Wesley's resilience
when he was abandoned by his wife
Odilon
Massolar Chaves
Copyright
© 2026, Odilon Massolar Chaves
All rights
reserved to the author.
It is
allowed to read, copy and share for free.
Article
184 of the Penal Code and Law 96710 of February 19, 1998.
Books
published in the Wesleyan Digital Library: 891
Books
published by the author: 931
Cover:
John Wesley - Facebook José Viladecans
Odilon
Massolar Chaves is a retired Methodist pastor, with a doctorate in Theology and
History from the Methodist University of São Paulo.
Son of
Rev. Adherico Ribeiro Chaves and Roza Massolar Chaves.
He is
married to RoseMary.
He has two
daughters: Liliana and Luciana.
His thesis
dealt with the Methodist revival in England in the eighteenth century and its
contribution as a paradigm for our days.
Table of Contents
· Introduction
· How
Wesley's resilience manifested itself
· I'm not
surprised at all
· Keep constantly doing and suffering God's holy and acceptable will
· If I can be of use to you in anything else, tell me
· We must
move on
· And while in other magazines the accused is free to answer for himself,
here it is not so
· I need to write a few lines, though I don't have time
· No, I don't forbid you to be linked to us
· It is a great blessing that in your years you are preserved from seeking
happiness in any creature
· O beware of every degree of laziness or indolence
· And be willing to suffer with Him, so that you can reign with Him
· What can hurt us if our eye is single?
· As soon as you put on your armor, it was fitting that it should be tried
on
· I'm glad you finally broke those evil reasonings
· Let me help you in your joy
· So expect to see greater things than these, for there is no end to
goodness
· So far God has helped you
· But let them come for you like bees, they will be extinguished like the
fire among the thorns
· If Satan wanted you to sift you like wheat, that is also for your
benefit
· This is the very purpose of that anointing we have from God
· If you feel good to write something about the Methodists, I urge you
first to learn who they are and what they are
· But, in any case, I did my duty
· God's grace can totally subdue the most stubborn nature
· It will be very pleasing to God
· It's so far from being sin in itself
· Also to suffer with Him, to drink a little of the cup from which He
drank
· I would not advise our brother Hamilton to go out of business
· The work of God, called Methodism, is an extraordinary dispensation from
His providence
· And all they say most about you is your cross
· But just look to the One who loves you
· God is more or less pleased with us, according to all our inward and
outward behavior
· Every hour of mine is constantly and fully employed
· Our job now is to love and obey
· I
understand myself
· It is desirable to glorify God
· Therefore, for your mother's sake, I will alter my project
· The main point is to keep what we receive
· You certainly need to observe at all
· Do not delay the time to embrace all the great and precious promises
· The antidote cannot spread as fast as the poison
· Your present weakness, I hope, will be an unspeakable blessing
· I want to know how you're doing and what you're doing
· Hold on to Him with all your heart
· Do and suffer all the will of the one who calls you
· Restore
your health
· You want me to think for you. That's not my design
· Their hatred of goodwill is the cross we are called to carry
· That peace will increase as your faith grows
· There will always be something incomprehensible
· Reproach for doing our duty is an indescribable blessing
· Keep what God has given you
· I'm glad you managed to do so much
· Everywhere there is a remarkable blessing present in the prayer
meetings.
· So everything is ready for you
· It is a great blessing that your co-workers and you are all in unison
· Send him to visit the whole Company
· But what are crosses and difficulties for those who experience the
living power of divine faith?
· God will give you strength according to your day
· Love Shifts
the Scales
· It does seem that the time has come when our Lord will put away our
reproach
· I hope this affliction will be a great blessing to your brother
Introduction
"Wesley's resilience when he was abandoned by his wife" is an
89-page book based on Wesley's letters.
His wife Molly (Mary
Vazeille) had abandoned him a few times, but then returned. In 1771, she
abandoned him for good.
Wesley's resilience
manifested itself as follows: Absolute focus on mission and the Lord; Wesley
saw tribulation as a form of cross and for improvement; by seeking first the
Kingdom, Wesley preserved his mental and spiritual health; by serving and
glorifying the Lord, he refused bitterness in his life. [1]
Wesley kept busy. He made
long journeys, preached constantly during the week, had many contacts, held
cell meetings, prayed long during the day, prepared studies, wrote many
letters, meditated constantly on the Word, etc.
Confidence
in the power of God against the power of hell. Wesley believed that the powers
of hell could not defeat the faithful. To Philothea Briggs, on May 2, 1771,
Wesley said, "When all the powers of hell are against you. But let them
come for you like bees, they will be extinguished like fire among thorns."
[2]
Wesley's temper was subdued
by grace. He was sustained by grace. Passions were crucified and overcome by
God's love in his life.
For Wesley, we are called
to drink some of the cup from which Jesus drank. Suffering is part of the
Christian life, but the blessings are endless.
Wesley
did not look at people's criticism. He said to Isaac Twycross on October 29,
1771, "Reproach for doing our duty is an indescribable blessing." [3]
Ultimately, the source of
happiness for Wesley was the Lord, not marriage. As a result, he more easily
overcame the separation.
In all his letters of 1771,
there is not a line of news or lamentation for the separation.
Wesley lived on another
level, under the grace of the Lord of the Kingdom of God.
The Author
How Wesley's
resilience manifested itself
Wesley's
resilience manifested itself after their definitive separation as follows:
He
looked only to the mission and to the Lord: He
said that we have to have "one eye" – to look only to the mission and
to the Lord. Wesley said that we have nothing more to do than save souls and
their own.
To Ann Bolton, on June 15, 1771, Wesley said,
"Happy are those who do His will, and still happier are those who suffer
it. But whatever they suffer, do not discard that confidence which brings great
reward in reward. To maintain it, do not reason, but only look to Him who loves
you." [4]
Wesley saw the tribulation as a form of cross
and for improvement.
To Mrs. Crosby, on June 13, 1771, Wesley
said, "It is not improbable that he may then see things more clearly; but
if he does not, you will have given up your own soul. And all that is said more
of you is your cross. Hold on, and it will bear thee." [5]
For
Wesley, we are called to drink some of the cup from which Jesus drank.
Suffering is part of the Christian life, but the blessings are endless.
To Ann Bolton, on June 8, 1771, Wesley wrote,
"Woman, remember faith! It is given to you to believe in the name of the
Son of God! No, and also to suffer with Him, to drink a little of the cup from
which He drank. O beware, be neither weary nor dazed in your mind! See what
blessings are in store for you." [6]
He trusted in the power of God against the
power of hell. Wesley
believed that the powers of hell could not defeat the faithful.
To Philothea Briggs, on May 2, 1771, Wesley
said, "When all the powers of hell are against you. But let them come for
you like bees, they will be extinguished like fire among thorns." [7]
Wesley
sought first the Kingdom of God by trusting in the Lord's reign. Thus
Wesley preserved his mental and spiritual health.
To Mary Bishop, on September 1, 1771, Wesley
said: But the antidote cannot spread as fast as the poison. Nevertheless, the
Lord reigns, and consequently all these things will work together for the
increase of His kingdom." [8]
Wesley
refused bitterness and negative or evil thoughts: Despite
being publicly exposed, Wesley maintained a posture of dignity and did not seek
revenge. [9]
To Philothea Briggs, on May 28, 1771, Wesley
said, "And the Bible gives us no authority to think evil of any one except
by simple, undeniable, explicit acts." [10]
Wesley
sought happiness in the real Source: Wesley
taught that the source of happiness cannot be in marriage, but in the Lord.
Therefore, he overcame the separation more easily.
To Elizabeth Briggs, on March 17, 1771,
Wesley said, "It is a great blessing that in your years you are preserved
from seeking happiness in any creature. You need not, for Christ is yours. O
cling to Him with all your heart." [11]
Wesley did not live with an
"empty head." He kept himself constantly busy. Wesley
made long trips, preached constantly during the week, had many contacts, wrote
many letters, held cell meetings, prayed long hours during the day, always
prepared studies, meditated constantly on the Word, etc.
To Philothea Briggs, on July 13, 1771, Wesley
said, "But I have no spare time; every hour of mine is constantly and
wholly employed." [12]
Wesley's
temper was subdued by grace. He was sustained by
grace. Passions were crucified and overcome by God's love in his life.
Writing to Philothea Briggs on May 28, 1771,
He said, "It is true that his temper is at once lively and unstable, and
his passions are naturally strong. But this is not much: the grace of God can
utterly subdue the most stubborn nature." [13]
Wesley didn't look at
people's criticism. Wesley didn't necessarily
suffer criticism or disapproval for the separation, but if he did, he would
overcome it.
He said to Isaac Twycross on October 29,
1771, "Reproach for doing our duty is an indescribable blessing." [14]
Wesley lived on another level. He lived under
the grace of the Lord.
Wesley's
letters, in 1771 and in the following years, reveal well how he dealt naturally
and wisely with the separation and how important his resilience was. In his
orientations there is no bitter, negative or depressive tone. There is no
accusation or revolt.
The
separation had no influence on him. He fulfilled his ministry. In Wesley's
letters in 1771, we will find Wesley's wise statements, advice, and attitudes:
I'm not surprised at all
I'm not surprised at all. When people are governed by passion rather
than reason, we can expect little good
To Joseph Benson
LONDON, January 7, 1771.
DEAR JOSEPH,-- I am not at all surprised.
When people are governed by passion rather than reason, we can expect little
good. I do not see that there is anything culpable in your behaviour. You could
not do or say less with a clear conscience. I suppose you have already given:
to Mr. Fletcher a clear account of what has happened; though you can hardly
make things right. Where do you think of taking your course now? You are
welcome to stay at Kingswood until you are better served.
I will write to Mr. Mather [Alexander Mather,
then assistant in the Bristol Circuit. See Wesley's Veterans, ii. 107.] to
enter Brecknockshire. You may always be assured of whatever service is within
the reach of dear Joseph,
Your affectionate brother.
To Mr. Jos. Benson, at Mr. Churchey's house,
near The Hay, Brecon. [15]
Keep constantly doing and
suffering God's holy and acceptable will
We are still preparing to
receive our reward. Continue to constantly do and suffer God's holy and
acceptable will
For Hannah Ball
LONDON, January 24, 1771.
MY DEAR SISTER,-- The right way is,
Doing and doing the will of our Lord,
We are still preparing to receive our reward.
[See Poetical Works of J. and C. Wesley, vol. 427.] Continue constantly doing
and suffering the holy and acceptable will of God. Sometimes it pleases Him to
let us sow much seed before there is any visible fruit. But often much comes
suddenly, at a time and in a way we least expected. Thus God confounds human
wisdom, and limits the glorifier to glory in the Lord.
I am glad that God's providence has brought
you to Wallingford, if only for the sake of poor Miss Hartly. Hartly. [See the
August 3 letter to Miss Hartly. March.] She has departed us for a season when
we could receive her again forever. That should be an encouragement to you to
work with others who are regressing. No one is ruined as long as he comes out
of hell.--I am, my dear sister,
Your affectionate brother.
To Miss Ball. Ball. At Mr. Ball's house,
Laceman, in High Wycombe. [16]
If I can be of use to you
in anything else, tell me
Be careful never to read or
write for too long. This is not beneficial for either physical or spiritual
health.
If I can be of use to you
in anything else, tell me
To Philothea Briggs
LONDON, January 25, 1771.
MY DEAR PHILLY,-- While you want some
guidance on improving your mind, I will write down what occurred to me at the
moment. But since my business is great and my time is short, I cannot stay to
explain them in a general way.
All the knowledge you want is gathered in one
book—the Bible. When you understand this, you will know enough. I advise,
therefore, that you begin each day (before or after private prayer) by reading
a portion or so of the Old or New Testament, or both, if you have time,
together with the Notes, that can lead you by the hand into proper meditation.
After breakfast you may read in order the volumes of Sermons and other
practical books which we have published, more or less at a time (as other
business permits), with meditation and prayer. Young, Milton, and the Moral and
Sacred Poems you may read chiefly in the afternoon.
Whatever you write, you should write it the
mornings before. But learn to write at an angle, not resting on your chest.
Be careful never to read or write for too
long. This is not beneficial for either physical or spiritual health.
If I can be of use to you in anything else,
tell me; you know you can speak freely to, my dear Philly,
With affection. [17]
We must move on
But that's okay: we must
move forward, whoever comes back or moves away. I hope your class goes well and
that you don't get tired of doing well. The Lord is near
To Maria
Bishop
LONDON,
February 16, 1771.
MY DEAR SISTER,-- Never be afraid to be a
nuisance. That wouldn't be the case if you wrote every week.
You look inward too much and upward too
little.
Christ is ready to give
Life to all, for the life that sighs;
In your mouth and in your heart
The word is always close.
Encourage yourself to trust Him; That is your
point: then He will do all good.
Legality, to most who use this term, really
means tenderness of conscience. There is no propriety in the word if one would
interpret it as a justification by works. Considering, therefore, how difficult
it is to correct the meaning of this strange term, and how terribly abused it
has been, I think it highly recommended that all Methodists should lay it
aside.
If he could find any other doctrine which he
particularly found mine, Mr. Shirley would be as irritated with it as with
Christian Perfection. But that's okay: we must move on, who comes back or goes
away. I hope your class goes well, and that you don't get tired of doing well. The
Lord is near.--I am, my dear sister,
Your affectionate brother. [18]
And while in other
magazines the accused is free to answer for himself, here it is not so
The editor of a monthly
publication pompously called Gospel Magazine, Mr. Romaine, fell violently on
one or another who gave him no conscious provocation. And while in other
magazines the accused is free to answer for himself, here it is not so: this
gentleman will publish only the accusation, but not the defense
To the Editor of the 'Lloyd's Evening Post'
LONDON,
February 26, 1771.
LORD,-- The editor of a monthly publication
pompously called Gospel Magazine, Mr. Romaine, fell violently upon one or another
who gave him no conscious provocation. And while in other magazines the accused
is at liberty to answer for himself, here it is not so: this gentleman will
publish only the accusation, but not the defence. What can a person thus
injuriously treated do? To publish pamphlets over every head would not answer
the end; for the answer would not come anywhere near as many hands as the
objections. There is, then, a better way than to appeal to sincere men in one
of the public papers, which means that the antidote will act as much as widely
as as quickly as the poison. Therefore this method I finally adopt, after
postponing as long as I could with innocence.
In this magazine of last month there is a
heated attack on my sermon on the death of Mr. Whitefield.
The first charge is against the text, 'Let me
die the death of the righteous.' 'How improper,' says Mr. Romaine, 'to apply
the words of a mad prophet to so holy a man as Mr. Whitefield!'
'Inappropriate'! See how the doctors differ! I think nothing could be more
correct. If Mr. Romaine really said to his congregation, some of whom did not
like him to attack my poor text before, 'Whosoever is angry, I care not; I will
not justify Balaam as long as I live'; but others imagine that nothing could be
more fitting than that Balaam junior should use the words of his forefather;
especially as he did not apply them to Mr. Whitefield, but to himself. Surely a
poor reprobate may, without offence, wish to die as one of the elect. I venture
to say that they all understood this the moment they heard the message; if not,
the hymn I sang itself showed to whom I applied the words,--
Ah, that's without a long moan
May I receive the word of welcome,
My body with my load lay down,
And stop working and living immediately!
But the chief attack is upon the sermon
itself, in which I am accused of asserting a gross falsehood before God and the
congregation, and which knowing it was such—namely, 'That the great fundamental
doctrines which Mr. Whitefield preached everywhere were those of the New Birth
and Justification by Faith.' 'No,' says Mr. Romaine; 'Not at all: the great
fundamental doctrines which he preached everywhere were the Everlasting
Covenant between the Father and the Son, and the Absolute Predestination which
flowed from it.'
I agree with the question on this. Whether or
not the doctrines of the Everlasting Covenant and Absolute Predestination are
the great fundamental doctrines of Christianity, I again assert (1) that Mr.
Whitefield did not everywhere preach these doctrines; (2) that he everywhere
preached the New Birth and Justification by Faith.
1. He did not everywhere preach the
Everlasting Covenant and Absolute Predestination. I never heard him utter a
sentence about the one or the other. Yes, as often as he preached in West
Street Chapel and in our other chapels throughout England, he did not preach
these doctrines at all—no, not in a single paragraph; which, by the way, is a
demonstration that he did not regard them as the fundamental doctrines of
Christianity.
2. Both in the West Street Chapel and in all
our other chapels throughout England, he preached the necessity of the new
birth and justification by faith as clearly as he did in his two volumes of
printed sermons; therefore all that I have affirmed is true, and attested by
ten thousand witnesses.
Nay, says Mr. Romaine, 'Mr. Whitefield has
everywhere insisted on other fundamental doctrines, the basis of which arise
from the new birth and justification, with which they are inseparably
connected: these are the everlasting covenants which have been entered into by
the Holy Trinity, and by the eternal and unchangeable election of sinners by
God the Father' (by virtue of which one-fiftieth part of mankind shall be
saved, Do what they will; and the other forty-nine parts shall be accursed, do
what they can); - 'These doctrines are of no less essential nature than
Regeneration or Justification. No, not at all; they are, in full, equally
essential to the glory of God. Yes, there is an inseparable connection between
them. This is a very essential, fundamental point.' (Gospel Magazine, p. 41.)
If so, then everyone who does not possess it
must perish forever. If, as you here affirm, he cannot be justified, then he
cannot be saved. If, as you say, he cannot be born again, 'he cannot see the
kingdom of God.'
After stating this, can Mr. Romaine ever
pronounce the name of Catholic love? Is it not quite the opposite of this? The
height and depth of prejudice? Does this spirit honor his opinion? Can we
conceive of anything more horrible? Is it not enough to make a human person
shudder? Yes, to chill his blood, I shall not enter here upon the merits of the
cause; I need not. It is done with my hands. The whole doctrine of
Predestination is amply discussed in these three treatises recently printed—An
Answer to the Eleven Letters commonly attributed to Mr. Hervey, Arguments
against General Redemption Considered, and An Answer to Elisha Coles. [See
Green's Bibliography, No. 227; and the letter of December 30, 1769.] Until this
is seriously and firmly refuted, I have nothing more to say about it. But I
must state that to exclude from salvation all who do not believe in the
Horrible Decree is a shocking insult to all mankind, to common sense, and to
common humanity. "I am, etc. [19]
I need to write a few
lines, though I don't have time
I must write a few lines, though I have not
time. You seem to be providentially thrown into the harvest. But consider what
you do. Read the minutes of the conference, and see if you can conform to them.
Likewise, think whether you can refrain from talking about Universal Salvation
and Mr. Fletcher's late discovery
To Joseph Benson
BRISTOL, March 9, 1771.
DEAR JOSEPH,-- I must write a few lines,
though I have not time. You seem to be providentially cast into the harvest.
But consider what you do. Read the minutes of the conference, and see if you
can conform to them. In like manner, think whether you can refrain from
speaking of Universal Salvation and the late discovery of Mr. Fletcher. The
Methodists, in general, could not bear this. It would create a great deal of
debate and confusion. I would have you read this sermon in the first volume on
The Spirit of Slavery and Adoption. [Works, v. 98-111.] Invenio te corde
simplament, as the Count speaks, sed turbatis ideis. [I have found thee simple
of heart, but troubled with your ideas.' See Diary, ii. 488.]
My compliments to Mr. Hallward. "I am,
dear Joseph,
With affection. [20]
No, I don't forbid you to
be linked to us
No, I do not forbid you to
be attached to us. I believe that Providence calls you to this. I only warn you
of what would diminish your usefulness. On this subject I never allow myself to
reason
To Joseph Benson
CHESTER,
March 16. 1771.
DEAR JOSEPH,-- No, I do not forbid you to be
attached to us. I believe that Providence calls you to this. I only warn you of
what would diminish your usefulness. On this subject I never allow myself to
reason. I must quickly convince myself that I am a deist, perhaps an atheist. I
am glad that you do not put stress on it. We have better subjects to put our
thoughts into practice.
A babe in Christ (of whom I know thousands)
sometimes has the testimony. A young man (in St. John's sense) has it
continually. I believe that he who is perfected in love, or filled with the
Holy Ghost, may properly be called a father. We should press both infants and
young men to aspire—yes, to wait. And why not now? I would have you give
another reading to the Simple Account of Christian Perfection.—I am, dear
Joseph,
Your affectionate brother.
P.S.--While I am in Ireland, you need only go
straight to Dublin. I am afraid that soft words prevailed over Mr. Fletcher and
convinced him that it was all his fault. He promised to write to me from Wales,
but I did not receive a single line.
To Mr. Benson, at Edmund Hall, Oxon. [21]
It is a great blessing that
in your years you are preserved from seeking happiness in any creature
To Elizabeth Briggs
CHESTER, March 17, 1771.
MY DEAR BETSY,-- You do well to break this
needless fear. Love me more, and fear me less; then you will taste,
Love, like the grave, renders all
distinctions vain. ['Love, like death, hath destroyed all.' See Poetical Works
of J. and C. Wesley, i. 362; also letter of February 15, 1769.] You have great
reason to praise Him who has done great things for you. What you want now is to
come boldly to the throne of grace, that the hunger and thirst for the full
image, which God has given you, may be satisfied. Full salvation is at hand,
even at the door. Just believe, and it is yours. It is a great blessing that in
your years you are preserved from seeking happiness in any creature. You need
not, for Christ is yours. O cleave to Him with all your heart--I am, my dear
Betsy,
With affection. [22]
O beware of every degree of
laziness or indolence
For JosephPilmoor
DUBLIN,
March 27, 1771.
DEAR JOSEPH,-- I cannot find your letter near
or high, so for the present I can only answer by guessing. Some of our friends
here bitterly condemn both you and Richard Boardman. They do so in response to
a letter from one of your correspondents in New York, which states: That the
preaching houses there and at Philadelphia were established after the
Methodists; but that one or both of them destroyed the first writings, and
obtained others to be drawn, in which the houses are given to you.' I could not
know how to answer the charge. Send me the simple state of the case, that I may
know what to say. I think the matter must be very much misunderstood. For where
are the people I can trust, for disinterested men, one-eyed men, if Richard
Boardman and Joseph Pilmoor are not like that What happened to Robert Williams
Where he is now And what he is doing He and John King are a teaching spirit
They act in concert with you Still, I complain of you all for writing too
little. Surely it would not hurt you if you wrote once a month. O beware of
every degree of laziness or indolence! Be good soldiers of Jesus Christ, and
send a circumstantial account of all his happenings to, dear Joseph,
Your affectionate friend and brother.
To Mr. Pilmoor, at the home of Mr. Lupton, a
merchant, in New York. [23]
And be willing to suffer
with Him, so that you can reign with Him
Be exceedingly cautious in
your conversation, that it may be worthy of the gospel of Christ. Let not the
vivacity of your spirit lead you to lightness; cheerful earnestness is the
point at which you must aim. And be willing to suffer with Him, that you may
reign with Him. Deny yourself, take up your cross daily, and follow Him
To Philothea Briggs
DUBLIN,
March 30, 1771.
MY DEAR PHILLY,-- So poor, tempted, and
disconsolate was Nancy Bolton sent to London for your sake also! She was sent
to you, among others, to feed your expectations of the great salvation. And
what is it that our Lord calls you now? To which you have attained steadfast!
You may, no doubt, lose what God has given; but you never have to. Is not His
grace sufficient for you? Is not His strength made perfect in weakness? Indeed,
you will pass through the fire; but lean on it, and the flames will not kindle
upon you. You will cross the waters; but keep Him secure, and the floods will
not pass you by. Suffer all, and overcome all.
In every temptation He keeps you to try
His supreme salvation, His fullness of love I
Be exceedingly cautious in your conversation,
that it may be worthy of the gospel of Christ. Do not let the vivacity of your
spirit lead you to lightness; cheerful earnestness is the point at which you
must aim. And be willing to suffer with Him, that you may reign with Him. Deny
yourself, take up your cross daily, and follow Him.--My dear Philadelphia, I am
With affection.
While I'm in Ireland, you just need to go
straight to Dublin.
To Miss Phil. Briggs, at Miss March's house,
in Worship Street, Moorfields, London. [24]
What can hurt us if our eye
is single?
To Damaris Perronet
DUBLIN, March 30, 1771.
I am not surprised that you are so close to
Miss Bolton. Bolton. She is a lovely young woman. When she was with us for the
last time, I marked every word and almost every meaning of her; but I found
nothing to rebuke. There was holiness and love in all her actions. God sent her
to you in acceptable time. She came with a good message, and blessed is she who
believed; for there will be a performance of what she was told. He will water
you every moment, and on it depends the continuance of the great salvation. She
will certainly continue if you observe and pray; and yet not without
temptation. I hope temptations will come upon you
Thick as autumn leaves that spread the
valleys,
But what are the temptations to you, he gives
you occasions of struggle which you may win. If there is no struggle, there is
no victory. There is no general rule by which we can always determine whether a
thought comes from a good or evil spirit; but on all particular occasions we
may plead this promise: If a man is willing to do My will, he will know the
doctrine, or suggestion, by the light then given, be of God.'
Your affectionate brother.
The following three undated letters to Miss
Perronet can be inserted here:--
I have a feeling that you have many trials,
not only those that are grievous to flesh and blood, but others that oppose
those desires that do not come from nature, but from the Spirit of God; And if
you chose for yourself, you should not choose the situation you are in now. If
you did, it would be a great pain to your soul. It would hinder God's work in
you. But you do not choose for yourself; God chooses for you: and He cannot
err; so that you can say with confidence,--
I will trust in my great skill as a doctor:
What He prescribes can never be sick.
It is true, it may seem to us, because we are
little seen and without understanding; but in this case we can also apply His
word: Blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.' O believe,
and feel Him near! Believe and experience this blessing. He calls you to a
stormy path; but is it not He Himself who has trampled it before you? And He
does not go with you by fire, that you may not be burned, nor can the flames
kindle upon you? Then, like clay in the Potter's hand, that He may mark you with
all His image. Be still, and know that He is God—your God, your love, all of
you. Be like a child before Him. God's word for the old years, Speak unto the
children of Israel, that they may go forward,' is, no doubt, spoken to you.
Horses, carts, armies, mountains, and seas cannot stop you; for God is on your
side. Have with you Him who has all power in heaven. O trust in Him, and you
will praise Him! And be sure to remember in your prayers
Your affectionate brother.
In time they will have the abiding testimony
of His Spirit, and He will shine upon His own work; and why not now? Ask, and
it will be given you. The Lord is near; and He cannot deny Himself. His
judgments, you know, are all chosen by God. It is the cup that your Father has
given you; and He blesses you and will bless you as long as He wants to give
it. When it is better, He will take it away and give you outward communion with
His children. Continue in private prayer, in spite of all the cold and wanderings,
and soon you will pray without ceasing.
Your
affectionate brother.
This remarkable sinking of spirit did not
necessarily imply any previous infidelity. It may be because of the body. In
such an age, you have nothing to do but simply give yourself into God's hands.
Tell him, Lord, I am Yours. I will be Yours. I desire to be Yours alone
forever. You will answer for me. Keep Yours and let me do or suffer just as You
seem to be good to You.' What can hurt us if our eye is single? Look ahead!
Holiness and heaven are before you. You need not determine whether or not your
heart is renewed until the witness speaks within you and puts it beyond all
doubt. You are guided in a brusque way: it is a sure way. A smoother way would
be more dangerous. Your earnest desire for the most excellent means of grace is
neither sin nor disease. It is right to say, My soul has a desire and longing
to enter into the courtyards of the house of my God.' Read Psalm 84 and try to
see if your heart responds to it. For the moment, exercise all the faith you
have, and it will increase day by day.
Your affectionate brother. [25]
Note: "In the eighteenth century, the phrase "if thine eye
be single" (a literal translation of the time for expressions such as "if
thine eye be single") was used by John Wesley to mean having a
single, pure, and indivisible intention to please God in all actions. This
biblical metaphor (taken from Matthew 6:22) was one of the pillars of Wesley's
practical theology and the Methodist movement. It connects directly to two
central concepts of his preaching." [26]
As soon as you put on your
armor, it was fitting that it should be tried on
As soon as you put on your
armor, it was fitting that you should be tested; so God has prepared for you
the occasions of struggle, that you may conquer, and know both your own
weakness and your strength. Each day will bring only temptation and power sufficient
to overcome you; and, as it is said, temptations, with deliverances distinct
from them, are of much avail.' The anointing of the Holy One is given to
believers for just this purpose
To Elizabeth Briggs
ATHLONE, April 14, 1771.
MY DEAR BETSY,-- You may be sure that I am
always very glad to hear from you, and that I shall never think that your
letters are too long. Always tell me all that is in your heart, and the more
freely the better. Otherwise, it would hardly be possible to give you the
advice you would like from time to time. As soon as you had put on your armor,
it was fitting that you should be tested; so God has prepared for you the
occasions of struggle, that you may conquer, and know both your own weakness
and your strength. Each day will bring only temptation and power sufficient to
overcome you; and, as it is said, temptations, with deliverances distinct from
them, are of much profit.' The anointing of the Holy One is given to believers
for just this purpose—that they may distinguish (what would otherwise be
impossible) between sin and temptation. And this you will do, not as a general
rule, but by listening to Him on all particular occasions, and consulting those
who have experience in the ways of God. No doubt both you, Philothea, and my
dear Miss Perronet. Perronet are now more called to speak for God. In doing so,
you should expect to find many things that are not pleasing to flesh and blood.
But that is all right. How much more will you conform to the death of Christ.
Go in His name and in the power of His power. Suffer and conquer all things.
--I am, my dear Betsy,
With affection. [27]
I'm glad you finally broke
those evil reasonings
I am glad that you have
finally broken those evil reasonings that have so long repressed you and prevented
you from recognizing the things that have been freely granted you by God.
Always remember that the essence of Christian holiness is simplicity and
purity; one design, one desire—total devotion to God
To Miss March
ATHLONE, April 14, 1771.
What comes of you pleases me; Your letters
always give me pleasure, but none more so than the last, which brings the
welcome tidings of the revival of God's work among you. You will encourage
me--T--[Miss Thornton, of London, an intimate friend of John Fletcher. See
Bulmer's Memoirs of Mrs. Elizabeth Mortimer, p. 115; and letters of July 6,
1770, and December 18, 1780.] to send me a circumstantial account of God's
dealings with his soul. Mr. Norris observes that no part of history is so
profitable as that which relates to great changes in states and kingdoms; and
it is certain that no part of Christian history is so profitable as that which
relates to great changes made in our souls: these, therefore, should be
carefully observed and valued for the encouragement of our brethren.
It takes God (as it were) an abundance of
pains to hide man's pride; and you are in more danger of it than many, if only
for outward advantages. You are happy if you use these for that one end, to be
devoted to God within and without, and that more than it might be under other
circumstances. I have just conversed with that excellent woman, Molly Penington
[See letter of May 30.]: what a mystery that one of such gifts and of so much
grace should be fixed in a place where it is almost useless! How much more thankful
you may be to have the opportunity of employing every talent God has given you.
If you would keep the talent of health, go to bed early and rise early. [28]
Let me help you in your joy
To Ann Bolton
TULLAMORE, April 15, 1771.
MY DEAR SISTER,-- You are a little cruel. Why
do you not send me, as I would like, a private account of everything that
concerns you Where you are How you are in soul and body. You stand firm in that
glorious freedom with which Christ has set you free He has smitten the devil
reasoning under your feet and taught you simply to cling to Him You are not
ashamed to confess it before men You are bold, are you active in His cause?
Where have you been, and what have you done since you left that beautiful family
in Shoreham [The Perronets]. See letter of March 30 to Damaris Perronet] You
really loved me a little. Do you still think of me sometimes? If so, do not
delay in writing. Let me help in your joy. And I ask you to take care of your
health. In this sense I am often jealous of you. I think you will never neglect
your soul; but I fear you will not neglect your body. And you don't know how
much any pain that happens to you causes, my dear Nancy,
His brother always affectionate. [29]
So expect to see greater
things than these, for there is no end to goodness
Do you not feel anger at
any time, nor pride, nor will, but that which is subordinate to the will of
God? And have you testimony in yourself that all your ways please Him? Then
expect to see greater things than these, for there is no end to goodness
For Ms. Pywell
KILKENNY, April 23, 1771.
MY DEAR SISTER,-- I hardly knew whether you
were alive or dead, without hearing from you for so long. Yesterday I received
yours of March 28, and I am glad to know that you have not departed from your
steadfastness. It is certainly not our Lord's will that you should be so; Your
gifts are without repentance. Do you not find decay in faith? Do you see as
clearly as ever the One who is invisible? Is your hope as alive as it was in
the beginning? Do you still get a taste of the powers of the world to come? And
you can say, with the same force as ever,
I lack nothing below, above,
Happy in the love of a Savior
Your affectionate brother. [30]
So far God has helped you
I was very desirous to know
how her soul prospered. I could not doubt that the god of this world, the enemy
of all righteousness, would use every means to turn her away from her
steadfastness. Blessed be God, you are not moved! That all your labor has been
in vain! Hitherto God has helped you; and, fear not, He will help you to the
end.
To Ann Bolton
BANDON, May 2, 1771.
MY DEAREST SISTER,-- I was very much
wondering how your soul prospered. I could not doubt that the god of this
world, the enemy of all righteousness, would use every means to turn you away
from her steadfastness. Blessed be God, you are not moved! That all your labors
have been in vain! So far God has helped you; and, fear not, He will help you
to the end. He gives you life as a symbol of good; He can trust you while you
give Him your heart. And oh, stand firm in the glorious freedom with which He
has set you free! You are not called to desire suffering. Innocent nature
avoids pain; only, as soon as His will appears, yours is to sink before it.
Listen! what He says to you now: Love me more than these, more than these,--
Wealth, honor, pleasure, or whatever else
This short, enduring world can give
So feed My lambs, carry the little ones in
your breast, gently guide those who are generous with chicks.
Do not worry about the well-done; at the
right time you will reap if you do not faint, etc. etc.
With all the affection. [31]
But let them come for you
like bees, they will be extinguished like the fire among the thorns
And so I love to hear from
you, especially at this critical time, when all the powers of hell are against
you. But let them come for you like bees, they will be extinguished like fire
among thorns
To Philothea Briggs
BANDON, May 2, 1771.
MY DEAR PHILLY,--There is no fear that I
should forget you; I love you too much for that, and so I love to hear from
you, especially at this critical time, when all the powers of hell are against
you. But let them come for you like bees, they will be extinguished like the
fire among thorns. Tempted you are, and you will be; otherwise you could not
know your own weakness and your Master's strength. But all temptations will
work together for good; all are for your benefit, that you may be a part of His
holiness. You may always have an evidence of God's love for you as of yours for
Him. And sometimes the former may be clearer, at others the latter. It is
enough if, in one case or another, you will simply remain your soul upon Him.
Sister Harper is the common experience of those who are renewed in love.
[Charles Wesley met Mrs. Harper at Mr. Sims's house on July 2, 1738; and as
they sang, Who for me, for me hath died,, she burst into tears and cries,
"I believe, I believe!" and stooped down. She went on, and increased
the assurance of faith, full of peace, joy, and love. Wesley published an
extract from his Journal in 1769. see c. Wesley's Journal, i. 115.] Sister
Jackson's experience [See letter of March 26, 1770.] is quite extraordinary,
and very few of them have attained it so far.
There is danger that every believer will
mistake the voice of the enemy or of his own imagination for the voice of God.
And you can distinguish the one from the other, not by any written rule, but
only by the anointing of the Holy One. This only teaches Christian prudence,
consistent with simplicity and godly sincerity.
The four volumes of Sermons, the Appeals, the
Notes, and the Excerpts from the Works of Mr. Law and Dr. Young may be the best
for you now: do not touch anything that does not suit your present temperament.
When you feel you are being led to this, write verses; do not bury your talent
in the earth. Meet with those who meet on a Friday, and speak in the name of
God without fear or shame.
The general rule, not to correspond but with
those who have both grace and understanding, admits of several exceptions, in
favor of some who want one of them, the other, or both. [See letter of May 28.]
While I am in Ireland, you may direct me to Dublin. Do not be afraid to write
letters too long. The longer, the more pleasant, my dear Philadelphia,
With affection.
To Miss Phil. Briggs, at Miss March's house,
Worship Street, Moorfields, London. [32]
If Satan wanted you to sift you like wheat,
that is also for your benefit
Strife and various
exercises of the soul are permitted; These are also for good. If Satan willed
that you sift you like wheat, that is also for your benefit; You will be
cleansed in the fire, not consumed, and strengthened in all long patience with
joy
For Mrs. Marston
CORK, May 6, 1771.
MY DEAR SISTER,-- I am always glad to hear
from you, and I hope to hear only good things. Conflicts and various exercises
of the soul are permitted; these are also for good. If Satan willed that you
sift you like wheat, that is also for your benefit; you will be purified in the
fire, not consumed, and strengthened in all long patience with joy. Mr. Clough
[James Clough was then posted on the Staffordshire Circuit. He began to travel
in 1760, and after ten or twelve years settled in Leicester, where he died about
1795.] or any other preacher who speaks against perfection, or gives them
occasions that trouble you. It would do well to speak to those who do, that you
may come to a better understanding. As for you lie, let not the good that is in
you be spoken of. But beware lest the cruel use of your brethren betray them to
any kind of cunning or false prudence. Still, let all the conversation be in
divine simplicity and sincerity. Be direct, open, direct, undisguised. Do you
always see God and feel His love? You pray without ceasing and in everything
you give thanks. I hope you will not forget to pray for, my dear Molly,
Your affectionate brother. [33]
This is the very purpose of
that anointing we have from God
From time to time you must
encounter many difficulties and perplexities which none but God can dispel. But
can He solve them? That is enough. Then He certainly will. This is the very
purpose of that anointing which we have of God
For Ms. Bennis
LIMERICK, May 15, 1771.
MY DEAR SISTER,--Whenever there is a
dependence, though often secret and unobserved, on something external, it is
the mercy of God that disappoints us of our hope, so that we may be more
sensibly convinced: Neither he who plants anything, nor who waters, but God who
gives the growth.'
From time to time you must meet with many
difficulties and perplexities which none but God can dispel. But can He solve
them? That is enough. Then He certainly will. This is the very purpose of that
anointing which we have of God. It is to teach us, of all things, to clear up a
thousand doubts and perplexities which no human wisdom could make. This was
given to you in the case of your child; and when it came, the temptation spoke
not again. This is never more necessary than in relation to anger; for there is
an anger that is not sinful, a disgust for sin which is often accompanied by
much agitation of the animal spirits: and I doubt that we can distinguish this
from sinful wrath but by that light from heaven.
I very much hope that John Christian will do
well: in these two years he has improved a lot.
If our sisters miss you the most, there is
only one way—you must go or go after them. Do not be idle; nor give in to
voluntary humility. You were not sent to Waterford for nothing, but to
strengthen what remains.'
It would be strange if I went a day without
praying for you. Then at least we can reach each other; and there can be a
still growing union between you and you.
Your affectionate brother. [34]
If you feel good to write something
about the Methodists, I urge you first to learn who they are and what they are
If you think it good to
write something about the Methodists, I ask you first to learn who they are and
what they are. Be so kind as to at least read my Diaries and the Appeals to Men
of Reason and Religion. Then you will no longer 'run' and so 'uncertainly', or
'fight like one who conquers the air'.
To George L. Fleury
LIMERICK, May 18, 1771.
REVEREND LORD,--1. In June, 1769, I spent two
or three days at Waterford. As soon as I turned my back, you attacked me
bravely, I suppose both in the morning and in the afternoon. On learning, when
I was there two or three weeks ago, that you granted me the same favor, I
waited for you in the cathedral on Sunday, April 28. You kept your word: you
drew your sword, and in practice threw away the scabbard. You made a furious
attack on a large company of people, of whom you knew nothing. Blind and bold,
you lay around you without fear or intelligence, without any regard for truth,
justice, or mercy. And so you received morning and evening a large congregation
that came to hear the words of eternal life.'
2. Without rest, I asked Mr. Bourke to attend
to it the next morning. He proposed that we write to each other. You said: No;
if anything can be said against my sermons, I hope it will be printed: that it
be done publicly, not privately.' I did not wish it; I much preferred it that
it had been done privately. But, since you want it, I submit.
3. Your text was, I know this, that after my
departure grave wolves shall enter in among you, not sparing the flock. Also,
of yourselves, men shall rise up, speaking perverse things, to drive away
disciples after them.' (Acts xx. 29-30.) Having shown that St. Paul foresaw
these false teachers, you undertake to show, (1) the evils they caused; (2)
their character, and how this concerns a group of men called Methodists. (First
Sermon, pp. 1-4) (...).
21. If you think it good to write something
about the Methodists, I ask you first to learn who they are and what they are.
Be so kind as to at least read my Diaries and the Appeals to Men of Reason and
Religion. Then you will no longer 'run' and so 'uncertainly', or 'fight like
one who conquers the air'. But I would rather hope that you do not fight at
all. For whom would you fight? If you want to fight, it must be with your
friends; for this we really are. We wish you all the same happiness that we wish
for our own souls. We wish nothing worse for you than that you may 'present
yourself' as 'a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God'; that you may watch
over the souls entrusted to your responsibility as he 'that must give an
account'; and that in the end thou shalt receive 'the crown which the Lord, the
righteous Judge, shall give unto all that love His appearing!'--Then I pray,
reverend sir, thy affectionate brother. [35]
But, in any case, I did my
duty
But, be that as it may, I
have done my duty; I could not have given up my own soul otherwise. And no
offence would have been caused if pride had not stifled both religion and
generosity
To Maria Bishop
GALWAY, May 27. 1771.
MY DEAR SISTER,-- Perhaps we shall see a new
fulfillment of Solomon's words: 'He that rebuketh a man afterwards shall find
more favor than he that flattereth with his tongue. But, be that as it may, I
have done my duty; I could not have given up my own soul otherwise. And no
offence would have been caused if pride had not stifled both religion and
generosity. [See letter of 8 March.] But the letter is now out of date; it is
no longer mentioned: there is a more plausible occasion found—namely, those
eight terrible propositions which conclude the minutes of our Conference. [The
Minutes of 1770, which gave Fletcher the opportunity of writing his Cheques to
Antinomianism.] At the request of some who were sadly frightened, I have
reviewed this information again and again; I have considered them from every
point of view; and truly, the more I consider them, the more I like them, the
more fully am I convinced, not only that they are true, pleasing both to the
Scriptures and to sound experience, but that they contain truths of the utmost
importance, and such as must be continually instilled by those who would be
pure from the blood of all men.
Joseph Benson is a good man, and a good
preacher. But he is by no means clear in his judgment. The imagination which he
borrowed from another good man, 'that he is not a believer who has yet sinned
in himself,' is not only a mistake, but a very dangerous one, of which I have
seen fatal effects. Here we parted ways with the Germans nearly thirty years
ago; and the falsehood and absurdity of it are shown in the Second Diary, and
in my sermon on this subject. [The Lord our Righteousness. See Works, v.
234-46.]
Your experience reminds me of these phrases:
So many tender joys and sorrows
May it have power over my trembling soul!
The simple life with growing passions has
emerged,
The vantage or burden of an hour. [Gambold,
in Poetical Works of J. and C. Wesley, i. 8.]
Those who feel less, certainly suffer less;
but the more we suffer, the more we can improve; the more obedience, the more
holiness, we can learn from the things we suffer. So, on the whole, I don't
know whether the insensible have an advantage over us.
If you wrote more than once in three months,
you would not be wrong. Few care about you as tenderly as my dear Miss Bishop.
Bishop,
Your affectionate brother.
P.S.--You need only go directly to Dr. C--
For Miss Bishop. Bishop, near Lady Huntingdon Chapel, Bath. [36]
God's grace can totally
subdue the most stubborn nature
To
Philothea Briggs
GALWAY,
May 28, 1771.
MY DEAR PHILLY,-- Your concern is for the
present moment; Your business is to live today. In every way, let tomorrow
think for itself. It is true that the full assurance of hope excludes all doubt
about our ultimate salvation; but it does not and cannot continue any longer
than we walk closely with God. And it includes no assurance about our future
behavior; nor do I know of any word in the whole Bible that gives us authority
to seek a testimony of this kind. But to some extent you can go to the present
moment,--
I want the witness, Lord,
That everything I do is right,
According to Thy will and word,
Very pleasing in Your sight.
Earnestly and firmly, my dear maid, take aim
at this, and you will not be disappointed in your hope.
As to the impression you mention, I doubt
whether it is not a temptation of the enemy. It may cause many bad tempers; it
may feed both pride and uncharity. And the Bible gives us no authority to think
evil of any except by simple, undeniable, and explicit acts.
In Thoughts on a Single Life [published in
1765. See Works, xi. 456-63.] You have what has been my deliberate judgment for
many years. I have not yet seen any reason to alter it, though I have heard
many objections. I do not know whether your particular case [See letter of May
2 to her.] is an exception to the general rule. It is true that your temper is
at once lively and unstable, and your passions are naturally strong. But this
is not much: the grace of God can utterly subdue the most stubborn nature. So
far, then, you can certainly go. Now you can devote yourself to the soul and
body of God in its present state, and resolve never to change it—without strong
and urgent reasons. From the weight of these motives, not yourself, but your
more spiritual friends must judge.
To Mr. Tho. Freemason, shopkeeper, in
Limerick. [37]
It will be very pleasing to
God
Yes, and some of your
sisters would blame you, and perhaps apply the same interpretation to it.
However, if you do it with a single eye, it will be very pleasing to God.
To Elizabeth Briggs
CASTLEBAR, May 31, 1771.
MY DEAR BETSY,-- You rightly judge: you are
still only a child, but a babe in the pure love of Christ. As a child, hold on
to it, and simply expect a supply of all your desires. In this respect,
reasoning is of no benefit; in fact, it is the very opposite of believing, that
you hear the inner voice, which says, 'Open your mouth wide, and I will fill
it.' No doubt it would be a cross for you to declare what God has done for your
soul; no, and afterwards Satan would accuse you for it, saying, 'You did it out
of pride.' Yes, and some of your sisters would blame you, and perhaps apply the
same interpretation to it. However, if you do it with one eye, it will be well
pleasing to God.
Your letters will always be pleasing to, my
dear Betsy,
With affection. [38]
It's so far from being sin
in itself
This anger at sin,
accompanied by love and compassion for the sinner, is so far from being sin in
itself, that it is rather a duty
To Miss March
CASTLEBAR, May 31, 1771.
God's dealings with man are infinitely varied,
and cannot be confined to any general rule; in both justification and
sanctification, he often acts in a way which we cannot explain.
There can be no more fitting phrase than that
which you have used, and I well understand its meaning; yet it is certain that
you are still a transgressor—that is, of the perfect and Adamic law. But while
it is true that all sin is a transgression of this law, it is by no means true
(though we have so often taken it for granted) that all transgressions of this
law are sin: no, not at all—only all voluntary transgressions of it; no other
is sin against the gospel law.
Though we have 'the lasting impression of
faith, perceiving what is to come'; yet, while we are in the body, we have only
an imperfect and gloomy knowledge of the things of eternity. For we now only
see them in a glass, a mirror, which gives us nothing but a shadow of them;
therefore we see them darkly, or in a riddle, while St. Paul speaks. The whole
unseen world is still a riddle to us; and it seems to be in this sense that
some writers speak so much of the night or darkness of faith—that is, when opposed
to vision; that is, of the vision of the things which we shall have when the
veil of flesh and blood is removed.
These reasonings about the measure of
holiness (a curious question, not very useful) are not inconsistent with pure
love, but tend to diminish it; and if you pursued them far, they would lead you
to unbelief.
What you feel is certainly a degree of anger,
but not of sinful anger. There must be in us (as there was in our Lord) not
only a perception in the understanding that this or that is evil, but also an
emotion of the mind, a sensation or passion suited to it. This anger at sin,
accompanied with love and compassion for the sinner, is so far from being sin
in itself, that it is rather a duty. St. Paul's word is, 'not easily provoked'
to any paroxysm of anger: neither do you; yet I suppose there is in you, when you
feel a proper anger at sin, a hasty movement of the blood and spirits, which is
an imperfection, and will be done away with. [39]
Also to suffer with Him, to
drink a little of the cup from which He drank
Woman, remember faith! It
is given to you to believe in the name of the Son of God! No, and also to
suffer with Him, to drink a little of the cup from which He drank. O care, let
not be weary or dizzy in your mind! See what blessings are in store for you
To Ann Bolton
ROOSKY,
June 8, 1771.
Woman, remember faith! It is given to you to
believe in the name of the Son of God! No, and also to suffer with Him, to
drink a little of the cup from which He drank. O care, do not be weary or dizzy
in your mind! See what blessings are in store for you. What if God saw good in
allowing Satan to sift you like wheat for a little while? Still, you have a
friend before the throne above; and He prayed for you that your faith would not
fail. You will lose nothing in the furnace but your filth; You will be cleansed,
not consumed. I cannot tell you how close you have been to me since you learned
of your present visit. And why should you not expect Him who loves you a
thousand times more than I do to heal soul and body together? Look for Him! He
is not far from the truth! Come, Lord Jesus! Come quickly.--I am
Your affectionate brother.
For Duncan Wright
LONDONDERRY, June 11, 1771.
DEAR DUNCAN,-- You should speak out broadly
and vehemently against antinomianism in all its branches. And you would do
well, when the occasion comes, to read to any congregation and enforce the law
the three sermons on the Law. [See Works, v.
433-66.] Let us be open and direct both in public and private, and that will be
what will be the best success.
God's work will never stand still for want of
money, as long as He has the hearts of all men in His hands. All of you should
make your best effort for the Annual Subscription. Scotland, especially, has
taken advantage of this.
I would not advise our brother Hamilton to go
out of business. It is a talent that God has entrusted to him. But it would be
wise to hire him, so that he would have more free time for business of greater
importance. See that you strongly and explicitly exhort believers to go forward
to perfection--I am, dear Duncan,
Your affectionate friend and brother.
To Mr. Duncan Wright, Edinburgh. [40]
The work of God, called
Methodism, is an extraordinary dispensation from His providence
It is clear to me that the
whole work of God, called Methodism, is an extraordinary dispensation from His
providence. Therefore I do not wonder whether several things occur there which
do not fall under the ordinary rules of discipline.
To Mary Bosanquet
LONDONDERRY, June 13, 1771.
MY DEAR SISTER,--I think the strength of the
cause is there—in its extraordinary connection. I am convinced that all our lay
preachers; otherwise I could not tolerate their preaching at all. It is clear
to me that the whole work of God, called Methodism, is an extraordinary
dispensation from His providence. Therefore I do not wonder whether several
things occur there which do not fall under the ordinary rules of discipline.
St. Paul's common rule was, 'I do not permit a woman to speak in the
congregation.' However, in extraordinary cases he made some exceptions; in
Corinth, in particular.--I am, my dear sister,
Your affectionate brother. [41]
And all they say most about
you is your cross
It is not improbable that
he can then see things more clearly; but if he does not, you will have given up
your own soul. And all that is said of you more is your cross. Hold on, and it
will bear you
For Ms. Crosby
LONDONDERRY, June 13, 1771.
MY DEAR SISTER,-- To read a chapter or part
of a chapter, and to make little remarks may be as useful as any form of
speaking. I doubt whether, at that time, it would have been advisable for you
to go to Huddersfield. But that is past. All you can do now (if you have not
already) is to write fondly to Mr. A-- [John Atlay was stationed at Birstall.]
and simply inform him of those facts of which he was misinformed before. It is
not improbable that he may then see things more clearly; but if he does not, you
will have given up your own soul. And all that is said more of you is your
cross. Hold on, and it will bear with you.--I am, my dear sister,
Your
affectionate brother. [42]
But just look to the One
who loves you
Happy are those who do His
will, and still happier are those who suffer it. But whatever they suffer, do
not discard that confidence which brings great reward in reward. To keep it, do
not reason, but only look to Him who loves you
To Ann Bolton
LONDON, [Wesley was in Londonderry when he
wrote this and the next letter. See the Journal, v. 419n.] June 15, 1771.
MY DEAREST SISTER,-- A letter from you is
always welcome; but never more so than now, for this is the time when it seems
good to our Lord to judge you as by fire. Fear nothing; only believe. He is
with you in the fire so that the flames will not kindle upon you. O how you
will praise Him for His wise and gracious visit! He is purging all your
rubbish, that you may be a vessel for the Master's use. Happy are those who do
His will, and even happier are those who suffer it. But whatever they suffer,
do not discard that confidence which brings great reward in reward. To keep it,
reason not, but only look to Him who loves you. Tell Him, as a child, all that
you want. Look up, and your suit is ready: He hears the cry of your heart. And
tell all that troubles you to
With affection. [43]
God is more or less pleased
with us, according to all our inward and outward behavior
But the latter contains a
truth of the utmost importance, and which cannot be too much inculcated. Every
hour, God is more or less pleased with us, according to all our inward and
outward behaviour
For Various Preachers and Friends
DUBLIN, July 10, 1771.
DEAR SIR,-- You give my additional thoughts
on the propositions which close the minutes of our last Conference.
'We have leaned too much towards Calvinism.'
'1. As to man's faithfulness. Our Lord
Himself has taught us to use this expression; and we must never be ashamed of
it. We must firmly affirm, by His authority, that if a man is not faithful to
the unjust papaya, God will not give him the true riches.'
I think there is nothing more to be said
about it, for it is grounded in the expression of God's Word.
'2. About working for life. This also
expressly commanded us. 'To work' (literally work) 'for the flesh which
endureth unto eternal life.' And, indeed, every believer works both for life
and for life.'
'Every believer': only the proposition
speaks, and who can doubt it
3. We receive it as a maxim that "a man
shall do nothing to justify." Nothing can be more false. He who desires to
find God's favor must "cease evil and learn to do good." He who
repents must "do works worthy of repentance." And if this is not to
gain favor, why does he do it?
And who can deny a line of that if he allows
the Bible to be true.
So far, then, there is no reason for this
wonderful outcry. Here there is no heresy, but words of truth and sobriety.
'Review the whole case.
'1. Who of us is now accepted of God' (I
mean, who is now in His favor The question does not refer to winning God's
favor, but to being in it, at any particular time.) 'He who now believes in
Christ with a loving and obedient heart.'
Well, and who can deny that Who can find any
fault either in feeling or expression
'2. But who among those who have never heard
of Christ, He "fears God and works righteousness" according to the
light He has.' St. Peter's own words [Acts x. 34-5.]: 'From a truth I perceive
that God does not respect persons; but in every nation he who fears God and
works righteousness is accepted with Him' (dektos autw esti), is in a state of
acceptance.
Who can, refute it.
'3. Is it the same with one who is sincere?
Almost, if not entirely.'
I think so. But I argue that there is no
word. You can accept it or leave it.
'4. Is not this salvation by works? Not by
the merit of works, but by works as a condition.'
By salvation I mean here final salvation. And
who can deny that both inward good works (loving God and neighbor) and outward
good works (keeping His commandments) are a condition of it? What is this more
or less than 'Without holiness no man shall see the Lord'?
'5. What we have discussed, then, about these
thirty years, I fear of words.' That is, so far as we have discussed (as I have
done with Dr. Church) whether works are a condition of salvation—yea, or of
justification, suppose you accept that term as our Lord (Matt. xii. 37), where
(speaking of the Last Day) He says, 'By thy words thou shalt be justified.'
With justification as signifying our first acceptance with God, this
proposition has nothing to do.
It is true that, thirty years ago, I was very
angry with Bishop Bull, that great light of the Christian Church, because in
his Apostolic Harmonica he distinguishes our former from our final
justification, and asserts that both internal and external good works are a
condition of the latter, though not of the former.
'6. As to merit itself, of which we fear so
much, we are rewarded according to our works—yes, because of our works. How
does it differ from for the sake of our works? And how does it differ from
secundum merita operum, as our works deserve? Can you break down this detail? I
doubt you cannot.'
I follow the truth; and wherever I find it, I
not only embrace it, but assume it before the sun. If any one shows me that
this is not true, I will withdraw it. But let us consider part by part. (1) 'We
were terribly afraid of the word merit.' No one can deny this. (2) 'We are
rewarded (on the Last Day) according to our works.' This also cannot be denied.
(3) 'Yes, because of our works.' See Abraham, the great standard of believers:
'Because thou hast done this, . . . in blessing I will bless thee' (Gen. xxii.
16-17). (4) 'How does this differ from secundum merita operum, as our works
deserve?' I say again, I cannot parade this detail. Whoever can has my license
free. And then let him break his throat crying, 'Oh terrible heresy!'
'7. The great objection to one of the
foregoing propositions is based on facts. God does indeed justify those who, by
their own confession, neither feared God nor exercised justice. Is this not an
exception to the general rule? It is a doubt whether God makes any exception.'
But I think I would prefer to answer: We are
moving away from our question, which is not how we win, but how to maintain
God's favor.
'8. Does not speak of a justified or
sanctified state tend to deceive men, leading them almost naturally to trust in
what has been done in a moment? While every hour and every moment we please or
displease God according to our works, according to all our inward temper and
our outward behaviour.'
Perhaps the first part of this sentence is a
little too strong. Instead of almost naturally, I should say too often. But the
latter contains a truth of the utmost importance, and which cannot be too
instilled. Every hour God is more or less pleased with us, according to all our
inward and outward behaviour.
If any sincere one wishes, I am ready to
explain myself more fully on any of the preceding points. "I am
His affectionate servant. [44]
Every hour of mine is
constantly and fully employed
In my youth, it is almost
natural to write verses, especially in leisure time. But I have no free time;
Every hour of mine is constantly and fully employed
To Philothea Briggs
DUBLIN, July 13, 1771,
MY DEAR PHILLY,-- Truth and falsehood, and so
right and wrong temperaments, are often divided by an almost imperceptible
line. It is more difficult to distinguish right and wrong temperaments or
passions, because in several cases the same movement of the blood and animal
spirits accompanies both the one and the other. Therefore, in many cases, we
cannot distinguish them except by the anointing of the Holy One. In the case
you have mentioned, all self-indulgence or self-approval is not pride. Surely
there may be self-approval which is not a sin, though it must provoke a certain
degree of pleasure. 'This is our joy, even the testimony of our conscience
toward God.' And this joy is neither better nor worse because it is accompanied
by a natural movement of the blood and spirits. Equally natural and innocent is
the joy we receive from being approved by those we love. But in all these cases
there is need of the utmost care, lest we slip from innocent joy or
self-approval to that which is not innocent, to pride (thinking of ourselves
more than we ought), or vanity, a desire for praise; for 'thin partitions
divide their bounds.' [Absalom and Achitophel de Dryden, i. 163: 'Great sagaços
are almost allied to folly, And thin partitions divide their bounds.']
Sure, it's been many days
I sent my poetic flock to pasture. [Prior's Erle Robert's Mice:
'Certes, I have many days Sent my poetic flock to graze.']
In my youth, it is almost natural to write
verses, especially in leisure time. But I have no free time; every hour of mine
is constantly and fully employed.
You have no
reason to start any quarrel with your young acquaintance. If she starts with
you, say little, until you have her Calm Thought and ask her to read it calmly
and earnestly. This book is as confused a mixture as I have seldom seen, and is
full of antinomianism (like all the writings of Mr. Romaine [see Wesley, ii.
534.]). I advise you to think and talk as little as possible about it. Here and
there he is mistaken in the truth, as in the sentence she quoted.
I do not remember anything in particular
about the sealing of that letter. In about ten days, I hope to embark for
England. Be serious! and always speak without reservation with, my dear
Philadelphia,
With
affection.
To Miss
Philly Briggs, at Mr. Barker's house, in Sevenoaks, Kent. [45]
Our job now is to love and obey
I am content to understand very little while I am
in the body. What He does, I do not know now; it is enough for me to know from
now on. Our work now is to love and obey; Knowledge is reserved for eternity
For Ms.
Bennis
DUBLIN,
July 20, 1771.
MY DEAR SISTER,-- I am very glad to hear so
good an account of John the Christian. If I were resolved to understand all of
God's dispensations, I should embrace his opinion; because, in a way, it
explains some things which otherwise would not be responsible. But this I did
not expect; I am satisfied to understand very little while I am in the body.
What He does, I do not know now; it is enough that I should hereafter know. Our
work now is to love and obey; Knowledge is reserved for eternity. My main objection
to Milton's doctrine of Election is that I cannot reconcile it with the words
of St. Peter, which manifestly refer to the eternal state of men: 'God has no
respect to persons.' Now, how
can we afford this, if we believe that He places one man, as it were, suspended
between heaven and hell, while He fixes another, before he is born, under an
absolute impossibility of losing heaven
I am very
glad you see some reason to hope well for Mr. Thompson. Speak carefully to him.
He has a strong and cultivated understanding, and would be a brilliant
Christian. If he continues serious, he will not be satisfied with his former
company; they will be tasteless, or rather irritating.
It is not
important whether this or that sickness or defect is consistent with this or
that gift of God. Without reasoning about it, it is your role simply to spread
all your desires before the One who loves you; and He will supply them
generously!
His brother
always affectionate. [46]
I understand myself
If Calvinists don't understand me or don't want to
understand me, I understand myself. And I don't contradict anything I've
written in these thirty years
To Maria
Bishop
DUBLIN,
July 20, 1771.
MY DEAR
SISTER,--To your own satisfaction, I send you this [See letter of July 10.];
but I would like you not to show it before the Conference. If the Calvinists do
not understand me or do not want to understand me, I understand myself. And I
do not contradict anything I have written in these thirty years. You understand
me well, and express more fully exactly what I mean. I do not know that any one
could express it more fairly in so many words. Poor Mr. Shirley's triumph will
be brief. Peace be upon your spirit--My dear sister, farewell!
To Miss
Bishop. Bishop, near Lady Huntingdon Chapel, Bath. [47]
It is desirable to glorify God
Take more of His fullness, so that you may love Him
more, praise Him more, and serve Him better. It is desirable to glorify God
To Miss
March
KINGSWOOD,
August 3, 1771.
How wise
are all the ways of God! And though in many cases they have not already been
discovered, yet we can discern the designs of His providence.
The
Appendix to Philosophy [The third volume of A Compendium of Natural Philosophy
forms an Appendix to the various sections of the preceding volumes. See Green's
Bibliography, No. 265; and by Hymns to the Trinity (1767), No. 246.] and I hope
the Hymns of the Trinity will calm you down on this important point. It is a
striking comment of Bishop Browne's that we are not bound to 'believe in any
mystery' on the subject. The mystery is not in the fact of 'These Three are
One,' but rather in the way in which it is explained how they are one. But with
this I have nothing to do. I believe the fact. As to the manner (where all the
mystery lies), I believe nothing about it. The peculiar feature of calling them
three offices instead of persons abandons the whole doctrine.
There is
scarcely a coextensive word like 'wisdom.' It frequently means the whole
religion. And, indeed, no one can be said to be wholly wise until he is
thoroughly Christian. To devote all our thoughts and actions to God, this is
our highest wisdom; and in so far as we go astray within or without, we walk as
fools, not as wise men. To be wholly devoted to the Lord, even those who are
renewed in love still need the anointing of the Holy One, to teach them in all
circumstances the most excellent way, and so that they may observe and pray
that they may walk continually in it. It seems that my time for writing on this
or other subjects has passed; I am only willing to add a word now and then, if
Providence so requires.
People, in
a sense, are freed from unbelief when they are always enabled to believe, when
they have 'the lasting impression of faith, perceiving what is to come.' For
then they can no longer be called unbelievers. When this is given in a very
glorious manner, so that they are full of faith and cannot doubt for a moment,
it is natural for them to say 'they are saved from all unbelief.' The soul that
is all light (as Lopez, when he said, 'It is all noon now') can say, 'I am
saved from all darkness.' And is not this the Lord's will upon you? Surely it
is. Fear not then; Reason of the contrary: Just look up. Is He not near, even
at the door He is near that justifies; He is near to sanctify; He is almost
supplying all your needs! Take more of His fullness, that you may love Him
more, praise Him more, and serve Him better. It is desirable to glorify God,
like Mr. De Renty or Haliburton, both in death and in life. I am sorry for poor
Miss H[artly]. [See letters of January 24 and August 14 to Hannah Ball.] It is a
mysterious providence. [48]
Therefore,
for your mother's sake, I will alter my project
I intended for you to go to a circuit further
afield, where I believe you would have been extremely useful. But we can hardly
show enough tenderness to an elderly father. So, for your mother's sake, I will
alter my design and name it for the Derbyshire Circuit, which you know borders
on Manchester's.
To Samuel
Bardsley
BRISTOL,
August 5, 1771.
DEAR
SAMMY,-- I intended for you to go to a circuit further afield, where I believe
you would have been extremely useful. But we can hardly show enough tenderness
to an elderly father. Therefore, for your mother's sake, I will alter my design
and name you for the Derbyshire Circuit, which you know borders on Manchester.
Be careful
to walk closely with God and exhort others to do so. Be instant in season and
out of season. Encourage everyone to expect salvation now-- I am
Your
affectionate brother.
To Mr.
Samuel Bardsley, at Mr. James Walker's house, Sheffield.
To John
Hallam, at Donnington Castle. [49]
The main point is to keep what we receive
For Hannah
Ball
BRECKNOCK,
August 14, 1771.
MY DEAREST
SISTER,-- I am glad that you remain in Wycombe. That is undoubtedly your place:
you have there a great field of action to exercise all the grace and gifts that
God has given you. See that you may be zealous for God. Redeem time, and in due
time you will reap if you do not faint.
Your
affectionate brother.
To Miss
Phil. Phil. Briggs, at Shoreham, near Sevenoaks, Kent. [50]
You certainly need to observe at all
You certainly need to watch in everything;
otherwise, you would suffer loss. And you need to always be active and zealous
for God, forgetting yourself and simply following Him.
To Ann
Bolton
PEYBROKE,
August 25, 1771.
MY DEAR
SISTER,-- Now make me peace. Your affectionate letter has given me
indescribable satisfaction. I am glad you have been with Sister Iles. She is a
gem. Will she marry or not? I am also glad that you have better health; surely
He will not hold you back anything good! But I cannot express how glad I am
that your love has not grown cold. Perhaps our wise Lord sometimes makes this
love a balance against the temptations of which you speak. You must certainly
watch in everything; otherwise you would suffer loss. And you must always be
active and zealous for God, forgetting yourself and simply following Him. But
one warning I would give to my dear friend. Do not spend too much time at a
time in any company. An hour at a time is usually enough; and if we spend more,
it will be less useful. O how I long for patience to have its perfect work in
you, that you may be perfect in Him, and without anything! I forgive your past
delay on one condition only: that you write quickly again. Do not let your
works of mercy deprive you of time for private prayer; and do not fail to
remember especially then, my dear Nancy, Yours with affection. [51]
Do not delay the time to embrace all the great and
precious promises
O exhort all to whom they have access not to delay
the time of embracing all the great and precious promises! Tell frankly to all
who are simple in heart what He has done for their souls
For Ms.
Savage
BRISTOL,
August 31, 1771.
MY DEAR
SISTER,-- Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints! And I
believe that many of the blessings we receive are in answer to the prayers of
your last prayers. It is well that the great change should be wrought in a
soul, even a little before it leaves the body. But how much more desirable it
should be made much sooner, that we may glorify Him long with our body and with
our spirit! O exhort all to whom they have access not to delay the time of
embracing all the great and precious promises! Tell frankly to all who are
simple in heart what He has done for their soul; and then insist,
That not
every sinner will find
The grace
that found me
If Mr.
Fletcher will take time to visit you, he will certainly bring a blessing with
him. He is a man full of faith. Be free with Sister Brisco, [Her husband,
Thomas Brisco, was in Devonshire, but it was this Conference named for
Wiltshire North.] that brings it.--My dear sister, farewell! [52]
The antidote cannot spread as fast as the poison
But the antidote cannot spread
as fast as the poison. Yet the Lord reigns, and consequently all these things
will work together for the increase of His kingdom
To Maria Bishop
BRISTOL, September 1, 1771.
MY DEAR
SISTER,--I hope to see you in Bath on Tuesday, and to preach about six o'clock
in the afternoon. I choose to preach early so that I may have time to get
acquainted with the Society after I preach it.
Concessions
made in the chapel of Bath would not extinguish the flame kindled over the
three kingdoms. [As to the 1770 Minutes.] Mr. Fletcher's Letters may do this to
some extent; but the antidote cannot spread as fast as the poison. Yet the Lord
reigns, and consequently all these things will work together for the increase
of His kingdom.
Surely
simple faith is just what you desire, that faith which lives in Christ from
moment to moment. I believe that the sermon The Way of the Scriptures of
Salvation [See Works. vi. 43-54.] may be particularly helpful to you at this
time. It is a great thing to enjoy and improve the present. What a blessing you
may receive at this moment! Behold the Lamb of God--I am, dear Miss Bishop.
Bishop,
Your
affectionate brother.
Your
affectionate friend and brother. [53]
Your present weakness, I hope, will be an
unspeakable blessing
To
Philothea Briggs
KINGSWOOD,
September 13, 1771
MY DEAR
PHILLY,-- Your present weakness, I hope, will be an indescribable blessing. You
were in danger of having more candle than ballast, more vivacity of imagination
than solid wisdom. But it seems that God is correcting this defect and giving
you more stability of mind. [See the letters of July 13, 1771 and April 12,
1772 to her.] Now you see and feel what is the true value of this poor and
perishable world, and how little real happiness there is at all under the sun.
In the
meantime, you should use every possible means of recovery and confirmation of
your health. Taking a lot of medicine, indeed, is not a probable means: I would
by no means advise it. [See letter of October 6.] But what complaint have you?
I have always thought that you were in firm and vigorous health. Perhaps I can
point you to some little rules of common sense that will be useful to you. It
is right to pour out our whole soul before Him who cares for us. But it is also
good to open ourselves to a friend in whom we can trust. This is also an
appointed means which it is generally pleasing to God to bless. Whenever you
have, therefore, opportunity, tell all you feel to my dear Philly,
With
affection.
To Miss
Phil. Briggs, at Miss March's house. March,
On Worship
Street, Moorfields, London. [54]
I want to know how you're doing and what you're
doing
I want to know how you are doing and what you are
doing, as well as how God's work goes on in Witney and elsewhere. And how you
continue, Brother Jaquis and his wife
To Ann
Bolton
BRISTOL,
September 16, 1771.
Nancy,
Nancy! Why do you forget your friends? Why do you tempt me to get angry? I tell
you again, you will lose your job: I cannot be mad at you. You are wonderfully
slow to write. Come, I hope you will make me amends (if you are well) with a
long letter. I intend, God willing, to be at Wallingford on Monday, October
14th; at Witney on Wednesday and Thursday; at High Wycombe on Friday; and in
London on Saturday. Do not delay in writing. I want to know how you are and
what you are doing, as well as how God's work goes on in Witney and elsewhere.
And how they continue, Brother Jaquis and his wife
Peace
multiply upon you-- My dear Nancy, farewell! [55]
Hold on to Him with all your
heart
But don't discard the confidence that brings great
reward in reward. Hold on to Him with all your heart, and all will be well
For Ms.
Savage
BRISTOL,
September 19, 1771.
MY DEAREST
SISTER,-- A report has been spread of my coming to Broadmarston and several
other places; but I do not know what was the occasion of it. I am now expected
in the southern parts of the kingdom, and my course has been for several years
as fixed as that of the sun.
Mr. Ellis
is a steadfast, experienced man, and a competent preacher. Wherever he is, our
Lord's work prospers in his hands; and still more because he is a lover of
discipline, without which the best preaching is of little use. I advise you to
speak to him as freely as possible, and he will be profitable to your soul. His
late judgments were intended to give you a deeper sense of your poverty and
helplessness. But do not discard the confidence that brings great reward in
reward. Cling to Him with all your heart, and all will be well.--I am, my dear
sister, your affectionate brother. [56]
Do and suffer all the will of the one who calls you
Some of that, I trust you have. Watch and pray! Do
and suffer all the will of him who calls you; and He will supply what is needed
For Hannah
Ball
PORTSMOUTH,
October 4, 1771.
MY DEAR
SISTER,-- To be 'sealed by the Spirit' in the full sense of the word I
understand to imply two things: first, to receive the whole image of God, the
whole mind that was in Christ, just as the wax receives the whole impression of
the seal when it is applied strongly and properly; secondly, the full assurance
of hope, or a clear and abiding confidence of being with God in glory. Either
of these may be given (and sometimes is, though not often) separated from the
other. When both are united, I believe they constitute that seal of the Spirit.
But even this admits of various degrees. Some of this, I trust you have. Watch
and pray! Do and suffer all the will of him that calleth you; and He will
supply what is needed.--I am, my dear sister,
Your
affectionate brother. [57]
Restore your health
I congratulate you for not touching remedies except
some of those simple ones in Primitive Medicine. Perhaps youth, with abstinence
from tea and whatever you feel hurts you, can restore your health
To
Philothea Briggs
LONDON,
October 6, 1771.
MY DEAR
PHILLY,--I congratulate you for not touching medicines, [See letter of
September 13.] except some of those simple in Primitive Medicine. Perhaps
youth, with abstinence from tea and whatever you feel hurts you, can restore
your health. And while this continues, this weakness can be of excellent use in
turning you away from the love of present things.
The first
Appeal is a complete treatise of oneself, independent of the rest. This,
therefore, may be given to any one without the others, which makes the cost
easier. But to your friend you may give or lend them all. And if she has sense
enough to read them impartially, she will learn to speak and write
unambiguously, only according to common sense. You may say to her, 'If you were
doing these works, thinking you deserved salvation, you were thoroughly
mistaken. But if you were doing it because it is the appointed way to expect
free salvation, you were right.' But just send her Mr. Fletcher's Letters, and
they make the point clear enough.--I always care, dear Philly,
With
affection. [58]
You want me to think for you. That's not my design
It is not strange that one is seldom satisfied with
my letters; for I use few words, and should not be satisfied by many. You want
me to think for you. This is not my design
To Joseph
Benson
LONDON,
October 11, 1771.
DEAR
JOSEPH,-- Here, at this very point, is your error. You were as much of a
believer when you came to Kingswood as you are now. Thirty-five years later,
hearing that wise Mr. Spangenberg describe the fruits of faith, I immediately
cried out, 'If it be so, I have no faith.' He replied, 'Habes fidem, sed
exiguam.' That was also your case. It is not strange that you are seldom
satisfied with my letters; for I use few words, and should not be satisfied by
many. You want me to think for you. That is not my design. I only want you to
think of something that I am, dear Joseph,
With
affection. [59]
Their hatred of goodwill is the cross we are called
to carry
It is certainly possible to reconcile meekness,
yes, and kindness, with the utmost simplicity of speech. But this will
infallibly be called bitterness by those who do not receive it with love. Their
hatred of good will is the cross we are called to bear
For John
Fletcher
LONDON,
October 12, 1771.
DEAR SIR,--
Returning from Bedfordshire this evening, I have received your two letters and
the bill. I do not intend to say anything to Mr. Shirley, at least for the
present. I am glad that mine has come too late to prevent you from writing me
the Sixth Letter, which I trust will be as useful as the others. It is
certainly possible to reconcile meekness, yes, and kindness, with the utmost
simplicity of speech. But this will be infallibly called bitterness by those
who do not receive it with love. Their hatred of good will is the cross we are
called to bear.
I can
hardly believe what he says of Mr. Spencer, [See letter of June 20, 1770.]
whose love, I really believe, has no dissimulation. But Calvinism I know is a
mortal enemy of all Christian tempers.
Peace be
with your spirit-- I am, dear sir,
Always
yours. [60]
That peace will increase as your faith grows
To
Philothea Briggs
WITNEY,
October 16, 1771.
MY DEAR
PHILLY,-- It is not our fault to mourn for the cruelty of those we love: it can
only be an excess; So we need to observe in this, as in all things, to see the
life of man is a temptation on earth. And it is not our fault that we do not
regret the reproach we often meet with for following our own conscience. Of
these little ones you cannot be too sensitive or too careful; and as you are
often alone with them, you can teach them many important lessons as they can
bear them. But it requires immense patience; for you must tell them the same
thing ten times, or you will do nothing. [Compare his mother's patience. See
Stevenson's Wesley Family, p. 169.]
A higher
degree of this peace, which may well be regarded as beyond all comprehension,
will maintain not only your heart, but the whole workings of your mind (as the
word properly signifies), both of your reason and of your imagination, from all
irregular lines. This peace will increase as your faith grows; one always
accompanies the other. Thus therefore your continual prayer should also be,
'Lord, increase my faith!' A continual desire is a continual prayer—that is, in
the lower sense of the word; for there is a far higher sense, such an open
intercourse with God, such a close and unbroken communion with Him, as Gregory
Lopez experienced, and not a few of our brethren and sisters still living. One
of them (daughter of long-standing sorrow) was conversing with me this morning.
This you too must aspire to; As you know, He with whom we have to deal makes no
distinction of persons.
If you're
writing a verse, I'll give you a subject. Give me a picture of yourself: what
you currently are (as you've told me in prose) and what you want to be. You can
write in four-line stanzas, like those in 'Elegy written in the graveyard.'
The freer
you are with me, the more welcome. You have never been troublesome (and I am
convinced you never will be) to, my dear Philadelphia,
With
affection. [61]
There will always be something
incomprehensible
No wonder that the finite cannot measure the
infinite, that man cannot comprehend the ways of God. There will always be
something incomprehensible, something like Himself, in all His administrations.
RYE, October 28, 1771.
MY DEAR
SISTER,-- It is no wonder that the finite cannot measure the infinite, that man
cannot comprehend the ways of God. There will always be something
incomprehensible, something like Himself, in all His administrations. We must
therefore be content to be ignorant until eternity opens our understanding,
especially as to the reasons why He acted in a way or so. By this we shall know
when we are in Abraham's bosom.
As thinking
is the act of an incarnate spirit, playing upon a set of material keys, it is
not strange that the soul can make negative music when its instrument is out of
tune. This is often the case with you; and the trouble and anxiety you feel are
a natural effect of the disordered machine, which proportionately dysregulates
the mind. But this is not all: as long as they have to contend not only with
flesh and blood, but with principalities and powers, wise and powerful, they
will not use themselves of all bodily weaknesses to increase the suffering of
the soul, but let them do what they will; Let our frail bodies agree with
subtle and malicious spirits: but do not discard your confidence, which brings
great reward. 'Be strong in the Lord and in the power of His power.' Where you
have attained firmness; and when you feel the strongest and strongest attack,
when the enemy comes like a flood, do not reason, do not fight (in a sense)
with him, but sink into the presence of your Lord, and simply look up, saying
to Him: 'Lord, I cannot help it; I have neither wisdom nor strength for this
war; but I am Yours, I am all Yours: take it for me; let no one take me out of
You've got out of You. Keep that which has been entrusted to You and keep it
until that day.'
Your
affection. [62]
Reproach for doing our duty is an indescribable
blessing
Indeed, not without a good deal of reproach; but better still. Reproach for doing our duty is an indescribable blessing
For Isaac
Twycross
RYE,
October 29, 1771.
DEAR
ISAAC,-- Nothing has been fixed yet. But whatever God calls you, He will
prepare you for. Indeed, not without a good deal of reproach; but better still.
Reproach for doing our duty is an indescribable blessing.--I am
Your
affectionate brother.
To Isaac
Twycross at Kingswood School. [63]
Keep what God has given you
Keep what God has given you; Never let slip any
blessing you have received. Don't care about those who say, 'You must lose it.'
No; You never have to lose a degree of love
To Ann Bolton
LYNN,
November 7, 1771.
MY DEAR
SISTER,-- At length I have procured an hour to repeat to you in writing the
counsel I have given you before. [He was at Witney on the 15th and 16th of
October.] (1) Hold fast that which God has given you; Never let slip any
blessing which you have received. Do not care for those who say, 'You must lose
it.' No; You need never lose a degree of love. (2) You never will, so long as
you are a careful steward of the manifold gifts of God. To him who has—that is,
uses what he has—will still be given, and even more abundantly. Therefore (3)
Use all your grace. Awaken the gift of God that is in you. Be zealous! Be
active! Spare no one. Speak for God wherever you are. But in the meantime (4)
Be humble; let all that mind be in you, that was in Christ Jesus. And be
clothed with humility. Pray that you will always feel that you are nothing,
less than nothing and vanity. In this spirit, speak and do everything, giving
all glory to the One who reigns in your heart by faith.
Last night
I was reading some advice from a French author, some of which may be helpful to
you. Just notice, he is writing for someone who had living faith but was not
perfected in love.
'How can I
distinguish pride from temptation to pride' 'It is exceedingly difficult to
distinguish these aspects, let alone lay down rules for it. Our eyes cannot
penetrate the depths of the heart. Pride and vanity are natural to us; and for
this reason nothing is more constantly available, no less observed, than their
effects. The great rule is to earnestly sound the bottom of the heart when we
are not in a hurry from temptation. For if, on investigation, we find that she
loves obscurity and silence; that she fears applause and distinction; that she
values the virtue of others, and excuses her faults gently; that she easily
forgives injuries; that she fears contempt less and less; that she sees a
falsehood and baseness in pride, and a true nobility and greatness in humility;
that she knows and venerates the priceless riches of the cross and the
humiliations of Jesus Christ; who fears the brilliance of the virtues admired
by men, and loves those which are most secret; who finds comfort even from his
own faults through the humiliation they cause; and who prefers any degree of
scruple to all the light in the world; —then you may trust that all the
movements you feel tending to pride or vanity, whether they be sudden or
imposed upon you for a time, are not sin, but temptation. And then perhaps it
is better to turn away and despise them, rather than give them weight, by
fixing your attention on them.'
I want a
specific account of both your inner and outer health. Tell me how you are and
what you are doing; do not hold back anything from
Your
affectionate friend and brother.
Write soon,
or come: write and come. [64]
I'm glad you managed to do so much
I'm glad you were able to do so much. You should do
everything you can, otherwise the lack of exercise won't diminish, but will
increase your disorder. Maybe traveling a little will restore your strength,
although you still can't travel much
For Matthew
Lowes
NORWICH,
November 10, 1771.
DEAR
MATTHEW,-- I am glad you have been able to do so much. You must do all you can,
otherwise the lack of exercise will not lessen, but will increase your
disorder. Perhaps traveling a little will restore your strength, though you
cannot travel much yet. There is certainly no objection to your making balm
until you are considered an itinerant preacher. --I am, with affection to
Sister Lowes,
Your
affectionate brother. [65]
Everywhere there is a remarkable blessing present
in the prayer meetings.
Everywhere there is a remarkable blessing present
in prayer meetings. A revival of God's work is usually the consequence of them.
The most prevalent fault among Methodists is that they are overly open in
religion. We are constantly forgetting that the kingdom of God is within us
To John
Valton
NORWICH,
November 12, 1771.
MY DEAR
BROTHER,-- Many of our brethren began to help their neighbors in the principles
of Primitive Medicine. At first they prescribed only simple things, and God
blessed their labors. But they seldom continued as they began; they became more
and more complex in their prescriptions. Beware of this; keep to the simple
scheme. One thing will almost always be better than two.
I think
there is a small excerpt of the kind you mention among those donated by the
Society for the Promotion of Christian Knowledge. If so, I can easily sum it up
in a penny pamphlet. Dr. Tissot wrote for the Swiss constitutions: we must
consider English, which is generally less robust.
Your
affectionate brother.
To Mr. John
Valton, At Purfleet. [66]
So everything is ready for you
Are you not a mere sinner, a sinner stripped of
everything? Therefore everything is ready for you. Fear not; just believe. Now
believe and come into rest. How generous is the gentle physician to humble you,
to prove you, and to show you what is in your heart! Now let Christ and love
alone be present
To Maria
Bishop
LONDON,
November 20, 1771.
MY DEAR
SISTER,-- What if, even before this letter came into your hands, our Lord came
into your heart? Is He not near? Is He not now knocking at the door. What do
you say, 'Come in, my Lord, come in.' Are you not ready? Are you not a mere
sinner, a sinner stripped of everything? Therefore everything is ready for you.
Fear not; just believe. Now believe and come into rest. How generous is the
gentle physician to humble you, to test you, and to show you what is in your
heart! Now let Christ and love alone be present.
Sister
Janes's experience is clear and scriptural [Thomas Janes was one of the Bristol
preachers in 1770. See letter of December 26 to Mary Stokes.]: I hope she will
not let go of anything that God has given her. I know nothing of Mr. Morgan's
Sermons [James Morgan, who wrote the Life of Thomas Walsh, published The
Crucified Jesus, considered in three discourses.]: some in Dublin think he is
married, others do not. I hope the preachers in the chapel will now leave it
alone and follow the peace. Mr. Fletcher's Letters [The First Control of
Antinomianism had just appeared in the form of five letters.] have done much
good here, and have caused a mortal wound to antinomianism.--I am, my dear Miss
Walsh. Bishop,
With
affection. [67]
It is a great blessing that your co-workers and you
are all in unison
It is a great blessing that your fellow-workers and
you are all in unison. [He was at the Derbyshire Circuit with Thomas Olivers
and David Evans.] When that happens, the work of the Lord will prosper in your
hands
To Samuel
Bardsley
LONDON,
November 24, 1771.
DEAR
SAMMY,-- It is a great blessing that your fellow-workers and you are all in
unison. [He was at the Derbyshire Circuit with Thomas Olivers and David Evans.]
When that happens, the work of the Lord will prosper in your hands. It will go
on widening and deepening as you pull a yoke. If you wish, it will deepen in
believers, exhort them continually to go on to perfection, to use all the grace
they have received, and every moment to hope for full salvation. The Simple
Account of Christian Perfection you should read more than once, and recommend
it to all who mourn complete redemption.--I am
Your
affectionate brother. [68]
Send him to visit the whole Company
Send him to visit the whole Company (not only
those who can give him food and drink) from house to house, according to the
plan laid down in the Conference Minutes: then he will soon see the fruit of
his labour
For Ms.
Bennis
CANTERBURY,
December 3, 1771.
MY DEAR
SISTER,-- I really believed that Brother Collins [See letter of October 28.]
would be useful to you and you may be useful to him: talk without reservation,
and then you will seldom meet in vain. Send him to visit the whole Company (not
only those who can give him food and drink) from house to house, according to
the plan laid down in the Conference Minutes: then he will soon see the fruit
of his labor. I hope he will not be ashamed to preach the full salvation he now
receives by faith. This is the word which God will always bless, and which the
devil particularly hates; therefore he is constantly inciting both his own
children and the weak children of God against it.
All that
God has ever given you, hold on. But expect to see greater things than these.
Your
affectionate brother. [69]
But what are crosses and difficulties for those who
experience the living power of divine faith?
Advance it by all means in this labor of love,
though many difficulties attend it. But what are crosses and difficulties for
those who experience the living power of divine faith?
For Hannah
Ball
LONDON,
December 9, 1771.
MY DEAR
SISTER,-- It always gives me pleasure to hear that you are not far from the
hope of the gospel. No wonder that as your desires increase after the whole
image of God, your temptations, especially of that enemy of all righteousness,
increase also. I trust that Mr. Wells will be made a blessing to you and to
many,--especially if you visit from house to house; not only those with whom
you eat or drink, but the whole Company from one end of the city to the other.
Advance it by all means in this labor of love, though many difficulties attend
it. But what are crosses and difficulties to those who experience the living
power of Divine faith? You can do all through Christ by strengthening you,
however painful it may be to flesh and blood. Now may the return of health be a
blessing to you. Spend and be spent by a good Master. "I am, my dear
sister,
Your
affectionate brother. [70]
God will give you strength according to your day
I have no
doubts, but God will give you strength according to your day
To Thomas
Simpson
CHATHAM,
December 12, 1771.
DEAR
TOMMY,--I have no doubt, but God will give you strength according to your day.
I found
John Glascock [Is this John Glascott, who was converted at school in April,
1768, and became a preacher in 1782-3? He may have come from Cardiff. See
letter of May 13, 1764.] lacking everything; I sent him to Kingswood, that he
might lack nothing. But, as he is neither thankful to God nor to men, send him
back as soon as you please.
Whenever we
find a young man who can and wants to conscientiously follow the rules of the
house, you will have him directly. Is the young man from Coleford like that? If
so, take him without delay.--I am, dear Tommy,
Your
affectionate brother.
To Mr.
Thomas Simpson, Kingswood. [71]
Love Shifts the Scales
For some time I have been in doubt whether it was
better for me to write or leave it to its own reflections. But in the end, love
shifts the scales. I can no longer be silent without lacking in affection. I
will therefore state the case as impartially as possible; and may God give you
a right judgment in all things!
For S. L- ]
LEWISHAM,
December 14, 1771.
DEAR
BROTHER,-- For some time I have been in doubt whether it was better for me to
write or leave it to its own reflections. But in the end, love changes the
scales. I can no longer be silent without lacking in affection. I will
therefore state the case as impartially as possible; and may God give you a
right judgment in all things!
It pleased
God to entrust you with several talents—a measure of His grace, of natural
understanding, enhanced by reading and conversation, and a tolerable
expression. And what are you doing with these talents? You are almost burying
them in the earth. A dispensation of the gospel is entrusted to you; and yet
you do not preach the gospel, but now and then, instead of continuing to awaken
the gift of God that is in you. Is this inactivity, this loss of so many
precious opportunities, due to any temporal visions? Do you expect to get more
money late? I hope not. Do you want to avoid work, shame, or reproach? I would
like to think better things of you. Surely you have not learned Christ thus!
But you
have promised, not actually to man, but before God, that you will not leave the
Church. What do you mean by this? What ideas do you associate with this
confused expression? In what sense can the celebration in the chapels of West
Street or Spitalfields (both consecrated places, if that helps) be called to
leave the Church? Mr. Dodd, one of the king's chaplains, leaves the Church
officiating in the Chapel of Charlotte Street, though this has not yet been
consecrated, neither is under episcopal jurisdiction.
But if you
had made this promise ten times, yet I ask, would you not be 'more honored in
breaking than in keeping'? For what did you promise? To wait for the shoes of
the dead? Was not that a foolish promise? To bury your talent in the earth? Was
it not a sinful promise? To incur the pain of not preaching the gospel? Is it
not foolish and sinful? 'But do you? I do not intend to stand in the vineyard
all day idle. You will only wait a little longer.' Well, how long will you stay
like a dumb dog, twenty or ten years, or a year and a half? If you have a life
contract, well. But what if you are called in a year to give an account of your
administration? Or live today! Do all the good you can while this is called
today! Now shake the gift of God that is in you! Now save as many souls as you
can; and do all you can to relieve labor and prolong the life of
Your
affectionate friend and brother. [72]
It does seem that the time has come when our Lord will put away our reproach
For James
Hutton
December
26, 1771.
DEAR
JAMES,-- It seems that the time has come when our Lord will turn away our
reproach, and Ephraim will no longer trouble Judah or Ephraim.
Frank
Okeley and you, with my brother and I, at least as many, are lovers of peace.
After more than half a century of years, we are tired of strife and strife. If
we do not yet think alike, at least we can love alike. And indeed, unity of
affection is a good step forward toward unity of judgment. We need not despair
of going further with time: the right hand of the Lord makes powerful things
happen. Nothing will be lacking that is within the reach of, dear James,
His old
friend and brother.
To Mr.
Hutton, at Lindsey House, Chelsea. [73]
I hope this affliction will be a great blessing to
your brother
To Ann
Bolton
LONDON,
December 28, 1771.
Your
affectionate brother. [74]
[1]
Overview of Google's AI mode
[2]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[3]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[4]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[5]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[6]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[7]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[8]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[9]
Overview of Google's AI mode
[10]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-177'/
[11]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-177'/
[12]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-177'/
[13]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[14]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[15]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[16]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[17]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[18]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[19]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[20]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[21]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[22]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[23]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[24]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[25]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/
[26]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[27]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[28]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[29]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[30]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[31]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[32]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[33]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[34]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[35]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[36]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[37]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[38]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[39]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[40]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[41]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[42]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[43]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[44]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[45]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[46]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[47]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[48]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[49]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[50]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[51]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[52]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[53]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[54]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[55]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[56]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[57]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[58]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[59]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[60]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[61]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[62]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[63]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[64]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[65]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[66]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[67]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[68]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[69]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[70]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[71]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[72]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[73]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[74]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
Comentários
Postar um comentário