Wesley's
support in the tragedies of his sister Martha
Odilon
Massolar Chaves
Copyright
© 2026, Odilon Massolar Chaves
All rights
reserved to the author.
It is
allowed to read, copy and share for free.
Article
184 of the Penal Code and Law 96710 of February 19, 1998.
Books
published in the Wesleyan Digital Library: 862
Books
published by the author: 902
Cover:https://www.facebook.com/perfeito.massamba.75/posts/susanna-wesley-16691742-a-mãe-de-john-wesley-susanna-wesley-é-amplamente-reconhe/1731150854520737/
Odilon
Massolar Chaves is a retired Methodist pastor, with a doctorate in Theology and
History from the Methodist University of São Paulo.
Son of
Rev. Adherico Ribeiro Chaves and Roza Massolar Chaves.
He is
married to RoseMary.
He has two
daughters: Liliana and Luciana.
His thesis
dealt with the Methodist revival in England in the eighteenth century and its
contribution as a paradigm for our days.
Table of Contents
· Introduction
· About Martha Wesley
·
The
Context of the Letters and Martha Hall
·
Leaving it
at our disposal, which we consider as if it were ours
·
I will
have health if health is better
·
Which path
is better to walk God knows better than man
·
After so
many years, you're as young as my brother, you and I
· If you were with me
·
You can
call Mr. Atlay and ask him to give you two guineas for her
·
It is far
better to attribute everything to the One whose kingdom rules over all
·
What a
blessing it is to have a Friend
·
I don't
want your money; Your love is enough
· Money never stays with me
·
'Life by
delay, no time will give!'
· Oh, my brother
·
Oh, how
you grieved the Spirit of God!
·
You soon
after abandoned the younger one and married the older sister
· The dialogue between Charles Wesley and Westley
============================
Introduction
"Wesley's
Support in the Tragedies of His Sister Martha" is a 30-page book based on
Wesley's letters.
Martha married Westley Hall. It was a painful marriage. She lost 10 children.
Westley Hall had several
affairs, "disappearing for months or kicking Patty out of the house.
During these periods, she stayed at the Foundation. In the mid-1750s, Hall left
it for good. Hall died in December 1775."[1]
In a letter to Martha (Mrs. Hall) on 9 May 1755, Wesley proposed to take care of Westley Hall Junior, his nephew and Martha's son, after her husband's abandonment. He said, "I hope the poor child is no longer burdensome to you. But then you must not interfere by leaving it at our disposal, that we regard it as our own." [2] And Wesley took great care of his nephew.
Wesley also sought to give Martha financial support. In a letter in 1742, Wesley said, "Mr. Hall paid me for the books. I don't want your money; Your love is enough. But write as much and as much as you can." [3]
Wesley came to Martha's
defense and was harsh on clergyman Westley Hall, who abandoned Martha and
became involved with women even in the midst of family tragedies, especially
the loss of children. On August 18, 1743, Wesley told him, "You are a weak,
reckless, fickle, and irresolute man." [4]
In another letter to Westley Hall, on December 22, 1747, Wesley said, "Oh, how you have grieved the Spirit of God! Return to Him with weeping, fasting, and mourning. You are in the belly of hell; But the abyss has not yet closed its mouth on you. Arise, you sleeper, and call upon your God! Perhaps He will still be found." [5]
In 1781, Wesley said
to his sister Martha, "Now, if you were with me, I could show you Crowle,
Belton, the great sycamore tree, and my father's grave." [6]
At the end of the book, we publish "The Dialogue Between Charles Wesley and Westley," when Charles Wesley tells him about hell: "you will find it."[7]
Something to highlight is that, despite all his dedication and travels with Methodism and the Kingdom of God, Wesley took time to take care of relatives as well.
The Author
About Martha Wesley
Martha Wesley (1706–1791) was born
in Epworth. "She was a serious child, which often left her out of
her siblings' games, but she was often praised by her mother for her serious
thoughts." [8]
She was a solemn and level-headed young woman known as
Patty. She was very close to her brother John and listened carefully to her
mother's teachings.
Martha "Patty" Wesley "was one of the closest sisters to
John and Charles Wesley in terms of intellect and temperament, often described
as the one who most resembled John physically and mentally." [9]
As a young woman, she lived in London with her uncle
Matthew Wesley.
Martha Wesley in
early 1734 met Westley Hall (1710–1776), one of John Wesley's students at
Lincoln College, Oxford.
Hall and Martha soon
became engaged, unbeknownst to her family.
Your wedding
"In April 1734,
Hall accompanied John Wesley to Epworth, where he met Wesley's younger sister,
Kezia (1709–41). Hall fell in love with Kezia and, in a few days, he already
proposed to her! Thus began a series of twists and turns in which Hall finally
married Martha on September 13, 1735, to the consternation of his family. [10]
Martha's life was marked by
tragedy. Westley Hall, "a clergyman who initially seemed promising, but
who subsequently abandoned doctrinal orthodoxy, became embroiled in polygamy
scandals and spiritual abuses, and abandoned Martha and her children in misery."[11]
"Although Martha became pregnant ten times, only
one of her children survived infancy." [12]
In a letter to Martha (Mrs. Hall) on May 9, 1755, Wesley proposed to take care of Martha's son. He said, "I hope the poor child is no longer burdensome to you. But then you must not interfere by leaving it at our disposal, that we regard it as our own." [13]
Wesley was referring to his
"own nephew, Westley Hall Junior (often referred to
simply as Wesley), the only surviving son of his sister, Martha
'Patty' Wesley Hall (whom he called Mrs. Hall), and
clergyman Westley Hall." [14]
The
boy died of smallpox at the age of 14.[15]
Martha's marriage was dark. "Her husband, always
deviant, ended up abandoning her, fleeing with a mistress to the West Indies. Martha
remained calm and turned her attention to the Methodism of her brothers, John
and Charles, while enjoying the friendship of Dr. Samuel Johnson and other
literary personalities in eighteenth-century London." [16]
Financial support
Martha Hall or "Patty" had a small income of her own, but she depended heavily on her brother.
To his brother Charles, on
May 3, 1786, Wesley said, "Seven guineas which Patty received from me this month,
besides ten or eleven which she took care me to give Jervas to Nancy this
winter." [17]
Death
Martha outlived her beloved brother John by four
months. He died on July 12, 1791. She was buried in the same crypt behind the
chapel on City Road." [18]
============================
The
Context of the Letters and Martha Hall
Wesley's letters to
Mrs. Hall are correspondence addressed to his own sister, Martha
"Patty" Wesley Hall (1706–1791).
"They reveal a
deeply familiar, pastoral and tender side of the Methodist leader, who
affectionately called her 'Patty' or 'my dear sister'.[19]
"Martha was the 17th daughter of Samuel and Susanna Wesley. His personal life was marked by tragedy and a very difficult marriage to the Reverend Westley Hall, a former disciple of John Wesley at Oxford. Westley Hall proved to be unfaithful, an adherent of ideas contrary to traditional Christian morality and ended up abandoning Martha.
In the
face of his sister's suffering, John Wesley maintained a constant
correspondence with her for decades, offering:
Spiritual Comfort: Words of encouragement to endure the pains and trials of an unhappy marriage and grief over the loss of almost all of your children in infancy.
Direction and friendship: Emotional refuge, calling her not to faint in faith ("do not grow weary in doing good").
Ministerial bond: Martha remained steadfast in the Methodist movement founded by brothers John and Charles Wesley, becoming a respected figure in London circles until the end of her life." [20]
Wesley's letters reveal the support for
Martha and the warning to Westley Hall:
Leaving it
at our disposal, which we consider as if it were ours
To Mrs. Hall
LEEDS on
May 9, 1755.
DEAR SISTER, -- I
suppose my brother informed you of our conversation. I hope the poor child is
not heavier to you. But then you must not interfere by leaving it at our
disposal, that we regard it as our own. Nor will you want the things we need
for life and godliness. At the same time, I doubt not, but you will strive to
be as economical as possible. I'm glad that you and my sister Harper live
together and get closer to the Foundry. Oh, have patience with one another!
Pray for the spirit of peace and love. -- I am
Your very
affectionate brother.
[Hall added to this
letter the following message to his wife:]
MY DEAR, -- I hope
that before this you have heard from my brother, and that he will pay you the
twenty pounds due for your callus. Mr. Allen owes me about fifty pounds, as I
believe you will find from the account that has been settled with my brother; and
before that sum is spent, if you use the necessary savings, you may hear of my
arrival in Barbados and the steps I am taking to provide for all, and how to
direct it to your best friend, [21]
Note: "In the letter sent from Leeds on May 9, 1755, John Wesley was referring to his own nephew, Westley Hall
Junior (often referred to simply as Wesley), the only surviving son
of his sister, Martha "Patty" Wesley Hall
(whom he called Mrs. Hall), and the clergyman Westley
Hall." [22]
I will have health if health is
better
You can boldly say, 'I will
have health if health is better'; Although, naturally, we shouldn't expect much
of it when we're on the wrong side of sixty
To Mrs. Hall
CLONMAIN, June 24, 1771.
DEAR PATTY,--You can boldly say, 'I will have
health if health is better'; Although, naturally, we shouldn't expect much of
it when we're on the wrong side of sixty.
Even more surprising is that I find better
health at sixty-eight than at twenty-eight. I have much less pain, less nausea
in my stomach and fewer physical problems. So that I have a good hope of not
living to be useless, but rather
My body with my load lay down,
And immediately stop working and living.
It means very little if the time we walk on
earth is a little longer or shorter. Just let us take care of it,--
Whether they are many or few,
My days are due to Him,
And all are devoted to Him!
It seems that my sister Harper [Mrs. Harper
passed away this year, at the age of eighty. See letter of June 30, 1743.] It
will go out like a lamp for lack of oil. Well, may you and I live today.--I am,
dear Patty,
His always affectionate friend and brother. [23]
Which path is better to
walk God knows better than man
To Mrs. Hall
LONDON, September 15, 1756.
DEAR SISTER, -- In which
way it is better for us to tread God knows better than man. And we are assured
that He ordains everything for our benefit, that we may be partakers of His
holiness. Probably He deprived them of prosperity to save them from pride;
certainly to rescue you from your own will, and from that legion of foolish and
painful desires that so naturally accompany abundance. Be good and do good to
the utmost of your present power, and then be happy.
I ordered Betty Duchesne
[Wesley buried Elizabeth Duchesne on December 22, 1776. In the Diary, vi. 135,
he describes her as 'a person eminently upright in heart, but for many years
the daughter of toil and sorrow. For nearly forty years she was zealous in good
deeds and eventually shortened her days by working for the poor beyond her
strength.' Charles Wesley broke his fast with her on 15 February 1759: see her
Diary, ii. 259; and letter of October 27, 1758.] to pick up the things you
mentioned, which you've probably done by this point. Therefore, you don't have
to postpone your return to London. I intended to have passed through Salisbury,
but I was so ill ['For a few days,' says Wesley (Journal, iv. 186), 'I lay in
bed with a stream; but on Sunday, the 5th of September, I slipped out, and
preached at Kingswood in the morning, and at Stokes Croft in the afternoon.
Monday at 6 I went out on the machine, and on Tuesday evening I came to
London.'] which was deemed unsafe for me to ride. Make the most of a few days.
-- I am
Your affectionate friend
and brother. [24]
After so many years, you're
as young as my brother, you and I
There is hardly a father in
England who can train three people who, after so many years, are as young as my
brother, you and I
To
Mrs. Hall
WHITEHAVEN, May 28, 1781.
DEAR MATTY, -- There is
scarcely a father in England who can train three persons who, after so many
years, are as young as my brother, you and I.
Align our lives for His
glory. [Haliburton. See Diary, vi. 318n.] [25]
If you were with me
Now, if you were with me, I
could show you Crowle, Belton, the great sycamore tree and my father's grave.
But as there are a hundred and fifty miles between us, we must be content
To
Mrs. Hall
THORNE, NEAR EPWORTH, June
29, 1781.
DEAR PATTY,-- I was
supposed to be in Epworth tonight, but our friends here interrupted me. Now, if
you were with me, I could show you Crowle, Belton, the great sycamore tree and
my father's grave. But as there are one hundred and fifty miles between us, we
must be content.
It is well that Robert Lee
[Boswell should mention Mrs. Hall as one of the companions at the dinner at Dr.
Johnson's on Easter Sunday, April 15, 1781. Robert Lee told Wesley on February
5, 1763, that he should no longer remain in the London Society. See Diary, v.
5.] it doesn't make poor Mrs. Sheriff turn her head! No wonder she wears a tall
cap now. To make sure he tells her how beautiful she looks! And how beautiful
she is! And how can she be so uncivil as not to believe him? However, you did
well to take it out of his hands.
I'm surprised you couldn't
find a lodging near City Road. A little, and we won't need those
accommodations. I don't expect to see London before my usual time. -- I am,
dear Patty,
Your affectionate friend
and brother. [26]
You can call Mr. Atlay and
ask him to give you two guineas for her
I'm glad Peter Hare is a
little careful with his mother. You can call Mr. Atlay and ask him to give you
two guineas for her. And whatever her son allows her quarterly, I will allow
the same. I approve very much of her being with you.' It can be a great blessing
for her.
To Mrs.
Hall
OTLEY, April 24, 1776.
DEAR PATTY,--Ever since I regained my
strength after my late fever, I hardly know what pain, weakness, or tiredness
meant. My health is much better and more peaceful than when I was twenty-five.
So, I was very worried about the shaky hand. But all that is over.
I'm glad Peter Hare is a little careful with
his mother. You can call Mr. Atlay and ask him to give you two guineas for her.
And whatever her son allows her quarterly, I will allow the same. I approve
very much of her being with you.' It can be a great blessing for her.
It's not unlikely that a trip will save Betty
Appleton's life. I think it will kill or cure. Let's live today-- I am, dear
Patty,
Your affectionate friend and brother.
To Mrs. Martha Hall, at the
Foundery, London. [27]
It is far better to
attribute everything to the One whose kingdom rules over all
It is not wise to attribute
our health or any other blessing we enjoy to natural causes alone. It is far
better to attribute everything to the One whose kingdom rules over all. And
whether we have more or less bodily strength matters little, so we are strong
in the Lord and in the power of His power.
To Mrs. Hall
NEWCASTLE-UPON-TYNE, 5 July 1776.
MY DEAREST PATTY,-- It is not wise to
attribute our health or any other blessing we enjoy to natural causes alone. It
is far better to attribute everything to the One whose kingdom rules over all.
And whether we have more or less bodily strength matters little, so we are
strong in the Lord and in the power of His power. It gives strength when it is
desired.
The week before, when I was in the North of
Scotland, where wheels could not move, the horseback path (though I should not
have chosen) for a hundred miles did me no harm. Leave Suky Hare with you,
please. Show this to Mr. Atlay, and he will give you two guineas for it; and I
will help you more when you come to London. A little longer, and the pain will
be no more-- I am, dear Patty,
Your affectionate brother.
In Exeter. [28]
What a blessing it is
to have a Friend
You must not abandon
it. She has almost no real friend in the world other than you and me. What a
blessing it is to have a Friend! How many have never met one in their lives!
To Mrs. Hall
NEWCASTLE-UPON-TYNE,
15 May 1779.
DEAR PATTY, - I've
come this far. I have just over three hundred miles ahead of me before heading
back south.
I advise you to apply
for two, three or four intelligence officers in relation to Nancy. [A
seamstress in Salisbury whom Mrs. Hall's husband seduced. See letter of June
20, 1755.] Admittedly, there are places available in London. And if the worst
happens, we should not insist that she come to the chapel. I don't know if
she's better for coming. She probably won't profit less anywhere else. She was
out of her mind to come to London. Mrs. Glynne [See W.H.S. IV. 217-20.] told
me, when I was last at Shrewsbury, that she had all the work she could do
there, but she never took advice, and acted against the judgment of all her
friends by coming to London for no reason or why.
I wonder if John
Pawson [Pawson was now an assistant on City Road.] and his wife don't live in
my apartments. They complained about the proximity of themselves. They are
neither full nor fasting
You didn't send me
any news about Betsy Ellison. [Elizabeth, daughter of John Ellison and
granddaughter of Wesley's sister, Susanna. Dr. Clarke says that she proved
unhappy, and that Wesley showed her 'great kindness, often relieving her in
afflictions to which her imprudence led her, treating her with great
tenderness, and giving her advice which, if she had followed, would have led
her to true happiness.' To his sister Patience, see the letters of September 7,
1777 and February 4, 1789.] I hope that no news is good news. You must not
abandon it. She has almost no real friend in the world other than you and me.
What a blessing it is to have a Friend! How many have never met one in their
lives! - I am. [29]
I don't want your
money; Your love is enough
To Mrs. Hall (Martha
Wesley)
NEWCASTLE-UPON-TYNE, 17
November 1742.
DEAR SISTER, -- I believe
that the death of your children is a great example of God's goodness to you.
You've told me several times how much of their time they took up! Now that time
has been restored to you, and you have nothing to do but serve our Lord
carelessly and without distractions until you are sanctified in body, soul, and
spirit.
As soon as I saw Mr. Hall,
I invited him to stay at the Foundry, but he wanted me to dismiss him. There is
a strange inconsistency in his temperaments and feelings towards me. The
immovable brethren gradually infused into him, as far as they could, their own
contempt for me and my brother, and antipathy to our whole method of acting,
which is as different from theirs as the light of darkness: nay, they clumsily
taught him to find fault even in my economy and in the external management both
of my family and of the Society; while I know that this is the peculiar talent
which God has given me, in which (by His grace) I am not behind the most
important of them. Nevertheless, there still remains in him something of the
old esteem he had for me at Oxford, and in time it will prevail. He will
discover these wretched men, and the clouds will flee.
I believe that God's
present plan is to visit the poor and desolate Church of England, and that
therefore neither has eluded Mr. Gambold [Gambold had preached before Oxford
University in 1741, but formally separated from the Church of England in 1742
and joined the Moravians, among whom he became assistant bishop in 1754. He was
estranged from the Wesleys. See, Tyerman's Oxford Methodists, pp. 176-8.] nor
will he who abandons it prosper. O pray for the peace of Jerusalem! 'They will
prosper that love thee.'
Your affectionate
friend and brother. [30]
Money never stays with me
Don't consider it,
money never stays with me: it would burn me if it did. I throw it out of my
hands as soon as possible, so it doesn't find a way to my heart. Therefore, you
ought to have spoken to me while I was in London, and before Miss Helena's money.
Lewen Fly
To Mrs. Hall
KINGSWOOD, October 6, I 768.
DEAR PATTY,-- Don't
consider it, money never stays with me: it would burn me if it did. I throw it
out of my hands as soon as possible, so it doesn't find a way to my heart.
Therefore, you ought to have spoken to me while I was in London, and before
Miss Helena's money. Lewen fly. [Wesley had settled some disputed issues with
Miss Helena's father. Lewen and, on 2 November 1767, received the bequest of
1,000 she left him. See the Diary, v. 226-7; Stamp's Orphans' House, pp.
111-112; Wesley de Tyerman, ii. 589-90.] However, I don't know, but I can still
save five pounds, as long as you don't say, 'I'll never ask you again,' because
that's more than you can say; And you shouldn't promise more than you can
deliver.
I hardly know what to
say about the other case. It is a delicate point. Is she sure of her temporary
affairs? Remember the one whom Lawrence Coughlan [See letters of August 27,
1768 and February 25, 1785 (to John Stretton).] married and ruined. Let me not
have another stain of the same kind. Let her be careful to step on firm ground.
Oh, how busy humanity
is! And what nonsense! Things that pass like dreams! Vanity of vanities, all is
vanity except to love and serve God. "I am, dear Patty,
You always
affectionate. [31]
'Life by delay, no time
will give!'
Didn't you quite understand what my brother
and I were doing? Haven't you seen the truth? Or was the cause in your heart?
You didn't feel like joining hands together. You wanted resolution, spirit,
patience. Well, the day has already been spent. What you do, do it fast. 'Life
by delay, no time will give!'
To Mrs. Hall
Near Newcastle-Upon-Yyne,
June 14, 1761.
DEAR PATTY—Why should any of us live in the
world without doing a little good in it? I'm glad you got started. Make sure
you don't get tired of doing well; for it will often be a cross. But take the
cross, and it will carry you. The best fruit grows under the cross.
I have often found it strange that so few of
my relatives are useful to me in the work of God. My sister Wright was, from
whom I should least have expected; But it was only for a short season. My
sister Emly and you, from whom more could be expected, I know not how, kept
their distance, and sometimes convinced each other a little, sometimes as
approved, but never joined heartily to the work. Where did he get stuck? Didn't
you quite understand what my brother and I were doing? Haven't you seen the
truth? Or was the cause in your heart? You didn't feel like joining hands
together. You wanted resolution, spirit, patience. Well, the day has already
been spent. What you do, do it fast. 'Life by delay, no time will give!'
[My] work in the field cannot be completed
before the end of August, as the circuit is now [a] hundred miles longer than
when I was in the North two years ago. O that the one thing is always above in
our thoughts!
Promoting your temporal or eternal good will
always be a pleasure for your dear Patty, your affectionate brother. [Wesley
was very worried about his sister. See the December 26 letter to your
brother.]Endorsed: 'I am grateful to my dear B[rother] for [this].'[32]
Oh, my brother
Oh, my brother! What will
the pure truth tell you? You are a weak, reckless, fickle, irresolute man;
deeply enthusiastic and highly opinionated of himself; and therefore a suitable
tool for those who apply to their weak side, vanity.
To Westley Hall
LONDON, August 18, 1743.
DEAR BROTHER, -- You're
angry. Therefore, you do not see clearly. Compose yourself (by the grace of
God), and I will speak.
I really thought you were
sincere. Now I think differently. There is no inconsistency in this.
I have forgiven thee, but
have not forgotten thee, for poor Brother Hodges. You separate your top
friends, and then wipe your mouth saying you didn't do anything wrong
You are quite insincere in
this, as well as in calling yourself an elder of the Church of England. Now,
you believe that the Church of England is not a Church at all, nor a part of
the Church of Christ. Do not shuffle or swerve. You spoke plainly to Mrs. Clark
and to Mrs. Stotesbury and her husband; And his attempt to soften the situation
made it even worse, and was a new proof of his insincerity.
The first considerable step
you took, after God placed her in my care, without consulting me beforehand,
was to court my poor sister Kezzy, to whom I cannot but attribute her death.
[See the heading to the letter of December 22, 1747.] What a disgusting weakness
and enthusiasm this was! For you may remember that he was the father of God! So
you abandoned one of my sisters and married the other; And everything was still
inspiration. His life has been a mistake ever since. I pray that God will give
you a sound mind. -- I am
Your true friend and
affectionate brother.
In fact, my brother, you need a tutor now more than when you arrived at Oxford. [33]
Oh, how you grieved the Spirit of God!
To Westley Hall
LONDON, December 22,
1747.
DEAR BROTHER,
"I. When you were at Oxford with me fourteen or fifteen years ago, you
were holy and blameless in every kind of conversation. I rejoiced greatly in
the grace of God that was given to you, which was often a blessing to my own
soul. Still, even so, thoughts often arose that were not about God, though at
first they seemed to be. But you were humble and easy to teach, you were easily
convinced, and those imaginings disappeared.
2. More than twelve
years ago you told me that God revealed to you that you should marry my younger
sister. I was very surprised, being sure that you were able to hear our Lord's
dictation (and you witnessed continually) and be a 'eunuch for the sake of the
kingdom of heaven.' But you asserted vehemently that the thing was of God; you
were sure it was His will. God made it clear to you that you should get
married, and that she was the right person. So you asked for and obtained her
consent, and resolved the circumstances related to it.
3. That is why I give
your downfall. Here were several failures in one: (1) you discarded the
precious gift of God; (2) you have wholly inclined to your own understanding,
without consulting me, which was then the guide of your soul, nor the parents
of your intended wife, before you settled the whole matter; and (3) while
following the voice of nature, he said that it was the voice of God.
4. Within days, you
had a counter-revelation that you should not marry her, but her sister. This
last mistake was much worse than the first. But now you were well above
conviction. So, in spite of her poor, surprised father, her brothers, all your
vows and promises, you soon after abandoned the younger and married the older
sister. The other, who honored you as an angel from heaven and still loved you
too much (for you had stolen her heart from the God of your youth), refused to
be comforted. From then on, she went into a prolonged illness, which ended in
her death. And does her blood still cry out to the God of the earth? It is
certainly upon your head.
5. Up to this time,
you were a standard of humility, meekness, seriousness, and continual warning
to the presence of God; and, above all, of self-denial in every kind, and of
suffering all things with joy.
But now there was a
worm in the root of the gourd. Still, it didn't wither at the moment, but for
two years or so after marriage you behaved almost as before.
Then anger and
moodiness began to appear, especially towards his wife. But it didn't take long
for you to realize this, and it seemed to have won.
6. You went to London
ten years ago and met Mr. Whitefield, who came from Georgia. After that, you
began to talk about anyone—not with your usual shyness and self-deprecation,
but with a kind of confidence in your own judgment and an air of self-sufficiency.
A natural consequence was to treat with more severity and contempt those who
opposed his judgment or practice.
7. You came to live
in London. You then seemed to gain ground again for a season. You acted in
concert with my brother and me; Listen to our advice and sometimes follow it.
But this only continued until you made a new contact with some of the Brothers
of the Fetter Route. From then on, you were very quiet for us; we had no
influence over you; You were more and more prejudiced against us, and you would
not receive anything we said.
8. About six years
ago, you moved to Salisbury and founded a society there. For a year or two, you
would go with them to church and the sacrament, and you would just preach the
faith by working with love. God was with you, and they increased both in number
and in knowledge and love of God.
About four years ago,
you ended all friendship with us; You would not even use our hymns, either in
public or in private, but you set them aside and took the German hymnal
instead.
You wouldn't allow
any of yours to read anything we wrote. You took one of my Sermons from the
hand of your servant, saying that you would not allow such books to be read in
your house. In the same way that you spoke to Mrs. Whitemarsh, when you found
her reading one of the Resources. Thus, when you are in you, you have bridged a
great chasm between us and you, which remains to this day, despite some recent
steps taken toward a reunion.
Around the same time
that you stopped going to church and the sacrament. His followers soon followed
in his footsteps, and, not content to neglect the ordinances of God, began,
following his example, to despise them and all who continued to use them, speaking
with equal contempt of public service, private prayer, baptism, and the Lord's
Supper.
From that moment also
you began to defend and teach many unusual opinions: such as that there is no
resurrection of the body; that there is no general judgment to come; and that
there is no hell, nor worm that will never feed, nor fire that will never be
quenched.
9. His earnestness
and warning to the presence of God now diminished daily. You could talk about
anything or nothing, just like others did. You could make a joke, or laugh at
it for real; and as for fasting, abstinence, and self-denial, you, along with the
Moravians, have trampled on it.
You also began to
kiss the women of the Society very often.
(In the following
paragraphs, I recited to him the things he had done in relation to more than
one, or two, or three women, thus concluding :)
And now
you don't know you've done anything wrong! You can eat, drink and have fun. You
are involved with various companies every day and frequent the coffee shops!
Oh, my brother, what is this? How you are above all measure hardened by the
deception of sin! You remember the story of Santon Barsisa [The story of Santon
Barsisa, taken by Steele from the Turkish Tales, forms issue 148 of the
Guardian, August 31, 1718.] I pray that your final end will not be like his!
Oh, how you grieved the Spirit of God! Return to Him with weeping, fasting, and
mourning. You are in the belly of hell; But the abyss has not yet closed its
mouth on you. Arise, you sleeper, and call upon your God! Perhaps He will still
be found. Because He still bears me, I can't despair for you. But you don't
have a moment to lose. May God strike you this instant in the heart, that you
may feel His wrath upon you, and have no rest in your bones because of your
sin, until all your iniquities are finished[34].
You soon
after abandoned the younger and married the older sister
Within days, you had a counter-revelation that
you should not marry her, but her sister. This last mistake was much worse than
the first. But now you were well above conviction. So, in spite of her poor,
surprised father, her brothers, all your vows and promises, you soon after
abandoned the younger and married the older sister. The other, who honored you
as an angel from heaven and still loved you too much (for you had stolen her
heart from the God of your youth), refused to be comforted.
To Westley Hall
LONDON, December 22,
1747.
DEAR BROTHER,
"I. When you were at Oxford with me fourteen or fifteen years ago, you
were holy and blameless in every kind of conversation. I rejoiced greatly in
the grace of God that was given to you, which was often a blessing to my own
soul. Still, even so, thoughts often arose that were not about God, though at
first they seemed to be. But you were humble and easy to teach, you were easily
convinced, and those imaginings disappeared.
2. More than twelve
years ago you told me that God revealed to you that you should marry my younger
sister. I was very surprised, being sure that you were able to hear our Lord's
dictation (and you witnessed continually) and be a 'eunuch for the sake of the
kingdom of heaven.' But you asserted vehemently that the thing was of God; you
were sure it was His will. God made it clear to you that you should get
married, and that she was the right person. So you asked for and obtained her
consent, and resolved the circumstances related to it.
3. That is why I give
your downfall. Here were several failures in one: (1) you discarded the
precious gift of God; (2) you have wholly inclined to your own understanding,
without consulting me, which was then the guide of your soul, nor the parents
of your intended wife, before you settled the whole matter; and (3) while
following the voice of nature, he said that it was the voice of God.
4. Within days, you
had a counter-revelation that you should not marry her, but her sister. This
last mistake was much worse than the first. But now you were well above
conviction. So, in spite of her poor, surprised father, her brothers, all your
vows and promises, you soon after abandoned the younger and married the older
sister. The other, who honored you as an angel from heaven and still loved you
too much (for you had stolen her heart from the God of your youth), refused to
be comforted. From then on, she went into a prolonged illness, which ended in
her death. And does her blood still cry out to the God of the earth? Surely it
is upon your head (...).[35]
The dialogue between Charles Wesley and Westley
"You
are very lucky to have such a devoted wife," Charles noted. "Most
women wouldn't let you get away with these acts."
"I
know," Westley said. "I married an angel. But I don't see a problem
in living with other women."
"John and Charles Wesley had a sister named Martha, who married a man named Westley Hall. He was an Anglican priest who began preaching as a Methodist alongside the Wesley brothers for some time. But the guy was horrible. He ended up impregnating another woman and took her to live with him and Martha. Charles ended up having a conversation with him:
"Is it the end?" Charles asked?
"I don't know. I am the master of my own destiny. If I prefer to be with other women at different times, that's my problem," Westley replied.
"You are very lucky to have such a devoted wife," Charles noted. "Most women wouldn't let you get away with these acts."
"I know," Westley said. "I married an angel. But I don't see a problem in living with other women."
"It's the work of the
Devil," Charles said. "God will make you pay for such deeds."
"It may be," Westley admitted, "but how is He going to do that?--if there is no Hell?"
"Who told you
that?" Charles asked.
"Surely you know the world is round, Charles — it's not flat as they believed on Jesus' day," Westley said. "We can no longer think that Heaven is in heaven above, and Hell is under the earth. So where is Hell?"
"You'll find it, my
friend," said Charles, "you'll find it."[36]
[1]
https://www.wikitree.com//wiki/Wesley-517
[2]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1755/
[3]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1742/
[4]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1743/
[5]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1747/
[6]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1744/
[7] From: "The Methodist Disorders: The Charles Wesley Test." Excerpted from Charles' diary.
[8]
https://www.wikitree.com//wiki/Wesley-517
[9] Overview of Google's AI Mode
[10]
https://divinity.duke.edu/sites/default/files/documents/23_MS_Epistle_to_Martha_Wesley.pdf
[11] Overview of Google's AI Mode
[12]
https://www.encyclopedia.com/women/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/wesley-martha-1706-1791
[13]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1755/
[14] Overview of Google's AI Mode
[15]
https://www.encyclopedia.com/women/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/wesley-martha-1706-1791
[16]
https://www.encyclopedia.com/women/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/wesley-martha-1706-1791
[17]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1786/
[18]
https://www.encyclopedia.com/women/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/wesley-martha-1706-1791
[19] Overview of Google's AI Mode
[20] Overview of Google's AI Mode
[21]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1755/
[22] Overview of Google's AI Mode
[23]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[24]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1756/
[25]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1781/
[26]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1781/
[27]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1776/
[28]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1776/
[29]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1779/
[30]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1742/
[31]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1768/
[32]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1761/
[33]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1743/
[34]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1747/
[35]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1747/
[36] From: "The Methodist Disorders: The Charles
Wesley Test." Excerpted from Charles' diary.
Comentários
Postar um comentário