[6] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[7] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[8] https://hannahadairbonner.com/tag/john-wesley/

[9] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/

[10] Diary of John Wesley. John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791. São Paulo, SP – Angular Editora, 2017.

[12] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[13] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[14] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[15] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/

[16] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1756/

[17] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1749/

[18] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1749/

[19] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1755/

[20] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1755/

[21] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1755/

[22] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1747/

[23] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1746/

[24] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1755/

[25]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/

[26]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1748/

[27]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1777/

[28] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1780/

[29] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/

Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas deste blog