The Progress of God's Work Through the Methodist Movement

 

Odilon Massolar Chaves

 

 


Copyright © 2026, Odilon Massolar Chaves

All rights reserved to the author.

It is allowed to read, copy and share for free.

Article 184 of the Penal Code and Law 96710 of February 19, 1998.

Books published in the Wesleyan Digital Library: 884

Books published by the author: 924

Cover: https://www.instagram.com/r/reel/DYVOuNAhREk/

Odilon Massolar Chaves is a retired Methodist pastor, with a doctorate in Theology and History from the Methodist University of São Paulo.

Son of Rev. Adherico Ribeiro Chaves and Roza Massolar Chaves.

He is married to RoseMary.

He has two daughters: Liliana and Luciana.

His thesis dealt with the Methodist revival in England in the eighteenth century and its contribution as a paradigm for our days.

 

Table of Contents

 

·       Introduction

·       God poured out His Spirit on poor Northampton

·       Remarkable providence

·       God's work continues well in most parts of Ireland

·       I am glad to know that the Lord's work still prospers in your hands

·       And those who suffer will all surely conquer everything

·       A Delightful Account of God's Work on the Island

·       A useful worker in our Lord's vineyard

·       I love you very much and we will continue until our earthly path ends

·       Providence has pointed out a way in which you can be of general utility

·       Evidence you once had of both the power and goodness of God

·       A great man observes that there is a threefold leading of the Spirit

·       I am glad to hear such a good account of God's work in Bideford

·       Its division of Scotland into the three southern circuits is extremely well rated

·       I trust that you will be more useful than ever

·       We are a family of love

·       You send us welcome news of the prosperity of God's work on the island

·       You will unfailingly prevail

·       You are a bold people!

·       If Strabane receives the gospel, we can certainly say that there is nothing too hard for God

·       You're a man I can trust

·       Expecting God's work to grow as well

·       True yoke companions compelled by love

·       You did exactly what was right

·       Each of you will have an equal share of the common work

·       And when you do what you can, you do enough

·       Our sufficiency is God's

·       Take a short tour next month, weather permitting

·       You send me a pleasant account of God's work in Stockport

·       By a stroke of Divine Providence

·       I'm glad you set up Sunday schools in Newcastle

·       You just need to move forward calmly and firmly

·       Let us do what we can, and let our Lord be well pleased

·       Your motives are good

·       Further proof that you're a man you can trust

·       Great Thirst for the Word of God in England, Scotland, Ireland and the Islands

·       Use of the form of prayer will tend to unite our people to the Church

·       Mighty Works of the Spirit

·       You're right

·       Great Proofs That Whom the Lord Loves

·       I am glad to know that God's work is so prosperous in Newry

·       Your visit to Melrose will not be in vain

·       I praise you for treating him so tenderly

·       Blessings He Has Given You From Youth Until Now

·       A very pleasant account of the progress of God's work in his circuit

·       You have great reason to praise God for giving a blessing to your labors

·       I gave a distinct account of God's work carried out in Britain and Ireland for more than half a century

·       Let's follow him as he followed Christ

·       You should never stop until you reach that point and form bands in every great Society

·       God has wonderfully supported you in these complicated afflictions

·       A reason for great gratitude

·       Oh, don't get tired of doing good

 

 

Introduction

 

"The Progress of God's Work Through the Methodist Movement" is a 53-page book based on Wesley's letters.

"In the last years of his life, between 1789 and 1791, John Wesley witnessed the progress of the Lord's work through the Methodists with a mixture of deep gratitude for numerical and geographical growth and intense concern for the preservation of the original spiritual fervor."[1]

Through the letters, Wesley received news of the progress of the Lord's work in various places. Wesley also praised and encouraged the preachers to press forward.

Of course, the letters do not deal with all progress in Methodism, but with situations located between the period of 1789 and 1791.

By 1791, "the Methodists numbered more than 79,000 in England and about 40,000 in the United States." [2]

In his letters, Wesley revealed his gratitude and joy for the growth of the Lord's work with the following statements:

·       God's work continues well in most parts of Ireland

·       I am glad to know that the Lord's work still prospers in your hands

·       I am glad to know that God's work is so prosperous in Newry

·       I am glad to hear such a good account of God's work in Bideford

·       You send me a pleasant account of God's work in Stockport

·       A very pleasant account of the progress of God's work in his circuit

·       You send us welcome news of the prosperity of God's work on the island

·       God poured out His Spirit on poor Northampton

·       I gave a distinct account of God's work accomplished in Britain and Ireland for more than half a century. 

Wesley also saw the need to establish bands (cells). To Thomas Roberts, less than a month before he died, on February 8, 1791, he said, "You must never stop until you reach that point and form bands in every great Society." [3]

The establishment of the Sunday School was another sector that Wesley supported. To Charles Atmore, on March 24, 1790, he said, "I am glad that you have set up Sunday schools in Newcastle. This is one of the best institutions seen in Europe a few centuries ago, and it will do more and more good, provided the teachers and inspectors do their duties."[4] 

However, for Wesley, "the true progress of the work was not measured only by full temples, but by the continuity of the search for biblical holiness and social transformation (such as the literacy of the poor and the fight against slavery, a cause he supported until his last letter to William Wilberforce in 1791)". [5]

 The Author

 

God poured out His Spirit on poor Northampton

 

You have great reason to praise God for pouring out His Spirit on poor Northampton and turning its weight into joy

 

For James Currie

LONDON, January 24, 1789.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- You have great reason to praise God for pouring out His Spirit upon poor Northampton, and turning its weight into joy. You should try with all diligence to work together with God and improve in this day of His power: first, by holding back all the setbacks you can, and working, if possible, to bring them back into the group; and, secondly, by earnestly exhorting the brethren to press on to perfection. This should be done both in public and in private. -- I am

With affection. [6]

 

Remarkable providence

 

It seems to me that you have drawn the right conclusion from this remarkable providence. Surely God now gives you a strong call to devote yourself to God in a single life

 

For Thomas Roberts

LONDON, February 12, 1789.

DEAR TOMMY, -- You really send me good news. I congratulate you on your deliverance. [See letter of January 18, 1788 to him.] It is not a small one. Only He who is all-powerful has been able to break these ties. Many years ago I was in exactly the same case; and at that moment, when I came to these words in the Lesson of the day, 'Son of man, behold, I take away the desire of thy eyes with one blow,' [See letter of February 14, 1786.] I was quite astonished, and could not read a word more at that time. But then I realized that God was wiser than I was.

It seems to me that you have drawn the right conclusion from this remarkable providence. Surely God now gives you a strong call to devote yourself to God in a single life. I advise you to read with much prayer the Notes on I Corinthians 7. And remember the wise direction of Kempis, [Book I. chap. viii.] 'Avoid all good women and entrust them to God.' --I am, dear Tommy,

Your affectionate brother.

To Mr. T. Roberts, in the new room,

In Cork. [7]

 

God's work continues well in most parts of Ireland

 

And no doubt you printed enough of them in London to supply all English societies.

The work of God is going on well in most of Ireland, especially in the North. They increase in Dublin both in number and in grace

 

To Henry Moore

NEAR LONDON, APRIL 17, 1789.

DEAR HENRY, -- I answer all your letters immediately; But you do not consider that the sea is now between us. I have told you before, 'Send John Jenkins without delay.' Then I suppose he is gone. I left Dr. Coke's Journal in Dublin with your daughter, to be published immediately. And no doubt you have printed enough of them in London to supply all English societies.

The work of God continues well in most of Ireland, especially in the North. They increase in Dublin both in number and in grace. Many are very much alive to God. [] I am, with affection to Nancy,

Your affectionate friend and brother. [8]

 

I am glad to know that the Lord's work still prospers in your hands

 

I'm glad to know that the Lord's work still thrives in your hands. But it takes a lot of stability, or you won't be able to keep up the good old Methodist discipline

 

To Samuel Bardsley

CARLOW, April 26, 1789.

DEAR SAMMY, -- I'm glad to know that the Lord's work still prospers in your hands. But it takes a lot of stability, or you can't keep up the good old Methodist discipline. Brother Rhodes wants to do that; and it will be right that you strengthen his hands in him. [See letter of January 7.] Let the preachers stand firm together, and then the people will be regular; But if any of you take your side against the preacher, it will all be confusion. Since you want that, you may come to the Conference. -- I am, dear Sammy,

Your affectionate brother.

To Mr. Sam. Bardsley, at Mr. James Walker's house,

In Sheffield. [9]

 

And those who suffer will all surely conquer everything

 

Meanwhile, with patience, they possess their souls. And those who suffer will all surely conquer everything

 

For George Flamank

PORTAFFERRY, June 9, 1789.

MY DEAR BRETHREN, -- 'The burden may last for a night, but joy comes in the morning.' I hope to leave for the West immediately after the Conference, and I shall probably take with me one or two men of peace, by whom all these misunderstandings will be removed. [See the letters of May 21 and July 21 (to Richard Bunt).] Meanwhile, with patience, they possess their souls. And those who suffer will all surely conquer all. -- I am, my dear brethren,

Your affectionate brother.

To Mr. George Flamank, Special Duty Officer, [10]

 

A Delightful Account of God's Work on the Island 

 

You send me a pleasant account of God's work on the island. If He acts, who will hold His hand, I should be glad to have the opportunity to see my friends who are with you once more; but I cannot reasonably wait for it 

 

To George Holder

DUBLIN, June 24, 1789.

DEAR GEORGE,-- You send me a pleasing account of God's work in the island. If He acts, who will stay His hand, I should be glad to have an opportunity to see my friends who are with you once more; but I cannot reasonably expect it. On my last voyage the sea has affected me more than ever in my life; that I may perceive that my travels are drawing to a close. Brother Smith can take all the accounts to the Conference, and will be assigned to England the following year. -- I am, dear George,

Your affectionate friend and brother. [11]

 

A useful worker in our Lord's vineyard

 

From the account you give of Jonathan Thompson, there is reason to expect him to be a useful laborer in our Lord's vineyard. We have had some useful ones from the North of Great Britain, and I hope they will have more

 

To Robert Dall

DUBLIN, June 29, 1780.

DEAR ROBERT, -- Why don't all you Scots go straight to Dublin by Portpatrick, to save five hundred miles? Brother Cole and Barber have done well: so have all whose hearts are in their work. I have already referred to the honest Joseph Cownley to determine which preachers should come from Scotland to the Conference. It seems that you can come and John Barber again. Either Charles Atmore must go back to Scotland, or he and I will not agree. I was not at all pleased with his going to England. He was using me extremely badly. I hope that his behaviour in the future will be different and will make up for what has already passed. From the account you give of Jonathan Thompson, there is reason to expect that he will be a useful labourer in our Lord's vineyard. We have had some useful ones from the North of Great Britain, and I hope they will have more. Dr. Coke has caused controversy in almost every part of this kingdom by talking of 'leaving the Church'. It would be good if they would forsake those sins. -- I am, dear Robert,

Your affectionate friend and brother. [12]

 

I love you very much and we will continue until our earthly path ends 

 

If we do not meet until we reach a better world, you will allow me to say: I love you very much and we will continue until our earthly path ends. 

 

For Arthur Keene

DUBLIN, July 1, 1789.

If we do not meet until we reach a better world, you will allow me to say: I love you very much, and we will continue until our earthly path is over. And allow me to give you one more piece of advice (you have already valued my advice)—stop arguing. Turn your thoughts as far away as possible from all controversial points. You have only one point to discuss—Immanuel, God with us; to secure that one point—Christ in us, the hope of glory! What is beyond this in comparison with this, Let it envelop your whole soul. But in a short time, all the rest will be gone like a shadow! It is [likely] that you will probably spend a few more days on earth when I am no longer seen. But those days, by comparison, disappear like a dream when one wakes. The wisdom from above, meanwhile, be the part of you and yours! Then pray.

His brother always affectionate. [13]

 

Providence has pointed out a way in which you can be of general utility

 

I am therefore glad to find that Providence has pointed out a way in which you may be of general utility, and still more so because, in some passages of recent authors, the inattention of my corrector has inserted some sentences which I had erased, two or three of which affirm Universal Restitution

 

For John Dickins

CHESTER, July 15, 1789.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- I also worried that you had so little employment in the work of God, for it was your true desire to be useful to the world before you were called to a better one. I am therefore glad to find that Providence has pointed out a way in which you may be of general utility, and still more so because, in some passages of recent authors, the inattention of my corrector has inserted some sentences which I had erased, two or three of which affirm Universal Restitution. The innumerable errata I also doubt that you will not carefully correct, which sometimes spoils the perception. [See letter of August 15.] Wishing you much of God's favor and presence, I, dear sir,

Your affectionate friend and brother.

To the Rev. John Dickins, Market Street,

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. [14]

 

Evidence you once had of both the power and goodness of God

 

After the many proofs you have had of both the power and goodness of God, especially in giving you the desire of the heart in the change wrought in several of your children, there is no reason to doubt but that He will give you your mother also, if you continue fervent in prayer

 

To Henry Eames

CHESTER, July 15, 1789.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- After the many proofs you have had of both the power and goodness of God, especially in giving you the desire of the heart in the change wrought in several of your children, there is no reason to doubt but that He will give you your mother also, if you continue fervent in prayer. [See letter of August 3, 1772.] The great obstacle to God's inward work is antinomianism, wherever it enters. I am glad you know this. Show your faith by your works. Fight the good fight of faith and squeeze eternal life. Peace be upon you and yours. -- I am

With affection. [15]

 

A great man observes that there is a threefold leading of the Spirit

 

A great man observes that there is a threefold leading of the Spirit: some He leads by giving them on all occasions appropriate texts of Scripture; some suggesting reasons for every step they take—the way by which He chiefly leads me; and some by imitations 

 

To Garrettson Freely

CHESTER, July 15, 1789.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- You are altogether right. There is no doubt that it was the enemy of souls that prevented you from sending me your experience. Many parts, both of your inward and outward experience, must never be suppressed. But if you want to send me something, you have no time to lose. [See the letters of January 24, 1789, and February 3, 1790 to him.] Whatever you do for me, it must be quick, lest death have wings quicker than love. A great man observes that there is a threefold leading of the Spirit: some He leads by giving them on all occasions appropriate texts of Scripture; some suggesting reasons for every step they take—the way by which He principally guides me; and some by imitations. But He judges the latter way as the least desirable, for it is often impossible to distinguish dark impressions from divine or even diabolical.

I hope it won't take too long to write more specifically for

Your affectionate friend and brother. [16]

 

I am glad to hear such a good account of God's work in Bideford

 

I am glad to hear so good an account of God's work in Bideford. That town held out for a long time, and seemed to defy the gospel. But if we do not grow weary of the well-doing, we shall reap in due time

 

To Samuel Bardsley

OTLEY, July 21, 1789.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- I am glad to hear so good an account of God's work in Bideford. [See the next letter and that of November 25.] That city held out long and seemed to defy the gospel. But if we do not tire of the well-doing, we shall reap in its time. I would hardly expect any increase of God's work in Launceston; but it will probably be magnified by his preaching in the Town Hall, for many will come there who would not come to our preaching house.

As long as you and your co-workers talk freely and act for united counsel, the work of the Lord will prosper in your hands. And continue instantly in prayer, especially in your closet. -- I am, dear Sammy,

Your affectionate brother. [17]

 

Its division of Scotland into the three southern circuits is extremely well rated

 

Your division of Scotland into the three southern circuits is extremely well judged. [See letter of October 11, 1788.] You will see from the minutes of the Conference that it is running. I trust that in a few months I shall see strict Methodist discipline both at Glasgow, Ayr, and Dumfries

 

To James Bogie

LEEDS, August 1, 1789.

DEAR JEMMY,--Your division of Scotland into the three southern circuits is extremely well judged. [See letter of October 11, 1788.] You will see from the minutes of the Conference that it is in progress. I trust that in a few months I shall see strict Methodist discipline both in Glasgow, Ayr, and in Dumfries. And please do not forget Greenock. I have received letters from there asking for help. Let no poor soul sin for want of knowledge, if it be in our power to prevent it. -- I am, dear Jemmy,

Your affectionate friend and brother.

To Mr. James Bogie, in the

Preaching house in Glasgow.[18]

 

I trust that you will be more useful than ever

  

After a time to give you the leadership of a class, and soon after to employ you as a local preacher; and I trust that you will be more useful than ever.

 

To Edward Thomas

WINDMILL STREET, PLYMOUTH DOCK, August 29, 1789.

MY DEAR BROTHER,-- Your letter has given me much satisfaction. I am sincerely glad that you are convinced that you have gone too far, and I love you all the more for having the courage to acknowledge it. Now it is time to forget all that has been past, but it will be better to advance gradually. First, I will reinstate you to the Society, then I will recite Mr. Warwick [Thomas Warwick, now assistant at Plymouth. See the letter of May 21.] after a time to give you the leadership of a class, and soon after to employ you as a local preacher; and I trust that you will be more useful than ever.

On every occasion you'll find me

Your affectionate brother. [19]

 

We are a family of love

 

I refer this matter to you, who are on the spot. Everyone in our house is at great peace. We are a loving family. I love Sister Clarke, but not as much as my dear Nancy

 

To Henry Moore

BRISTOL, September 15, 1789.

DEAR HENRY, -- I am glad you have delayed the preparation of the collection for Dewsbury. I suppose you now have my second article, [See letter of September 11.] which is to be printed and sent to all the Assistants. By this I show them more clearly what my feelings are than I have ever done.

Geo. Paramore writes to wish that his brother and sister may succeed Brother and Sister Shropshire in Spiralfields. I have no objection. I refer this matter to you who are on the spot. Everyone in our house is at great peace. We are a loving family. I love Sister Clarke, only not as much as my dear Nancy; and I am, dear Henry,

Your affectionate friend and brother. [20]

 

Prosperity of God's Work on the Island

 

You send us welcome tidings of the prosperity of God's work on the island. A year ago, I feared that our members would scarcely reach twenty-four hundred again: so now they rise above our hope

 

To Jonathan Brown, Isle of Man

[October], 1789.

DEAR JONATHAN,-- You send us welcome tidings of the prosperity of God's work on the island. A year ago, [See letter of February 28.] I feared that our members would scarcely again reach twenty-four hundred: so now they rise above our hope. I trust that it will now be your task to 'purge the ground' completely. Eliminate all unworthy members, and strongly exhort the rest to 'go on to perfection.' Cause as many people as possible to gather in the band. -- I am, with love to your wife,

Your affectionate friend and brother. [21]

 

You will unfailingly prevail

 

If you and your people have more of the life of God in you than they do, you will infallibly prevail. You must always encourage them to do so. Only let us have the mind that was in Christ, and we will lack nothing good

 

For Charles Atmore

LONDON, October 12, 1789.

DEAR CHARLES, -- It is a great blessing that God gives you and your fellow-workers to act in full concert with one another. I hope you will exhort all believers to follow on to perfection, and that you will take special care of the Select Society. You do well to continue at N[orth] Shields, without paying the slightest attention to Edwd. Coates [Armore was an assistant at Newcastle; John Ogilvie was his colleague. Coates had separated from Wesley. See the April 29 letter to him.] or your society; Be affectionate and courteous to any of them when they come your way. If you and your people have more of the life of God in you than they do, you will infallibly prevail. You must always encourage them to do so. Only let us have the mind that was in Christ, and we will lack nothing good. -- I am, dear Charles,

Your affectionate friend and brother. [22]

 

You are a bold people!

 

You are a bold people! Two hundred pounds to buy money beyond nine hundred pounds! But I do not usually stifle any good design. Continue in the name of God. It is true that your act is clumsy enough

 

To Laurence Frost

LONDON, October 23, 1789.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- You are a bold people! Two hundred pounds to buy money beyond nine hundred pounds! But I do not usually stifle any good design. Continue in the name of God. It is true that your act is clumsy enough. I am surprised that no Methodist will take my advice. I have more experience in these things than any lawyer in the country. And have I not the Methodist interest so present in my heart? Oh, why will you alter the fine deed we already have? Why will you employ any lawyer just to get a knot in a rush; just to try to confuse the cause. Well, take comfort. You will not worry much about

Your affectionate brother.[23]

 

If Strabane receives the gospel, we can certainly say that there is nothing too hard for God

 

If Strabane receives the gospel, surely we can say that there is nothing too hard for God; and nothing will be too hard for you to lean on His strength and go hand in hand, desiring only to do and suffer His holy and acceptable will.

 

For John Grace

LONDON, October 25, 1789.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- I expected Brother Smith to be useful in Londonderry; for the power of God attends his word, and He sends by whom He will send without asking man's advice.

You do well in morning preaching: that is the glory of the Methodists. Whenever morning preaching is abandoned, the glory departs from us.

If Strabane receives the gospel, surely we can say that there is nothing too hard for God; and nothing will be too hard for you to lean on His strength and go hand in hand, desiring only to do and suffer His holy and acceptable will.

Peace be with all your spirits! -- I am

Your affectionate friend and brother. [24]

 

You're a man I can trust

 

You are a man I can trust: whatever you do, you will do with your strength

 

To Richard Rodda

WALLINGFORD, October 26, 1789.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- You are a man I can trust: whatever you do, you will do with your strength. Some years ago we wanted a preaching room at Coleford, in Somemet-shire. A neighbouring gentleman, Mr. Salmon, gave us land to build on and timber for the house, and asked me to use his house as my own. Now, by wicked men, he is reduced to the need of people. I have been informed that a master for an asylum is needed in Manchester. Please ask; and if so, leave no means untried to get the place for him. Apply on my behalf to Brother Barlow, Byerly, D. Yates, T. Phillips, Dr. Easton, Mr. Brocklehurst, Stonehouse, and all who respect me. Enjoy as much interest as you can. Leave no stone unturned. 'Join the hands of God to make a good man live.' I hope you will send me a message in London that you have made an effort and not without a prospect of success. -- I am, dear Richard,

Your affectionate friend and brother.

To Mr. Rodda, in the preaching house,

In Manchester. [25]

 

Expecting God's work to grow as well

 

Wherever the congregation increases, we have reason to expect that the work of God will also increase. [Mason was assistant at St. Austell.] And it is certain that distress is one of the means by which God awakens men from sleep

 

For John Mason

NEAR OXFORD, OCTOBER 27, 1789.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- Wherever the congregation increases, we have reason to expect that the work of God will also increase. [Mason was assistant at St. Austell.] And it is certain that distress is one of the means by which God awakens men from sleep. You know that hunger is one of the painful judgments of God, and people should be strongly encouraged to improve by it. Do not allow the leader to whisper in his class, but to speak that all present may hear; otherwise, how will it be

Each one is your friendly support

And feel the care of the brother

Speak strong and be for everyone. -- I am

Your affectionate friend and brother. [26]

 

True yoke companions compelled by love

 

I am glad to know that you are true yokefellows compelled by love to work in the Gospel Field

  

To George Baldwin

LONDON, November 5, 1789.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- I am glad to know that you are true yokefellows compelled by love To labor in the Gospel Field. [Poetical Works, v. 410.]

Verily, your labor will not be in vain. Go in the name of the Lord and in the power of His power. Be instantaneous in season, out of season, above all, exhort believers to go on to perfection! When this is neglected, all the work of God will wither. So it will be without going from house to house. [Baldwin was active in the Gloucestershire Circuit. He died in 1810.] --I am, dear George,

Your affectionate brother.

 Close to Leeds.[27]

 

You did exactly what was right

 

You did exactly what was right in the business of Dewsbury, which will be a warning to us forever

 

To Richard Rodda

LAMBETH, November 20, 1789.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- I hope that Sammy Bradburn's illness will be a lasting blessing to him, and perhaps as long as he lives. I did not want to give the five pounds to Billy Hunter as an excuse. If his strength returned, perhaps in a few months he would return to work; but I doubt whether he will return or not, [William Hunter, Jr., was Rodda's younger colleague.] whether he will ever be fit for an itinerant preacher. You have done just what was right in the business of Dewsbury, which will be a warning to us forever. Then........ and it may be when business of the same kind. As long as I live, no action will be taken towards the building of any preaching house until the trustees have given the bond to settle it into our plan as soon as they are indemnified. [See the letter in January, 1791 to him.] Peace be upon you and yours. -- I am, dear Richard,

Your affectionate friend and brother.

To Mr. Rodda. In the Preaching House.

In Manchester. [28]

 

Each of you will have an equal share of the common work

 

I am convinced, Brother Wray, Stretton, and you will go on together, and that each of you will have an equal share of the common work. I do it myself

 

To William Black

LONDON, November 21, 1789.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- Your letter has given me great satisfaction. My fears have disappeared. I am convinced, Brother Wray, Stretton, and you will go on together, and that each of you will have an equal share of the common work. I do it myself. I work now just as I did twenty or forty years ago. By all means, proceed by common consent, and do not think of separating me from the Church of England. I am more and more confirmed in the judgment which our whole Conference pronounced on this subject in the year 1758. -- I am, my dear brother, your affectionate friend and brother. [29]

 

 And when you do what you can, you do enough

  

I'm glad you did something for poor Dewsbury And when you do what you can, you do enough

 

To Jeremiah Brettell

LONDON, November 27, 1789.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- I am glad you have done something for poor Dewsbury [See letter of August 23.]; And when you do what you can, you do enough. No wonder Tommy Cooper is conscious of so great a loss. But it is possible that Harriet Lewis of Dudley invented it. [Thomas Cooper was Brettell's colleague at Wolverhampton. See letter of March 29, 1788 to Harriet Lewis.] She is a young woman of excellent spirit. She has seen affliction and has benefited greatly from it. If my life extends into the spring, it will be no small satisfaction to me to see my dear Sister Brettell once more. Peace be upon your spirits! -- I am, dear Jerry,

Your affectionate friend and brother. [30]

 

Our sufficiency is God's

 

 Our own insufficiency for every good work would discourage us, if we were not convinced both by Scripture and by experience that all our sufficiency is of God

 

For John Dickins

LONDON, December 26, 1789.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- Our very insufficiency for every good work would discourage us, if we were not convinced both by Scripture and experience that all our sufficiency is of God. Therefore, no doubt, He will furnish seed to the sower, and bread to the coment, and a blessing thereby.

Brother Joliffe perhaps had all his urgent affairs settled as well as without them...... as if he were with us. Let us make it as comfortable as possible. But it is doubtful whether any good will be done at last. I am glad that Betsey Harvey [See title of letter of April 23, 1764 to Mrs. Woodhouse.] will continue with you; she may forget me, but I do not forget her. Thank you for the magazine.

What I wish every night is that you all stay close to the Bible. Don't be wise above what is written. Don't command anything that the Bible doesn't clearly allow. Don't forbid anything that doesn't clearly forbid. It doesn't forbid me to call you Mr. any more than to call you John, and it doesn't forbid me to wear a loose hat than a bishop's hat. -- I am

Your affectionate friend and brother.

To the Rev. John Dickins,

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. [31]

 

Take a short tour next month, weather permitting

 

You should be absent from the School at times, so that you can be present more effectively. But I wish you to take a little tour next month, weather permitting

 

For Thomas McGeary

LONDON, January 9, 1790.

DEAR TOMMY, There is no danger of my finding your writing troublesome. If Mr. [Funnal] thinks you have been wrong to go away, and that it is a favor to receive you again, you may receive you; but he seems to me to be beside himself. Mr. Carr has not written me anything. I hope he (at least) knows when he is well. A place so different to him can hardly be found.

You should be absent from the School at times, so that you can be present more effectively. But I wish you to take a little tour next month, weather permitting. Spending a week or two outdoors now and then is the best physical thing in the world for you. Perfect love ούν άσχημονεϊ is neither badly behaved nor immature. Peace be upon all your spirits--I am, dear Tommy, Yours with all affection.

Mr. Bradily, a pious young man from Antigua, ardently desires to be a guest at Kingswood. I am not opposed. [32]

 

You send me a pleasant account of God's work in Stockport

 

You send me a pleasing account of God's work in Stockport. Many feared that this would be greatly undermined especially by Thomas Smith. But of course they feared where there was no fear; for our Lord took care of His own work

 

For Daniel Jackson

NEAR LONDON, JANUARY 19, 1790.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- You send me a pleasing account of God's work in Stockport. Many feared that this would be greatly injured especially by Thomas Smith. But of course they feared where there was no fear; for our Lord took care of His own work.

I am glad that Tommy Farrant [Probably Thomas Tennant, Jackson's colleague.] continues to exert himself. The more he does, the more he can; for to him who has (even what he has) will be given, and will have more abundantly.--I am, with love to Sister Jackson,

Your affectionate friend and brother. [33]

 

By a stroke of Divine Providence

 

I have not regretted that you were discharged from the Army, since it was not by your own act and action, but rather by a stroke of Divine Providence; and I doubt whether this is to the glory of God

 

For William Smith

BIRMINGHAM, March 21, 1790.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- I have not regretted that you were discharged from the Army, since it was not by your own act and action, but rather by a stroke of Divine Providence; and I doubt whether this is to the glory of God. The question was, Which part of the vineyard would be best for you to work? I cannot, in reason, consent to your being too long confined in the Londonderry Circuit. Is there any part of Ireland which you prefer to others, or prefer to spend time in England with which you can speak freely

Your affectionate brother. [34]

 

I'm glad you set up Sunday schools in Newcastle

 

I'm glad you've set up Sunday schools in Newcastle. This is one of the best institutions seen in Europe a few centuries ago, and it will do more and more good, provided the teachers and inspectors do their jobs 

 

For Charles Atmore

MADELEY, March 24, 1790.

DEAR CHARLES, -- I am glad you have set up Sunday schools in Newcastle. This is one of the best institutions seen in Europe for some centuries, and it will do more and more good, provided the teachers and inspectors do their business. Nothing can hinder the success of this blessed work but the abandonment of the instruments. Be sure, therefore, to watch them very carefully, that they may not grow weary of doing good.

I shall be at Darlington, God willing, on Tuesday and Wednesday, May 4th and 5th; on Thursday, at Durham, to preach at twelve o'clock; and at Newcastle between four and five o'clock in the afternoon. Peace be with you all, and with yours.--I am, dear Charles,

Your affectionate friend and brother. [35]

  

You just need to move forward calmly and firmly

 

You only need to move forward calmly and steadily, and God will rise up and uphold His own cause. Only let us strive to have a conscience void of offense against God and man

 

To Samuel Bardsley

NEWCASTLE-UNDER-LYME, 27 March 1790.

DEAR SAMMY, -- Take special care that neither Michael Fenwick nor any other justly offends, and especially that they do not offend God; then He will cause your enemies to be at peace with you.

If I remember rightly, I have written to the mayor of Bideford; and I imagine it will make him quieter. [See letter of November 25, 1789.] By meekness, gentleness, and patience, with faith and prayer, you will prevail also in Torrington. You have only to go forward calmly and steadily, and God will arise and keep up His own cause. Only let us strive to have a conscience void of offense against God and man. -- I am, dear Sammy,

Your affectionate friend and brother. [36]

 

Let us do what we can, and let our Lord be well pleased

 

It would be a pleasure to see you anywhere, especially in Skipton. But I am afraid it is not within my reach. Since my last illness I have not been able to preach as often as I used to. But let us do what we can, and our Lord be well pleased

 

To Peter Garforth

MANCHESTER, April 2, 1790.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- It would be a pleasure to see you anywhere, especially in Skipton.

But I am afraid it is not within my power. Since my last illness I have not been able to preach as often as I used to. But let us do what we can, and our Lord be well pleased. -- I am

Your affectionate brother.

Mr. Garforth, in

Skipton-in-Craven, Yorkshire. [37]

 

Your motives are good

 

Your motives are good. I fully agree with your judgment. Considering the kindness your friends in Londonderry have shown, it would not be advisable for you to be removed from them immediately

 

For William Smith

WAKEFIELD, April 23, 1790.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- Your motives are good. I fully agree with your judgment. Considering the kindness your friends in Londonderry have shown, it would not be advisable for you to be removed from them at once. You had better stay with them another year. [See letter of March 21.] I will therefore write to Dr. Coke that it may be so. But oh, beware lest you think yourself too valued. You walk on slippery ground. May God keep you humble. -- I am,

Your affectionate brother. [38]

 

Further proof that you're a man you can trust

 

Thank you, my dear Harry, for giving me further proof that you are a man to be trusted. You keep your love and your integrity even among the noises

 

To Henry Moore

PARKGATE, April 25, 1790.

I thank you, my dear Harry, for giving me further proof that you are a man who can be trusted. You keep your love and your integrity even amidst the noises, But who was it that turned Dr. Coke from east to west and (much stranger!) Dr. Hamilton But how is it that the fact The Society in Dublin is silent or not The dispute has been forgotten or does it continue The majority of the people are in favor of maintaining or abolishing the eleven o'clock service [See letters of May 6, x788, and May 12, 1790.] Certainly Dr. Coke is not well in his senses.

I wrote an affectionate but direct letter to Arthur Keene [See the next letter, and that of July 6, 1789.] (without saying a word from the morning service) in this regard: 'You would not have justified removing a friend like me, even if I had become a Papist or a Mohammedan.' -- I am, with affection to Nancy, dear Henry,

Your affectionate friend and brother. [39]

 

Great Thirst for the Word of God in England, Scotland, Ireland and the Islands

 

Never was there in all England, Scotland, and Ireland such a thirst for the pure word of God as there is to this day. The same as we find in the small Isles of Man, Wight, Jersey, Guernsey, and Alderney in the Western Ocean

 

To William Black

SUNDERLAND, June 14, 1790.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- You have done well to send me an account of your little Societies. Here is a good start, though it is still in many places a day of little things, and though it does not please God to continue His work so quickly with you as in some provinces. But one soul is worth all the merchandise in the world; And he who receives money, you win souls.

There never was in all England, Scotland, and Ireland such a thirst for the pure word of God as there is to this day. The same as we find in the little Isles of Man, Wight, Jersey, Guernsey, and Alderney, in the Western Ocean. In the Isle of Man alone (thirty miles long), the Societies have about twenty and two hundred members. I have just finished my route through Scotland, where I have never had congregations like this before. Therefore it pleases God to give me a little more to do before I call here.

What Happened to Brother Scurr, Dodson, and Our Other Yorkshire Friends Some of them, no doubt, have gone to a more distant country; but some, I suppose, remain. I doubt whether you do not have constant relations with each other. Love as Brothers—I am, dear William, your affectionate friend and brother. [40]

  

Use of the form of prayer will tend to unite our people to the Church

 

I agree with my brother's judgment that the use of the form of prayer will tend to unite our people to the Church [Charles Wesley's view. On the fourth Sunday, they were to partake of the Sacrament in the Church.] instead of separating them from it, especially if you sincerely insist that they go to church every four Sundays

 

For William Thom

MALTON, June 21, 1790.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- I agree with my brother's judgment that the use of the form of prayer will tend to unite our people to the Church [Charles Wesley's view. On the fourth Sunday, they should partake of the Sacrament in the Church.] instead of separating them from it, especially if you sincerely insist that they go to church every four Sundays.

I am very indifferent to the preaching house, and I will not worry about it any more. I have already lost 10 because of it, though to no purpose. If anything more is done about it, it must be done by the people of Sarum themselves. With love to Sister Thom, dear Billy,

Your affectionate friend and brother. [41]

 

Mighty Works of the Spirit

 

As to the mighty works of the Spirit, I think these words of our Lord are to be understood chiefly: 'The wind blows where he is; Thou hearest the sound of it' (thou art sure of it), 'but thou knowest not whence it cometh, nor whither it goeth

 

For Thomas Taylor

LONDON, January 6, 1791.

DEAR TOMMY, -- As to the mighty works of the Spirit, I think these words of our Lord are chiefly to be understood: 'The wind bloweth where it is; Thou hearest the sound of it' (thou art sure of it), 'but thou knowest not whence it cometh, nor whither it goeth.'

Make your annual subscription when you see fit, just be careful that you don't get in the way of any other subscription.

Archbishop King's treatise has been particularly admired by many persons of excellent sense. I do not admire it so much as they do; but I like it very much. Still, I have corrected a much better treatise on the subject, probably the last one I shall have to publish.

Indeed, I hope I do not live to be useless. I wish you and your many happy years; and I am, dear Tommy,

Your affectionate friend and brother. [42]

 

You're right

 

Speaking to a congregation in the name of Christ is a matter of great importance. So you are right, before you undertake it, to consider the matter well 

 

For Henry Anderson

NEAR LONDON, JANUARY 13, 1791.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- To speak to a congregation in the name of Christ is a matter of great importance. Therefore you are right, before you undertake it, to consider the matter well. Indeed, it may not be improper to speak a little now when the opportunity presents itself. But I do not advise you to give yourself to the work until you are proposed and approved at the next Conference. "I am

Your friend and brother.

To Mr. Henry Anderson, in Kilham,

Near Malton, Yorkshire. [43]

 

Great Proofs That Whom the Lord Loves

 

Both Brother Clarke and you have great proof that whom the Lord loves, He chastises. [See letters for January 3 and February 9.] He knows the way you are going; When you are tested, you will appear like gold. 

 

To Mrs. Adam Clarke

LONDON, January 18, 1791.

MY DEAR SISTER, -- Before that, I hope God has heard the prayers and given a little more relief to Brother Clarke. I suspect a hydrops in the brain, which, though formerly thought incurable, has recently been cured.

Both Brother Clarke and you have great proof that whom the Lord loves, He chastises. [See letters for January 3 and February 9.] He knows the way you are going; When you are tested, you will appear like gold.

I wonder how foolish Mr. V. Certainly he is a very weak man. But I will judge better when I see his performances. May peace multiply again! -- I am, my dear sister,

Always yours. [44]

 

I am glad to know that God's work is so prosperous in Newry

 

I am glad to know that the work of God is so prosperous in Newry. Continue to seek Him fasting, and you will see even greater things than these. Take care to keep as accurate an account as possible of all that happens.

 

For James Macdonald

LONDON, January 18, 1791.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- I am glad to know that the work of God is so prosperous in Newry. Continue to seek Him fasting, and you will see even greater things than these. Take care to keep as accurate an account as possible of all that happens. The verses deserve to be inserted in the Arminian Magazine. I would be glad to know the author of them; but I hardly think she or you will see me in this world any more. [See letter of October 23, 1790.]

Your affectionate friend and brother. [45]

 

Your visit to Melrose will not be in vain

 

I'm glad you wrote to Joseph Cole. Your visit to Melrose won't be in vain. And it bodes well that God has given you an able healer 

 

To Robert Dull

LONDON, January 19, 1791.

Surely Calvinism is the direct antidote to Methodism, that is, to the religion of the heart, and I think it would not be wrong if you presented, where you see it aright, the Dialogue between a Predestinatory and his Friend.

I'm glad you wrote to Joseph Cole. Your visit to Melrose won't be in vain. And it bodes well that God has given you a capable healer.

Though my health has been better for several days than it has been for months, I very much doubt that I shall attempt to cross the sea again; My last voyage has greatly discouraged me. But if I cannot reach Ireland, I hope my strength will be sufficient to visit Scotland. We shall probably have a little conference in Edinburgh in the spring. -- I am, with love to Sister Dall, dear Robert,

Your affectionate friend and brother. [46]

 

I praise you for treating him so tenderly

 

So I commend you for treating him so tenderly, and I advise you to still do it, even if he speaks ill of you or about you. But I won't blame you for preaching in the morning or finding a class

 

For William Torrie

LONDON, January 19, 1791.

MY DEAR BROTHER TORRIE, -- I wish John Philips all the best, and I do not want to hinder him from doing all the good he can. Therefore I commend you for treating him so tenderly, and I advise you to still do so, even if he speaks ill of you or about you. But I will not blame you for preaching in the morning or for finding a class. -- I am

Your affectionate brother. [47]

 

Blessings He Has Given You From Youth Until Now

 

You have great reason to thank Him for the blessings He has given you from your youth until now. No doubt many of these have been sent, as you observe, in answer to the prayers of your good mother

 

To Thomas Greathead

LONDON, January 22, 1791.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- I am half blind and half lame; but with God's help I still advance. You have great reason to thank Him for the blessings He has given you from youth till now. No doubt many of these have been sent, as you observe, in answer to the prayers of your good mother. Now, do all the good you can for your poor neighbours. One word spoken in season, how good it is. Wishing you and yours every happiness, I am

Your affectionate brother. [48]

 

A very pleasant account of the progress of God's work in his circuit

 

You give me a very agreeable account of the progress of God's work in your circuit. As for the poor convinced Keighley enthusiasts

 

To John Booth

LONDON, January 29, 1791.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- You give me a very agreeable account of the progress of God's work in your circuit. As for Keighley's poor self-confessed enthusiasts, it seems best never to name them in public, but when the occasion gets to the root of their errors by clearly proving the truth they deny; and whenever you meet with any of them in private, then speak and spare not. Whenever you have occasion to converse with believers, encourage them to go on to perfection. Spare no pain; and God, our own God, will give you His blessing! -- I am

Your affectionate friend and brother.

To Mr. John Booth, in the Preaching House,

In Keighley, Yorkskire. [49]

 

You have great reason to praise God for giving a blessing to your labors 

 

You have great reason to praise God for giving a blessing to your works. Then He will do more and more if you do not get involved in the affairs of this life. If you seek your happiness in God alone, you will never be disappointed 

 

To Thomas Broadbent

LONDON, January 29, 1791.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- You have great reason to praise God for His giving a blessing to your labors. Then He will do more and more if you do not engage in the affairs of this life. If you seek your happiness in God alone, you will never be disappointed: if in anything else, you will certainly do so; for all creatures are broken cisterns. Let your eye be single. Seek one thing—to save your own soul and those who hear you. -- I am, dear Tommy, your affectionate friend and brother. [50]

 

I gave a distinct account of God's work carried out in Britain and Ireland for more than half a century

 

I have given a distinct account of the work of God which has been carried on in Great Britain and Ireland for more than half a century. We want some of you to give us a connected account of what our Lord has done in America since the time Richard Boardman accepted the invitation and left his country to serve him

 

To Ezekiel Cooper from Philadelphia

NEAR LONDON, FEBRUARY 1, 1791.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- Those who wish to write or say something to me have no time to lose; for time has shaken me by the hand, and death is not far off. But I have reason to be thankful for the time that has passed: I have felt few of the infirmities of old age for eighty-six years. It is only a year and a half ago that my strength and my eyesight have failed. And yet I can scribble a little and crawl along, though I cannot run. I probably should not be able to do so much if many of you did not help me with your prayers.

I have given a distinguished account of the work of God which has been carried on in Great Britain and Ireland for more than half a century. We want some of you to give us a connected relation of what our Lord has done in America from the time Richard Boardman accepted the invitation and left his country to serve him. Be sure never to yield room to a thought of separation from your brethren in Europe. Do not miss the opportunity of declaring to all men that the Methodists are one people throughout the world; and that it is your full determination to continue,

Though mountains rise and oceans roll,

To part us in vain.

To the care of our common Lord I entrust them; and I

Your affectionate friend and brother. [51]

 

Let's follow him as he followed Christ

 

How glad Mr. Easterbrook gave us the start. Let us follow him as he followed Christ. Let the service begin at [ten or eleven] if the leaders think it best. 

 

To Henry Moore

LONDON, February 6, 1791.

MY DEAR HENRY, -- How glad Mr. Easterbrook has given us the beginning. Let us follow him as he followed Christ. Let the service begin at [ten or eleven] if the leaders think best. I hope to be in Bath on the first Monday in March (tomorrow in three weeks); and I am, with love to my dear Nancy,

Your affectionate friend and brother.

To Mr. Henry Moore, in the new room,

Bristol. [52]

 

You should never stop until you reach that point and form bands in every great Society

 

You must never stop until you reach that point and form bands in every great Society. When the lecture begins in Carmarthen, it will be enough time to avoid any negative effects. I am glad to know that your journey back home was not in vain

 

For Thomas Roberts

LONDON, February 8, 1791.

MY DEAR BROTHER, [See letter of October 23, 1790.]--Who has objected to you reducing the preachers of the circuit to two, and on what pretext must we reduce all our expenses everywhere as far as possible. You must never stop until you reach that point, and form bands in every great Society. When the lecture begins at Carmarthen, it will be time enough to avoid any ill effects. I am glad to know that your journey home has not been in vain. My best wishes to my friends at Traison and Langwair. [Trecwn and Llwynygwair. See Diary, vii. 426-7.] --I am, dear Tommy,

Yours, etc. [53]

 

God has wonderfully supported you in these complicated afflictions

 

You have great reason to bless God for giving you strength as your day goes. [See letter of January 18.] He has indeed supported you in a wonderful way in these complicated afflictions. You may well say, 'I will put my trust in the Lord as long as I live

 

To Adam Clarke

LONDON, February 9, 1791.

DEAR ADAM,--You have great reason to bless God for giving you strength according to your day. [See letter of January 18.] He has really wonderfully supported you in these complicated afflictions. You may well say, 'I will put my trust in the Lord as long as I live.' I desire Dr. Whitehead to consider your case and give you his opinions on it. I am not afraid of you doing little, but too much. I am in constant danger of it. Do a little at a time, that you may do more. My love to Sister Cookman and Boyle [See letters of March 28, 1777, and May 2, 1787; and Crookshank's Methodism in Ireland, i. 428.]; but I doubt whether I shall yet cross the seas.

What preacher was this who first omitted to meet with the Select Society? I wonder that this did not destroy the work!

You did well to create the Society of Strangers (Friends). It is an excellent institution.

I am rather lost in regard to Mr. Madan. I do not know what to think of him. Send me your best thoughts about him. Let the excluded preachers not invade again in any way. At any rate, write and send me your opinions on Animal Magnetism. [See letter of January 3.] I have leaned my face against that artifice of Satan. Two of our preachers here are in this satanic delusion; but if they persist in defending it, I must let them fall. I know their principles very well. With much love to your wife, I am, my dear Adam,

Your affectionate brother. [54]

 

A reason for great gratitude

 

It should be a cause of great gratitude that your wife and you were able to surrender this beautiful child to God

 

For John Ogilvie

LONDON, February 21, 1791.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- I have not been well for some days; but now, by the blessing of God, I am very recovered. It should be a matter of great gratitude that your wife and you have been able to give this beautiful child to God. We are quite sure that He does all well--all for our benefit, that we may be partakers of His holiness. It is not improbable that I may look upon you in the spring. [Ogilvie was the second preacher at Alnwick.] Peace be upon your spirits! -- I am

Your affectionate brother. [55]

 

Oh, don't get tired of doing good

 

Oh, do not grow weary in doing good. I continue, in the name of God and in the power of His power, until even American slavery (the vilest that has ever seen the sun) disappears before it.

 

For William Wilberforce

BALAM, February 24, 1791.

DEAR LORD, -- Unless divine power has raised you up to be like Athanasius against the world, ['Athanasius against the world.'] I don't see how you can accomplish your glorious enterprise of opposing that execrable villainy, which is the scandal of religion, England, and human nature. Unless God has raised you up to it, you will be exhausted by the opposition of men and deabolites. But if God be on your behalf, who can be against you? Are they all together stronger than God? Oh, do not grow weary in doing good. I go on, in the name of God and in the power of His power, until even American slavery (the vilest that ever saw the sun) disappears before it.

Reading this morning a pamphlet written by a poor African, I was particularly struck by this circumstance, that a black-skinned man, being wronged or indignant by a white man, can have no redress; it being a law in all our Colonies that the oath of a negro against a white is of no avail. What a villainy this is!

May He who has guided you from youth continue to strengthen you in this and in all things is the prayer of, dear sir,

His affectionate servant. [56]

 

 



[1] Overview of Google's AI mode.

[2] Overview of Google's AI mode.

[3]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1791/

[4]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/

[5] Overview of Google's AI mode.

[6]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[7]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[8]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[9]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[10]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[11]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[12]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[13]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[14]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[15]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[16]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[17]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[18]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[19]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[20]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[21]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[22]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[23]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[24]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[25]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[26]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[27]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[28]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[29]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[30]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[31]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[32]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/

[33]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/

[34]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/

[35]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/

[36]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/

[37]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/

[38]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/

[39]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/

[40]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/

[41]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/

[42]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1791/

[43]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1791/

[44]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1791/

[45]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1791/

[46]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1791/

[47]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1791/

[48]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1791/

[49]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1791/

[50]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1791/

[51]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1791/

[52]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1791/

[53]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1791/

[54]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1791/

[55]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1791/

[56]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1791/

Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas deste blog