Wesley's Pastoral Letters on the Sacrament of Baptism

 

Odilon Massolar Chaves

 

 


Copyright © 2026, Odilon Massolar Chaves

All rights reserved to the author.

It is allowed to read, copy and share for free.

Article 184 of the Penal Code and Law 96710 of February 19, 1998.

Books published in the Wesleyan Digital Library: 881

Books published by the author: 921

Cover: https://pt.pngtree.com/freebackground/a-single-drop-falling-on-water-with-ripples-forming-on-the-surface_15992911.html

Odilon Massolar Chaves is a retired Methodist pastor, with a doctorate in Theology and History from the Methodist University of São Paulo.

Son of Rev. Adherico Ribeiro Chaves and Roza Massolar Chaves.

He is married to RoseMary.

He has two daughters: Liliana and Luciana.

His thesis dealt with the Methodist revival in England in the eighteenth century and its contribution as a paradigm for our days.

 

============================

 

   

"I say by washing, immersing, or sprinkling, because Scripture does not determine which of these means is to be used either by express precept, or by a clear example to prove it, or by force or by the meaning of the word baptize."[1]

 

(John Wesley

 

Table of Contents

 

·       Introduction

·       Wesley's Concept of Baptism

·       The form of baptism

·       The sacraments of Baptism and the Lord's Supper keep us at a great distance from each other

·       I showed them how vainly they relied on baptism for salvation

·     How we have not yet set a precedent for someone who has not been ordained to administer baptism

·       You suppose this to be the same with baptism

·       You Think the Way of Baptism Is 'Necessary for Salvation'

·       Many received a sense of forgiveness when I baptized them

·       On His Baptism and Administration of the Lord's Supper

·       John's baptism differed from Christ's baptism

·       The Trinity in the Baptism of Jesus

 

Introduction

 

"Wesley's Pastoral Letters on the Sacrament of Baptism" is a 24-page book based on Wesley's letters and his Explanatory Notes on the New Testament.

This book is not a textbook on baptism, but statements and teachings of Wesley taken from his letters.

For Wesley, baptism does not save. Writing to his brother Charles, he said on September 21, 1739, "... Friday, September 14, I explained again at Islington; but as the house was too small for company, I stayed in the garden, and showed them how much they relied in vain on baptism for salvation, unless they were holy in heart." [2]

Nor does the form of baptism save. In fact, neither does the Bible determine the form. Wesley said, "I say by washing, immersion, or sprinkling, because the Scripture does not determine which of these means is to be used, either by express precept, or by a clear example to prove it, or by force or by the meaning of the word baptize."[3]

Wesley also baptized, though he had no fixed local church. To his brother Charles, on January 5, 1763, he said, "I baptized two Turks two or three weeks ago. [On December 4, 1762, at Maxfield's request, Wesley baptized these two men, who proved impostors. See Diary, iv. 540, v. 3; and letter of February 8.] They seem to be strong in the faith; and their story is very probable, but I am not sure whether it is true. I wait for further proof." [4]

Wesley "rigidly held that the baptism of adult and infant converts should be performed by ordained ministers of the Church of England, keeping the Methodist movement closely bound to the parish structure of the Church of England."[5]

The exception happened after the independence of the USA (1776), as the English clergy returned to England.

"With no clergy to baptize the new converts and the children of Methodists in America, Wesley made a historic exception in 1784: he himself ordained Methodist ministers and sent liturgical guidelines so that they could finally administer baptism and the Supper on American soil." [6]

After Wesley's death, "the Methodist Conference passed the Pacification Plan of 1795, which officially allowed Methodist preachers themselves to administer Holy Communion in chapels independently. 

The same decree extended to itinerant Methodist preachers the authorization to perform baptisms and burials, breaking once and for all the sacramental bond of dependence they had on the Anglican clergy." [7] 

A book that helps to know and follow Wesley's teachings on baptism.

The Author

 

Wesley's Concept of Baptism

 

"For John Wesley, baptism is the initiatory sacrament ordained by Christ that marks the entrance into the covenant with God, serving as an outward and visible sign of an inward grace." [8]

Wesley's Concept of Baptism

  • "Sign and Means of Grace: Wesley saw baptism as an authentic channel through which God communicates His grace, cleansing away original guilt and uniting the believer with the Church. 
  • Not Automatic without Faith/Transformation: Although we considered baptism powerful and valid (including advocating infant baptism), Wesley warned that ritual is no substitute for the need for real conversion. 
  • Relationship to the New Birth: Wesley differentiated between baptism with water and complete regeneration (the new spiritual birth), but he argued that the two go together. Baptism is the gateway to the covenant, but the baptized person must experience and bear fruit the grace of a life transformed by the Holy Spirit." [9]

 

The form of baptism

 

Concerning the form of baptism, Wesley said, "I say by washing, immersion, or sprinkling, because the Scripture does not determine which of these means is to be used either by express precept, or by a clear example that proves it, or by the force or meaning of the word baptize."[10]

Wesley had a difficulty with a family as to how to baptize, in Savannah. On Wednesday, May 5, 1736. Wesley said, 'I was asked to baptize a son of Mr. Parker's, second bailiff of Savannah. But Mrs. Parker said to me, 'Neither Mr. P. nor I will agree to the dip.' I replied, 'If you make sure your child is weak, it will be enough (says the rubric) to pour water on him.' She replied, 'No, the child is not weak; but I am resolved that it will not be dipped.' This argument I could not dispute. So I went home; and the child was baptized by someone else."[11]

Asked if the form of baptism saved, Wesley replied to Gilbert Boyce, on May 22, 1750: "You think the mode of baptism is 'necessary to salvation': I deny that even baptism itself is so; if it were, every Quaker would have to be condemned, which I cannot believe at all." [12]

"The Quakers (as the Religious Society of Friends is known) do not perform baptism with water. They do not practice ritualistic baptism and avoid any kind of external sacrament or physical ceremony." [13]

From Wesley's letters we take some statements and teachings about baptism:

 

The sacraments of Baptism and the Lord's Supper keep us at a great distance from each other

 

 

 And I am not curious to know, since between me and them there is a great gulf settled. The sacraments of Baptism and the Lord's Supper keep us at a great distance from each other

 

 

To Thomas Church

June 17, 1746.

“(...) There is a justification imparted to us at our baptism; or, properly, this state is then initiated. But if we fall into sins, we cannot recover them without true faith and repentance, which implies (as its fruits) forsaking our sins and amending our whole life.'

I have only one circumstance to add—that I am not lately convinced of these things. For this is the doctrine which I have taught continuously for eight or nine years in the last few years; I have only abstained from the word 'condition,' perhaps more rigorously than would be necessary.

I have not studied the writings of the Quakers sufficiently (having read few but Robert Barclay [See letter of February 10, 1748.]) to say exactly what they mean by perceptible inspiration, and whether their explanation of it is right or wrong. And I am not curious to know, since between me and them there is a great gulf settled. The sacraments of Baptism and the Lord's Supper keep us at a great distance from each other; to the extent that, according to the view I now have, I should begin as early as a Quaker. ['Smith' had said: 'The son of a Wesley and an Annesley is in no danger of lukewarmness, but must be very careful of impetuosity and zeal. The tempter will never make you a vagabond or a sluggard, but, if you are not on the alert, may, before he knows it, make you a Quaker.'] (...)”.[14]

 

I showed them how vainly they relied on baptism for salvation

 

I explained again at Islington; but as the house was too small for company, I stayed in the garden, and showed them how much they vainly trusted in baptism for salvation, unless they were holy in heart, without which their circumcision would become in truth uncircumcision

 

To your brother Carlos

ISLINOTON, September 21, 1739.

(...) Friday, September 14, I explained again at Islington; but as the house was too small for company, I stayed in the garden, and showed them how much they trusted in vain in baptism for salvation, unless they were holy in heart, without which their circumcision would become in truth uncircumcision. I then went to Fetter Lane, where I overthrew the loud expression of the proud with an exposition of these words: 'It is lawful for me, but it edifies me not.'

Saturday, the 15th of September, I set forth the words upon which the book opened in Lady Hume's house: 'The cares of this world, the deceitfulness of riches, and the desires of other things, choke the word, and it becomes unfruitful.' At Fetter Lane I was directed to these words: 'I will pray to the Father, and He will give thee another Comforter, that He may abide with thee for ever.' Many were touched in the heart, both here and at Mr. Exall's house, where I reinforced the words of our Lord, 'Unless thou be born again, thou shalt not be able to see the kingdom of God.'

Sunday, the 16th, I preached at Moorfields to about ten thousand persons, and at Kennington Common to between twenty and thirty thousand, on these words: 'We want to hear from thee what thou thinkest: for as to this sect we know that it is everywhere discussed.' In both places I have very clearly described the difference between true ancient Christianity, commonly called by the new name of Methodism, and Christianity now generally taught.

From thence I went to Lambeth (where I found that the congregation of oars was considerably increasing), and exhorted them to cry mightily unto our Lord that He might say to them, as to those sick with paralysis, 'Be of good cheer; Thy sins are forgiven thee.' From our feast of love at Fetter Lane, I went to Islington House. Sufficient for this day was labour.

Pray my love to Brother Mitchell; and that the lead cistern should be lost. On Monday evening I intend, God willing, to depart. Tuesday I hope to spend at Oxford. On Wednesday evening let James Ellis meet me at Gloucester. Then I will expound the next three or four days as we shall agree, God willing. I thank from my heart our Brethren Westall, Oldfield, Cross, Haydon, and Wynne; and our sisters Deftel, Shafto, Oldfield, Thomas, Stephens, Mrs. Thomas, and Mrs. Deschamps. I wish some one would write by Wednesday. Pray for us. Farewell. [15]

 

How we have not yet set a precedent for someone who has not been ordained to administer baptism

 

Since we have not yet set a precedent for someone who has not been ordained to administer baptism, it is best to go slowly and safely

 

For Alexander Suter

LONDON, November 24, 1787.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- It was an empty thing to send coats to Scotland, where the ministers don't wear them. But a cassock can easily be made into a dress by adding only a foot or two of stuff.

Since we have not yet set a precedent for someone who has not been ordained to administer baptism, it is best to go slowly and safely.

Our Sunday schools in Bolton have over eight hundred children, all taught by our own brethren without pay. I love the Sunday schools very much. They have done very well. I will give you Instructions and Memories for Children. We are now printing a large edition. O be zealous for God! -- I am

Your affectionate friend and brother. [16]

 

You suppose this to be the same with baptism

 

Or do you mean that regeneration is a part of the new birth? No, that is all. Or is it the 'washing of regeneration,' which is the first part of it? That it cannot be; for you suppose it to be the same with baptism

 

To Mr. Potter, Vicar of Reymerston

NORWICH, November 4, 1758.

REVEREND LORD,--1. To this day I had not seen your sermon on the Feigned Inspiration of the Methodists. Otherwise I would have had the luxury of sending you a few lines before. That sermon, indeed, only repeats what has been said before and answered often. But as it is said again, I believe it is my duty to answer again. Not that I know Mr. Cayley [Cornelius Cayley (1729-80), born at Hull; clerk of the treasury to the Prince of Wales; published his autobiography in 1758. He was a friend of James Hervey and a preacher. He wrote a reply to Potter's sermon.] or Osborn: I have never exchanged a word with either of them. Yet, in joining myself and them, I am bound to speak for myself, and once more to give a reason for my hope of being free from the charge you bring against me.

2. There are several statements in his sermon which need not be permitted; but they are not worth impugning upon. For the present, therefore, I shall speak only of two things: (1) his account of the new birth; and (2) 'the feigned inspiration' (as you like to call it) 'of the Methodists.'

3. Of the new birth you say, 'The terms of being regenerated, of being born again, of being born of God are often used to express the works of evangelical righteousness' (pages 10-11). I cannot allow of this. I do not know that they are used in Scripture to express any outward work. They always express an inward work of the Spirit, of which baptism is the outward sign. You add, 'Its primary, peculiar, and precise meaning means' (a little improper of expression) 'our redemption from death and restoration to eternal life by the grace of God' (page 13). It does not mean, unless by death you mean sin, and by holiness eternal life. The exact meaning of the term is 'a new birth unto righteousness,' an inward change from the unholy to the holy temper. You continue, 'This grace which our Lord here calls "entering into the kingdom of God."' If this is so, your statement is, 'If a man be born again, he cannot' be born again. It is not so. What He says is: Unless a man experiences this change, he cannot enter My kingdom.

4. You go on: 'Our holy Church teaches us that... by the washing of regeneration in baptism we are received into the number of the sons of God.... This is the first part of the new birth.' What is the first part of the baptism of birth is the outward sign of that inward and spiritual grace; but no part of it. It is impossible that this should be. The outward sign is no more a part of the inward grace than the body is no more a part of the soul. Or do you mean that regeneration is a part of the new birth? No, that is all. Or is it the 'washing of regeneration,' which is the first part of it? That it cannot be; for you suppose this to be the same with baptism.

5. 'The second part, inward and spiritual grace, is death to sin, and a new birth to righteousness.' What! is the new birth the second part of the new birth, I understand it to be the first and second part also; and surely nothing could have prevented you from seeing it but the ardor of your spirit, and the impetuosity with which you run and trample everything in front of you. Your manner of writing reminds me of an honest Quaker in Cornwall, whose words I would recommend for your consideration. Asked by one of the Friends whether he should publish a treatise which he had already read to many in private, he replied, 'What! Thou art not satisfied with laying John Wesley on his back, but he must also tread on his bowels' [See letter of 15 Sept. 1762 to Samuel Furly.] (...).[17]

 

You Think the Way of Baptism Is 'Necessary for Salvation'

 

You think the mode of baptism is 'necessary unto salvation': I deny that even baptism itself is so; if it were, every Quaker would have to be condemned, which I cannot believe at all

 

For Gilbert Boyce

BANDON, May 22, 1750.

DEAR LORD, -- I do not think that neither the Church of England, nor the People called Methodist, nor any other Society under heaven are the True Church of Christ. For that Church is one, and contains all the true believers on earth. But I conceive every Society of true believers as a branch of the one true Church of Christ.

No wonder that young, uninstructed preachers use some improper expressions. I trust that, by friendly counsel, they will lay them aside. And as they grow in years, they will increase in knowledge.

I have neither the inclination nor the time to take the saw out of controversy. But a few comments here I would make so that we can understand and (hopefully) love each other, be better.

You think the mode of baptism is 'necessary unto salvation': I deny that even baptism itself is so; if it were, every Quaker would have to be condemned, which I cannot believe at all.

I consider nothing (strictly speaking) necessary for salvation except the mind that was in Christ. If I thought you had no measure of it, I might love you like a heathen man or a bartender.

Those who believe with faith acting out of love are children of God.

It does not surprise me that God permits (does not cause) lesser evils among these, when I observe far greater evils among them; for sin is an infinitely greater evil than ignorance.

I do not conceive that unity in the outward modes of worship is so necessary among the children of God that they cannot be children of God without it, though I thought it was.

I use (so far as I know) all the means of grace which God has ordained just as God has ordained them. But here is your great mistake: you think my plan is to 'form a Church.' No: I have no such design. It is not my desire or dignity that any one who accepts my help should leave the Church of which he is now a member. If I were to convert Indians, I would take every step that St. Paul took: but I am not; therefore some of these measures I must not take. Therefore I still join the Church of England so far as I can; at the same time, I and my friends use various prudential aids which our Church neither enjoins nor forbids, as they are in themselves of a purely indifferent nature.

What I say of the generality both of the teachers and of the people in the Church of England, I say of the teachings and of the people of all other denominations—I mean, as far as I have known them; and I have known not a few both in Europe and in America. I have never seen a non-mixed communion hitherto, except perhaps between the Moravian Brethren or the Methodists. Yet that God blesses us even when we receive the Lord's Supper at St. Paul's, I can prove by innumerable occasions.

If I were in the Church of Rome, I would conform to all the doctrines and practices of it, so long as they were not contrary to the simple Scriptures. And, to the best of my judgment, I have hitherto conformed only to those of the Church of England. I have already explained myself at length in the third volume of Sermons as to the emphasis which I think is attached to opinions. This I have also learned by my dear experience. Yet I thank God that I have learned at any cost. I am not conscious of embracing any opinion or practice which is not compatible with the Word of God, and I believe that the doctrine, worship, and discipline (so far as it is limited) of the Church of England are in accordance with this.

I wish your zeal would be better employed than in persuading men to be bathed or rejected. I will employ mine by the grace of God to persuade them to love God with all their heart, and their neighbor as themselves.

I cannot answer God to spend any part of that precious time, every hour of which I can employ in that which directly tends to promote that love among men, in contesting or defending this or that form of Church government. I have 'tasted all things' of this kind for more than twenty years: I now 'hold fast that which is good'—that which, in my judgment, is not only contrary to the Scriptures, but strictly acceptable to them. But, on a fixed principle, I absolutely refuse to enter into a formal controversy over the head. Here I am also on one point. And if by this you judge me a Papist or a Turk, I cannot help it.

I am fully convinced that you have not spoken out of anger, but out of zeal for your own opinion and mode of worship; and perhaps it is worth while for another man to dispute these impressions with you. But to me it is not. I am called to another work; not to make men of the Church of England or Baptists, but Christians, men of faith and love. May God fill you with this is the prayer of, dear sir,

Your affectionate friend and brother. [18]

 

Many received a sense of forgiveness when I baptized them

 

To the argument of the baptism of heretics alone I answer: If someone had said during that heated controversy, 'I received a sense of forgiveness when I was baptized by such a heretic,' those on the other side would not have believed him at all; so that the dispute would remain as hot as ever. I know this for a fact. Many received a sense of forgiveness when I baptized them. But who will believe them when they affirm this?

 

To Richard Tompson

LONDON, February 5, 1756.

LORD, -- I was in Cornwall when your last was taken to the Foundry and delivered to my brother. When I returned, it was lost and could not be found; so that I did not receive it until a few months after the date.

You judge right in regard to the treatise [The Address to the Clergy. Probably intended for the Rev. George Thompson, vicar of St. Gennys.] attached to you. It was sent to you by mistake by another who has the same name.

We agree that Christian perfection may be laid aside for the time being. The point to be considered now is the Christian faith. This, I understand, implies a Divine evidence or conviction of our acceptance. You think you have not.

In debating this (or any other) point with you, I am at a great disadvantage. (1) You know me; while I do not know you. (2) I am a very slow writer, you seem to be very fast. (3) My time is so occupied, from day to day and from week to week, that I can scarcely spare my stated employments; so that I can neither write so widely nor so precisely as I should otherwise. All that you can expect from me is not a closed chain of connected arguments, but a brief sketch of what I would deduce more fully if I had more time.

I believe that the ancient Fathers are far from silent about our question; though none that I know of has dealt with it in an avowed way. But I have no time to cross that sea. To the argument of the baptism of heretics alone I answer: If any one had said during that heated controversy, 'I received a sense of pardon when I was baptized by such a heretic,' those on the other side would not have believed him at all; so that the dispute would remain as hot as ever. I know this for a fact. Many received a sense of pardon when I baptized them. But who will believe them when they assert it? Who will put any dispute upon this question

I know also that Luther, Melanchthon, and many others (if not all) of the Reformers frequently and strongly assert that every believer is conscious of his own acceptance with God, and that by a supernatural evidence, which, if any one, chooses as immediate revelation, he can. But I have not even time to re-examine this cloud of witnesses. Nor, indeed, as you justly observe, would the testimony of them all together be sufficient to establish an unscriptural doctrine. Therefore, after all, we must be determined by higher evidence. And here we fully agree: we both appeal to 'the law and to the testimony.' May God grant us to understand it aright!

But first, lest you disbelieve what you never wished to prove, I will show you as plainly as possible what my feelings are on the matter, but because I distinctly perceive that you do not yet understand them. You seem to think that I do not allow degrees in grace, and that I make no distinction between the full assurance of faith and a low or common measure of it.

Some years ago, some clergymen and other gentlemen with whom we had a free conversation put the following questions to me and my brother, to which we gave the answers together. [19]

 

On His Baptism and Administration of the Lord's Supper

 

I wrote a few days ago to Mr. Hanby about his baptism and administration of the Lord's Supper wherever he goes. He answers me, 'He still intends to do it, for he believes it is his duty.' I would like Brother Creighton, Moore, Rankin, and you to spend an hour together, as it is a point of the utmost importance, and to consider what steps should be taken in this matter.

 

For Peard Dickinson

DUBLIN, April 11, 1789.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- As soon as Sister Dickinson can go abroad, let her begin her labor of love. In situations of this kind, delays are especially dangerous. Every good purpose will grow cold and die if it is not carried out as soon as possible. Only we cannot undertake too much at once. Usually one visit is sufficient for a day, and it should not last more than half an hour, or at most an hour.

I wrote a few days ago to Mr. Hanby about his baptism and administration of the Lord's Supper wherever he goes. He answers me, 'He still intends to do it, for he believes it is his duty.' I would like Brother Creighton, Moore, Rankin, and you to spend an hour together, for it is a point of the utmost importance, and consider what steps should be taken in this matter. Can this be manipulated? If so, I fear it is a blow at the root of Methodism. And if not, you see the consequence: he will join John Atlay. Consider also another point: we must allow Dr. Coke to choose, one after another, the best of our young preachers [Evidently by his missionary work.] Peace be upon your spirits! -- I am

Your affectionate friend and brother. [20]

 

John's baptism differed from Christ's baptism

 

From all that follows that those like John baptized with water, but were not baptized with the baptism of Christ.' Very true. But this proves neither more nor less than that John's baptism differed from Christ's baptism

 

To Thomas Whitehead

BRISTOL, February 10, 1748.

You ask me, 'Is there any difference between Quakerism and Christianity? I think so. What that difference is, I'll tell you as clearly as I can.

I shall first present the account of Quakerism (so called) which is given by Robert Barclay; and then add where it agrees with and differs from Christianity.

(...)' Just as there is one Lord and one faith, so there is one baptism.' Yes, an outward baptism; which you deny. Here, therefore, is another difference between Quakerism and Christianity.

But 'if those whom John baptized with water were not baptized with the baptism of Christ, then the baptism of water is not the baptism of Christ.'

This is only a minor criticism. The sequence should be: 'So that baptism of water' (i.e., the baptism of John) 'was not the baptism of Christ.' Who said it was

However, Robert Barclay likes this argument so much that he repeats it in almost the same words:

'If John, who administered water baptism but did not baptize with the baptism of Christ, then water baptism is not the baptism of Christ.'

This is the same fallacy. The continuation here should also be: 'So that baptism of water was not the baptism of Christ.'

He repeats, with a slight variation, a third time: 'Christ himself says, "John baptized with water, but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost." '

He repeats a fourth time: 'Peter says, 'Then I remembered the word of the Lord, John baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.' From all that follows that those like John baptized with water, but were not baptized with the baptism of Christ.' Very true. But this proves neither more nor less than that the baptism of John differed from the baptism of Christ. And it doubtless came to pass; not, indeed, as to the outward sign, but as to inward grace.[21]

 

The Trinity in the Baptism of Jesus

 

And Jesus, being baptized, came up immediately out of the water, and, behold, the heavens were opened to him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and alighting upon him. And behold, a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased

 

Matthew 3

Verse 13

Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan

Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan, to John, to be baptized by him.

Mark 1:9; Luke 3:21

Verse 15

All justice must be complied with

And Jesus answered and said to him, "Let it be so now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness." Then he suffered it.

Wesley's Comments

It behooves us to fulfill all righteousness - It behooves every messenger of God to observe all his righteous ordinances. But the particular meaning of our Lord seems to be that it behooves us to do (I receive baptism and you administer it) to fulfill, that is, that I may fully fulfill every part of God's righteous law, and the commission which he has given me.

Verse 16

And Jesus, being baptized, immediately came up out of the water

And Jesus, being baptized, came up immediately out of the water, and, behold, the heavens were opened to him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and settling upon him.

Wesley's Comments

And Jesus being baptized - Let our Lord's submission to baptism teach us a holy exactitude in the observance of those institutions which owe their obligation only to a divine commandment. Surely so befits all his followers to fulfill all righteousness. Jesus had no sin to wash away. And yet he was baptized.

And God possessed his ordinance, so as to make it the season of pouring out the Holy Spirit upon him

Wesley's Comments

And God possessed his ordinance, so as to make it the season of pouring out the Holy Ghost upon him. And where can we expect this sacred effusion, but in a humble attendance at the Divine appointments? Behold, the heavens were opened, and he saw the Spirit of God, adds St. Luke, in bodily form, probably in a glorious appearance of fire, perhaps in the form of a dove, descending with a fluctuating motion, till it alighted upon him. This was a visible sign of those secret operations of the blessed Spirit, by which he was anointed in a peculiar manner; and abundantly fitted to his public work.

Verse 17

This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased

And behold, a voice from heaven saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

Wesley's Comments

And here is a voice—We have here a glorious manifestation of the ever-blessed Trinity: the Father speaking from heaven, the Son speaking, the Holy Spirit descending upon him.

In whom I delight - What praise is this! How poor for this are all other kinds of praise! To him, the pleasure, the delight of God, this is really praise: this is the true glory: this is the highest, brightest light, in which virtue can appear.[22]

 

 

 



[1] BURTNER, Robert W.; CHILES, Robert E. Collection of the Theology of John Wesley. JGEC. São Paulo: Methodist Press, 1960, p. 273. 

[2] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1739/

[3] BURTNER, Robert W.; CHILES, Robert E. Collection of the Theology of John Wesley. JGEC. São Paulo: Methodist Press, 1960, p. 273.

[4] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1763/

[5] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[6] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[7] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[8] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[9] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[10] BURTNER, Robert W.; CHILES, Robert E. Collection of the Theology of John Wesley. JGEC. São Paulo: Methodist Press, 1960, p. 273.

[11] https://quod.lib.umich.edu/e/evans/N22587.0001.001/1:7.2?rgn=div2;view=fulltext

[12] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1750/

[13] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[14] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1746/

[15] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1739/

[16] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1787/

[17] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1787/

[18] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1750/

[19] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1756/

[20] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1799/

[21] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1748/

[22] https://www.studylight.org/comentários/en/wen/matthew-3.html.

Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas deste blog