The Captains in Wesley's Life and the Methodist Movement

 

Odilon Massolar Chaves 

 


Copyright © 2026, Odilon Massolar Chaves

All rights reserved to the author.

It is allowed to read, copy and share for free.

Article 184 of the Penal Code and Law 96710 of February 19, 1998.

Books published in the Wesleyan Digital Library: 893

Books published by the author: 933

Cover:https://www.umc.org/en/content/unsung-heroes-of-methodism-thomas-webb

Odilon Massolar Chaves is a retired Methodist pastor, with a doctorate in Theology and History from the Methodist University of São Paulo.

Son of Rev. Adherico Ribeiro Chaves and Roza Massolar Chaves.

He is married to RoseMary.

He has two daughters: Liliana and Luciana.

His thesis dealt with the Methodist revival in England in the eighteenth century and its contribution as a paradigm for our days.

 

Table of Contents

 

·       Introduction

·       The captains in Wesley's life

·       Who was Captain Richard Williams

·       Captain Foy's suggestion

·       Why we should trust the Captain of our salvation

·       He is a man of fire, and the power of God constantly accompanies his word

·       Remember the Captain of your salvation

·       You honor me too much

·       I believe it will be published in one of the following magazines

·       I think the lines about Slavery will do well

·       I believe we can count on Captain over America

·       It's time to embark for America

·       Peace and victory over sin are essential to faith in the Captain of our salvation

·       Captain Webb was not sent to you as to the unawakened world

·       Captain James Whitefield, master of a ship

·       We have captains of our warships who don't swear at all

·       I am glad to hear about the present prosperity of God's work among you

·       Captain Webb's Plan to Help Her Majesty

·       You did right by Captain Colmer

·       You send me a pleasant account of God's work in Cornwall

·       Tell Captain Rd. Williams

·       The captain did not think it advisable to set sail

·       Supporting multiple accusations against John Wesley

·       Only a few could think that silence is proof of guilt

·       How many soldiers can reasonably expect to recruit from among the Methodists

 

Introduction

 

"The Captains in Wesley's Life and the Methodist Movement" is a 38-page book based especially on Wesley's letters.

It is not simply a matter of being captains. Some were instrumental in the Methodist Movement, as the titles below show. In particular, Wesley highlights the "captain of our salvation":

·       The captain, commander of the ship that took Wesley to Georgia

·       The Captain Who Chased and Drove Wesley Out of Georgia

·       The Captain of our salvation

·       The Captain Who Gave Birth to the Methodist Class Meetings

·       The captain, who was an ardent preacher and was instrumental in the expansion of Methodism in America.

·       Captain Forbes, whose wife attended Methodism

·       The captain, brother of George Whitefield

·       Captain Jonathan Scott, the preacher who was an authentic Methodist

·       The captain who was a preacher, fought against slavery

 and helped establish Methodist societies

A book that shows Wesley's relationship with the military, especially with the captains in the Methodist Movement.

 

The Author

 

The captains in Wesley's life

 

We highlight some captains with whom Wesley deals:

 

The captain, commander of the ship that took Wesley to Georgia

 

Wesley recorded in his diary, Friday, January 23, 1735, when they were sailing to America:

 

"In the evening another storm began. In the morning it increased so much that the captain was forced to leave the helm of the ship. I could say nothing but "How is it that thou hast not faith?" as I was still unwilling to die. About one o'clock in the afternoon, almost as soon as I came out of the great cabin door, the wave did not break as usual, but came with a high and slippery tide over the side of the vessel. I was tossed aloft, and for a moment was so dazed that I could scarcely lift my head, before the sea returned it dead. But, thank God, I had no injury at all. About midnight the storm ceased." [1]

 

The Captain Who Chased and Drove Wesley Out of Georgia

 

Captain Robert Williams was a Georgia farmer who resented Wesley's stance on slavery.

He made accusations against Wesley, which forced him to flee Savannah.

"The Prosecution: Captain Robert Williams, a farmer and landowner in Georgia who already detested Wesley for his stances against slavery, recorded a  defamatory and formal affidavit (a sworn statement) against the clergyman. He accused Wesley of misconduct and of trying to pursue Sophia romantically. 

The Outcome: This legal and public persecution in Georgia is what forced John Wesley to secretly flee back to England in 1737. To defend himself against the accusations pamphleted by Captain Robert Williams on the streets, Wesley published excerpts from his own official journal (Journal) to prove his innocence. [2] 

To Captain Robert Williams, October 17, 1742, Wesley said, "But it would not be necessary first for Mr. Christie and you to meet and agree on your story, or else he might make more mistakes than you would like, and refute you instead of me. That is undeniable what he has done now, and that in the most relevant parts of his testimony." [3] 

 

The Captain of our salvation 

 

To Wesley, Jesus was our Captain of salvation.

"In the evening I went very grudgingly to a society, in Aldersgate Street, where the person was reading Luther's preface to the Epistle to the Romans. About a quarter to nine, while he was describing the changes which God works in the heart, by faith in Christ, I felt my heart strangely warmed. I felt that I had trusted in Christ—Christ alone, for salvation; and an assurance was given me that he had taken upon my sins, even my own, and had saved me from the law of sin and death. I began to pray with all my might for those who had, in a most special manner, spitefully used and persecuted me. Then I openly testified to all what I now, for the first time, felt in my heart. But not long before the enemy had suggested, "This cannot be faith; for where is thy joy?" I was then taught that peace and victory over sin were essential to faith in the Captain of our salvation; but as to the impartation of joy, which usually belongs to its beginning, especially in those who have deeply lamented, God sometimes withholds it, according to the deliberations of his own will." [4]

 

The Captain Who Gave Birth to the Methodist Class Meetings

 

Captain Foy was a crucial figure in the organizational history of Methodism, famous for unknowingly proposing the structure that gave rise to the "Class Meetings," the fundamental cell of the movement founded by John Wesley.

In February 1742, in Bristol, the local Methodists faced a large financial debt arising from the construction of The New Room chapel. During a meeting to discuss how to pay this bill, Captain Foy stood up and suggested that each member of the society contribute a penny a week until the debt was paid. [5]

In a letter to Vicar Vincent Perronet, a friend of Wesley and Methodism, on December 25, 1748, Wesley commented on how someone (Captain Foy) had given the suggestion that an important step in the Methodist organization was taken. [6]

 

The captain, who was an ardent preacher and was instrumental in the expansion of Methodism in America

 

Captain Webb was a Methodist preacher, who had lost an eye in battle and who preached with a sword from the pulpit. Wesley called him a "man of fire."

To Mrs. Bennis, on November 3, 1772, Wesley said, "I should have been glad if you had persuaded Captain Webb to visit me at Limerick: he is a man of fire, and the power of God constantly accompanies his word."

At Wesley's request, Captain Webb assisted in the beginning of Methodism in New York and Philadelphia.

To George Shadford, in 1773, Wesley said, "The time has come to embark for America. You must go down to Bristol, where you will meet Thomas Rankin, Captain Webb, and his wife." [7]

Captain Webb was in great demand. To his brother Charles, on December 15, 1772, Wesley said, "I believe we can count on the Captain over America. He has stayed long enough with you: send him to us." [8]

On October 24, 1779, Wesley wrote to the Methodist Societies supporting a plan of Captain Webb's: "I cannot but strongly approve of Captain Webb's plan to assist His Majesty in case of actual invasion. The details he will explain to you himself. This may be of more importance than it still appears." [9]

 

Captain Forbes, whose wife attended Methodism 

 

Captain Forbes' wife attended the Methodist society.

To Mrs. Rogers, on May 28, 1788, Wesley said, "I hope that you have already discovered Mrs. Forbes (Captain Forbes's wife), and that she is now more than almost convinced that she is a Christian." [10]

 

The captain, brother of George Whitefield

 

Wesley speaks of his sudden death. 

To Ebenezer Blackwell, on August 23, 1739, Wesley reported: "Captain James Whitefield, master of a ship, brother of George Whitefield, died suddenly in February 1766 at the Countess of Huntingdon's house in Bath." [11] 

 

Captain Jonathan Scott, the preacher who was an authentic Methodist  

 

Captain Jonathan Scott (1735–1807) was known as an ardent orator. He "served for 17 years in the 7th Regiment of Dragoons of the British Army, attaining the rank of lieutenant captain.

 

He was converted after hearing the preaching of prominent evangelical clergyman William Romaine (a strong ally of Selina Hastings, the Countess of Huntingdon, a central figure in Calvinist Methodism). Soon after his conversion, Scott began preaching to his own soldiers, gathering them in his quarters for prayer and Bible study.

As his regiment moved around England, he preached wherever he was—both indoors and outdoors, sometimes facing strong opposition. Because of his zeal and passionate style, he gained widespread fame as an "arrant methodist."

Although Scott orbited more of the Calvinist arm of Methodism (linked to George Whitefield and the Countess of Huntingdon), he maintained a relationship of deep cooperation with John Wesley. Historical letters record Scott requesting Wesley to send itinerant preachers to support the evangelism work he was doing in cities like Northampton.[12] 

 

The captain who was a preacher, fought against slavery and helped establish Methodist societies 

 

In addition to serving as a local preacher in Cornwall, he assisted in the logistics of regional Methodist circuits. He was a man of faith who helped establish Methodist societies. 

Captain Williams had a strong stance against slavery. 

On November 9, 1783, Wesley wrote to him: "I think the speeches about Slavery will do well! They are at once sensible and poetic." [13] 

 

Who was Captain Richard Williams

 

 Captain Richard Williams (of Poldice, Cornwall) was a naval officer and an early dedicated supporter of the Methodist movement in England.

"The relationship with Wesley: He maintained an active correspondence with John Wesley for decades. In Wesley's surviving letters sent to him (written between the decades 1756 and 1785), Wesley refers to him affectionately as "My dear brother" and praises his zeal in preaching and expanding God's work in regions such as Plymouth Dock and Cornwall. He was a man of faith who helped establish the local Methodist societies."

 

Abolitionist Struggle: Captain Williams had a strong stand against slavery. In one of his historical iterations, he sent poems and lines of reflection on the horrors of slavery to John Wesley, who praised them as "sensible and poetic" and helped forward them for publication in a Bristol newspaper. This aligned perfectly with Wesley's own fervent abolitionist engagement." [14] 

To Captain Richard Williams, on November 9, 1783, Wesley said: "I think the lines about Slavery will do well! They are at once sensible and poetic." [15]

Support for the Methodist Itinerater: In addition to acting as a local preacher in the Truro (Cornwall) area, he assisted in the logistics of regional Methodist circuits. Historical documents from Wesley's letters show the leader directing local preachers to align their routes and travel plans with Captain William." [16]  

 

Captain Foy's suggestion

 

I was conversing with several members of the Society at Bristol about the means of paying the debts there, when one [Captain Foy, on 15 February, 1742. See Diary, ii. 528; W.H.S. III. 64-5.] stood up and said, 'Let each member of the Society give a penny a week until all are paid.'

 

"Ten years after having had the experience of the warmed heart, Wesley wrote on December 25, 1748 to the vicar Vincent Perronet to explain about the emergence of the Methodist organization."

When the necessities arose due to the growth of Methodism, Wesley found a solution: "3. At length, while we were thinking of something else, we found a method by which we have had reason to bless God ever since. I was conversing with several members of the Society at Bristol about the means of paying the debts there, when one [Captain Foy, on 15 February, 1742. See Diary, ii. 528; W.H.S. III. 64-5.] stood up and said, 'Let each member of the Society give a penny a week until all are paid.'[17]

Note: "Wesley immediately realized that Captain Foy's practical idea solved his biggest structural problem: the pastoral care and mutual accountability of a movement that was growing too fast. From then on, weekly class meetings became a mandatory rule for every Methodist."[18]

 

Why we should trust the Captain of our salvation

 

While preaching, "Trust ye in the Lord forever, for the Lord God is an everlasting rock," and showing the reason why we should trust in the Captain of our salvation, one among the hearers cried out, "Who was your captain the other day, when you depended on yourself?

 

12/7/1741 – Monday. While preaching, "Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord God is an everlasting rock," and showing the reason why we should trust in the Captain of our salvation, someone among the hearers cried out, "Who was your captain the other day, when you depended on yourself? I know the man who saw you when you were sick." This wise story, it seems, has been diligently spread and cordially believed by many in Bristol. I asked them to make room for the man to approach. But the moment he saw the door open, he ran out at full speed, not to look back. [19]

 

He is a man of fire, and the power of God constantly accompanies his word

 

 

I would have been glad if you had persuaded Captain Webb to visit me in Limerick: he is a man of fire, and the power of God constantly accompanies his word

 

For Ms. Bennis

 

COLCHESTER, November 3, 1772.

DEAR SISTER,-- Your time has been well spent at Waterford. Many, I doubt not, remember this with gratitude. But why this lack of discipline in Limerick? Whenever this is abandoned, everything turns into confusion: see that it is restored at once.

I should have been glad if you had persuaded Captain Webb to visit me in Limerick: he is a man of fire, and the power of God constantly accompanies his word.

Poor Sister Harrison! I did not expect her to die in triumph. But we must leave her to her own Master. It seems to me that Mrs. Dawson gains ground. And I love her two lovely children. At every opportunity, it would be well to talk a little with all three.

Talk a little to as many people as possible; go among them, to their homes; talk with love, and discord will disappear. It is hardly possible to comfort or strengthen others without some comfort returning to your own breast.

It is highly probable that I shall visit Ireland in the spring, though I am almost being an incapacitated soldier. I am forbidden to walk, and am obliged to travel chiefly by carriage. [See the August 31 letter to her.]

Whom do you think fit to succeed the present preachers at Limerick and Waterford [Wrigley was at Waterford; John 2 Edward Slater was at Limerick. Jonathan Hern, of Cork, succeeded him. James Glassbrook, Francis Murray, and Michael M'Donald followed.]

You need to awaken the gift of God that is in you. The light will arise. Why not now? The Lord is not around—I am, my dear sister,

Your affectionate brother. [20]

 

Remember the Captain of your salvation

 

Begin, soldier of Christ, son of God! Walk worthy of the vocation by which you are called! Remember faith! Remember the Captain of your salvation! Fight! Conquer! Die,--and live forever

 

For Ms. Ryan

DUBLIN, April 4, 1758.

MY DEAR SISTER,-- Oh, if I could be of use to you! I long to help you move forward. I want you to understand a mere lamp of light, always shining with light from above! I want you to be filled with divine knowledge and wisdom, like Jordan at harvest time. I want your words to be full of grace, poured out like precious ointment. I want your every work to bear the seal of God, to be a sacrifice of a sweet savor; without any weak part, earthly or human; All holy, all divine. The great God, your Father and His Love, bring you into this very thing! Begin, soldier of Christ, son of God! Walk worthy of the calling by which you are called! Remember faith! Remember the Captain of your salvation! Fight! Conquer! Die,--and live forever--I am His, etc. [21]

 

You honor me too much

 

You honor me too much. But I don't think you praise; for you speak with sincerity of heart. But love tends to make us a little blind, so that we cannot see clearly

 

To Captain Richard Williams

LONDON, November 16. 1756.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- You honor me too much. But I do not think you commend; for you speak with sincerity of heart. But love tends to make us a little blind, so that we cannot see clearly. Yet I am grateful to you for your good intention. I wish you to be more and more zealous for God; and I am, dear Richard.

Your affectionate brother.

To Captain R. Williams, [See letter of November 9, 1783.] [22]

 

I believe it will be published in one of the following magazines

 

And whatever they agree is correct, I publish as soon as possible.

It seems to me that the 'Address to the Watchman' may be of general utility. I believe it will be published in one of the following magazines.

 

To Captain Richard Williams

LONDON, December 30, 1778.

MY DEAR BROTHER, - The January Magazine was full before yours arrived. As I do not mind depending only on myself, I generally submit all the verses that are sent to me to the judgment of my brother and the other preachers who are with me. And whatever they agree to be correct, I publish as soon as possible.

It seems to me that the 'Address to the Watchman' may be of general utility. I believe it will be published in one of the following magazines. [The letter on Duels was published in March. See Arminian Mag., 1779, pp. 146-8; and letters of September 13, 1774 (to him) and February 25, 1783 (to Joseph Taylor).] I am

Your affectionate brother.

To Capthin R. Williams, Crarick, near Redruth. [23]

 

I think the lines about Slavery will do well

 

I think the lines about Slavery will do well! [See the February 25 letters to Taylor and December 10.] They are both sensible and poetic.

To Captain Richard Williams

LONDON, November 9, 1783.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- I know the talents which God has lent me, and I dare not bury any of them in the earth. I am indebted to the learned as well as to the unlearned. And in the magazine I apply myself to both; especially, indeed, to the ignorant, because these are the far greater number. And yet I keep my original points in mind, -- He died for all to save them from all sin.

I think the lines about Slavery will do well! [See the February 25 letters to Taylor and December 10.] They are both sensible and poetic. -- I am, dear Richard,

Your affectionate brother.

To Captain Richa. Williams, in Poldice, [24]

Near Truro, Cornwall. [25]

 

I believe we can count on Captain over America

 

I believe we can count on Captain [Webb. See letter of November.] about America. He has stayed long enough with you: send him to us

To your brother Charles

SHOREHAM, December 15, 1772.

DEAR BROTHER,--I have scarcely had a day in London, except Sundays and visiting hours for classes. Dr. Ford has never come near me, nor very near Billy Ley. I am afraid to evade, erupit [In Cicero's Catilinam, ii. II: 'He has disappeared, he has escaped' (Cicero on Catiline)]. I have written to Mr. Fletcher to-day. When Mr. Hill is going to fall upon me next, Mr. Fletcher will have a little time to breathe, and probably a little longer while Mr. Hill digests my answer; for whom I think together we shall find work for some time.

Why, you will not stand shoulder to shoulder, or you can say something about the Church; But two are better than m. If we live till August, stay by my side, and we will close the matter [See letter of May 30, 1773].

I believe we can count on Captain [Webb. See letter of November.] about America. He has stayed long enough with you: send him to us.

I often cry out, Vitae me redde priori! [Epistles of Horace, I. vii. 95: 'Give me back my former life.'] Let me be again an Oxford Methodist! I am often in doubt whether it would not be better for me to take up all my Oxford rules, great and small. So I walked closely with God and redeemed time. But what have I done these thirty years

My love to all. Goodbye! [26]

 

It's time to embark for America

 

The time has come to embark for America. You must descend to Bristol, where you will meet Thomas Rankin, Captain Webb, and his wife.

Let you choose, George, on the great American continent

 

To George Shadford

[End of March] 1773.

DEAR GEORGE,-- The time has come to embark for America. You must descend to Bristol, where you will meet Thomas Rankin, Captain Webb, and his wife.

I have let you choose, George, on the great American continent. Publish your message under the open sun and do all the good you can. "I am, dear George,

With affection. [27]

 

Peace and victory over sin are essential to faith in the Captain of our salvation

 

I was then taught that peace and victory over sin are essential to faith in the Captain of our salvation; but that as to the raptures of joy which generally accompany their beginning, especially in those who have deeply mourned, God sometimes bestows and sometimes withholds, according to the purposes of His own will

 

Wesley's warming heart experience according to John Whitehead:

"In the evening I was very reluctant to a meeting in Aldersgate Street, where someone was reading Luther's preface to the Epistle to the Romans. About eight-forty-five, as he described the change which God works in the heart through faith in Christ, I felt my heart strangely warmed. I felt that I trusted in Christ—in Christ alone—for salvation; and I received the assurance that He had taken away my sins, even mine, and delivered me from the law of sin and death.

"I began to pray with all my earnestness for those who had especially treated me with contempt and persecuted me. Then I openly testified to all present what I felt for the first time in my heart. But it was not long before the enemy suggested, 'This cannot be faith, for where is thy joy?'" "I was then taught that peace and victory over sin are essential to faith in the Captain of our salvation; but that as to the raptures of joy which usually accompany their beginning—especially in those who have deeply mourned—God sometimes bestows and sometimes withholds them, according to the purposes of His own will." [28]

 

Captain Webb was not sent to you as to the unawakened world

 

Captain Webb was not sent to you as to the unawakened world. And perhaps he can do Rowland Hill good by being much more popular than he is

 

To Mary Bishop

LONDON, January 12, 1773.

DEAR MISS BISHOP — I agree with you in your judgment of poor Nancy Dodd. But I would give her (as we say) a chance at life. Captain Webb was not sent to you as to the unawakened world. And perhaps he can do Rowland Hill good by being much more popular than he is.

The Fourth Control did a great deal of good. It confirmed many in fact. It calmed many who were undecided and convinced not a few who simply fell into this strong delusion. But you must not think that anything will convince a warm Calvinist—no, not an angel descending from heaven.

In two or three hours I could teach you so much grammar that you could advance without difficulty. 'True simplicity,' says Fenelon, 'is that grace by which the soul is freed from all useless reflections upon itself.' I add, 'and upon all other persons and things.' This is an indescribable blessing; and it is the mere gift of God, not naturally attached either to greatness or to little understanding. A single eye helps much in this. Look for one thing, and you will be much less concerned with useless reasonings.--My dear Miss Bishop. Bishop, your affectionate brother. [29]

 

Captain James Whitefield, master of a ship

 

Captain James Whitefield, master of a ship, brother of George Whitefield, died suddenly in February 1766 at the Countess of Huntingdon's house in Bath

 

To Ebenezer Blackwell

BRISTOL, August 23, 1739.

DEAR SIR, -- I have not had half an hour of free time to write since I received yours of the 14th of the present day, in which the note of 15 11s was attached.

The Captain's [Captain James Whitefield, master of a ship, brother of George Whitefield, died suddenly in February, 1766 at the house of the Countess of Huntingdon at Bath.] to London, as he possesses, was the happiest, so I believe it was the most useful he ever had. His resolution has been somewhat shaken here; but now he seems more stable than before. Satan has indeed desired to have us, that he may sift us like wheat. But our Lord prayed for us; so that the faith of a few has failed. By far the greater part of those who have been tempted have come out like gold out of the fire.

It seems to me a clear proof that the power of God is much with these people, for they are tempted in a manner seldom common to men. No sooner does any of them begin to taste true liberty, they are shaken both within and without. Satan's messengers surround them on every side. Many are already driven from their homes by their parents or employers; many expect it every day. But they count all these things as dung and rubbish, that they may win Christ. Oh, that if His name be called upon us, let us have us so--I am, dear sir,

Your affectionate friend and servant in Christ.

To Mr. Blackwell, at Mr. Martin's house,

Banker, in Lombard Street, London. [30]

 

We have captains of our warships who don't swear at all

 

Everyone knows (captains and ordinary people alike) that swearing is not necessary; and even now we have captains of our warships who swear nothing. The captain of the ship ['The Samuel, Captain Percy' (Diary, i. 413).] of which I came from America swore nothing; and never was the man better obeyed

 

To your niece Sarah Wesley

NEAR COWBRIDGE, AUGUST 18, 1790.

MY DEAR SALLY,-- I always lightly rebuke the profane person or (worse still) the profane gentlemen; and many of them will receive it in a civilized manner, if not with gratitude. Everyone knows (both captains and common people) that swearing is not necessary; and even now we have captains of our warships who swear nothing. The captain of the ship ['The Samuel, Captain Percy' (Diary, i. 413).] of which I came from America swore nothing; and never was the man better obeyed.

You certainly need gratitude and patience, and you must make sure that you get as much exercise as you can handle each day. I would like you to wish that George Whitfield would send the chamber horse [For indoor exercise. See letters of July 17, 1785, and March 13, 1788.] outside my dining-room, which you should use at least half an hour a day.

If I live to see London, I think I should take him to Twicken-ham. Surely Mr. Galloway owes the world a true account of the American revolution. The whole question is whether it should be published during his lifetime.

What my brother says -

When the loss of friends was commanded to know,

Next, pain and guilt are the worst diseases below. [S. Wesley, J., on Dr. Gastrell.]

But that you didn't lead to the question. Not even that--

Let each one his friendly helper provide,

And feel the care of his brother.

Perpetual joy is the temper of a Christian, which is far enough from Stoicism. True Christians know that it is their duty to maintain this, which in a sense is, in a certain sense, to rejoice forever.

I think Sammy and you should talk often and freely. He can help you, and you can help him. I think he has a mind capable of friendship, and I hope that if I live, I will get to know him more with him.

The gentleman you mentioned just visited me, but he didn't stay, because I was with me. Tomorrow I hope to be in Bristol. -- I am, my dear Sally,

With all your affection. [31]

 

I am glad to hear about the present prosperity of God's work among you

 

I am glad to hear of the present prosperity of God's work among you. Now let each of you stir before the Lord! And press your neighbor (friend or stranger) to run and grab the prize!

 

To Captain Richard Williams

BRISTOL, September 13, 1774.

MY DEAR BROTHER,-- I am glad to hear of the present prosperity of God's work among you. Now let each of you stir before the Lord! And press your neighbor (friend or stranger) to run and grab the prize!

Fifty square yards (allowing five per yard, which is the smallest calculation) will contain twelve thousand five hundred persons. But here they lay far beyond the edge of the well on all sides.

Things to come belong to the Lord. I know He will do all right; and then I rest. As for the things I don't understand, I let it be. Time will show.--I am

Your affectionate brother. [32]

 

Captain Webb's Plan to Help Her Majesty

 

I cannot help but strongly approve of Captain Webb's plan to assist Her Majesty in the event of a royal invasion. The details he will explain to you himself. This may be of more importance than it still seems

 

To the Methodist Societies

TO ALL OUR BROTHERS WHO MAY BE RELEVANT

CITY ROAD, LONDON, 24 October 1779.

I cannot but strongly approve of Captain Webb's plan to assist His Majesty in the event of an actual invasion. The details he will explain to you himself. This may be of more importance than it still appears. I commend the design and everything that promotes it to the blessing of God; and I am, my dear brethren, [See Methodist Recorder, October 31, 1884, for details of the design, signed 'L. Webb'; and letter of May 25, 1782 to Captain Webb.]

Your affectionate brother. [33]

 

You did right by Captain Colmer

 

You have done right in regard to Captain Colmer [Wrigley was at Bradford (Wilts]. 'Brother Colmet' is mentioned on 28 July 1783 (Journal, vi. 437d).]; But you must also apply, if possible, to all his employers

 

To Francis Wrigley

SCARBOROUGH, June 20, 1784.

DEAR FRANCIS, - You have done right in regard to Captain Colmer [Wrigley was at Bradford (Wilts). 'Brother Colmet' is mentioned on July 28, 1783 (Diary, vi. 437d).]; But you should also apply, if possible, to all his employers. I think he will soon realize that he has missed the mark.

I advise you to write to Mr. Shipman and ask if he gave or offered [money] for Risgwy. I hope it is a slander.

Please inform the minister of St. ..... I have already tried this point at Westminster; and if he demands it from me, I will try again.

If the preaching places can be [provided] during his absence, James Thom [Thom was in Cornwall East, where Wrigley was appointed at the next Conference. Probably he had already gone there, and they both wished to attend the Conference in July at Leeds.] can go with you to the Conference.

I am afraid that this kind of rupture under which Mary Hooker works admits of no natural remedy. "I am, dear Francis,

Your affectionate friend and brother.

To Mr. Francis Wrigley. [34]

 

You send me a pleasant account of God's work in Cornwall

 

You send me a pleasant account of God's work in Cornwall, and in some places I do not know. I know nothing of Wheal Rose, nor of the Copper House at Hayle: I hope Mr. Edwards will continue in the same state he is in now

 

To Captain Richard Williams

LONDON, December 10, 1783.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- I directed your words to the editor of the General Post. But both he and Mr. Pine put in their papers only what they believe will promote the sale of the papers.

You send me a pleasant account of the work of God in Cornwall, and in some places I do not know. I know nothing of Wheal Rose, nor of the Copper House at Hayle: I hope Mr. Edwards will continue in the same state he is now. I thought the Calvinists were determined to flee with the Society in Kirly. But the Universal Lover of Souls is stronger than they! He said, 'Hitherto shalt thou come, and no farther!' The work of God (Brother Asbury sends me a word) goes on both steadily and rapidly in America. -- I am

Your affectionate brother.

To Captain Riehl. Williams, in Poldice,

Near Truro, Cornwall. [35]

 

Tell Captain Rd. Williams

 

Please tell Captain Rd. Williams [See letters of December 30, 1778 to him.] that I have his letter and will consider it.

 

To Joseph Taylor

LONDON, February 25, 1783.

DEAR JOSEPH,-- I have no doubt that you can gather enough in the circuit to enlarge the house in St. Ives. [See letters of January 16, December 24, and November 9, 1783.] And the sooner you begin, the better. Just see that you have good workmen and a good plan! Remember, take enough and air enough; and don't do a messy, but a clean job.

When I have corrected my plan, I will send you a copy. I left for Bristol on Sunday evening. -- I am, dear Joseph,

Your affectionate friend and brother.

P.S.--Please tell Captain Rd. Williams [See the letters of December 30, 1778 to him.] that I have his letter, and I will consider it. [36]

 

The captain did not think it advisable to set sail

 

SO FAR God has helped us. As the weather the night before had been extremely agitated, the captain did not think it advisable to set sail; for which I regretted no regret

 

For Ms. Ferguson

HARWICH, June 12, 1783.

MY DEAR SISTER,—SO FAR GOD HAS HELPED US. As the weather the night before was exceedingly agitated, the captain did not think it advisable to set sail; for which I regretted not. We hope to set sail this morning, for it seems that the storm is over; and we shall probably see Helvoetsluys to-morrow. Sally and my other companions are in perfect health, and all in good spirits; knowing that they are under His protection, whom the winds and seas obey. -- I am, my dear sister,

Your affectionate brother. [37]

 

Supporting multiple accusations against John Wesley

 

But you have cited common fame to support several charges against John Wesley, a clerk: such as the fact that he had seduced the common people settled there into idleness; that he was too familiar with Miss Hopkey. Hopkey, and continued so until she married Mr. William Williamson, of Savannah

 

To Captain Robert Williams

LONDON, August 3, 1742.

LORD, -- To prove that Robert Williams traded a lot during the time he was in Savannah, that he built several considerable buildings both in Savannah and in other parts of the colony, that he improved very large tracts of land there, and was esteemed to have one of the principal settlements in the colony, you did not even mention 'common fame.' So whoever believes, let him believe.

But you have cited common fame to support several charges against John Wesley, a clerk: such as the fact that he had seduced the common people settled there into idleness; that he had too much acquaintance with Miss Hopkey. Hopkey, and continued so until she married Mr. William Williamson, of Savannah, a gentleman of considerable prominence there (it is as remarkable a gentleman as Mr. William Williamson would marry her!); that he sent her several letters and messages after the wedding, asking her to meet him at unseasonable times and places, many of which (times or places) were in his closet, of the said Wesley. One report was, you say, that these things were so. Would anyone want better proof

I am not at all surprised that, in the face of such evidence, you should advance such assertions. But I am really in what you afterwards assert as being of your personal knowledge—namely, that two Prosecution Proceedings were filed against John Wesley and sent to the Savannah Grand Jury (Indictment Papers sent to a Grand Jury! What kind of proceeding is this?), this deponent and the rest of the Grand Jury have UNANIMOUSLY agreed to the said bills. How dare you, sir, assert so gross a falsehood Care neither for your reputation nor for your soul You think there is no God to judge the earth You know, you must know how much part of that Grand Jury absolutely disagreed with every bill of the two presentations; and gave these reasons of their disagreement to the Trustees, which neither you nor any man have yet chosen to answer.

You affirm, further, that I have been released on bail by two Savannah proprietors for my appearance at the next Sessions. Here I accuse you of a second gross and deliberate lie. You know that I have never been released on bail. If I were, name the men (Henry Lloyd is ready to confront you) or produce a certified copy of the Court Record.

You assert, thirdly, that just before the sessions began (i.e., in the following sessions, after the bills had been found) I relinquished my bail. Here is yet another gross, willful, palpable lie. For (1) no bail was ever granted; (2) I attended seven sessions successively after these bills were found—that is, on Thursday, September 1, or Friday, September 2; at three other sessions held in September and October; on Thursday, November 22 [3]; and, lastly, on Thursday, November 22 [24]. Your little falsehoods—like that I left the colony in the middle of the night, that from Purrysburg to Charlestown is about two hundred miles (you should have said about ninety), that I walked from there to Charlestown—I pass for not being relevant.

Finally, it asserts that the judges threatened to prosecute and imprison my bail for such desertion, and were in utter confusion on the matter; but, by the interposition of this deposed and several others in the name of said bail, and to prevent the destruction of their several families, the judges suspended their acknowledgments during pleasure.

This is altogether fitted to crown the whole. Now, sir, as you know in your own soul that every word of it is pure invention, without a grain of truth from beginning to end, what reparations can you make, either to God, to me, or to the world? In what a terrible dilemma have you brought yourself here! You must openly retract an open calumny, or you must traverse good and bad to sustain it; until that God, to whom I appeal, sustains His own cause, and drags you down from the earth. -- I am, sir,

Your friend. [38]

N.B. -- This was written on July 16, but I did not have time to transcribe it before August 3, 1742. [Wesley left Bristol on July 18, and found, on reaching London, that his mother was dying. The letter was transcribed two days after her funeral. It was published in the Weekly History of August 14, 1742.]

 

Only a few could think that silence is proof of guilt

 

I would not tread on a worm; therefore let it pass. My concern, sir, is for you. Not that I should pay attention to such a composition; Only a few could think that silence is proof of guilt

 

To Captain Robert Williams

BRISTOL, October 17, 1742

LORD, -- I have done you wrong indeed. I believed that the letter which claimed to come from your humble servant had been your own until I had read it half-over. But, on a narrower observation, I soon acquired a knowledge both of the peculiar style and mode of thought of Mr. Thomas Christie, who was once Savannah Recorder, but now dread (as before) to go about in search of a piece of bread. I would not tread on a worm; therefore let it pass. My concern, sir, is for you. Not that I should pay attention to such a composition; only a few could think that silence is a proof of guilt.

That Mr. Wesley's answer is so indirect and full of evasion as to justify, and does not refute his charge; that to leave any doubt about his great and well-known improvements clearly demonstrates his wickedness and insincerity; and that Mr. Christie has yet more recollections to convince the world of how low and Jesuitical he is,—these, being mere rhetorical flowers worthy of embellishing speech, need no particular answer.

But the fact (says his friend) in regard to the charges is in a different light from what he tells, and, as to his relation to persons who disagreed with the Grand Jury, it must be a story which he himself created. That is easily known. The original document is kept in the Office of the Trustees at Palace Yard. And Mr. Fallowfield, one of these dissenters, you know, succeeded Mr. Causton when Mr. Christie and he were removed from their posts.

It is a great pity that your friend did not also make an affidavit on the following extraordinary details: that Mr. Wesley continued to disturb public order; that he attempted to cause an insurrection in the public Court while in session; that the Magistrates received several petitions, making new charges against their protégé, and stating their plan to leave the colony privately (an extremely private plan, of which five days before I had warned by means of an advertisement set up in the market-place!); that several persons took advantage of it to go with him with various sums of money; that they manifested that they would violently oppose any person who should attempt to capture them; and that, immediately afterwards, a large reward was publicly awarded for the capture of Mr. Wesley. You cannot but admit that these are a great improvement on their design, and would sound as good as your own affidavit.

But it would not be necessary first for Mr. Christie and you to meet and agree on his story, or else he might make more mistakes than you would like, and refute you instead of me. This is undeniable that he has now done, and that in the most relevant parts of his testimony. For, first, you assert that Mr. Wesley, having been released on bail for the hearing at the next session, just before the entrance of the sessions, adjourned bail, and went away. No, says Mr. Christie, Mr. Wesley, after being released on bail, appeared in the next Court. I wished that his trial should be commenced, or that his honour should be set aside. Again, Mr. Christie states categorically that Mr. John Coats, who was one of his bail bonds, went away with Mr. Wesley, and never returned; while you state under oath that the judges threatened to prosecute and imprison his bail, that they were in utter confusion. But by the interposition of this deposed and several others, in the name of the said bail, and to prevent the destruction of their respective families, the judges suspended their acknowledgments during the pleasure.

Now, sir, feeling that these accounts are utterly inconsistent, finding it impossible ever to reconcile them, let me ask you a simple question, which I ask you to consider seriously. Is Thomas Christie, Esq., a gross and notorious liar, one who neither fears God nor regards man? Or Robert Williams, a merchant, is a vain and weak man, who, having resigned without cause and deliberately, knows not how to retreat or advance, how to retract his false testimony or how to defend it—I am, sir, [39]

 

How many soldiers can reasonably expect to recruit from among the Methodists

 

Talk to Colonel Barr and make the proposal as much as you can. Then you can better judge how many soldiers you can reasonably expect to recruit from among the Methodists

 

For Captain Webb

SUNDERLAND, May 25, 1782.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- Explain to our brethren, wherever you go, your conversation with Colonel Barr, and make the proposal as much as you can. Thus you will be able to judge better how many soldiers you can reasonably expect to recruit from among the Methodists.

I would like you to tell Mr. Moore [The preachers in Bristol in 1781 were John Pawson, John Murlin, and William Moore. Alexander M'Nab had been Pawson's predecessor in 1779, and caused much trouble in Bath. See letter of 18 January 1780.] I wish he would not talk to the separatists in Bath. If he does, I shall see it as an open statement that he does not respect me.

If twenty people will commit themselves to Mr. Walker, [John Walker was now in Gloucester, and the next Conference 'give up traveling.'] they can. But I have nothing more to do with him. I'm going to give one more guinea, and that's it. -- I am

Your affectionate brother. [40]

 



[1] Diary of John Wesley – "John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791", São Paulo, SP, Angular Editora, 2017

[2] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[3] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1742/

[4] Diary of John Wesley – "John Wesley, the father of Methodism – 1735 -1791", São Paulo, SP, Angular Editora, 2017

[5] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[6] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1748/

[7] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1773/

[8] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1772/

[9] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1779/

[10] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1788/

[11] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1739/

[12] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[13] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1783/

[14] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[15] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1783/

[16] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[17] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1748u/

[18] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[19] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1783/

[20] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1772/

[21] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1758/

[22] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-17546/

[23] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1778/

[24] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1783/

[25] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1783/

[26] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1772/

[27] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1773/

[28] The life of the Rev. John Wesley, M.A. by John Whitehead, 1793. 

[29] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1773/

[30] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1739/

[31] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/

[32] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1774/

[33] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1779/

[34] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1784/

[35] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1783/

[36] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1783/

[37] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1783/

[38] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1742/

[39] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1742/

[40] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1782/

Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas deste blog