Prisoner of Hope

 

Based on Wesley's letters

 

Odilon Massolar Chaves

 

============================

  


Copyright © 2026, Odilon Massolar Chaves

All rights reserved to the author.

It is allowed to read, copy and share for free.

Article 184 of the Penal Code and Law 96710 of February 19, 1998.

Books published in the Wesleyan Digital Library: 863

Books published by the author: 903

Cover: Travels With Wesley - facebook

Odilon Massolar Chaves is a retired Methodist pastor, with a doctorate in Theology and History from the Methodist University of São Paulo.

Son of Rev. Adherico Ribeiro Chaves and Roza Massolar Chaves.

He is married to RoseMary.

He has two daughters: Liliana and Luciana.

His thesis dealt with the Methodist revival in England in the eighteenth century and its contribution as a paradigm for our days.

 

============================

 

 

That's his point. Jesus loves you! It is yours. Don't be so cruel as to distrust Him! Put your soul at his feet! Prisoner of hope, be bold! Come to Him now and freely take the water of life!

(John Wesley)

 

============================

 

Table of Contents

 

·       Introduction

·       I'm more inclined to hope than fear

·       It will never deceive your hope

·       Do not stray from the hope of the gospel

·       Then out, in despair! Hope until the end

·       Hope until the end

·       Encourage him not to dismiss hope

·       Faith and hope are glorious gifts

·       No one would cut off a limb as long as there is any hope of getting it back

·       They rise above our hope

·       And I saw no hope of escape

·       One faith and one hope of his vocation

·       I have high hopes

·       I am not disappointed in my hope

·       Against hope, we believe in hope

·       The full assurance of hope is such a clear trust

·       O hold fast this too—this blessed hope

·       He will be led away from the hope of the gospel

·       Christ in us, the hope of glory!

·       It's much easier for me to hope than to despair

·       I have a lot of hope for Sally James

·       I have high hopes that this disease will not be until death

·       I have great hope that bodily sickness or weakness will be useful to your neighbors

·       I have high hopes that nothing will stop Sally James or Miss Helena. Flower

·       Do you always like a hope full of immortality?

·       I lived in hope

·       The plerophoria (or full assurance) of hope is a divine testimony that we will endure to the end

·       I have high hopes that the days of cold and darkness are over

·       Fighting Together for the Hope of the Gospel

·       Prisoner of hope

·       I've never felt so much love for her before, nor such strong hope

·       Strive to Nurture Their Hope

·       I'm not disappointed in my hope

·       The full assurance of hope excludes all doubt about our final salvation

·       The full assurance of hope

·       You're not far from the hope of the gospel

·       So that I have a good hope of not living to be useless

·       I have a strong hope that you will get better

·       We are saved by hope

·       Hope is ours

·       Not even hope declines

 

============================

  

Introduction

 

"Prisoner of Hope" is a 60-page book based on Wesley's letters.

The title of this book is based on a statement by Wesley to Ann Bolton on June 7, 1768: "Jesus loves you! It is yours. Don't be so cruel as to distrust Him! Put your soul at his feet! Prisoner of hope, be bold! Come to Him now and freely take the water of life!" [1]

At the beginning of the eighteenth century, in England "there was a feeling of stability after the political conflicts of the previous century. Spiritual Renewal: The Wesleyan Revival (led by John Wesley) gave ordinary people a new lease of life in faith and charity." [2]

Wesley's theology  "is marked by what is called  the 'optimism of grace' in stark contrast to the pessimism of the fallen human condition. It unites a deep hope in God's ability to transform lives through the Holy Spirit with a practical faith focused on personal and social holiness." [3]

To Mary Bosanquet, on January 2, 1770, Wesley stated, "I am more inclined to hope than to fear." [4]

Wesley answered Joseph Benson's question on October 5, 1770: "They say you insist on holiness in the creature, on good cheers, and on sin destroyed." 

Wesley replied, "Absolutely." 

According to Wesley, " hope was not a mere passive desire, but an active, transforming force fueled by God's 'optimism of grace.' It was born of the certainty of salvation by divine love, moving the believer to deep joy, daily gratitude, and the constant search for practical holiness."[5]

To Lady Maxwell, on February 8, 1772, Wesley said, "You need no fear. Hope until the end! Not all things are possible for those who believe. Dare to believe!".

To Jonathan Coussins, on February 25, 1785, Wesley said: "Only we, against hope, believe in hope and walk in all the ways He designates, whether we see present fruit or not." [6]

Commenting on 1 Peter 1:3, "Who has begotten us again to a living hope," Wesley said—"A hope that implies true spiritual life, that revives the heart and makes the soul alive and vigorous." [7]

Wesley was a theologian of hope in the midst of struggles, persecutions, and adversity.

In his letters that follow, we find several of Wesley's statements and teachings about hope.

The Author

 

I'm more inclined to hope than fear

 

I am more inclined to hope than to fear. However, I cannot help fearing that those who make these wise remarks will not always speak with a single eye

 

To Mary Bosanquet

LONDON, January 2, 1770.

MY DEAR SISTER,--You know that I am not much given to suspecting the worst; I am more inclined to hope than to fear. However, I cannot help but fear that those who make these wise remarks will not always speak with a single eye. But what are they afraid of? Now there is little danger of any wrong relationship between you and me. Indeed, we love one another and can trust one another; And there are good reasons why we should. God seemed to mark us for this a long time ago, and perhaps lately more than ever. Now you can speak all that is in your heart, and in all simplicity.

Stay in your seat. Keep the reins in your own hands. It's better for her, [Mrs. Crosby.] better for you, and better for everyone. You must not suffer any interruption or formation of parties. I suppose you have Instructions for Members of Religious Societies. I don't know anything like them in the English language. It would be very advisable to instill these instructions in everyone under your roof.

The moment any of them are justified, they are babes in Christ, little children. When they have the permanent witness of forgiveness, they are young. This is the characteristic of a young man. It was not this, but much more, until salvation from indwelling sin, which more than five hundred in London received. It is true that they did not (all or most) maintain it; But they had forgiveness, just as surely as they had forgiveness. And you and they can receive it again. [See Jan. 1 letter to Mrs. Crosby.] How soon-- I go, my dear friend,

Your affectionate brother. [8]

For Miss Helena. Bosanquet, Gildersome Hall, near Leeds.

 

It will never deceive your hope

 

He has allowed that difference which prevents you from finding comfort even in a close relationship, so that you may seek it with a free and disinterested heart in the One who will never deceive your hope

 

For Mrs. Woodhouse

LONDON, January 1, 1770.

MY DEAR SISTER,-- Indeed, there is no happiness without Him for any child of man. One prefers to be sore and restless whenever He withdraws from His presence. He has allowed that difference which prevents you from finding comfort even in a close relationship, so that you may seek it with a free and disinterested heart in the One who will never disappoint your hope. This will make each cross more dear and sweetened, which is only a painful means of a closer union with Him. The neglect of others should lead him to double diligence in private prayer. And how knowest thou, O wife, but thou shalt not gain thy husband? [Mr. Woodhouse evidently did not sympathize with his wife's Methodism.] You already have many blessings. You are surrounded by them. And who can say if He can't add that to the rest? I pray, tell me from time to time everything that is in your heart. Don't use reservations with, my dear sister,

Your affectionate brother.

To Mrs. Woodhouse, at Mr. Hutton's house, at Epworth, near Thorpe, Yorkshire. [9]

 

Do not stray from the hope of the gospel

 

But you and many others will not be tossed to and fro with every doctrinal wind.

Stand firm in the truth you have received, and do not stray from the hope of the gospel. 

 

For Mrs. Woodhouse

LEWISHAM, NEAR LONDON, 30 July 1773.

MY DEAR SISTER,--I am sorry for poor Mr. Fletcher [See April 1 letter to her]; but still more so for poor Mary Meggot [She was the widow of Samuel Maggot, See Journal, v. 465; and letter of February 10, 1783], from whom I expected better things. Now she can save the room for her new guests, as we will certainly have nothing to do with them. The point they seek is this: to make Calvinists. Our goal is to make Christians. They endeavor to convert men to the dear Decrees; we convert them to God. Everywhere, they used all their strength against us. But you and many others will not be tossed to and fro with every doctrinal wind.

Stand firm in the truth you have received, and do not stray from the hope of the gospel.

I wish that the building [The chapel at Misterton] will be completed without delay. Follow after all the fulness of the promises.

My wife joins me in love for you, with, my dear sister,

Your affectionate brother.

To Mrs. Woodhouse, at Mr. Hutton's house,

At Epworth, near Thorne, Yorkshire. [10]

 

Then out, in despair! Hope until the end

 

I pray, who can you trust better? Who loves you more than Him? Then out, in despair! Hope until the end

 

To Alexander Knox

PENRHYN, August 29,  1777.

MY DEAR ALLECK,-- You should read Mr. Fletcher's Essay on Truth. He has placed there, without any doubt, that there is a medium between a child of God and a child of the devil — that is, a servant of God. This is your state. You are not yet a son, but you are a servant; and you wait for the Spirit of adoption, who will cry out in your hearts, 'Abba, Father.' You have "received the Spirit of grace," and to some extent you accomplish righteousness. Without suffering for what you don't have, you have reason to bless God for what you have, and wait patiently for Him to give rest by revealing His Son in your heart. 

Despite all this, I have no doubt that I see you as a healthy and happy man. But it is true that nothing short of almighty power can heal both your soul and your body. And isn't that enough? Do you have no reason to rejoice because 'salvation is from the Lord'? I pray, who can you trust better? Who loves you more than Him? Then out, in despair! Hope until the end. To Him I commend you all; and I am, dear Alleck,

With all the affection. [11]

 

Hope until the end

 

You don't need to be afraid. Hope until the end! Not all things are possible for those who believe. Dare to believe!

 

To Lady Maxwell

LONDON, February 8, 1772.

MY DEAREST MALADY,-- I congratulate you for meddling as little as possible on controversial points. It is much easier to lose our love in this difficult field than it is to find the truth. This consideration made me extremely grateful to God for giving me a reprieve from controversial labors. I am glad that He has given others both the power and the willingness to respond to those who bother me; so that I am not always forced to hold my weapons in one hand while building with the other. I also rejoice not only in Mr. Fletcher's abilities, but also in his temperament. He writes as he lives. I cannot say that I know of any other clergyman like that in England or Ireland. He is all fire; But it is the fire of love. His writings, as well as his constant conversations, convey nothing more to those who read him with an impartial eye. And though Mr. Shirley hesitates not to accuse him of using subtlety and metaphysical distinctions, he abundantly gets rid of this charge in the Second Control of Antinomianism. ['A Second Control of Antinomianism; occasioned by a Late Narrative, in three letters to the Hon. and Rev. Author (Walter Shirley), was published late in 1771.] Thus the last letters are stylized, and with great decorum; for this they really went. They gave considerable control to those who, everywhere, annulled the law by faith; setting 'the righteousness of Christ' in opposition to the law of Christ, and teaching that 'without holiness any man can see the Lord.'

Despite external and internal trials, I trust that you are still on the border of perfect love. For the Lord is near!

See the Lord your Guardian stand

Omnipotently near!

Behold, He holds you by the hand,

And banish your fear!

You don't need to be afraid. Hope until the end! Not all things are possible for those who believe. Dare to believe! Enjoy a blessing now! May the Lord increase your faith! In this prayer I know that you unite with, my dear Lady,

His ever-affectionate servant. [12]

 

Encourage him not to dismiss hope

 

Your point is: first save him from the occasions of sin, then urge him not to take away hope. Nothing but that, the desperation to conquer, can utterly destroy him. As long as he retains the faintest hope, he will fight against sin.

 

To Thomas Rankin

Clonmain, near Armagh, June 13, 1775.

DEAR TOMMY,--I am afraid that our correspondence for the future will be more uncertain than ever, since the sword has been drawn; and it is better that they have not thrown away the hem on either side. What will be the end of these things, whether in Europe or America? There seems to be great confusion and suffering, as if neither we nor our parents knew about it. But it is enough that everything be in glory to God, peace and good will among men.

I'm sorry for poor T--- R---. I hoped that God had completely healed his setback, and lifted his head so that he would not fall any more. But the case is not yet hopeless; You should not in any way give it away. Rarely have I met a habitual drunkard finally recover before he has relapsed more than once or twice. Your point is: first save him from the occasions of sin, then urge him not to take away hope. Nothing but that, the desperation to conquer, can utterly destroy him. As long as he retains the faintest hope, he will fight against sin.

My brother wrote to me saying that he had received a copy of the tract you wrote. Something like this can be very suitable. Never has America had such a great call to repentance. For unless the general reformation prevents general destruction, that scene will soon be opened in Ruin and desolation will soon spread over the land and the houses of beauty will be turned into heaps of ruins. But what are these strange phenomena you talk about? Send me a report of everything you can trust.

Should you not appoint in America (as we do in England and Ireland) one or more general days of fasting and prayer—I am, dear Tommy,

Your affectionate friend and brother. [13]

 

Faith and hope are glorious gifts

 

Faith and hope are glorious gifts, as is every ray of eternity let into the soul. But still, these are only means; The end of everything, and the greatest of all, is love. May the Lord now pour this into your heart as He has never done before.

 

To Ann Bolton

LONDON, December 5, 1772.

MY DEAR SISTER,--I don't know that you ever asked me a question that I didn't answer promptly. I've never heard anyone mention anything about you for that reason; but I myself was jealous of you. [See letter of November 28.] Perhaps I find fault with you that others do not have; for I behold you on every side. I mark your every move and temperament, because I long for you to be unblemished or blemished.

What I saw in London prompted the first warning I gave him. George Bell, William Green, [See Journal, iii. 265, iv. 94; C. Wesley's Journal, i. 429; and letter of November 26, 1762, section I. 6, to Bishop Warburton.] and many others, then full of love, were graced with extraordinary revelations and manifestations from God. But for this reason, Satan deceived them with the simplicity that exists in Christ. By insensible degrees they were led to value these extraordinary gifts more than the common grace of God; and I couldn't convince them that a grain of humble love was better than all these gifts put together. This, my dear friend, is what made me fear for you. It reminds me of you several times. Faith and hope are glorious gifts, as is every ray of eternity let into the soul. But still, these are only means; The end of everything, and the greatest of all, is love. May the Lord now pour this into your heart as He has never done before.

By all means, spend an hour every other day in the labor of love, even if you can't help them as you would. By entrusting you to the One who can make you perfect in every good word and work, I am

With affection. [14]

 

No one would cut off a limb as long as there is any hope of getting it back

 

 If he acts so impetuously, we will be forced to take more severe measures. I should apologize for that; no one would cut off a limb as long as there is any hope of regaining it

 

YARM, June 16, 1772.

MY DEAR SISTER,--Whenever you can, I hope you will talk to Mrs. Dawson, for her heart is very much united to you; and when they are far apart, they can talk by letters. And I believe that you are particularly called to be useful to those whom the riches or greatness of this world keep away from the pure word of God.

When in Waterford, make sure you don't stand there. You should get together and meet a band right away. If you also knew a class, it would be much better: you know, the more work, the more blessings.

You did well to send me the last room; it is absolutely necessary that I should be acquainted with all these subjects; To do otherwise would be a false delicacy.

Mr. Goodwin is a valuable young man; He has a lot of grace and good understanding. I have written to Mr. Glassbrook and the leaders, if James Deaves comes to Limerick in the same spirit as he has been for some time, to take care not to cause trouble. If he acts so impetuously, we will be forced to take more severe measures. I should apologize for that; No one would cut off a limb as long as there is any hope of getting it back. I hope John Christian is a useful worker; He has a zeal according to knowledge.

Nothing is sin, strictly speaking, but a willful transgression of a law known to God. Therefore, every willful violation of the law of love is sin; and nothing more, if we speak properly. To force the issue further is only to pave the way for Calvinism. There may be ten thousand wandering thoughts and forgotten intervals without any breaking of love, though not without transgressing the Adamic law. But Calvinists would make a point of confusing all of this together. Let love fill your heart, and that's enough-- I am, dear sister,

Your affectionate brother. [15]

 

They rise above our hope

 

I feared that our members would scarcely again reach twenty-four hundred: so now they rise above our hope. I trust that it will now be your task to 'purge the floor' completely. Eliminate all unworthy members and strongly exhort

 

To Jonathan Brown, Isle of Man

[October], 1789.

DEAR JONATHAN, -- You send us welcome news of the prosperity of God's work on the island. One year ago, [See letter of February 28.] I feared that our members would scarcely again reach twenty-four hundred: so now they rise above our hope. I trust that it will now be your task to 'purge the floor' completely. Eliminate all unworthy members, and strongly exhort the rest to "go on to perfection." Get as many people as possible to get together in the band. -- I am, with love for your wife,

Your affectionate friend and brother. [16]

Ingham had belonged to the Holy Club and went to Germany with Wesley.

 

And I saw no hope of escape

 

He had committed a serious act of drunkenness and saw no hope of escape, for he had neither courage nor strength left. We knelt down and besought our Lord to lead that sinner to God, who by His blood justifies the wicked. He arose, and his countenance was no longer sad; for he knew, and testified aloud

 

"To Mr. Ingham, in Hernhuth.

"Oh, my dear brother, God has been wonderfully gracious to us since our return to England. Although there are many adversaries, a large and effective door has opened; and we continue, amid good and bad report, to preach the gospel of Christ to all people, and to earnestly contend for the faith that was once delivered to the saints. In fact, He has given us many of our fiercest opposers, who now receive the implanted word with meekness.

One of the most obstinate of them found no rest in his mind until, on Saturday, September 30 (the old calendar), he felt compelled to send for me—me, who did not even know him by sight—to reveal to me the secrets of his heart. He confessed, amidst many tears, that, in spite of all his efforts, he was still carnal, sold to sin; that he continually did what he did not want to do, and was therefore convinced of the utter corruption of his whole nature; that the night before, after the most solemn resolutions to the contrary, he had committed a serious act of drunkenness, and saw no hope of escape, for he had neither courage nor strength left. We knelt down and besought our Lord to lead that sinner to God, who by His blood justifies the wicked. He arose, and his countenance was no longer sad; for he knew, and testified aloud, that he had passed from death to life, and he felt in himself that he had been healed of his wound.

And from that hour until now he has enjoyed peace and joy in believing, and sin no longer has dominion over him." "Mr. Stonehouse decided, at last, to know nothing but Jesus Christ, and Him crucified; and to preach to all the forgiveness of sins through faith in his blood. Mr. Sparkes is also a teacher of sound doctrine. Mr. Hutchins is strong in faith and strongly convinces opponents, so that no one has yet been able to resist him. Messrs. Kinchin, Gombold, and Wells have not yet received consolation, but they are patiently awaiting it. Mr. Robson, who is now also a minister of Christ, is full of faith, peace, and love. So it is with Mr. Combes, a child in the faith, who was called to minister in holy things two or three weeks ago. In fact, I trust that our Lord will allow us to see—and soon—a multitude of believing priests. My brother and I are partly here and partly in London, until Mr. Whitefield, or some other, is sent to replace us here.

"Pray continually for us, my dear brother, that we may fully fulfill our ministry and stand firm in the grace of our Lord Jesus; and as soon as you can, give news about what He is doing through you and in your life." [17]

 

One faith and one hope of his vocation

 

All love one another and are united in one body and one spirit, as well as in one faith and one hope of their vocation

 

John Whitehead quoted in the book "The Life of the Rev. John Wesley":

"May our gracious Lord, who considers everything that is done to the least of his brothers as done to himself, repay you, the Countess, and all the brothers seven times for the kindnesses they have rendered us! It would have been a great satisfaction for me to be able to spend more time with Christians who love one another.

But this was not possible at that time, for my Master had called me to work in another part of his vineyard. Nor did I return here before the proper time: for, though a great and effectual door had been opened, the adversaries had placed so many obstacles before it, that the weak were daily diverted from the way. Countless misunderstandings had arisen, causing the way of truth to be greatly maligned; and from this sprang wrath, clamor, bitterness, backbiting, envy, strife, reproaches, and evil suspicions; things by which the enemy gained such an advantage over the little flock that no one dared to join them anymore.

"But now it has pleased our blessed Master to remove, in a great measure, these stumbling blocks. The word of the Lord again runs and is glorified; and his work goes on and prospers." Great crowds are awakening everywhere and crying, "What must we do to be saved?" Many of them see that there is but one name under heaven by which they can be saved; and, increasingly, those who seek him find salvation in his name, all of one heart and soul. All love one another and are united in one body and one spirit, as well as in one faith and one hope of their calling.

The love and zeal of our brethren in Holland and Germany, particularly in Herrnhut, have awakened many among us, who will not be satisfied until they have also shared in the great and precious promises.

I hope, God willing, to see you at least one more time, if only to offer you the fruit of my love: to speak openly about some things that I did not approve of — perhaps because I did not understand them. May our merciful Lord grant them right judgment in all things, and make them abound more and more in all humility and meekness, in all simplicity and godly sincerity, in all vigilance and sobriety; in a word, in all faith and love—especially toward those who are without—until they are merciful as your Father in heaven is merciful!

"My desire and prayer to God is that the glorious gospel of his Son may run and be glorified among you, as it is among us." [18]

 

I have high hopes

 

Our next Conference will begin in July; and I have high hopes that then we can send help to you

 

LONDON, February 26, 1783.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- I, INDEED, HAVE ARGUED VERY STRONGLY WITH THE BISHOP OF LONDON [See letter of August 10, 1780.] about his refusal to ordain a pious man unknowingly while ordaining others who, so far as I know, had no piety and only a moderate share of knowledge. I tend to think that this letter will appear in public... in a while.

Our next Conference will begin in July; And I have high hopes that then we can send help to you. One of our preachers informs me that he is willing to go to any part of Africa or America. He does not consider danger or work; nor, indeed, does he consider his life precious to himself, that he may witness to the gospel of God's grace and win sinners to Christ. But I can't advise anyone to go it alone. Our Lord sent His disciples two and two. And I do not despair of finding another young man as dedicated to God as he is.

The Antinomian [The Rev. Henry Alline, of Falmouth, Nova Scotia. Seventy withdrew from the Methodist Society at Amherst in 1782 and joined it. He died early, and the churches he had founded soon went into decline. See letter of July 13.] you mentioned that it must be guarded with all possible diligence; otherwise, it will cause more pain in a year than it can do good in twenty. And it is well that he who calls himself Lady Huntingdon's preacher does not do as much harm as he does. Calvinism, Mysticism, and Antinomianism have a concern; for they are the plague of true religion, and one of them has been the great hindrance to the work of God wherever it has arisen.

If you come to England, we will make room for you in Kingswood. Peace be with all your spirits. -- I am, my dear brother,

Your affectionate brother. [19]

 

I am not disappointed in my hope

 

I am not disappointed in my hope; and I am convinced that neither they nor you will ever be afraid to do well

 

For Arthur Keene

LONDON, February 17, 1785.

MY DEAR BROTHER, - I thank you for the care you have taken in behalf of poor Robert Hide, [See letter of July 23, 1784.] and I am sincerely glad that you have finally succeeded. Now, if he remains honest and hardworking, he will want neither a job nor food. The lack of one or the other must have exposed him to a thousand temptations.

When several disapproved of my sending Mr. Rogers and his wife to Dublin, considering that they were unfit for the task, I was determined to revoke it, believing myself to be a competent judge both of the gifts and the grace of both. And the event met my expectations. I am not disappointed in my hope; and I am convinced that neither they nor you will ever be afraid to do good.

You have great reason to bless God for the good state of your temporal affairs also. And in fact, I have always observed that whenever God's work continues, He does not hold back any good things.

It was impossible to keep the current master unless his spirit had completely changed. He is extremely unfair. But I'm afraid another one is recommended to you that probably won't be better. I've known him since I was a child and I'll let you know for sure. Take care of what you do. If you are wise, guarantee Mr. Fox at any cost. This man is sterling gold. [For school, see letter of 3 March 1784 to Keene. Patrick Fox became a master.] But you will have no blessing from God or praise from the wise if you take this vile and sordid step (especially at this time!) of reducing your salary. You should give at least 40 a year.

As soon as I can, after April 10th, I decide (God willing) to embark for Dublin. I would be happy to accept your kind invitation. But it's a great way to go, especially at night. Otherwise, I should be more at home with you than anywhere else. [He stayed in the house of the preachers. See the letters of February 1 and April 11.] I commend you and yours to divine protection; and I am, dear Arthur,

Your affectionate friend and brother.

I hate the idea of our master maintaining a night school. That would swallow up the time he should have for his own evolution. Give him enough to live comfortably without this arduous routine.

February 20. - Please tell Mr. Rogers that I hope to see him before mid-April and visit the classes. I'm glad he wrote to Mr. Fox; But I've already told you what I think about the salary.

To Mr. Arthur Keene, Miltown Road,

Close to Dublin.

To Mr. Broadbent, in the Preaching House,

In Birstall, near Leeds. [20]

 

Against hope, we believe in hope

 

But we, against hope, believe in hope and walk in all the paths that He designates, whether we see present fruits or not

 

For Jonathan Coussins

LONDON, February 25, 1785.

MY DEAR BROTHER, - The Lord will work; And who can prevent it? But we, against hope, believe in hope and walk in all the paths that He designates, whether we see present fruits or not. Now encourage all believers to come together in a band and to observe the rules of the band exactly. In one thing, Dr. Hunt and his people embarrass us; I mean fasting, which we almost forgot! Let's start again! - Yes, I am, with love for Sister Coussins,

Your affectionate friend and brother.

To Mr. Coussins, in the preaching house,

In Norwich. [21]

 

The full assurance of hope is such a clear trust

 

The full assurance of hope is such a clear confidence that I shall enjoy the glory of God, as it excludes all doubt and fear in this regard. And this confidence is totally different from the opinion that 'no saint will fall from grace

 

To Hester Ann Roe

LIVERPOOL, April 10, 1781.

MY DEAR HETTY, -- Many of our brethren and sisters in London, during that great manifestation of the Spirit, [In 1762. See Works, xi. 406.] He spoke of several new blessings they had attained. But, in the end, they found nothing but pure love, upon which the full assurance of hope is usually present. These inspired writings always represent as the highest point; But there are countless degrees of this. The plerophoria (or full assurance) of faith is such a clear conviction that I am now in favor of God, for it excludes all doubt and fear in regard to it. The full assurance of hope is such a clear confidence that I shall enjoy the glory of God, as it excludes all doubt and fear in this regard. And this confidence is entirely different from the opinion that 'no saint shall fall from grace.' It has nothing to do with that. Bold and presumptuous men often replace this base counter in the room of this precious confidence. But it is observable that opinion remains as strong while men sin and serve the devil as while they serve God. Holiness or non-holiness does not affect to any degree. Meanwhile, yielding to anything unholy, whether in life or heart, clouded the full assurance of hope; which cannot subsist longer than the heart clings firmly to God.

I am convinced that the storm that met us in the teeth and brought us back was not something casual, but providential; so I leave aside the idea of seeing Ireland at the moment. [See letters of February 20 (to Thomas Rutherford) and April 12.] -- I am, my dear Hetty,

Always yours with tender affection. [22]

 

O hold fast this too—this blessed hope

 

And you believe that God is able to give you that—yes, to give you that in an instant. You trust that He will trust. O hold fast this too—this blessed hope, which He has placed in your heart!

 

To Joseph Benson

LONDON, December 28, 1770.

DEAR JOSEPH,--What a blessing it is that we can speak freely with one another, without disguise or reservation! As long as we can do that, we can get wiser and better every day.

A point that I advise you to hold firm, and that neither men nor devils take it from you. You are a child of God; you are justified freely by the redemption that is in Christ Jesus. Your sins are forgiven! Do not discard this trust, which brings great reward.

Now, can any be justified but by faith? None can. Therefore, you are a believer; you have faith in Christ; you know the Lord; you can say, 'My Lord and my God.' And whoever denies this, it is better to deny that the sun shines at noon.

Still, there are ten thousand wishes left,

And afflict your soul, which is acquitted from sin;

Still rebellious nature struggles to reign,

And you are all impure, impure!

This is equally clear and undeniable. And this is not only their experience, but the experience of a thousand believers on the side, who are still sure of God's favor regarding their own existence. To cut through all doubt about this, I ask you to do another serious reading of these two sermons Sin in Believers and Repentance in Believers. [Works, v. 144-70.]

'But is there no help? Is there no deliverance, no salvation from this inbred enemy?' There certainly is; otherwise, many great and precious promises must fall to the ground. 'I will pour clean water upon you, and you will be clean; From all their filthiness and from all their idols I will cleanse you.' 'I will circumcise thy heart' (of all sin), 'that I may love the Lord thy God with all thy heart and with all thy soul.' This I call sanctification (which is both an instantaneous and gradual work), or perfection, the being perfected in love, full of love, which still admits a thousand degrees. But I have no time to waste in the dispute over words, especially where the thing is allowed. And you allow everything that I fight for—a complete deliverance from sin, the recovery of the whole image of God, the loving God with all our heart, soul, and strength. And you believe that God is able to give you that—yes, to give you that in an instant. You trust that He will trust. O hold fast this too—this blessed hope, which He has placed in your heart! And with all zeal and diligence they confirm the brethren, (1) by laying hold of that which they have attained—namely, the remission of all their sins by faith in a bleeding Lord; (2) waiting for a second change, by which they will be saved from all sin, and perfected in love.

If you like to call it 'receiving the Holy Spirit', you can call it: just the phrase in that sense is unbiblical and not entirely adequate; for they all "received the Holy Spirit" when they were justified. God then 'sent the Spirit of His Son into their hearts, crying, Abba, Father.'

O Joseph, keep close to the Bible in both feeling and expression! Then there will never be a material difference between you and... [23]

 

He will be led away from the hope of the gospel

 

If you yield to them and their prudence by a hair's breadth, you will be cut off from the hope of the gospel

 

CORK, May 27, 1769,

DEAR JOSEPH,--Now you have (what you have never had before) a clear and providential call to Oxford. [He joined St. Edmund Hall, Oxford, and retained some of his periods while he was principal at Trevecca.] If you keep one eye only, have courage and firmness, you can be an instrument of great good. But you're going to tread on slippery ground, and the serious people you mention can do you more harm than many others. When I was at Oxford, I was never afraid of anyone but the quasi-Christians. If you yield to them and their prudence by a hair, you will be cut off from the hope of the gospel. If you are not moved, if you tread in the same footsteps that my brother and I have followed, you can be a means under God to create another group of true biblical Christians. How long the world will suffer with them (whether longer than they have endured us or not) is in God's hands.

As for Kingswood School, I have one more rope: if it breaks, I'll drop it. I bore the burden for twenty-one years; I have done what I could: now let someone else do more.--I am, dear Joseph,

Your affectionate brother. [24]

 

Christ in us, the hope of glory!

 

You have only one point to discuss—Immanuel, God with us; to secure that one point—Christ in us, the hope of glory! What's beyond that compared to that

 

For Arthur Keene

DUBLIN, July 1, 1789.

If we do not meet until we reach a better world, you will allow me to say: I love you very much and we will continue until our earthly path ends. And allow me to give you one more piece of advice (you've already valued my advice) — stop arguing. Move your thoughts as far away as possible from all controversial points. You have only one point to discuss—Immanuel, God with us; to secure that one point—Christ in us, the hope of glory! What is beyond this in comparison to this, let it involve your whole soul. But in a short time, everything else will be gone like a shadow! It's [likely] that you'll probably spend a few more days on Earth when I'm no longer seen. But those days, by comparison, disappear like a dream when you wake up. The wisdom from above, meanwhile, be the part of you and yours! So pray

His brother always affectionate. [25]

 

It's much easier for me to hope than to despair

 

It's much easier for me to hope than to despair of anyone or anything. I never despaired of John Hutchinson. For with God no word is impossible.

 

To your brother Charles

LONDON, October 20, 1753.

DEAR BROTHER, -- I firmly believed that this young woman would die in peace; although I didn't anticipate it would be anytime soon. We have had several examples of music heard before or in the death of those who die in the Lord. May we conceive that this is literally the music of the angels. Can it be heard by ears of flesh and blood? [See next letter.]

It was not possible for me to send the work of Jane Bates [Mrs. Bate (or Bates), by Wakefield. See Diary, iii. 112, 221-4 (his letter to Wesley); and the Diary of C. Wesley, i. 351, for his conversation with her husband.] letter before my return to London. I sent it last week to Ted Perronet. But whether he is now on earth or in paradise, I do not know. [Perronet soon recovered and outlived Wesley. Briggs married his sister Elizabeth in 1749. See Diary viii. 52; and next letter.] It was believed that he was dying a few days ago at Epworth, and rejoicing vehemently in God. William Briggs set out for Epworth last night to see him, dead or alive.

It's much easier for me to hope than to despair of anyone or anything. I never despaired of John Hutchinson. For with God no word is impossible. And if he testifies to a full and deep sense of his long revolt against God, I hope he lives or dies happily. But let me hear the details of your Diaries, and perhaps I have a stronger hope.

I came back from Bedford [Bedford badly needed a visit. The Moravians caused trouble, and 'the little Society narrowly escaped.' See the Diary, iv. 84-7.] Last night. I don't know if it was your will or not (I don't think so), but I'm sure it was God's will that you call there. As you judge whether something is God's will or not, I hope not by internal impressions. Let's walk with caution. I have a lot of constitutional enthusiasm, and you have a lot more

I have no more or less faith in human testimony now than I had ten or fifteen years ago. I might suspect that every man who talks to me is a bumbler or a liar, but I won't suspect it. I don't dare until I have proof.

I give you a dilemma. Stand on one side or the other. Either he acts in a way that is really connected with me, or he never pretends. Before that, deny this and openly state that you do and will not do it.

By acting in connection with me, I mean consult with me once or twice a year about the places where you are going to give birth. Listen to my advice before you settle, take it or not.

At the moment you are so far from it that I don't even know when and where you intend to go; So far you are far from following any advice from me — no, even asking for it. And yet I can say without vanity that I am a better judge of this question than Lady Huntingdon, Sally, [Charles wrote to his wife in the autumn of 1753: 'The more hard work in the vineyard, the more time I have sex with you.' See Charles Wesley, of Telford, pp. 195-6.] Jones [John Jones. See letter of April 16, 1748.], or any other—no, than his own heart, that is, will.

I wish you all peace, zeal and love. [26]

 

I have a lot of hope for Sally James

 

I have a lot of hope for Sally James. In the company that normally surrounds you, it is better to use reserve. And this tends to form a habit, which is not easy to overcome, even with those she loves well; but I trust that she will overcome this and all enemies.

 

To Mary Stokes

LONDON, February 11, 1772.

MY DEAR SISTER,-- I am glad that you have had the opportunity to spend time with this wonderful company. On the day I leave Bristol (Monday 9 March) I hope to be in Stroud myself. [See Diary, v. 448.] They are not sent there for nothing, but to do as much as to receive good: and this not for a single family, nor for the four they know; no, but you have a message from God (you and Ally Eden [Miss S. Ally Eden, daughter of Henry Eden, of Broadmarston. She wrote to Wesley about Christian perfection on August 27. John Pawson calls her 'one of the kindest families I have ever known.' See the Diary, v. 251; Veterans of Wesley, iv. 42; and letter of December 12, 1773.] also) for all the women of the Society. Lay aside all malignant shame, all modesty, falsely so called. Going from house to house; deal faithfully with all of them; warn everyone; To exhort everyone. God will give you everywhere a word to speak, and His blessing along with it. Be you here a follower of Nancy Bolton, as she is of Christ.

In doing and doing the will of our Lord,

We are still preparing to receive our reward.

I have a lot of hope for Sally James. [See letters of March 17, 1771 and May 1, 1772 to Miss Helena S. Stokes.] In the company that normally surrounds you, it is better to use reserve. And this tends to form a habit, which is not easy to overcome, even with those she loves well; but I trust that she will overcome this and all enemies. Perhaps we will soon rejoice in it. It's good that you can be emptied, that you can be filled. But how come you've never given me an hour of pain since I met you? Do you always intend to move forward, without stopping or regressing? The good Lord allows you to do this, and all who are with you! So realize the joy of

With affection. [27]

 

I have high hopes that this disease will not be until death

 

I have great hopes that this sickness will not be unto death, but that the glory of the Lord will be revealed. Kempis' rule admits of many exceptions

 

To Mary Bishop

BRISTOL, September 15,  1777. 

MY DEAR MISS BISHOP,-- There is seldom much heat in the preaching house at Bradford: at least, it is not caused by the greatness of the congregation; although I think it was bigger last week than I've seen in several years.

We have reason to be thankful that none of our friends in Bristol have been harmed by Mr. Hilton's change. [See letters of August 6 and October 22 (to Miss Helena S. Bishop).] They seem to be grieved, but not wounded, but more established in truth. From Miss Helena. Flower, I heard something not very pleasant. But I can't say anything yet. In a day or two I hope to have the opportunity to talk to her, and then I will know how to judge. If she copies my dear Miss Helena. Yerbury, I will have no more pain for her.

Sea breezes can be helpful to you if you have the opportunity to use constant exercise. This has brought many out of the gates of death. It is something beyond any medicine, whatever it is.

I have great hopes that this sickness will not be unto death, but that the glory of the Lord will be revealed. Kempis' rule admits of many exceptions. Whatever the case may be at the time, we now have abundant evidence that many are improved by disease; unless it is said 'in sickness.' This is one of the great means which God employs for this purpose. In sickness many are convicted of sin, many converted to God, and still more confirmed in God's ways and brought to perfection.

His gracious design in yours seems to be chiefly this—to wean you still further from created things, to do and keep you dead for all below. For this, you are in a certain way isolated from everything that can find everything of yourself in Him. If He wants to restore you, you will be an instrument worthy of the Master's use.

It seems that the best way to enjoy this retirement that results from your current weakness is to divide your time between reading, meditation, and prayer, mixed with serious conversation. And when your strength permits, you should strive to do a little good; Just be careful at the beginning not to go too far. A few years ago we had a small Society in Southampton; You may find some remaining fragments. May the God of all grace, after a time of suffering, make you perfect, stabilized, strengthen, and soothe—I am, my dear sister,

His brother always affectionate. [28]

 

I have great hope that bodily sickness or weakness will be useful to your neighbors

 

I have great hope that sickness or bodily weakness will be useful to your neighbors. When we feel pain, or when death looks us in the face, what good are riches? 

 

For Mrs. Woodhouse

LONDON, January 21,  1777.

MY DEAR SISTER, THERE IS SOMETHING EXTREMELY REMARKABLE IN THE CASE OF MR. Dixon. To be torn away just at the moment when he was above the world! But the One with whom we have to do best understands what will be for our true benefit. Probably He saw that prosperity would hurt his soul, and so He turned him away from the evil that was to come.

I have great hope that sickness or bodily weakness will be useful to your neighbors. When we feel pain, or when death looks us in the face, what good are riches? In these circumstances, you are richer than all of them. You know who you believed. You know that if all these things pass away, you have in heaven a better and more lasting substance. You can benefit a lot from Richard Condy. [Condy was stationed at Epworth.] He is a valuable man. I rarely talk to him, but he does me good. I would like you to tell him that I want him to send me a full account of his experience. Still, be ready to do and suffer all of God's will.--My dear sister,

Your affectionate brother. [29]

 

I have high hopes that nothing will stop Sally James or Miss Helena. Flower

 

How many things have you been able to overcome since I saw you in the big garden? But don't leave my poor Molly Jones behind,-- not that you can stay for her,-- but bring her with you. I have high hopes that nothing will stop Sally James or Miss Helena. Flower

 

To Mary Stokes 

CHESTER, March 17, 1771.

DEAR MISS STOKES,--I almost wonder, Have I ever found another Jenny Cooper [See letter of September 11, 1765.] I receive the knowledge of her spirit in you. I doubt that God has begun a good work in his heart. It gave you a taste of the powers of the world to come. He delivered them from the vain expectation of finding happiness in the things of the earth; and I trust that you will no longer be entangled in this trap. You know where the true joys are found. Now hold fast to that principle of liberty with which Christ has set you free. But don't stand still. This is just the dawn of day: the Sun of Righteousness will rise over you in a way quite different from what you have experienced so far. And who knows how soon He won't be near. Not all things are done now. What prevents you from receiving it now, if you can believe.' Here's the whole bar: only unbelief prevents the mighty blessing! How many things have you been able to overcome since I saw you in the big garden? But don't leave my poor Molly Jones behind,-- not that you can stay for her,-- but bring her with you. I have high hopes that nothing will stop Sally James or Miss Helena. Flower. [Mr. Stokes, the Captain, and Mrs. James were close friends of Charles Wesley. See letters of February 11, 1772 and November 29, 1774.] O bear one another's burdens! Then they will not be almost, but completely Christian! Then you will realize the joy of, my dear Miss Helena. Stokes,

With affection.

While I'm in Ireland, you just need to go straight to Dublin. [30]

 

Do you always like a hope full of immortality?

 

Do you always like a hope full of immortality? I ask you many questions, so that you have the opportunity to be a witness for God, live or die

 

To Elizabeth Ritchie

WAKEFIELD, June 16,  1777.

MY DEAR BETSY,--I write a few lines, on condition that you do not write if it hurts you; It sure will be, if you lean on your chest or write a lot at once. But perhaps (of which you yourself must be the judge) you write a few lines from time to time. Do you still think that your will has been totally abandoned? You have no choice between life or death? And you have no choice as to how you died? Aren't you afraid of the pain of dissolution? Can you freely say goodbye to all your friends here?

And to some unknown place a ward away?

Do you never lose awareness of the presence of the Three-One God? And is your testimony of His Spirit, that you have been saved from indwelling sin, never obscured? Are you always happy? Do you always like a hope full of immortality? I ask you many questions, so that you have the opportunity to be a witness for God, live or die. I guess, in life or in death, you won't forget

With affection. [31]

 

I lived in hope

 

Since I was told that God has been pleased to restore your strength in some way, I have lived in the hope that He will still be asked to return you to our prayers

 

To Elizabeth Ritchie

ST. IVES, August 24, 1777.

MY DEAR BETSY,--Ever since I was informed that God has pleased, in a way, to restore your strength, I have lived in the hope that He will still be asked and return you to our prayers. Do you still find the same awareness of the presence of the ever-blessed Trinity? [See August 2 letter.] Do you think that day and night? In the midst of trials, does it remain the same? But I would be ready to ask, except a weak body, what trials can you have?

Cut off from the world, and from all its cares,

Must you rejoice or suffer, hope or fear?

Unless that's why,-- You want to please everyone for their sake, but you can't. You would like to give them satisfaction, but they will not be satisfied. It may be a dose test.

Send as specific an account as possible of the state of your body and mind to

With affection. [32]

 

The plerophoria (or full assurance) of hope is a divine testimony that we will endure to the end

 

The plerophoria (or full assurance) of hope is a divine testimony that we will endure to the end; or, more directly, that we shall enjoy God in glory. This is in no way essential or inseparable from perfect love. Sometimes it is given to those who are not perfected in love

 

To Elizabeth Ritchie

SALISBURY, October 6, 1778.

MY DEAR BETSY, "Since I saw you, I have had the pleasure of receiving two letters from --; and I am increasingly convinced that she has suffered no real loss in her late trials. Indeed, their greatness proved the greatness of his grace; otherwise, she must have passed out completely. But I am afraid that the poor clay building has suffered such a shock that it will not be easily repaired. Mrs. Steve's wonderful behavior was more than she could bear. But the comfort is that the One we have to deal with is the Physician.

I doubt that any incarnate spirit can feel such a complete humiliation as that felt by those spirits who see the face of our Father who is in heaven. And no doubt, the closer they get to the throne, the more abused they will be.

The plerophoria (or full assurance) of faith is a divine witness so divine that we are reconciled to God, for it excludes all doubt and fear in regard to it. This refers only to what is present. The plerophoria (or full assurance) of hope is a divine testimony that we will endure to the end; or, more directly, that we shall enjoy God in glory. This is in no way essential or inseparable from perfect love. It is sometimes given to those who are not perfected in love, as it was to Mr. Grimshaw. And it is not given (at least not for a time) to many who are perfected in love. I am not saying that you should pray for it; But I think you can, but with total resignation. In this, as in all things, 'His way and His timing are the best.'

I am happy to know the continuity of your health. [She had written, 'My own health is also better than when you were here. I spent three weeks in the North, mostly on the edge of a cold moor, which suited me very well.'] But you'll still need constant exercise; to which it must be added whenever there is a change in air. In order for you to enjoy more and more health, both of soul and body, is the prayer of

With affection. [33]

 

I have high hopes that the days of cold and darkness are over

 

I have high hopes that the days of cold and darkness are past, and that the Sun of Righteousness is rising over Nova Scotia as well. O shake the gift of God that is in you and wrestle with God in mighty prayer

 

To William Black

March 1790.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- I am glad to hear that you have had some increase in the work of God in Halifax. If you take care that the brethren do not get at odds along the way, and that there is no jealousy or coldness among the preachers, but you all go on in peace and harmony, there will be an increase in this everywhere. I have high hopes that the days of cold and darkness are past, and that the Sun of Righteousness is rising over Nova Scotia as well. O shake the gift of God that is in you and wrestle with God in mighty prayer. He is doing great things in many parts of Europe, something that has not been seen for many generations [See letter of February 4.]; and the children of God expect to see greater things than these. I don't know if England has ever been in such a tranquil state before as it is now. It is up to us to wait for the openings of Divine Providence and follow its guidelines. -- I am

Your affectionate friend and brother. [34]

 

Fighting Together for the Hope of the Gospel

 

 

How happy you are that you have none of those dissensions that tore that poor Society to pieces! Pray that all will continue to be of mind, striving together for the hope of the gospel and inviting all to strive after full salvation

 

For Hannah Ball

 

LONDON, February 21, 1772.

MY DEAR SISTER,--You have indeed reason to be thankful that God has finally converted the captivity of His people; and their preachers [Samuel Wells and William Barker.] have good encouragement to be zealous for God, for they see the fruit of their labors. On Monday evening I hope at least one of them will meet me in Newbury. How happy you are that you have none of those dissensions that tore that poor Society to pieces! Pray that all will continue to be of mind, striving together for the hope of the gospel and inviting all to strive after full salvation.--My dear sister,

His brother always affectionate. [35]

 

Prisoner of hope

 

That's his point. Jesus loves you! It is yours. Don't be so cruel as to distrust Him! Put your soul at his feet! Prisoner of hope, be bold! Come to Him now and freely take the water of life!

 

To Ann Bolton

NEWCASTLE-UPON-TYNE, 7 June 1768.

MY DEAR SISTER,--Since there is nothing new about your disorder, only an increase in the same symptoms, I believe that if you follow the instructions I gave you earlier, it will help you with more than a hundred medications. Oily medicines would kill you quickly; Anything that fills your stomach would also do that. You should be careful to get enough air at night: it wouldn't hurt to leave the window open for a while. When you have that tickling cough, chew on some bark (about the size of half a grain of pepper), swallow the saliva four or five times, and then spit out the wood. I can allow you to bark like that, but no more, at the risk of your life. Try if red currants suit you; If they do, eat as much as you can.

O Nancy, I want to see you very much: I am afraid you must flee to paradise. A thought arises in my mind that I will tell freely. If you go first, I think you should leave me your seal as a gift: I need not say to remember you, for I shall never forget you.

Experience shows you what is the best means of grace for you. Read and think about God's love. That's his point. Jesus loves you! It is yours. Don't be so cruel as to distrust Him! Put your soul at his feet! Prisoner of hope, be bold! Come to Him now and freely take the water of life!

If you can write, write to me at once, directing me to Mrs. Hudson's house in York. I want to know everything that concerns you. For you are very near, my dear Nancy,

Your affectionate brother.

For Miss Helena. Bolton. At the home of the Rev. Mr. Davis, at Evesham, Worcestershire. Cross Post. [36]

 

I've never felt so much love for her before, nor such strong hope

 

I never felt so much love for her before, nor such a strong hope, that you would strengthen each other's hands in God, and if there is still a little while to go, to make her a pattern for all around her

 

To Robert Carr Brackenbury

On Sunday, July 8, Wesley preached at Mr. Dodwell's church in Welby.

Dear Sir, — I am glad to have visited on Saturday morning at Raithby, and to have had some time alone with Mrs. B. I was pleasantly surprised at her sweetness of temper, and at the open and artless account she gave of her experience, especially as it will enable me to say more to many friends than I could otherwise say.

I never felt so much love for her before, nor so strong a hope, that you would strengthen each other's hands in God, and if there is still a little while to make her a standard to all around her, this also God will provide in due time. What proof we had the other day that He hears prayer.

Discussions didn't work out with 'Rob. Heywood's daughter. She was fully determined not to part with her idol, but to marry him next week. But after five minutes of prayer, her heart changed and she decided not to see him anymore.' Who is a God as great as our God?

To Your care I entrust Mrs. B. and you, and I am, dear sir.

 His brother and affectionate servant. [37]

 

Strive to Nurture Their Hope

 

Strive to nourish their hope by speaking firmly and, at the same time, joyfully. Urge them to look for better days

 

To Thomas Rankin

LONDON, December 4, 1773.

DEAR TOMMY,--Captain Webb does not lie on purpose, but speaks recklessly; so that we must give great consideration to this whenever he speaks, otherwise we shall be deceived. But where is he now, and what is he doing? I'm afraid his wife needs patience.

If you allow someone to remain a leader who does not remain in the Society, it will be your fault. Unsuitable leaders should not be tolerated by any charge. You must also deal honestly with the Societies, whether they want to listen or abstain. Just don't continually tell them 'You're dead', as this will surely make them so. Strive to nourish their hope by speaking firmly and, at the same time, joyfully. Urge them to look for better days —yes, such as they have never seen until now.

I believe George Shadford will do well in New York. Robert Williams also for a while.

You have hurt yourself by giving in to reason, and if you do not take care of yourself, you will hurt others. There was much good done in America, and it would have been much more if Brother Boardman and Pilmoor had continued to be genuine Methodists, both in doctrine and in discipline. It is their role to provide what was lacking in them. That's why you're sent. Let Brother Shadford, Asbury, and you go hand in hand, and who can oppose you? Why, you are enough, trusting in the one who loves you, to turn America around. Go in his name and in the power of his power, and all his enemies will be counted liars.

Read David Brainerd again and see his pattern! He was a good soldier of Jesus. Ah! but first he suffered, and then he saw the fruit of his labor. Go and do the same!

I wrote to Robert Williams and gave him permission to print the Notes on my account; Nothing alone. I didn't know he did it until later.

Be brave! Strengthen yourself in the Lord, and you will see good days and send better tidings to, dear Tommy, your affectionate friend and brother. [38]

 

I'm not disappointed in my hope

 

When I myself was there, I expected that there would be a considerable work of God at the Waterford Circuit. So, I'm not disappointed in my hope.

 

LONDON. October 19, 1787.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- When I myself was there, I expected that there would be a considerable work of God at the Waterford Circuit. So, I'm not disappointed in my hope. But it won't be easy to get an additional preacher at this time of year, for all the preachers are already stationed and we have none left. I hope that neither you nor your colleague preach too loudly or for too long; Otherwise, they will soon take a singular pleasure in the devil by being unable to preach in any way like that. I have never bought a lottery ticket myself; But I don't blame those who do. -- I am, dear David,

Your affectionate friend and brother.

To Mr. David Gordon, in the preaching house. [39]

 

The full assurance of hope excludes all doubt about our final salvation

 

 It is true that the full assurance of hope excludes all doubt about our final salvation; but it does not and cannot continue any longer than walking closely with God

 

To Philothea Briggs

GALWAY, May 28, 1771.

MY DEAR PHILLY,-- Your concern is with the present moment; Your business is to live today. In every way, let tomorrow think for itself. It is true that the full assurance of hope excludes all doubt about our final salvation; but it does not and cannot continue any longer than to walk closely with God. And it does not include any guarantees about our future behavior; nor do I know of any word in the entire Bible that gives us authority to seek a testimony of this kind. But to some extent you can go to the present moment,--

I want the witness, Lord,

That everything I do is right,

According to Thy will and word,

Very pleasing in Your sight.

Earnestly and firmly, my dear maid, take aim at this, and you will not be disappointed in your hope.

As to the impression you mention, I doubt whether it is not a temptation of the enemy. It can cause a lot of bad moods; it can feed both pride and lack of charity. And the Bible does not give us the authority to think badly of anyone, except for simple, undeniable, explicit acts.

In Thoughts on a Single Life [published in 1765. See Works, xi. 456-63.] You have what has been my deliberate judgment for many years. I have not yet seen any reason to change it, although I have heard many objections. I do not know whether her particular case [See letter of May 2 to her.] is an exception to the general rule. It is true that their temperament is at once lively and unstable, and their passions are naturally strong. But this is not much: God's grace can totally subdue the most stubborn nature. So far, then, you can certainly go. Now you can dedicate yourself to the soul and body of God in its present state, and decide never to change it—without strong and urgent reasons. From the weight of these reasons too, not yourself, but your... [40]

 

The full assurance of hope

 

To be "sealed by the Spirit" in the full sense of the word I understand to imply two things: first, to receive the whole image of God, the whole mind that was in Christ, just as the wax receives the whole stamp of the seal when it is applied strongly and properly; second, the full assurance of hope, or a clear and abiding confidence of being with God in glory.

 

For Hannah Ball

PORTSMOUTH, October 4, 1771.

MY DEAR SISTER,-- To be 'sealed by the Spirit' in the full sense of the word I understand to imply two things: first, to receive the whole image of God, the whole mind that was in Christ, just as the wax receives the whole impression of the seal when it is applied strongly and properly; second, the full assurance of hope, or a clear and abiding confidence of being with God in glory. Any one of these can be given (and sometimes is, though not often) separated from the other. When the two are united, I believe they constitute that seal of the Spirit. But even this admits of varying degrees. A little bit of that, I trust you have. Watch and pray! Do and suffer all the will of him who calls you; and He will supply what is needed.--I am, my dear sister,

Your affectionate brother. [41]

 

You're not far from the hope of the gospel

 

It always gives me pleasure to hear that you are not far from the hope of the gospel. No wonder that as your desires grow in the whole image of God, so do your temptations, especially from that enemy of all righteousness

 

For Hannah Ball

LONDON, December 9, 1771.

MY DEAR SISTER,-- It always gives me pleasure to hear that you are not far from the hope of the gospel. No wonder that as your desires grow in the whole image of God, so do your temptations, especially from that enemy of all righteousness. I trust that Mr. Wells will be a blessing to you and to many,--especially if he visits from house to house; not only those with whom he eats or drinks, but the whole Company from one end of the city to the other. Advance with him by all means in this labor of love, though many difficulties accompany him. But what are the crosses and difficulties for those who experience the living power of divine faith? You can do all things through Christ by strengthening you, no matter how painful it may be for flesh and blood. Now may the return of health be a blessing to you. Spend and be spent by a good Master.--I am, my dear sister,

Your affectionate brother. [42]    

 

So that I have a good hope of not living to be useless

 

Even more surprising is that I find better health at sixty-eight than at twenty-eight. I have much less pain, less nausea in my stomach and fewer physical problems. So that I have a good hope of not living to be useless

 

To Mrs. Hall

CLONMAIN, June 24, 1771.

DEAR PATTY,--You can boldly say, 'I will have health if health is better'; Although, naturally, we shouldn't expect much of it when we're on the wrong side of sixty.

Even more surprising is that I find better health at sixty-eight than at twenty-eight. I have much less pain, less nausea in my stomach and fewer physical problems. So that I have a good hope of not living to be useless, but rather

My body with my load lay down,

And immediately stop working and living.

It means very little if the time we walk on earth is a little longer or shorter. Just let us take care of it,--

Whether they are many or few,

My days are due to Him,

And all are devoted to Him!

It seems that my sister Harper [Mrs. Harper passed away this year, at the age of eighty. See letter of June 30, 1743.] It will go out like a lamp for lack of oil. Well, may you and I live today.--I am, dear Patty,

His always affectionate friend and brother. [43]

 

 

I have a strong hope that you will get better

 

But the account you give me of the help given you in retirement has dispelled my fears, and I have a strong hope that you will improve to the utmost all the talents God has entrusted to you

 

To Elizabeth Morgan

LONDON, January 17, 1779.

It is a great pleasure to know that my dear Miss Helena S. Morgan is still studious in redeeming time, and that you had such a fair opportunity to improve it while you were away from Bristol.

I was really full of fears towards you, afraid that you were less useful than you might be. But the report you give me of the help given to you in retirement has dispelled my fears, and I have a strong hope that you will improve to the utmost all the talents God has entrusted to you.

But how slippery ground do you tread? It is unquestionably your duty to cultivate your understanding to the best of your ability. And yet, how difficult it is to do this without thinking of yourself more than you should, or placing too much emphasis on knowledge, as if it were a path on the same level as love. We allow it to have great value in its place—that is, subordinate to holiness as the handmaiden of love. But still, I trust that your heart says:

To love is all my desire!

I only live for this!

Let everything be ministered to this! This only thing let us do! Let's follow pure and immaculate love!

What a blessing it is that God has already given you a measure of it! But his soul does not cry out, —

A glimpse of love is not enough;

My soul, through all Thy presence, cries out

That He may give you a whole wish is the continual wish of, my dear Miss Helena. Morgan,

With all the affection.

For Miss Helena. Morgan, at Miss Morgan's house. Chapman, at Caroline Court, Bristol. [44]

 

We are saved by hope

 

You have nothing to do with fear. It is useless. We're saved by hope

 

To Alexander Knox

EDINBURGH, May 28, 1776.

MY DEAR ALLECK,-- I received yours a day or two ago, on my way back from the North of Scotland... I judge his disorder to be only partly natural and partly divine; the gift of God, perhaps, by the ministry of angels, to balance the natural petulance of youth; to save you from foolish desires; and to keep him steadfast in the search for that better part that will never be taken away from him. Whether you have more or less sadness doesn't matter; You just want more faith. That's the point. Dare to believe; on Christ; see all your sins upon Jesus, and by His bonds you will be healed. Most likely, if I live, I will be detained in London for a good part of next summer.

Look up! There is no health at hand, neither for the soul nor for the body! You have nothing to do with fear. It is useless. We are 'saved by hope.' . . . -I am, my dear Alleck,

With affection. [45]

 

Hope is ours

 

But spring will return. Fear nothing. The hope is ours. Fight and conquer

 

To Matthew Lowes LONDON, February 13, 1762.

MY DEAR BROTHER,-- ORDER ON BROTHER NEWALL, AS YOU SEE FIT. If he is not wanted at Manchester Round, I believe he would be welcome at James Oddie's. [See letters of August 15, 1761, and January 25, 1762 (to Lowes).]

You shouldn't be surprised if there are dead in many places during the winter. But spring will return. Fear nothing. The hope is ours. Fight and conquer.--I am your affectionate friend and brother.

 

Not even hope declines

 

Never let your faith leave your domain, Nor does hope decline, nor does love grow cold,

 

To Elizabeth Baker

SARUM, October 5, 1789.

MY DEAR BETSY, -- I have often thought of you and thought it had been a long time since I had heard from you. [See letters of September 16, 1788, and October 29, 1789.] This always pleases me very much, because I have found a lot of union with you since I saw you. Then I learned that you were with Jesus and drank in His spirit.

Never let your faith leave your domain,

Neither hope declines, nor love grows cold,

both in the case of Robert Humphrey and in that of the poor woman you mentioned. You will do well to write down everything of this kind that has come to your notice. The merciful Lord has done His wonderful works in such a way that they are to be kept in memory. These moments should certainly rev up your enthusiasm and increase your anticipation of having good days at Monmouth.

When Dr. [Papar] went to see his friend Dr. Curtis, he found mortification on the instep of the instep, where there was a black spot about the size of a crown. Mortification also began under his knee, where there was a circle.... and beside it a circle as [red] as scarlet. He told me to rub it with my hot hand... The parts were infused for half an hour with cooked camouflage... After a hot hand rub a mixture... This was done twice a day. In two or three days, Dr. Curtis was well. [Some part of the letter is missing, so the meaning is unclear.]

Please send me your receipt from the Hyaran... Behavior for me coming, my dear Betsy,

With great affection.

I'm going to London. [46]

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



[1] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1768/

[2] Overview of Google's AI mode.

[3] Overview of Google's AI mode.

[4] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1770/

[5] Overview of Google's AI mode.

[6] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1785/

[7]https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/eng/wen/1-peter-1.html

[8] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1770/

[9] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1770/

[10] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1773/

[11] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1778/

[12] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1772/

[13] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[14] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1772/

[15] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1772/

[16] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[17] The life of the Rev. John Wesley, M.A. by John Whitehead, 1793. 

[18] The life of the Rev. John Wesley, M.A. by John Whitehead, 1793. 

[19] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1783/  

[20] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1785/

[21] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1785/

[22] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1781b/

[23] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1770/

[24] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1769/

[25] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[26] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1753/

[27] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1772/

[28] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1777/

[29] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1777/

[30] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/

[31] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1777/

[32] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1777/

[33] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1778/

[34] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/

[35] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1772/

[36] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1768/

[37] https://wesleyscholar.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/Telford-Letters-vol-8.pdf

[38] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1773/

[39]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1787/

[40] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/

[41]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/

[42]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/

[43] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/

[44] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1779/

[45] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1776/

[46] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas deste blog