Resilient Women Discipled by Wesley

 

Odilon Massolar Chaves

 

 


Copyright © 2026, Odilon Massolar Chaves

All rights reserved to the author.

It is allowed to read, copy and share for free.

Article 184 of the Penal Code and Law 96710 of February 19, 1998.

Books published in the Wesleyan Digital Library: 882

Books published by the author: 922

Cover: https://cultoinfantil.com/susanna-wesley-e-john-wesley/?srsltid=AfmBOorQMLFgqpy5zZRrZO38cJ5Mo0T4Y_AXO_c9JZRruab1z2lrrRsi

Odilon Massolar Chaves is a retired Methodist pastor, with a doctorate in Theology and History from the Methodist University of São Paulo.

Son of Rev. Adherico Ribeiro Chaves and Roza Massolar Chaves.

He is married to RoseMary.

He has two daughters: Liliana and Luciana.

His thesis dealt with the Methodist revival in England in the eighteenth century and its contribution as a paradigm for our days.

 

============================

 

Table of Contents

 

·       Introduction

·       Resilient Women  

·       But it's over, and now you're awake

·       It wouldn't be easy for me to refuse anything you desire

·       I'm glad to see you still craving and seeking the best portion

·       Be a standard for everyone around you

·       May you and yours be a standard for everyone

·       I'm glad to find that your love doesn't grow cold

·       Rutledge and you unite hand in hand to put out every spark of contention

·       I'm grateful to you for taking the time to write

·       They advance toward the prize of your high calling in Christ Jesus

·       It has pleased God to try you for many years in the furnace of affliction

·       Fighting for the good fight of faith and clinging to eternal life

·       It gives me pleasure, my dear Fanny, to know that you're still the good way

·       I want you to be all light, all fire, all love

·       What a blessing, my dear Harriet, that you have been saved from this poisonous doctrine

·       Jenny, the good you can do now and when you speak a word for God

·       Then I learned that you were with Jesus and drank in His spirit

·       I am glad to find that God's power is manifest in your weakness

·       The Lord delivered you from all and honored you

·       The good news that your spirit is still rejoicing in God, your Savior

·       There is something about God's actions with his soul that is out of the ordinary

·       I can still write almost as easily as ever, and I can read in a clear struggle

·       You do well caring for the lambs in the flock

·       It gives me pleasure to find that your heart is still watching over your center

·       Use the faith and talents God has given you

·       I rejoice to know that your health is better

·       I have your happiness very much in my heart

·       You Have Many Reasons to Praise God

·       Meeting you and your loved ones in physical and mental health will be a great pleasure

 

Introduction

 

"Resilient Women Discipled by Wesley" is a 43-page book based on Wesley's letters from 1789 to 1791.

Story of 18 women in the Methodist Movement with whom Wesley corresponded and who, at the end of his life, showed satisfaction with each one's progress. Wesley even gave her profound advice.

A good part of these women were discipled by Wesley. Others used to ask for advice. Some stood out for their great leadership. One of them, Wesley treated as a daughter. Another, married to an Anglican pastor, Wesley shows gratitude for the welcome.

Some women were preachers, others Band leaders, and still another was famous for her extraordinary prayer life (often praying loudly and early in the morning) and for the power of her public outcry. Wesley said to Anne Cutler on April 15, 1790, "There is something in God's dealings with your soul that is out of the ordinary." [1] 

For others, Wesley is happy to see his disciples victorious:  

·       The Lord delivered you from all and honored you

·       The good news that your spirit is still rejoicing in God, your Savior

·       I'm glad to see you still craving and seeking the best portion

·       I'm glad to find that your love doesn't grow cold

·       It gives me pleasure, my dear Fanny, to know that you're still the good way

·       I am glad to find that God's power is manifest in your weakness.

·    I have learned that you have been with Jesus and have drunk in His spirit. 

They were warrior women, resilient, who persevered through struggles and difficulties. They were from England, Ireland, Wales and Jersey.[2]

Aided by Google's AI, in one chapter there is a brief description of each of these 18 women.

Other women not addressed here were also resilient, such as Mary Bosanquet, Sarah Crosby, and Sarah Ryan.

Uplifting letters and stories that reveal a mark of Methodist women.

The Author

 

Resilient Women  

 

Ms. Whereat

 

He used to travel occasionally with Wesley to assist him in visiting small Methodist societies around Bristol

 

Mrs. Whereat from a family connected to Bristol, England.

Mrs. Whereat was also affectionately called by Wesley Patty Whereat. She was John Wesley's great-niece and collaborator.

She was the daughter of a brother of Patience Ellison and belonged to the extended family linked to Bristol.

Acting: Historical traditions point out that she used to travel occasionally with Wesley to assist him in visiting small Methodist societies around Bristol."[3]

 

Ms. Tighe

 

She was a great admirer, hostess and correspondent of Wesley


 Mrs. Tighe (Sarah Tighe) resided in Rosanna, Ireland.

"She was a great admirer, hostess, and correspondent of John Wesley, the founder of Methodism.

John Wesley frequently visited Mrs. Tighe's estate in Rosanna during his evangelistic tours of Ireland. He considered her a dear friend and a devoted follower.

Wesley wrote several letters to her in the 1780s (as in 1787 and 1789) dealing with spiritual counsels, congregational affairs, and intercessions for local preachers." [4]

 

Susanna Knapp

 

A faithful and important member of the Methodist Society

 

Susanna Knapp was a member of the Methodist Society of Worcester, England.

"Susanna Knapp was a faithful and important member of the Methodist community in the city of Worcester, England.

Health Concerns: He details his health condition and shares his hope and determination to gain strength to be able to travel and preach again." [5] 

 

Rachel Jones

 

He had "great reason to praise God, both for the mercies he received individually and for the fact that God heard his prayers for the people in his household 

 

RachelJones was from Barton-le-Willows, England.

"The best-known letter addressed to her was written in Bristol, on March 2, 1789. In it, Wesley responds to a request from Rachel herself and offers practical and devotional advice:

  • Gratitude and Testimony: He begins by expressing that she has 'great reason to praise God, both for the mercies received individually and for God having heard her prayers for the people in her household.
  • Example of Conduct: Wesley exhorts her to be a pattern of conduct for everyone around her, especially emphasizing the virtues of meekness and humility ("Be the least of all, and the servant of all").
  • Choice Fellowship: He counsels you to seek divine companionship and to walk strictly with those who "worship in spirit and truth." [6] 

 

Rebecca Ingram 

 

Encouragement by the search for the doctrine of Christian perfection

 

Rebecca Ingram was from a Methodist family in Limerick, Ireland. 

His mother, Mrs. Ingram, also received letters from Wesley. 

 "Wesley used to advise Rebecca about:

  • The importance of daily devotion and reading the Scriptures.
  • The search for the doctrine of Christian perfection (or full sanctification), encouraging her to keep her heart firm in God in the face of the vanities and trials of the time.
  • Practical advice on how to behave in society while maintaining Methodist principles." [7]

 

 

Ms. Ingram

                                                     

Supporting Wesley with hospitality

 

Mrs Ingram was from Limerick, the mother of Rebecca Ingram.

 

"The Ingram Family: John Wesley stayed in Limerick at the home of Rev. Jacques Ingram — chaplain/curate of the local cathedral and married to Edward Smyth's sister — describing the family with great affection and hospitality in his diary." [8]

 

Mrs. Jane Armstrong

 

Wesley expresses the deep affection he has for her and mentions that he hopes to see people who loved him again 

 

Mrs. Jane Armstrong was from Athlone, Ireland.

His letters dealt with:

Advice on temperament: Wesley praises Jane's natural cheerfulness ("Cheerfulness is a great blessing"), but gently warns her not to turn into levity, reminding her to seek a "deep and constant earnestness" for spiritual growth.

Affection and visits: He expresses the deep affection he has for her and mentions that the hope of seeing people who loved him again — as he was sure "Jenny Armstrong" loved him — was a great incentive for him to cross the sea towards Ireland again, despite his fragile health. [9]

 

Mrs. Eliz. Rose

 

A Woman Who Passed Through the "Furnace of Affliction"

 

Mrs. Eliz. Rose resided in Sheffield, England.

"The Sheffield Connection: John Wesley had a deep connection with the city of Sheffield. He founded the local Methodist Society in 1742, opened historic chapels in the area, and even preached there to memorable crowds.

The Pastoral Content: The letter perfectly exemplifies Wesley's tone in his late correspondence (written just two years before his death in 1791). He uses biblical metaphors common to his style—such as the "furnace of affliction"—to comfort a faithful follower suffering from illness or prolonged hardship, encouraging blind trust in God rather than banal theological questioning." [10] 

 

Sarah Rutter

 

A class leader and "band" leader

 

Sarah Rutter was a class leader and Methodist "band" leader in St. Neots, England.

  • "He converted to Methodism after hearing a sermon by John Wesley in 1778.
  • He received letters of encouragement from Wesley between the late 1780s and 1790s to continue shepherding and discipleship new believers." [11]

 

Frances Godfrey

 

A faithful Methodist, who was still on the right path

 

Frances Godfrey was a resident of Gainsborough, England.

"John Wesley wrote three well-known letters to Frances Godfrey (often called by him "Fanny"), a faithful Methodist living in Gainsborough, England.

In a letter from London on August 5, 1788, Wesley celebrates Frances's recovery from previous tribulations and encourages her to seek "Christian perfection.

In the letter of August 2, 1789, Wesley says: "It gives me pleasure, my dear Fanny, to hear that you are still in the right course. Proceed to the goal, to the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." [12]

 

Mrs. Cock

 

Encouraged to Remain Steadfast in Faith

 

 

Mrs. Cock was originally from Jersey (an island in the English Channel). 

Jane Bisson later became Mrs. Cock. 

"Relationship with Wesley: She received at least 13 registered letters from John Wesley, who acted as her counselor and spiritual guide.

Marriage: Wesley wrote to her commenting on her marriage (which took place about 1788–1789), initially expressing fear that marital affairs might "wound her soul" or diminish her usefulness in the work, but later encouraging her to keep her faith firm. [13]

 

Harriet Lewis 

 

Encouraged to seek "companions on the journey"   

 

Harriet Lewis was a resident of Dudley, England. 

"Context: John Wesley wrote letters of comfort and spiritual guidance to Harriet when she felt discouraged or lonely in faith due to the spiritual weakening of those around her.

In the letters of this period of 1789, he reinforced the importance of seeking "companions on the journey" to the Kingdom of Heaven and, if he did not find them ready, of seeking them in prayer or helping others in the faith. [14]

 

Elizabeth Baker

 

I have learned that you have been with Jesus and have drunk in His spirit

 

Elizabeth Baker was a resident of Monmouth, Wales.

Elizabeth Baker later became Mrs. Jordan. Wesley also called her Betsy.

"Wesley's letters to "Betsy" (as he affectionately called her) were written late in her life, around 1788 and 1789, and address profound themes about the practical Christian life, female leadership, and human emotions. [15]

 

Mary Smity

 

Treated as a daughter by Wesley

 

Mary Smity was from Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England.

Mary Smity was the daughter of Jenny Smith and the granddaughter of Mary Vazeille, Wesley's wife.

"Although Wesley had no biological children with his wife, Mary (Molly) Vazeille, her granddaughter, Jenny Smith—and subsequently his great-granddaughter, Mary Smith—were welcomed with such affection and closeness by the founder of Methodism that he affectionately referred to them in his diaries and letters as his own daughters ("my daughter"). He took on a very strong father and spiritual mentor figure in their lives, traveling and maintaining frequent correspondence." [16]

 

Hannah Ball

 

Pioneer in the creation of the first Sunday School in 1769

 

Hannah Ball was from High Wycombe, England.

"The letters reveal her spiritual friendship, mentoring and recognition of her pioneering spirit in the creation of the first Sunday School in 1769.

Conversion and friendship: After converting to Methodism at High Wycombe, Hannah Ball began a regular correspondence with John Wesley, becoming a confidant and active leader in her community.

Acknowledgment of work: In several of his letters, Wesley eloquently praised and valued Hannah's efforts to instruct children and help those in need.

Spiritual and Personal Advice: The correspondence (some of it printed in Wesley's memoirs and historical collections of letters) shows Wesley guiding Hannah on paths of faith, the daily life of Methodist society, and even personal decisions—such as when he advised her to break off an engagement." [17]

 

Anne Cutler

 

She was famous for her extraordinary prayer life and the power of her public outcry

 

Anne Cutler was born in Thornley, Lancashire, England.

"Anne Cutler (1759–1794) was a deeply dedicated Methodist evangelist and intercessor.

She was famous for her extraordinary prayer life (often praying loudly and in the early hours) and for the power of her public outcry, which often unleashed waves of conversion and revival wherever she went." [18]

 

Ann Bolton

 

Wesley deeply admired her devotion, sought her advice, and often stayed at her home

 

Ann Bolton was born in Oxfordshire, England. 

She became a dedicated leader of the Methodist movement beginning in 1777. 

"Spiritual confidant: Wesley deeply admired his devotion, sought his counsel, and often stayed at his home.

Writer: Part of her thought has been preserved in a spiritual journal and in letters published in the Arminian Magazine." [19]

 

 Alice Cambridge

 

He was active in evangelization and public preaching.

 

Alice Cambridge was born in Bandon, Ireland. 

She joined the Methodists and wished to be active in evangelism and public preaching. 

"The conflict: At the time, there was resistance from some people who considered female preaching contrary to Scripture, generating debates and Alice's desire for a safe direction from a respected leadership." [20]

"Wesley encouraged her to follow her conscience and speak up when she felt God was telling her to preach, treating her with affection and as a friend.

The practical restriction: He advised her not to preach at the exact same place and time that a male preacher was preaching, to avoid dividing or attracting his audience." 

Wesley's letters to these women are as follows:

 

But it's over, and now you're awake

 

It seems that we are now exactly where we were a few years ago. You had a strange dream; but it has passed, and now you are awake. The one who was the main means of lulling you is now also fully awake

 

To Ms. Whereat

LONDON, February 4, 1789.

MY DEAR PATTY, -- It seems that we are now exactly where we were a few years ago. You had a strange dream; but it has passed, and now you are awake. He who was the chief means of lulling you is now also fully awake. Well, let us now redeem time. The night is already spent! The day of eternity is at hand! Now I am preparing to bid farewell to London, perhaps not to see it again. But perhaps my bones will rest here in a vault prepared for me and a few other preachers. -- I am, my dear Patty,

Your very affectionate uncle.

To Mrs. Pat. Where, in the new room,

In Bristol.

Send it to her.

Your affectionate brother. [21]

 

It wouldn't be easy for me to refuse anything you desire

 

It would not be easy for me to refuse anything you desire. So I sat down four times [Journal, vii, 459-64.] for Mr. Romney, and he finished the film. It is believed to be a good likeness, and many of my friends desired an engraving taken from it

 

For Ms. Tighe

LONDON, February 7, 1789.

DEAR MALADY, -- It would not be easy for me to refuse anything you desire. Therefore I sat down four times [Journal, vii, 459-64.] for Mr. Romney, and he finished the film. It is believed to be a good likeness, and many of my friends desired a picture taken from it. But I reply, 'The picture was not mine, but yours. Therefore I cannot do anything without your consent.' But if I have no objection, then I will hire an engraver who I am sure will do justice to it. Wishing every blessing to you and your whole family, I remain, dear lady, Your affectionate servant. [22]

 

I'm glad to see you still craving and seeking the best portion

 

I am glad to see you still craving and seeking the best portion. Tomorrow a fortnight I hope to see you in Worcester. I am glad to hear that Mrs. Knapp's health is in some measure restored

 

To Susanna Knapp

[BATH, March 3, 1789.]

MY DEAR SUKY, -- I am glad to see you still desiring and seeking the best portion. Tomorrow a fortnight I hope to see you in Worcester. I am glad to hear that Mrs. Knapp's health is in some measure restored. We are sure we are healthy if health is the best for us.

With affection.

To Miss Knapp. At Mr. Knapp's house,

In Worcester.

In Gomersal, near Leeds. [23]

 

Be a standard for everyone around you

 

You have a huge reason to praise God, who has treated you with such mercy. You have reason to praise Him equally for hearing your prayer and listening for your family members. Now be a role model for everyone around you

 

To Rachel Jones

BRISTOL, March 4, 1789.

MY DEAR SISTER, -- As you wished, I cannot help sending you a line, though I have not a moment to lose. You have an enormous reason to praise God, who has treated you with such mercy. You have reason to praise Him equally for hearing your prayer and listening for the members of your family. Now be a pattern to all around you. Be a pattern of timidity and humility, in particular. Be the least of all and the servant of all. Be their companion, and theirs alone, who worship in spirit and in truth. Read again and again the thirteenth chapter of St. Paul's First Epistle to the Corinthians. Then your light will shine brighter and brighter until the perfect day. -- I am, dear sister,

Your affectionate brother. [24]

To Miss Rachel Jones, of Barton-le-Willows,

 

May you and yours be a standard for everyone

 

I hope you comfort your sister Rutledge. She is sadly afflicted; and a word spoken in time, how good it is I think you will lose no opportunity to do good to her or to anyone. May you and yours be a standard to all

For Ms. Armstrong

TULLAMORE, April 22, 1789.

MY DEAR SISTER, -- You have said to me 'I have forgotten you once because I have not answered your letter'; but if I have done so, I shall not be in much danger of forgetting you again. I love you too well to forget you, and all the more so because I see you still looking up and trying to secure a better portion of what this short and enduring world can offer. I am glad you are in Athlone this season, because peacemakers are needed there, and I know you love to make amends. I hope you comfort your sister Rutledge. She is sadly afflicted; and a word spoken in time, how good it is I think you will lose no opportunity of doing good to her or to anyone. May you and yours be a standard to all is the earnest wish of, my dear sister,

With affection.

To Mrs. James Armstrong, Athlone. [25]

 

I'm glad to find that your love doesn't grow cold

 

I am happy to discover that your love does not grow cold, nor do your desires after all the mind that was in Christ. Now is the time to reclaim the whole image of God in which you were created

 

To Rebecca Ingram

WATERFORD, April 29, 1789.

To receive a message from you was an unexpected pleasure. You can inform Mr. Brown that, as I intend to leave Kilfinane very early on Tuesday morning, the 12th of May will probably be in Limerick between twelve and one o'clock. I am glad to find that your love does not grow cold, nor do your desires at all the mind that was in Christ. Now is the time to recover the whole image of God, in which you were created. Oh, be content with nothing less, and you will surely receive it by simple faith! May the Lord increase your faith! Then pray.

With affection. [26]

 

Rutledge and you unite hand in hand to put out every spark of contention

 

And as you are well received by all, who knows, if you can be an instrument of good, a means of reconciling them May past things die and be forgotten. Now let my dear Sister Rutledge and you unite hand in hand to put out every spark of dispute

 

For Ms. Armstrong

LIMERICK, May 14, 1789.

MY DEAR SISTER, -- It will be well to write a line so that I may know that you have not forgotten me; I hope you never do so until we reach the point where parting will be no more. I was very pleased when we were in Athlone to find that you had not engaged with any of the parties to the conflict. In fact, they argue over nothing, over straw, over little things that are not worth mentioning. Until I came here, I feared that there would be some grievous misdemeanor on one side or the other. And as you are well received by all, who knows, if you can be an instrument of good, a means of reconciling them May past things die and be forgotten. Now let my dear Sister Rutledge and you unite hand in hand to quench every spark of dispute. [See letter of April 22.] Thus you will be more and more loved by, my dear Jenny,

Your affectionate brother.

To Mrs. James Armstrong, Athlone.

To Mr. Surer, in the preaching house,

At the Plymouth Dock. [27]

 

I'm grateful to you for taking the time to write

 

I am grateful to you for taking the trouble to write. Indeed, when I saw your name, I was afraid to meet with a new accusation; so I was most pleasantly surprised to read what you wrote. I will not easily do anything that can cause you pain; but whatever is pleasing to you will be

 

For Ms. Ingram

DUBLIN, June 28, 1789.

MY DEAR LADY, -- Your letter has given me much satisfaction. I am grateful to you for taking the trouble to write. Indeed, when I saw your name, I was afraid to meet with a new accusation; so I was more pleasantly surprised to read what you wrote. I will not easily do anything that may cause you pain; but whatever is pleasing to you will be, [See next letter.] dear Lady, Your affectionate servant, [28]

 

 They advance toward the prize of your high calling in Christ Jesus

 

I advise my dear Becky and you to tell as little as possible about the past. Then it will pass away like a dream; as you both forget the things behind you and move toward the prize of your high calling in Christ Jesus

 

For Ms. Ingram

DUBLIN, July 5, 1789.

MY DEAR MADAM, -- After the fair and sincere report which Miss Ingram [See the letter of June 28 to her.] and you gave of the transaction, there was no fear that I should be greatly injured by anything that had happened. I advise my dear Becky and you to tell as little as possible about the past. Then it will pass as a dream; while you both forget the things that are behind and press forward toward the prize of your high calling in Christ Jesus. -- I am, dear lady,

With all the affection, [29]

 

It has pleased God to try you for many years in the furnace of affliction

 

It has pleased God to try you for many years in the furnace of affliction. But He has always been with you in the fire so that you can be cleansed, not consumed

 

For Mrs. Rose

LEEDS, July 29, 1789.

MY DEAR SISTER--It has pleased God to try you for many years in the furnace of affliction. But He has always been with you in the fire so that you may be purified, not consumed. Therefore, you have good reason to trust Him. Do not reason, but believe! Hold on to Him like a child, and your eyes will see His complete salvation! -- I am,

Your affectionate brother.

To Mrs. Eliz. Rose, in Sheffield. [30]

 

Fighting for the good fight of faith and clinging to eternal life

 

If I live to the fall, we shall see each other again at St. Neots; when I hope to find you and the whole family striving for the good fight of faith and clinging to eternal life

 

For Sarah Rutter

LEEDS, July 29, 1789.

MY DEAR SISTER, -- I admire our sisters and you for knowing each other in the band. It is an excellent means of building each other up in the love and knowledge of God. Mr. Jenkins is appointed to stay with you for another year, and another preacher who breathes the same spirit. You would have done well to write to me long ago, and it might have saved you a lot of trouble.

If I live to the fall, we shall see each other again at St. Neots; when I hope to find you and the whole family fighting for the good fight of faith and clinging to eternal life. -- I am, dear Sally,

With affection.

To Miss Sally Rutter, St. Neots. [31]

 

It gives me pleasure, my dear Fanny, to know that you're still the good way

 

It gives me pleasure, my dear Fanny, to know that you are still going on in good ways. Still press on the goal, the prize of God's high calling in Christ Jesus. From what you have experienced, you know that there is a happiness on earth below and heaven above

 

To Frances Godfrey

LEEDS, August 2, 1789.

It gives me pleasure, my dear Fanny, to know that you are still going on in good ways. Still press on the goal, to the prize of God's high calling in Christ Jesus. From what you have experienced, you know that there is a happiness on earth below and heaven above. You know that God alone can satisfy your soul, whether on earth or in heaven. Hold fast to Him with full purpose of heart. If you seek happiness in anything but Him, you must be disappointed. I hope you will find satisfaction in some of your fellow Christians. It is a blessing to have fellow travellers to the New Jerusalem. If you find none, you must make them; for no one can walk this way alone. [Compare counsel with Wesley; 'Lord, you must serve God and go to heaven. Remember, you cannot serve Him alone; therefore you must find companions or make them: the Bible knows nothing about solitary religion.' See Wesley of Telford, p. 147.] Then work to help each other to be fully Christlike. Wishing you both physical and mental health, I am, my dear Fanny,

With affection. [32]

 

I want you to be all light, all fire, all love

 I want you to be all light, all fire, all love, and to grow in all things into the One who is our Head

 

For Mrs. Cock

LEEDS, August 3, 1789.

MY DEAR SISTER,-- I am always very glad to hear from you. When I first heard of your marriage, I was afraid of two things [See letter of April 7]: one was that it would hurt your soul; the other, that it would hinder your usefulness—at least, that you would not be useful in so high a degree as you could be. But your last letter gave me much satisfaction. Now I hope that your own soul has suffered no loss; and in the same way, you will find many opportunities to do good, and improve them to the utmost. I want you to do the will of God down there, just as angels do up there. I want you to be all light, all fire, all love, and to grow up in all things into him who is our Head; and yet to love and pray for

With affection. [33]

 

What a blessing, my dear Harriet, that you have been saved from this poisonous doctrine

 

What a blessing, my dear Harriet, that you have been saved from this poisonous doctrine! and that you are enabled to follow that holiness without which we cannot see the Lord! Then run that you may succeed

 

To Harriet Lewis

LEEDS, August 3, 1789.

See, my dear Harriet, the blessed effects of Unconditional Perseverance! It opens the way by easy steps, first to presumption, and then to black despair! There will be no way to recover your poor friend to a Bible faith but by taking this broken reed from her, and convincing her that if she dies in her present state, she will perish eternally. It will indeed be a medicine that will make her suffer: but it will be the only one that will save her living soul. What a blessing, my dear Harriet, that you have been saved from this poisonous doctrine! and that you are enabled to follow that holiness without which we cannot see the Lord! Then run that you may get it. The prize is before you. Never be weary or faint in your mind. In time you will reap if you do not faint. -- I am

With affection. [34]

 

Jenny, the good you can do now and when you speak a word for God

 

You cannot say, my dear Jenny, the good you can do now and when you speak a word for God. Do not be ashamed or afraid to say a word when the occasion is needed. In fact, you are not called to any public work

 

For Ms. Armstrong

BRISTOL, September 15, 1789.

MY DEAR SISTER, -- The account you give of James M'Quigg is very remarkable. [J. M'Quigg was one of the preachers in Limerick. Wesley preached at Moate, near Athlone, on April 2, 1748, and calls it 'the most pleasant town I have ever seen in Ireland.'] To send him to Athlone just at this time was a striking example of Divine Providence; and his going to Moate, where we have labored so long in vain, was at an acceptable time. Many of our friends were afraid to hear him! God honored him. I pray that He will honor him more as long as his eye is one, seeking his happiness in God alone.

You cannot say, my dear Jenny, the good you can do now and when you speak a word for God. Do not be ashamed or afraid to say a word when the occasion is needed. In fact, you are not called to any public work; but even in private conversations a word spoken at the station, how good! You need not be a drone; you will not want opportunities to do good in various ways. Hearing about you or you will always be a pleasure. -- My dear Jenny,

With great affection.

To Mrs. Jane Armstrong, Athlone. [35]

 

Then I learned that you were with Jesus and drank in His spirit

 

I have often thought of you and thought that it had been a long time since I had heard from you. This always pleases me very much, for I have found much unity with you since I saw you. Then I learned that you had been with Jesus and drank in His spirit.

 

To Elizabeth Baker

SARUM, October 5, 1789.

MY DEAR BETSY, -- I have often thought of you, and thought that it had been a long time since I had heard from you. [See letters of September 16, 1788, and October 29, 1789.] This always pleases me very much, for I have found much union with you since I saw you. Then I learned that you had been with Jesus, and had drunk in His spirit.

Never let your faith leave your domain,

Neither hope declines, nor love grows cold, either in the case of Robert Humphrey or in that of the poor woman you have mentioned. You will do well to write down everything of this kind that has come to your warning. The merciful Lord has done His wonderful works in such a way that they should be kept in remembrance. These moments should certainly quicken your enthusiasm and increase your expectation of having good days at Monmouth.

When Dr. [Papar] went to see his friend Dr. Curtis, he found mortification on the instep, where there was a black spot about the size of a crown. The mortification also began under his knee, where there was a circle.... and beside it a circle as [red] as scarlet. He ordered me to rub it with the hot hand... The parts were infused for half an hour with cooked camouflage... After one with a hot hand rub a mixture... This was done twice a day. In two or three days, Dr. Curtis was fine. [Some part of the letter is missing, so the meaning is unclear.]

Please send me your receipt from the Hyaran... Behavior for me coming, my dear Betsy,

With great affection.

I'm going to London. [36]

 

I am glad to find that God's power is manifest in your weakness

 

Your affectionate letter, my dear Molly, has given me much satisfaction. I am glad to find that the power of God is manifest in your weakness and allows you, in the difficult hour, to possess your soul with patience

 

To Mary Smith

NEAR LONDON, NOVEMBER 20, 1789.

Your affectionate letter, my dear Molly, has given me much satisfaction. I am glad to find that the power of God is manifest in your weakness, and enables you, in difficult time, to possess your soul with patience. I have never seen until now that sincere obedience to parents went unrewarded, even in the present world. [See letter of October 16 about John Stamp.] And I accept the remarkable length of my own life, and the unusual health which I have enjoyed as a reward for having saved my father from prison, and comforted my mother in her later years. Go forth, my dear maiden, you and my precious Janey, to be the support and joy of their age; chiefly by your eminent growth in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. He has given you both a little of His loving-kindness, which is better than life itself. And I am convinced that each of you can say,

Wealth, honor, pleasure, and what else

This short and lasting life can provide,

Try as you will, my soul repels,

To Christ alone determined to live.

To His tender care I entrust you with all the family; and I am, my dear Molly,

With your affection.

To Miss Smith. At Mr. Smith's house, Cormmerchant, Newcastle-on-Tyne. [37]

 

The Lord delivered you from all and honored you

 

It has been many years since I gave you counsel, that God allowed you to follow and sever your connection with an ungodly man—a very unusual case of resolution. You have passed through many challenges of various kinds since then; -but the Lord delivered you from them all, and honored you by making you an instrument of great good for many years in succession

 

For Hannah Ball

LONDON, November 26, 1789.

MY DEAR SISTER,--I was glad to receive one more line from you--perhaps the last I shall receive. It is many years since I gave you counsel, which God permitted you to follow and sever your connection with an ungodly man—a very unusual case of resolution. You have passed through many challenges of various kinds since then; --but the Lord delivered you from them all, and honored you by making you a very good instrument for many years in succession. He has given you an opportunity to be of service to many unawakened souls and many believers. He now honors you by making you partakers of His sufferings: as much as you will conform to His death, and know the power of His resurrection. You are almost exhausted for a good cause; but a little longer, and the pain is no more. Look up, my dear friend. The prize is before us: we are about to meet no more. With time and eternity you will be united to

His brother always affectionate. [38]

 

The good news that your spirit is still rejoicing in God, your Savior

 

The affection I have for you makes me love to see your name at the end of a letter; but especially when it brings me the good news that your spirit is still rejoicing in God, your Savior

 

For Mrs. Cock

LONDON, February 13, 1790.

MY DEAR SISTER, The affection I have for you makes me love to see your name at the end of a letter; but especially when it brings me the good news that your spirit is still rejoicing in God your Saviour. My eyesight is so deteriorated that I cannot read a small print by candlelight; but I can write almost as well as I ever could: and it does me no harm to preach, but it is good to preach once or twice a day. I love to hear the details of your experience, and I received a letter a few days ago from one of our sisters in Scotland, whose experience agrees very much with yours; only it goes further. She speaks of being 'taken up into heaven, surrounded by the blessed Trinity, and admitted into God the Father.' I entrust you to his care; and I

With all the affection. [39]

 

There is something about God's actions with his soul that is out of the ordinary

 

There is something in God's actions with his soul which is out of the ordinary. But I have known several whom he has been pleased to lead in exactly the same way, and particularly in distinctly manifesting to them the three Persons of the ever-blessed Trinity

 

For Anne Cutler

WALTON, April 15, 1790.

MY DEAR SISTER, -- There is something in God's actions with your soul which is out of the ordinary. But I have known several whom he has been pleased to lead in exactly the same way, and particularly in manifesting to them distinctly the three Persons of the ever-blessed Trinity. You may tell me your whole experience at any time; but you must exercise caution in speaking to others, for they would not understand what you say. Go forward in the name of God and in the power of His power. Pray for the whole spirit of humility; and I ask you to write and speak without reservation to, dear Nanny,

With affection.

Your affectionate brother.

To Mr. Andrews, near Hertford.

In the care of Mr. Whitfield,

New Chapel, London. [40]

 

I can still write almost as easily as ever, and I can read in a clear struggle

 

Last August my strength ran out almost immediately, and my eyesight was largely lost. But all is well: I can still write almost as easily as ever, and I can read in a clear struggle; and I think that if I did not know how to read or write, I could still say something for God

 

For Mrs. Cock

NEWCASTLE, June 6, 1790.

My DEAR SISTER, -- Hearing from you is always a pleasure to me; though it is a pleasure mixed with worry to hear of your weakness or sickness. I alone know that the Lord loves whom He chastises. But what kind is your sickness? Perhaps I can tell you how to remove it. And if you can regain your health, you should; for health is a great blessing. Last August my strength ran out almost immediately, and my sight was largely lost. But all is well: I can still write almost as easily as ever, and I can read in a clear struggle; and I think that if I could not read or write, I could still say something for God. [See letter of July 3 to Mr. Heath.] When you have more strength, tell me more about the work of God, either in yourself or in the people around you. And should you not warn me if you are in any temporal suffering? For all that concerns you, worries, my dear Jenny,

With all the affection.

First Addressed--

To Mrs. Jane Cock, St. Heller, Jersey Island.

So--

To Mrs Jane Cock, St. Maws, Cornwall. [41]

 

You do well caring for the lambs in the flock

 

You do well caring for the lambs in the flock. Make sure you never tire of this labor of love

 

For Sarah Rutter

BRISTOL, July 27, 1790.

MY DEAR SISTER, -- Thank you for forwarding me the report of your brother's death. There is something very remarkable about this.

You do well by caring for the lambs in the flock. Be sure never to tire of this labor of love. [See letters of December 5, 1789, and October 18, 1790.]

Mr. Jenkins will stay with you another year. I hope you can now give God your whole heart. Oh, don't let your sisters stand behind you. -- I am, dear Sally,

With affection. [42]

 

It gives me pleasure to find that your heart is still watching over your center

 

 It gives me pleasure to find that your heart is still watching over your center. Joy is a great blessing; but it is extremely susceptible of being carried to the extreme, especially when it is a natural vivacity of temper, which I believe is the case with you

 

For Ms. Armstrong

BRISTOL, August 4, 1790.

MY DEAR SISTER,-- A few days ago I was thinking a great deal of you, probably just at the time when you were writing. I wanted to hear something about you or from you, so that your letter would arrive just in time. It gives me pleasure to find that your heart is still watching over your centre. Cheerfulness is a great blessing; but it is extremely susceptible to being carried to the extreme, especially when it is a natural vivacity of temper, which I believe to be your case. I have often loved you for it, especially as it was united to softness and not to hardness. But I have thought it proper to betray you to bring you lightly, either of spirit or of conversation; whereas we can hardly grow without a deep and constant seriousness. My eyesight has not worsened than it was a few months ago, and my strength has increased considerably. It is not impossible that I may live till spring; and if I do, I shall probably see Ireland once more. The hope of seeing one who loves me (as I am convinced Jenny Armstrong does) would be no small incentive to my undertaking a voyage, though the sea affected me last time more than ever before. [See letter of June 24, 1789.] Yet receive at least this gesture of true affection from my dear Jenny,

Yours with wider love.

For Jane Armstrong, Athlone. [43]

 

Use the faith and talents God has given you

 

Still, use the faith and talents that God has given you, and He will give you more faith and more fruit; for there is no end of His mercies

 

For Sarah Rutter

NORWICH, October 18, 1790.

MY DEAR SISTER, -- You have given me a very pleasant report of the state of our friends at St. Neots. I did not doubt it, but if you yourself would awaken the gift of God that was in you, God would give you a blessing, and soon you would see the fruit of your labor. You have a good incentive to continue. Still, use the faith and talents that God has given you, and He will give you more faith and more fruit; for there is no end of His mercies. I want to spend time with you in St. Neots. When I can make the day, Mr. Bradford will send you a message first. Peace be with all your spirits! -- I am, dear Sally,

With affection. [44]

 

I rejoice to know that your health is better

 

I thank you for the gift of welcome, and I rejoice to know that your health is better. What good is it for us that our Lord will not give us if we can trust him?

 

To Ann Bolton

LONDON, January 12, 1791.

MY DEAR NANCY, -- I thank you for the gift of welcome and rejoice to know that your health is better. What good is it for us that our Lord will not give us if we can trust him? These last four days I have had better health than I had several months before. Only my vision continues practically as before. But good is the Lord's work! -- I am, my dear Nancy,

With your affection. [45]

 

I have your happiness very much in my heart

 

If you want books or anything, let me know; I have your happiness very much in my heart. During the short time I have to stay on earth

 

For Alice Cambridge

LONDON, January 31, 1791,

MY DEAR SISTER, -- I received your letter an hour ago. I thank you for writing so widely and so freely; do it always with me as your friend, as one who loves you well. Mr. Barber has the glory of God in his heart; and so have his fellow-workers. [Thomas Barber apparently came from Carlow to Bandon.] Give honour to all, and obey in everything, as far as conscience will permit. But you will not allow you to be silent when God bids you speak; still, I would like you to offend as little as possible; and therefore I advise you not to speak anywhere where a preacher is speaking at the same time, lest you attract your hearers. Also avoid the first appearance of pride or magnifying yourself. If you want books or anything, let me know; I have your happiness very much at heart. During the short time I have to stay on earth, pray for

Your affectionate brother. [46]

 

You Have Many Reasons to Praise God

 

You have many reasons to praise God, not only for your own sake, for allowing you to indulge in the rest that remains for God's people, but also for the sake of your companions upon whom He has poured out the dew of His blessing

 

For Sarah Rutter

NEAR LONDON, FEBRUARY 17, 1791.

MY DEAR SISTER, -- You have many reasons to praise God, not only for your own sake, for allowing you to give up to the rest that remains for God's people, but also for the sake of your companions upon whom He has poured out the dew of His blessing. You have reason to rejoice especially with the little ones. [See letter of October 18, 1790.] Surely this is a symbol of goodness, both to this and to the emerging generation. I have ordered some Hymns and other little books to be sent, which you win [use] as you please. Be zealous! Be active! Time is short! Peace be with all your spirits! -- I am, dear Sally,

With affection. [47]

 

Meeting you and your loved ones in physical and mental health will be a great pleasure

 

If I am well, I hope to be in Worcester around the 22nd of March. Meeting you and your loved ones in physical and mental health will be a great pleasure to, my dear Suky

 

To Susanna Knapp

LONDON, February 19, 1791.

MY DEAR SUKY, -- As my state of health is increasingly unstable and worsening, I cannot yet lay plans for my future journeys. [See the preceding letter.] Indeed, I intend, God willing, to depart for Bristol on the 28th of the present day; but how far I can still advance, I cannot yet determine. If I am well, I hope to be in Worcester about the 22nd of March. To find you and yours in physical and mental health will be a great pleasure to my dear Suky,

With affection. [48]

 

 

 

 

 



[1] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/

[2] It is a self-governing British Crown dependency located in the English Channel. It is not part of the United Kingdom (Google AI Mode).

[3] Overview of Google's AI mode.

[4] Overview of Google's AI mode.

[5] Overview of Google's AI mode.

[6] Overview of Google's AI mode.

[7] Overview of Google's AI mode.

[8] Overview of Google's AI mode.

[9] Overview of Google's AI mode.

[10] Overview of Google's AI mode.

[11] Overview of Google's AI mode.

[12] Overview of Google's AI mode.

[13] Overview of Google's AI mode.

[14] Overview of Google's AI mode.

[15] Overview of Google's AI mode.

[16] Overview of Google's AI mode.

[17] Overview of Google's AI mode.

[18] Overview of Google's AI mode.

[19] Overview of Google's AI mode.

[20] Overview of Google's AI mode.

[21] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[22] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[23] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[24] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[25] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[26] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[27] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[28] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[29] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[30] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[31] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[32] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[33] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[34] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[35] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[36] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[37] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[38] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[39] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/

[40] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/

[41] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/

[42] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/

[43] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/

[44] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/

[45] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1791/

[46] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1791/

[47] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1791/

[48] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1791/

Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas deste blog