The controversy between Wesley and the Countess Lady Huntingdon

 

Odilon Massolar Chaves

 

 


Copyright © 2026, Odilon Massolar Chaves

All rights reserved to the author.

It is allowed to read, copy and share for free.

Article 184 of the Penal Code and Law 96710 of February 19, 1998.

Books published in the Wesleyan Digital Library: 896

Books published by the author: 936

Cover: https://en.wikipedia.org//wiki/Selina_Hastings,_Countess_of_Huntingdon

Odilon Massolar Chaves is a retired Methodist pastor, with a doctorate in Theology and History from the Methodist University of São Paulo.

Son of Rev. Adherico Ribeiro Chaves and Roza Massolar Chaves.

He is married to RoseMary.

He has two daughters: Liliana and Luciana.

His thesis dealt with the Methodist revival in England in the eighteenth century and its contribution as a paradigm for our days.

 

 

Table of Contents

 

·       Introduction

·       Who was Lady Huntingdon

·       Pressured by the Countess of Huntingdon to preach to the charcoal burners

·       My heart's desire and prayer to God for you

·       The pleasant hour I spent with your Lordship

·       A controversy raised by the countess

·       However, if I am grieving for my children, I am grieving!

·       To make Your Lordship an instrument

·       I am very grateful to you for your encouraging response

·       I am grateful to you and to Lady Buchan

·       You have one of the first places in my esteem and affection

·       This is really an accusation

·       Stand firm as a pillar of iron

·       Celebrating the Countess of Huntingdon's birthday and her school's birthday

·       Conflict with Calvinism

·       Repay you, the Countess, and all the brothers seven times for the kindnesses you have given us!

·       I hate Mr. Wesley above all creatures on earth

 

Introduction

 

"The Controversy Between Wesley and the Countess Lady Huntingdon" is a 30-page book based on Wesley's letters and diary.

Lady Huntingdon, Selina Hastings, Countess of Huntingdon (1707–1791) was "a wealthy and influential English religious leader who played a prominent part in the evangelical revival and the Methodist movement of the eighteenth century".[1]

He built 64 meetinghouses in England and Wales.

The countess became a Calvinist, and a controversy ensued. In 1770, at the Annual Conference, there was a conflict between Calvinistic Methodists and Arminian Methodists. There was an accusation that Calvinistic Methodists had led to 'spiritual mediocrity and antinomianism.'"[2]

The Countess was the one who raised questions.

Methodist and parish priest John Fletcher then stood up at the meeting to defend Wesley. The Countess demanded that her Trevecca College professors sign a disapproval, which in the end Fletcher refused to do. Resigning from the faculty, he put his pen in the service of Wesley and his Arminian theology.[3]

The Methodist Joseph Benson was principal of the Trevecca college that the Countess had created. As he did not embrace predestination, he was dismissed.[4]

But Wesley regarded her. To Joseph Benson, on October 5, 1770, Wesley praised her firm stance and said of the countess, "She is very devoted to God, and possesses a thousand valuable and amiable qualities." [5]

The Countess's Calvinist position alienated some Arminian people. Mary Bishop (1741–1819), an important educator, leader, and Methodist, and considered by Wesley to be a true reference in education, was initially associated with the Calvinist Countess Lady Huntingdon, but Mary joined the Methodist movement after disagreements with the Countess.

The countess employed her fortune and created dozens of chapels and Trevecca College, a theological school.

Whitefield created an orphanage in America, which the Countess inherited upon her death. "On Whitefield's advice, she purchased additional slaves for the benefit of the orphanage." [6]

Although she promoted the writings of former slaves, in England she kept about 100 slaves until she lost everything with the American Revolution.

Because of Wesley's Arminian position, the Countess came to hate him. To Lady Maxwell, on September 30, 1788, Wesley said: "For many years a great person has professed, and I believe, had great regard for me. [The Countess of Huntingdon.] I therefore believed it my duty to speak with all freedom, which I did in a long letter. But she was so displeased that she said to a friend, 'I hate Mr. Wesley above all the creatures of the earth.'" [7] 

A rupture because of theological differences. But his prominent role in the evangelical revival and the Methodist movement of the eighteenth century is recognized.

To the Countess of Huntingdon, on June 19, 1771, Wesley said, "In short, as I am, I love you very much. You have one of the first places in my esteem and affection." [8]

He died in the same year as Wesley, four months after his death. His last words were, "I shall soon be home. I must go to my Father; can he forget to be gracious? Is there any end to his tender love? My work is done. I have nothing more to do than go to my Father." [9] 

Several tributes were made to Countess Lady Huntingdon in the USA by giving her name to some Methodist institutions, as recorded in this book.

 

The Author 

 

Who was Lady Huntingdon

 

Lady Huntingdon was Selina Hastings, Countess of Huntingdon (1707–1791) born at Astwell Castle, Northamptonshire.

She was "a wealthy and influential English religious leader who played a prominent role in the evangelical revival and the Methodist movement of the eighteenth century."[10]

She was the daughter of the "Earl of Ferrars and four years younger than John Wesley. Naturally being of a serious mind, her impressions were deepened by the experience of her sister, Lady Margaret Hastings, who had been converted, through Ingham, the Oxford Methodist. She also experienced joy and complete acceptance in Christ, became a Whitefield listener and attendant at the Foundry. Although she sided with Whitefield in the Calvinist controversy, she was largely instrumental, leading the two leaders to reconciliation and becoming a devoted friend of Mrs. Charles Wesley." [11]

She married in 1728 Theophilus Hastings, 9th Earl of Huntingdon. She had seven children in the first ten years of their marriage. 

After becoming a widow, she devoted her fortune to supporting and promoting Calvinistic Methodism in England, Wales, and Sierra Leone. 

"He built dozens of chapels (such as Westminster Abbey and in aristocratic centers) and founded in 1768 Trevecca House in Wales to train evangelical preachers. 

He created his own confessional offshoot known as the Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion. [12] 

Lady Huntingdon died four months after Wesley's death, at the age of 84. Her funeral service was at Chapel House, Spa Fields, on 17 June 1791, and was buried at Ashby-de-la-Zouch, and covered with the white silk gown in which she inaugurated the chapel at Goodinan's Fields. [13]

His last words were, "I shall soon be home. I must go to my Father; can he forget to be gracious? Is there any end to his tender love? My work is done. I have nothing more to do than go to my Father." [14]

Tributes

“Huntingdon College, in Montgomery, Alabama, is a coeducational liberal arts college named for the Countess of Huntingdon to honor her contributions to Methodism.

Huntingdon Street in Savannah, Georgia, also takes its name in recognition of its association with Whitefield and John and Charles Wesley in their apostolic works in the Georgia Colony.

Lady Huntingdon Lane is in the Givens Estates in Asheville, North Carolina, a retirement community affiliated with The United Methodist Church.

Lady Huntingdon Road is on the grounds of the United Methodist Assembly in Lake Junaluska, N.C., located near the World Methodist Center." [15]

Among Wesley's letters to the Countess or in reference to her, we highlight:

 

Pressured by the Countess of Huntingdon to preach to the charcoal burners

 

When I was first pressed by the Countess of Huntingdon to go and preach to the coal-burners in or near Newcastle, this objection arose at once: 'Have they no longer churches and ministers?' It was answered, 'They have churches, but they never go to them! and ministers, but they seldom or never listen to them! Perhaps they can hear you. What if you save (under God) only one soul? I yielded.

 

To the Mayor of Newcastle-upon-Tyne

NEWCASTLE, July 12, 1743.

 

Being informed of the uproar he caused on Sunday, he excuses him from preaching any more at Sand Hill

 

MR. MAYOR, -- A message was delivered to me yesterday in the street by one at the head of a crowd, on this subject: 'Mr. Mayor, being informed of the tumult you caused on Sunday, excuse you from preaching any more on Sand Hill.'

I venerate all magistrates as ministers of God. Therefore at Sand Hill I will preach no more. This is my answer to you as a magistrate. But forgive me not, sir, if I add a few words, not as accused to one judge, but as a reasonable man speaking to another. When I was first pressed by the Countess of Huntingdon to go and preach to the charcoal-burners in or near Newcastle, this objection arose immediately, 'Have they no longer churches and ministers?' It was answered, 'They have churches, but they never go to them! and ministers, but they seldom or never hear them! Perhaps they can hear you.' What if you save (under God) only one soul? I yielded. I took up my cross and enjoyed. I preached Jesus, the Saviour of sinners. Many sinners of all kinds came and listened. Many were (and are) saved from their sins. The drunkards are sober, the common swear words fear God, those who break the Sabbath now keep this holy day. These facts are undeniable, the people well known and ready at any moment to attest to them. [16]

 

My heart's desire and prayer to God for you

 

My desire and prayer of my heart to God for you is that you will never be far from this: that 'whatever is true, whatever is venerable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is beautiful, whatever is honored; if there be any virtue, if there be any praise, you may think of these things: and my God will supply all your wants, according to His riches in glory through Christ Jesus

 

To the Countess of Huntingdon

OXFORD, August 1744.

MADAM, -- For many years it has been common that poetry, which can answer the noblest purposes, has been prostituted to the vilest, even to confuse the distinctions between virtue and vice, good and evil; and that to such an extent that, among the innumerable poems currently existing in our language, there is an extremely small proportion which does not fit more or less under this heavy censorship. So that a great difficulty falls on those who are not disposed, on the one hand, to be deprived of elegant entertainment; nor, on the other hand, to buy it at the risk of innocence or virtue.

Hence many have placed a chaste collection of poems in English among the chief desires of this age. You mentioned this a year or two ago, and expressed a desire to see such a collection, determined me not to postpone the design I already had of trying something of this kind. So I reviewed all the poems in English that I knew and selected what seemed most valuable in them. Only the Works of Spenser I was obliged to omit, because they were hardly intelligible to most modern readers.

I shall rejoice if the fault of which you have complained is in some measure supplied by the following collection; of which this may at least be asserted,—there is nothing in it contrary to virtue, nothing that can offend the most chaste ear, or cause pain to the most tender heart. And perhaps all that is really essential to the most sublime divinity, as well as to the purest and most refined morality, is found in it. Nor is it a small circumstance that the fairest and most important sentiments are here represented with the greatest advantage, with all the ornaments both of wit and of language, and in the clearest, fullest, and strongest light.

I inscribe these poems for you, not only because you have been the occasion of their appearance in the world, but also because they may be an encouragement to many to read them. Your name, indeed, cannot excuse a bad poem; but it can recommend good poems to those who would not otherwise consider whether they are good or bad. And I am convinced that they will not be unacceptable to you, if it were only for this—that many of them describe what a person of quality should, and what I trust you wish to be.

My desire and prayer of my heart to God for you is that you will never be far from this: that 'whatever is true, whatever is venerable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is beautiful, whatever is honored; if there be any virtue, if there be any praise, you may think of these things: and my God will supply all your wants, according to His riches in glory through Christ Jesus.' -- I am

Obedient servant and thank you of Your Lordship, for God's sake. [17]

 

The pleasant hour I spent with your Lordship

 

The pleasant hour I spent with your Lordship last week reminded me of times gone by, and gave me much reason to thank the Giver of every good gift. I found great satisfaction in conversing with those instruments which God has recently raised up

 

NORWICH, March 10, 1759.

TO THE ILLUSTRIOUS COUNTESS OF HUNTINGDON. The pleasant hour I spent with your Lordship last week reminded me of times past, and gave me much cause for thanks to the Giver of every good present. I have found great satisfaction in conversing with those instruments which God has lately raised. But still, I know not what it is in them which we have known from the beginning, and which have borne the burden and heat of the day, which we have not found in those who have risen since, though they are upright in heart. Perhaps, too, those who have lately come to the harvest will be led to think and speak more fully of justification and other fundamental principles of the doctrine of Christ; and it may be proper for them to do so. Still, we find a thirst for something farther away. We want to sink deeper, and rise still higher in the knowledge of God our Saviour. We want every help to walk closely with Him whom we have received, that we may more speedily measure the importance of the fullness of Christ.

Mr. Berridge [Wesley stayed at Everton with John Berridge on the 1st and 2nd of March.] seems to be one of the simplest and most sensible men of all that God has chosen to employ to revive primitive Christianity. I had planned to spend only one night with him; but Mr. Gilbert's mistake [See letter of February 17.] (who sent him the message that I would be at Everton on Friday) compelled me to stay there another day, or multitudes of people would have been disappointed. Now they come twelve or fourteen miles to hear him; and very few are in vain. His word is with power; he speaks as direct and homely as John Nelson, but with all the propriety and tenderness of Mr. Romaine and tenderness of Mr. Hervey.

In Colchester, likewise, the word of God is free to speak; Only no house houses the congregation. On Sunday I was obliged to preach at St. John's Green. The people were on smooth, sloping ground, protected by the walls of an old castle, and behaved like men who felt that God was there.

I am convinced that Your Lordship still remembers in your prayers Your willing servant, for God's sake. To the Right Honourable Countess of Huntingdon, London. [18]

 

A controversy raised by the countess

 

In 1770, at the Annual Conference, there was a conflict between Calvinistic Methodists and Arminian Methodists. There was an accusation that Calvinistic Methodists had led to "spiritual mediocrity and antinomianism."[19] Countess Selina was the one who raised questions.

Defending Wesley

Methodist and parish priest John Fletcher then stood up at the meeting to defend Wesley.

To Calvinist ears, the minutes of the 1770 Annual Conference seemed to "endorse works necessary for salvation. The Countess demanded that her professors sign a disapproval, which in the end Fletcher refused to do. Resigning from the faculty, he put his pen at the service of Wesley and his Arminian theology."[20]

The Methodist Joseph Benson was principal of the Trevecca college that Countess Selina had created. As he did not embrace predestination, he was fired. Fletcher, who was president of the Countess's Institution, then took a stand.[21]

Fletcher wrote to the Countess resigning the presidency of the Institution: "Mr. Benson made a very fair defense when he said that with me he held the possibility of salvation for all men, and that mercy is either offered to all, though it may be received or rejected. If this is what your lordship identifies as Mr. Wesley's opinion, free will or Arminianism, and if any Arminian has to leave the college, I am indeed equally dismissed. In view of my present view on this question, I am obliged to maintain this sentiment ... the Bible is true and God is Love."[22]

He was a person of principle and character. He resigned, preferring to leave the presidency of the University of South Wales founded by Selina, Countess of Huntingdon.

 

However, if I am grieving for my children, I am grieving!

 

The loving God with all our heart, soul, and strength, and the love of all men as Christ has loved us, is and always has been, in these thirty years, the sum of what I deliver, as pure and undefiled religion.

However, if I am grieving for my children, I am grieving! May the Lord's will be done!

 

To the Countess of Huntingdon

[LONDON, March 20, 1763.]

MY MALADY, — I have long thought of writing some verses to Your Lady; though I cannot know that Your Lordship ever asked whether I was alive or dead. By the mercy of God I am still alive, and following the work to which He has called me; though without any help, even in the most difficult moments, from those from whom I could expect it. Their voice seemed to be quite: 'Down with him, down with him, to the ground.' I mean (for I use neither ceremony nor circumlocution) Mr. Madan, Mr. Haweis, [Dr. Thomas Haweis (1734-1820) was Madan's chaplain at Lock Hospital. He became Rector of All Saints', Northampton; and became responsible for Lady Huntingdon's College, and administered several of its chapels. He was director of the London Missionary Society.] Mr. Berridge, and (I am sorry to say) Mr. Whitefield. Only Mr. Romaine showed a truly sympathetic spirit and acted like a brother. I am even more surprised by this, because he owed me nothing (only the love we all owe each other); he was not my son in the gospel, nor do I know that he ever received any help for my sake. How much more welcome was his kindness now. May the Lord repay seven times in her bosom!

As to the prophecies of those poor and savages, George Bell and half a dozen others, I am no more responsible for them than Mr. Whitefield; I have never tolerated them in any degree, but have opposed them from the time I heard them. Nor have these extravagances any foundation in any doctrine which I teach. The loving God with all our heart, soul, and strength, and love to all men as Christ has loved us, is and always has been, in these thirty years, the sum of what I deliver, as pure and undefiled religion.

However, if I am grieving for my children, I am grieving! May the Lord's will be done!

Poor and helpless as I am,

You cost for my vile care:

You called me by my name!

You cost all my burdens.

Wishing Your Lady a continual increase of all blessings, I am, my Lady,

Servant of Your Lordship, for God's sake. [23]

 

To make Your Lordship an instrument

 

Who knows, but it may please God to make Your Lordship an instrument in this glorious work of promoting a union among the workers of His vineyard

 

To the Countess of Huntingdon

WHITBY, April 20, 1764.

MY MALADY,--Since I have had the pleasure of seeing your Lordship, I have had many thoughts on the subject of our conversation; the result I hereby send to your Lordship, which I have hitherto communicated to none but my Lord Dartmouth.

Who knows, but it may please God to make Your Lordship an instrument in this glorious work of promoting a union among the workers of His vineyard. That He may guide and bless you in all your steps is the prayer of, my Lady, the affectionate and obedient servant of Your Lordship. [24]

 

I am very grateful to you for your encouraging response

 

I am very grateful to Your Lady for your encouraging response, which speaks clearly of a heart dedicated to God and eager for the advancement of His kingdom

 

To the Countess of Huntingdon

NEWCASTLE-UPON-TYNE, 16 May 1764.

MY DEAREST MALADY,--I am very indebted to your Lady for her encouraging reply, which speaks plainly of a heart devoted to God, and anxious for the advancement of His kingdom. I have also received an extremely friendly letter from Mr. Hart, [See Diary, v. 63-4; and letter of July 11, 1763.] testifying to a great desire for union among the preachers of the gospel. Only he carries the point considerably farther than I do, proposing a free debate about our various opinions. Now, I fear, this we cannot yet bear: I fear it may cause some intensity of expression, if not also of spirit, which may tear the wounds before they are fully closed. I am far from being sure that I could bear it alone, and perhaps others may be as weak as myself. To me, therefore, it still seems more expedient to avoid disputes of every kind—at least for a season, until we have tried each other's spirits, and confirmed our love to each other. I freely assume that I am tired of disputing; I am tired of putting up with it. My whole soul cries out, 'Peace! Peace!' —at least, with God's children, so that we can all join forces to continue the war against the 'rulers of the darkness of this world.' Still, I ask only one thing; I can demand nothing more,-- 'Your heart is right, as my heart is with yours, give me your hand, let us take sweet counsel together and strengthen one another in the Lord.'

If it be (God forbid) that I find no one to join me in this, I myself (with God's help) will carry it out. No one can prevent it. And I think my brother will think the same way—yes, and all who act in connection with us. Probably it might do much to this end, if those of our brethren who have opportunity were in Bristol on Thursday, August 9. Then we may spend a few hours in free conversation, either separately or in conjunction with the other preachers. I am afraid that if your Lordship could then be near, it might be of excellent use in confirming any kind and friendly disposition which our Lord may plant in the hearts of His servants. Surely, if this can be effectually done, we shall see Satan again as lightning falling from heaven.

Then the children of thy faith and prayer, thine joyful eyes shall see, see the prosperous Church, and share in its prosperity! [Poetical Works of J. and C. Wesley, viii. 245.]

--I am, my dear Lady, the most affectionate and obedient servant of your Lordship. [25]

 

I am grateful to you and to Lady Buchan

 

I am grateful to Your Lady and Lady Buchan for a gesture of your consideration that I did not expect at all. I intend to return thanks to Your Lady with this post

 

To the Countess of Huntingdon

LONDON, January 4, 1768.

MY DEAREST MALADY,--I am grateful to Your Lady and Lady Buchan for a gesture of your consideration that I did not expect at all. I intend to reciprocate thanks to Your Lady with this post.

This remark is very striking and just: If it is the Holy Spirit who testifies, then all that speaks against that testimony is a kind of blasphemy against the Holy Ghost. And when this is done by those who profess peculiarly to honor Him, it must, in a peculiar manner, grieve that blessed Spirit. Yet I have been astonished lately to observe how many who affirm salvation by faith have come across this; coming into utter conflict with Mr. Sandeman's notion that faith is but an assent to the Bible, and not only devaluing, but even ridiculing the whole experience of the children of God. But all the more I rejoice that your Lady is still preserved from this spreading contagion, and has also been clearly and openly permitted to declare the plain, simple, outmoded gospel.

I am glad to hear that you are thinking of coming to the city soon, but I am sorry that your health has not yet recovered. Still, we shall certainly be healthy, if health is better. For the Lord still rules in heaven and on earth.

Wishing Your Lady many happy years, I remain, my dear Lady,

Your very affectionate servant[26].

 

You have one of the first places in my esteem and affection

 

In short: as I am, I love you very much. You have one of the first places in my esteem and affection. And you once had a certain appreciation for me. But you can't go on if it depends on me seeing with your eyes or on me being in no mistake

 

To the Countess of Huntingdon

LONDON, June 19, 1771.

MY DEAREST MALADY,-- Many years ago I saw that 'without holiness no man shall see the Lord.' I began to follow her, and urged all with whom I had intercourse to do the same. Ten years later, God gave me a clearer vision than I had before of how to attain this—namely, by faith in the Son of God. And I immediately declared to all, 'We are saved from sin, we are sanctified, by faith.' I have witnessed it in private, in public, in print; and God has confirmed it by a thousand witnesses. I continue to declare this for more than thirty years, and God has continued to confirm the word of His grace. But during that time, nearly the whole religious world has taken a stand against me, and among the rest many of my own children, following the example of one of my eldest sons, Mr. Whitefield. Their general cry has been, 'He is insecure in faith; he preaches another gospel!' I answer, Whether the same is preached or not, it is the same as I have preached for more than thirty years. This may easily appear from what I have published during the whole of this period. I mention only three sermons: that on Salvation by Faith, printed in the year 1738; that on the Lord our Righteousness, printed a few years before; and that of Mr. Whitefield's funeral, printed only a few months ago. [See Works, v. 7-16, 234-46; vi. 167-82.] But they say, 'Ah, but you printed ten lines last August which contradict all your other writings! [Minutes of the Bristol Conference, 1770: 'Who of us is now accepted of God, etc.'] Do not be so sure of this. It is probable, at least, that I understand my own meaning as well as you do; and this meaning I once more stated in the sermon last mentioned. By this interpret these ten lines, and you will understand them better; though I think any one could see, even without this help, that the lines in question do not refer to the condition of obtaining, but of continuing in, the favour of God. But, whether the sentiment contained in these lines be right or wrong, and whether it be well or badly expressed, the gospel which I now preach God still confirms by new witnesses everywhere; perhaps never so much in this kingdom as in these last three months. Now, I argue from glaring and undeniable facts; God cannot bear witness to a lie. The gospel, therefore, which He confirms must be true in substance. There may be opinions held at the same time which are not exactly true; and who can be sure of it Perhaps I thought so one day: when I was much younger than I am now, I thought myself almost infallible; but I bless God, I now know myself better.

In short: as I am, I love you very much. You have one of the first places in my esteem and affection. And you once had a certain appreciation for me. But you cannot continue if it depends on my seeing with your eyes or on my being in any mistakes. What if I were in as many as Mr. Law himself? If you were, I would still love you, so long as your heart was still right with God. My dear friend, it seems that you have not yet well learned the meaning of these words, which I wish you to continue to write in my heart: 'Whoever does the will of My Father who is in heaven, is my brother, my sister, and my mother.' —I am, my dear lady,

Your affection. [27]

 

This is really an accusation

 

That is indeed an accusation! But I plead not guilty. And until this is proved to me, I must subscribe, my dear Lady

 

To the Countess of Huntingdon

NEAR HAY, AUGUST 14, 1771.

MY DEAREST MALADY,-- When I received your Lordship's previous letter, I did not know how to answer; and I thought, not only that silence would be the best answer, but also that which would please Your Lordship best. When I received Your Lordship's letter of the second moment, I immediately saw that I needed an answer; I only waited until the haste of the Conference was over so as not to do anything rash. I know that Your Lordship would not 'slavishly deny the truth.' I do not think I would either; especially that great truth Justification by Faith, which Mr. Law does indeed vehemently deny (and yet Mr. Law was a child of God), but for which I have given up all my worldly hopes, my friends, my reputation—yes, for which I have so often risked my life, and by the grace of God I will do again. 'The principles set forth in the minutes' I presume are not contrary to this, or that faith, to that consistent doctrinal plan, which was once handed down to the saints. I believe that whoever calmly considers Mr. Fletcher's Letters [Five Letters to the Honorable and Rev. Walter Shirley, which formed the First Control to Antinomianism. See Tyerman's Wesley's Designated Successor, p. 192. ] will be convinced of this. I fear, therefore, that 'zeal against these principles' is no less than zeal against the truth and against the honor of our Lord. 'The preservation of His honor seems to me so sacred,' and it has been so for more than forty years, that I have counted, and count, all the things that lose in comparison with it. But until Mr. Fletcher's printed letters are answered, I must think that all that has been spoken against these Acts is utterly destructive to His Honor, and a palpable affront both to Him as our Prophet and Father, but especially as King of His people. These letters (which, therefore, could not be suppressed without betraying the honor of our Lord) prove to a great extent that the Acts lay no other ground than that which is in the Scriptures, and which I have been preparing, and teaching others to do, for between thirty and forty years. Indeed, it would be striking if God today were to prosper my labors as much, if not more, converting and convincing sinners, if I were 'laying down another foundation, repugnant to the whole plan of man's salvation under the new covenant of grace, as well as to the plain meaning of our Established Church and all other Protestant Churches.' That is indeed an accusation! But I declare myself, not guilty. And until this is proved to me, I must subscribe, my dear Lady,

Your Lordship's truly affectionate but very wounded servant. [28]

 

Stand firm as a pillar of iron

 

O that you still (like that man of God who went before us to Abraham's bosom)

Stand firm as a pillar of iron And firm as a wall of brass!


To the Countess of Huntingdon

BRISTOL, September 16, 1773.

MY DEAREST MALADY,-- Your last favor has given me an indescribable satisfaction and cause for great gratitude to God. Indeed, I could not look upon it otherwise than as an answer to many prayers which I have been led to make from time to time, especially when I have heard of any difficulty or affective providence of any kind of meeting of your Lordship. Then I let my heart melt within me, and desired to tell your Lordship, whether in words or in writing, what I have in your sufferings. It weighed all the more heavily upon me when I considered how few now remain below those who many years ago rejoiced to see the indomitable earnestness with which your Lady left the quiet and pleasant shadows to come abroad and plead in open days the cause of a despised Saviour. What a blessing it is that His guardian love and care have preserved you from those early days in dangers known and unknown, and have carried you through honor and dishonor, evil and good report! O that you still (like that man of God who went before us to Abraham's bosom)

Stand firm as a pillar of iron

And firm as a brass wall!

It is most remarkable that the gentleman of the province has undertaken to build the House of Orphans. Surely this is the work of the Lord! Let me just mention a thought that has crossed my mind: it would not be for the glory of God to adhere in part to the original plan—to have some orphans there (a glorious charity) and an academy—I only allow myself to mention and leave it to your Lordship's mature consideration.

Wishing Your Lady a continual increase of faith and loving zeal, I remain, my dear Lady,

Your Lordship's most affectionate servant. [29]

 

Celebrating the Countess of Huntingdon's birthday and her school's birthday

 

Here, we find an influx of people from all over, coming to celebrate the birth anniversary of the Countess of Huntingdon and the anniversary of her school, which opened on August 24 last year

 

23/08/1769 – Wednesday. I went to Trevecka. Here we found an influx of people from all over, who had come to celebrate the birth anniversary of the Countess of Huntingdon and the anniversary of her school, which was opened on August 24 last year.

I preached in the evening in his chapel, which was of the utmost taste and elegance; as the dining-room, the school, and the whole house were, to as many persons as it was possible to be well accommodated. About nine, Howell Harris asked me to make a short exhortation to his family, which I did, and then I returned to Milady's house, and lay down in peace. [30]

 

Conflict with Calvinism

 

The conflict between John Wesley (1703-1791) and Calvinism was one of the most significant theological debates of the eighteenth century, centering on the understanding of God's grace, salvation, and free will. Although Wesley held personal respect for Calvinist leaders such as George Whitefield, he vehemently disagreed with the doctrine of absolute predestination. [31]

 

Wesley's stance "generated tensions with Calvinist leaders of the time, such as George Whitefield, who advocated unconditional election (that God chose in advance who would be saved)". [32]

In 1770, at the Annual Conference, there was a conflict between Calvinistic Methodists and Arminian Methodists. There was an accusation that Calvinistic Methodists had led to "spiritual mediocrity and antinomianism."[33] Countess Selina was the one who raised questions.

Defending Wesley

Methodist and parish priest John Fletcher then stood up at the meeting to defend Wesley.

To Calvinist ears, the minutes of the 1770 Annual Conference seemed to "endorse works necessary for salvation. The Countess demanded that her professors sign a disapproval, which in the end Fletcher refused to do. Resigning from the faculty, he put his pen at the service of Wesley and his Arminian theology."[34]

The Methodist Joseph Benson was principal of the Trevecca college that Countess Selina had created. As he did not embrace predestination, he was fired. Fletcher, who was president of the Countess's Institution, then took a stand.[35]

Fletcher wrote to the Countess resigning the presidency of the Institution: "Mr. Benson made a very fair defense when he said that with me he held the possibility of salvation for all men, and that mercy is either offered to all, though it may be received or rejected. If this is what your lordship identifies as Mr. Wesley's opinion, free will or Arminianism, and if any Arminian has to leave the college, I am indeed equally dismissed. In view of my present view on this question, I am obliged to maintain this sentiment ... the Bible is true and God is Love."[36]

He was a person of principle and character. He resigned, preferring to leave the presidency of the University of South Wales founded by Selina, Countess of Huntingdon.

From then on, "Fletcher emerged as Wesley's authoritative interpreter with the publication of a series of books under the title, Checks to Antinomianism, which were edited, corrected, and published by Wesley."[37]

 

Repay you, the Countess, and all the brothers seven times for the kindnesses you have given us!

 

Repay you, the Countess, and all the brothers seven times for the kindnesses you have shown us! It would have been a great satisfaction for me to be able to spend more time with Christians who love one another

John Whitehead quoted in the book "The Life of the Rev. John Wesley":

"May our gracious Lord, who considers everything that is done to the least of his brethren as done to himself, may he repay you, the Countess, and all the brethren seven times for the kindnesses they have rendered us! It would have been a great satisfaction to me to be able to spend more time with Christians who love one another.

But this was not possible at that time, for my Master had called me to labor in another part of his vineyard. Nor did I return here before the time was right: for, though a great and effectual door had been opened, the adversaries had placed so many obstacles before it, that the weak were daily diverted from the way. Innumerable misunderstandings had arisen, causing the way of truth to be much maligned; and from this sprang wrath, shouting, bitterness, backbiting, envy, strife, injury, and evil suspicions; things by which the enemy gained such an advantage over the little flock that no one dared to join them any more.

"But now it has pleased our blessed Master to remove in a great measure these stumbling blocks. The word of the Lord again runs and is glorified; and his work goes on and prospers." Great multitudes are awakening everywhere and crying, "What must we do to be saved?" Many of them see that there is but one name under heaven by which they can be saved; and more and more those who seek him find salvation in his name, all of one heart and soul. All love one another, and are united in one body and one spirit, as well as in one faith and one hope of their calling.

The love and zeal of our brethren in Holland and Germany, particularly in Herrnhut, have awakened many among us, who will not be satisfied until they have also shared in the great and precious promises.

I hope, God willing, to see you at least once more, if only to offer you the fruit of my love: to speak openly about some things of which I did not approve—perhaps because I did not understand them. May our merciful Lord grant you right judgment in all things, and make you abound more and more in all humility and meekness, in all simplicity and godly sincerity, in all vigilance and sobriety; in a word, in all faith and love—especially toward those who are without—until you are merciful as your Father in heaven is merciful!

"My desire and prayer to God is that the glorious gospel of his Son may run and be glorified among you, as it is among us." [38]

 

I hate Mr. Wesley above all creatures on earth

 

I therefore believed it my duty to speak with all freedom, which I did in a long letter. But she was so displeased that she said to a friend, 'I hate Mr. Wesley above all the creatures of the earth.'

 

To Lady Maxwell

LONDON, September 30, 1788.

My DEAR MALADY,-- For many years a great person has professed, and I believe, had great regard for me. [The Countess of Huntingdon.] I therefore thought it my duty to speak with all freedom, which I did in a long letter. But she was so displeased that she said to a friend, 'I hate Mr. Wesley above all the creatures of the earth.'

Mary Bishop was initially associated with Calvinist Countess Lady Huntingdon, but Mary went to the Methodist movement after disagreements with the Countess. [39]

 



[1] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[2] No. XXVI, London, Tuesday, August 7, 1770, Q. 28. A. 2. Minutes of the Methodist Conferences 1744-98 [Mason, 1862] 95).

[3]https://www.catalystresources.org/john-fletcher-the-first-wesley-scholar

[4]BARBIERI, Sante Uberto. Strange Strain of the Bold. Methodist Press, São Paulo, p.100-101.

[5] [5] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1770/

[6] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selina_Hastings,_Countess_of_Huntingdon

[7] [7] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1788/

[8] [8] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/

[9] Diary of John Wesley. John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791. São Paulo, SP – Angular Editora, 2017.

[10] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[11] Diary of John Wesley. John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791. São Paulo, SP – Angular Editora, 2017.

[12] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[13] Diary of John Wesley. John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791. São Paulo, SP – Angular Editora, 2017.

[14] Diary of John Wesley. John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791. São Paulo, SP – Angular Editora, 2017. 

[15] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selina_Hastings,_Countess_of_Huntingdon

[16] [16] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1743/

[17] [17] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1744/

[18] [18] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1759/

[19] No. XXVI, London, Tuesday, August 7, 1770, Q. 28. A. 2. Minutes of the Methodist Conferences 1744-98 [Mason, 1862] 95).

[20]https://www.catalystresources.org/john-fletcher-the-first-wesley-scholar

[22] BARBIERI, Sante Uberto. Estranha Estirpe de Audazes. Imprensa Metodista, São Paulo, p.101.

[23] [23] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1763/

[24] [24] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1764/

[25] [25] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1764/

[26] [26] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1768/

[27] [27] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/

[28] [28] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/

[29] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1773/

[30] Diary of John Wesley. John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791. São Paulo, SP – Angular Editora, 2017.

[31] Overview Powered by Google AI

32] Overview Powered by Google AI

[33] No. XXVI, London, Tuesday, August 7, 1770, Q. 28. A. 2. Minutes of the Methodist Conferences 1744-98 [Mason, 1862] 95).

[34]https://www.catalystresources.org/john-fletcher-the-first-wesley-scholar

[35]BARBIERI, Sante Uberto. Strange Strain of the Bold. Methodist Press, São Paulo, p.100-101.

[36] BARBIERI, Sante Uberto. Estranha Estirpe de Audazes. Imprensa Metodista, São Paulo, p.101.

[37]https://www.catalystresources.org/john-fletcher-the-first-wesley-scholar

[38] The life of the Rev. John Wesley, M.A. by John Whitehead, 1793.

[39] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1788/


Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas deste blog