Wesley's mentorship that turned a young man in fragile health into an influential leader

 

Wesley's Letters to Alexander Knox  

 

Odilon Massolar Chaves 

============================

 

 




Copyright © 2026, Odilon Massolar Chaves

All rights reserved to the author.

It is allowed to read, copy and share for free.

Article 184 of the Penal Code and Law 96710 of February 19, 1998.

Books published in the Wesleyan Digital Library: 867

Books published by the author: 907

Cover: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Knox_%28theologian%29

Odilon Massolar Chaves is a retired Methodist pastor, with a doctorate in Theology and History from the Methodist University of São Paulo.

Son of Rev. Adherico Ribeiro Chaves and Roza Massolar Chaves.

He is married to RoseMary.

He has two daughters: Liliana and Luciana.

His thesis dealt with the Methodist revival in England in the eighteenth century and its contribution as a paradigm for our days.

 

============================

 

Table of Contents

 

·       Introduction

·       Context of Correspondence

·       You have received the Spirit of grace

·       It will be a double blessing if you surrender to the Great Physician

·       You can't have physical health without daily outdoor exercise

·       All his disorders depend on a deep scurvy

·       Often postpones bodily health until soul and body heal together

·       Returns from the disturbance

·       He often postpones bodily health until he heals soul and body together

·       I see you as a healthy, happy man

·       If you had steady, steady health

·       You have a physical complaint

·       Every market day walk

·       It is mainly your body that presses on your soul

·       Don't reason, but look up

·       Don't think about the next day

·       Trust Him and You'll Praise Him

·       I advise you

·       A natural effect of your bodily weakness and your movement of mind

·       He treats us in all things according to His righteousness

·       God keeps them long in His school

·       I judge his disorder to be only partly natural and partly divine

·       The Great Physician shows you sickness on purpose so that He can heal it

·       I didn't give him the medicine that probably would have prevented this

·       By shortness of breath and exercise, you continually weaken it

·       I hope you can say, 'Good is the will of the Lord'

 

============================

 

Introduction

 

"Wesley's mentorship that turned a young man in frail health into an influential leader" is a 33-page book based on Wesley's letters to Alexander Knox. 

"John Wesley's pastoral encouragement and spiritual mentorship were instrumental in transforming the young Alexander Knox, marked by extremely fragile health and chronic depression, into one of the most influential lay theologians and political thinkers of his time in Ireland and England." [1] 

"Alexander Knox (1757–1831) was an Irish theological writer, religious thinker, and politician." [2]

He was born in Londonderry, Ireland, and "descended from the same family as the famous Scottish reformer John Knox". [3]

He met Wesley in the 1760s, when his parents joined the local Methodist society. [4]

"He suffered from epileptic seizures since childhood, which prevented him from attending regular schools, but allowed him to dedicate himself deeply to reading classics and theology at home." [5]

Through letters, Wesley "guided Knox in his youth, addressing the fragile health of young people, physical suffering as a tool for spiritual growth, and the search for holiness." [6] 

Wesley called him "My dear Alleck" and "Dear Alleck."

Wesley sought to remove from Alexander Knox any idea of his illness being the result of sin. On December 23, 1779, Wesley wrote to him, "This desolation is no more imputed to you as a sin than the flow of the blood in your veins." [7]

Wesley gave her several pieces of advice, among them, to go for a walk, get out of the house and get fresh air. In 1789, Wesley told him, "You cannot have physical health without daily exercise in the open air."

Wesley was convinced that his illness depended on a deep scurvy. "Scurvy is a disease caused by the lack of vitamin C (ascorbic acid) in the body, generating problems in the formation of collagen and weakening of blood vessels."[8]

He sought to advise Alexander that the "Great Physician" had purpose with his illness.

"Emotionally and intellectually strengthened, Knox partially overcame the limitations of his health." [9]

He became known as the "sage of Bellevue". He was the author of some works.

There were more than 20 years (1767-1789) of Wesley's correspondence with Alexander Knox. A story that shows Wesley's continued loving care for a young man who was fragile in his health. The result was that Alexander became an influential Irish theological writer, religious thinker, and politician.

He later "wrote texts in defense of John Wesley's reputation and character against criticism from other authors." [10]

The Author

 

============================

 

About the Life of Alexander Knox

 

"John Wesley's letters  to Alexander Knox form a spiritual correspondence from the late eighteenth century. Wesley guided Knox in his youth, addressing the fragile health of young people, physical suffering as a tool for spiritual growth, and the search for holiness." [11]

Context of Correspondence

"Young friendship: Knox met and corresponded with Wesley when he was young.

To Alexander Knox, on April 2, 1778, Wesley said, "It is right that we know each other, but not stop there, as you often do. This is only useful if it leads us to know the One who loves and saves sinners; and, I doubt, He will save you. Trust him, and you will praise him." [12]

Comfort and faith: The letters focused on Christian encouragement and counsel for life.

To Alexander Knox, on December 23, 1780, Wesley told him: "He knows his simplicity. All his faults are before him; and perhaps the word has just spread: 'I will heal him, by my own name.' Don't reason, but look up! Let your heart (as weak and cold as it is) cry out, 'Be unto me according to Thy word!' [13]

Vision of suffering: Wesley told Knox that God uses the pains of the body to heal and perfect the soul." [14]

On February 5, 1784, Wesley wrote to him and said, "As to the love of praise, I doubt not that you have much more of them than you would like; and I am convinced that the Great Physician shows you sickness on purpose so that He can cure you." [15]

"Strengthened emotionally and intellectually, Knox partially overcame the limitations of health to become private secretary to Lord Castlereagh (Chief Secretary of Ireland) in 1798. He played a crucial political role in a period of intense revolts in Irish territory." [16]

His works:

·         "Essays on the Political Circumstances of Ireland during the Administration of Lord Camden; with an appendix containing reflections on the will of the people (1799)

·         A Reply to the Two Great Arguments of the Very Hon. P. Duigenan Against the Right to Vote of Irish Roman Catholics (1810)

·         On the Doctrine Concerning Baptism Held by the Church of England (1820)

·         An Investigation with Foundations of Scripture and Reason on the Use and Meaning of the Eucharistic Symbols (1824)

·         Letters on the Reunification of the Churches of England and Rome (1824)".[17]

 

"Knox lived in or near Dublin for the last three decades of his life, becoming known as the 'sage of Bellevue'. Together with his friend John Jebb, Bishop of Limerick, Knox developed a distinctive style of high church (evidenced in his theology of the sacraments), which also respected currents of seventeenth-century evangelicalism, Methodism, and latitudinarianism. [18]

Among Wesley's guidelines in his letters to Alexander Knox, we find:

 

You have received the Spirit of grace

 

And you wait for the Spirit of adoption, who will cry out in your heart, 'Abba, Father.' You have 'received the Spirit of grace' and, to some extent, have accomplished righteousness.

 

To Alexander Knox

PENRHYN, August 29,  1777.

MY DEAR ALLECK,-- You should read Mr. Fletcher's Essay on Truth. He has placed there, without any doubt, that there is a medium between a child of God and a child of the devil — that is, a servant of God. This is your state. You are not yet a son, but you are a servant; and you wait for the Spirit of adoption, who will cry out in your hearts, 'Abba, Father.' You have "received the Spirit of grace," and to some extent you accomplish righteousness. Without suffering for what you don't have, you have reason to bless God for what you have, and wait patiently for Him to give rest by revealing His Son in your heart. [19] 

 

It will be a double blessing if you surrender to the Great Physician

 

Guidance on this or that meaning is as much an answer to prayer as if healing were done immediately. But it will be a double blessing if you surrender to the Great Physician, so that He can heal soul and body together

 

To Alexander Knox

LONDON, October 26, 1778.

DEAR ALLECK, "You need never be afraid to write to me too often. I am almost concerned about everything that concerns you, and so I am always very happy to hear from you and find that you are still returning to heaven.

Guidance on this or that meaning is as much an answer to prayer as if healing were done immediately. But it will be a double blessing if you surrender yourself to the Great Physician, so that He can heal soul and body together. And without a doubt, this is His plan. He wants to give you and my dear Mrs. Knox health both inside and out. And why not now? Surely all things are ready: believe, and receive the blessing. There is no doubt that your body disorder affects your mind a lot. Be careful to prevent the disease by diet and not by the doctor. Look up and look forward to the happy days! - Dear Alleck,

With affection. [20]

 

You can't have physical health without daily outdoor exercise

 

 I cannot advise you, in the meantime, to lock yourself up at home; It's not good for your body or your mind. You can't have physical health without daily outdoor exercise; and you have no reason to expect the spirit of a healthy mind unless you use the means which God has ordained.

 

To Alexander Knox

Near London, 28 January 1780.

DEAR ALLECK, - It will certainly be worth taking a test of this mineral water; it is highly probable that God will make it a means of diminishing, if not removing it, his bodily disturbance. I cannot question that this is largely scorpotic; as an almost constant symptom of scurvy is a great depression of the spirits.... I cannot advise you, in the meantime, to lock yourself up at home; It's not good for your body or your mind. You can't have physical health without daily outdoor exercise; and you have no reason to expect the spirit of a healthy mind unless you use the means which God has ordained. You know well that faith comes listening; Therefore, I advise you not to miss any opportunity to listen and trust God with the event. You probably won't be in a more uncomfortable state than you already are. And what is the greater evil of the two, even assuming the worst? Surely having two attacks is less bad than missing fifty precious opportunities. O break this fear, which is only a trap of the devil. I commend you and yours to Him who is ready to save you in soul and body; and I am, dear Alleck,

With affection. [21]

 

All his disorders depend on a deep scurvy

 

I am fully convinced that all his disorders depend on a deep scurvy. I don't know what influence the bark can have on this; however, I have no objection to a decoction or infusion of it. I am only opposed to you taking it in kind; Because I can never accept the common sense of introducing ounce after ounce of powdered pole into the human stomach

 

To Alexander Knox

CONGLETON, April 1, 1776

MY DEAR ALLECK,-- I am fully convinced that all your disorders depend on a deep scurvy. I don't know what influence the bark can have on this; however, I have no objection to a decoction or infusion of it. I am only opposed to you taking it in kind; Because I can never accept the common sense of introducing ounce after ounce of powdered pole into the human stomach. But I really think you prefer anti-scorbula remedies, like watercress or nettle decoction or burdock. This explains the almost constant depression of the spirits, which is both a physical and a spiritual problem. And it is permissible to suppress the fire of youth and wean you from the desire for earthly things, to teach you this happy lesson--

Wealth, honor, pleasure, and what else

This short and lasting world can give;

Try as you will, my heart repels--

To Christ alone determined to live.

--My dear Alleck,

With great affection.

house, in Barnard Castle. [22]

Note: "Scurvy is a disease caused by a lack of vitamin C (ascorbic acid) in the body, causing problems in the formation of collagen and weakening of blood vessels. Nowadays it is rare, but it affects people with diets very low in fruits and vegetables".[23]

 

Often postpones bodily health until soul and body heal together

 

But He often postpones bodily health until He heals soul and body together. Perhaps this is His plan for you. But why don't you go to salt water? If you're broke, let me gladly help you out a bit.

 

To Alexander Knox

BRISTOL, July 29,  1777.

DEAR ALLECK,--I have just returned from a trip to Monmouthshire and other parts of Wales.

No: God has not forgotten you. You must not say, 'He hides His face, and He will never see you.' Surely God saw it; and He cannot despise the work of His own hands. But He often postpones bodily health until He heals soul and body together. Perhaps this is His plan for you. But why don't you go to salt water? If you're broke, let me gladly help you out a bit. In the meantime, I give you a word for your consideration,--' Why are you so heavy, O my soul? And why are you restless within me? Oh, trust in God! I will still give thanks to Him, who is the help of my face and my God.'

Peace be with all your spirits--I am

With affection. [24]

 

Returns from the disturbance

 

If the returns of your disorder are increasingly mild, there is reason to hope that it will finally be fully removed

 

To Alexander Knox

BRISTOL, March 19,  1777.

 

DEAREST SIR,-- If the returns of your disorder are milder and softer, there is reason to hope that it will finally be entirely removed. Most likely, if you live to twenty-five or six, your constitution will change course. But surely it is His plan that loves you to heal both body and soul; and possibly He delays the healing of the first so that the healing of the second keeps pace. Because 'it is a great loss to lose an affliction,' He does not want you to lose what you have suffered. I trust that it will not be lost, but it will be for your benefit, so that you can be part of His holiness. It is a blessing that He has given you that fear which is the beginning of wisdom; And it is a promise of greater things to come. How long? Maybe today....

If I could take the time, I would gladly accept your invitation; but I doubt I can go beyond Dublin. [He spent October 3-13 in Dublin.] Peace be with all your spirits-- I am, my dear Alleck,

With all the affection. [25]

 

I see you as a healthy, happy man

 

Despite all this, I have no doubt that I see you as a healthy and happy man. But it is true that nothing short of almighty power can heal both your soul and your body

 

To Alexander Knox

PENRHYN, August 29,  1777.

MY DEAR ALLECK,-- You should read Mr. Fletcher's Essay on Truth. He has placed there, without any doubt, that there is a medium between a child of God and a child of the devil — that is, a servant of God. This is your state. You are not yet a son, but you are a servant; and you wait for the Spirit of adoption, who will cry out in your hearts, 'Abba, Father.' You have "received the Spirit of grace," and to some extent you accomplish righteousness. Without suffering for what you don't have, you have reason to bless God for what you have, and wait patiently for Him to give rest by revealing His Son in your heart.

Despite all this, I have no doubt that I see you as a healthy and happy man. But it is true that nothing short of almighty power can heal both your soul and your body. And isn't that enough? Do you have no reason to rejoice because 'salvation is from the Lord'? I pray, who can you trust best? Who loves you more than Him? Then out, in despair! Hope until the end. To Him I commend you all; and I am, dear Alleck,

With all the affection. [26]

 

If you had steady, steady health

 

 If you had been in steady, steadfast health, I do not see how you could have been saved; You would have been so admired, caressed, and applauded by your well-meaning relatives, and perhaps by others, that it would have been almost impossible to escape the depths of pride and the height of vanity

 

To Alexander Knox

LONDON, July 31, 1779.

DEAR ALLECK, - Come when you want, whether I am more or less busy, your letters are always welcome.... If you had been in steady, steadfast health, I do not see how you could have been saved; You would have been so admired, caressed, and applauded by your well-meaning relatives, and perhaps by others, that it would have been almost impossible to escape the depths of pride and the height of vanity. But God was merciful to you, and sent this affliction to humble you, to test you, and to show you what was in your heart. Meanwhile, nothing is more certain than that all these things will work together for some good.

Far, far beyond what you thought

Your council shall attend,

When He fully accomplished the work

That caused your needless fear!

No doubt He can give you a sincerity now. Not a ray of hope invades your soul? You can fail to say, [27]

 

You have a physical complaint

 

It is undeniable (1) That you have a physical complaint. Their nerves are very disordered; and though it only now and then so rises as to cause an outbreak, yet it has a constant influence upon you, so as to cause discouragement of spirits. This desolation is no more imputed to you as a sin than the flow of the blood in your veins

 

To Alexander Knox

LONDON, December 23, 1779.

DEAR ALLECK, - All the account you still give convinces me more and more of what I have observed more and more about the nature of your disorder. It is undeniable (1) That you have a physical complaint. Their nerves are very disordered; and though it only now and then so rises as to cause an outbreak, yet it has a constant influence upon you, so as to cause discouragement of spirits. This desolation is no more imputed to you as a sin than the flow of the blood in your veins. (2) Though I do not say that you have no faith, it is certain that your faith is small; And you are afraid, because you have little faith: this is another source of your discomfort. (3) You want to have the love of God fully shed abroad in your heart: you have only now and then a little touch of gratitude, a little spark of that divine fire; And therefore anger, or at least restlessness and irritation, will more or less arise naturally. Add to this (4) the main cause - diabolical agency. Satan will certainly take advantage of the occasion, of the situation you are in, to inject a thousand thoughts; and then he will accuse you for them; but he, not you, will answer God for them. God is on your side: He knows what you are made of; and Jesus cares for you. He keeps you and my dear Mrs. Knox as the apple of the eye; His Spirit helps their infirmities; He is purifying you in this oven; and when they are tested, they will appear as gold. Wait for the blessing: it is not around - I am, my dear Alleck,

With affection. [28]

 

Every market day walk

 

What I advise is this: every market day walk to the church cemetery, if not around. When you are a little harder on it, you can venture out, at a convenient opportunity (suppose on a Sunday morning), to participate in public worship.

 

To Alexander Knox

DUBLIN, July 10, 1785.

DEAR ALLECK, - ... What I advise is this: every market day walk to the church cemetery, if not around. When you are a little harder on it, you can venture out, at a convenient opportunity (suppose on a Sunday morning), to participate in public worship. [See letter of June 8.] As long as you do, I cannot say that you are in God's way, and so I am not sure that you will find His blessing....

Peace be with all your spirits! We set sail tonight. My dear Alleck, farewell[29].

 

It is mainly your body that presses on your soul

 

As I have often remarked to you, I am still convinced that it is primarily your body that presses upon your soul; and if God wants to heal your body, I doubt your mind will be much easier

 

To Alexander Knox

LONDON, November 18, 1780.

MY DEAR ALLECK,-- My mind is exactly the same with you as it has been for several years; with this only difference (which is very natural): that the more I know you, the more I love you. I can't get enough of my friends so soon. My brother laughs at me and says, 'No, it doesn't mean anything to tell you anything; For whom you love one day, you will love for better or for worse.' ...

As I have often remarked to you, I am still convinced that it is primarily your body that presses upon your soul; and if God wants to heal your body, I doubt your mind will be much easier. I do not despair to see him happy, full of joy and peace in belief. Look up, and wait for Him who is mighty to save. "I am, dear Alleck,

With all the affection. [30]

 

Don't reason, but look up

 

 This is not presumption: it is an expectation that the God of truth will be no worse than His word. He won't, Alleck! He won't! Don't imagine that He will. He knows its simplicity. All his faults are before him; and perhaps the word has just spread: 'I will heal him, by my own name.' Don't reason, but look up! Let your heart (as weak and cold as it is) cry out, 'Be unto me according to Thy word! 

 

To Alexander Knox

LONDON, December 23, 1780.

DEAR ALLECK,-- You are very ingenious in finding arguments against yourself; And if you dedicate yourself to it, they will never be lacking. Besides, there is an old sophist, who has puzzled causes for these six thousand years, who will always be ready to give you reasons for all kinds of unbelief. But 'God will not give faith to the doubters, in him that asketh what he desireth not to receive. 'No, not as long as he is doubtful; but He will first take yours doubly (perhaps as you read this!) and then give you faith that anything is possible. 'Yes, tomorrow, or another time.' There is no better time than the present! 'Today, if you want to hear His voice,' He says, 'I am your salvation.' Why not today? Is not a day with Him like a thousand years? And all that He could do in a thousand years, can't He do in one day? That this cannot be done without a miracle is absolutely certain. But why shouldn't you expect this miracle? This is not presumption: it is an expectation that the God of truth will be no worse than His word. He won't, Alleck! He won't! Don't imagine that He will. He knows its simplicity. All his faults are before him; and perhaps the word has just spread: 'I will heal him, by my own name.' Don't reason, but look up! Let your heart (as weak and cold as it is) cry out, 'Be unto me according to Thy word! '--I am Always yours. [31]

 

Don't think about the next day

 

As for your health, both of body and mind, if you could follow one piece of advice, it would have an amazing effect. It is this: 'Don't think about the next day.' You don't know how much even your body suffers from it. Only today is yours. Look up, and He will bless you all today.

 

To Alexander Knox

LONDON, February 26, 1778.

DEAR ALLECK, - At the end of March I hope to be in Dublin, and about the 28th of May in Londonderry. [preached May 28 at Londonderry and remained until June 4.] It's a place I've always loved; but I will love more than ever if I have the pleasure of being with you. As for your health, both of body and mind, if you could follow one piece of advice, it would have an amazing effect. It is this: 'Don't think about the next day.' You don't know how much even your body suffers from it. Only today is yours. Look up, and He will bless you all today. - It's me, my dear Alleck,

Very affectionately yours. [32]

 

Trust Him and You'll Praise Him

 

It's okay to get to know each other, but not stop there, as you usually do. This is only useful if it leads us to know the One who loves and saves sinners; and, I doubt, He will save you. Trust him, and you will praise him.

 

To Alexander Knox

DUBLIN, April 2, 1778.

MY DEAR ALLECK, - I have come here this morning, after a difficult passage, from Liverpool; and purpose (if God continues my life and health) to be with you in Londonderry on Friday, May 28th.

It's okay to get to know each other, but not stop there, as you usually do. This is only useful if it leads us to know the One who loves and saves sinners; and, I doubt, He will save you. Trust him, and you will praise him. I hope my dear Sally hasn't forgotten me. Peace be with all your spirits! - It's me, dear Alleck,

With affection. [33]

 

I advise you

 

I advise you,

1. Never stay awake after ten.

2. Never wake up beyond six.

3. Walk at least an hour a day outdoors: if it rains all day, in the dining room.

 

To Alexander Knox

KILREA, June 5, 1778.

MY DEAR ALLECK, - I advise you,

1. Never stay awake after ten.

2. Never wake up beyond six.

3. Walk at least an hour a day outdoors: if it rains all day, in the dining room.

. . . . .

7. Spend the first hour of the morning and from five to six in the afternoon in private prayer and reading of the Scriptures in order, together with the Notes and any other book close to the practice.

8. Spend some time later in the morning reading Bishop Pearson or any other theology book; and spend more or less time in the afternoon reading history, poetry or philosophy.

9. Trust in God. Resist every suspicious thought the moment you are injected. God is on your side. Don't believe the old killer who says otherwise.

Write your whole mind to me from time to time. I hope you all find a blessing when you meet on Sunday. Peace be with all your spirits! - I'm

With affection. [34]

 

A natural effect of your bodily weakness and your movement of mind

 

It is a natural effect of your bodily weakness and your movement of mind that you are continually inclined to write bitter things against yourself. Hence, you are easily persuaded to believe him who says that you are "devoid of any degree of saving faith."

 

To Alexander Knox

DUBLIN, July 11, 1778.

It is a natural effect of your bodily weakness and your movement of mind that you are continually apt to write bitter things against yourself. Hence, you are easily persuaded to believe him who says that you are "devoid of any degree of saving faith." No; This is not the case. For salvation is by faith alone; and you have received a degree of salvation. You are saved from many outward sins – from the corruption that spreads across the earth like a flood. You are saved in degree from indwelling sin; From impenitence, because you know yourself and feel like a sinner. You are spared to some extent from pride; for you begin to feel poor and helpless. You are saved from seeking happiness in the world: this is no small feat. O praise be to God for all that you have, and trust him for all that you will! Peace be with your spirits! - It's me, dear Alleck,

With affection. [35]

 

He treats us in all things according to His righteousness

 

That you have no right to expect the continuance of your health is undoubtedly true—that is, you cannot claim it from the justice of God; you don't deserve it at His hands. But is this the measure by which He treats His poor creatures: Does He not bestow upon us more blessings than we deserve, He treats us in all things according to His justice?

 

To Alexander Knox

LONDON, August 16, 1778.

MY DEAR ALLECK, - You have long been tempted to despise the day of small things; although, in fact, they are not small things that God has already done for you. It is certain that you are still too lukewarm: you need to awaken the gift of God that is in you; and you must praise Him that His hand is still upon you forever, preserving you from presumptuous sins. You should be sensible about it and thank you for it, which can be without 'applauding' yourself. That you have no right to expect the continuance of your health is undoubtedly true—that is, you cannot claim it from the justice of God; you don't deserve it at His hands. But is this the measure by which He treats His poor creatures: Does He not bestow upon us more blessings than we deserve, He treats us in all things according to His justice? It is not so; But mercy rejoices over judgment! Therefore expect from Him not what you deserve, but what you desire—health of soul and health of body: ask, and receive; seek, and you will find; not because of his worthiness, but because "worthy is the Lamb."

May God's peace be with all your spirits! - It's me, dear Alleck,

With affection. [36]

 

God keeps them long in His school

 

An ordinary illness, especially a passing one, would in no way have responded to the intention, nor would it have saved you from admiring yourself or being admired by others. Therefore, God keeps you for a long time in His school, the best where Infinite Wisdom can place you, so that you may fully learn to be meek and humble of heart and to seek all your happiness in God.

 

To Alexander Knox

LONDON, January 27, 1776.

MY DEAR ALLECK,-- I wrote a specific reply to your last one or two days after receiving it. It is better if someone has not intercepted it; otherwise, I don't know how I could suffer a miscarriage. His sickness will continue as long as it is necessary to suppress the fire of youth, to keep him dead to the world, and to prevent him from seeking happiness where he has never been and cannot be found. Considering this view, it is a great blessing and a proof of God's attentive care for you....

I cannot help but admire the wisdom and goodness of Divine Providence towards you. As you have all the necessities and conveniences of life; how you have a tender and forgiving father; As you have a natural vivacity and a stream of spirits, you would probably have aroused the admiration or affection of your relatives and acquaintances, and put your happiness into it, if not so wonderful a counterbalance had been prepared for you. An ordinary illness, especially a passing one, would in no way have responded to the intention, nor would it have saved you from admiring yourself or being admired by others. Therefore, God keeps you for a long time in His school, the best where Infinite Wisdom can place you, so that you may fully learn to be meek and humble of heart and to seek all your happiness in God.

Wishing all blessings to my dear Mrs. Knox and the little ones, I remain

With affection. [37]

 

I judge his disorder to be only partly natural and partly divine

 

I judge his disorder to be only partly natural and partly divine; the gift of God, perhaps, by the ministry of angels, to balance the natural petulance of youth; to save you from foolish desires; and to keep him steadfast in the search for that better part that will never be taken away from him.

 

To Alexander Knox

EDINBURGH, May 28, 1776.

MY DEAR ALLECK,-- I received yours a day or two ago, on my way back from the North of Scotland... I judge his disorder to be only partly natural and partly divine; the gift of God, perhaps, by the ministry of angels, to balance the natural petulance of youth; to save you from foolish desires; and to keep him steadfast in the search for that better part that will never be taken away from him. Whether you have more or less sadness doesn't matter; You just want more faith. That's the point. Dare to believe; on Christ; see all your sins upon Jesus, and by His bonds you will be healed. Most likely, if I live, I will be detained in London for a good part of next summer.

Look up! There is no health at hand, neither for the soul nor for the body! You have nothing to do with fear. It is useless. We are 'saved by hope.' . . . -I am, my dear Alleck,

With affection. [38]

 

The Great Physician shows you sickness on purpose so that He can heal it

 

As to the love of praise, I do not doubt that you have much more of them than you would like; and I am convinced that the Great Physician shows you sickness on purpose so that He can cure it

To Alexander Knox

NEAR LONDON, FEBRUARY 5, 1784.

DEAR ALLECK, - As for the love of praise, I do not doubt that you have much more of them than you would like; and I am convinced that the Great Physician shows you the disease on purpose so that He can cure it. But still, I understand that you are a small mistake. You blame yourself where there is no guilt. "Being satisfied with the approval of our fellow men" is not part of the corrupt nature. It belongs to our pure nature; and to value it in any degree is a duty, not a sin....

Peace be with you and yours! - It's me, my dear Alleck,

Always yours. [39]

 

I didn't give him the medicine that probably would have prevented this

 

I am afraid that the late return of his attacks was to some extent my fault, because I did not give him the medicine that would probably have prevented it

 

To Alexander Knox

BRISTOL, September 27, 1778.

MY DEAR ALLECK, I am afraid that the late return of your attacks was to some extent my fault, because I did not give you the remedy that would probably have prevented it. I thought about it, indeed; But you didn't go any further when you said your grandmother would send you to the salt water. I doubt you haven't been there this beautiful autumn, and now the year is very much spent.

Some time ago I was reading an account of a person in France, whose confessor absolutely forbade (for such a time) to think of his sins, and commanded him to "think only of the mercies of God in Christ." This had an admirable effect on this despondent man. I know I don't, but it may have happened to you. Don't look down, but look up. Do not let the corruptible body press down on the soul, and give no place to the evil one, who would continue to keep you steeped in the dark side of this prospect. There is good determined in relation to you, and not evil. God has not abandoned you. Thou shalt not die, but live, and declare the loving-kindness of the Lord. He did indeed rebuke and correct them, but he did not put them to death. But you shouldn't lock yourself in the house: you should be outdoors as much as possible; No, and you should ride horses whenever you can...

I commend you all to the one who cares for you; and I am, dear Alleck,

With affection. [40]

 

By shortness of breath and exercise, you continually weaken it

 

It is indisputably clear to every impartial person that by locking yourself up like this, you hurt your body; By shortness of breath and exercise, you continually weaken it. I wonder how you don't have attacks every day. And you have wounded your soul by neglecting the ordinances of God, which you have no authority to do unless you were sick in bed

 

To Alexander Knox

COLERAINE, June 8, 1785.

DEAR ALLECK, - Having now deeply considered your case, I send you my mature thoughts; which I ask you and Mrs. Knox to consider impartially in the presence of God. But beware, you do not correct your judgment before you hear the cause; otherwise, I will lose my job, and you may lose your life, if not your soul.

You say: 'The reason I don't go out is this, I'm afraid of falling into the street; and I do not attend church or the preaching house for fear of falling there and disturbing the congregation.'

This is the clear state of the case. The question then is whether this reason is sufficient or not

I am fully convinced that it is not because, (1) you are not sure that you will fall into the church or the congregation. You have great reason to hope that it will not come; though I should not be surprised if his crises were now at once more frequent and more severe than they really are.

But (2) Doesn't common sense teach us in the slightest in shopping malls? Now, I insist that your falling into the street or the congregation once a month is less evil than to be silent: so that—if a voice were uttered from heaven, 'Either be silent, or endure this shame once a month, or even once a week; choose your choice' - it would be wiser to choose the second, as it is incomparably the less bad of the two.

It is indisputably clear to every impartial person that by locking yourself up like this, you hurt your body; By shortness of breath and exercise, you continually weaken it. I wonder how you don't have attacks every day. And you have wounded your soul by neglecting the ordinances of God, which you have no authority to do unless you were sick in bed.

My dear Alleck, don't delay! Break through! At all costs, break the passage! Go out today and trust in God! If your mother gets in your way, she will kill you with kindness; and I'm not sure it won't cost another child his life, though God will try milder methods first. I repeat, go out today, and every day. This will help both your body and your soul, as well as take a great burden off the mind

Your fondly tender. [41]

 

I hope you can say, 'Good is the will of the Lord'

 

You see in the public papers that I will be with you if God allows it on the 30th of next month. If I am called to take a longer journey before that time, I hope you will be able to say, 'Good is the will of the Lord.' Each time we meet, we are less and less likely to meet again in this world

 

To Alexander Knox

DUBLIN, April 11, 1789.

MY DEAR ALLECK, -- You see in the public papers that I will be with you if God permits on the 30th of next month. If I am called to take a longer journey before that time, I hope you will be able to say, 'Good is the will of the Lord.' Each time we meet, we are less and less likely to meet again in this world. But it is enough if we are found worthy of this world and of the resurrection of the dead. Oh, let my dear Sally Knox [his sister] think about it, for we do not know how soon she will be called. Certainly I love her very much; and we shall be glad to meet her at the right hand of our Lord. Peace be with all your spirits! -- I am, my dear Alleck,

With all the affection. [42]

 



[1] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[2] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[3] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[4] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[5] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[6] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[7] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1779/

[8] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[9] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[10] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[11] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[12] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1778/

[13] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1780/

[14] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[15] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1784/

[16] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[17] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Knox_%28theologian%29

[18] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Knox_%28theologian%29

[19] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1777/

[20] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1778/

[21] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1780/

[22] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1776/

[23] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[24] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1777/

[25] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1777/

[26] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1777/

[27] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1779/

[28] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1779/

[29] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1785/

[30] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1780/

[31] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1780/

[32] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1778/

[33] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1778/

[34] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1778/

[35] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1778/

[36] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1778/

[37] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1776/

[38] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1776/

[39] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1784/

[40] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1778/

[41] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1785/

[42] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas deste blog