Wesley's mentorship
with a young, insecure Anglican clergyman
Wesley's Letters to
Samuel Furly
Odilon
Massolar Chaves
Copyright
© 2026, Odilon Massolar Chaves
All rights
reserved to the author.
It is
allowed to read, copy and share for free.
Article
184 of the Penal Code and Law 96710 of February 19, 1998.
Books
published in the Wesleyan Digital Library: 871
Books
published by the author: 911
Cover:https://www.facebook.com/tradicaoanglicana/photos/as-vestimentas-oficial-para-a-ministração-do-sacramento-da-ceia-do-senhor-batin/307188636535593/-
Illustration
Odilon
Massolar Chaves is a retired Methodist pastor, with a doctorate in Theology and
History from the Methodist University of São Paulo.
Son of
Rev. Adherico Ribeiro Chaves and Roza Massolar Chaves.
He is
married to RoseMary.
He has two
daughters: Liliana and Luciana.
His thesis
dealt with the Methodist revival in England in the eighteenth century and its
contribution as a paradigm for our days.
Table of Contents
·
Introduction
·
Who was Samuel Furly
·
Main Themes of the Letters
· But that can't be done in Cambridge
· Omit nothing that I regard by experience as profitable
to my soul
· The main point now is to improve your time in
particular
· And this type is the majority of academic exercises
· The General Rule for Interpreting Scripture
·
You're sick from two diseases
· If you have enough common sense or religion to stay
close to college
· A simple sign that He will not withhold anything good
from you
· Break the stubbornness of your will and destroy your
pride of understanding
· In the sermon on Justification by Faith my sentiments
are expressed at length
· Do not expect happiness from any creature
· I hope you are also very committed to saving your own
soul
· You need to have a heart full of grace
·
An independent minister
· Right now you are exactly where you should be, and how
you should be
· Caring for a parish is really heavy
· These are the happiest and holiest people in the
kingdom
· To say that 'poor people understand long sentences
better than short ones' is a total mistake
· Visiting the poor from house to house and distributing
booklets
·
A Misconception About Christian Perfection
· They can be a means of awakening it again
· I didn't mention any particular book
· But the issue is not as clear as it seems to you
· Leave aside the terms 'Adamic law, 'gospel law'
· I'm glad they followed the advice that was given at
the time
· I hope that we have effectively provided against this
malignant disease
· You are a Christian minister, speaking and writing to
save souls
· Dolly Furly was in considerably better health
· But ensure this in everything and above all
· So far I can go with you, but no further
· Just tell me what you'd like most
· Do you begin to see the fruit of your labor, and does
your own soul prosper?
·
I did everything I could
· Beware of the impetuosity of your temper
·
I hope you're still pushing
============================
Introduction
"Wesley's Mentoring with a Young and
Insecure Anglican Clergyman" is a 60-page book based on Wesley's letters
to Samuel Furly.
Samuel Furly "studied at Cambridge
University, where he connected with evangelical leaders of the time. He then
served as pastor in English parishes such as Lakenheath and later in
Roche." [1]
Wesley maintained a long correspondence with Samuel Furly and with his sister Dorothy Furly, who married John Downes, one of John Wesley's first itinerant lay preachers and later his printer.
From the period of academic training at the University of Cambridge, Wesley maintained a long correspondence with Samuel Furly, who graduated and served with the Anglican clergyman.
"The Methodist leader helped the insecure young clergyman deal with controversies and interpretations of Scripture, keeping him grounded in the Anglican tradition and spiritual quest." [2]
In 1754, Wesley answered him and recommended some books: "As to your studies, I know of no better method than to make the printed work Ruins of Kingswood School and read all the authors mentioned in the same order in which they appear."[3]
Wesley taught him about the basics of the Christian life: how to study the Bible, how to pray, about the real doctrine of Christian perfection, etc.
Sometimes Wesley had to be Samuel Furly, whom
he also called Sammy. On January 25, 1762, Wesley told him, "Sammy, beware
of the impetuosity of your temper! This can easily lead you astray." [4]
On March 14, 1756, Wesley
wrote to him and said, "DEAR SAMMY, -- You are sick of two diseases."
[5] On February 11, 1757,
Wesley also told him, "Perhaps God sees the good in taking this course to
break the stubbornness of his will and destroy his pride of
understanding." [6]
In one of his last letters, on January 14, 1764, to Samnuel Furly,
Wesley told him, "I hope you are still pressing and counting all the
losses for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ." [7]
The Author
============================
Who was
Samuel Furly
Samuel
Furly was an Anglican clergyman and one of Wesley's closest correspondents
and disciples during the Methodist revival in the eighteenth century.
"Formation and Ministry: He studied at the University of Cambridge, where he connected with evangelical leaders of the time. He then served as pastor in English parishes such as Lakenheath and later in Roche." [8]
To Samuel Furly, on March 30, 1754, Wesley said, "I received your letter, and rejoiced to find that you are still determined to be saved by the grace of God from this wicked generation. But that can't be done at Cambridge (I speak from experience) unless you can make and keep a resolution—to have no acquaintances other than God-fearing." [9]
"Theological Orientation:
Correspondence between them shows Wesley advising Furly on the correct
interpretation of Scripture and the concept of Christian perfection." [10]
To Samuel Furly, on May 10, 1755, Wesley explained: The general rule for interpreting the Scriptures is this: the literal sense of every text is to be taken, provided it is not contrary to some other texts; but, in that case, the obscure text must be interpreted by those who speak more clearly." [11]
"Preaching Counsels: Wesley used to warn
Furly—who was very gifted and learned—to put aside far-fetched discourses and
use simple language accessible to the common people." [12]
On July 15, 1764, Wesley wrote to him and said, "But it is not the case: you are a Christian minister, speaking and writing to save souls. Keep that end always in your eye, and you will never use a difficult word on purpose. Use all the wits, learning, and fire you have; forgetting himself, and remembering only these are the souls for which Christ died; heirs of a happy or miserable eternity". [13]
Main
Themes of the Letters
John Wesley's letters to Samuel Furly were
written between the 1750s and 1760s.
They dealt in particular with the following topics:
"Doctrine and Theology: Wesley debated doctrinal points, the nature of grace, Christian perfection, and biblical interpretations (such as commentaries on St. Peter's epistles and prophecies)." [14]
To Samuel Furly, on March 10, 1763, Wesley wrote, "A notion has lately arisen in London, originally borrowed from the Moravians, which surpasses my notions of perfection as belonging only to the fathers in Christ." [15]
"Spiritual Life and Holiness: In these letters, Wesley exhorted Furly to pursue holiness and spiritual revival. One of his most famous quotes about the purpose of life ("The first priority of my life is to be holy...") came from a letter addressed to Furly in May 1755." [16]
On December 7, 1754, Wesley wrote to him and said, "The main point now is to improve your time in private, to keep the dose of God in prayer, and to fix your eye on him in all that you do. Then the anointing of the Holy One will teach you of all things." [17]
Soul-saving advice: Wesley gave him practical advice for living a life of holiness and having a ministry with a purpose: to save souls.
To Samuel Furly, on July 28, 1758, Wesley recommended, "I hope you are also very much engaged in saving your own soul, as well as those who hear you. You need to pray hard for steadfastness of spirit and seriousness in conversation." [18]
But that can't be
done in Cambridge
For Samuel
Furly
BRISTOL,
March 30, 1754.
DEAR LORD, -- I
received your letter, and rejoiced to find that you are still determined to be
saved by the grace of God from this wicked generation. But that can't be done
at Cambridge (I speak from experience) unless you can make and keep a
resolution—to have no acquaintances but to fear God. I know it may take some
time before you find someone who truly carries that character. If this is the
case, it is best to be alone until that happens, and to talk only to your
absent friends by letter. [See next letter.] But if you let yourself be carried
away by the flow into frequent conversations with harmless, good-natured, and
honest insignificant, they will soon steal all your strength and choke out all
the grace of God in your soul.
As to your studies, I
know of no better method than to make the printed work Ruins of Kingswood
School, [Printed in 1749. See Green's Bibliography, no. 127.] and read all the
authors mentioned in the same order in which they appear. The authors established
for those in the school that you would probably read in about twelve months,
and for those who would later name in one or two more years; And it will not be
lost labor. I suppose you should wake up by five o'clock, set aside an hour in
the morning and another in the evening for private exercise, an hour before
dinner, and an hour in the afternoon for walking; and go to sleep between nine
and ten.
I commend Him who can
lead you through all dangers; And I am, dear sir,
His brother and
affectionate servant. [19]
Omit nothing that I
regard by experience as profitable to my soul
It is necessary for
me, if I would be rector's consciousness, not to omit anything which I regard
by experience as profitable to my soul. Therefore, if I find any particular
preacher so profitable, or any particular acquaintance, it is necessary that I
use them. Otherwise, my conscience would not be at ease
For Samuel Furly
BRISTOL, September
21, 1754.
MY DEAR BROTHER, --
It is necessary for me, if I would have a rector's conscience, to omit nothing
which I regard by experience as profitable to my soul. Therefore, if I find any
particular preacher so profitable, or any particular acquaintance, it is necessary
that I use them. Otherwise, my conscience would not be at ease. If this is the
case for you, you cannot innocently neglect any of the few opportunities that
remain. When you're in Cambridge, you can't enjoy them even if you wanted to.
Therefore, a few known ones will be the best. And probably these you will not
find, but make profitable. Until then, the less you talk (except to God), the
better. --I am
Your affectionate
brother. [20]
The main point now is
to improve your time in particular
For Samuel Furly
LONDON, December 7,
1754.
MY DEAR BROTHER, --
For the present it does not seem necessary for you to enter into any dispute
with your teacher. [See letter of February 19, 1755.] But perhaps he would read
a little pamphlet; suppose, The Nature and Design of Christianity. [Wesley's summary
of the first chapter of William Law's Practical Treatise on Christian
Perfection (1740, 19 pp.). See Green's Bibliography, no. 17.] If at any time he
was touched by what he reads, then it would be a suitable time to speak.
I would not advise in
any way to enter into such a thing as teaching or exhorting a company of
people. If any poor sick villager wants your help, you need not hesitate to
visit him. But beyond that, it seems that you are not called to go at the
moment.
Your affectionate
brother. [21]
And this
type is the majority of academic exercises
For Samuel Furly
LONDON, March 20,
1755.
MY DEAR BROTHER, --
Of those things that are lawful in themselves, only those that are lawful are
lawful, that lead directly or indirectly to my holiness or usefulness. Many
things are not directly suitable for either, but can be as far apart as
language learning or arithmetic. And this type is the majority of academic
exercises. They contribute remotely (a Hough not directly) to our usefulness in
the world; by enabling us to obtain degrees or do other things that are (in the
present state of things) necessary as means to higher ends. I wish Mr. Hallifax
[Written with an l by Wesley.] had a little passage from Bishop Bull [Wesley
treats in more detail of this little treatise (which he says 'was very useful
to me'] in the letter of May 13, 1764. For his reference to Bishop Bull, see
Journal, ii. 470, 473-7d; Works, vii. 455; and letter of August 22, 1744.]
entitled A Companion for Candidates for Holy Orders.
I dreamed a strange
dream last night, in which twenty-five people from Peterhouse, Cambridge, were
soundly awake. Fight to open! -- I am
Your affectionate
brother. [22]
The General Rule for
Interpreting Scripture
The general rule for
interpreting Scripture is this: the literal sense of every text is to be taken,
provided it is not contrary to some other texts; But in that case, the obscure
text must be interpreted by those who speak more clearly.
For Samuel Furly
LEEDS, May 10, 1755.
MY DEAR BROTHER, --
We are to become all things to all men, as far as the Word of God permits. But
we cannot, by this principle, diverge one bit from the written rule. Therefore
I dare not play with any, because the Word of God expressly forbids it. But I
can talk about indirectly useful subjects, such as languages or philosophical
points. That young man was literally commanded to sell everything; he could not
escape greed otherwise. But we are not obliged to do that. Let any man show
otherwise, if he can. The general rule for interpreting Scripture is this: the
literal sense of every text is to be taken, provided it is not contrary to some
other texts; But in that case, the obscure text must be interpreted by those
who speak more clearly. If any one would have you walk faster than your
strength allows, you have no permission from God to do it. If someone wants you
to go farther when you are tired, you must want him to let you ride or to walk
with you. Be instant in prayer.
Your affectionate
brother.
Letters sent to the
Foundry will meet me wherever I am. [23]
You're sick from two diseases
You are sick with two
diseases: that affection for a poor silly worm like you, which only absence (by
the grace of God) will cure, and that malignant disease of which Marcus
Antoninus complains—that of .
For Samuel Furly
KINGSWOOD, March 14, 1756.
DEAR SAMMY, -- You are sick
with two diseases: that affection for a poor silly worm like you, which absence
alone (by the grace of God) will cure [See letters of February 21 and April
16.]; and that malignant disease of which Marcus Antoninus complains — that of
. ['Thirst for books', Meditations II. section 3. See letter of November 30,
1770.] That you are much lost in the latter case is clearly shown by the fact
that you do not love and admire that masterpiece of reason and religion, the
Reflections on the Conduct of Human Life, with Regard to Knowledge and
Learning, [Excerpts from a work by John Norris, published by Wesley in 1734,
12mo 36 pp. published in 1755, it brings
'A Scheme of Books Adequate to Previous Reflections'. Wesley alludes to page 33
of the passage: 'Now I intend to follow the advice of the pagans (Marcus
Antoninus), as I remember tda' ("Get rid of the thirst for books");
and to study nothing but that which serves the advancement of godliness and a
good life.' See letters of April 16, 1756, and September 28, 1745, section 21.]
each paragraph must remain unshaken (with or without the Bible) until we are no
longer mortal.
If your book in French is
The Art of Thinking, the author is a very bad tool. But there is none like
Aldrich. [Henry Aldrich (1647-1710), Dean of Christ Church, Oxford, 1689. See
Diary III. 391, 459.] I hardly know a Latin writer who says so much in so few
words. I certainly won't write much about Metaphysics or Natural Philosophy. My
life is too worn out. But if you can tell me anything (not full of math) that
is worth summarizing, well.
Hutcheson's compendium is
entitled Synopsis Metaphysicae Ontologiam et Pneumatologiam complectens. It's
something masterful. I believe that there is as yet nothing existing in Natural
Philosophy as the summary of the Philosophical Transactions. But an
abbreviation of this summary would be much better.
Fight, Sammy, fight. If you
do not conquer soon, probably God can send a French army [See March 1 letter to
James West.] to help you. -- I am
With affection. [24]
Note:
"The chronic illness of
which the Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius (Marcus Antoninus) complained most was
stomach disease (gastric ulcer or chronic gastritis), often accompanied by
severe chest pain, insomnia and respiratory problems."[25]
If you have enough common sense or religion
to stay close to college
For Samuel Furly
DUBLIN, Good Friday, April
16, 1756.
How are you going to town
You're crazy, looking crazy You're going to jump into the fire with your eyes
open [See letters from March 14 and November 20.] Stay off top. What else do
you have to do? Fly for your life, for your salvation. If you thus tempt the
Spirit of God a little longer, who knows what the consequence may be, I would
not be surprised to learn that you have been admitted to St. Luke's Hospital;
And then, goodbye study! Farewell to all hope, whether of intellectual or moral
improvement; for after this poor machine has suffered a shock of this kind, it
is never so capable of thinking with intensity.
There is no disagreement
between the Reflections and the Address to the Clergy. I have followed Mr.
Norris's counsel these thirty years, [He read Norris on Christian Prudence to
Mrs. Moore during the trip to Georgia (Diary, i. 125-6). For an Address to the
Clergy, see letter of January 7.] and so it must be with every man who is well
in his senses. But whether you study more or less does not mean a point of
reference. You're taking on all these efforts on a sinking ship. Stop the leak,
stop the leak, the first thing you do; Or what it means to adorn the ship
As to the qualifications of
a minister of the gospel—grace is necessary; Learning is fast. Grace and
supernatural gifts are ninety-nine parts out of a hundred. The learning
acquired can then have its place. -- I am, dear Sammy, [26]
A simple sign that He will
not withhold anything good from you
Just at the time when you
decided to leave your insignificant companion, God gave you a serious case: a
simple sign that He will not deny you anything good if you still turn to Him
For Samuel Furly
LONDON, November 20, 1756.
MY DEAR BROTHER, -- Just at
the time when you decided to leave your insignificant companion, God gave you a
serious case [See letters of April 16, 1756 and March 7, 1758]: a simple sign
that He will not deny you anything good, if you still turn to Him. Do you now
feel your mind turned off and free? You can say, Delco dehinc omnes ex animo
mulieres ['From now on I erase all women from my mind.'] If so, stand firm in
the freedom with which Christ has set you free. Be careful with the first
approach, observe and pray that you do not fall into temptation.
I hope that Mr. Drake [See
letters of September 25, 1755, and December 4, 1756.] is determined to have no
contact with any man who does not know God. Let him have judgment, learning,
and any other recommendation, but it will not stop costing; It is necessary to
be courteous to everyone. But this does not imply intimacy. He knows, and we
know, the value of time. See that you improve all parts
The least of these requires
serious care;
For, although small, they
are golden sands.
--I am
Your affectionate brother. [27]
Break the
stubbornness of your will and destroy your pride of understanding
Perhaps God sees the
good in taking this path to break the stubbornness of his will and destroy his pride
of understanding. Surely you are in the hands of Him who loves you, and who
will speedily set you free, if you persevere in waiting for Him and in
rejecting all comfort except that which flows from the Spirit of adoption,
crying out in your heart, Father Abba!
For
Samuel Furly
LONDON,
February 11, 1757.
The
times and seasons of continued comfort and all the other blessings of tongue
which the Father has in store in His own power. And there may be many wise
reasons, unknown to us (who are of yesterday and know nothing) why He does not
answer every prayer as soon as we offer it. In fact, a very common reason is
that sin is at the door—perhaps the sin of omission, not following the light,
not using the power we have. I don't know that this is your sign. Perhaps God
sees the good in taking this path to break the stubbornness of his will and
destroy his pride of understanding. Surely you are in the hands of Him who
loves you, and who will speedily set you free, if you persevere in waiting for
Him and in rejecting all comfort except that which flows from the Spirit of
adoption, crying out in your heart, Father Abba!
To
the Rev. S. Furly, Kippax. [28]
In the sermon on
Justification by Faith my sentiments are expressed at length
For
Samuel Furly
KINGSWOOD,
October 14, 1757.
DEAR
SAMMY, -- In the sermon on Justification by Faith (in the first volume of
Sermons), my sentiments are expressed at large. Certainly there is no statement
in Scripture such as 'The righteousness of Christ is imputed to us.' Yet we
will not deny it if men only want to say that 'we are accepted for His merits'
or 'because of what He has done and suffered for us.' If they mean anything
more, we can't help but deny it. Mr. Hervey is a deep-rooted antinomian—that
is, a Calvinist consistent with himself (which Mr. Whitefield is not, nor is
Robert Bolton [Robert Bolton (1572-1631), a fellow of Braenose College and
rector of Broughton, Northants. Wesley included his Life in the Christian
Library (iv. 231-330), and also Instructions for Walking Comfortably with God,
which he read and explained to the morning congregation at the Foundation. See
Diary iv. 94; and letter of December 20, 1760.] nor any Calvinist who is not a
latitudinarian). But, in fact, ornatus est pro suis instratibus, ['He is
adorned by his own caparisons.'] by the Scottish writer [John Glass or Robert
Sandeman. See the next letter.] from the Letters of the Author of 'Theron and
Aspasio', a man of admirable sense and erudition, but Calvinist and antinomian
to the bone; as you may judge by your vehement anger against Mr. Emkin, [Dr.
John Erskine. See letter of April 24, 1755.] Cudworth, [See letter of November
29, 1758.] and Hervey for legality! -- I am
Your
affectionate brother. [29]
Do not expect happiness from any creature
O Sammy, be honest! Advance through temporal things!
Do not expect happiness from any creature! Here we are, whether by life or
death we do not know. But God knows, and that's enough
For Samuel Furly
DUBLIN, April 8, 1758.
DEAR SAMMY,-- I shall
most likely get your admission to the Orders with or without a title. [See
letters of September 25, 1757, and May 3, 1758.]
It is not strange
that anyone [See letter of March 7.] should stifle the first convictions; Nor
should that discourage you at all. Speak again. Be instant eukairws, [2 Tim.
iv. 2: 'In season, out of season.'] And over time you will see the effect.
Ten, maybe twenty
people, dissatisfied without knowing why, shout: 'Everyone is dissatisfied.'
Far from it. I wanted a little evil report to balance the good report.
O Sammy, be honest!
Advance through temporal things! Do not expect happiness from any creature!
Here we are, whether by life or death we do not know. But God knows, and that's
enough--I'm His affectionate brother. [30]
I hope you are also
very committed to saving your own soul
For Samuel
Furly
CORK, July
28, 1758.
DEAR SAMMY,-- Your
assumption is right. I never received the letter you speak of, nor did I hear
before that you were in Holy Orders. [See letter of May 3.] I hope that you are
also very committed to saving your own soul, as well as those who listen to you.
You need to pray hard for steadfastness of mind and seriousness in
conversation. If to this is added the ornament of a meek and silent spirit, his
words will not fall to the ground. There will be danger, if you write so much,
of writing dryly and formally. We can suffer losses by writing too little or
too much. Watch every step you take, walk cautiously, and God will be with
you.--I am your affectionate brother. We hope to set sail in three or four
days. [31]
You need to have a
heart full of grace
You must have a heart
full of grace, or you will have your hands full of work. Universal vigilance is
absolutely necessary for our victory over any evil. Whatever you do, do it with
your strength
For Samuel Furly
BRISTOL, September 2, 1758.
MY DEAR BROTHER,-- I
know of no way to heal curious men but to fill them with the love of God.
If the great majority
of those who attended Thursday's sermon were Methodists, I know not, but it was
right to put Mr. Charles in his place. Otherwise, it would be wrong; for he
that escapeth the sword of Jehu shall slay Elisha. Every preacher God has sent
will have a message for some souls that have not been reached by anyone else.
And the more people who attend his preaching, the better; the more room there
is for God to act.
I found Mr. Jones's
book, and I'm going to send it by Jemmy Morgan. [Evidently, books borrowed from
Mr. Jones and Mr. Holloway. Morgan came with Wesley from Ireland. See Diary,
iii. 335, 459; and letters of January 8, 1757 and April 26, 1760.] I shall probably
meet Mr. Holloway in a little while. I would like you to carefully read the
Instructions for Married Persons. [See Green's Bibliography, no. 163.] It is an
excellent pamphlet. You must have a heart full of grace, or you will have your
hands full of work. Universal vigilance is absolutely necessary for our victory
over any evil. Whatever you do, do it with your strength.--I am your
affectionate brother. [32]
An
independent minister
He is an independent
minister. Probably, if we live until another Conference, he may be in
connection with us. Until then, he acts as an independent. We do not have a
company in Renninghall
For Samuel Furly
LONDON, February 17, 1759.
,--James Kershaw was
one of Wesley's preachers from 1752 to 1757. He returned to the ranks of tile
and in 1765 is stationed at Yarm. See letters of March 1, 1762 and October 16,
1765 to Christopher Hopper.] He is an independent minister. Probably, if we
live until another Conference, he may be in connection with us. Until then, he
acts as an independent. We have no Society in Renninghall.
I accept John Pearse
[one of the first preachers. See Wesley II of Tyerman. 127.] to be an honest
man. As soon as he sees the truth, he will preach it. Dolly Furly was in
considerably better health before I came from Bristol. And she was all thirsty
for God. I think her soul thrives more and more.
I will wish Mr.
Gilbert [Nicholas Gilbert became itinerant in 1744 and died in 1763. See the
Diary, v. 10 n; and to the Christian Library, letter of August 14, 1748 to
Ebenezer Blackwell.] to see if the four volumes of the Library you mentioned
can be spared. And if they can, if they are not necessary for the composition
of the sets, they will be sent with the last Journal and the Pilgrim's
Progress.
It is very possible
that the day of grace ended before the day of life. But I believe that this
rarely happens. I observed closely, and found only one indisputable case in
thirty years.
Nancy [Probably his
young wife.] should give me credit for her letter a little more, as I am
currently very tight on time. On the 1st of March, I hope to be at Mr.
Berridge's, whence I shall depart for Colchester; so that you won't see me this
spring unless you come to Everton.--I am, dear Sammy, yours affectionately. [33]
Right now
you are exactly where you should be, and how you should be
Right now you are
exactly where you should be, and how you should be. It's very helpful to stay
in suspense. Nothing breaks our will more effectively. While you are staying,
do well to give all possible assistance to the Society.
For Samuel Furly
LONDON, November 21, 1759.
DEAR SAMMY,-- Right now you are exactly where
you should be, and how you should be. It's very helpful to stay in suspense.
Nothing breaks our will more effectively. While you are staying, do well to
give all possible assistance to the Society. They must still be weak and
undisciplined. They probably want you more than once a month. [See letter of
June 19, 1760.]
I do not doubt that Abraham was perfected in
love. But he was more under evangelical than legal dispensation. And no one can
doubt that all Jewish believers were perfected before they died. But I see no
reason to think that many of them were perfected long before they died. The
Holy Spirit was not fully given before Jesus was glorified. Therefore, the law
(unless in a few cases exempt) has not perfected anything. It is true that the
word 'perfect' in the Old Testament carries several meanings. But we do not
give any emphasis to the word. The point is pure love. The promise of this was
made by Moses, but it was not intended to be fulfilled much later. See
Deuteronomy xxx. 1-6. From the tone of the words, it appears that it was then,
when He gathered the Jews of all nations, that God thus caused them to be
circumcised However, it can be accomplished in you and me. Let's hurry toward
it! With love for Nancy, I am Her affectionate friend and brother. To the Rev.
Mr. Furly, at Kippax, near the Ferry Bridge, Yorks. [34]
Caring for a parish
is really heavy
For Samuel Furly
LONDON, January 25, 1762.
DEAR SAMMY,-- But
that I almost reached happiness nil admirari, I would have wondered a little
with your long silence. But it's not strange, if 'Time Changes Thought', and it
wouldn't surprise me too much if, in a year or two, you wondered about the strange
man's face as one you've never met. If you got involved without any kind of
promise to the Archbishop, I doubt that your ordination is a blessing. [Wesley
hoped that he would be ordained as Fletcher's curator. See letter of December
9, 1760.] Caring for a parish is really something heavy, which requires a lot
of sincere prayer. To manage it, you must follow your own conscience, whether
you are satisfied or displeased. So, whether your success is minor or major,
you will eventually give up your account with joy.
I myself often hear
unscriptural and unreasonable expressions from those at whose feet I shall
rejoice to be found on the day of the Lord Jesus; but I have never heard
blasphemy from any of them, neither teacher nor listener. What is ample from
Scripture or reason, I lightly rebuke; and they usually receive it with love.
Usually, they are convinced; when I cannot convince them, I can endure them,
yes, and rejoice in the grace of God that is in them.
Sammy, beware of the
impetuosity of your temper! This can easily lead you astray. This can make you
evil to the best beings in the world. Do not expect the correction of speech
from uneducated people. The longer I live, the greater the concessions I make
to human infirmities. I demand more from myself and less from others. [A
beautiful sign of softening character.] Go and do the same--I am, with love to
Nancy, your ever-affectionate friend and brother. Not to accept anything,
absolutely nothing, second-hand. [35]
These are the
happiest and holiest people in the kingdom
Here's a simple fact.
You can contest, reason, complain about it, for as long as you want. In the
meantime, I know from every kind of proof that these are the happiest and holiest
people in the kingdom. Their light shines before men. They are zealous in good
works and work to abstain from every appearance of evil. They have the mind
that was in Christ, and they walk just as Christ also walked.
For Samuel Furly
DUBLIN, July 30,
1762.
DEAR SAMMY,--'If I am
not answered, then I am not responsible.' Who can deny the consequence With
such an argument you carry everything in front of you and win a complete
victory. You reminded me of the honest man who cried out as I preached, 'Quid
est tibi nomen,' and, when he answered nothing, shouted vehemently, 'I told you
he didn't understand Latin!'
Sometimes I
understand, although I don't answer. This happens often between you and me. You
love squabbling [See the September 15 letter to him.] You have a lot of time,
and I have a lot of work. No sumus ergo pares. But if you disagree with
Nicholas Norton, he's your equal. He has both leisure and love for work.
For me, I will only
expose the case one more time. Here are forty or fifty people who declare (and
I can believe their words, for I know them well), each for himself: 'God has
permitted me to rejoice for ever, and to pray and give thanks without ceasing.
He allowed me to give Him my whole heart, which I believe He cleansed from all
sin. I feel no pride, no anger, no desire, no unbelief, but pure love alone.' I
ask, 'So you believe you no longer need Christ or His atoning blood?' Everyone
answers, 'I have never felt my desire for Christ so deeply and intensely as I
do now. I feel the desire of Christ, my Priest, as well as of the King, and I
receive all that I have in him and through him. At every moment I want the
merit of his death, and I have it at every moment.'
But you think, 'They
cannot want the merit of Your death if they are saved from sin.' They think
differently. They know and feel otherwise, whether they can explain it or not.
There is not one, neither in this city nor in this kingdom, who does not agree
with this.
And I will cease to
rejoice for these holy and happy men because they err in their judgment. If you
do, I wish you, I, and all mankind were under the same error; as long as we had
the same faith, the same love, and the same holiness within and without--I am,
dear Sammy, Yours with dearly. He will not meet us in Leeds on August 10 [The
Conference met there on that date.] [36]
To say
that 'poor people understand long sentences better than short ones' is a total
mistake
To say
that 'poor people understand long sentences better than
short ones' is a total mistake. I have carefully tried the experiment for
thirty years, and I think the opposite is true. Long sentences completely
confuse your intellects
For Samuel Furly
YARMOUTH, October II, 1764.
DEAR SAMMY,--I delayed
writing so long, [See letter of July 15.] because I was not inclined to attract
controversy, especially on a subject of little importance and with a person
difficult to be convinced. I just told you my thoughts about style and yourself.
If you can profit from them, well; If not, there is no harm at all. I wish you
would write in the most excellent way; If you prefer any other, you can. I have
no prejudice for or against any writer: but I can say, without much vanity,
that I know how to distinguish a good style from a bad one; and it would be a
pity if I did not do so, after having spent forty-fifteen years (with some
natural understanding, much attention, and a free acquaintance of many eminent
men) reading the most celebrated writers of the English language.
Noting that you wanted one
of the essential things for good style, namely ease, I warned you about it and
(to make it clearer the reason for my caution) I raised my head a little. You
answer, 'Harmony is essential to good style.' It may be so; I have nothing to
say to the contrary. In the same lines I have quoted there is an admirable
harmony; nihil supra; The soul of music breathes in them: but there is no
rigidity. The lines are as simple as they are harmonious. This is the
perfection of writing.
Whether long or short
periods should be chosen is quite another matter. Some of the ones you
transcribe from Swift are long; but they are also easy, totally easy, without
any rigidity, and therefore exactly as I recommend copying later. The
paragraphs quoted from Hawksworth are much inferior to them, not more
harmonious, but more rigid and artificial. Wharton's is the worst of all, stiff
as a stake, only art and no nature. I don't know what taste those who admire
his style can have; certainly they must prefer Statius to Virgil.
Nor are the tedious and
foolish enlightened or careless affected by long and laborious periods as much
as by such short periods as these, 'The work is great; The day is short; and
long is the night in which no man can work.'
But the main thing is: we
will all be alive for God. May Christ reign alone in our hearts; that every
mind that was in Christ Jesus may be in us; and let us walk as Christ also
walked. Peace be with you and yours -- I am your affectionate friend and brother.
[37]
Visiting
the poor from house to house and distributing booklets
You have
an incentive to continue in Slaithwaite, already seeing that your effort was
not in vain. I hope you will add the private to the public application,
visiting the poor from house to house and distributing booklets. Thus, only
this deplorable ignorance will be removed
For
Samuel Furly
LEWISHAM, March 6, 1764.
DEAR SAMMY,--After showing
what is implied in 'conquering the whole world' and what in 'losing our own soul,'
[See letter of January 14.] I ask: How is it possible that any man consents to
conquer the whole world at the cost of losing his own soul. How amazing it is
that any man alive would do that! But to assuage this astonishment, consider
the assumptions on which it proceeds: (1) that a life of sin is a life of
happiness; (2) that a religious life is a life of misery; and (3) that he
certainly lives twenty, forty, or sixty years. In the second of these articles,
you have a good opportunity to describe both false and true religion.
For eight or ten weeks, Mr.
Maxfield is incapacitated by a persistent illness. This has contributed not a
little to the peace of our Society, which in general thinks of one thing—to
save their own souls and seldom strike first, though they sometimes strike
again, especially when they are attacked without fear or intelligence, which
has generally been the case.
I doubt
you ever had a silly tutor at Cambridge, and then got it wrong. He never told
her that, of all living men, a clergyman should 'speak with the vulgar,' yes,
and write, imitating the language of the common people throughout all time, so
far as it consists in purity and propriety of speech [See letter of January
14.] Ease, therefore, is the first, second, and third points; and rigidity,
apparent exactness, artificiality of style are the principal defects to be
avoided, along with solecism and impropriety. You aim wrong, Sammy: you aim at
the wrong target. If he were a pattern for any one (which I cannot permit),
still Dr. Middleton [See letter of January 4, 1749.] is not a pattern for a
preacher—no, not for a preacher before the University. His diction is rigid,
formal, affected, unnatural. Art stares with anger and therefore shocks a man
of true taste. To always speak or write as he would be as absurd as to always
walk in step minuet. The natural walk, walks calmly, just not carelessly. Do
not stumble or drag yourself into improprieties. If you want to imitate,
imitate Mr. Addison or Dr. Swift. That way you will save yourself trouble and
do more good.--I am, with love to Nancy, dear Sammy, your ever-affectionate
brother. [38]
I hope
you're still pushing
For Samuel Furly
LONDON, January 14,
1764.
MY DEAR BROTHER,-- I
will never think much about paying a letter from you. We are all here now in
great peace; and God is both enlarging and deepening His work.
In this text, I
usually consider (1) what is implied in 'conquering the whole world'; (2) what
happens in losing the souls of men themselves; and show (3) how unfair it would
be to gain an entire world at that price. [See sermon on The Important Question
in the Works, vi. 493-505; and letter of March 6.]
I hope you are still
pressing and counting all the losses for the excellence of the knowledge of
Christ. "I'm your affectionate brother." [39]
A
Misconception About Christian Perfection
For Samuel Furly
NORWICH, March 10, 1763.
DEAR
SAMMY, "When we reviewed the notes on St. Peter, all our brethren were of
the same opinion as you. So we put Charles' criticism aside and left the note
as it was.
I
haven't read Dr. Newton on the Prophecies. But the basic text of the Revelation
at the time I first read it satisfied me with the general doctrine of the
Millennium. [See letters of December 20, 1762, and March 27, 1764.] But of the
details I am willfully ignorant, since they are not revealed.
I
hardly regretted saying little, but often saying too much. To the Bishop I have
said more than I usually say, and I believe as much as the occasion requires.
But I spare him. If he answers, I will probably speak more directly, not more
broadly.
A
notion has recently arisen in London, originally borrowed from the Moravians,
which surpasses my notions of perfection as belonging only to the fathers in
Christ—namely, that every man is saved from all (internal) sin when he is
justified, and that there is no sin, nor anger, nor pride, nor other, in his
heart from that moment on, unless he loses justifying faith.
How
are you going to refute this position? In particular, by what New Testament
authority can you overthrow it? These questions have intrigued many poor and
ordinary people. I'd be happy with your response to them in general.
It
is doubtful whether I will be able to leave London this summer, unless once in
a while for a week or two. Next week I must go back there.—I am, dear Sammy,
With
affection. [40]
They
can be a means of awakening it again
Probably
some parts of Serious Calling or Christian Perfection can be a means of reawakening
it. But whether this would happen or not is very uncertain; for when a person
has once quenched the Spirit, we cannot be sure that God will restore him again
For
Samuel Furly
LONDON,
November 26, 1756.
MY
DEAR BROTHER, -- You would do a little of meeting earlier in the evening -- at
seven, if not before; and begin the meeting with a close examination of each
other's progress the day before. I am afraid that an hour and a half is too
little. At Oxford we always met at six. You should also be on the lookout, to
see if you can add more to your number. Probably some parts of Serious Calling
or Christian Perfection can be a means of reawakening it. But whether this
would happen or not is very uncertain; for when a person has once quenched the
Spirit, we cannot be sure that God will restore him again. Yet no one would
spare pains in a case of such importance, and there are such cases of God's
patience that we cannot despair of any.
Lately,
I have been reading Mr. Hutchinson's Works. And the more I read, the less I
reproach them. I am fully convinced of one thing in particular, which I least
expected: he did not understand Hebrew; Not critically — no, not tolerable. I
truly believe that T. Walsh [See Wesley's Veterans, v. 68.] understands this
much better today than he did to the day of his death. Let's understand God's
love, and that's enough. -- I am
Your
affectionate brother. [41]
I
didn't mention any particular book
For
Samuel Furly
LONDON,
SNOWSFIELDS, December 4, 1756.
DEAR
SIR, -- I have not mentioned any particular book, because I could not think of
any that were particularly suitable. But either Mr. Allen's Alarm in the
Christian Library [Vol. xxiv. An Alarm for Unconverted Sinners, by Joseph
Allein.] or Vindiciae Pietatis can do well. I saw nothing wrong in his meeting
with Mr. Drake [See letters of November 20, 1756, and July 12, 1757.] but that
time was too short. [See previous letter.] You should read the most attentive
and profound books you can, and apply them honestly to each other's hearts.
As
for you, principlis obsta: the first look or thought! Don't play with fire —
no, not for a moment. So it can't hurt you.
Mr.
Drake must decide for himself how to converse with these gentlemen. If you feel
any pain because of this, you should abstain; if not, you can talk to them in
moderation—that is, if there is only a faint and distant prospect of doing them
any good.
I
have no receipts or proposal; Then they can be sent on my next one. I have
replied about one hundred and forty pages of John Taylor [See letter of June
18.]; but it cost me more than a hundred and twenty. Sammy, never play again!
-- I am
With
affection. [42]
But the issue is not
as clear as it seems to you
Your manner of
presenting your objection reminds me of your friend, Mr. Dodd. You speak ex
cathedra. But the issue is not as clear as it seems to you. However, it is a
point, though long considered, that is worth considering again and again. But
you must keep your belly firm until you see or hear your affectionate brother
again
To SamuelFurly
LONDON, February 25, 1760.
DEAR
SAMMY,--At the moment, I just have time to say that I hope to be in Leeds on
Tuesday 11th March. Your manner of presenting your objection reminds me of your
friend, Mr. Dodd. You speak ex cathedra. But the issue is not as clear as it
seems to you. However, it is a point, though long considered, that is worth
considering again and again. But you must keep your belly firm until you see or
hear your affectionate brother again. [43]
Leave aside the terms 'Adamic law, 'gospel law'
Leave aside the terms 'Adamic law', 'gospel law', or
any law. The issue is indisputable, and it is as if it could demand a biblical
proof that two plus two make four
To SamuelFurly
MOUNTMELLICK,
June 19, 1760.
DEAR
SAMMY,-- Surely you can't remove without giving Mr. Crook a quarter notice. If
you remove it, you don't have to worry about the payment, nor about those you
leave behind. Our preachers, when necessary, should give them a little more
time. [He had been helping the Methodists in the vicinity of their healing. See
the letters of November 21, 1759 and June 23, 1760. ] How easy it is to unravel
a cause, and to make a thousand plausible objections to any proposition that
may be adduced. This makes me quite presumptuous with human understanding and
human language. So confused is the clearest apprehension! So ambiguous are the
most determinate expressions!
Leave
aside the terms 'Adamic law', 'gospel law', or any law. The point is
indisputable, and it is as if it could demand a biblical proof that two plus
two make four. Adam in Paradise was able to comprehend all things distinctly,
and to judge truly upon them; therefore, it was his duty to do so. But no man
alive now is able to do this; therefore, it is also not the duty of any man
alive now. Nor is there man now in the body that does or can walk in this case
by the rule which was bound to Adam. Something may be clearer than this—which
Adam might, which I cannot help confounding—Something may be clearer than
this—If he could help it, he should, or else this—If I cannot, I must not mean
that it is not my duty: for the plain reason that no one can do the impossible.
Nothing in the Sermon or the Law contradicts this. If something does, it's
wrong.
Oh, what
work could be done in this kingdom if we had six zealous, active, punctual men!
Be you one.--I am, dear Sammy, your affectionate brother. [44]
I'm glad they
followed the advice that was given at the time
For Samuel
Furly
LAUNCESTON,
September 4, 1760.
DEAR
SAMMY,-- People in England, and in Ireland much more, tend to drift from north
to south.
Last May,
Mr. Archdeacon wanted to see me, of all the people of the world, and was ready
(as he sent me a message), not only to receive me in his church and home, but
to accompany me wherever I went. In July, he is completely different, because
he realized that I assume too much for myself. Either this is due (as I greatly
fear) to a false brother who, after eating my bread, privately raises his heel
against me, or has been struck in the heart by reading the Appeals and some of
our other writings, and now, with the help of the neighbouring clergy, has lost
this impression. That he received a cure before receiving his, I do not
believe. However, all is well. [Furly was apparently applying to the Archdeacon
for a curatorship. See letter of June 19.]
Most of
our preachers have almost stopped preaching on practical religion. This,
therefore, was strongly recommended to them at the London Conference. I'm glad
they followed the advice that was given at the time, which can be done without
ceasing to talk about justification. I choose to do this chiefly on Sundays,
and where there are the greatest number of unawakened hearers.
I thought
I had already sent the answer to these questions, that I sent a copy to the
printer in Bristol. But whether you have it or not, preach according to its
light, just as I preach according to mine.
I am now
entering Cornwall, which I have not visited for three years, and consequently
everything about it is out of order. [The day before, at Launceston, he had
found 'the little remains of a dead and scattered Society; and no wonder, for
they had little discipline and only one sermon in a fortnight.' The next day he
had a similar experience at Camelford; but the state of the other Societies
encouraged him. See the Diary, iv. 406.] Several people talk about sharing my
burden, but none do; so I must wear one first.--I am, dear Sammy, your
affectionate brother. [45]
I hope
that we have effectively provided against this malignant disease
I hope that we have effectually provided against that malignant disease which the scribendi cacoethes in our preachers, for we agree that no one will publish anything for the time being, until he has submitted it to the judgment of his brethren assembled in Conference
For
Samuel Furly
LONDON,
September 8, 1761.
DEAR
SAMMY,--I hope that we have effectually provided against that malignant disease
which scribendi cacoethes in our preachers, for we agree that no one will
publish anything for the time being, until he has submitted it to the judgment
of his brethren assembled in Conference.
That's a
really great passage you quote from Mr. Ridley. He is an excellent writer. I've
seen this text clarified before, but never so convincingly.
What all
our brethren think of this circumstance of total sanctification—that it is
instantaneous, though a gradual growth of grace both precedes and follows
it—you may see in the Minutes of the Conference, where it was freely discussed.
Any of the good old Puritans would not have been less surprised if they had
walked into one of our congregations, and heard us declare that God wills that
every man, without exception, should be saved.
O Sammy,
shake off the cacoethes disputandi and be a quiet, simple, loving Christian--I
am, with love to Nancy, your affectionate friend and brother. You seem to fear
receiving any wound from Mr. Venn. So I'm afraid he'll hurt you.
To the Rev. Mr. Furly,
in Kippax, near the Ferry Bridge, Yorks. [46]
You are a Christian
minister, speaking and writing to save souls
For Samuel Furly
LIVERPOOL, July 15,
1764.
DEAR
SAMMY,-- I have had many thoughts, since we parted, on the subject of our late
conversation. I send them as soon as they happen. 'What constitutes a good
style?' Perspicuity and purity, decorum, strength and ease, united at the same
time. When any of those are missing, it's not a good style. Dr. Middleton's
style demands lightness: it is rigid to a high degree. And rigidity in writing
is as great a defect as rigidity in behavior. It is a stain that is difficult
to be excused, much less to imitate. He is pedantic. 'It is pedantry,' says the
great Lord Boyle, 'to use a harsh word where an easier word serves.' Now, this
the Doctor does continuously, and the one with a definite purpose. It's
artificially too much. Artis est celare artem ['It is the perfection of art to
hide oneself.']; but his art notices every sentence. He says continually, 'See
how well I speak!' While a good speaker seems to forget that he speaks. Its
round, naturally full curls are reminiscent of Sir Cloudesley Shovel's peruke,
that 'eternal buckle of Parian stone.' [Pope's Moral Essays, iii. 295-6: 'That
lifelong wig which the Gorgon's self could possess, eternal buckle clings to
the stone of Pariah.'] However, that same failure may seem like a beauty to you
because you tend to stop on the same foot. There is a rigidity both in his
chariot and in his speech, and something of it in his own familiarity. But for
this reason you should be jealous of yourself and guard against your natural
infirmity. If you imitate any writer, let it be South, Atterbury, or Swift, in
whom all the qualities of a good writer are found. I myself was once much more
fond of Prior than I was of Pope; for I did not know then that rigidity was a
defect. But what in every Prior can equal, in beauty of style, some of the
first lines which the Pope [Elegy to the Memory of an Unhappy Lady.] has ever
published--
The poets
themselves must die, [Fall] like those who sang, Deaf the praised ear, and
silence the melodious tongue; While he whose heart now melts in tenderness
[Sad] lies, he will soon need the generous tear he pays. Then from their eyes
your beloved form [Closing your eyes your form] will be separated; And the last
pang will tear you out of his heart: The empty life of a single sigh will be
past, The Muse has forgotten, and you beloved [Be not loved] anymore. Here's
the style! How clear, how pure, how correct, how strong! And yet, how
incredibly easy! This crowns everything; without rigidity, without harsh words;
no apparent art, no affectation; everything is natural and therefore
consummately beautiful. Go and write as well.
As for me,
I never think about my style; But just put the words that come first. Only when
I transcribe something for the press, I think it is my duty to ensure that
every sentence is clear, pure and correct. Conciseness (which now, so to speak,
comes naturally to me) brings enough quantum strength. If, after all, I
perceive any rigid expression, I discard it, neck and shoulders.
Clarity,
in particular, is necessary for you and me, because we must instruct people
with the lowest understanding. Therefore we, above all, if we think with the
wise, must speak with the vulgar. We should constantly use the most common,
small, and easy words (so that they are pure and correct) that our language
allows. When I was a member of the University about ten years ago, I wrote and
spoke very much like what you do today. But when I talked to ordinary people in
the Castle or in the city, I observed that they were gaping and staring. This
quickly forced me to change my style and adopt the language of those I spoke
to. And yet there is a dignity in this simplicity, which is not distasteful to
those of higher rank.
I holy
counsel, Sammy, to refrain from reading any harsh writer. A spectator sees more
than those who play the game. His style is already badly bruised. In fact,
something could be said if you were an infidel scholar writing for money or
reputation. But that's not the case: you're a Christian minister, speaking and
writing to save souls. Keep that end always in your eye, and you will never use
a difficult word on purpose. Use all the wits, learning, and fire you have;
forgetting himself, and remembering only these are the souls for which Christ
died; heirs of a happy or miserable eternity--I am, with love for Nancy, your
affectionate friend and brother. The Rev. Mr. Furly, at the Rev. Mr. Venn's
house, in Huddersfield, Yorks. [47]
Dolly Furly was in considerably better health
I accept John Pearse [one of the first preachers to be an honest man. As
soon as he sees the truth, he will preach it. Dolly Furly was in considerably
better health before I came from Bristol. And she was all thirsty for God. I
think her soul thrives more and more
For Samuel Furly
LONDON, February 17,
1759.
,--James Kershaw was
one of Wesley's preachers from 1752 to 1757. He returned to the ranks of tile
and in 1765 is stationed at Yarm. See letters of March 1, 1762 and October 16,
1765 to Christopher Hopper.] He is an independent minister. Probably, if we
live until another Conference, he may be in connection with us. Until then, he
acts as an independent. We have no Society in Renninghall.
I accept John Pearse
[one of the first preachers. See Wesley II of Tyerman. 127.] to be an honest
man. As soon as he sees the truth, he will preach it. Dolly Furly was in
considerably better health before I came from Bristol. And she was all thirsty
for God. I think her soul thrives more and more.
I will wish Mr.
Gilbert [Nicholas Gilbert became itinerant in 1744 and died in 1763. See the
Diary, v. 10 n; and to the Christian Library, letter of August 14, 1748 to
Ebenezer Blackwell.] to see if the four volumes of the Library you mentioned
can be spared. And if they can, if they are not necessary for the composition
of the sets, they will be sent with the last Journal and the Pilgrim's
Progress.
It is very possible
that the day of grace ended before the day of life. But I believe that this
rarely happens. I observed closely, and found only one indisputable case in
thirty years.
Nancy [Probably his
young wife.] should give me credit for her letter a little more, as I am
currently very tight on time. On the 1st of March, I hope to be at Mr.
Berridge's, whence I shall depart for Colchester; so that you won't see me this
spring unless you come to Everton.--I am, dear Sammy, yours affectionately. [48]
But ensure this in everything and
above all
What good is all knowledge but
that which ministers to the knowledge of Christ, and which qualifies us to save
our own souls and the souls of those who hear us! The knowledge you have of
other things you retain; but ensure this in everything and above all
To SamuelFurly,
YARM, July 7, 1759.
DEAR SAMMY,-- Our
conference in Leeds begins on Wednesday 1st August. I hope to see you on that.
If you are in Yorkshire a few days before, we will have more time together.
Your current calling to Kippax is clear: when you are called further, this will
also become clear. What good is all knowledge but that which ministers to the
knowledge of Christ, and which qualifies us to save our own souls and the souls
of those who hear us! The knowledge you have of other things you retain; but
assure you of it in everything and above all.--I am, with love to Nancy, dear
Sammy, Yours dearly. To the Reverend Mr. Furly, at Lakenheath, near Brandon,
Suffolk. [49]
So far I can go with you, but no further
For Samuel
Furly
ST. IVES,
September 15, 1762.
DEAR SIR,-- Spectatum
satis, ac donatum jam rude quaeris, Maecenas, iterum antiquo me includere ludo
Non eadem est aetas, non mens. [Epistles of Horace,
1. i. 2-4: 'Therefore, Maecenas, thus involve thyself With Thy bard, dismissed
with honour from the stage Again to venture into the rolls of fame, His youth,
his genius, now no longer the same'] I have completely lost the taste for controversy.
[See the previous letter and the one dated October 13.] I lost my readiness to
run; and I consider this a providential discharge of it. All I can do now with
a clear conscience is not to enter into a formal controversy about the new
birth or justification by faith, as well as Christian perfection, but simply to
state my judgment and explain myself as clearly as possible in the face of any
difficulty that may arise in this regard.
So far I
can go with you, but no further. I still say, and without any contradiction,
that I know of no living persons who are so deeply conscious of their need of
Christ both as Prophet, Father, and King as those who believe themselves, and
that I believe, to be cleansed from all sin—I mean from all pride, anger, evil
desire, idolatry, and unbelief. These same persons feel more than ever their
own ignorance, little grace, lacking in the full mind that was in Christ, and
walking with less precision than they could have done according to their divine
Standard; they are more convinced of the insufficiency of all that they are,
have, or do to endure the gaze of God without a Mediator; They are more
penetrated by his sense of desire than ever before.
If Mr.
Maxfield or you say that 'to be less is a sin,' so be it; I argue that it is
not. But still I say, 'There are those who I believe are perfect in the
scriptures. And yet they have never felt their lack of Christ so deeply and
intensely as they do now.' If by saying this I 'totally gave up the point',
what would you like more? It is not enough for me to let him "boast of his
superior power against the small and feeble deviations of perplexed
error." 'You cannot be content,' as the Quaker said, 'to lay J. W. on his
back, but you must tread on his bowels.'
Here are
extremely holy and happy people; rejoicing always, praying always, and giving
thanks in everything; feeling the love of God and man in every moment; without
pride or other evil temper. If these words are not perfect, this biblical word
has no meaning. Stop! you must not complain of this word: you are not wiser
than the Holy Spirit. But if it is not, see that you also teach perfection.
'But they are not sinners' Explain the term in one way, and I say, Yes; and I
say: No. 'Are they cleansed from all sin?' I believe so; That is, of all sinful
temperaments. 'But do they need Christ then?' I believe so, in the sense and
for the reasons mentioned above. Now, whether this is true or false, it is no
contradiction; it is consistent with itself, and I think consistent with right
reason and with all the oracles of God.
Let you
and me follow it to perfection! God grant that we may run in such a way that we
can catch up--I am His affectionate friend and brother. [50]
Just tell me what
you'd like most
Now, Sammy, leaving aside the point of contradiction
or not, simply tell me what you'd like best. Do you believe that bad tempers
remain until death all, or some, if only
For Samuel
Furly
BRISTOL,
October 13, 1762.
MY DEAR
BROTHER,-- In general, when I think, 'Surely this is a contradiction,' if I
meet other persons of equal sagacity with me, with natural and acquired
abilities equal to me, who are not immediately suspicious of my own judgment;
and all the more so because I remember that I have often been as full as I am
now, and yet afterwards I found myself deceived.
On this
particular question, I believe I am able to answer all the objections that may
be made. But I cannot do this without spending a lot of time that is perhaps
better employed. For this reason, I am convinced that it is so far from my duty
to enter into a formal controversy about it that it would be an intentional
sin; It would be to employ my short residue of life in a less profitable way
than it can be employed.
The
proposition I will defend is this: 'A person may be cleansed from all sinful
tempers, and yet need the atoning blood.' What? By 'negligence and ignorance';
both for words and actions (as well as omissions), which are, in a sense,
transgressions of the perfect law. And I believe that no one is free from this
until he deposits this corruptible body. [See the September 15 letter to him.]
I love the
truth wherever I find it; so if you can help me do a little more, you'll help
me, dear Sammy, Your, etc. [51]
Do you begin to see the fruit of your labor, and does
your own soul prosper?
How God's work prospers in Huddersfield and
Slaithwaite [Furly was in Slaithwaite from 1762 to 1766.] Do you begin to see
the fruit of your labor, and does your own soul prosper? Which means everything
except this—saving our own souls and those who hear us
For Samuel
Furly
LONDON,
December 20, 1762.
DEAR
SAMMY,--Charles Perronet, author of that remark on 2 Peter III. 13, does not
believe that Christ will reign on earth, nor in any millennium [See letter of
March 10, 1763.] until we reach heaven. The argument by which he attempts to
prove that St. Peter there speaks only of what will precede the Day of Judgment
is this: 'If these expressions, a new heaven and a new earth, refer only to
this world when they occur in Isaiah, then they refer to nothing else where
they are used by St. Peter.'
I would never
have suspected that Dr. Sherlock [William Sherlock (1641-1707)) was then
Prebend of St. Paul's, and became Dean in 1691; he was Master of the Temple
from 1685 to 1704. His Vindication of the Doctrine of the Trinity in 1690 was
answered by Robert South (1633-1716) in his Animadversions. Sherlock responded
with his Defense (1694), and in 1695 Dr. South wrote his Tritheism, accusing
Sherlock of this heresy. The confrontation was fierce, and prominent men
participated in it on both sides.] to write anything in a burlesque way. He
never targeted this in his controversy with Dr. South, and seemed extremely
angry with his opponent for it. He probably knew he was outnumbered by the
Doctor, and so he didn't mind facing him on his own turf. 'But why should you
be angry,' says Dr. South, 'at the way that perhaps God would have pleased you
to make you a clever one, too.'
I think
the danger of writing to Bishop Warburton is more that of saying too much than
too little. The least said is the soonest changed, and leaves a malicious
critic as the least to cling to. So I made an effort to say as little as
possible about each point. If he answers, I'll say more. But I don't think he
will, unless it's for a side hustle when he writes about another subject. [See
letters of December 11, 1762, and March 10, 1763.]
How God's
work prospers in Huddersfield and Slaithwaite [Furly was in Slaithwaite from
1762 to 1766.] Do you begin to see the fruit of your labor, and does your own
soul prosper? Which means everything except this—saving our own souls and those
who listen to us—I am, dear Sammy, your affectionate friend and brother. [52]
I did
everything I could
For Samuel
Furly
on May 21,
1762.
DEAR
SAMMY,--This morning I came here and received yours. Postmen in Ireland don't
walk in Pegasus.
A sermon
by Ab. [John Sharp, Archbishop of York, sermon on Rom. xiv. I 7, preached on
August 23, 1674, before the Lord Mayor in the Guildhall Chapel: 'Another thing
that would make peace is this—never to impose on men the consequences of their
opinions when they expressly deny them.'] He thoroughly convinced me about
thirty years ago that it is incompatible with charity to accuse any man of the
consequences of his doctrine which he rejects. I've always done this before,
but not anymore. Otherwise, what work should I do with poor George Whitefield?
Another
thing of which I was not so early nor so easily convinced, namely, that, in
spite of all my logic, I cannot prove any point in all Philosophy or Divinity
so as to leave no room for strong objections, and probably for those which I
could not answer. But if I can, my answer, however cautious, will give room for
equally strong objections. And in this way, if the person is a sensible man,
answers and objections can go on endlessly. So I'm tired of altercation. Once
or twice I give my reasons. If they don't convince, I'll already convince. My
day is very spent, so I don't have hours for what I really believe will not
bring any return.
As for
that particular expression, 'Dying at the feet of mercy,' I have only more to
add, I do not care, for it is not a Scriptural phrase whether one accepts it or
leaves it. It is enough for me if he says from the heart: At every moment,
Lord, I need, Of the merit of Your death; I will never desire less when You
have given me grace, filled me with Your holiness, and sealed the heir of
heaven. I will hang over my God, Until I see Thy perfect glory, Till the
sprinkling of Thy blood speaks to me to Thee.
I wish Mr.
Venn more and more success. If he has published his book on ministers of the
gospel, I still think it is not prudence, but great imprudence, that any one of
those who preach the essential truths of the gospel should turn away from one
another. I cannot but think that there should be the most cordial and declared
union between them. But I am glad that shyness is not, and never has been, on
my side. I did everything I could; And with a single eye. As long as God wants
to continue with me, I don't want any man alive. I have everything and plenty
of it. How happy is the man who trusts in Him!
I hope our
Conference will begin in Leeds on Tuesday 10 August. Peace be with you and
yours-- I am, dear Sammy, your affectionate friend and brother. To the Rev. Mr.
Furly, at Slaithwaite, near Huddersfield, Yorks. [53]
Beware
of the impetuosity of your temper
Sammy,
beware of the impetuosity of your temper! This can easily lead you astray. This
can make you evil to the best beings in the world. Don't expect speech
correction from uneducated people
For
Samuel Furly
LONDON,
January 25, 1762.
DEAR
SAMMY,-- But that I almost reached happiness nil admirari, I would have
wondered a little with your long silence. But it's not strange, if 'Time
Changes Thought', and it wouldn't surprise me too much if, in a year or two,
you wondered about the strange man's face as one you've never met. If you got
involved without any kind of promise to the Archbishop, I doubt that your
ordination is a blessing. [Wesley hoped that he would be ordained as Fletcher's
curator. See letter of December 9, 1760.] Caring for a parish is really
something heavy, which requires a lot of sincere prayer. To manage it, you must
follow your own conscience, whether you are satisfied or displeased. So,
whether your success is minor or major, you will eventually give up your
account with joy.
I
myself often hear unscriptural and unreasonable expressions from those at whose
feet I shall rejoice to be found on the day of the Lord Jesus; but I have never
heard blasphemy from any of them, neither teacher nor listener. What is ample
from Scripture or reason, I lightly rebuke; and they usually receive it with
love. Usually, they are convinced; when I cannot convince them, I can endure
them, yes, and rejoice in the grace of God that is in them.
Sammy, beware of the impetuosity of your
temper! This can easily lead you astray. This can make you evil to the best
beings in the world. Do not expect the correction of speech from uneducated
people. The longer I live, the greater the concessions I make to human
infirmities. I demand more from myself and less from others. [A beautiful sign
of softening character.] Go and do the same--I am, with love to Nancy, your
ever-affectionate friend and brother. Not to accept anything, absolutely
nothing, second-hand. [54]
I hope you're still pushing
I hope you are still pressing and
counting all the losses for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ
For Samuel
Furly
LONDON,
January 14, 1764.
MY DEAR
BROTHER,-- I will never think much about paying a letter from you. We are all
here now in great peace; and God is both enlarging and deepening His work.
In this
text, I usually consider (1) what is implied in 'conquering the whole world';
(2) what happens in losing the souls of men themselves; and show (3) how unfair
it would be to gain an entire world at that price. [See sermon on The Important
Question in the Works, vi. 493-505; and letter of March 6.]
I hope you are still pressing and counting all the
losses for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ. "I'm your affectionate brother." [55]
[1] Overview of Google's AI Mode
[2] Overview of Google's AI Mode
[3] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1754/
[4] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1762/
[5] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1756/
[6] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1757/
[7] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1764/
[8] Overview of Google's AI Mode
[9] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1754/
[10] Overview of Google's AI Mode
[11] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1755/
[12] Overview of Google's AI Mode
[13] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1764/
[14] Overview of Google's AI Mode
[15] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1763/
[16] Overview of Google's AI Mode
[17] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1754/
[18] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1758/
[19] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1754/
[20] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1754/
[21] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1754/
[22] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1755/
[23] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1755/
[24] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1756/
[25] Overview of Google's AI Mode
[26] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1756/
[27] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1756/
[28] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1757/
[29] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1757/
[30] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1758/
[31] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1758/
[32]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1758/
[33]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1759/
[34]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1759/
[35]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1762/
[36]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1762/
[37]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1764/
[38]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1764/
[39]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1764/
[40]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1763/
[41]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1756/
[42]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1756/
[43]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1756/
[44]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1756/
[45]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1756/
[46]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1761/
[47]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1764/
[48]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1759/
[49]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1759/
[50]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1762/
[51]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1762/
[52]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1762/
[53]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1762/
[54]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1762/
[55]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1764/
Comentários
Postar um comentário