The Year Prayers Miraculously Delivered Wesley From Death

 

Newspapers announced his death, but Wesley survived and lived another 15 years

 

Odilon Massolar Chaves

 

 


Copyright © 2026, Odilon Massolar Chaves

All rights reserved to the author.

It is allowed to read, copy and share for free.

Article 184 of the Penal Code and Law 96710 of February 19, 1998.

Books published in the Wesleyan Digital Library: 890

Books published by the author: 930

Cover:https://georgianera.wordpress.com/2014/11/11/1775-influenza-epidemic/

Odilon Massolar Chaves is a retired Methodist pastor, with a doctorate in Theology and History from the Methodist University of São Paulo.

Son of Rev. Adherico Ribeiro Chaves and Roza Massolar Chaves.

He is married to RoseMary.

He has two daughters: Liliana and Luciana.

His thesis dealt with the Methodist revival in England in the eighteenth century and its contribution as a paradigm for our days.

 

Table of Contents

 

·       Introduction

·       1775, the year Wesley "conquered death"

·       Unless something unforeseen gets in the way

·       Be Zealous and Active for a Good Master

·       There's nothing better in heaven or on earth than love

·       It pleases God to continue my strength until now, and my disorder causes me little uneasiness

·       Be a follower of her, even as she was of Christ

·       Beware of Your Own Spirit

·       Now there is a probability that God will hear the prayer

·       You have never been in your lives in such a critical situation as you are now

·       I'm not on either side, and yet on both sides

·       Terrible inconveniences arose because of private interest rather than public interest

·       You just tell me in general that your health is getting worse

·       Seize every opportunity

·       And use what little strength you have for the glory of the One who gave it

·       The clouds are black over England as well as America

·       To oppose the party spirit

·       I think silence in this case would be a sin against God

·       Totally unsuitable for a Methodist preacher

·       That is our calling, to stand firm in glorious freedom

·       Last month I was at death's door

·       Always accept advice or rebukes as a favor

·       By God's blessing, I'm at least as well as I was before my recent illness

·       I'm as strong as I was when it started

·       Someone who has nothing to do but save their own soul and those who listen to you

·       I believe that my late illness has already answered many wise ends of Providence

·       It's not safe to live or die without love

·       A few weeks ago, I was on the verge of death in the north of Ireland

·       Be quiet 'til I die

·       Commerce in general is extremely decadent and thousands of people are completely unemployed

·       Trust in the Lord and do good

·       I told them my plan to help them, which is this

·       I rejoice to know that God has made Mr. Crook's labor of love profitable for some of you

·       May the Lord give you right judgment in all things

·       We must not despair of anything

·       I think I've already grabbed the thread and I can unravel everything

·       The account given in our newspapers about my death was not entirely unfounded

·       We will help you (as said) with the cost

·       I'm just putting in the press 'a new edition of the Speech, corrected'

·       I am glad to know that God's word prospers in your hands

·       One of the noblest medicines in the world

·       Everywhere do not forsake declaring to them the whole counsel of God

·       How shockingly ignorant our lawyers of the law are

·       I say that I don't remember anything about this book, neither the title nor the script

·       Prayer meetings can be of great use not only to individuals, but to the entire nation

·       I observed his admirably good spirit

·       Beware of being swept away by the torrent

·       I am currently better than before the fever

 

Introduction

 

The Year Prayers Miraculously Delivered Wesley From Death is a 65-page book based on his letters.

The year 1775 was marked in Methodism as the year in which Wesley miraculously "conquered death."[1]

"In 1775, he became seriously ill in Ireland, to the point that English newspapers published his obituary early. Faced with the news and the leader's terminal state, the Methodist faithful gathered in a great chain of prayer, begging God to repeat with Wesley the biblical miracle done to King Hezekiah, adding another 15 years to his life", [2] which actually happened.

During a period of prayer for Wesley, Thomas Payne, one of the Methodist preachers "felt moved to pray that, just as God spared the life of King Hezekiah (Isaiah 38:1-6), He would also spare the life of John Wesley. This request for fifteen years to be added to Wesley's life awakened the faith of the prayer group and they cried out to the Lord for its fulfillment. While praying fervently, suddenly Mrs. Gayer stood up and announced, 'Prayer has been granted!' Wesley's health began to improve rapidly and less than a week later he was back on his travels." [3] 

Wesley said that the news in the newspapers about his death was not entirely unfounded. To Thomas Rankin, on October 20, 1775, Wesley wrote, "The account given in our newspapers of my death was not altogether unfounded; for I was not only dead, my pulse utterly lost, and 'the wheel in the cistern motionless.' But then our Lord intervened, and the fever overcame His touch and fled." [4] 

In seven letters written in 1775, Wesley dealt with the subject of his miraculous cure. Wesley even lost consciousness for a few days and part of his hair. 

Some historians say that it was "a severe outbreak of influenza (flu of strong intensity) accompanied by a continuous fever", [5] the result of a harsh winter. 

"The outbreak was part of a wider respiratory epidemic (often described at the time as ' epidemical cold' ) that struck the British Isles and central Europe between the autumn and winter of 1775 and 1776." [6]

About two-thirds of Dublin's population contracted the flu. About 40,000 people died. Dublin had between 130,000 and 140,000 inhabitants. 

The London Chronicle, dated December 19, 1775, quotes that "a gentleman who had recently arrived from Tipperary assured that the flu spread most violently in Ireland and had far more fatal consequences, for, as far as he knew, for many people who went to sleep well at night, they woke up dead in the morning."[7] 

The year 1775 was a difficult year in England. "The American War of Independence (also known as the war between America and England) officially began on April 19, 1775, with the Battles of Lexington and Concord. The conflict lasted until 1783, resulting in the independence of the thirteen American colonies from British rule." [8]

Wesley even said that the "clouds are dark over England as well as over America. It is good that this summer passes without some showers of blood". [9] This is what he wrote to Thomas Rankin, on April 21, 1775.

After his cure, he denounced the declining state of commerce and the unemployment of thousands of people in England. To the Earl of Dartmouth, Secretary of State for the Colonies, on August 23, 1775, Wesley said: "Sir, I affirm from personal knowledge, from the testimony of my own eyes and ears, that there can be no more egregious falsehood than that which has been ascribed to them as truth. I affirm that in every part of England where I have been (and have been in the east, west, north, and south these two years) commerce in general is exceedingly decaying, and thousands of people are completely unemployed." [10] 

The colonists had placed trade sanctions on British goods, reducing imports from England by more than 90 percent.[11] 

However, some of his phrases that we put as titles to Wesley's letters reveal his resilience, faith, spirits, and remarkable leadership in 1775. 

He said: 

·       We must not despair of anything

·       Trust in the Lord and do good

·       That is our calling, to stand firm in glorious freedom

·       Prayer meetings can be of great use not only to individuals, but to the entire nation

·       I am glad to know that God's word prospers in your hands

·       I told them my plan to help them, which is this

·       Seize every opportunity

·       Be zealous and active for a good Master.

A story of Wesley's resilience, faith, and leadership in the midst of great hardship in 1775.

 

The Author 

 

 

1775, the year Wesley "conquered death"

 

We highlight some of Wesley's statements in his letters written in 1775.

Among them are:

Last month I was at death's door

To James Dempster, on July 28, 1775, Wesley said, "Last month I was at death's door. But God pleased at that moment to rebuke the fever, so that my pulse came back beating after it had ceased altogether. Since then I have been gradually regaining strength, and am now almost as well as before." [12] 

By God's blessing, I'm at least as well as I was before my recent illness 

To Mary Lewis, on July 28, 1775, Wesley stated, "By the blessing of God, I am at least as well as I was before my recent illness; and now I have recovered my strength, which has slowly returned since I went into the open air." [13] 

My strength is gradually increasing

To his brother Charles, on July 31, 1775, Wesley shared, "My strength is gradually increasing. Except for the trembling of my hand, I am now almost as I was before the disease, but I hope to be more determined to sell everything for the pearl." [14] 

I believe that my late illness has already answered many wise ends of Providence

To Damaris Perronet, on August 6, 1775, Wesley said, "I believe that my late illness has already answered many wise ends of Providence. It has been a blessing to me and to many others—a new proof that God does all well." [15] 

A few weeks ago, I was on the verge of death in the north of Ireland

To Thomas Rankin, on August 13, 1775, Wesley stated, "A few weeks ago, I was on the verge of death in the north of Ireland. But the fever felt His touch and fled. And now I am exactly as I was before it all happened." [16] 

The account given in our newspapers about my death was not entirely unfounded

To Thomas Rankin, on October 20, 1775, Wesley wrote, "The account given in our newspapers of my death was not altogether groundless; for I was not only not dead, my pulse utterly lost, and 'the wheel in the cistern motionless.' But then our Lord intervened, and fever overcame His touch and fled." [17] 

I am currently better than before the fever

To Samuel Bardsley, on November 27, 1775, Wesley said: "I am now better than before the fever; only it took my hair away."

In his letters, we find:

 

Unless something unforeseen gets in the way

 

I hope, with God's help, to be in Newbury on Thursday, March 2nd; and to be pleased to see you there, unless something unforeseen disturbs.

You've recently had a winter season in Watlington: now wait for spring to return. Watch out, you're not tired or weak in mind!

 

To Martha Chapman

LUTON, January 11, 1775.

MY DEAR SISTER,--I hope, with God's help, to be in Newbury on Thursday, March 2nd; and to have the pleasure of seeing you there, unless something unforeseen disturbs you.

You have lately had a winter season at Watlington: now expect the return of spring. Beware, you are not weary or weak in mind! Even bodily weakness may be for that; especially when there seems to be no increase, but rather a decay of God's work. But I fear you are still at liberty to leave Watlington.

Won't Hannah Ball go by for two or three days and light a flame between you? If she doesn't come, look for Someone greater than herself. How long can it be before you see another day.--I am, dear Patty,

With affection.

To Miss Patty Chapman, in Watlington,

Close to Tetsworth, Oxfordshire. [18]

 

Be Zealous and Active for a Good Master

 

Be zealous and active for a good Master, and you will see the fruit of his labor. But beware of Joseph Moore. If he falls in love, his usefulness

 

For Francis Wolfe

LUTON, January 11, 1775

MY DEAR BROTHER,--Be zealous and active for a good Master, and you will see the fruit of his labor. But beware of Joseph Moore. If he falls in love, his usefulness ends.

Ever since that madman took his office in Witney from Nancy Bolton, the Witney Society has been in decline; as the Wycombe Society would if you took Hannah Ball away from them. She has all the grace of Hannah, with more sense. Make sure she is employed full-time. You don't have another flower like that in all your gardens. Not even Patty Chapman equals her. --I am, with love to Sister Wolfe,

Your affectionate friend and brother. [19]

 

There's nothing better in heaven or on earth than love

 

And we know that there is nothing deeper, there is nothing better in heaven or on earth than love! There cannot be unless there is something greater than the God of love! So that we see clearly what we need to aim for.

 

To Elizabeth Ritchie

LONDON, January 17, 1775.

MY DEAREST BETSY,-- I beg you, if you love me, send me a minute account of what you are like both in body and mind. Some of the mystic writers do not choose to speak plainly; some do not know how. But, blessed be God, we have; And we know that there is nothing deeper, there is nothing better in heaven or on earth than love! There can be no unless there is something greater than the God of love! So that we may see clearly what we need to aim at. We see the prize and the way to it! Here is the height, here is the depth, of Christian experience! 'God is love; and he who dwells in love, dwells in God, and God in him.'

Mr. Fletcher has given us a wonderful insight into the different dispensations we are under. I believe that this difficult subject has never been put in such a clear light before. It seems that God raised him up for just that--

To vindicate eternal Providence

And to justify God's ways for man.

By limiting yourself to those who write with affection, your understanding will be opened and strengthened far more than reading a multiplicity of authors; at the same time, your heart will be enlarged and, I hope, more and more united to

With affection. [20]

 

It pleases God to continue my strength until now, and my disorder causes me little uneasiness

 

It pleases God to continue my strength so far, and my inconvenience causes me little uneasiness. I hope to be at Stroud (of Bristol), Monday, March 13; Tuesday, March 14, at Worcester; Thursday, March 16, Birmingham; Friday, March 17, Newcastle; Saturday, March 18, Macclesfield; Monday, March 20, Manchester; Tuesday, March 21, Northwich. Whether it will be more advisable than to go for Chester or Liverpool, I do not see clearly. Let us work while it is daylight

 

For Christopher Hopper

LONDON, February 1, 1775.

MY DEAR BROTHER,-- I am glad to hear so good an account of the preaching houses in Liverpool and Warrington. Indeed, it may be doubted whether we should contribute to those houses which are not peopled according to our plan.

It pleases God to continue my strength so far, and my inconvenience causes me little uneasiness. I hope to be at Stroud (of Bristol), Monday, March 13; Tuesday, March 14, at Worcester; Thursday, March 16, Birmingham; Friday, March 17, Newcastle; Saturday, March 18, Macclesfield; Monday, March 20, Manchester; Tuesday, March 21, Northwich. Whether it will be more advisable than to go on with Chester or Liverpool, I do not see clearly. Let us work while the day is.--I am, with affection to Sister Hopper,

Your affectionate friend and brother.

It certainly cannot be that you find in the Newcastle house a bill which John Fenwick has sent me, and that you must return it to him! [21]

 

Be a follower of her, even as she was of Christ

 

That lovely Saint Jane Cooper! There was the proper mixture of intellect and passion! I remember one of the last times I saw her, before the last illness, the look, the attitude, the words! My dear friend, be a follower of her, as she was of Christ.

 

To Miss March

February 11, 1775.

There seems to be in our excellent friend something very close to apathy. 'A clergyman,' said one (but I do not agree with him on this), 'must be all intellect, without passion.' She seems to be (I will not claim that she is) not far from it. It is true that by this we may avoid much pain, but we must also lose much happiness. Therefore this is a state which I cannot desire. Before you give me pleasure and pain also; be better

Simple life, with growing passions,

The advantage or the burden of an hour.

But who reached this Who walks the middle way, equally distant from both extremes, I will tell you, one who did (though the memory of her still brings me tears), that lovely saint Jane Cooper! There was the proper mixture of intellect and passion! I remember one of the last times I saw her, before the last illness, of the look, of the attitude, of the words! My dear friend, be a follower of her, as she was of Christ. [22]

 

Beware of Your Own Spirit

 

Beware of your own spirit! You bite like a bulldog; When you have a seizure, you never let go. I advise you to think no more of William Hunter; Go on your way as if he were under the earth

 

For Thomas Wride

LONDON, February 24, 1775.

DEAR TOMMY,-- Beware of your own spirit! You bite like a bulldog; When you have a seizure, you never let go. I advise you to think no more of William Hunter; Go on your way as if he were underground.

At a Quarterly Meeting, if the collection is only six pounds, and two preachers are present, they usually divide it among themselves. In this case, I do not say that they defraud a third preacher who is expected; but I do say that they act cruelly.

But you should tell me without fear or favor who neglected the round.

Some of the books I borrowed from Mr. Hammond I left at Waterford with someone who promised to return them directly. The other part promised to send from Dublin. I am ashamed of their vile negligence. I hope to be in Dublin next month; and I am, dear Tommy,

Your affectionate friend and brother. [23]

 

Now there is a probability that God will hear the prayer

 

There is now a probability that God will hear the prayer, and turn the advice of Ahithophel into foolishness. It is not improbable that peace will be restored between England and the Colonies. But surely the present doubtful situation may be improved for the benefit of many

 

To Thomas Rankin

LONDON, March 1, 1775.

DEAR TOMMY,-- I think the March package will do just as well as the April one; so I reply without delay.

As soon as possible, you should come to a full and clear explanation, both with Brother Asbury (if he is recovered) and with Jemmy Dempster. But I advise Brother Asbury to return to England at the first opportunity.

There is now a probability that God will hear the prayer, and turn Ahithophel's advice into foolishness. It is not improbable that peace will be restored between England and the Colonies. But surely the present doubtful situation may be improved for the benefit of many. They may be strongly urged now 'to break away their sins by repentance, if this be a prolongation of their tranquillity.' --I am, my dear Tommy,

Your affectionate friend and brother.

PS.--Tomorrow I intend to leave for Ireland.

I add a sentence to all preachers. [24]

 

You have never been in your lives in such a critical situation as you are now

 

You have never been in your lives in such a critical situation as the one you are in now. It is for you to be peacemakers, to be loving and affectionate with everyone, but not to be addicted to any party

 

LONDON, March 1, 1775.

MY DEAR BROTHERS,-- You have never been in your lives in such a critical situation as the one you are in now. It is for you to be peacemakers, to be loving and affectionate to all, but not to be addicted to any party. In spite of all requests, whether harsh or mild, do not say a word against one side or the other. Maintain purity, do all you can to help and smooth everything over; But beware of how you adopt another's pot.

See that you act in full union with each other: this is of the utmost importance. Not only that there is no bitterness or anger, but also timidity or coldness between you. Mark all those who would pit one of you against the other. Some of these will never be lacking. But do not give them any expression; it is better to expel them and drag them into the day of open doors.

The conduct of T. Rankin has been suited to the Methodist plan: I hope you will all follow in his footsteps. Let your eye be single. Be at peace with one another, and the God of peace will be with you.--I am, my dear brethren,

Your affectionate brother.

[Charles Wesley also wrote to Rankin.] [25]

 

I'm not on either side, and yet on both sides

 

As to public affairs, I want you to think the same way as I do. I am on neither side, and yet on both; on the New England and Old side

 

March 1, 1775.

MY DEAR BROTHER,-- To save expense, I have delayed replying to your letter; but I always keep you in my heart, and rejoice when the Lord blesses you successfully. He bestows grace, more grace, upon the humble; therefore, contend with Him for deep humility.

As to public affairs, I want you to think as I do. I am on neither side, and yet on both; on the New England and Old side. Private Christians are excused, exempt, privileged, not to take part in civil strife. We love all, and pray for all with a sincere and impartial love. There may be faults on both sides; but those which neither you nor I can remedy: therefore let us and all our children be given up to prayer, and so stand still, and see the salvation of God. My compliments to Captain Webb when they see him, and to Mr. Bowden, to whom I owe letters and much love. Show yours for me by praying more for me and mine. Yours in old love. [26]

 

Terrible inconveniences arose because of private interest rather than public interest

 

You know what terrible inconveniences have arisen because of the private rather than the public interest, of showing pets to private persons to the detriment of the general good. If this is done in the present case, it will be at your door, not mine; for I give full authority to send John Bredin back to his own home

 

To Joseph Benson

BRISTOL, March 12, 1775.

DEAR JOSEPH,-- I cannot trust John Bredin in the North more than in the South of Scotland. I see no other way for him but for Ireland. He must get back to his loom. I have received complaints from all sides. He must no longer bring a rebuke to the gospel. You must make the best possible turn with Brother Watkinson until more help comes.

You know what terrible inconveniences have arisen because of private rather than public interest, of showing pets to private persons to the detriment of the general good. If this be done in the present case, it will be at your door, not mine; for I give full authority to send John Bredin back to his own house. I think the sooner this is done, the better, for until he is thoroughly humbled, it will only be a hindrance to the work of God, and a hindrance to the people.--I am, dear Joseph,

Your affectionate friend and brother.

I hope to be in Manchester on the 20th of this month, and soon after in Dublin.

Oxfordshire. [27]

 

You just tell me in general that your health is getting worse

 

You only tell me in general that your health is deteriorating; but you do not say in what way or from what cause. When did you begin to feel any decline in health? In what way were you affected? What you imagined was due to How you have been since. What means of recovery have you used, and with what effect?

 

To Martha Chapman

WORCESTER, March 15, 1775.

MY DEAREST SISTER,-- You only tell me in general that your health is failing; but you do not say in what way or from what cause. When did you begin to feel any decline in health? In what way were you affected? What did you imagine was due to how you have been since. What means of recovery have you used, and to what effect? Write to me as specifically as you can on these points, addressing me in Dublin. It is our duty to take care of bodily health; but what is it for a healthy mind? Let your mind be

Only praise, all meekness and all love.

And for the rest it's the same for everyone. "I am, dear Patty,

With affection. [28]

 

Seize every opportunity

 

Now be instant in season and out of season! Rescue time! Take advantage of every opportunity. In the morning sow your seed, and in the evening do not relax your hand; and God will give the increase!

 

To Elizabeth Ritchie

NORTHWICH, March 23, 1775.

MY DEAR BETSY,-- I am glad you have had the opportunity to spend time in Leeds and with Miss Bosanquet. Bosanquet. This, I have no doubt, has been a blessed means of increasing your spiritual strength. And I trust that you will find more and more opportunities to use whatever strength you have, even in Otley. Wherever God's work revives, we are more particularly called to work together with Him. Now be instant in season and out of season! Rescue time! Take every opportunity. In the morning sow your seed, and in the evening relax not your hand; and God will give the increase!

In a day or two I hope to embark. Possibly in autumn we may meet again; and in the meantime I am convinced that you will not forget

With affection. [29]

 

And use what little strength you have for the glory of the One who gave it

 

But you did well to stop taking medicine. But still, you should use all the exercise you can, especially in the open air. And use the little strength you have for the glory of the One who gave it.

 

To Martha Chapman

DUBLIN, April 5, 1775.

MY DEAREST SISTER,-- The apothecary seems to have understood your case; But you have done well to refrain from taking medicine. But still, you should use all the exercise you can, especially in the open air. And use what little strength you have for the glory of Him who gave it. Warn and exhort all, if by any means you can save some.--I am, my dear Patty,

With affection.

To Miss Chapman, in Watlington,

Close to Nettlebed, Oxon. [30]

 

The clouds are black over England as well as America

 

The clouds are black over both England and America. It's a good thing this summer goes by without some showers of blood. And if the storm starts in America, it will soon spread to Britain

 

To Thomas Rankin

PORTARLINGTON, April 21, 1775.

DEAR TOMMY,-- I am glad there is such a good understanding between Jemmy Dempster and you. He is a man of integrity, and, unless I am greatly mistaken, a friend of both Methodist doctrine and discipline.

I am sorry for poor T--- R---. It is certain that God lifted up his head, and I hoped that his tormenting sin would no longer gain dominion over him. Yet you must by no means give him up. And he needs much more comfort than reproof. His great danger is despair.

Brother Asbury has sent me a few lines, and I thank him for them. But I do not advise him to go to Antigua. Let him go home without delay. If one or two robust and healthy young men would volunteer for this service, I should have no objection; but no one should go unless he was fully convinced in his own mind.

You are a bold man, Tommy, to begin to be an author in these critical times. I wish that success may meet your expectation; there is a call for all help. I fear you will soon find a day of judgment; the clouds are dark over England as well as over America. It is well that this summer should pass without some showers of blood. And if the storm should begin in America, it will soon spread to Britain.

I have a friendly letter from ---, who writes warmly against the ---. Please remember my love for him and his wife. I am glad to find that he is still walking the good old way. He sends me notice that one or two men of fortune have gone out to preach the gospel. If they are, I expect little from them. God has chosen the weak to confound the strong.

Keep going, doing and suffering the will of our Lord-- I am, dear Tommy,

Your affectionate friend and brother.

For Richard Morgan, Esq.,

No. 35 Stephen's Green, Dublin. [31]

 

To oppose the party spirit

 

This point I earnestly commend, both to Brother Rankin and to you and to all our preachers—by prayer, by exhortation, and by every possible means, to oppose the party spirit. This has always been, so far as it has prevailed, the plague of all true religion, especially when a country was in such a situation as the United States is now.

 

To James Dempster

BALLINROBE, May 19, 1775.

DEAR JEMMY,-- On this point I earnestly commend, both to Brother Rankin and to you and to all our preachers—by prayer, by exhortation, and by every possible means, to oppose the party spirit. This has always been, so far as it has prevailed, the plague of all true religion, especially when a country was in such a situation as the United States is now. No one but the God of Almighty Love can lead the poor people out of the trap. O what need you have to lay siege to His throne with all the power of prayer--I am, dear Jemmy,

With affection. [32]

 

I think silence in this case would be a sin against God

 

I would not speak, for it may seem that I am worrying about things outside my province. But I dare no longer abstain; I think silence in this case would be a sin against God, against my country, and against my own soul

 

To William Alwood

. To the Earl of Dartmouth, Secretary of State for the Colonies

ON THE WAY TO DUBLIN, June 14, 1775.

MY LORD,-- I would not speak, for it may seem that I am concerned about things outside my province. But I dare no longer abstain; I think silence in this case would be a sin against God, against my country, and against my own soul.

But what hope can I have of doing good, of making the slightest impression on your Lordship where so many have spoken in vain, and those far more qualified to speak on so delicate a subject

They were more qualified in some respects; in others they were not. They had no less prejudice in their minds; they were not free from worldly hopes and fears. Their passions were engaged; and how easily this blinds the eyes of the understanding! They were no longer impartial. Most of them were prejudiced in the highest degree. They loved neither the King nor his Ministers. In fact, they hated them with a perfect hatred. And your Lordship, knowing this, if you were a man, could not help having some prejudice against them; in that case it would hardly be possible to feel the full force of your arguments.

They had no better means of information, of knowing the true tempers and feelings, neither of the Americans on the one hand, nor of the English, Irish, and Scots on the other. Above all, they trusted in themselves, in their own power to convince and persuade. I trust only in the living God, who has the hearts of all men in His hand.

And whether my writing does any good or not, it need not do any harm. For it rests in your Lordship's breast if any eye but yours sees it.

All my prejudices are against Americans. For I am a High Churchman, the son of a High Churchman, brought up from childhood in the highest notions of passive obedience and non-resistance. And yet, notwithstanding all my deep-rooted prejudice, I cannot help thinking (if I think at all) that an oppressed people have asked for nothing but their legal rights, and that in the most modest and harmless way that the nature of the thing would permit.

But renouncing that, renouncing all considerations of right and wrong, I ask: Is it common sense to use force against Americans

A letter now before me reads: 'Four hundred of the Regulars and forty of the Militia were killed in the last engagement.' What a disproportion! And this is the first rehearsal of raw men against Regular troops!

You see, my Lord, whatever has been said, these men will not be afraid. And it seems that they will not be conquered as easily as was initially imagined. They will probably fight every inch of the ground, and if they die, they will die with sword in hand.

In fact, some of our valiant officers say, 'Two thousand men will cleanse America of these rebels.' No, neither twenty thousand, nor perhaps triple that number, whether they are rebels or not. They are men as strong as you; They are as brave as you, if not much more. For they are all enthusiasts—enthusiasts for freedom. They are calm, deliberate enthusiasts. And we know how this principle works

Inspire in the softest souls the love of war,

And thirst for vengeance, and contempt for death.

We know that men excited about this jump into the fire or advance into the mouth of a cannon.

'But they have no experience in war.' And how much more have our troops ever seen a battle! 'But they lack discipline.' That's a complete mistake. They already have almost as much as our army. And they're going to learn more about it every day. So in a short time, they'll understand it just like their aggressors.

'But they are divided, among themselves: so you are told by several letters and memorials.' Therefore I doubt whether poor Rehoboam was told about the ten tribes! Thus (nearer to our times) Philip was told about the people of the Low Countries! No, my Lord, they are terribly united; not only in the Province of New England, but as low as the Jerseys and Pennsylvania, the greater part of the people are so united that to utter a word in favour of the present English measures would almost endanger a man's life. Those who inform me of this (one of whom was with me last week, lately came from Philadelphia) are not flatterers; they say nothing to please the favour; they have nothing to gain or lose with me. But they speak with sorrow in their hearts what they have seen with their eyes, and heard with their own ears.

These men think that each and all, right or wrong, are advocating pro aris et focis, for their wives, children, liberty! What an advantage they have over men who fight only for payment! None of them care in the least for the cause in which they are engaged, most strongly disapprove of the cause.

They have no other considerable advantage There is reason to recruit troops Their supplies are at their disposal, all around: Ours are three thousand miles distant.

Have we then succeeded in winning over the Americans? Suppose they stand alone? Suppose all our neighbors stand by and leave us to fight, but are we sure of that? Are we sure all our neighbors will stand still? I doubt they haven't promised it. And if they had, we could trust those promises

Yet they are not likely to send ships or men to America. Is there not a shortest way? Do they not know where England and Ireland are? And have they not troops and ships ready? All Europe is well informed of this; the English alone know nothing about it! And if they find means of landing only ten thousand men, where are the troops in England or Ireland to oppose? Why, by slitting the throats of their brethren in America! Poor England meanwhile!

'But we have our militia, our brave and disciplined militia; these will effectively oppose them.' Allow me, my Lord, to relate a little circumstance which one of them informed me on the spot. In 1776 a large contingent of militia was marching towards Preston against the rebels. In a grove through which they were marching, a boy fired his hunting pellet. The soldiers gave up all and by common consent laid down their arms and fled for their lives. So much dependence will be placed on our valiant militia!

But, my Lord, that is not all. We have thousands of enemies, perhaps more dangerous than the French or the Spanish. They are already on land; they fill our towns, our towns, our villages. As I travel four or five thousand miles every year, I have the opportunity of conversing freely with more persons of all denominations than any other person in the three kingdoms. I cannot, therefore, fail to know the general disposition of the people, English, Scottish, and Irish; and I know that the great majority of them are exasperated almost to madness. Just so they were all over England and Scotland about the year 1640; and largely by the same means—by fiery articles, which were circulated, as they are today, with the utmost diligence in every corner of the country. Thus the greater part of the people were effectually cured of all love and reverence for the king; so, first despising him, then hating him, they were ready for an open rebellion. And I assure you that they are now: they want nothing but a leader.

Two more circumstances deserve to be considered: that at that time there was a general decline of trade almost throughout the kingdom; the other was that there was an unusual costly of provisions. The case is the same in both respects to this day. So that, even now, there are multitudes of people who, with nothing to do and nothing to eat, are ready for the first throw; and who, without investigating the merits of the cause, would crowd in with anyone who gave them bread.

On the whole, I am sometimes really afraid that 'this evil is of the Lord.' When I consider (to say nothing of ten thousand other vices shocking to human nature) the impressive luxury of the rich and the profanity of rich and poor, I doubt whether the general dissolution of customs does not require a general visit. Perhaps the decree has already been issued by the Governor of the world. Perhaps even now,

As one who buys raises a piece of land,

So the destroying angel measures it around that.

Calm down, he watches the nation in extinction,

Ruin behind him prowls and empty desolation.

But we Englishmen are too wise to acknowledge that God has anything to do with the world! Otherwise, we must not seek Him by fasting and prayer before He drops the raised thunder, O my Lord, if Your Lordship can do anything, let it not be lacking! For God's sake, for the sake of the King, the nation, your lovely family, remember Rehoboam! Remember Philip II! Remember King Charles I--I am, with true respect, my Lord,

Obedient servant of Your Lordship. [33]

Note: The same letter Wesley sent to Lord North, First Lord of the Treasury, on June 15, 1775. [34]

 

Totally unsuitable for a Methodist preacher

 

 Such a worded beam (under any provocation) is wholly unsuitable for a Methodist preacher. Such basic language is a pity for the fishmongers of Billingsgate. It is something an archangel would not use to the devil. You must have left it for ever if you want to have more acquaintance with John Wesley

 

For Thomas Wride

DUBLIN, July 22, 1775.

The present issue does not concern John Floyd, but Thomas Wride.

The words I heard you say in Limerick were such that no civilized Turk or heathen would have allowed it to come out of your mouth. I had hoped that this would be the last time; but now you repeat the same in cold blood. Your letter was read at the Conference, and our brethren have asked me to inform you that you are no longer fit for our Connection. Such a worded beam (under any provocation) is wholly unfit for a Methodist preacher. Such basic language is a pity for the fishmongers of Billingsgate. It is something an archangel would not use to the devil. You must have left it for ever if you want to have more acquaintance with John Wesley. [35]

 

That is our calling, to stand firm in glorious freedom

 

Surely this is our calling, to stand firm in glorious freedom, whatever God wants to give or take away. We can feel, and yet renounce, like the Marquis de Renty when he apprehended that his wife was dying. And this is a proof, not of a lack of affection, but of an affection that is well pleasing to God

 

For Hannah Ball

LEEDS, July 28, 1775.

MY DEAR SISTER,-- Surely this is our calling, to stand firm in glorious freedom, whatever God wants to give or take away. We may feel, and yet renounce, as the Marquis de Renty did when he learned that his wife was dying. And this is a proof, not of a lack of affection, but of an affection that is well pleasing to God.

Now you will need to use double diligence to awaken the gift of God in those who have been hindered from heeding His word, lest they be faint in mind.--I am, my dear sister, your affectionate brother. [36]

 

Last month I was at death's door

 

Last month I was at death's door. But God pleased me at that moment to rebuke the fever, so my pulse started beating again after it had ceased altogether. Since then I have been gradually regaining strength, and now I am almost as well as before

 

To James Dempster

NEAR LEEDS, JULY 28, 1775.

DEAR JEMMY,-- Last month I was at death's door. But God pleased at that moment to rebuke the fever, so my pulse came back to beat after it had ceased altogether. Since then, I have been gradually regaining strength, and now I am almost as well as before. Let us use the short residue of life for the glory of Him who gave it-- I am

With affection. [37]

 

Always accept advice or rebukes as a favor

 

Always take counsel or rebuke as a favor; It is the surest mark of love. I have advised you once, and you have taken it as an affront; yet I will do it once more. Cry out no more, at the peril of your soul. God now warns you by me, whom He has put upon you. Speak as earnestly as you can, but do not shout

 

For John King

NEAR LEEDS, JULY 28, 1775.

MY DEAR BROTHER,-- Always accept counsel or rebuke as a favor; It is the surest mark of love.

I advised you once, and you took it as an affront; however, I will do so once more.

Cry no more, at the peril of your soul. God now warns you by me, whom He has set over you. Speak as earnestly as you can, but do not cry out. Speak with all your heart, but with a moderate voice. It was said of our Lord, 'He shall not cry out'; the word properly means, He shall not cry out. Here be my follower, even as I am Christ's. I often speak loudly, often vehemently; but I never cry out, never exert myself. I dare not; I know it would be a sin against God and against my own soul. Perhaps one of the reasons why that good man Thomas Walsh, yes, and John Manners too, were in such deep darkness before they died was because they shortened their own lives.

O John, pray for an advisable and teachable temper! By nature you are very far from it; you are stubborn and stubborn. Your last letter was written in a very wrong spirit. If you cannot take advice from others, you can certainly follow from

Your affectionate brother. [38]

 

By God's blessing, I'm at least as well as I was before my recent illness

 

By the blessing of God, I am at least as well as I was before my recent illness; and now I have regained my strength, which has slowly returned since I entered the open air

 

To Mary Lewis

NEAR LEEDS, JULY 28, 1775.

MY DEAR SISTER,-- By the blessing of God, I am at least as well as I was before my recent illness; and now I have regained my strength, which has slowly returned since I entered the open air.

Your full employment has been a means of protecting you from a thousand pitfalls. Young men who have little to do are in greater danger than all others. But in all your affairs you can hold fast to this point—'One thing I do': I love God; I serve God; I myself take care of my salvation. What else on earth is worth thinking about, everything beyond that, goes away like a dream.

As many of our brethren wished that Mr. Muffin might spend another year at Bristol, Mr. Saunderson could not be there next year, if only for that reason. Two preachers never stay two years together in the same place, unless one of them is supernumerary. But I doubt whether your late behaviour is another objection; for I am afraid the remarks you make on this are too well founded.

Your letters are never too long. I have more letters to write than you; therefore, mine are shorter.

Stay close to the One who loves you, and soon He will make you part of your hope. All is ready--I am, my dear Molly,

With affection.

To Miss Lewis. at Mr. Flower's house, in Key, Bristol. [39]

 

My strength is gradually increasing

.

My strength is gradually increasing. Except for the trembling of my hand, I am now almost as I was before the illness, but I hope to be more determined to sell everything for the pearl

 

To his brother Carlos

LEEDS, July 31, 1775.

DEAR BROTHER,--I shall not delay in answering your important question, 'What can be done with William Pine?' If he still, after my earnest warning, 'every week publishes brazen treason,' I ask you to warn him once more in my name and in his own; And if he offends or forgets that warning, then give him the choice of leaving us quietly or being publicly disinherited. At such a time as this, when our foreign enemies loom over us and our own nation is in purge, it is particularly improper to utter a word which tends to inflame the minds of the people.

My strength is gradually increasing. Except for the trembling of my hand, I am now almost as I was before the illness, but I hope to be more determined to sell everything for the pearl.

Peace be with you and yours! Goodbye! [40]

 

I'm as strong as I was when it started

 

The (blessed) Conference concluded this morning, and I am as strong as I was when it began. I do not advise you to accept the invitation: I read a letter today that I did not like.

 

To your brother Charles

LEEDS, August 4, 1775.

DEAR BROTHER,-- The (blessed) Conference concluded this morning, and I am as strong as I was when it began. I do not advise you to accept the invitation: I read a letter today that I did not like.

No, Mr. Saunderson is 'settled in Bristol' — that is, as a local preacher.

Such a Speech to the Americans would be very fitting. You heard something about the Africans

I hope to be in London on Tuesday evening and on Thursday of the following week in Brecon.

As things now stand, I left the Orphans' Home alone, that the medicine might not be worse than the disease. I also have a good letter from T. Rankin. He and all our brethren expect suffering. So far they have behaved extremely well. I must write by post to Sister Castleman and my other Bristol friends. Peace be upon you and yours! Farewell! [41]

 

 Someone who has nothing to do but save their own soul and those who listen to you

 

Now you are called more than ever to redeem time, to walk humbly and close to God; and to be a man of one business. One who has nothing to do but save his own soul and those who listen to you

 

For Thomas Vasey

NEAR LEEDS, AUGUST 5, 1775.

MY DEAR BROTHER,--I trust that you will not fall into madness again, but see and pray that you will not fall into temptation.

Mr. Wolfe, assistant at the Salisbury circuit, is a kind, caring hearted man. I hope he will be of service to you, as Mr. Undrell may be your other fellow-worker. Now you are called more than ever to redeem time, to walk humbly and near to God; and to be a man of one business. One who has nothing to do but save his own soul and those who listen to you.--I am

Your affectionate brother.

To Mr. Tho. Vasey, in the preaching house, Sarum. [42]

 

I believe that my late illness has already answered many wise ends of Providence

 

I believe that my late illness has already responded to many wise ends of Providence. It has been a blessing to me and to many others—a new proof that God does everything well

 

To Damaris Perronet

NEAR LEEDS, AUGUST 6, 1775.

MY DEAR SISTER,-- I believe that my late illness has already answered many wise ends of Providence. It has been a blessing to me and to many others—a new proof that God does everything well.

I doubt not, but Brother Wood and his fellow-labourer will still be zealous and active for God; and, if so, their work will certainly increase at Sevenoaks and Wells, as well as elsewhere. No, I do not despair of poor Canterbury; it is not beyond the reach of God.

I dreamed last night that the Spaniards had come, and were searching all the houses and torturing men. But suddenly they disappeared from the earth, I could not tell how. My Betsy should not think that I am so busy as to have no free time to read and answer your letters. I think Philothea too, since I am alive again, should have written to me in verse or prose. "I am, my dear sister,

Your affectionate brother. [43]

 

It's not safe to live or die without love

 

I believe it will be best to accept Mr. Castleman's invitation in Bristol, and go straight to his house. I return by Cardiff; if I can get there, I could bring him home. It is not safe to live or die without love

 

To your brother Charles

LONDON, August 10, 1775.

DEAR BROTHER,-- I would do everything to please those on each side, except speak ill of the other.

My route is this: Monday, August 14, Witney; Tuesday, the 15th, Gloucester; Wednesday, the 16th, The Hay; Thursday and Friday, Brecon; Saturday, Carmarthen (Deo vo/.); Monday, the 28th, Bristol.

I sent your request to Sam. Heaton.

I believe it will be best to accept Mr. Castleman's invitation in Bristol, and go straight to his house. I go back through Cardiff; if I can get there, I could bring him home. It is not safe to live or die without love.

Peace be with you all! Goodbye.

I would like Sammy Lewis to meet me on the 28th at the Old Passage. [44]

 

A few weeks ago, I was on the verge of death in the north of Ireland

 

A few weeks ago, I was on the verge of death in the north of Ireland. But the fever felt His touch and fled. And now I'm exactly as I was before it all happened

 

To Thomas Rankin

LONDON, August 13, 1775.

DEAR TOMMY,--I still don't give up---- R---- yet; he's not out of God's reach.

I do not regret that Brother Asbury stays with you another year. In that time it will be seen what God will do with North America, and you will easily judge whether our preachers are called to remain there any longer. If they are, God will make their way clear, and give you favor even with men who delight in war. Even in the Roman Civil War, Atticus held firm the esteem of both parties to the conflict. And the Archbishop of Cambray did so during the War in the Low Countries; not only the officers, but also the common soldiers, as they passed, treated him with love and consideration. The clouds do indeed gather more and more, and it seems as if a heavy storm is going to follow; it certainly will, unless the prayers of the faithful get a longer relief.

'The preachers at the bottom of all this clamor' No, indeed; neither are any of the Americans. They are but tools of the men on this side of the water, who use them for mortal ends. The plan is deep, and the wise men of the world imagine that it cannot fail in success. But I trust that One wiser than themselves will yet turn Atithophel's advice into foolishness.

A few weeks ago I was on the verge of death in the north of Ireland. But the fever felt His touch and fled. And now I am just as I was before it all happened. You have done well to take the books to a safe place, if any such can be found in America. No wonder that the spirits of men who do not know God are whipped to madness, that human creatures become and begin to be lions and bears; This is the true fruit of war! Surely, if they chase in one city, you must flee to another. Peace be upon your spirits.--I am

Your affectionate friend and brother. [45]

 

Be quiet 'til I die

 

When you don't write, you should travel. I think the sooner, the better. Be quiet until I die, and you can be quiet forever

 

For John Fletcher

BRECON, August 18, 1775.

DEAR LORD,-- We followed his counsel, and were more accurate than ever in examining the preachers, both as to grace and gifts. A solemn astonishment spread throughout the assembly, knowing that God was in our midst. And the consequence was far beyond what we could have expected—namely, a mutual confidence and a full conviction that the cry raised by Mr. Hilton and others was wholly groundless.

I have now received all your papers, and here and there I have made a few minor corrections. I suppose you have read the Letters of Dean Tucker to Dr. Kippis. I have read them on my journey from Gloucester there, and never before have I seen so clearly the rise and progress of Predestinarianism. It does not demonstrate, without any contradiction, that it was plotted by Augustine in spite of Pelagius (who very probably had no other heresy than you and I have now); that it spread more and more in the Western Church until the eleventh century; that Peter Lombard then formed it into a complete system; that in the twelfth century Thomas Aquinas devoted much effort to explaining and confirming it; that in the thirteenth century Duns Scotus did the same; that Ignatius Loyola and all the early Jesuits held it up, as all the Dominican and Augustinian friars (with the Jansenists) do to this day; that Bellarmine was firm in it, as were most Romanists, until the Council of Trent, when, in furious opposition to Luther and Calvin, they denied their old principles.

When you don't write, you should travel. I think the sooner, the better. Be quiet until I die, and you can be quiet forever.

I do not perceive that you have conceded too much, or that there is any difference between us. The Address to the Perfect I approve of the majority, and I think it will have a good effect. But there may be some risk of growing too much, for then the work will fall into fewer hands.

The doctrine of Justification and Salvation by Faith is severely abused by many Methodists. We must protect as much as possible.--I am, dear sir,

Your affectionate friend and brother. [46]

 

Commerce in general is extremely decadent and thousands of people are completely unemployed

 

Sir, I affirm from personal knowledge, from the testimony of my own eyes and ears, that there can be no more egregious falsehood than that which has been ascribed to them as truth. I affirm that in every part of England where I have been (and have been to the east, west, north, and south these two years) commerce in general is exceedingly decaying, and thousands of persons are altogether unemployed

 

To the Earl of Dartmouth, Secretary of State for the Colonies

HAVERFORDWEST, August 23, 1775.

MY LORD,-- A letter I received yesterday from Mr. Lowland is reason for my causing you this trouble. You told him that the Administration was assured from all parts of the kingdom that trade was as plentiful and flourishing as ever, and that the people were as well employed and satisfied.

Sir, I affirm from personal knowledge, from the testimony of my own eyes and ears, that there can be no more egregious falsehood than that which has been ascribed to them as truth. I affirm that in every part of England where I have been (and have been east, west, north, and south these two years) commerce in general is exceedingly decaying, and thousands of persons are altogether unemployed. Some I know have died for want of bread; others I have seen crawling up and down like walking shadows. Except three or four manufacturing towns, which have suffered less than others.

I assert (2) that the people at large throughout the nation are so far from being well satisfied that they are far more deeply dissatisfied than they seem to have been even a year or two before the Great Rebellion, and far more dangerously dissatisfied. The greater part of the people in every city, town, and village where I have been do not so much at the Ministry, as they used to do in the last century, but at the King himself. He is the object of their anger, contempt, and wickedness. They deeply despise His Majesty, and hate Him with a perfect hatred. They want to imbue their hands with His blood; they are filled with the spirit of murder and rebellion; and I am convinced that, if any occasion should arise, thousands would be ready to act as they now speak. It is the most I can do, and sometimes more than I can do, to prevent this plague from infecting my own friends. And nineteen or twenty to whom I speak in behalf of the King seem never to have heard a word about him before. I marvel at the wretches who abuse the Ministry's credulity by these flowery reports.

Even where I was last in the West Riding of Yorkshire, a tenant of Lord Dartmouth said to me,

'Sir, our merchants are breaking up around me, so that I know not what the end will be.' Even in Leeds I had arranged to dine at a merchant; but before I arrived the bailiffs were already in possession of the house. On I said, 'I thought Mr. ---- was in good circumstances,' I was answered, 'He was; but the American war ruined him.'

When I began to write, I intended to send it to Mr. Wharton, as he wished. But on reflection, I thought it unlikely that he would make a bad use of it; and I thought it would be more advisable to send it directly to your Lordship. [47]

 

Trust in the Lord and do good 

 

Trust in the Lord, and do good; so shall thou dwell in the land, and indeed thou shalt be fed. 

 

For Samuel Bradburn

LAUNCESTON, August 31, 1775.

DEAR SAMMY,-- Trust in the Lord and do good; so you will dwell in the land, and indeed you will be fed.

With affection.

Bradburn replied:

REVEREND AND DEAR LORD,-- I have often been struck by the beauty of the passage of Scripture quoted in your letter, but I must confess that I have never seen such helpful explanatory notes on it before. --I am, reverend and dear sir, your obedient and grateful servant,

S. BRADBURN. [48]

 

I told them my plan to help them, which is this

 

I wrote to Mr. Harrison, Hume, and Brooks on the Island, and told them my plan to help them, which is this. Go directly to the Whitehaven Circuit to work there as the third preacher. Then let the three preachers visit the Island in turns, each staying one month at a time.

 

To John Crook

BRISTOL, September 22, 1775.

MY DEAR BROTHER,-- I have written to Mr. Harrison, Hume, and Brooks on the Island, and told them my plan to help them, which is this. Go directly to the White-haven Circuit to work there as the third preacher. Then let the three preachers visit the Island by turns, each staying a month at a time. If the Bishop comes, you shall immediately send to him in my name the First Part of the Earnest Appeal; and you spread among the wealthiest in the Society the Plain Account of the Methodists and the Council to the Methodists, with all the individual Sermons. Let Mr. Mason pass first, and you then. You see, in your [case] your wife is considered.

Your affectionate brother.

You can write to Jacob Rowell in Yarm and say that I want the young man of whom he wrote to me to go to Lincolnshire in your place. The sooner the better.

Mr. Mason, in Whitehaven.

Being Dropped Off at the Methodist

Preaching house, Cumberland. [49]

 

I rejoice to know that God has made Mr. Crook's labor of love profitable for some of you

 

I rejoice to know that God has made Mr. Crook's labor of love profitable to some of you, and I cannot blame you for wishing to have him with you a while longer

 

For Alexander Hume

BRISTOL, September 22, 1775.

MY DEAR BROTHER,--I rejoice to know that God has made Mr. Crook's labor of love profitable to some of you, and I cannot blame you for wishing to have him with you a little longer.' I will write to Mr. Mason, the assistant at Whitehaven, that Mr. Crook is coming to be the third preacher in this circuit. The three preachers will then be able to visit the Island month by month; so that you will have Mr. Crook one month out of three. They will all teach that religion is holy tempers and holy lives, and that the sum of it all is love.--I am

Your affectionate brother.

To Mr. Alexander Hume, in Peeltown,

Isle of Man. [50]

 

May the Lord give you right judgment in all things

 

May the Lord give you right judgment in all things, and may you always rejoice in His holy comfort--I am, dear sir

 

For John Fletcher

LONDON, October 6, 1775.

DEAR SIR,-- I came here a quarter of an hour ago. Your answer to Mr. Shirley, I hope, will be very helpful. I cannot help hoping that it will be useful to him; for, to be honest, he does not seem to be conscious that he has done anything wrong. He does not seem to have the slightest notion of having injured me. I was going to print an edition of your letters here; but I will wait until your Sixth Letter arrives, to which I think it will be exceedingly proper to enclose that you have written me. I shall now be here and about here for a few months. May the Lord give you right judgment in all things, and may you always rejoice in His holy comfort--I am, dear sir,

With all the affection. [51]

 

We must not despair of anything

 

It takes time to put people in their place; but we must not despair of anything. I threw my bread into the waters, and I should have been satisfied even if there were no fruit present

 

To your brother Charles

RAMSBURY PARK, October 17, 1775.

DEAR BROTHER,-- It takes time to put people in their place; but we must not despair of anything. I have thrown my bread into the waters, and should have been satisfied even if there were no fruit present. A few hours this morning I devote to 'Americanus'. What is relevant, I will try to answer. It is well if I can give as good an account of everything else as of my change of judgment.

I see now a danger of a new kind—the danger of losing my love for the Americans: I mean for their wretched leaders; for the poor sheep are 'more sins than sins,' especially since the incredible information I have received from James Ireland. Yet it is certain that the greater part of the people, both in England and America, have no intention of doing harm; they merely follow their leaders and do what they are commanded without knowing why or why.

On Friday I hope to be in London and talk to the committee about building a new Foundation. This is a lovely place and a lovely family. It's a shame, but you can call here. It's four miles from Marlborough, and only a mile north of the London road. Peace be with you and yours! Goodbye! [52]

 

I think I've already grabbed the thread and I can unravel everything

 

Where is the mistake? The reply to my recent treatise is dated 2 October. But I left Bristol on 1 October. Consequently, such a conversation could not exist. I think I have already grasped the thread and can unravel it all

 

To your brother Charles

NEWBURY, October 19, 1775.

DEAR BROTHER,-- Last night I received a curious anecdote from Mr. Merchant, the independent minister here. He said to me, 'Mr. Evans of Bristol (the elder) informed me that he dined with you (J. W.) at a merchant's house in Bristol; that he asked how you were affected on reading the answer to your recent treatise: and you replied, Not at all; for you had never read it, and never would read it: to which he replied, That was not fair.'

Where is the error? The reply to my recent treatise is dated October 2nd. But I left Bristol on October 1st. Consequently, such a conversation could not exist. I think I have already grasped the thread, and can unravel it all. Last year a gentleman whom I did not know (who I suppose to be Mr. Evans) dined with me at Mr. Wraxall's; and probably he could talk to me (though I do not remember) about some treatise I had then published. If so, there is only a harmless mistake of Mr. Merchant, who misunderstood what Mr. Evans said.

But this makes it all the more probable that your son will be the author of the letter to me. What a pity! Some of our friends in Bristol should tell him that he has lost himself altogether; that he has forgotten all decency and good manners, and writes like an arrogant and conceited young man. I think a sensible man who could control his temper would put him a little to shame. Good-bye! [53]

 

The account given in our newspapers about my death was not entirely unfounded

 

The account given in our newspapers of my death was not altogether unfounded; for I was not just dead, my pulse utterly lost, and 'the wheel in the cistern motionless.' But then our Lord intervened, and fever overcame His touch and fled.

 

To Thomas Rankin

LONDON, October 20, 1775.

DEAR TOMMY,-- The account given in our newspapers of my death was not altogether unfounded; for I was not just dead, my pulse utterly lost, and 'the wheel in the cistern motionless.' But then our Lord intervened, and fever overcame His touch and fled.

My strength has quickly returned; and I am now at least as well as before my illness.

In rural places, I believe you will have the greatest harvest, where they know little and talk little about politics. Their hearts are occupied with something better, and they let the dead bury their dead. I am glad you go to North Carolina; and why not to South Carolina also? I fear that these provinces would bear much fruit, since most of them are fresh and unbroken ground: And as the people are farther away from the noise of war, they may be more susceptible to the gospel of peace.

A paper was sent to me recently, caused by the troubles in America; but it would do no good. It is abundantly too acidic; and nothing of the kind will be of any use now. All the parties are already too sharp against each other; we must put water, not oil, into the flame. I had written a little treatise on the subject before I learned that the American ports were closed. [A Calm Address to our American Colonies. ' As the ports were justly closed by the Americans, I could not send it overseas, as I had planned. However, it was not lost; in a few months, fifty or perhaps a hundred thousand copies, in newspapers and elsewhere, were scattered over Great Britain and Ireland.' See Green's Bibliography, No. 305.] I do not think there is a firm word on it; I did not plan that it should. Yet many are exceedingly irritated, and would like to burn me and her together. It is provocative indeed; I suppose more than forty thousand of them were printed in three weeks, and yet the demand for them remains as great as ever.

I was glad to receive yours from Captain Crawford. I am in complete agreement with you. I am convinced that love and tender measures will do much more than violence. And if I have an interview with a great man (which does not seem unlikely), I will say so by the grace of God without circumlocution. Our time is in God's hands; we will be ready for anything--- I am, dear Tommy,

Your affectionate friend and brother. [54]

 

We will help you (as said) with the cost

 

I would like this to be done without delay; and I very much approve of the method you propose. We will help you (as I said) with the cost. I hope you will be able to provide the meeting-house

 

For Jasper Winscom

LONDON, October 20, 1775.

DEAR BROTHER,-- I would have no objection to Brother Skinner's entry into Kent, but it would interfere with our making a fair judgment of the Isle of Wight. I would like this to be done without delay; and I very much approve of the method you propose. We will help you (as I said) with the cost. I hope you can provide the meeting-house. Peace be upon you and yours." "I am

Your affectionate friend and brother. [55]

 

I'm just putting in the press 'a new edition of the Speech, corrected'

 

I am merely putting in the press 'a new edition of the Speech, corrected'; in which my amendment is accounted for, and two of the questions fully answered to the third, 'Why did Parliament not tax them sooner' from Mr. Madan answers, 'Because they were wiser; they knew of the mischief that was to take place.'

 

DEAR BROTHER,-- I have just returned from Bedford. I have not seen the King for twelve years. I do not know what you mean by Dr. Smyth's book. It was better not to pay attention to the angry ones.

In Ramsbury Park, about a mile to the left of the main road, lives James Nind, local preacher and steward general of the circuit, on a farm of five hundred pounds a year. His wife, Sally Nind, is one of the kindest women I know. They very much wish you would spend a few evenings with them.

I am merely putting in press 'a new edition of the Speech, corrected'; in which my amendment is accounted for, and two of the questions fully answered to the third, 'Why did Parliament not tax them sooner' Mr. Madan replies, 'Because they were wiser; they knew of the mischief that was to come.' Dr. Johnson is in France.

I haven't heard from Shoreham lately. If the worst happens, you need to prepare at the Foundry for a week or two. I can set up another bed in what was Jenny's room.

I don't think you're wise to destroy these papers. Some of them could have been useful to many.

When I was in Bristol, I ordered Hugh Saunderson to preach on Thursday evening. No one but you should take your place. Joseph Pilmoor may preach on Friday or Monday. Some are very fond, others dislike H. Saunderson very much; but his audience is generally not small. Yet I will refer it to you; but I would like you to fix Thursday.

Mr. Fletcher would not be safe without you or me. I would like a meeting with Mr. Madan. I have a second friendly letter from him today. Peace be with you and yours! Farewell!

Please send a hug to T. Lewis and tell him I thank you for the letter. If the people now imprisoned are hanged, it could be the salvation of the nation. [56]

 

I am glad to know that God's word prospers in your hands

 

I'm glad to know that God's word prospers in your hands. But you'll never see the full fruit of your labor until you pick up your cross and visit the entire Company, rich and poor, from house to house

 

To Joseph Benson

LONDON, October 30, 1775.

DEAR JOSEPH,-- John Fenwick has sent me a minute account of how Miss Hurrell has been able to speak in the room at Sunderland; and Alexander Paterson has given me a private account of what took place on Sunday, the 22nd of the present today. It seems—at least this is clear—that it has no further place at Sunderland; and I doubt we cannot add, nor anywhere in the Newcastle Circuit.

I'm glad to know that God's word prospers in your hands. But you'll never see the full fruit of your labor until you pick up your cross and visit the entire Company, rich and poor, from house to house. "I am, dear Joseph,

With affection. [57]

 

One of the noblest medicines in the world

 

I advise you and Sister Taylor to eat breakfast for three or four weeks with nettle tea. Then you will see preaching, especially in the morning, one of the noblest medicines in the world

 

For Thomas Taylor

LONDON, October 30, 1775.

DEAR TOMMY,-- At all costs, put them under discipline; either mend them or do them away. I think Mr. Cayley will do more good than harm. He is no longer guilty in regard to his wife. She will not live with him. I will have no objection to your mentioning the Colne house if we live to see another Conference. It seems to be a really urgent case.

I advise: (1) Be electrified (if necessary) eight or ten times. (2) Keep your body always open, and that with food (roasted, boiled, or roasted) and not by medicine. (3) Wash your head every morning with cold water, and rub well with a thick hemp towel. (4) I advise you and Sister Taylor to eat breakfast for three or four weeks with nettle tea. Then you will see preaching, especially in the morning, one of the noblest medicines in the world. "Affectionate to the nurse, dear Tommy,

Your affectionate friend and brother. [58]

 

Everywhere do not forsake declaring to them the whole counsel of God

 

Everywhere do not fail to declare to them the whole counsel of God, and that in the clearest way you can conceive; but, above all, visit from house to house

 

For John Mason

LONDON, November 1, 1775.

MY DEAR BROTHER,--T. Wride aimed at an exceptionally good discipline for a pure beginner. But he could not have so much weight as an experienced preacher. You will therefore furnish what was lacking in his, and Brother Linnell will more than replace the honest and monotonous David Evans. Thus I hope there will be a not inconsiderable increase in the Societies this year, especially at Whitehaven and Carlisle. Everywhere do not fail to declare to them the whole counsel of God, and that in the clearest way they can conceive; but, above all, visit from house to house. "I am

Your affectionate friend and brother. [59]

 

How shockingly ignorant our lawyers of the law are 

 

'Why were they not taxed for a hundred and fifty years' How shockingly ignorant are our lawyers of the law! yes, and the whole body of the Lords and the Commons in the agreement! to let Lord Chatham, Mr. Burke, etc.&c., triumph so long in this argumentum palmarium! Why, it is a mistake from top to bottom 

 

To your brother Charles

LONDON, November 3, 1775.

DEAR BROTHER,-- The Proposals and the Preface will be sent on Monday. In the Preface to the new edition of the Discourse (which I will send along with the Proposals) there is, I believe, a sufficient answer to Mr. Evan's letter. But Mr. Raikes is right: if it has no name, it has no title for any answer.

No one is a good judge in his own cause. I believe myself to be reasonably impartial; but you are not (at least, you were not some time ago) in relation to King Charles I. Come see what I say. If the worst comes to pass, we can agree to disagree.

The History has been in print for some time. The first volume is almost printed. The paper is good; so is the type; and, stranger, the execution too. Farewell to your first letter.

Still, I do not know whom you mean by Dr. Smyth; unless it be the young clergyman in Ireland, who is a poet, but not of the first magnitude.

'Why have they not been taxed for a hundred and fifty years' How shockingly ignorant are our lawyers of the law! yes, and the whole body of Lords and Commons in agreement! to let Lord Chatham, Mr. Burke, etc.&c., triumph so long in this argumentum palmarium! Why, it is a mistake from top to bottom. They have been taxed repeatedly since the Restoration, by King Charles, King William, Queen Anne, and George II.

I think Mr. Madan is more and more affectionate. Res ipsa jam reduxit in gratiam. I shall be very glad to see you. I do not receive news from Cornwall; and no news, you know, is good news.

Please tell Brother Southcote that I am very fond of his treatise. I am writing something almost on the subject. He asks me to preach at Bethnal Green Church on Sunday evening, and I intend to print my sermon. You can imagine a little of the tone from the text: 'Behold, I have sinned and done wickedness; but these sheep, what have they done?'

I hope Sally gets better. Peace be with you all! Goodbye! [60]

 

I say that I don't remember anything about this book, neither the title nor the script

 

I say that I do not remember anything of this book, neither the title nor the script. But I will send it to the bookseller tomorrow to pick up the book; and if I have read it, I cannot help remembering it when I see it again

 

For James Rouquet

LONDON, November 8, 1775.

DEAR JEMMY,-- I say that I do not remember anything of this book, neither the title nor the script. But I will send it to the bookseller tomorrow to get the book; and if I have read it, I cannot help but remember it when I see it again. Later you will hear more specifically from

Your affectionate brother.

But remember that the merits of the case do not depend on it. [61]

 

Prayer meetings can be of great use not only to individuals, but to the entire nation

 

God's judgments are abroad. Prayer meetings can be of great use not only to individuals, but to the whole nation. I see nothing but prayer that can be helpful. For the only question is, 'Are we entitled to tax or not?' If we have, they are rebellious and responsible to God and man for all the blood shed

 

For Christopher Hopper

LONDON, November 11, 1775.

MY DEAR BROTHER,-- There was something very terrible about that storm which I suppose spread throughout England and Ireland; though it seems not to have been so violent in London as in most other places. I am sorry for Captain Davis and his widow. The judgments of God are abroad. Prayer meetings can be of great use not only to individuals, but to the whole nation. I see nothing but prayer that can be useful. For the only question is, 'Are we entitled to tax or not?' If we have had, they are rebellious and responsible to God and man for all the blood shed. If we have not, they are innocent, and the blood is at our door. They will allow that right or we may give it up—I am, with affection to Sister Hopper,

Your affectionate friend and brother. [62]

 

I observed his admirably good spirit

 

Now I will simply tell you what it is. When I was returning from the Leeds Conference, one of them gave me the pamphlet to which you refer, part of which I read during my travel. I observed his spirit admirably good; and then I found the arguments conclusive

 

For James Rouquet

LONDON, November 12, 1775.

DEAR JAMES,-- I will now simply tell you what it is. When I was returning from the Leeds Conference, one of them gave me the pamphlet to which you refer, part of which I read during my journey. I observed his spirit admirably good; and then I found the arguments conclusive. Hence, I suppose (though I do not remember), I recommended it both to you and to others; but I had forgotten it so completely that, even when they brought it to me another day, I could not remember that I had ever seen it." "I am

Your affectionate brother. [63]

 

Beware of being swept away by the torrent

 

Be careful not to be carried away by the torrent. You are on slippery ground

 

For William Pine

LONDON, November 14, 1775.

MY DEAR BROTHER,-- Beware of being carried away by the torrent. You are on slippery ground.

I have written more fully to Mr. Rouquet, and refer you to his letter for details. Let no warm man persuade you to take any step that you may regret while you live. "I am, with love to Sister Pine,

Your affectionate brother.[64]

 

I am currently better than before the fever

 

I'm glad you're going to Skipton again, and I hope to see for myself if I live until the summer. I'm now better off than before the fever; only she took my hair out

 

To Samuel Bardsley

NORWICH, November 27, 1775.

DEAR SAMMY,--Whenever you want something, let me know without delay. If Tommy Colbeck gives you two guineas, it may be deducted from the book money. I am glad you will go to Skipton again, and I hope to see for myself if I live to the summer. I am now better than before the fever; only it has taken my hair out.[65] The more effort you take, the more blessings you will find, especially as you preach the full salvation that is now received by faith. "I am, dear Sammy,

With affection.

To Mr. Bardsley, at Mr. Garforth's house,

In Skipton-in-Craven, Yorkshire. North Post.

To Mrs. Crosby, At Miss Bosanquet's House. Bosanquet,

Close to Leeds. North Post. [66]

 

 



[1] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[2] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[3] https://wesley-fellowship.org.uk/Cameos.html

[4] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[5] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[6] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[7]https://georgianera.wordpress.com/2014/11/11/1775-influenza-epidemic/. The book's cover illustration was published in the newspaper in 1775 depicting the influence of the flu.

[8] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[9] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[10] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[11] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[12] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[13] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[14] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[15] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[16] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[17] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[18] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[19] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[20] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[21] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[22] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[23] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[24] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[25] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[26] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[27] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[28] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[29] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[30] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[31] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[32] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[33] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[34] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[35] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[36] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[37] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[38] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[39] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[40] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[41] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[42] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[43] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[44] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[45] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[46] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[47] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[48] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[49] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[50] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[51] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[52] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[53] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[54] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[55] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[56] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[57] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[58] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[59] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[60] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[61] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[62] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[63] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[64] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[65] "Although he recovered in a way considered almost miraculous by his friends, the high fever and systemic stress of the disease caused a strong side effect: he lost much of his hair, which never grew back completely in the same way. After this episode, Wesley began to adopt the use of a wig in his old age to cover the baldness generated by the disease" – Google's AI mode overview.

[66] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas deste blog