Wesley and the Sovereignty of God

 

Odilon Massolar Chaves

 

============================

 


 

Copyright © 2026, Odilon Massolar Chaves

All rights reserved to the author.

It is allowed to read, copy and share for free.

Article 184 of the Penal Code and Law 96710 of February 19, 1998.

Books published in the Wesleyan Digital Library: 858

Books published by the author: 898

Cover: https://www.window-clings.uk/k/LNCECShowProduct.cfm?Id=518

Odilon Massolar Chaves is a retired Methodist pastor, with a doctorate in Theology and History from the Methodist University of São Paulo.

Son of Rev. Adherico Ribeiro Chaves and Roza Massolar Chaves.

He is married to RoseMary.

He has two daughters: Liliana and Luciana.

His thesis dealt with the Methodist revival in England in the eighteenth century and its contribution as a paradigm for our days.

 

============================

 

"But God (though you cannot see him) is above heaven, and is much brighter than the sun! It is He who makes the green grass and the flowers grow; which makes the trees green and the fruits that will come on them! Think about what he is capable of! He can do whatever he wants. He can kill me or kill me in an instant. But he loves you; He loves to do good on you. He loves to make you happy. It shouldn't, so love it! You  love me, because I love you and I do you good. But it is God who makes me love you. Therefore, you must love it."[1]

 

(John Wesley)

 

============================

 

Table of Contents

 

·       Introduction

·       How Wesley Viewed Sovereignty and Grace

·       God is Sovereign, both in sanctifying and in justifying

·       Your Sovereign Power to Perform Miracles

·       The final doom of every man

·       Our Governor

·       You were led to the place where God intended you to be

·       To be all-powerful, all-wise, all-gracious

·       Under the Shadow of the Almighty

·       A creature that the Almighty created for Himself

·       But that powerlessness in you can be an obstacle to God's almighty power

·       Almighty power can heal both your soul and your body

·       Almighty Savior

·       Only He who is all-powerful is able to break the bonds

·       God certainly acts as a Sovereign

·       God is sovereign: He can make as many exceptions as He wants to His general rule

 

============================

 

Introduction

 

"Wesley and the Sovereignty of God" is a 27-page book based on Wesley's letters.

For Wesley, " God's sovereignty does not mean a mechanical control or a decree that forces human destiny. Wesley understood divine sovereignty through the lens of a loving Father, who chose to limit his own power to grant free will and true moral responsibility to human beings." [2]

Wesley uses the expression "Almighty" a lot to refer to God's sovereignty as well as "Governor".

"When John Wesley speaks of God as the Almighty, he is referring to God's sovereignty, but with a particular (Arminian) theological understanding. For Wesley, the supreme power of God does not nullify human responsibility or free will."[3]

For Wesley, "the true predestination, or pre-appointment of God is: 1. He who believes will be saved from the guilt and power of sin - 2. He who endures to the end will be saved forever." [4]

Wesley emphasizes God's constant love and care. To Dr. Conyers Middleton, on January 4, 1749, Wesley wrote, "This all-powerful, all-wise, all-gracious Being, this Governor of all, loves me. This Lover of my soul is always with me, never absent—no, not for a moment."

A necessary theme in our day to know Wesley's view of God's sovereignty.

 

The Author

 

============================

 

How Wesley Viewed Sovereignty and Grace

 

Wesley had great confidence in the loving Sovereignty of God. To Howell Harris, on August 6, 1742, Wesley said, "I must write; though where my letter shall find thee, that I know not, only that it shall be under the shadow of the Almighty—yes, in the arms of Him that loveth thee."

"Free Will and Prevenient Grace: Wesley believed that God empowers all people to respond to His call through prevenient grace, a God-given grace that restores the human ability to choose between good and evil.

To Samuel Sparrow, on December 28, 1773, Wesley wrote, "But no one need perish; for we have an almighty Savior, one who is able and willing to save to the utmost all who have come to God through Him."

Rejection of Unconditional Predestination: He rejected strict Calvinism, arguing that decreeing who would be saved and who would be condemned in a fixed way made God's love and justice incompatible with biblical reality.

To John Downes, rector of St. Michael's, on November 17, 1759, Wesley rejects an accusation: "(...) A second charge you advance is that we 'suppose that the final perdition of every man depends on the sovereign will and pleasure of God' (I assume you mean His absolute and unconditional decree), that we 'regard man as a mere machine', that we suppose that believers 'cannot fall from grace' (page 31). No, I don't think any of those things."

The Father Model: While the traditional Reformed view emphasized sovereignty as an absolute monarch who decides every detail by sheer unilateral will, Wesley prioritized the relational model of a Father who desires everyone to be saved." [5] 

To Dorthy Furly, on June 14, 1757, Wesley said, "But that impotence in you may be an obstacle to the almighty power of God. And what unworthiness can hinder God's free love, His love in and through Christ Jesus, so that all the promises may be righteous before you."

True predestination: Commenting on 1 Peter 1:2: "Chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father through sanctification by the Spirit to obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ; grace and peace be multiplied unto you," Wesley explains:

"Elect - By the free love and omnipotent power of God taken out of the world, separated from it. Election, in the scriptural sense, is God doing anything in which our merit or power has no part. The true predestination, or pre-appointment of God is: 1. He who believes will be saved from the guilt and power of sin - 2. He who endures to the end will be saved forever." [6]

In his letters, we find several of Wesley's statements and teachings about Almighty God and his sovereignty:

 

 

God is Sovereign, both in sanctifying and in justifying

 

That is the plain meaning of the text; and it can be performed on you before bed. God is Sovereign, both in sanctifying and in justifying. He will act when and how he pleases; and no one can say to him, 'What do you do?'

 

                          

To Dorothy Furly ATHLONE, June 1, 1760.

MY DEAR SISTER,-- I am convinced that it is not a small thing that will make me mad at you. I hope you think badly of me, no; Because you can have many reasons for this.

Try: Perhaps, with prayer and a little resolution, you will avoid hearing these disputes about holiness. It implies no more than this: If John Jones or anyone else begins a discourse on the errors or sins of absent persons, tell him: 'I ask you to say no more on this subject; I dare not, and I will not listen, unless these people were present.' If anyone begins any such caution, stop him, just calmly and in good humor; say: 'I believe they speak out of kindness; but I must not listen; This both distresses and hurts my soul. Therefore, if you really want my well-being, be silent, or we will call another cause.' Where you see well, you may add, 'I consulted Mr. Wesley on this point, and this was the advice he gave me.'

No one ever 'walked in the light as God walks in the light' (I mean in the full sense of the word) until 'the blood of Jesus Christ had cleansed him from all sin.' 'If we are perfectly saved, it is by His blood.' This is the plain meaning of the text; and it can be performed on you before bed. God is Sovereign, both in sanctifying and in justifying. He will act when and how he pleases; and no one can say to him, 'What do you do?'

When the lungs are ulcerated, a cold shower is not only harmless, but it is the most likely cure. Sammy is a letter indebted to me. I don't know, but he is providentially called to this kingdom. I have now finished more than half of my progress, having passed through two of the four provinces. Who knows if I'll live to get through the other two. It doesn't matter how long we live, but how well. "I am, my dear sister, your affectionate brother. [7]

 

Your Sovereign Power to Perform Miracles

 

However, I do not know whether God has in any way prevented Himself from thus exercising His sovereign power, from performing miracles of any kind or degree at any time until the end of the world. I do not recall any scripture in which we are taught that miracles should be confined within the limits of the apostolic or Cyprian age, or of any period of time,


To Thomas Church

June 17, 1746. 

“(...) Thus, although God wants to redo all the wonders that have ever been done on earth, still these men, no matter how 'wise and prudent' they are in matters relating to the present world, would fight against God and all of His messengers, and this in spite of all these miracles. Meanwhile, God will reveal His truth to babes—to those who are meek and humble, whose desires are in heaven, who want to "know nothing but Jesus Christ and Him crucified." These do not need an outward miracle to show His will; they have one simple rule—the written Word. And 'the anointing which they received from him abides in them, and teaches them all things' (1 John ii. 27). By this they are able to carry all doctrines 'unto the law and testimony': and whatever is according to it they receive, without expecting to see it attested by miracles; For, on the other hand, whatever is contrary to this they reject—not even miracles can move them to receive it.

5. However, I do not know whether God has in any way prevented Himself from thus exercising His sovereign power, from performing miracles of any kind or degree at any time until the end of the world. I do not recall any scripture in which we are taught that miracles should be confined within the limits of the apostolic or Cyprian age, or of any period of time, longer or shorter, even until the restitution of all things. I have not observed, either in the Old or in the New, any such indication. St. Paul says, in fact, once, about two of the miraculous gifts of the Spirit (so, I believe this text is generally understood), 'If there be prophecies, they will fail; if there are tongues, they will cease.' But he does not say, nor that these or any other miracles will cease until faith and hope also cease, until all are swallowed up by the sight of God, and love is all in all.[8]

 

The final doom of every man

 

A second charge you advance is that we 'suppose that the final perdition of every man depends on the sovereign will and pleasure of God' (I assume you mean His absolute and unconditional decree), that we 'regard man as a mere machine', that we suppose that believers 'cannot fall into disgrace'

 

To John Downes, Dean of St. Michael's, Wood Street

LONDON, November 17, 1759.

REVEREND SIR,--1. In the treatise you have just published on the persons called Methodists, you say very correctly: 'Our first care should be to examine frankly and justly your doctrines. For just as to reproach them without examination would be unjust, to do the same without a just and impartial examination would be ungenerous.' And again: 'We must, in the first place, carefully and frankly examine their doctrines.' (Page 68.) This is, without a doubt, true. But have you ever done that? Have you examined their doctrines? Have you examined them fairly and frankly, frankly and carefully? Have you read at least the Sermons they published or the Appeal to Men of Reason and Religion? I hope not; for I would like to give you some excuse for having told so many senseless and shameless lies. I hope you know nothing about the Methodists, any more than I know anything about the Cham of Tartary; that you are ignorant of all history, and are so bold only because you are blind (...)".

(...) A second charge you advance is that we 'suppose that the final perdition of every man depends on the sovereign will and pleasure of God' (I assume you mean His absolute and unconditional decree), that we 'regard man as a mere machine', that we suppose that believers 'cannot fall from grace' (page 31). No, I don't think any of those things. Let those who care answer for themselves. I suppose just the opposite in Predestination Calmly Considered, a treatise published ten years ago. [See Works, x. 204-59.] (...)”.[9]

 

Our Governor

 

'O Lord our Governor, how excellent are Thy ways in all the earth! You, who have placed Your glory above the heavens!' While He, as it were, sees the Lord sitting on His throne, ruling all things well; while observing the general providence of God co-extended with all His creation

 

For Dr. Conyers Middleton

LONDON, January 4, 1749.

“(...) Section I. 1. I would consider, first, Who is really a Christian?

“(...) as he takes notice of the invisible things of God, even His eternal power and wisdom in the things that are seen—the heavens, the earth, the birds of the air, the lilies of the field. How much more, while he rejoices in the constant care He still takes of the work of His own hand, does he burst forth in a transport of love and praise: 'O Lord our Governor, how excellent are Thy ways in all the earth! You, who have placed Your glory above the heavens!' While He, as it were, sees the Lord sitting on His throne, ruling all things well; while he observes the general providence of God co-extended with all his creation, and observes all the effects of it in heaven and earth, as a pleased spectator; while he sees the wisdom and goodness of His general government descending to every particular, as presiding over the whole universe as over a single person, as watching over every person as if it were the whole universe; — how exalted he is when he reviews the various vestiges of Almighty goodness, in what has happened to him in the various circumstances and changes of his own life! everything he now sees has been assigned to him and distributed in number, weight and measure. With what triumph of the soul, in observing the general or particular providence of God, does it observe every line that points to a beyond, every scene that opens up to eternity!

He is peculiarly and indescribably happy in the clearest and fullest conviction, 'This all-powerful, all-wise, all-gracious Being, this Ruler of all, loves me. That Lover of my soul is always with me, never absent—no, not for a moment. And I love Him: there is no one in heaven but You, none on earth that I desire but You! And He gave me to resemble Himself; He engraved His image on my heart. And I live for Him; I do only His will; I glorify him with my body and my spirit. And it will not be long before I die to Him; I will die in the arms of God. And then goodbye sin and pain; then it only remains for me to live with Him forever (...)".[10]

 

You were led to the place where God intended you to be

 

By a different line of providences, you were led to the place where God intended you to be. And you have reason to praise Him for not allowing your labor there to be in vain.

 

To Lawrence Coughlan

[August 27, 1768,]

DEAR LAWRENCE,-- By a different line of providences, you were led to the place where God intended you to be. And you have reason to praise Him for not allowing your labor there to be in vain. Before long this will mean whether we live in the Summer Isles or below

The fury of Arctos and the eternal frost! [See Solomon of Prior, i. 264-5: 'If anyone suffers on the polar coast, the fury of Arctos and the eternal frost.']

How soon this dream of life will end! And when we are on earth in eternity, all will be one, whether we spend our time on earth in a palace or do not know where to lay our heads.

You never learned, either by my conversation, nor by my preaching, nor by writings, that 'holiness consisted in an flow of joy.' I always told you exactly the opposite: I told you it was love; the love of God and neighbor; the image of God stamped on the heart; the life of God in the soul of man; the mind that was in Christ, allowing us to walk as Christ also walked. If Mr. Maxfield or you thought it was something else, it was your fault, not mine. And whenever you woke up from that dream, you shouldn't have blamed me. It is true that joy is a part of the 'fruit of the Spirit', of the kingdom of God within us. But this is first 'righteousness', then 'peace' and 'joy in the Holy Spirit'. It is true, moreover, that if you love God with "all your heart," you can "rejoice forever." No, it is even more true that many serious, humble, sober believers, who sometimes feel God's love and then rejoice in God their Savior, cannot be content with it, but pray continually that He will enable them to love and "rejoice in the Lord always." And no fact under heaven is more undeniable than that God answers that prayer; that He does, for the sake of His Son, and by the power of His Spirit, allows one and the other to do it. It is also a plain fact that this power frequently overshadows them in an instant, and that from that moment they enjoy that inward and outward holiness to which they were once complete strangers. Maybe you're wrong about that; Perhaps you thought you had received what you did not receive. But I ask you not to measure all men alone; Don't imagine that you are the universal standard. If you were mistaken (which I am not yet claiming), you should not infer that everyone else does. Many think they are justified, and they are not; But we cannot infer that any of them are justified. Therefore not either, if many think they are "perfected in love," and are not, it will follow that none are so. Blessed be God, even if we leave a hundred enthusiasts aside, we are still "enveloped by a cloud of witnesses," who have witnessed, and testify, in life and in death, to that perfection which I have taught these forty years! This perfection cannot be an illusion unless the Bible is also an illusion; I mean, 'love God with all your heart and your neighbor as yourself.' I point out all his opponents of this definition. No evasion! Without changing the question! Where is the illusion of this? Either you received this love or you didn't; If you wanted to, you would dare to call it an illusion. You won't call it that all over the world. If you have received anything else, it does not affect the question at all. However delusional you may wish, it is nothing to those who have received something altogether different—namely, that deep communion with the Father and the Son, by which they are able to give you all their heart, to love every man as his own soul, and to walk as Christ also walked.

O Lawrence, if Sister Coughlan and you ever liked this, humble yourselves before God for casting him out; if you did not do it, God grant it to you (...)".[11]

 

To be all-powerful, all-wise, all-gracious

 

'This all-powerful, all-wise, all-gracious Being, this Ruler of all, loves me. This Lover of my soul is always with me, never absent — no, not for a moment

 

For Dr. Conyers Middleton

LONDON, January 4, 1749.

He is peculiarly and indescribably happy in the clearest and fullest conviction, 'This all-powerful, all-wise, all-gracious Being, this Ruler of all, loves me. That Lover of my soul is always with me, never absent—no, not for a moment. And I love Him: there is no one in heaven but You, none on earth that I desire but You! And He gave me to resemble Himself; He engraved His image on my heart. And I live for Him; I do only His will; I glorify him with my body and my spirit. And it will not be long before I die to Him; I will die in the arms of God. And then goodbye sin and pain; then it only remains for me to live with Him forever. [12]

 

Under the Shadow of the Almighty

 

I need to write; though where my letter will meet you, that I know not, only that it will be under the shadow of the Almighty—yes, in the arms of Him who loves you.

                                                           

For Howell Harris

LONDON, August 6, 1742.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- I must write; though where my letter will meet you, that I know not, only that it will be under the shadow of the Almighty—yes, in the arms of Him who loves you. Now, let Him cover your head on the day of battle! May his faithfulness and truth be your shield and your armorer! May He comfort your heart and, after a time of suffering, make you perfect, firm, strengthen, calm down!

I have just read his dated Trevecca, October 19, 1741. And of what we have discussed, to allow such perfection as you have here described, and every subsequent disputation I consider vain, and a mere disputation of words. On the other point, we agree (1) that no man can have power except it be given to him from above; (2) that no man can deserve anything other than hell, for all other merit is in the blood of the Lamb. On these two fundamental points, both you and I sincerely defend. Then, if we both renounce all power and merit in man, what need of this great gulf be fixed between us, brother, is thy heart with mine, as my heart is with thy heart. If so, give me your hand. I am indeed a poor, foolish, sinful worm; and how long my Lord will use me I do not know. Sometimes I think that the time is coming when He will leave me aside; for surely never before has He sent such a worker to such a harvest. But as long as I continue in the work, let us rise up together against the evildoers. We have not weakened, but (if it be the will of our Lord) let us strengthen one another's hands in God. My brother, my soul has gone to find you; Let's fall on each other. May the good Lord erase all that has passed, and may there be peace between you and me from now on! --I am, my dear brother, always yours.

PS.--Last Friday, my mother went home with a voice of praise and thanks. [See letter of July 31.]

 

A creature that the Almighty created for Himself

 

Allow me to speak to Your Lady with complete freedom; not as a person of quality, but as a creature whom the Almighty has created for Himself, and who in a few days must appear before Him

 

Introductory notes from the Lady Publishing HouseRawdon: 1760

LIVERPOOL., 18 March 1760.

MY MALADY,-- It was impossible to see the suffering into which Your Lady was thrown by the recent and unfortunate affair without enduring a part of it, without sympathizing with you. But let us not see God in him, let us not hear and understand His voice. We must admit that it is generally "small and quiet"; yet sometimes He speaks in the whirlwind. Allow me to speak to Your Lady with complete freedom; not as a person of quality, but as a creature whom the Almighty has created for Himself, and who in a few days must appear before Him.

You were not only nominal, but a true Christian. You have tasted the powers of the world to come. You knew that God the Father had accepted you through His eternal Son, and God the Spirit testified with His spirit that you were a child of God.

But you fell among thieves, and those who were particularly qualified to steal from you from your God. Two of them, in particular, were sensible, learned, well-educated, good-hearted, and moral men. They didn't attack you in a brusque, abrupt or offensive way. No; You would then have armed yourself against them and repelled all their attacks. But by soft, delicate, unnoticed touches, by pleasant strokes of railleria, by insinuations rather than ill-tempered arguments, they slowly undermined the basis of their faith—perhaps not only of their living faith, their 'evidence of things unseen,' but even of their notional. It's good if they left you at least an assent to the Bible or the belief that Christ is God above all Me And what was the consequence of that Didn't cool your love for God Didn't cool Didn't measure your steps back to earth Didn't revive your love for the world even the poor,   Little things that in your childhood you deeply hated

Where are you now, full of faith, looking at the holiest, and seeing the One who is invisible? Does your heart now shine with love for the One who daily pours out His benefits upon you? Do you even want that now? Now you say (as you did nearly twenty years ago),-- Keep me dead for everyone down there, Christ alone resolved to know; Steadfast, detached, and free, Seeking all my happiness in Thee It is now your taste for heavenly things Are you not a lover of pleasure any more than a lover of God And oh, what a pleasure! What is the pleasure of visiting modern conversations? Is there more reason than religion in it? I wonder what rational appetite does this satisfy? To leave religion altogether out of the question, I cannot conceive how a sensible woman can—delight herself, should say no, but suffer such insipid entertainment.

Oh, that the past time would suffice! Isn't it time for you to wake up from sleep? Now God calls out loud! My dear Lady, now hear the voice of the Son of God, and live! The troubles in which your tender father is now involved may restore all that reverence for her, which could not but be a little impaired, while you supposed her to be 'too fair.' Oh, how admirably God secures and 'strengthens the things that remain' in you--your gratitude, your human temper, your generosity, your filial tenderness! And why this is to improve every right temper; to free him from all that is irrational or profane; to make you all that you were—yes, all that you should be; restore you to the full image of God—I am, my Lady, Yours, etc. [13]

 

But that powerlessness in you can be an obstacle to God's almighty power

 

But that powerlessness in you can be a hindrance to God's almighty power. And what unworthiness can hinder the free love of God, His love in and through Christ Jesus, so that all the promises may be righteous before you

 

For Dorthy Furly

NEWCASTLE-UPON-TYNE, 14 June 1757.

You have reason to praise God for what He has done and to expect all that He has promised. In fact, if it were necessary for you to work this on yourself, your impotence could be an obstacle to your expectations; and so might be your unworthiness, if God required some merit from you in order that He would act in you. But that powerlessness in you can be a hindrance to God's almighty power. And what unworthiness can hinder the free love of God, His love in and through Christ Jesus, so that all the promises may be righteous before you. The land flowing with milk and honey, the Canaan of His perfect love, is open. Believe and enter!

It is an observation of one of the ancients that it is much easier not to desire praise than not to be satisfied with it. The benevolent conviction that it is, on the whole, a deadly poison may prevent us from desiring it; But nothing short of the humble love that fills the heart will prevent us from being satisfied with it, for the sense of honor is as natural to man as the sense of tasting or feeling. But when that which is spiritual is fully available, that which is corruptly natural will be eliminated.

Whatever enemies you have, all you need is a Friend more powerful than all of them. O let Him reign only in your heart! Do not spare in speaking freely with, dear Miss Helena. Furly,

His brother and affectionate servant. [14]

 

Almighty power can heal both your soul and your body

 

Despite all this, I have no doubt that I see you as a healthy and happy man. But it is true that nothing short of almighty power can heal both your soul and your body.

 

To Alexander Knox

PENRHYN, August 29,  1777.

MY DEAR ALLECK,-- You should read Mr. Fletcher's Essay on Truth. He has placed there, without any doubt, that there is a medium between a child of God and a child of the devil — that is, a servant of God. This is your state. You are not yet a son, but you are a servant; and you wait for the Spirit of adoption, who will cry out in your hearts, 'Abba, Father.' You have "received the Spirit of grace," and to some extent you accomplish righteousness. Without suffering for what you don't have, you have reason to bless God for what you have, and wait patiently for Him to give rest by revealing His Son in your heart.

Despite all this, I have no doubt that I see you as a healthy and happy man. But it is true that nothing short of almighty power can heal both your soul and your body. And isn't that enough? Do you have no reason to rejoice because 'salvation is from the Lord'? I pray, who can you trust best? Who loves you more than Him? Then out, in despair! Hope until the end. To Him I commend you all; and I am, dear Alleck,

With all the affection. [15]

 

Almighty Savior

 

But no one need perish; for we have an almighty Savior, one who is able and willing to save to the utmost all who have come to God through Him

To Samuel Sparrow

LONDON, December 28, 1773.

DEAR SIR,-- As for the head of the Authority, we fully agree. Our guides are Scripture and reason. We also agree that preachers who 'relax our obligation to the moral virtues, who condemn holiness as filthy rags, who teach men that easy and palatable way to heaven, of faith without works,' cannot easily fail to have a multitude of hearers; and that, therefore, it is not surprising that a large number of people throng in the church of Blackfriars and in the chapel of the Lock [William Romaine was Dean of St. Anne's, Blackfriars, from 1766 to 1795. Martin Madan was chaplain of Lock Hospital from 1750 to 1780; he published Thelyphthora, in favor of polygamy, in 1780].

There is also "only reason to accuse the preachers, both there and in the Tabernacle, of a grievous lack of charity." For most of them categorically hold all who do not believe as they believe are in a state of condemnation, all who do not believe in that absolute decree of election, which necessarily implies absolute reprobation.

But no one was induced to listen to my brother and me or those connected with us by such means as these: the contrary. We start from two principles: (1) No one goes to heaven without holiness of heart and life; (2) whoever comes after this (whatever his opinions) is my 'brother, sister, and mother.' And to this day, we have not deviated a hair from one of these two cases.

Thus, two young men without a name, without friends, without power or fortune, 'left the College with principles totally different from those of the common people', to face the whole world, learned and uneducated; to 'combat popular prejudices' of all kinds. Our first principle directly attacked all evil, the second all prejudice in the world. Thus they attempted a reform, not of opinions (penalties, trivialities that are not worth a name), but of the temperaments and lives of men; of addiction of all kinds; of everything that is contrary to justice, mercy, or truth. And that is why they carried their lives in their hands, that both the great vulgar and the little ones saw them as mad dogs and treated them as such; sometimes saying in terms, 'No one's going to hit this mad dog over the head'

Let each one then speak as to find it; As for me, I can admire neither the wisdom, nor the virtue, nor the happiness of humanity. Wherever I have been, I have met most of humanity, Christian and heathen, deplorably ignorant, cruel, and miserable. I'm sure it did in London and Westminster. Sin and pain are everywhere. And who can account for this but by the supposition that we are in a fallen state, I have amply proved that it cannot be explained otherwise. But no one need perish; for we have an all-powerful Saviour, one who is able and willing to save to the utmost all who have come to God through Him. "I am, dear sir, Your affectionate servant. [16]

 

Only He who is all-powerful is able to break the bonds

 

I congratulate you on your release. It's not a small one. Only He who is all-powerful has been able to break these bonds.

 

For Thomas Roberts

LONDON, February 12, 1789.

DEAR TOMMY, -- You really send me good news. I congratulate you on your release. [See letter of January 18, 1788 to him.] It's not a small one. Only He who is all-powerful has been able to break these bonds. Many years ago, I was in the exact same case; and at that moment, when I came to these words in the Lesson of the day, 'Son of man, behold, I take away from thee the desire of thine eyes with one blow,' [See letter of February 14, 1786.] I was quite astonished and couldn't read a word at that moment. But then I realized that God was wiser than I was.

It seems to me that you have drawn the right conclusion from this remarkable providence. Surely God now gives you a strong call to dedicate yourself to God in a single life. I advise you to read the Notes on 1 Corinthians 7 with great prayer. And remember the wise direction of Kempis, [Book I. chap. viii.] 'Avoid all good women and entrust them to God.' --I am, dear Tommy,

Your affectionate brother. [17]

 

God certainly acts as a Sovereign

 

And yet to the same point: for we must not imagine that such a degree of suffering is necessary to any degree of holiness. In this respect, God certainly acts as a Sovereign; giving what He wants, and by what means He wants. I believe that the holiest man who ever lived was the Apostle John; Still, it seems to have suffered very little

 

To John Valton

LONDON, January 18, 1782.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- I received the first two leaves of your life. Don't be afraid to write too much; I can easily leave out what can be saved. It pleased God to guide John Haime and you a long way through the desert. Others He leads by a shorter and smoother path; And yet to the same point: for we must not imagine that such a degree of suffering is necessary to any degree of holiness. In this respect, God certainly acts as a Sovereign; giving what He wants, and by what means He wants. I believe that the holiest man who ever lived was the Apostle John; Still, it seems to have suffered very little.

You must take care never to write for too long, and always to write standing up; Never, in any way, support yourself on your stomach. God gives me exactly the strength I had thirty years ago. I cannot allow John Sellars [See letter of January 7.] to continue to be a leader; and if he leads the class, whether I like it or not, I demand that you expel him from our Society. If twenty of their class are also going to leave the Society, they should leave. The first defeat is the best. Better forty members must be lost than our lost discipline. They are not Methodists who cannot stand restrictions. Explain this in a general way to the Society. -- I am

Your affectionate friend and brother. [18]

 

God is sovereign: He can make as many exceptions as He wants to His general rule

 

And God is sovereign: He can make whatever exceptions He wants to His general rule. Therefore, this objection is easily dismissed; And so is his age. The Spirit of the Lord can give understanding in both a longer time and a shorter time

 

To Maria Bishop

LONDON, November 22, 1769.

MY DEAR SISTER,-- It is extremely strange. I should really ask myself (if I could ask myself about any weakness of human nature) that a woman as good as Lady Huntingdon, and who is especially concerned about her Catholic spirit, should be guilty of such narrow-mindedness. Let him teach us a better lesson! [Henry Venn was then preaching to packed audiences in the chapel of the Countess of Huntingdon in Bath. See the letter of December 26.] Let us not deviate in thought or word from the old Methodist principle: 'He who does the will of my Father which is in heaven is my brother, my sister, and my mother.'

We have other cases of people who now enjoy the peace of God and, even so, do not know the moment when they received it. And God is sovereign: He can make whatever exceptions He wants to His general rule. Therefore, this objection is easily dismissed; And so is his age. The Spirit of the Lord can give understanding in both a longer time and a shorter time. And I doubt that He will give you favor in the eyes of your sisters. You just need to move forward, doing God's will from the heart and trusting in the anointing of the Holy One to teach you, right away.

I'm glad you meet Miss Helena. Owens. [Wesley says on September 16, 1772: 'I went to Publow, which today is what Leytonstone once was. Here is a family indeed. Such lovers, and such a company of children, as, I believe, the whole of England can have no parallel!' See Diary v. 484; and letter of August 22, 1772.] Encourage one another to be true Christians. Challenging fashion and customs, and only manpower

To direct their useful lives below

By reason and grace.

Not that the lady entrenches herself over the Christian; but be a simple follower of the Lamb.

I hope to hear soon what has happened since you last wrote. And I hope you will always speak without reservation, my dear sister,

Your affectionate brother.

For Miss Helena. Bishop, in the vineyard, Bath. [19]

 

 



[1] https://jamespedlar.ca/2012/02/23/john-wesley-on-the-character-of-god/

[2] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[3] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[4]https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/eng/wen/1-peter-1.html

[5] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[6]https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/eng/wen/1-peter-1.html

[7] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1760/  

[8] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1746/  

[9] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1759/  

[10] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1749/  

[11] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1768/ 

[12] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1749/  

[13] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1760/  

[14] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1757/  

[15] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1777/

[16] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1773/

[17] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/  

[18] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1782/

[19] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1769/

 

 

Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas deste blog