The General and
Particular Providence of God According to Wesley
Odilon
Massolar Chaves
Copyright
© 2026, Odilon Massolar Chaves
All rights
reserved to the author.
It is
allowed to read, copy and share for free.
Article
184 of the Penal Code and Law 96710 of February 19, 1998.
Books
published in the Wesleyan Digital Library: 885
Books
published by the author: 925
Cover: Taken from facebook
Odilon
Massolar Chaves is a retired Methodist pastor, with a doctorate in Theology and
History from the Methodist University of São Paulo.
Son of
Rev. Adherico Ribeiro Chaves and Roza Massolar Chaves.
He is
married to RoseMary.
He has two
daughters: Liliana and Luciana.
His thesis
dealt with the Methodist revival in England in the eighteenth century and its contribution
as a paradigm for our days.
Table
of Contents
· Introduction
·
The general and
particular providence of God
· Remarkable providence
·
Providence has
pointed out a way in which you can be of general utility
·
By a stroke of Divine
Providence
·
A Striking Example of
Divine Providence
·
I am glad that God's
providence has brought you to Wallingford
· If at any time
Providence seems to call upon any one to renounce these advantages
·
It was a providence
that the flood did not begin at night
· It seems to me that
you have drawn the right conclusion from this remarkable providence
·
Perhaps there was
some end of Divine Providence
· To ask whether God's
providence should be still more evident in his favor
·
I think God's
providence put it in my hands
· I admire the wise and
gracious dispensations of Divine Providence
·
Providence allowed
reckless men three miles from me
·
When God's providence
sent you to Salisbury
·
I believe Providence
calls you to this
· Providence saw the
good of testing you for many years in the furnace of affliction
· A good Providence has
given you someone with whom you can see and correspond more easily
· A wise and gracious
Providence that detained him for so long in Withey
·
It was well ordained
by an infallible Providence
·
I wait until
Providence speaks more clearly
· God's providence
intervened notably in behalf of the poor at Whitehaven
·
To do good to those
whom Providence places in his hands
· Until Providence opens a way
·
Follow the path that
God's providence points out
· It is up to us to
wait for the openings of Divine Providence and follow its guidelines
·
With the rushing
torrent of His sudden providence
·
Providence marked
them as friends among themselves
· I believe that
Providence will direct me to the North of Ireland or to Newcastle-upon-Tyne
· There seems to have
been a particular providence in Hannah Harrison's coming to Beverley
· There is often
something very mysterious in the ways of divine Providence
· An admirable providence
·
Perhaps there is a
Providence in this error
· Stay until Providence opens
·
The trials that a
gracious Providence sends
·
In obedience to the
command of Providence
·
Not by my choice, but
God's providence guided me
·
Whenever Providence
puts you in your way
· It was not by his own
act and action, but rather by a stroke of Divine Providence
·
In the new sphere of
action to which Providence has called you
Introduction
"The General and Particular Providence of God According to
Wesley" is a 54-page book based on Wesley's letters.
For Wesley, "divine providence is the continuous
expression of God's love and care for His creation. He divided this concept
into two complementary dimensions: general providence and particular
providence, emphatically arguing that the latter is a logical and necessary
consequence of the former."
Writing to Dr. Conyers Middleton, January 4,
1749, Wesley speaks of the "general or particular providence of God."
General providence refers to God's care for
the cosmos, and particular providence refers to his care for every individual,
every creature, and every little event in life.
Writing on November 26, 1768, Wesley said,
"There seems to have been a particular providence in Hannah Harrison's
coming to Beverley, especially at that time when a peacemaker was so wanting;
and it was a promise that God would withhold from you no good thing."
Even in a mistake, Wesley understood that
there can be a providence of God. Writing to Joseph Benson on January 31, 1768,
Wesley stated: "Perhaps there is a Providence in this error. For if Mr.
Williams is who he seems, he is deeply devoted to God."
Divine providence is always for good, for the
glory of God. Writing to Thomas Wride, February 14, 1771. Wesley said,
"The providence of God has intervened remarkably in behalf of the poor at
Whitehaven. I hope there will be more peace among them, and more life than has
been for some time."
For Wesley, God's providence does not nullify
human freedom. God takes providence and we have to follow or not.
To William Black, in March 1790, Wesley
wrote: "I do not know whether England has ever been before in so tranquil
a state as it is now. It is for us to await the openings of Divine Providence
and to follow its directions."
Wesley
speaks of "remarkable Providence"; "An admirable
Providence." He also says, "I admire the wise and gracious dispensations of
Divine Providence."
An example of the faith of a
person who learned to see the signs of God in every moment of life.
The
Author
The general and particular
providence of God
The general providence
"General
providence refers to God's rule over the macrocosm —the universe, the
laws of nature, the galaxies, and the great nations.
- Maintaining order: Wesley believed
that God not only created the world, but actively sustains it at every
moment. Without this care, the
universe would collapse.
- Universal comprehensiveness: It is God's care for the global functioning of creation, ensuring that natural cycles and human history follow His sovereign purposes."
Writing to Mrs. Rogers, February 9, 1789, Wesley said, "It was a providence that the flood did not begin at night, but rather during the day. Thus judgment is usually mingled with mercy, that sinners may be awakened and not destroyed."
Private
Providence
"Particular
(or specific) providence refers to God's detailed care of the microcosm
—every individual, every creature, and every little event in life. Wesley
rejected the idea of a God who cares for the whole but ignores the parts.
- Thorough care: For him, the
hairs of our head are numbered and no sparrow falls to the ground without
the Father's will (based on Matthew 10:29-30).
- The connection with the general:
Wesley argued logically: the "whole" is composed of
"parts." Therefore, it is impossible for God to govern the
universe in general without governing every detail that composes it. He
said that denying particular providence is the same as denying general
providence itself."
Writing to Ann Bolton, July 8, 1785, Wesley said: I am glad, therefore, that a good Providence has given you one with whom you can see and correspond more easily. You can certainly trust her in every situation; and she has understanding, pity, and experience."
In his letters, we
find numerous times that Wesley speaks of God's providence.
Remarkable providence
It seems to me that you
have drawn the right conclusion from this remarkable providence. Surely God now
gives you a strong call to devote yourself to God in a single life
For
Thomas Roberts
LONDON, February 12, 1789.
DEAR TOMMY, -- You really
send me good news. I congratulate you on your deliverance. [See letter of
January 18, 1788 to him.] It is not a small one. Only He who is all-powerful
has been able to break these ties. Many years ago I was in exactly the same case;
and at that moment, when I came to these words in the Lesson of the day, 'Son
of man, behold, I take away the desire of thy eyes with one blow,' [See letter
of February 14, 1786.] I was quite astonished, and could not read a word more
at that time. But then I realized that God was wiser than I was.
It seems to me that you
have drawn the right conclusion from this remarkable providence. Surely God now
gives you a strong call to devote yourself to God in a single life. I advise
you to read with much prayer the Notes on I Corinthians 7. And remember the
wise direction of Kempis, [Book I. chap. viii.] 'Avoid all good women and
entrust them to God.' --I am, dear Tommy,
Your affectionate brother.
To Mr. T. Roberts, in the
new room,
Providence has pointed out
a way in which you can be of general utility
I am
therefore glad to find that Providence has pointed out a way in which you may
be of general utility, and still more so because, in some passages of recent
authors, the inattention of my corrector has inserted some sentences which I
had erased, two or three of which affirm Universal Restitution
For
John Dickins
CHESTER, July 15, 1789.
MY DEAR BROTHER, -- I also
worried that you had so little employment in the work of God, for it was your
true desire to be useful to the world before you were called to a better one. I
am therefore glad to find that Providence has pointed out a way in which you
may be of general utility, and still more so because, in some passages of
recent authors, the inattention of my corrector has inserted some sentences
which I had erased, two or three of which affirm Universal Restitution. The
innumerable errata I also doubt that you will not carefully correct, which
sometimes spoils the perception. [See letter of August 15.] Wishing you much of
God's favor and presence, I, dear sir,
Your affectionate friend
and brother.
To the Rev. John Dickins,
Market Street,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
[1]
By a stroke of Divine
Providence
I have not regretted that
you were discharged from the Army, since it was not by your own act and action,
but rather by a stroke of Divine Providence; and I doubt whether this is to the
glory of God
For William Smith
BIRMINGHAM, March 21, 1790.
MY DEAR BROTHER, -- I have not regretted that
you were discharged from the Army, since it was not by your own act and action,
but rather by a stroke of Divine Providence; and I doubt whether this is to the
glory of God. The question was, Which part of the vineyard would be best for
you to work? I cannot, in reason, consent to your being too long confined in
the Londonderry Circuit. Is there any part of Ireland which you prefer to
others, or prefer to spend time in England with which you can speak freely
Your affectionate brother. [2]
A Striking Example of
Divine Providence
To send him to Athlone just at
that moment was a striking example of Divine Providence; and his going to
Moate, where we have labored so long in vain, was at an acceptable time
For Ms. Armstrong
BRISTOL, September 15, 1789.
MY DEAR SISTER, -- The account you give of
James M'Quigg is very remarkable. [J. M'Quigg was one of the preachers in
Limerick. Wesley preached at Moate, near Athlone, on April 2, 1748, and calls
it 'the most pleasant town I have ever seen in Ireland.'] To send him to
Athlone just at this time was a striking example of Divine Providence; and his
going to Moate, where we have labored so long in vain, was at an acceptable
time. Many of our friends were afraid to hear him! God honored him. I pray that
He will honor him more as long as his eye is one, seeking his happiness in God
alone.
You cannot say, my dear Jenny, the good you
can do now and when you speak a word for God. Do not be ashamed or afraid to
say a word when the occasion is needed. In fact, you are not called to any
public work; but even in private conversations a word spoken at the station,
how good! You need not be a drone; you will not want opportunities to do good
in various ways. Hearing about you or you will always be a pleasure. -- My dear
Jenny,
With great affection.
To Mrs. Jane Armstrong, Athlone. [3]
I am glad that God's
providence has brought you to Wallingford
I am glad that God's
providence has brought you to Wallingford, if only for the sake of poor Miss Hartly.
Hartly. [See the August 3 letter to Miss Hartly. March.] She has departed us
for a season when we could receive her again forever. This should be an
encouragement to you to work with others who are regressing
For Hannah Ball
LONDON, January 24, 1771.
MY DEAR SISTER,-- The right
way is, Doing and doing the will of our Lord,
We are still preparing to
receive our reward. [See Poetical Works of J. and C. Wesley, vol. 427.]
Continue constantly doing and suffering the holy and acceptable will of God.
Sometimes it pleases Him to let us sow much seed before there is any visible
fruit. But often much comes suddenly, at a time and in a way we least expected.
Thus God confounds human wisdom, and limits the glorifier to glory in the Lord.
I am glad that God's
providence has brought you to Wallingford, if only for the sake of poor Miss
Hartly. Hartly. [See the August 3 letter to Miss Hartly. March.] She has
departed us for a season when we could receive her again forever. That should
be an encouragement to you to work with others who are regressing. No one is
ruined as long as he comes out of hell.--I am, my dear sister,
Your affectionate brother. [4]
If at any time Providence
seems to call upon any one to renounce these advantages
If at any time Providence
seems to call upon any one to renounce these advantages, I would sincerely
advise him not to rely on his own understanding (less in this case than in any
other), but to consult one or more spiritual friends, and to resolutely defend
his reward
LONDON,
February 11, 1775.
MY DEAR SISTER,-- Being
able to relieve those who are needy is an excellent fruit of this self-denial.
But you must not imagine that this will be the only one. No: you have a message
from God for some of those to whom no one dares to tell the plain truth; and He
will confirm the word of His messenger, especially those who are in weakness,
pain, or under any kind of affliction. At this time, greatness remains far
away, and they are as approachable as ordinary people.
In religion, as in all
other things, it is 'use that brings perfection.' I have long suffered from the
same infirmity as you; and I find only one way to conquer. Take up your cross;
When the occasion arises, break through: Speak, even if it be pain and sorrow
to you. And it will be easier and easier, until you resemble an eminent
surgeon, who once said to my brother, 'Mr. Wesley, you know I would not hurt a
fly, I would not cause pain to any living being. But if it were necessary, I
could shave all the flesh off a man's bones, and never turn my head again.'
A clear conviction of the
superior advantages of a single life certainly implies a call from God to abide
in it, supposing the person to have received this gift from God. But we know
that not all can receive this saying; and I think no one ought to make vows
about it, because, though we know what we are, and what we can make new, we do
not yet know what we shall be. The spiritual advantages of this state are
listed in the little treatise on the subject, together with the proper means to
be used by those who wish to maintain these advantages. If at any time
Providence seems to call upon any one to renounce these advantages, I would
earnestly advise him not to lean upon his own understanding (less in this case
than in any other), but to consult one or more spiritual friends, and to
resolutely defend his reward.
With affection.
To Miss Bishop. Near the
Bath of the Cross, in Bath. [5]
It was a providence that
the flood did not begin at night
For
Ms. Rogers
February
9, 1789.
MY DEAR HETTY, -- I am glad
to know that you do not tire or faint in your mind, which is increasing in
holiness. Go forth in the name of the Lord and in the power of His power, doing
the will of God from the heart.
It was a providence that
the flood did not begin at night, but rather during the day. Thus judgment is
usually mingled with mercy, that sinners may be awakened and not destroyed. I
was very fond of staying at Brother Laffan [See February 9, 1783.] when I was
last in Cork; but I should certainly like much more to be staying with Brother
Rogers and you. I shall feel more at home with you than anywhere else in Cork.
I still feel (bless God) a gradual increase of strength, and my vision is
better than worse. If my life and health continue, I shall endeavour to reach
Dublin about the end of March, and Cork before the end of June. Peace be upon
your spirits! -- I am, my dear Hetty,
With all the affection. [6]
It seems to me that you
have drawn the right conclusion from this remarkable providence
For
Thomas Roberts
LONDON, February 12, 1789.
DEAR TOMMY, -- You really
send me good news. I congratulate you on your deliverance. [See letter of
January 18, 1788 to him.] It is not a small one. Only He who is all-powerful
has been able to break these ties. Many years ago I was in exactly the same
case; and at that moment, when I came to these words in the Lesson of the day,
'Son of man, behold, I take away the desire of thy eyes with one blow,' [See
letter of February 14, 1786.] I was quite astonished, and could not read a word
more at that time. But then I realized that God was wiser than I was.
It seems to me that you
have drawn the right conclusion from this remarkable providence. Surely God now
gives you a strong call to devote yourself to God in a single life. I advise
you to read with much prayer the Notes on I Corinthians 7. And remember the
wise direction of Kempis, [Book I. chap. viii.] 'Avoid all good women and
entrust them to God.' --I am, dear Tommy,
Your affectionate brother. [7]
Perhaps
there was some end of Divine Providence
As
your speech at Mr. Hunt's was not something premeditated, I see no harm in it,
and indeed you were so surrounded by a coincidence of circumstances that I do
not know how I could have avoided it. Perhaps there was some end of Divine
Providence
To
Sarah Mallet
LONDON, February 21, 1789.
MY DEAR SISTER, -- As your
speech at Mr. Hunt's was not something premeditated, I see no harm in it, and
indeed you were so surrounded by a coincidence of circumstances that I know not
how I could have avoided it. Perhaps there was some end of Divine Providence
(unknown to us) to be answered by it. Therefore I do not regret in the least
that it fell thus. But you must expect to be reproached for it.
But I was a little
surprised a while ago when someone talking about you said, 'Sally Mallet is not
as serious as Betty Reeve.' I found Sally Mallet as serious as any young woman
in Norfolk. Be careful in all your actions, and you will never want any help
that is within reach of my dear Sally,
With affection. [8]
To ask whether God's
providence should be still more evident in his favor
To Walter Churchey
DUBLIN, June 20, 1789.
MY DEAR BROTHER, -- Michael [Fenwick] is an original. He tells
innumerable lies, many of them plausible enough. But many speak with the same
credibility as he does, and those who can believe him can believe him. I do not
doubt that some of his verse, as well as his prose, will reach the hearts of
some of the rich.
Dr. Coke made two or three minor alterations to the Prayer Book without
my knowledge. [The Sunday Service of the Methodists. A new edition was printed
in 1788. See Bibliography, Appendix, pp. vii-ix, and Nos. 376, 390; letter also
of September 10, 1784.] I have taken special care all the while not to alter
anything merely for the sake of alteration. In religion, I am in favor of as
few innovations as possible. I love the old wine more. And if it were only for
that, I prefer 'which' rather than 'who is in heaven.'
Mr. Howard is indeed an extraordinary man. [Wesley met John Howard on
July 28, 1787, at Dublin: 'I think one of the greatest men in Europe.' He
visited Wesley in March, 1789, but found him absent on one of his travels. See
Diary, vii. 295, 472n.] God has raised him up to be a blessing to many nations.
I doubt not that there has hitherto been something more than natural in his
preservation, and I should not wonder whether the providence of God should be
still more evident in his favor.
In about three weeks, I hope to embark for England. Peace be with you
and yours! -- I am
Your affectionate brother. [9]
I think God's providence put it in my hands
Duty is all I consider.
Trouble and reproaches I do not value. And I am not at all sure that I can,
with good conscience, discard what I think the providence of God has placed in
my hands
To your brother Charles
WHITEHAVEN, May 6, 1774.
DEAR BROTHER,--With or
without Mr. Southcote, he does not need to publish nonsense, which he has
already done in a hundred places.
I will give nothing or spend any of it—not a shilling; and what is paid
can only be repaid. Nothing is diverted by this means from any reason.
You told me that Mr. D[avies] accepted your mare. But surely there are
more mares in the kingdom!
I have never said a word about 'publishing after my death.' I have
judged it my duty to publish it now; and I have as much struggle to believe in
one way as any man has to believe in another. I was glad at the opportunity to
declare myself in my head. I ask Hugh Bold to let me think as well as he does,
and to believe that my judgment will go as far as his. I have no doubt about
the contents of both Glanvill's and Cotton Mather's narratives. So, at this
point, you who are otherwise minded, bear with me.
Veniam petimusque damusque vicissim. Remember, I am, after full
consideration and seventy years of experience, as obstinate in my opinion as
you are in yours. Don't you think the confusions at my father's house were a
Cock Lane story? Peace be upon you and yours! [10]
I admire the wise and gracious dispensations of
Divine Providence
I admire the wise and gracious dispensations of
Divine Providence! Never before has there been so high a call to all who are
under your roof. If you have not hitherto sufficiently considered you or the
God of your fathers, what is more calculated to convince you than to see you
hovering so long on the borders of the grave
To your brother Charles
BRISTOL, March 17, 1785.
DEAR BROTHER, - I am just
beginning my journey north; but you must make time to write two or three lines.
I admire the wise and gracious dispensations of Divine Providence! Never before
has there been so high a call to all who are under your roof. If they have not
hitherto sufficiently considered you or the God of your fathers, what is more
calculated to convince them than to see you hovering so long on the borders of
the grave [Charles Wesley lived three years longer.] And I really believe that
if they will receive the warning, God will raise you up again. I know you have
the sentence of death within you; me too for more than twelve years. I know
that nature is utterly exhausted; but is not nature subject to His word? I do
not depend on doctors, but on Him who raises the dead. Just let your whole
family stir and pray instantly; then I have only to say to each one, 'If you
can believe, you will see the glory of God.' 'Be strong in the Lord and in the
power of His power.'
Goodbye. [11]
Providence allowed reckless men three miles
from me
Certainly Providence allowed imprudent men three
miles from me, who preferred to be always by my side
To your brother Charles
NEAR EDINBURGH, MAY 18, 1786.
DEAR BROTHER, Then Sister Horton is at peace. This may be a blessed
visit to Mr. Horton. Perhaps this will prove to be one of the greatest
blessings he has ever received in his life. I hope you have written to Mr.
Durbin. Alas, what good would riches be to you! [See letter of May 3.]
Certainly Providence allowed imprudent men within three miles of me, who
preferred to be always by my side. [12]
When God's providence sent you to Salisbury
When God's providence sent you to Salisbury, I
hoped you would be useful to that poor widower. But let him remember now that
he cannot serve God halfway. Let him not think of being almost a Christian
For Ms. Pywell
LONDON, January 26, 1773
MY DEAR SISTER,-- When the
providence of God sent you to Salisbury, I hoped you would be of use to that
poor widower. But let him remember now that he cannot serve God halfway. Let
him not think of being almost a Christian. If he would do something for purpose,
let him instantly get rid of all weights, and run evenly and steadily the race
that is before him. Now let him be completely obedient to the heavenly call. Probably he will have no
more connections.
Your very soul will be quickened if you earnestly exhort believers,
without fear or shame, to seek as full salvation as possible now, and that by
simple faith. At every opportunity, encourage Mr. Asbury to do this in all
plainness. Then the Lord will be with him wherever he goes, and see the fruit
of his labor. I hope he will give you employment, that you will have a band or
two, if not a class also. A few hours you may also spend very well in visiting
the sick. Redeem time, be zealous! Be active, and you will be nearer and nearer
to my dear sister,
Your affectionate brother. [13]
I believe
Providence calls you to this
No, I do not forbid you to be attached to us. I
believe that Providence calls you to this. I only warn you of what would
diminish your usefulness. On this subject I never allow myself to reason
CHESTER, March 16. 1771.
DEAR JOSEPH,
-- No, I do not forbid you to be attached to us. I believe that
Providence calls you to this. I only warn you of what would diminish your usefulness.
On this subject, I never allow myself to reason. I must quickly convince myself
that I am a deist, perhaps an atheist. I am glad that you do not put stress on
it. We have better subjects to put our thoughts into practice.
A babe in Christ (of whom I
know thousands) sometimes has the testimony. A young man (in St. John's sense)
has it continually. I believe that he who is perfected in love, or filled with
the Holy Ghost, may properly be called a father. We should press both infants
and young men to aspire—yes, to wait. And why not now? I would have you give
another reading to the Simple Account of Christian Perfection.—I am, dear
Joseph,
Your affectionate brother.
P.S.--While I am in Ireland, you need only go straight to Dublin. I am
afraid that soft words prevailed over Mr. Fletcher and convinced him that it
was all his fault. He promised to write to me from Wales, but I did not receive
a single line.
To Mr. Benson, at Edmund Hall, Oxon. [14]
Providence
saw the good of testing you for many years in the furnace of affliction
To Ann Bolton
EPWORTH, June 28, 1784.
MY DEAR NANCY, - The strong and tender affection I have
for you makes your letters always welcome. Providence has seen the good of
testing you for many years in the furnace of affliction, but all will work
together for your good. You will lose nothing but your filth. I wonder you do
not find a person who knows how to sympathize with you. Surely there must be
such a one in the Witney Society; though I have not yet met them, perhaps for
want of prayer for it. I advise you to make it a sincere prayer; and surely God
will give you a friend. Accommodability is only the art of becoming all things
to all men without hurting our own conscience. St. Paul commands in these
words: 'Give thanks to all men for the sake of their edification.' Basic rules
will hardly teach us how to do this. But those who have a single eye can reach
it, by the grace of God, through reflection and experience. - I am, my dear
Nancy,
Very affectionately yours.
To Miss Bolton. Near Witney,
Oxfordshire. [15]
A good Providence has
given you someone with whom you can see and correspond more easily
I am glad, therefore,
that a good Providence has given you one with whom you can see and correspond
more easily. [Probably Hannah Ball.] You can certainly trust her in every
situation; and she has understanding, pity, and experience
To Ann Bolton
DUBLIN, July 8, 1785.
MY DEAR NANCY, - It
is doubtless convenient for you to have a friend whom you can fully trust, who
may be always near you or at a short distance, and ready to be consulted on all
occasions. It was the time when you took your mother to be your friend; and (to
speak freely) I loved you without common affection. I 'loved you'—no, I still
do; my heart warms with you as I write. But I am usually at too great a
distance, so that you cannot converse with me when you would like. I am glad,
therefore, that a good Providence has given you one with whom you can more
easily see and correspond. [Probably Hannah Ball.] You can certainly trust her
in every situation; and she has understanding, pity, and experience. She can
therefore perform those offices of friendship which I would be glad to perform
if I were near you. But where you can, give me the pleasure of seeing you. You
know, as long as I have a house, you'll always be welcome in it.
I wish for the
Brethren's Day [Simon Day, then in the Oxfordshire Circuit. The Conference was
opened that day in London.] to meet in London, on the 16th of the present
present. I do not know how there can be more preaching by the itinerant
preachers unless it has more preachers; which, indeed, it might easily be if
their well-to-do men did not love their money more than they love their souls.
I hope that neither marriage nor business will make Neddy
[Edward Bolton, her brother, whose daughter, Mrs. Marriott, delivered the
letter to Miss J. Ayliff at Witney in 1861.] less zealous for God or less
active in his work. Peace be upon all your spirits! "I am, my dear Nancy,
Always yours. [16]
A wise and gracious Providence that detained
him for so long in Withey
Surely it is a wise and gracious Providence
that has detained you so long at Withey. You have been sent there and still
remain there for the sake of the poor
To Ann Bolton
LONDON, January 24, 1778.
Surely
it is a wise and gracious Providence that has detained you so long at Withey.
You have been sent there, and still remain there for the sake of the poor. I
wish you could meet all the women of the Society, whether in the band or in the
class. Expose yourself among them as much as your strength and leisure will
permit. You were formerly the nursing mother of the Society; they have grown
and prospered under your hand, and have not prospered since. They have sighed
like poor orphans since you were taken from them. [See letter of January 11,
1775 to Francis Woffe.] Perhaps now they may arise and flourish again; and then
you will not think too much of your work. No doubt it would be helpful if some
of you would come together for just this purpose, to improve each other both in
Christian knowledge and in love. And you cannot insist too much on this
point—that, whatever our past experience, we are now more or less acceptable to
God as we improve the present moment. But it is no wonder that many are so
irritated by this statement, for it strikes at the root of Calvinism.
That you are tempted to
irritation, discontent, or anything else will not be loss as long as you are
conqueror over all, yes, more than conqueror by Him who loves you. And so, I
doubt not, you always will be; for your confidence is not in yourself, but in
Him. - My dear Nancy,
With all affection. [17]
It was well ordained by an infallible Providence
Though I could not doubt that it was well ordained by an infallible
Providence as a means of keeping her dead to all down there, and of quickening
her affection to the things above
To Lady
Maxwell
LONDONDERRY,
April 29; 1769.
MY DEAR LADY,-- Some time ago I was concerned to
learn from Edinburgh that you were ill [Lady Maxwell had been confined to her
house by sickness in March, but was now restored.]; though I could not doubt
that it was well ordained by an infallible Providence as a means of keeping you
dead to all down there, and of quickening your affection to the things above.
And, indeed, this is the rule by which the inhabitants of a better world judge
of good and evil. Whatever lifts the mind to God is good, and in the same
proportion as it does so. Whatever pulls the heart from its centre is evil, and
more or less so because it has more or less of that effect. Thus you have found
pain, sickness, bodily weakness as real goods, which bring you nearer and
nearer to the source of all happiness and holiness. And yet it is certain that
nature shrinks from pain, and that without any blame. Only at the very moment
when we say, 'If it be possible, let this cup pass from me,' the heart should
add as our great Standard, 'Yet not as I will, but as Thou wilt.' Lady Baird
[See letter of 9th September, 1768.] I did not see it before I left London; and
Lady K. B. I did not understand. She was exceedingly civilized, and I think
affectionate; but perfectly quiet, so that I knew no more of her state of mind
than if I had never seen her.--I am, my dear Lady,
His
ever-affectionate servant. [18]
I wait until Providence speaks more clearly
I have some ideas of going to America. But the path
is not yet clear. I wait until Providence speaks more clearly on one side or
the other
To Lady
Maxwell
LONDON,
February 17, 1770.
MY DEAREST MALADY,-- To us it may seem that
uninterrupted health would be a greater help than pain or sickness. But here we
are certainly mistaken; we are not so good judges in our own cause. You may
truly say, 'I shall have health if health is better.' But in this and in all
things you may trust him who loves you. Indeed, nervous disorders are, of all
others, as is observed, the enemies of the joy of faith. But the essence of it,
this confidence in a loving and forgiving God, they can neither destroy nor
injure Nay, as they keep you dead to all down there, they may lead you there,
and may increase your sincerity after that pure love which turns the earth into
paradise.
It will be with much effort and patience that
you will keep one firm in the high life, in the simple, old-fashioned way. I
would like you to talk to her as often as possible. Then I trust that God will
use you to keep alive the fire He has kindled. I have high hopes that the
chapel will be useful; but it will not be easy to get a converted clergyman. A
master will be easier to find; though many here will be frightened by the name
of Scotland. A dedicated teacher can look after twenty or perhaps thirty children.
If someone I have seen recently is willing to come, I believe he will respond
to your plan.
I have some ideas of going to America [See
letters of January 25th and February 21st (to George Whitefield).]; But the way
is not yet clear. I wait until Providence speaks more clearly on one side or
the other. In April I hope to reach Inverness and take Edinburgh on my way back
to England. But let us live today! What a blessing you may receive now!
Now let
your heart flow with love,
And all his
life may His glory be shown!
--I am, my
dear lady, Your ever-affectionate servant. [19]
God's providence intervened notably in behalf of
the poor at Whitehaven
The providence of God has intervened remarkably in
behalf of the poor in Whitehaven. I hope there will be more peace among them,
and more life than there has been for some time
For Thomas Wride
LONDON, February 14, 1771.
DEAR TOMMY,-- If we live to
August, the case of David Evans [David Evans was a preacher on trial at
Haworth. Sister Evans is among the wives of preachers to be met. He ceased his
travels in 1776.] must be thoroughly investigated. I don't see you can do more
in regard to Longtown.
Your affectionate friend and brother. [20]
To do good to those whom Providence places in his
hands
Now you have time for that and to do good to whom
Providence gives into your hands. Peace be with your spirit
MY DEAR SALLY, -- You will have as many friends as you like for your
sake; and why should not my Betty Ritchie be in the number I should expect from
it, if I live to see London again, which it probably will be in three weeks.
If seawater has this effect on you, of course you should not drink it.
[See letters of September 1, 1788, and September 17, 1790.] The whole body is
full of absorbent pores. You absorb enough water like this. If your appetite
increases, your strength also increases, though in insensible degrees.
I've seen John Henderson several times. I hope he doesn't live in any
sin. But it's a big disadvantage that he has nothing to do. I hope we find
something for him.
I have a work in hand that
will give you pleasure: I have begun to write the Life of my brother. [This
work he never accomplished. He died before he had made much progress in
collecting material. See Charles Wesley, ii. of Jackson. 454; and letter of September
26.] Now, in this you can help me a lot. You knew as much about him as most
people; And you have a witness's pen ready. Write down everything you can
remember about him. I think between us we will be able to understand something.
You can put everything you can think of; I can choose the portion that is most
suitable. Now you have time for that and to do good to whom Providence gives
into your hands. Peace be with your spirit! -- I am, my dear Sally,
Your fondly tender. [21]
Until Providence opens a way
And it's usually more profitable when they can do
it in person. Until Providence makes way for you to see Europe do all it can
for a good Master
To Garrettson Freely
DUBLIN, June 26, 1785.
MY DEAR BROTHER, - Dr. Coke gives an account of you in one of his
Diaries; so, though I have not seen you, I am no stranger to your character.
Please send me, when you have opportunity, a more particular account of your
experiences and travels. However, it is not improbable that God will find a way
for you to visit England; and it may be a means of your receiving more strength
as well as more light. It is very desirable that the children of God should
communicate their experiences to one another; and it is generally more
profitable when they can do so in person. Until Providence opens a way for you
to see Europe do all it can for a good Master in America.
I am glad that Brother Cromwell and you have done this labour of love,
visiting Nova Scotia, and doubt not that you act in full harmony with the
little handful who were almost alone until you arrived. It will be the wisest
way to make all those who wish to unite thoroughly acquainted with the whole
Methodist plan, and to accustom them from the first to the precise observance
of all our rules. Let none of them rest in being half a Christian. Whatever
they do, let them do it with their strength; and it will be better, as soon as
any of them find peace with God, to exhort them to go on to perfection. The
stronger and more vigilant you press all believers to aspire to entire
sanctification, as now possible by simple faith, the more the whole work of God
will prosper.
I do not expect great matters from the Bishop. I doubt that his eye is
not single; and if it is not, he will do little good either to you or to anyone
else. It may be a comfort to you to know that you do not need him. You do not
want anything that he can give.
It is a noble proposal of
Mr. Marchington's; but I doubt it will not happen. You do not know the state of
the English Methodists. They do not turn into money, as many American
Methodists do. It is with extreme difficulty that we can raise five or six hundred
pounds a year to meet our own contingent expenses. So that it is utterly
impracticable to raise five hundred pounds among them to build houses in
America. It is true that they could do much; but it is sad to observe that he
who has more money has generally less elegance.
May God's peace be with all your spirits! - I am
Your affectionate friend and brother. [22]
Follow the path that God's providence points out
It is surprising that, from one end of the earth to the other, so little good is done on a regular basis. What have you to do but follow the path that God's providence points out? And when they drive you out of Smithsby, you know where to find both employment and the things necessary for the body
For Walter Sellon
LONDON, December 1, 1757.
MY DEAR BROTHER--If but one
stone were removed, the thing might be affected at once. Only John Brandon
[John Brandon, a dragon, formed a little society at Leicester, which Wesley
visited in April, 1757. It became itinerant in 1765.] to spend a month or two
in London or any other part of England, and I will immediately send another
preacher to Leicester, Ashby, and the neighbouring places. But during the
present shortage of labourers, we cannot devote a second to this little circuit
until you spare us the first. It is surprising that, from one end of the earth
to the other, so little good is done on a regular basis. What have you to do
but follow the path which God's providence points out? And when they drive you
out of Smithsby, you know where to find both employment and the things
necessary for the body. I also think it will be very profitable to your soul to
be near those who have more experience in the ways of God. -- I am
Your affectionate brother. [23]
It is up to us to wait for the openings of Divine
Providence and follow its guidelines
I do not know whether England has ever been in so
tranquil a state before as she is now. It is up to us to await the openings of
Divine Providence and to follow its directions.
To William Black
March 1790.
MY DEAR
BROTHER, -- I am glad to hear that you have had some increase in the work of
God in Halifax. If you will take care that the brethren do not fall out of the
way, and that there is no jealousy or coldness among the preachers, but you all
go on in peace and harmony, there will be an increase of it everywhere. I have
high hopes that the days of cold and darkness are past, and that the Sun of
Righteousness is rising over Nova Scotia also. O stir up the gift of God that
is in you, and wrestle with God in mighty prayer. He is doing great deeds in
many parts of Europe, something that has not been seen for many generations
[See letter of February 4.]; and the children of God expect to see greater
things than these. I do not know if England has ever been in so tranquil a
state as she is now. It is up to us to wait for the openings of Divine
Providence and follow its directions. -- I am
Your affectionate friend and
brother. [24]
With
the rushing torrent of His sudden providence
What happened
to my fearful caution? The Lord destroyed it . Not, indeed, with the breath
of His mouth, but with the rushing torrent of His sudden providence. Take
notice of this, and resolve in the bright heart: may the Lord be feared,
honored, and obeyed even in the midst of lions; or make us feel the weight of
His lifted up hand
To Samuel Furley
SUNDON, March 7, 1758.
DEAR SAMMY,-- You
have done a good job in writing to me in the first week of this month. I would
be glad if you would continue with it regularly. And you have done an excellent
job in giving me the full and particular account of that (I must say unlucky)
accident. For really non satis mihi constiterat cum aliquane animi mei molestia
an potirer libenter accepi. [Cicero to Gaius Mymius, Epistolae ad diversos,
xiii. 1: 'It is not clear whether I should receive it with a certain sense of
distress or accept it cheerfully.'] I am grieving, worried about the
consequences that may occur. But I am satisfied, I rejoice that the Lord has
done such a work of conviction in that poor Pharisee. Yes, I cannot help but be
extremely glad that they do not work innem cepisse. ['That I have not begun a
useless task'] Nor am I sorry, but rather pleased that you lent her [See letter
of November 20, 1756.] that little 'treatise of awakening.' On hearing this for
the first time, indeed, my spirit was troubled; confusion of mind overcame me,
seized partly by fear, partly by sorrow, and partly by astonishment. But why do
we fear, or why are we cast down? The Lord God Omnipotent reigns. And may He
not bring all things back to His glory? How long will the vainglorious enemy
triumph? No longer (at least) than the breath is in his nostrils; and then all
his vain thoughts shall perish. But they have not yet overcome the day. Who
knoweth but the Lord can give peace, love, power, and the spirit of sound mind
to her who, for a time, is deeply afflicted by the cruel and overwhelming power
of Satan. At a time when the wicked do not think of it, the Lord may arise and
maintain His own cause, and silence the vains of the proud. That all around may
see, fear, and acknowledge, 'This is the Lord's work.' What He does now we do
not yet know. It is our business to wait patiently to see what He will do.
Quietus esto. Be calm in the midst of this storm. I pity you, indeed, who are
right in the midst of it. For my part, I leave the matter unconcerned in the hands
of Him who will not, cannot err; but not without feeling much shame to myself.
I did not arrange my conversation aright the whole time I was in the place; I
was afraid of offending: therefore I assumed too much the appearance of one of
them. I dared not be altogether singular, to be constantly, constantly serious
before them. Now, by this circumstance, the Lord rebuked me, and taught me
wisdom. Here He allowed not a little offence to arise from a neighbourhood
which I could neither foresee nor avoid. Where is all my worldly prudence now?
What has become of my fearful caution? The
Lord has destroyed it. Not, indeed, with the breath of His mouth, but with the
rushing torrent of His sudden providence. Take notice of this,
and resolve in the bright heart: let the Lord be feared, honoured, and obeyed
even in the midst of lions; or make us feel the weight of His raised hand. I
feel this moment as my just punishment for my base cowardice. This sin weighs more
heavily on my conscience at this moment than almost all my crimes and all the
transgressions of my youth. And a sin that rests upon the conscience is a
weight of misery.
There is no time to give you any particular relation
about me, that case having prolonged my letter too long. I am at present
studying, I make only slow progress. I am not at all pleased with myself at
this time. I have just begun the History of Lord Clarendon, which is an account
of the ways, vices, and passions of men that one who knew not the corruption of
human nature could hardly be induced to believe in his fellow-men. I will
conclude this letter by stating that I would like God that such a deep work of
conviction should be done in his heart and mine as God began in that poor
afflicted woman; I would like us also to feel the arrows of the Lord caught in
our conscience, just as she did. Oh when shall we repent, with this penetrating
sense, of all our sins and all our backslidings? It is not the time for the
time to come for us to be spared today. God knows if we shall be tomorrow. But
this we know that whatever knowledge, whatever gifts we have, purity of heart
will only be of real value in the end. To the earnest pursuit whereby I admire
your being. Yours, etc. (1) It is the love of God. It hath heights, depths,
strength stronger than death. (2) Of God in Christ. What sweetness of it. Best
of all. No changes. [25]
Providence marked them as friends among themselves
It is well
that you should know our sister who is also sometimes employed in the same
labor of love; Providence has marked you out as friends with each other, and
there should be no reservations between you. Pour out all your thoughts,
troubles, and temptations into each other's bosom. God will often comfort and
strengthen you for one another!
To Sarah Mallet
BRISTOL,
July 31, 1790.
DEAR SALLY,
-- I do not remember ever receiving any letter from you that I have not
answered. I should have been afraid that my silence might cause you pain; and
that I would not do at all. I am glad that you have broken off that
relationship which could not but be a snare to you. Nothing is more profitable
to us than to cut off a right hand or pluck out a right eye. If you continue in
the work to which God has called you, you will often have occasion for it. You
will have trials and more trials. But what then? Is not His grace sufficient
for you? And has He not opened in every temptation a way for you to escape that
you may endure it? Let not your hands hang down; God is on your side. And if
you are rebuked for His name's sake, happy are you; and the spirit of glory and
of God will rest upon you. If you want to have any books, let me know, and I
will give orders to the Assistant. [See letters of December 15, 1789, and
December 13, 1790.] It is well that you should know our sister [Elizabeth
Reeve. See letters of February 21, 1789, and December 13, 1790.] who is also
sometimes employed in the same labor of love; Providence has marked you as
friends with each other, and there should be no reservations between you. Pour
out all your thoughts, troubles, and temptations into each other's bosom. God
will often comfort and strengthen you for one another! May his peace remain
continually with you both! -- I am, my dear Sally, [26]
I believe that Providence will direct me to the North of Ireland or to
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Here I am, waiting for a passage to the Isle of
Man. I don't know where I'll go from there. But I believe that Providence will
direct me to the North of Ireland or to Newcastle-upon-Tyne
To your niece Sarah Wesley
WHITEHAVEN, May 28, 1781.
MY DEAR SALLY, -- Here I am, waiting for a passage to the Isle of Man. I
don't know where I'll go from there. But I believe that Providence will direct
me to the North of Ireland or to Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
Your fondly tender.
To Miss Wesley. Wesley, in Chesterfield Street,
Marybone, London. [27]
There
seems to have been a particular providence in Hannah Harrison's coming to
Beverley
LONDON, November 26, 1768.
MY DEAR SISTER,--
There seems to have been a particular providence in Hannah Harrison's coming to
Beverley, especially at that time when a peacemaker was so wanting; and it was
a promise that God would withhold from you no good thing.
Do you feel, when it is proved on a sensitive point, that
there is no temper contrary to love sorrow; but is there no resentment or
anger? Do you feel an unvarying calmness of spirit? Do you perceive nothing but
pity and tenderness of good will, both at the time and afterwards?
Write to me about the trials you face. You can always
direct to London, and the letter will come safely. Expect more faith and love
every day.
Your affectionate brother. [28]
There
is often something very mysterious in the ways of divine Providence
There is often something very mysterious in the
ways of divine Providence. Some of them we can understand; but much more is
beyond our comprehension, and we must be content to say, 'What you do I do not
know now, but I will know hereafter.'
LONDON, November 13, 1778.
MY DEAR SISTER, I am glad that
Sister Crosby has been to Beverley and that you have had an opportunity to hear
her. She is useful wherever she goes, especially to excite believers to go on
to perfection.
There is often something very
mysterious in the ways of divine Providence. Some of them we can understand;
but much more is beyond our comprehension, and we must be content to say, 'What
thou doest I know not now, but I shall know hereafter.' For the moment, it is
enough for me to know that all His ways are mercy and truth to those who love
Him.
Even in these troubled times, there is a very
considerable increase in God's work. Hold fast to Him with all your heart, and
you will have more and more reason to praise Him. -I am, my dear Jenny,
Your affectionate brother. [29]
An admirable providence
It is an admirable Providence that keeps you so
weak in body until your soul has received more strength. It is good that you
feel how powerless you are, that you can lean on it continually
To Elizabeth Ritchie
PENZANCE, September 1, 1774.
MY DEAR BETSY,-- It is an
admirable Providence that keeps you so weak in body until your soul has
received more strength. It is good that you feel how powerless you are, that
you can lean on Him continually. Are you always conscious of His presence? In what
sense do you pray without ceasing? You can in everything give thanks and have a
testimony in yourself that everything you say and do is pleasing to Him.
If you could do constant exercise in the open air, I think you would
need no other remedy. But it is certain, whether your body is good or sick, all
is better as long as your soul remains in it. And why should it not be without
any interruption until your spirit returns to God—no, with a continual
increase? For this is your call to sink deeper and deeper into Him, to come out
of His fullness to receive more and more, until you know all this love of God
that imparts knowledge.
I hope you will not pass a day without spending time in private
exercise. What do you read at these stations? Do you read, as it were, by
chance? Or have you a method of reading? I want you to make the best possible
use of all means of improvement. Now is the time! Now you have the fervor of
youth on your side. Now the animal nature is in perfection. Now your faculties
are in force. And happy are you, who have been able to begin your race in times
of encounter! I hope you are now paying attention to this one thing—looking to
Jesus, and going forward to the goal, to the prize of our high calling! O run,
and never shoot! Thus your love and zeal will always be a comfort to
With affection. [30]
Perhaps
there is a Providence in this error
Perhaps there is a
Providence in this error. For if Mr. Williams is who he seems, he is deeply
devoted to God. You will have the money you want
To Joseph Benson
LONDON, January 31, 1768.
DEAR JOSEPH,--Tommy Taylor, we have tried. Therefore I do
not wish to part with him. But was T. Dancer beside himself? How was it
possible that he could write to me about another master without first
consulting him? I understood that what he wrote was written by all of you, and
so I immediately spoke to the young man, and asked him to let him know where he
was, that he might be free in March. Perhaps there is a Providence in this
error. For, if Mr. Williams is who he seems, he is deeply devoted to God. You will
have as much money as you want; if T. Lewis fetches from Mr. Franks for it, not
only sixty pounds, but (if necessary) sixty pounds... [31]
Stay until Providence opens
To James Curtie
NEAR LONDON, FEBRUARY 19, 1788.
MY DEAR BROTHER, -- Supposing that we could pray in faith for the
fulfillment of the promise made in the last chapter of St. Mark, there is no
doubt that it would be fulfilled now, as it was seventeen hundred years ago.
And I have known many instances of it both in England and elsewhere.
In fifty years we have been much molested in the field preaching, and
perhaps we shall be again. Those who live another fifty years will let it die
and be forgotten. No one will like to follow Mr. Bannclark's example.
Your affectionate brother. [32]
The trials
that a gracious Providence sends
The trials
which a gracious Providence sends may be precious means of growing in grace,
and particularly of increasing in faith, patience, and resignation; and are not
all chosen for us by Infinite Wisdom and Goodness
To Hester
Ann Roe
BRISTOL,
October 6, 1776.
MY DEAR HETTY,--Tomorrow I will depart for
London; in and near them, if God will continue my life, I will remain until
spring. The trials which a gracious Providence sends may be precious means of
growing in grace, and particularly of increasing in faith, patience, and
resignation; and are they not all chosen for us by Infinite Wisdom and Goodness
so that we may well subscribe to these beautiful lines,--
With a
patient mind, his duty runs;
God does
nothing, nor does He allow it to be done,
But you'd
do it to yourself if you could see
The end of
all events, just like Him.
All that we
can do for a father we ought to do—that is, all that we can do without killing
ourselves. But that we have no right to do. Our lives are not at our disposal.
Remember this, my dear Hetty, and do not carry a good principle too far. Do you
still think that
Labor is
rest, and pain is sweet,
When You,
my God, are here
I know that pain or grief does not interrupt
your happiness; but does it not diminish? You often feel sorrow for your
friends; Is that sorrow faster than it has depressed your soul? Does it sink
you deeper into God? Go forward in the strength of the Lord. Beware for
nothing. Live today. Then you will still be a comfort to, my dear Hetty,
You always affectionate. [33]
In obedience to the command of Providence
You must cut wood, or carry bricks and mortar; and when you do this in obedience to the command of Providence, it will be more profitable to your own soul than to the other
To Miss March
LONDON, February 7, 1776.
I have met some uneducated poor who have exquisite taste and feeling;
and many, many, of the rich who have scarcely any. But I speak of it not: I
want you to converse more, abundantly, with the poorest of the people, who, if
they have no taste, have souls, which they may carry on their way to heaven.
And they have (many of them) faith and love of God in greater measure than any
that I know. To invade this in spite of filth and a hundred disgusting
circumstances, thus driving away the lady. Do not confine your conversation to
kind and elegant persons. I would like it as much as you do; but I can find no
precedent for it in the life of our Lord or any of His Apostles. My dear
friend, let you and I walk as He walked.
I now understand you in
regard to the Perronets; but I am afraid in this you are too delicate. It is
certain that your preaching is accompanied by the power of God to the hearts of
many; and why not to yours? Is it not for want of simplicity? 'Will you listen,
Mr. Wesley?' said a friend of Mr. Blackwell's. 'No,' he replied, 'I will listen
to God: I listen to Him, who preaches; otherwise I lose all my work.'
'You will only be satisfied
with converting worlds. You must chop wood, or carry bricks and mortar; and
when you do this in obedience to the command of Providence, it will be more
profitable to your own soul than to the other.' You may recall another comment
by Mr. De Renty: 'Then I perceived that a well-educated Christian is never
hindered by anyone or thing. For whatever hinders him from doing good works
gives him a new opportunity of submitting his will to the will of God; which,
at that moment, is more pleasing to God, and more profitable to his soul than
anything else he can do.'
Never let your expenses outweigh your income. To servants I would give
as much as others give for the same service, and no more. It is impossible to
lay down general rules about 'saving all we can' and 'giving all we can.' In
this, it seems, we need to be guided from time to time by the anointing of the
Holy One. Evil spirits have, no doubt, much work to do in an evil world; often
in agreement with wicked men, and often without them.
What I advise is not to make friends with or even to meet poor,
unfashionable, and uneducated persons, but often, or rather constantly, to
visit the poor, the widows, the sick, the fatherless in their affliction; and
this, though they ought to have nothing to commend them, except that they are
bought with the blood of Christ. It is true that this does not please flesh and
blood. [34]
Not by my choice, but God's
providence guided me
This report brought forth many of
what they call the best kind, so that it added at least a thousand to the usual
public; upon whom I laid (not by my choice, but the providence of God guided
me) those words of Isaiah: 'Fear not; for I am with thee: be not discouraged;
for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yes, I will help thee; yes, I will
uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.' My nose began to bleed in
the midst of the sermon
For James Hutton
BRISTOL, June 7, 1739.
MY DEAR BROTHER, -- After I returned from preaching at
Weavers, Hall, on Monday, many came to advise me with great sincerity 'not to
go to the Pottery in the afternoon, because of some terrible things that might
be done there if I went.' This report brought forth many of what they call the
best type, so that it added at least a thousand to the usual audience; upon
whom I imposed (not by my choice, but the providence of God guided me) those
words of Isaiah: 'Fear not; for I am with thee: be not discouraged; for I am
thy God: I will strengthen thee; yes, I will help thee; yes, I will uphold thee
with the right hand of my righteousness.' My nose began to bleed in the middle
of the sermon, [On his nosebleed at Oxford, see letter of 23 Sept. 1723 to his
mother.] but it soon stopped, so that I continued without interruption; and the
power of God fell on them all, so that the scoffers looked at one another, but
no one opened his mouth.[35]
Whenever Providence puts you in your way
You should not miss the chance to talk to him
whenever Providence puts you in his way. Don't let a voluntary humility stop
you for that. God can bless some common words
For Ann Loxdale
LONDON, October 8, 1785.
MY DEAR MISS LOXDALE,
- Not once, but I have often asked all the questions I could of you; indeed, as
much as I feared that you might suffer loss from the hard trials you have
endured. I should not have wondered if you had developed any degree of distrust
towards all who professed friendship or religion; I wonder how you escaped.
But, indeed, as long as you can say from the heart, 'Lord, not as I will, but
as you will,' no weapon formed against you will prosper. No doubt you have
enjoyed a little of His pure and perfect love. And just as you received it
initially by bare faith, only that you may receive it again; and who knows how
soon You cannot say,
If You can bend so much,
Friend of sinners, why not now
You send me comfortable news about Mrs. Eden. And surely
this gracious visit is made for a blessing not only to her, but also to her
poor husband. You must not miss the chance of speaking with him whenever
Providence puts you in your way. Do not let a voluntary humility stop you by
this. God may bless some common words. No, and may it not hinder you from
praying with and for your friends. I advise you, my dear Nancy, to begin
without delay. Why not today? Make haste, my friend, to do all that is for your
good or for any other soul. I thank you for writing to me freely. If I had you
now by the hand, I should say that you can never write or speak too freely, my
dear Miss Loxdale,
With all the affection. [36]
It was not by his own act and action, but rather by a stroke of Divine
Providence
I have not
regretted that you were discharged from the Army, since it was not by your own
act and action, but rather by a stroke of Divine Providence; and I doubt
whether this is to the glory of God
For William Smith
BIRMINGHAM,
March 21, 1790.
MY DEAR
BROTHER, -- I have not regretted that you were discharged from the Army, since
it was not by your own act and action, but rather by a stroke of Divine
Providence; and I doubt whether this is to the glory of God. The question was,
Which part of the vineyard would be best for you to work? I cannot, in reason,
consent to your being too long confined in the Londonderry Circuit. Is there
any part of Ireland which you prefer to others, or prefer to spend time in
England with which you can speak freely
Your
affectionate brother. [37]
In the new sphere of action to which Providence has called you
To Mrs. Christian (Ellen Gretton)
DUBLIN, April 25, 1783.
MY DEAR SISTER, -- In the new sphere of action to which Providence has
called you, [She had just been married. See the letter of February 16.] I trust
that you will find new zeal for God and new vigor as you seek every measure
that can contribute to the advancement of His kingdom. In one of my mother's
letters, you may notice something like your case. [See your mother's letters in
Stevenson's Wesley Family, pp. 194-7.] She began by only allowing two or three
of her neighbors to come to family prayers on Sunday evening. But they
increased to a hundred, yes, above a hundred and fifty. Go forward humbly and
constantly, consulting the Assistant at every point and pressing on to
perfection. -- I have love for Brother Christian, my dear sister,
Your affectionate brother. [38]
[1]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/
[2]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/
[3]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/
[4]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[5]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/
[6]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/
[7]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/
[8]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/
[9]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/
[10]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1774/
[11]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1785/
[12]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1785/
[13] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1778/
[14]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[15]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1784/
[16]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1785/
[17]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1778/
[18] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1769/
[19]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1770/
[20]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[21]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1788/
[22]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1785/
[23]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1757/
[24] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/
[25]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1758/
[26]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/
[27]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1781/
[28]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1768/
[29]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1778/
[30]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1774/
[31]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1768/
[32]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1788/
[33]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1776/
[34] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1776/
[35]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1739/
[36]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1785/
[37]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/
[38]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1783/
Comentários
Postar um comentário