The preacher that Wesley recognized his worth
Wesley's Letters to Thomas Rankin
Odilon
Massolar Chaves
Copyright
© 2026, Odilon Massolar Chaves
All rights
reserved to the author.
It is
allowed to read, copy and share for free.
Article
184 of the Penal Code and Law 96710 of February 19, 1998.
Books
published in the Wesleyan Digital Library: 864
Books
published by the author: 904
Cover:
https://www.facebook.com/MooreMethodistMuseum/posts/thomas-rankin-presided-over-the-first-annual-methodist-conference-in-the-america/1678430184291908/
Odilon
Massolar Chaves is a retired Methodist pastor, with a doctorate in Theology and
History from the Methodist University of São Paulo.
Son of
Rev. Adherico Ribeiro Chaves and Roza Massolar Chaves.
He is
married to RoseMary.
He has two
daughters: Liliana and Luciana.
His thesis
dealt with the Methodist revival in England in the eighteenth century and its
contribution as a paradigm for our days.
Table of Contents
· Introduction
· About Thomas Rankin
· Wesley's Guidelines for Thomas Rankin
· I trust that God sent you there for the sake
of others and your own soul
· You were supposed to act as an assistant in
Sussex
· You can do it too, if you choose the same
method
· Give this proof of your love for the truth,
for the people, and for your affectionate friend and brother
· You should sleep at least six hours out of
twenty-four, at once or twice
· Gentleness, coupled with simplicity of
speech, will have an influence upon honest Brother Jones
· You just need to move on
· They almost always neglect fasting
· I'll tell you what comes to mind
· Let Brother Shadford, Asbury, and you go hand
in hand, and who can oppose you?
· Pleasant Account of Your Little Conference in
Philadelphia
· To appoint in America one or more general
days of fasting and prayer
· Christians and civil strife
·
I
think he's more likely to be a true Christian than the others
·
Peace between England and the Colonies
· Such a good understanding between Jemmy
Dempster and you
· I don't regret that Brother Asbury stays with
you another year
·
You must come up with a full and clear
explanation
· I hope
that the case of Brother M'Nab does not need to be mentioned again
============================
Introduction
"The Preacher Wesley Recognized His
Worth" is a 31-page book based on Wesley's letters to Thomas Rankin.
Thomas Rankin had "a
relationship of deep trust and administrative closeness with John Wesley".
[1]
His uncompromising
character brought him into conflict with some of the Methodist leaders, but
Wesley always valued him, as he saw his piety, dedication, faithfulness,
discipline, and honesty.[2]
To his brother Charles, on
August 3, 1771, Wesley said, "DEAR BROTHER,-- I will not throw T. Rankin
away for the people of London. He will go where they know his worth." [3]
In his letters, Wesley
called him "My dear Tommy." A friendship arose between the two.
To Thomas Rankin, on
November 2, 1764, Wesley said, "Spare no effort. Make an effort. See what
you can do. Give this proof of your love for the truth, for the people and for
your affectionate friend and brother." [4]
For 12 years, it was
itinerant in England. Afterward, Wesley appointed him as general superintendent
of the Methodist societies in America.
Thomas Rankin presided over
the first Methodist Annual Conference in the American colonies in Philadelphia
in 1773.
In the American War of
Independence (1775–1783), Wesley wrote him a series of letters, especially in
1775.
He had a strict stance on
discipline and went on a collision course with several people. Thomas Rankin
stayed in America until 1778.
"In the last decade of
Wesley's life, Rankin was part of the select 'inner cabinet' of senior
preachers who advised him on vital decisions of the movement." [5]
An example of an investment
and appreciation of a preacher who was not so admired by his colleagues in the
ministry because of his strong discipline, but who had all the support of
Wesley.
The Author
============================
About
Thomas Rankin
He was a truly pious man,
but severe in discipline.
"He was born in
Dunbar, Scotland, in 1738. He was trained religiously by his parents. and, from
an early age, he expressed the desire to become a minister of the Gospel. After
his father's death, he made bad friends and indulged in worldly entertainments.
When he was seventeen, Dunbar was visited by troops of dragoons, among whom
were several devout Christians, who held meetings in the morning and evening.
Young Rankin attended and was deeply impressed. He afterwards removed to
Edinburgh, where he came under the personal influence of Mr. Whitefield, and
decided to devote himself to Christian work."[6]
After hearing Wesley
preach, "Wesley advised him to persevere in his religious work, and so
dispelled his doubts that he expressed his willingness to be known everywhere
'as a poor and despised Methodist preacher.'" [7]
His ministry as an
itinerant preacher to Wesley began in 1761.[8] He
was appointed in 1761 to the Sussex Circuit and, the following year, to the
Sheffield Circuit. [9]
He was appointed in the
following years to other circuits.
"It didn't take long
for John Wesley to
realize what he had in Thomas Rankin. Thomas was a lover of strict religious
discipline." [10]
To Wesley, he was a good
leader.
Wesley and Rankin became
friends.
"On April 9, 1773,
Rankin left England specially chosen and commissioned by his chief to reform
American Methodism. As 'assistant general and superintendent'.[11]
The appointment was made
together with George Shadford.
"Soon after his
arrival, Rankin convened a conference, the first held in America, on July 4,
1773, in Philadelphia. Asbury had already been appointed and sent as general
assistant to the societies in America." [12]
In America, "he held
the office of 'general assistant' while there, and presided over the
conferences that were held while he was in America. He was posted alternately
in New York and Philadelphia." [13]
He remained in America until 1778, when he returned to England. [14]
"Immediately after his
return to England, he was posted to London, where he lived for two years. In
1783, he asked to be appointed supernumerary; and after that date, he lived
quietly in the English metropolis until his death, on May 17, 1810".[15]
Wesley's Guidelines for Thomas Rankin
"
John Wesley's letters to Thomas Rankin record correspondence between the
British Methodist leader and one of his leading itinerant pastors and
assistants in England and North America during the eighteenth century." [16]
To Thomas Rankin, on 20
March 1762, Wesley wrote: "You should act as an assistant in Sussex.
Therefore, see that our Rules are observed everywhere; and spread our books
wherever you go." [17]
The
context of the correspondence
Who was Thomas Rankin: A
Methodist preacher with a strict and disciplined profile (influenced by his
upbringing) to whom Wesley entrusted prominent leadership positions, including
being sent as general superintendent to oversee the advancement of Methodism in
the American colonies in the 1770s." [18]
To Thomas Rankin, on December 4, 1773, Wesley stated, "That is why you are sent. Let Brother Shadford, Asbury, and you go hand in hand, and who can oppose you? Why, you are enough, trusting in the one who loves you, to turn America around. Go in his name and in the power of his power, and all his enemies will be counted liars." [19]
Contents of the letters: The
texts deal with practical pastoral guidelines, circuit management, distribution
of religious literature, warnings against loss of spiritual zeal, and the
maintenance of internal discipline of the movement."[20]
To
Thomas Rankin, on July 21, 1774, Wesley requested, "Give me a pleasant
account of your little Conference in Philadelphia. I think G. Shadford and you
do not want novelty, but love good old Methodist discipline and doctrine."
[21]
Wesley's
letters to Thomas Rankin reveal a whole trust and friendship:
I trust that God sent you there for the sake
of others and your own soul
Go to Sussex again. And you can continue in
this circuit until another preacher comes along. I trust that God sent you
there for the sake of others and your own soul
To Thomas Rankin
LONDON, February 20, 1762.
MY
DEAR BROTHER,-- Go to Sussex again. And you can continue in this circuit until
another preacher comes along. I trust that God sent you there for the sake of
others and your own soul. Please be accurate in observing and applying all of
our Company Rules. Then you will see more and more fruits of your labor.--I am
your affectionate brother. [22]
You were supposed to act as an assistant in
Sussex
To
Thomas Rankin
BRISTOL,
March
20, 1762.
MY DEAR BROTHER,-- You
should act as an assistant in Sussex. Therefore, see that our Rules are
observed everywhere; and spread our books wherever you go, especially Kempis,
Primitive Physics, and Instructions for Children. [See letters of February 20,
1762, and September 21, 1764.]
Before the end of the eight
weeks, the Societies will be able to guarantee a horse for you. Oh, keep it
simple! Be a child before God -- I am His affectionate brother. Read and pray a
lot. To Mr. Thomas Rankin, at Mr. Barker's house, in Sevenoaks, Kent. [23]
You can do it too, if you choose the same method
You can do it too, if you choose the same method. Take
one type of book the first time you go around, another the second time, and so
on. Preach on the subject in each place; and after the preworking work,
encourage the congregation to purchase and read the booklet.
To Thomas Rankin
BRISTOL, September
21, 1764.
DEAR TOMMY,--I
sometimes wonder that all our preachers are not convinced of this—that it is
indescribable to spread our practical tracts throughout society. Billy
Penington, in one year, sold more of these in Cornwall than had been sold for
seven years earlier. You can do it too, if you choose the same method. Take one
type of book the first time you go around, another the second time, and so on.
Preach on the subject in each place; and after the preworking work, encourage
the congregation to purchase and read the booklet.
Neither James
Mitchell nor William Thomas were blameless. We must take into account when they
tell their own story; But if they are now well behaved, that is all we desire.
A few years ago,
something was done the way you mentioned regarding Brother Triggs. I remember
two or three of our brethren from the West coming to London, recommended by
Billy Roberts. The details he can best inform, as well as the success they had.
Peace be with your spirit--I am your affectionate friend and brother. [24]
Give this proof of
your love for the truth, for the people, and for your affectionate friend and brother
Spare no effort. Make an effort. See what you can do. Give this proof of
your love for the truth, for the people, and for your affectionate friend and
brother
To Thomas
Rankin
LONDON, November 2, 1764.
MY DEAR BROTHER,-- At
the request of several of our preachers, I have finally summarized Goodwin's
Treatise on Justification. I trust that this will shut the mouths of the
contradictors about imputed righteousness, and teach them (at least the most
sincere) to speak like the oracles of God.
I wish you to read
the proposal and the preface in all the Societies of your circuit; Then,
enforce this, as you see best, both in public and private conversations. Spare
no effort. Make an effort. See what you can do. Give this proof of your love
for the truth, for the people, and for your affectionate friend and brother.
N.B.--Be careful to keep an exact list of the names of all the subscribers in
each Society, and also to leave a copy with the person who takes care of the
books. [25]
You should sleep at
least six hours out of twenty-four, at once or twice
Lack of sleep can
cause hoarseness. You should sleep at least six hours in twenty-four, at one
time or twice. For hoarseness, see Primitive Medicine; And try, one after the
other, if necessary, the garlic, the apple, the preserves and the balsam
To Thomas Rankin
LONDON, December 15,
1764.
DEAR TOMMY,--I will
send a man to W. Darney [See letter of November 6.] who is as hard as
himself—that is, T. Bryant. But it has changed a lot for the better, and I
think it won't shock you now. You don't really have to be very close to each
other: Cornwall is wide enough. Otherwise, let T. Bryant stay in Devonshire and
Peter Price move west. [Price was admitted to trial as a preacher in August,
1765.] John Catermole remains steadfast in Kingswood and can't get far.
I wish you could
conquer J. Paynter too. And who knows, Love can do that.
I don't know how
you're going to get Goodwin subscribers [See letters of November 2 and December
31.] while you're pressing the general subscription.--I am, dear Tommy, your
affectionate friend. [26]
Gentleness, coupled with simplicity of speech, will
have an influence upon honest Brother Jones
Kindness, coupled with simplicity of speech, will have
an influence upon honest Brother Jones. I counsel that you gradually remove all
leaders and administrators who do not cordially love Methodist doctrine and discipline
To Thomas Rankin
OVINGTON, January 13,
1765.
DEAR TOMMY,-- I will
give you one month from today to give a fair judgment of William Darney,
regardless of whether he walks according to our Rules or not; if not, we must
separate. But if he preferred, he could go to the Wiltshire Round, [Darney went
to the London circuit in September.] where he now lacks a preacher. T. Bryant
is no longer in connection with us. [See previous letter.] I'm glad you let me
know about Richard Austen. I trust that it will soon put them in the Dock.
Kindness, coupled with simplicity of speech, will have an influence upon honest
Brother Jones. [See letter of June 9.] I counsel you to gradually remove all
leaders and administrators who do not cordially love Methodist doctrine and
discipline.--Dear Tommy, your affectionate friend and brother. Please send my
greetings to Brother Mallon of the Society of the Week of Mary. I thank him for
his letter, and I urge him to stand firm in the liberty with which Christ has
set him free. To Mr. Rankin, at the home of Mr. John Andrews, in Redruth,
Cornwall. Per Gloucester, [27]
You just need to move
on
You just need to move on, with affection, and
overcome evil with good
To Thomas Rankin
LONDON, February 9, 1765.
DEAR TOMMY,-- I have
not much more to add to my last year, but I have written to Sister Jane and the
Wharf leaders in the same sense as I wrote to James Stevens and to you in St.
Austell. You just need to move on, with affection, and overcome evil with good.--I
am, dear Tommy, yours affectionately. To Mr. Rankin, at the home of Mr. Wood,
shopkeeper, at Port Isaac, near Camelford, Cornwall. [28]
They almost always
neglect fasting
They almost always neglect fasting.
The preaching houses
are miserable, even the new ones. They have neither light nor air enough; And
they're too low and too small. Look at the Yarm house
To Thomas Rankin
ST. JOHN'S, September
11, 1765.
DEAR TOMMY,-- There
is good work in Cornwall. But where the big work happens, well, we must take
care to be exact in the little things.
I'll tell you several
of these as soon as they come to my mind. Grace Paddy, in Redruth, met in the
selected society, although she wore a large sparkly necklace and did not know
any rings.
They sing all over
Cornwall, a melody so full of repetitions and flourishes that it can hardly be
sung with devotion. It is to these words: Praise the Lord, blessed ones. You
can leave! Listen no more.
They can't sing our
old ordinary melodies. Teach these everywhere. Be careful here.
Societies do not
receive half as many books; not even with the Letters of Jane Cooper, or the
two or three Sermons I printed last year; No, not with the hymnn—Book or
Primitive Physics.
They almost always
neglect fasting.
The preaching houses
are miserable, even the new ones. They have neither light nor air enough; And
they're too low and too small. Look at the Yarm house.
I recommend the Notes
on the Old Testament with great sincerity. Every Society, as a Society, must
sign. Remind them everywhere that two, four, or six can get together for a copy
and take the money to the leader weekly.
We need to
use all the common sense God has given us, as well as all grace.--I am, dear
Tommy, your affectionate friend and brother.[29]
I'll tell
you what comes to mind
I'll tell
you what comes to mind. Many of our brothers have chosen to sign ten, five,
three, two guineas or less annually. I doubt not, but they will happily pay the
rest of the subscription, and perhaps some of them will contribute a little to
it, for they see what a great opportunity there is for it
To Thomas Rankin
LONDON, December 1,
1768.
MY DEAR BROTHER,--
Last year Mr. H. [See letter of November 24, 1767.] was very much convinced
that by means of the Annual Subscription all our debt in excess of eleven
thousand pounds would be paid in two years. Many of our brothers were even more
optimistic. They were convinced that if they put in generous effort and handed
over a large sum at once, it would be paid back within a year. I didn't expect
this; but I would not contradict them, because I would not discourage them. The
event was as I predicted. By the noble effort that many of our brethren have
made, most of the urgent debts have already been discharged, amounting to
nearly five thousand pounds.
But a debt in excess
of seven thousand pounds still remains upon us; and what can be done about it
I'll tell you what
comes to mind. Many of our brothers have chosen to sign ten, five, three, two
guineas or less annually. I doubt not, but they will happily pay the remainder
of the subscription, and perhaps some of them will contribute a little to it, for
they see what a great occasion there is for it. Some delayed signing or
contributing because they 'wanted to see the event,' thinking that the project
was impractical and that nothing would 'work.' As it now appears that great
good has come out of it, that many burthens have already been removed, I cannot
but earnestly urge all of them now, at least, to support themselves in the
work. Now, at least, let them strive for my sake, for the gospel, and for their
still afflicted brethren who groan under a burden which they cannot bear well,
and yet cannot take away without our help.
Several contributed
generously at once in the hope of paying off the entire debt; Nothing more can
be required of them than their prayers for others to be as open as themselves.
However, if of their own good will they deem it good to add a little to their
former benefit, this as well as the former is lent to the Lord, and what they
establish will be paid back to them again.
Shall I not add that
there have been some of our brethren who have not lived up to my expectations?
I knew they could help me a lot; and I deluded myself into thinking that they
were no less willing than able, for they also owed me their own souls, and this
was the first favour of the kind I asked of them.
Allow me to say
nothing more of what has already happened. Let them now abandon all excuses and
objections, and show that they love me, me, and their brethren, and the work of
God not only in word, but in deed and in truth.
Let me rejoice for
you, my brother, especially. You have a measure of the goods of this world.
See, your brother has need. I need your help, since my brothers' burths are
mine. Do not go through the other side, but come and help as God has allowed
you. Do all you can to lighten the work and strengthen the hands of
Your affectionate
brother. [An identical letter, addressed to Mr. Mark Middleton, was in the
hands of Mr. George Stampe, dated December 7, 1768.] [30]
Let
Brother Shadford, Asbury, and you go hand in hand, and who can oppose you?
To
Thomas Rankin
LONDON, December 4, 1773.
DEAR
TOMMY,--Captain Webb does not lie on purpose, but speaks recklessly; so that we
must give great consideration to this whenever he speaks, otherwise we shall be
deceived. But where is he now, and what is he doing? I'm afraid his wife needs
patience.
If
you allow someone to remain a leader who does not remain in the Society, it
will be your fault. Unsuitable leaders should not be tolerated by any charge.
You must also deal honestly with the Societies, whether they want to listen or
abstain. Just don't continually tell them 'You're dead', as this will surely
make them so. Strive to nourish their hope by speaking firmly and, at the same
time, joyfully. Urge them to look for better days —yes, such as they have never
seen until now.
I
believe George Shadford will do well in New York. Robert Williams also for a
while.
You
have hurt yourself by giving in to reason, and if you do not take care of
yourself, you will hurt others. There was much good done in America, and it
would have been much more if Brother Boardman and Pilmoor had continued to be
genuine Methodists, both in doctrine and in discipline. It is their role to
provide what was lacking in them. That's why you're sent. Let Brother
Shadford, Asbury, and you go hand in hand, and who can oppose you? Why, you are
enough, trusting in the one who loves you, to turn America around. Go in his
name and in the power of his power, and all his enemies will be counted liars.
Read
David Brainerd again and see his pattern! He was a good soldier of Jesus. Ah!
but first he suffered, and then he saw the fruit of his labor. Go and do the same!
I
wrote to Robert Williams and gave him permission to print the Notes on my
account; Nothing alone. I didn't know he did it until later.
Be
brave! Strengthen yourself in the Lord, and you will see good days and send
better tidings to, dear Tommy, your affectionate friend and brother. [31]
Pleasant
Account of Your Little Conference in Philadelphia
Give
me a pleasant account of your little Conference in Philadelphia. I think G. Shadford
and you do not desire novelty, but love good old Methodist discipline and
doctrine
To
Thomas Rankin
EPWORTH, July 21, 1774.
DEAR TOMMY,-- On your May
30th you give me a pleasant report of your little Conference in Philadelphia. I
think G. Shadford and you do not desire novelty, but love good old Methodist
discipline and doctrine. Lately I've been thinking a lot about a point, which
maybe we were all missing. We made no rule, so that people were justified,
reminding them that they must follow on to perfection. While this is exactly
the preferred time over all others. They then have the simplicity of small
children, and are fervent in spirit, ready to cut off their right hand or pluck
out their right eye. But if we once let that fervor wane, it will be hard
enough to bring them back to this point.--I am, etc. [32]
To
appoint in America one or more general days of fasting and prayer
Shouldn't
you appoint in America (as we do in England and Ireland) one or more general
days of fasting and prayer
To
Thomas Rankin
Clonmain,
near Armagh, June 13, 1775.
DEAR
TOMMY,--I am afraid that our correspondence for the future will be more
uncertain than ever, since the sword has been drawn; and it is better that they
have not thrown away the hem on either side. What will be the end of these
things, whether in Europe or America? There seems to be great confusion and
suffering, as if neither we nor our parents knew it. But it is enough that
everything be in glory to God, peace and good will among men.
I'm
sorry for poor T--- R---. I hoped that God had completely healed his setback,
and lifted his head so that he would not fall any more. But the case is not yet
hopeless; You should not in any way give it away. Rarely have I met a habitual
drunkard finally recover before he has relapsed more than once or twice. Your
point is: first save him from the occasions of sin, then urge him not to take
away hope. Nothing but that, the desperation to conquer, can utterly destroy
him. As long as he retains the faintest hope, he will fight against sin.
Should
you not appoint in America (as we do in England and Ireland) one or more
general days of fasting and prayer—I am, dear Tommy,
Your
affectionate friend and brother. [33]
Christians and civil strife
To Thomas Rankin
[Charles Wesley also wrote
to Rankin.]
March 1, 1775.
MY DEAR BROTHER,-- To save
expense, I have delayed replying to your letter; but I always keep you in my
heart, and I rejoice when the Lord blesses you successfully. He bestows grace,
more grace, on the humble; therefore, wrestle with Him out of deep humility.
As for public affairs, I
want you to think the same way I do. I am not on either side, and yet on both;
on the New England and Old side. Private Christians are dismissed, exempt,
privileged, so as not to participate in civil strife. We love everyone and pray
for everyone with a sincere and impartial love. There may be flaws on both
sides; but those which neither you nor I can remedy: therefore let us and all
our children be given up to prayer, and so stand still and see the salvation of
God. My compliments to Captain Webb when you see him, and to Mr. Bowden, to
whom I owe letters and much love. Show yours for me by praying more for me and
mine. Yours in old love. [34]
I think he's more likely to
be a true Christian than the others
I am afraid that Mr. B---
is a weak brother, a little enlightened in his understanding and with a kind of
faith. But I would rather be in the case of poor T--- R--- than his. I think
he's more likely to be a true Christian than the others
To
Thomas Rankin, in America
BALLINROBE, May 19, 1775.
DEAR TOMMY,-- That letters
travel very slowly from us to America is a great nuisance. But it is even
greater that they travel with so much uncertainty; sometimes arriving too late,
sometimes not even arriving.
I doubt not, but Brother
Asbury and you will be friends of separation: I hope to see you at the
Conference. He is a very upstanding man. I'm afraid he'll do the job more
happily when he's a certain distance away from me.
We must speak the plain
truth wherever we are, whether men hear or abstain. And among our Societies we
must impose our Rules with all calmness and firmness. At first this must seem
strange to those who are like oxen and are not accustomed to the yoke. But in
time, all this desire to be true Christians sees the advantage of this.
There has never been a time
when it was more necessary for all who fear God, in England as well as in
America, to awaken the gift of God that is in them, and to wrestle with God in
mighty prayer. In all other judgments of God, the inhabitants of the earth
learn justice. When a land is visited by famine, plague, or earthquake, people
commonly see and recognize God's hand. But wherever war breaks out, God is
forgotten, if he is not placed in open defiance. What a glorious work of God
was in Cambuslang and Kilsyth from 1740 to 1744! But the war that followed
nipped everything in the bud and left almost no trace behind; so much so that
when I diligently inquired a few years later, I could not find any who would
maintain the life of God--I am, my dear Tommy,
Your affectionate friend
and brother. [35]
Peace between England and the Colonies
It is not improbable that peace will be
restored between England and the Colonies. But certainly the current dubious
situation can be improved for the benefit of many.
LONDON, March 1, 1775.
DEAR TOMMY,-- I think the
March package will do just as well as the April one; then I answer without
delay.
As soon as possible, you
should come up with a full and clear explanation, both with Brother Asbury (if
he is recovered) and with Jemmy Dempster. But I advise Brother Asbury to return
to England at the first opportunity.
Now there is a probability
that God will hear the prayer and turn Ahithophel's advice into foolishness. It
is not improbable that peace will be restored between England and the Colonies.
But certainly the current dubious situation can be improved for the benefit of
many. They may be strongly urged now 'to break away their sins by repentance,
if it be a prolongation of their tranquillity.' --I am, my dear Tommy,
Your affectionate friend
and brother.
PS.--To-morrow I intend to
set out for Ireland.
I add a phrase to all
preachers: ---[36]
Such
a good understanding between Jemmy Dempster and you
I'm
glad there's such a good understanding between Jemmy Dempster and you. He is a
man of integrity and, unless I am greatly mistaken, a friend of both Methodist
doctrine and discipline
To
Thomas Rankin
PORTARLINGTON, April 21,
1775.
DEAR TOMMY,-- I'm glad
there's such a good understanding between Jemmy Dempster and you. He is a man
of integrity, and, unless I am greatly mistaken, a friend of both Methodist
doctrine and discipline.
I'm sorry for poor T---
R---. It is certain that God lifted up his head, and I hoped that his
tormenting sin would no longer gain dominion over him. However, you should by
no means give it away. And he needs much more comfort than reprimand. Its great
danger is despair.
Brother Asbury has sent me
a few lines, and I thank you for them. But I don't advise him to go to Antigua.
Let him return home without delay. If one or two robust and healthy young men
would volunteer for this service, I would have no objection; but no one should
go unless he was fully convinced in his own mind.
You are a bold man, Tommy,
to begin to be an author in these critical times. I wish that success can meet
your expectation; There is a call for all help. I fear that he will soon find a
day of judgment; the clouds are black over both England and America. It's good
that this summer goes by without some bloodshed. And if the storm starts in
America, it will soon spread to Britain.
I have a friendly letter
from ---, who writes warmly against ---. Please remember my love for him and
his wife. I'm glad to find that he's still walking the good old way. He sends
me notice that one or two men of fortune have gone out to preach the gospel. If
they are, I expect little from them. God chose the weak to confound the strong.
Keep going, doing and
suffering the will of our Lord-- I am, dear Tommy,
Your affectionate friend
and brother.
For Richard Morgan, Esq.,
No. 35 Stephen's Green,
Dublin. [37]
I don't regret that Brother
Asbury stays with you another year
I don't regret that Brother
Asbury stays with you another year. At that time it will be seen what God will
do with America, and you will easily judge whether our preachers are called to
remain there any longer. If they are, God will make their way clear and give
you favor even with men who delight in war
To Thomas Rankin
LONDON, August 13, 1775.
DEAR TOMMY,--I still don't
give up---- R---- yet; it is not beyond God's reach.
I don't regret that Brother
Asbury stays with you another year. At that time it will be seen what God will
do with America, and you will easily judge whether our preachers are called to
remain there any longer. If they are, God will make their way clear, and give
them favor even with men who delight in war. Even in Rome's Civil War, Atticus
held firm the esteem of both warring parties. And the Archbishop of Cambray
also did during the War in the Low Countries; Not only the officers, but also
the common soldiers, when they passed, treated him with love and consideration.
The clouds actually gather more and more, and it looks like a strong storm is
going to follow; It certainly will, unless the prayers of the faithful get
longer relief.
'The preachers at the
bottom of all this clamor' No, indeed; nor any of the Americans. They are just
tools of the men on this side of the water, who use them for deadly purposes.
The plan is profound, and the wise men of the world imagine that it cannot fail
to succeed. But I trust that Someone wiser than them will yet turn Atithophel's
advice into foolishness.
A few weeks ago, I was on
the verge of death in the north of Ireland. But the fever felt His touch and
fled. And now I'm exactly as I was before everything happened. You did well to
take the books to a safe place, if any like that can be found in America. No
wonder that the spirits of men who do not know God are sharpened to madness,
that human creatures become and begin to be lions and bears; This is the true
fruit of war! Surely, if they chase in one city, you should flee to another.
Peace be upon your spirits.--I am
Your affectionate friend
and brother. [38]
You must come up with a full and clear
explanation
As soon as possible, you should come to a
full and clear explanation, both with Brother Asbury (if he is recovered) and
with Jemmy Dempster
To Thomas Rankin
LONDON, March 1, 1775.
DEAR TOMMY,-- I think the
March package will do just as well as the April one; then I answer without
delay.
As soon as possible, you
should come up with a full and clear explanation, both with Brother Asbury (if
he is recovered) and with Jemmy Dempster. But I advise Brother Asbury to return
to England at the first opportunity.
Now there is a probability
that God will hear the prayer and turn Ahithophel's advice into foolishness. It
is not improbable that peace will be restored between England and the Colonies.
But certainly the current dubious situation can be improved for the benefit of
many. They may be strongly urged now 'to break away their sins by repentance,
if it be a prolongation of their tranquillity.' --I am, my dear Tommy,
Your affectionate friend
and brother.
PS.--Tomorrow I intend to
leave for Ireland.
I add a phrase to all
preachers: ---[39]
I hope that the case of Brother M'Nab does not need to
be mentioned again
To Thomas
Rankin
NEWCASTLE-UPON-TYNE,
29 May 1780.
DEAR
TOMMY,-- I hope that the case of Brother M'Nab does not need to be mentioned
any more. But I would be sorry if there were any foundation for this account
that John Bristol was for Calvinists.
Betsy must
be a Christian, or spend her whole life suffering and feeling weakness; our
Lord will not let her go. I'm striving to shorten all my travels, so that I can
have a little time to spend in London before the Conference. My route is: Mond.
June 5, York; Mond. 12, Gainsborough, Lincolnshire; Mond. 19, Louth; Mond. 26,
Doncaster, Yorkshire; Mond. July 3, Derby; Frid. 7, London.--I am, with
affection to Sister Rankin, dear Tommy,
Your
affectionate brother.
To Mr.
Rankin, at the Court of Artillery, Near the Moor Fields, London. [40]
[1] Overview of Google's AI Mode
[2]
https://www.a1historydunbar.com/life-times1---thomas-rankin.php
[3]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[4]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1764/
[5] Overview of Google's AI Mode
[6]
https://www.biblicalcyclopedia.com/R/rankin-thomas.html
[7]
https://www.biblicalcyclopedia.com/R/rankin-thomas.html
[8]https://www.francisasburytriptych.com/thomas-rankin/
[9]
https://www.biblicalcyclopedia.com/R/rankin-thomas.html
[10]https://www.francisasburytriptych.com/thomas-rankin/
[11]
https://www.a1historydunbar.com/life-times1---thomas-rankin.php
[12]
https://www.biblicalcyclopedia.com/R/rankin-thomas.html
[13]
https://www.biblicalcyclopedia.com/R/rankin-thomas.html
[14]
https://www.biblicalcyclopedia.com/R/rankin-thomas.html
[15]
https://www.biblicalcyclopedia.com/R/rankin-thomas.html
[16] Overview of Google's AI Mode
[17]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1762/
[18] Overview of Google's AI Mode
[19]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1773/
[20] Overview of Google's AI Mode
[21]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1774/
[22]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1762/
[23]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1762/
[24]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1764/
[25]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1764/
[26]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1764/
[27]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1765/
[28]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1765/
[29]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1765/
[30]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1768/
[31]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1773/
[32]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1774/
[33]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/
[34]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/
[35]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/
[36]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/
[37]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/
[38]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/
[39]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/
[40]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1780/
Comentários
Postar um comentário