Wesley's Popular Medicinal Guidelines

 

Odilon Massolar Chaves

 

============================

 

 


Copyright © 2026, Odilon Massolar Chaves

All rights reserved to the author.

It is allowed to read, copy and share for free.

Article 184 of the Penal Code and Law 96710 of February 19, 1998.

Books published in the Wesleyan Digital Library: 865

Books published by the author: 905

Odilon Massolar Chaves is a retired Methodist pastor, with a doctorate in Theology and History from the Methodist University of São Paulo.

Son of Rev. Adherico Ribeiro Chaves and Roza Massolar Chaves.

He is married to RoseMary.

He has two daughters: Liliana and Luciana.

His thesis dealt with the Methodist revival in England in the eighteenth century and its contribution as a paradigm for our days.

 

============================

  

Table of Contents

 

·       Introduction

·       Wesley's medicinal guidelines

·       You should sleep at least six hours out of twenty-four, at once or twice

·       If this fever continues in the country, you can cure all who fall ill near you

·       I didn't give him the medicine that probably would have prevented this

·       Warm lemonade cures any intestinal complaint

·       You should walk at least an hour every day

·       Drink half a pint of milk every morning, with some bread

·       Have breakfast for three or four weeks with nettle tea

·       If seawater has this effect on you, of course you shouldn't drink it

·       Many benefits with the water from the Hot Springs

·       Don't have dinner, but some milk or water

·       It will certainly be worth taking a test of this mineral water

·       Coal poultice will heal you

·       Often postpones bodily health until soul and body heal together

·       I wanted him to see Dr. Whitehead

·       Apply a handful of boiled nettles

·       I think it would be convenient for you to take a shower every day

·       Drink the bran water

·       The remedy of Primitive Physick

·       Very gently swallow one or two tablespoons of warm water as soon as you wake up

·       I believe the volatile tincture of guaiac would relieve the pain in your face

·       I don't know Dr. Davison; but I've seen (maybe three times) more patients than him

·       What means of recovery did you use and with what effect?

·       Air and exercise you must have

·       I would like Dr. Hamilton to send me the receipt for the extraction of the opiate from the sow thistles

·       You just need a proper diet, exact regularity, and constant exercise

·       Cover the wound with white paper wet with saliva 

 

============================

 

Introduction

 

"Wesley's Popular Medicinal Guidelines" is a 43-page book based on Wesley's letters.

"John Wesley's medicinal guidelines  to Methodists and preachers are collected mainly in his famous book Primitive Physick, published in 1747. Wesley argued that the care of the body was a Christian duty and that remedies should be natural, accessible and cheap to help the poor who could not afford doctors". [1]

To his niece Sarah Wesley, June 30, 1788, Wesley said, "You may safely use this or the diet drink prescribed in the Primitive Physick for 'scorbutic wounds.'" [2]

"Scorbutic wounds are lesions on the skin and tissues that do not heal, in addition to bleeding and purple spots, caused by a severe lack of vitamin C in the body, a condition known as scurvy". [3]

Wesley wrote the Primitive Physick and created three popular clinics to take care of the health of the people for free.

Wesley recommended to the preachers that they speak of the book. To Christopher Hopper, on November 20, 1769, Wesley said, "If you love the souls or bodies of men, everywhere recommend the Primitive Physick." [4]

The title of John Wesley's book: "Early Physics: Or, An Easy and Natural Method of Curing Most Diseases." The eighth edition of his Primitive Physick was released in 1759.

"There were 23 official editions of the book Primitive Physick in England during John Wesley's lifetime in the eighteenth century." [5]

Wesley recommended electric shocks. "The electric shocks recommended by John Wesley in the eighteenth century were applications of static electricity generated by primitive friction machines, used as a popular medical therapy to cure pain, inflammation and nervous disorders. The Methodist leader believed that 'electric fire' was a universal remedy given by God." [6]

His knowledge and guidance were wide-ranging. To Thomas Taylor, on, October 30, 1775, Wesley wrote: "I advise: (1) Be electrified (if necessary) eight or ten times. (2) Keep your body open at all times, and this through food (such as baked, boiled, or baked apples) and not through medicine. (3) Wash your head every morning with cold water and rub well with a thick hemp towel. (4) I advise you and Sister Taylor to eat breakfast three or four weeks with nettle tea." [7]

"Wesley was not against rational medical science; he based much of the book on respected physicians of his day (such as Thomas Sydenham and Herman Boerhaave." [8]

 

The Author

 

============================

 

 

Wesley's medicinal guidelines

 

 

Wesley created primitive medicine 

"The Primitive Physick (originally published in 1747) was a famous guide to folk medicine written by John Wesley, the co-founder of the Methodist movement. The book offered low-cost, natural, home remedies so that poor people, who could not afford doctors, could treat common ailments at home." [9] 

Among his guidelines, we find in his letters: 

Wesley guided the leaders on the treatment of the people's illness

 

To Mrs. Moon, on November 5, 1762, Wesley wrote, "If this fever continues in the country, you can cure all who fall ill near you. But this needs to be helped in the beginning. (1) No bleeding, no blisters: these are extremely painful. (2) Give the patient a glass of spring water sweetened with a large spoonful of molasses, lying down in bed. If this is taken at the beginning of the fever, I never knew it didn't work." [10]

Wesley recommended going for a walk

 

To John Bredin, on June 1, 1789, Wesley said, "In the meantime, you should walk at least an hour every day, five or ten minutes at a time; -- when everything is fine, outdoors; When it rains, indoors". [11]

Wesley recommended water from terminal wells

To Lady Maxwell, on June 4, 1767, Wesley stated: "I believe that a trip to England may be of great help to your health. And it's not unlikely that you can get a lot of benefit from the water from the Thermal Wells near Bristol."[12]

Wesley advised going to the doctor

To his niece Sarah Wesley, on March 7, 1788, Wesley said: It is very likely that this will have the same effect in my brother's case. But in the meantime, I wanted him to see Dr. Whitehead. I am convinced that there is no other doctor like that in England." [13] 

Wesley advised on the use of simple remedies 

"Prioritize herbs, cold showers, teas, and cheap substances listed in your manual, rather than expensive recipes or aggressive treatments of the season." [14] 

To Adam Clarke, on October 28, 1790, Wesley said, "I believe that the medicine of the Primitive Physick (a sip of tartar salts and a sip of cochineal in a great quantity of toast and water) can warm your intestines." [15]

Wesley recommended dieting and going to bed early

To Lady Maxwell, on July 5, 1765, Wesley said, "Let him sleep as soon as possible; never later than ten, to wake up as early as health allows. To have a good spirit, so called, or the other way around, depends a lot on it. I believe that medicines will not do you much good: you just need a proper diet, exact regularity and constant exercise, with God's blessing." [16]

Wesley recommended electric shocks

To Thomas Taylor, on, October 30, 1775, Wesley advised, "I advise: (1) Be electrified (if necessary) eight or ten times. (2) Keep your body open at all times, and this through food (such as baked, boiled, or baked apples) and not through medicine. (3) Wash your head every morning with cold water and rub well with a thick hemp towel. (4) I advise you and Sister Taylor to eat breakfast three or four weeks with nettle tea." [17] 

In his letters, we find several of Wesley's guidelines:

 

You should sleep at least six hours out of twenty-four, at once or twice

 

Lack of sleep can cause hoarseness. You should sleep at least six hours in twenty-four, at one time or twice. For hoarseness, see Primitive Medicine; And try, one after the other, if necessary, the garlic, the apple, the preserves and the balsam

 

To Thomas Rankin

LONDON, December 15, 1764.

DEAR TOMMY,--I will send a man to W. Darney [See letter of November 6.] who is as hard as himself—that is, T. Bryant. But it has changed a lot for the better, and I think it won't shock you now. You don't really have to be very close to each other: Cornwall is wide enough. Otherwise, let T. Bryant stay in Devonshire and Peter Price move west. [Price was admitted to trial as a preacher in August, 1765.] John Catermole remains steadfast in Kingswood and can't get far.

I wish you could conquer J. Paynter too. And who knows, Love can do that.

Lack of sleep can cause hoarseness. You should sleep at least six hours in twenty-four, at one time or twice. For hoarseness, see Primitive Medicine; And try, one after the other, if necessary, the garlic, the apple, the preserve, and the balm.

I don't know how you're going to get Goodwin subscribers [See letters of November 2 and December 31.] while you're pressing the general subscription.--I am, dear Tommy, your affectionate friend. [18]

 

If this fever continues in the country, you can cure all who fall ill near you

 

If this fever continues in the country, you can cure everyone who gets sick near you. But this needs to be helped in the beginning. (1) No bleeding, no blisters: these are extremely painful. (2) Give the patient a glass of spring water sweetened with a large spoonful of molasses, lying down in bed. If this is taken at the onset of the fever, I never knew it didn't work.

 

For Ms. Moon

CANTERBURY, November 5, 1762.

 

MY DEAR SISTER,-- Ten times I believe I will answer your last time, and I have also been hampered. Certainly Satan does not approve of our correspondence together. And no wonder, since he does not like what tends to promote the kingdom of God. And this is what your letters always do. I find in them an encouraging and strengthening power. And that's what I particularly want; for I often feel a weakness of the soul, a languor of the spirit, so that I cannot, as if I were advancing towards the goal. I am particularly sensible of this when I am in company with serious and good-hearted people, who are not alive to God, and yet say nothing that can be rebuked. Thus, I tend to stay silent and make the battle a drawn battle. I want the vigor of the spirit to break, whether they listen or refrain. Help me to move forward, my friend, with your prayers.

If this fever continues in the country, you can cure everyone who gets sick near you. But this needs to be helped in the beginning. (1) No bleeding, no blisters: these are extremely painful. (2) Give the patient a glass of spring water sweetened with a large spoonful of molasses, lying down in bed. If this is taken at the onset of the fever, I never knew it didn't work.

How God's work now happens around you Can Brother Cotty [James Cotty was a preacher from 1767 to 1780.] preach And can John Manners [See letter of March 24, 1761] do anything? I really want to know the details of Miss Helena. Romaine [Probably a relative of the Rev. William Romaine, who was born at Hartlepool in 1714.] experience. I wanted her to write to me. Do you find a growth in grace in humility, meekness, patience? May our Lord make all grace abound in you-- I am, my dear sister, Your affectionate friend and brother. [19]

 

I didn't give him the medicine that probably would have prevented this

 

I am afraid that the late return of his attacks was to some extent my fault, because I did not give him the medicine that would probably have prevented it. I thought about it, indeed; But it didn't go any further when you said your grandmother would send you to the salt water

 

To Alexander Knox

BRISTOL, September 27, 1778.

MY DEAR ALLECK, I am afraid that the late return of your attacks was to some extent my fault, because I did not give you the remedy that would probably have prevented it. I thought about it, indeed; But you didn't go any further when you said your grandmother would send you to the salt water. I doubt you haven't been there this beautiful autumn, and now the year is very much spent.

Some time ago I was reading an account of a person in France, whose confessor absolutely forbade (for such a time) to think of his sins, and commanded him to "think only of the mercies of God in Christ." This had an admirable effect on this despondent man. I know I don't, but it may have happened to you. Don't look down, but look up. Do not let the corruptible body press down on the soul, and give no place to the evil one, who would continue to keep you steeped in the dark side of this prospect. There is good determined in relation to you, and not evil. God has not abandoned you. Thou shalt not die, but live, and declare the loving-kindness of the Lord. He did indeed rebuke and correct them, but he did not put them to death. But you shouldn't lock yourself in the house: you should be outdoors as much as possible; No, and you should ride horses whenever you can...

I commend you all to the one who cares for you; and I am, dear Alleck,

With affection. [20]

 

Warm lemonade cures any intestinal complaint

 

Warm lemonade cures any intestinal complaint. (6) If you have a bath pot, pour a gallon of boiling water into the cold water. Then you can shower three times a week. And send me a message next month how you are.

 

To Joseph Taylor

LONDON, December 29, 1785.

DEAR JOSEPH, - I advise: (1) Until March, preach no more than twice a day. (2) Never preach more than three-quarters of an hour. (3) Never force your voice. (4) For at least a month do not drink tea: I admire you if you don't like it more. Wind is not an original disease, but a symptom of nervous weakness. (5) Warm lemonade cures any intestinal complaint. (6) If you have a bath pot, pour a gallon of boiling water into the cold water. Then you can shower three times a week. And send me a message next month how you are. - I am, dear Joseph,

Your affectionate friend and brother.

To the Rev. Mr. Joseph Taylor,

In Aberdeen.

Your affectionate brother. [21]

 

You should walk at least an hour every day

 

And if anything could remove it, it would be to take an ounce of lime water every morning for sixteen days and ten drops of vitriolo elixir in a glass of plain water every afternoon. In the meantime, you should walk at least an hour every day, five or ten minutes at a time; -- when everything is fine, outdoors; When it rains, indoors.

 

To John Bredin

LONDONDERRY, June 1, 1789.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- I believe that neither air nor the other means a straw. The issue of complaint is within, not without; And if anything could remove it, it would be to take an ounce of lime water every morning for sixteen days and ten drops of vitriolo elixir in a glass of plain water every afternoon. In the meantime, you should walk at least an hour every day, five or ten minutes at a time; -- when everything is fine, outdoors; When it rains, indoors. [See letters of November 16, 1785 (to him) and October 17, 1790.]

It will be good if you can gather enough collection to build a preaching house in Jersey. [See letter of November 5, 1788.] And why not, if you face it with faith, they are not all things possible for those who believe. But if you do build, be careful to have enough windows and two wide doors; and don't build a scarecrow house.

Certainly, whenever you leave Jersey and Guernsey, you will do well to return to Ireland. But take care! If you give in to discontent, it will find you anywhere. -- I am

Your affectionate friend and brother. [22]

Note: The liquid ounce or fluid ounce (fl oz for its abbreviation in English) is a unit of measurement of volume (...)  The British net ounce is equal to 28.4130625 ml".[23]

 

Drink half a pint of milk every morning, with some bread

 

Take half a liter of milk every morning, with a little bread, not cooked, but only heated; a man in tolerable health could double the amount. (2) If it's too heavy, add as much water as possible and boil it along with a spoonful of oatmeal.

 

For James Hargrave,

Near Colne in Lancashire.

NEWINGTON, December 10, 1748.

DEAR SIR,--1. I have read your letter carefully and I very much approve of the spirit in which it was written. You speak with love. I also wish to do the same; and then no harm can be done on either side. You don't seem to be bound by your own opinion, but you are open to greater convictions (...).

"So it is well worth trying again, if you have any true respect for your own health, or any compassion for those who are dying around you for want of the ordinary necessities of life.

16. If you are sincere in this request, if you do not talk about your health while the real objection is your inclination, make a righteous judgment like this: (1) Take half a pint of milk every morning, with a little bread, not cooked, but only warmed; a man in tolerable health could double the amount. (2) If it's too heavy, add as much water as possible and boil it along with a spoonful of oatmeal. (3) If this does not agree, try half a cup, or a little more, of water porridge, neither thick nor thin; unsweetened, as that could make you sick, but with very little butter, salt, and bread. (4) If that disagrees, try sage, green balm, mint or pennyroyal tea, infusing only the amount of the herb to change the color of the water. (5) Try two or three of these mixed in various proportions. (6) Try ten or twelve other English herbs. (7) Try foltron, a blend of herbs found in many grocery stores, much healthier and cheaper than tea. (8) Try cocoa. If, after trying each of them for a week or ten days, you notice that none of them match your constitution, then use (weak green) tea again; But at the same time, know that the fact that you wear it for so long has brought you close to the chambers of death.[24]

 

Have breakfast for three or four weeks with nettle tea

 

I advise: (1) Be electrified (if necessary) eight or ten times. (2) Keep your body open at all times, and this through food (such as baked, boiled, or baked apples) and not through medicine. (3) Wash your head every morning with cold water and rub well with a thick hemp towel. (4) I advise you and Sister Taylor to eat breakfast three or four weeks with nettle tea.

 

For Thomas Taylor

LONDON, October 30, 1775.

DEAR TOMMY,--At all costs, put them under discipline; Either fix it or do away with them. I think Mr. Cayley will do more good than harm. Now he is no longer held accountable in relation to his wife. She will not live with him. I will have no objection to you mentioning the Colne house if we live to see another Conference. It seems to be a really urgent case.

I advise: (1) Be electrified (if necessary) eight or ten times. (2) Keep your body open at all times, and this through food (such as baked, boiled, or baked apples) and not through medicine. (3) Wash your head every morning with cold water and rub well with a thick hemp towel. (4) I advise you and Sister Taylor to eat breakfast three or four weeks with nettle tea. Then you will find to preach, especially in the morning, one of the noblest remedies in the world.--I am, with affection to the nanny, dear Tommy,

Your affectionate friend and brother. [25]

 

If seawater has this effect on you, of course you shouldn't drink it

 

If seawater has this effect on you, of course you shouldn't drink it. The whole body is full of absorbent pores. You absorb enough water that way. If your appetite increases, your strength also increases, though in insensible degrees

 

BRISTOL, September 8, 1788.

MY DEAR SALLY, -- You will have as many friends as you want for your good; and why my Betty Ritchie shouldn't be at the number I should expect from it, if I live to see London again, which it probably will be in three weeks.

If seawater has this effect on you, of course you shouldn't drink it. [See letters of September 1, 1788, and September 17, 1790.] The whole body is full of absorbent pores. You absorb enough water that way. If your appetite increases, your strength also increases, though to insensible degrees.

I've seen John Henderson several times. I hope he doesn't live in any sin. But it is a great disadvantage that he has nothing to do. I hope we find something for him.

I have a work in my hands that will give you pleasure: I started writing the Life of my brother. [This work he never did. He died before he had made much progress in collecting material. See Charles Wesley, ii. of Jackson. 454; and letter of September 26.] Now, in this you can help me a lot. You knew as much about him as most people; And you have a witness's pen ready. Write down everything you can remember about it. I think that between us we will be able to understand something. You can put everything you can think of; I can choose the portion that is most suitable. Now you have time for this and to do good to whom Providence commits into your hands. Peace be with your spirit! -- I am, my dear Sally,

Your fondly tender. [26]

 

Many benefits with the water from the Hot Springs

 

I believe that a trip to England can be of great help to your health. And it's not unlikely that you can get a lot of benefit from the water from the Hot Springs near Bristol

 

To Lady Maxwell

CORK, June 4, 1767.

MY DEAREST MALADY,-- I believe that a trip to England can be of great help to your health. And it's not unlikely that you can get a lot of benefit from the water from the Thermal Wells near Bristol. In August, I hope to be in Bristol, and again at the end of September. My carriage and horses are in Bristol, which you would very much like if you would use as your own (in case you bring none) during your stay there; To do this, you should, if possible, cycle there every day. My wife, who is in Newcastle, will be extremely happy to serve you there. And if you choose to rest a few days, I'd be happy if you used the Orphan House. You would be pleased with Miss Dales, [See letter of September 29.] and they with you; you and they drank in one Spirit. Miss Helena Sánchez. Peggy is one of the holiest young women I know; in fact, I think that both sisters desire nothing but to glorify God with their body and with their spirit. You'll be so kind to let me know when you expect to be in Newcastle, and maybe I can meet you there.

As you have been providentially called to the place where you are now, I cannot doubt that you will be preserved. But you need a lot of prayer and continual watchfulness, or you may insensibly miss what God has given. I'm jealous of you; I can't help but be interested in what interests you. I know his tender spirit, his desire to please everyone for their sake, his reluctance to cause pain. And even these amiable dispositions can be a little weapon; For how can they be taken too far! If you find something that hurts you or takes your soul away from God, I conjure you to flee for life! In this case, you should not be formal in ceremony; You must escape without delay. But I hope for better things: I hope you will be sent to Brisbane, [Your father Thomas Brisbane, lived in Brisbane, in County Ayr.] not to receive injury, but to do good, to grow in grace, to find a deeper communion than ever with Him who gave Himself for you; and to satisfy the joy of, my dear Lady, Your most affectionate friend. [27]

 

Don't have dinner, but some milk or water

 

To start with small things. If you take care of your health, don't have dinner, but some milk or water. This will protect entirely from God's blessing against nervous disorders; Especially if you get up early every morning, whether you preach or not

 

To Richard Steel

LONDONDERRY, April 24, 1769.

DEAR BROTHER,-- Now I will tell you the things that have more or less crossed my mind since I have been in the North of Ireland. If you forget them, you will be a sufferer, and so will the people; If you look at it, it will be good for both of you.

1. To start with small things. If you take care of your health, don't have dinner, but some milk or water. This will protect entirely from God's blessing against nervous disorders; Especially if you get up early every morning, whether you preach or not.

"About your person, clothes and housing. [The Temple, by George Herbert, 'The Church Porch,' stanza 62.]

(3) Any clothes they have, which are whole; No rent, no rags, no rags. These are a scandal for both men and women, being more the fruit of vile laziness. Fix your clothes, or I'll never expect you to fix your lives. Let no one see a ragged Methodist.

(4) Clean yourself from lice. These are proofs of both impurity and laziness: beware of this. Don't cut your hair, but clean it up and keep it clean.

(5) Cure yourself and your family of itching: A spoonful of sulfur will heal you. Letting this happen from year to year proves both laziness and impurity. Take it off immediately. Let the North no longer be a proverb of rebuke to the whole nation.

(6) Do not use tobacco unless prescribed by a doctor. It is a dirty and unhealthy indulgence; And the more custom you are, the more resolutely you must break with all degrees of this evil custom.

(7) Do not use snuff unless prescribed by a doctor. I suppose no other nation in Europe is so vile in bondage to this silly, nasty, and filthy custom as the Irish. But let Christians no longer remain in this slavery. Assert your freedom, and all this at once: nothing will be done gradually. But now you can be set free by Christ by strengthening you.

(8) Do not touch the dram. It's liquid fire. It is a certain poison, although slow. This drains the very springs of life. In Ireland, above all the countries of the world, I would abstain sacredly, because evil is so general; and to this, along with snuff and smoke-filled huts, I attribute the blindness which is so common throughout the nation.

Perhaps I have inserted in the second article what I particularly wish where you preach—namely, that there may be a little house. May this be received without delay. Wherever it is not, let no one expect to see me.--I am

Your affectionate brother. [28]

 

It will certainly be worth taking a test of this mineral water

 

It will certainly be worth taking a test of this mineral water; it is highly probable that God will make it a means of diminishing, if not removing it, his bodily disturbance. I cannot question that this is largely scorpotic; as an almost constant symptom of scurvy is a great depression of the spirits.... I cannot advise you, in the meantime, to lock yourself up at home; It's not good for your body or your mind.

 

To Alexander Knox

NEAR LONDON, JANUARY 28, 1780.

DEAR ALLECK, - It will certainly be worth taking a test of this mineral water; it is highly probable that God will make it a means of diminishing, if not removing it, his bodily disturbance. I cannot question that this is largely scorpotic; as an almost constant symptom of scurvy is a great depression of the spirits.... I cannot advise you, in the meantime, to lock yourself up at home; It's not good for your body or your mind. You can't have physical health without daily outdoor exercise; and you have no reason to expect the spirit of a healthy mind unless you use the means which God has ordained. You know well that faith comes listening; Therefore, I advise you not to miss any opportunity to listen and trust God with the event. You probably won't be in a more uncomfortable state than you already are. And what is the greater evil of the two, even assuming the worst? Surely having two attacks is less bad than missing fifty precious opportunities. O break this fear, which is only a trap of the devil. I commend you and yours to Him who is ready to save you in soul and body; and I am, dear Alleck,

With affection.[29]

 

Coal poultice will heal you

 

If you had covered the wound with white paper wet with saliva, it would have stuck until you were fine. 'Maybe I still can. But if not, the coal poultice will cure you in a few days. Throw common coal into the fire; sift it through a sieve; mix this powder with warm water; Place this poultice, half an inch thick, on a linen between the wound, changing every twenty-four hours.

 

LONDON, July 13, 1790.

MY DEAR SALLY, -- As my friends would not accept refusals, I took two or three days to see them, only adding a hundred and fifty miles to my journey. If my life extends until October, I hope we will meet then. If not, we'll find ourselves in a better place. It is remarkable that you are in this gentleman's house. I don't remember seeing him just once. It was when I was at Temple Church, and he laughed and did sports most of the time. [Mr. L-----. See the July 31 letter to her.]

If you had covered the wound with white paper wet with saliva, it would have stuck until you were fine. 'Maybe I still can. But if not, the coal poultice will cure you in a few days. Throw common coal into the fire; sift it through a sieve; mix this powder with warm water; Place this poultice, half an inch thick, on a linen between the wound, changing every twenty-four hours. But you will need patience. -- I am, my dear Sally,

With all the affection. [30]

Note: "In the eighteenth century, in England, the coal poultice (a warm porridge made with charcoal powder mixed with liquids such as water, herbal infusions, or flaxseed and applied over a cloth) was used primarily in folk and hospital medicine to absorb foul odors, reduce inflammation, and treat infected wounds, skin ulcers, and putrefying wounds" (Google AI Mode Overview).

 

Often postpones bodily health until soul and body heal together

 

But He often postpones bodily health until He heals soul and body together. Perhaps this is His plan for you. But why don't you go to salt water? If you're broke, let me gladly help you out a bit.

 

To Alexander Knox

BRISTOL, July 29,  1777.

DEAR ALLECK,--I have just returned from a trip to Monmouthshire and other parts of Wales.

No: God has not forgotten you. You must not say, 'He hides His face, and He will never see you.' Surely God saw it; and He cannot despise the work of His own hands. But He often postpones bodily health until He heals soul and body together. Perhaps this is His plan for you. But why don't you go to salt water? If you're broke, let me gladly help you out a bit. In the meantime, I give you a word for your consideration,--' Why are you so heavy, O my soul? And why are you restless within me? Oh, trust in God! I will still give thanks to Him, who is the help of my face and my God.'

Peace be with all your spirits--I am

With affection. [31]

 

I wanted him to see Dr. Whitehead

 

It is very likely that this will have the same effect in my brother's case. But in the meantime, I wanted him to see Dr. Whitehead. I am convinced that there is no other doctor like this in England

 

To your niece Sarah Wesley

BRISTOL, March 7, 1788.

MY DEAR SALLY, -- When my appetite was completely gone, to the point that all I could eat for dinner was a roasted turnip, it was restored in a few days of daily riding, after taking ten drops of vitriol elixir in a glass of water. It is very likely that this will have the same effect in my brother's case. But in the meantime, I wanted him to see Dr. Whitehead. [John Whitehead. See letter of October 15, 1766.] I am convinced that there is no other such physician in England; though (to confound human wisdom) he does not know how to heal his own wife.

He should lie in bed as little as possible during the day; otherwise, it will disrupt his sleep at night.

Now, Sally, tell your brothers on my behalf [See letter of March 5.] that their tenderly respectful behavior toward their father (even asking for forgiveness if they have offended him in anything) will be the best cordial to him under heaven. I don't know, but they can save your life like this. Knowing that nothing will be lacking from you brings great satisfaction to, my dear Sally,

With great affection. [32]

 

Apply a handful of boiled nettles

 

There is very little danger in any sore throat if, as soon as it starts, you apply a handful of boiled nettles and repeat if necessary after six hours. I knew one who healed at first by drinking a pint and a half of cold water and soaking his feet in hot water. But every strong drink is painful

 

For Mrs. Woodhouse

LONDON, November 12, 1768.

MY DEAREST SISTER,-- I believe Mr. Rankin [Rankin had been an assistant at Epworth for two years and was now in Cornwall.] will write shortly. You did well to write to me. I'm always happy to hear from you, more than from most other people. I can't believe John Harrison's 'Still' brother in Epworth. See Diary, iii. 5, 19.] history. Perhaps one should not believe it without having the accuser and the accused face to face, especially if the girl behaved well while she was with you. It may be that you did not pray for her, and then anger arose easily.

You must trust God with Mr. Woodhouse, [See letter of February 3, 1768.] and He will do all well. There is very little danger in any sore throat if, as soon as it starts, you apply a handful of boiled nettles and repeat if necessary after six hours. I knew one who healed at first by drinking a pint and a half of cold water and soaking his feet in hot water. But every strong drink is painful. I haven't heard from John Standring recently. [Standring, then travelling through southern Lancashire, appears in the Minutes of 1766. He was much loved by those among whom he worked. See Atmore Memorial, p. 400.]

You now retain the love you had and the spirit of prayer And still manage to give your whole heart to God Hold on to Him, and what may hurt you And write freely to, my dear sister,

Your affectionate brother.

To Mrs. Woodhouse, at Mr. Hutton's house, at Epworth, near Thorne, Yorkshire. [33]

Note: "In the eighteenth century in England, boiled nettles (or consumed as nettle tea/soup) were a traditional folk remedy used primarily to purify the blood, treat rheumatism, relieve gout,  and fight scurvy or colds due to plant nutrients" (Google AI Mode Overview).

 

 

I think it would be convenient for you to take a shower every day

 

I think it would be convenient for you to shower every day, unless you feel cold when you go out. But I don't advise you to drink sea water. I am convinced that it was never designed to enter any human body for any purpose other than to drown it.

 

To your niece Sarah Wesley

BRISTOL, September 1, 1788.

MY DEAR SALLY, -- I received yours yesterday afternoon. As Ramsgate [See letters of August 7th and September 8th.] is more reserved, I do not regret that you are there, and that you have such a suitable companion.

I think it would be convenient for you to shower every day, unless you feel cold when you go out. But I don't advise you to drink sea water. I am convinced that it was never designed to enter any human body for any purpose other than to drown it.

The great comfort is that you have a good and wise doctor, always ready to both advise and help. Therefore, you are sure that health will be better if health is the best. May all things work together for your good is the prayer of, my dear Sally,

His uncle always affectionate. [34]

 

I was asking Dr. Whitehead if Harrogate wouldn't be better for Sally than seawater

 

Yesterday I was asking Dr. Whitehead whether Harrogate would not be better for Sally than seawater. [Sally went to Ramsgate. See the September 1 letter.] He seems to think so; and I wouldn't think much of giving her ten or twenty pounds to make a judgment. But I wish she could see him first, which she can do any day between seven and eight in the morning.

 

To Mrs. Charles Wesley

NORTH GREEN, August 7, 1788.

DEAR SISTER, -- As the Conference ended yesterday afternoon, my haste has now abated a little. I can't blame you for thinking about leaving that big house. If you could find a lodging for your mind, it would be preferable in many respects, and perhaps you could live as uncared as you did in Garth's great mansion. Yesterday I was asking Dr. Whitehead whether Harrogate would not be better for Sally than seawater. [Sally went to Ramsgate. See the September 1 letter.] He seems to think so; and I wouldn't think much of giving her ten or twenty pounds to make a judgment. But I wish she could see him first, which she can do any day between seven and eight in the morning. Part of the first money I receive I will reserve for you [See letter of December 21.]; and in everything in my power you can count on the voluntary help of dear Sally,

Your affectionate friend and brother. [35]

Note: "Harrogate is a famous spa and tourist town located in the county of North Yorkshire, in the north of England, with about 85 thousand inhabitants. It was historically known for its mineral water sources rich in sulfur and iron" (Google AI Mode Overview).

 

Drink the bran water

 

But in the meantime, take care of your health. Colds are dangerous things for you, especially at this time of year. Pedal as much as possible. Drink the bran water and follow the other advice I gave you from time to time

 

To Ann Bolton

LONDON, February 4, 1769.

MY DEAREST SISTER,-- You may be sure that it is not a lack of inclination that prevents me from visiting Witney. [He had been kept in London.] But my time falls short. On Monday, March 6, I am to leave London to preach in Bath on Tuesday evening; the rest of the week to visit the classes in Bristol; and the following Monday he left for Ireland. So that my time is little for work, although I take the shortest possible route.

As for you, you make me say more than I intended. I could not help admiring his behaviour in London [See letter of 12 January]: so affectionate, and yet so prudent. If we live until the end of the year, I hope we spend a little more time together. And it will certainly be useful, not harmful. But in the meantime, take care of your health. Colds [See letter of February 12.] are dangerous things for you, especially at this time of year. Pedal as much as possible. Drink the bran water and follow the other advice I gave you from time to time.

I hope that having a convenient place to preach will be very helpful in the advancement of the gospel. A blessing is ready for many; For you in particular. I still say, Dare to believe! Believe and feel Him near! Reach out and touch Him! He's not standing at the door of your heart And don't forget, my dear Nancy,

Your affectionate brother. [36]

PS.--Don't think about sending me anything; Your love is enough.

Note: "It was common in some cultures and home remedies to use oat water or cereal water soaked (bran-based) to aid digestion, soothe the stomach, or as a popular nutritious tonic (Google AI Mode Overview).

 

The remedy of Primitive Physick

 

I believe that the remedy of Primitive Physick (a sip of tartar salts and a sip of cochineal in a large amount of toast and water) can warm your intestines.

 

 To Adam Clarke

BEDFORD, October 28, 1790.

DEAR ADAM, -- I'm glad my letter had such an effect. I deeply love our precious Society in Dublin, and I cannot help being very sensitive to anything that bothers them. I'm glad that our leaders have adopted this excellent method of regularly changing classes. Wherever this was done, it was a means of speeding up both the leaders and the people. I wish this custom could be introduced effectively. You have done well to avoid all irregular and turbulent prayer meetings, [See letter of September 9], and at all costs to keep the meetings of the Society private.

Poor Mr. Smyth is now used just as he used me. It must bend or break. While you can't invite any Bethesda members to join us, you also can't decline when they volunteer. Do well to show all possible courtesy to Mr. Wm. Smyth and his family [See letter of June 16, 1788.] as long as the Society in Dublin has more than a thousand persons, you will have no reason to complain.

Don't leave too much for free with opium. I believe that the remedy of Primitive Physick (a sip of tartar salts and a sip of cochineal in a large amount of toast and water) can warm your intestines. -- I am, dear Adam,

Your affectionate friend and brother. [37]

To Mr. Adam Clarke, in the new room,

In Dublin.

 

Very gently swallow one or two tablespoons of warm water as soon as you wake up

 

I advise Betsy every morning to very gently swallow a tablespoon or two of warm water as soon as she wakes up. I believe this will relieve her morning cough. And I advise her every night, when she goes to bed, to put a small licorice (shaved like horseradish) between her gums and the cheek that is higher up. This will suspend the evening cough for half an hour or so.

 

For Samuel Bradburn

CHESTER, April 7, 1781.

DEAR SAMMY, -- I advise Betsy every morning to swallow a spoonful or two of warm water very gently as soon as she wakes up. I believe this will relieve her morning cough. And I advise her every night, when she goes to bed, to put a small licorice (shaved like horseradish) between her gums and the cheek that is higher up. This will suspend the evening cough for half an hour or so. Then she can spit it all out. But she needs additional daily exercise, which (until she gets stronger) should be like a wooden horse—that is, a long plank suspended in two hairs.

Now, Sammy, by almighty faith! -- I am

Your affectionate friend and brother.[38]

 

I believe the volatile tincture of guaiac would relieve the pain in your face

 

I believe the volatile tincture of guaiac would relieve the pain in your face. I don't remember if I've mentioned this before or not. Put a teaspoon in a piece of sugar and take this in a glass of clear water four times a day. But it would also be good to soak your feet in warm water for a few minutes before going to sleep

 

To Ann Bolton

LONDON, February 26, 1780.

MY DEAR NANCY, "You have forgotten the exhortation that speaks to you as to children, "Do not despise the punishment of the Lord, nor despise yourself when you are rebuked by Him." Something may happen where we cannot say, 'This is the Lord; let Him do what seems good. In all circumstances, can we adopt our Lord's words: 'The cup that My Father has given me, do I not drink?' In your patience, possess your soul. Be aware of all the reasons that are not profitable. Hold on tight, whatever instruments are employed, - Suffering is a gift of God to you! [See letters for January 14 and June 22.] And all are meant for your benefit, so that you may be part of His holiness.

I believe the volatile tincture of guaiac would relieve the pain in your face. I don't remember if I've mentioned this before or not. Put a teaspoon in a piece of sugar and take this in a glass of clear water four times a day. But it would also be good to soak your feet in warm water for a few minutes before going to sleep.

Next Monday I must leave for Bristol. On Monday, a fortnight, March 13, I hope to be in Stroud. If it's possible, let me see you there.

No one will be more welcome to, dear Nancy,

With all the affection. [39]

Note: " Guaiac tincture (or guaiac, extracted from the wood of the Guajacum officinale or rosewood) is a traditional alcoholic preparation historically used in the ancient pharmacopoeia as a depurative and for rheumatism" (Google's AI mode overview).

 

I don't know Dr. Davison; but I've seen (maybe three times) more patients than him

 

 I don't think the water from Bristol would have done you much good; but exercise and change of air would do. I don't know Dr. Davison; but I've seen (maybe three times) more patients than him. And I know many who have died from swallowing large amounts of powdered wood. Beware of that, and you can live and do good

 

To John Valton

LONDON, January 6, 1784.

MY DEAR BROTHER, - I don't think the water of Bristol would have done you much good; but exercise and change of air would do. I do not know Dr. Davison [See letter of October 13 to Valton.]; but I've seen (maybe three times) more patients than him. And I know many who have died from swallowing large amounts of powdered wood. Beware of this, and you can live and do good.

I will have no objection to Mr. Taylor if he does not baptize infants; but I dare not suffer this. I shall soon be obliged to dismiss all preachers who do not abandon this. Christ sent them not to baptize, but to preach the gospel. [See letters of May 19, 1783 and March 4, 1784 (to Percival).] I wonder if any of them are so cruel as to try, knowing what I feel. We have already heard it twice from Dr. Coke. They all work well. - I'm

Your affectionate friend and brother. [40]

 

What means of recovery did you use and with what effect?

 

You only tell me in general that your health is getting worse; But you don't say in what way or from what cause. When did you start to feel any decline in health? How was it affected? Which I imagined was due to How have you been since then. What means of recovery did you use and with what effect?

 

To Martha Chapman

WORCESTER, March 15, 1775.

MY DEAR SISTER,-- You only tell me in general that your health is getting worse; But you don't say in what way or from what cause. When did you start to feel any decline in health? How was it affected? Which I imagined was due to How have you been since then. What means of recovery did you use and with what effect? Write to me as specifically as possible on these points by addressing me in Dublin. It is our duty to take care of our bodily health; But what is it for a healthy mind? Let your mind be

Only praise, all meekness and all love.

And for the rest it is the same for everyone. "I am, dear Patty,

With affection. [41]

 

Air and exercise you must have

 

Air and exercise you must have; And if you use constant exercise with an exact regimen, it is not unlikely that you will be in vigorous health if you live to be thirty or four years old

 

For Miss Helena. March

SUNDERLAND, June 17, 1774.

I'm glad you think of me when you don't see me; I almost feared it would be different. Air and exercise you must have; And if you use constant exercise with an exact regimen, it is not unlikely that you will be in vigorous health if you live to be thirty or four. Around this time, the constitution of both men and women often takes a full turn. Right now, you're in your shoes, and you don't have to worry about the next day.

Praying so much for those we love is undoubtedly the fruit of affection, but an affection that pleases God well and is wrought in us by His own Spirit. Therefore it is certain that the intercession which arises from this affection is in accordance with the will of God.

That's an extremely good question. 'So far as we can desire the approval of good men' I do not think it can be proved that such a desire is forbidden anywhere in the Scriptures. But it requires a very strong influence of the Holy Spirit to prevent it from becoming excessive.

Friendship is a kind of love; and it is, in its proper sense, a disinterested reciprocal love between two people. Wicked people seem, it seems, incapable of friendship. For 'he that does not fear God may love a friend.' Nor, indeed, is everyone who fears God capable of friendship. It requires a peculiar approach to the mind, without which it cannot exist. The properties of Christian friendship are the same as the properties of love; with those whom St. Paul describes so beautifully in the thirteenth chapter of the First Epistle to the Corinthians. And it produces, as occasions offer, every good word and work. Many have laid down the rules by which it should be regulated; but they should not be composed in a few lines. One is, 'Surrender everything to your friend except a good conscience toward God.'

No doubt there were instances of true friendship between Jews, yea, and between heathen, who were susceptible of it: but by no means were they wicked men; they were men fearing God and acting justly according to the administration under which they were. I consider wicked men, under any disposition, absolutely incapable of true friendship. By wicked men I mean openly profane men or men devoid of justice, mercy, and truth. There may be a shadow of friendship between them, whether they are of the same sex or of different sexes. But surely the substance is lacking; In all my experience, I have found no exception to this rule.

After a knowledge of thirty-four years, I myself cannot have freedom with Miss Helena. Johnson. But I don't know, but you can. In many respects, she judges with sincerity, although her natural understanding is not strong. That of Miss Helena. Newman is: the more you know her, the more you'll prove her spirit. The others you mentioned want a little more age and experience; Then they can make companions for you. [42]

 

I would like Dr. Hamilton to send me the receipt for the extraction of the opiate from the sow thistles

 

I would like Dr. Hamilton to send me the receipt for the extraction of the opiate from the sow thistles and give me some account of its effects

 

To Joseph Benson

BRISTOL, September 18, 1774.

DEAR JOSEPH,-- Your last proposal is incomparably the best: I fully approve of it. Without consulting any in Dunbar (which would only leave the cause confused), immediately start putting it into practice. Let the preacher go to Ormiston on Wednesday, Dunbar on Thursday, and return to Edinburgh by Linton on Friday, every week. Today, we satiate them with preaching. It will be better to keep a horse; Then both your health and your soul will prosper.

If William Eels finally crawls in, send him directly to Aberdeen. And you should be getting ready to change clothes with John Bredin.

I would like Dr. Hamilton to send me the receipt for the extraction of the opiate from the sow thistles, and give me some account of its effects.--I am, dear Joseph,

His always affectionate friend and brother.

PS.--I left ninety members in the Society; I hope they are no less now (...).[43]

Note: "Thistle opiate" or "holy thistle/chicalilot" (Argemone mexicana) refers to the milky latex of the plant, which contains alkaloids with depressant and analgesic properties similar to poppy opioids" (Google AI Mode Overview).

 

You just need a proper diet, exact regularity, and constant exercise

 

That he sleeps as soon as possible; never later than ten, to wake up as early as health allows. To have a good spirit, so called, or the other way around, depends a lot on it. I believe that the drugs will not do you much good: you just need a proper diet, exact regularity and constant exercise, with God's blessing.

 

To Lady Maxwell

KILKENNY, July 5, 1765.

MY DEAREST MALADY,-- As yours was sent from Dublin to Cork, and then back here, I only received it yesterday. Now I am turning my face again to England; but I hope to stay in Dublin till the beginning of next month, and then cross, to be in Manchester (God willing) about the middle of August. Whether in Dublin or Manchester, I hope to have the pleasure of hearing from you. It is indeed a pleasure, as it is, to write to you; though sometimes I do it out of fear—afraid of not causing you pain, for I know the tenderness of your spirit. I wish I could be of service to you; that I might encourage you to cast yourself upon Him who loves you, who now hopes to pour out His peace in your heart, to give you an entrance into the most sacred by His blood. See Him, see Him! full of grace and truth! full of grace and truth to you! I do not doubt that He is gradually working in you; But I want you to experience an instant job as well. Then the gradual process will continue rapidly. Lord, speak! Your servant hears! Saith thou: 'Be the light'; and there will be light, Now let it spring up in your heart!

It may be He who does everything well has wise reasons, though not apparent to us, to work on you more gradually than he has done in recent years on most others. It may please Him to give you the consciousness of His favor, the conviction that you are accepted through the Beloved, in almost unfeeling degrees, like the dawn of day. And everything is one way as it began, so you do it, but you walk in the light. Whether this is given instantly or gradually, hold on tight. Christ is his; He loved you; He gave himself for you. Therefore, they will be holy just as He is holy, both in heart and in all conversation.

Allow me, my dear friend, to add a word about your bodily health. Either way, you should give yourself all the air and exercise you can. And I must advise you (even if the long customization has made it difficult, if it were the case) to sleep as soon as possible; never later than ten, to wake up as early as health allows. To have a good spirit, so called, or the other way around, depends a lot on it. I believe that the drugs will not do you much good: you just need a proper diet, exact regularity and constant exercise, with God's blessing.

Your speech or writing has never been tiring to me until now; and I am convinced that it never will be. Your letters are more and more agreeable with, my dear Lady, Your most affectionate servant. [44]

 

Cover the wound with white paper wet with saliva

 

If you had covered the wound with white paper wet with saliva, it would have stuck until you were fine. 'Maybe I still can. But if not, the coal poultice will cure you in a few days.

 

To your niece Sarah Wesley

LONDON, July 13, 1790.

MY DEAR SALLY, -- As my friends would not accept refusals, I took two or three days to see them, only adding a hundred and fifty miles to my journey. If my life extends until October, I hope we will meet then. If not, we'll find ourselves in a better place. It is remarkable that you are in this gentleman's house. I don't remember seeing him just once. It was when I was at Temple Church, and he laughed and did sports most of the time. [Mr. L-----. See the July 31 letter to her.]

If you had covered the wound with white paper wet with saliva, it would have stuck until you were fine. 'Maybe I still can. But if not, the coal poultice will cure you in a few days. Throw common coal into the fire; sift it through a sieve; mix this powder with warm water; Place this poultice, half an inch thick, on a linen between the wound, changing every twenty-four hours. But you will need patience. -- I am, my dear Sally,

With all the affection. [45]

Note: "In the eighteenth century, in England, using paper wet with saliva in cuts was a popular home remedy. People thought that saliva had healing power and that paper served as a cheap protection. Today we know that this causes serious infections, as the mouth has a lot of bacteria and the paper is not sterile" (Google AI Mode Overview).

 

 

 

 

 



[1] Overview of Google's AI mode

[2] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1778/

[3] Overview of Google's AI mode

[4] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[5] Overview of Google's AI mode

[6] Overview of Google's AI mode

[7] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[8] Overview of Google's AI mode

[9] Overview of Google's AI mode

[10] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1762/

[11] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[12] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1767/

[13] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1788a/

[14] Overview of Google's AI mode

[15] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/

[16] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1765/

[17] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[18] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1764/

[19] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1762/

[20] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1778/

[21] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1785/

[22] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[23] https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onça_(volume)#Ver_também

[24] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1748/

[25] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[26] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1788/

[27] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1767/  

[28] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1769/

[29] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1780b/

[30] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790b/

[31] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1778/

[32] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1788a/

[33] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1768/

[34] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1788a/

[35] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1788/

[36] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1769/

[37] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/

[38] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1781/

[39] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1780/

[40] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1784/

[41] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[42] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-17747/

[43] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1774/

[44] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1765/

 

 

[45] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/

Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas deste blog