Marks of the
root of Methodism
Based on
Wesley's letters
Odilon
Massolar Chaves
Copyright
© 2026, Odilon Massolar Chaves
All rights
reserved to the author.
It is
allowed to read, copy and share for free.
Article
184 of the Penal Code and Law 96710 of February 19, 1998.
Books
published in the Wesleyan Digital Library: 852
Books
published by the author: 892
Illustration:
Favian EE. – The Methodist Church in Singapore
Odilon
Massolar Chaves is a retired Methodist pastor, with a doctorate in Theology and
History from the Methodist University of São Paulo.
Son of
Rev. Adherico Ribeiro Chaves and Roza Massolar Chaves.
He is
married to RoseMary.
He has two
daughters: Liliana and Luciana.
His thesis
dealt with the Methodist revival in England in the eighteenth century and its
contribution as a paradigm for our days.
Table of Contents
· Introduction
· Marks of the root of Methodism
· Attacking the root of Methodism
· It was a blow to the root of Methodism
· Root of Methodism
· Methodists have always stated
· A Simple Account of the People Called Methodist
· But they are nothing in the Methodist
constitution
· Good old Methodist discipline
· We Methodists have no such customs
· No Methodist
· Almost forgotten by the Methodists
· That is the glory of the Methodists
· The Methodists will abandon both
· An Oxford Methodist
· Methodist plan
· This doctrine is the great deposit that God
has deposited with the people called Methodists
· The Most Common Failure Among Methodists
· This is a Methodist rule
· They are not Methodists who cannot stand
restrictions
· Totally unfit to be a Methodist preacher
· Choosing stewards or leaders from among the
Methodists
· It is fitting that Methodists in all parts of
the world should be united
· Keeping all Methodists in Britain as a
connected people
· Do you know what the Methodists are?
· Methodists are to spread life among all
denominations
· The Methodist and the Biblical Method of
Salvation
· Are you a Methodist?
· Believers compete with the old English
Methodists
· The State of the English Methodists
· The marriage of a Methodist
· The Growth of the Methodists
· Methodist preachers, extraordinary messengers
of God
· Most Methodists are poor
· Methodists are one people throughout the
world
· Violent Jealousy Among Young People Is
Something Entirely New Among Methodists
· The main doctrine of the Methodists
· God's purpose raising up the Methodists
· The Methodist's Dress
· Methodists, who don't mind buying or even
reading
· This is the proper Methodist testimony
· Be Methodist Everywhere
· The Methodists, in general, could not stand
this
· The Methodists adopted the pattern of the
Quakers
· Preach the old Methodist doctrines
· Ancient Methodist principle
· A Methodist preacher has particular reasons
for valuing a single life
· The
fundamental doctrine of the people called Methodist
· Gossip among the Methodists
============================
Introduction
"Marks
of the Root of Methodism" is a 74-page book based on Wesley's letters.
Methodism
has its specific marks, which show its identity.
To Henry Brooke, on June 14, 1786, Wesley said:
"(...) we are not a particular sect or party, we are friends with
everyone, we do not quarrel with anyone for their opinions or mode of worship,
we love those in the Church where we were raised, but we do not impose them on
anyone; in some non-essential circumstances we vary somewhat from the usual
modes of worship, and have several small prudential aids peculiar to us.[1]
To the Editor of
'Lloyd's Evening, in 1760, Wesley said: "The fundamental doctrine of the
people called Methodist is: Whoever is saved, it is first of all necessary that
he have the true faith; — the faith that works out of love; which, through the
love of God and neighbor, produces both inward and outward holiness. This faith
is an evidence of things unseen; and he who believes in this way is
regenerated, or born of God; and he has the witness in himself." [2]
To Mary Bishop, on
October 18, 1778, Wesley stated, "God has certainly raised us chiefly to
the Church, that a little leaven may leaven the whole volume." [3]
In this book, we
highlight some marks of Methodism taken from Wesley's letters. Only with these
marks and emphases can we be considered genuinely Methodists.
The Author
============================
Marks of the root of Methodism
These are the main
marks of the root of Methodism:
"Warm heart: I had a real and personal experience with God, and not just an inherited or theoretical faith." [4]
To Mrs. Bennis, on January 18, 1774, Wesley said, "As to wanderings, I would do well to consider the sermon on Wandering Thoughts: I might also benefit from the Diary of Elizabeth Harper, the experience of which closely resembled his own, only it was simpler." [5]
"Faith with method: I practiced daily prayer, regular fasting, deep reading of the Bible and participation in the Lord's Supper". [6]
To James Macdonald, on October 23, 1790, Wesley said, "Exhort all our brethren to wait uponGod in the appointed means of prayer and fasting." [7]
"Social religion: He believed that 'the gospel knows no religion that is not social'; he went to the streets to visit the sick, the prisoners and the poor". [8]
To the Editor of 'Lloyd's Evening, in 1760, Wesley said: "The fundamental doctrine of the people called Methodist is: Whoever is saved, it is first of all necessary that he have the true faith; — the faith that works out of love; which, through the love of God and neighbor, produces both interior and exterior holiness." [9]
"Discipleship in small groups: He participated obligatorily in 'Classes' and 'Societies' to give an account of his moral and spiritual life." [10]
To Christopher Hopper, on September 3, 1763, Wesley said, "From the first hour, nothing of our Rules, either of the Society or of the bands. Be Methodist everywhere. Be accurate in everything. Be zealous; Be active. Go ahead to the one thing and carry everything in front of you." [11]
"Belief in grace and Christian perfection: He preached that God's grace truly transforms human beings, enabling them to love God and neighbor fully in this life." [12]
For Mrs.Woodhouse , on November 18, 1770, Wesley said, "It is certain that no one is a member of a Methodist Society who does not have a ticket. This is something necessary; But it's just a small one. The main point is to conform to the biblical method of salvation—to have the mind that was in Christ and to walk as Christ walked." [13]
In his letters, we
find several references to the Methodists:
Attacking the root of
Methodism
Let no
money or friend lead you to propagate a lie, to attack the root of Methodism,
to lament the holiest of your friends, and to put your own soul at risk!
To Lady Maxwell
LONDON, September 30, 1788.
My DEAR MALADY, -- For many years a great
person has professed and, I believe, had great regard for me. [The Countess of
Huntingdon.] That is why I believed it my duty to speak with complete freedom,
which I did in a long letter. But she was so displeased that she said to a
friend, 'I hate Mr. Wesley above all the creatures on earth.'
I now believe it is my duty to write freely
to you. Will it have the same effect? Certainly I would not be at risk if I did
not consider your happiness more than your favor. Therefore, I will speak. May
God grant that you not only forgive this, but also profit from it! In fact,
unless you profit from it, I don't expect you to forgive.
Be glad to note that I am not saying
anything; I only ask you to consider calmly: it would be a struggle for me to
propagate a doctrine which I believed to be false, especially if it were not
only false, but dangerous to the souls of men, often hindering their growth in
grace, hindering their pursuit of holiness
And is it fighting on you to do that? You
believe that the doctrine of Absolute Predestination is false. Is it, then,
right that you propagate this doctrine in any kind or degree, especially since
it is not only false, but a very dangerous doctrine, as we have seen a thousand
times? It does not hinder the work of God in the soul, it feeds all evil and
weakens all good cheers, it leads many away from the path of life and leads
them back to perdition
Is not Calvinism the very antidote to
Methodism, the deadliest and most successful enemy it ever had? 'But my friend
desired me to propagate it, and he deposited money with me for the same
purpose.' What then? Can I destroy souls because my friend wished me to? You
should not, before you throw this money into the sea, let no money or friend
lead you to propagate a lie, to attack the root of Methodism, to lament the
holiest of your friends, and to put your own soul at risk!
Living or dying, I always will be, my dear
Lady,
Your most affectionate servant. [14]
It was a blow to the root
of Methodism
Do you not see, then, that
Brother M'Nab, whatever his intentions, acted as wrong as possible, and that
the representation of this as the common cause of the preachers was the way to
common destruction, the way to turn all heads and put them in arms? It was a
blow to the root of Methodism. Therefore, I could not do less than I did; It
was the least that could be done, for fear that evil would spread.
For Thomas Taylor
LONDON, January 1780.
MY DEAR BROTHER, - It seems
that you have not well considered the Rules of an Helper or the rise of
Methodism. It pleased me to that they desired me as a favor so that I could
guide them in everything. After my return from Georgia, many were both awakened
and converted to God. One, another, and another of them desired to join me as
children in the gospel, to be led by me. I drew up some simple rules (note,
there was no Conference in existence!) and allowed them to join me under these
conditions. Therefore, whoever violates the conditions, especially that of
being directed by me in the work, ipso facto disengages himself from me. This
Brother M'Nab has done (but he cannot see that he has done anything wrong); And
he wanted it to be common cause—that is, for all preachers to do the same. He
thinks that 'they have the right to do this.' And they do. They have the right
to part with me whenever they want. But they cannot, by the nature of the
thing, unite with me any longer than they are directed by me. What if fifty of
today's preachers were to break up! What would I lose like this? Just a lot of
work and care, which I don't seek, but endure, because no one else can or wants
to.
You also seem to have a
very wrong idea of a Conference. For more than six years after my return to
England, this did not exist. So I wished that some of our preachers would find
me, to counsel me, not to control me. And you can see that they had no power
except what I exercised through them. I chose to exercise the power God gave me
in this way, both to avoid ostentation and to gently habituate people to obey
them when I was taken out of their heads. But as long as I remain with them,
the fundamental rule of Methodism remains inviolable. As long as any preacher
joins me, he must be guided by me in his work. Do you not see, then, that
Brother M'Nab, whatever his intentions, acted as wrong as possible, and that
the representation of this as the common cause of the preachers was the way to
common destruction, the way to turn all heads and put them in arms? It was a
blow to the root of Methodism. Therefore, I could not do less than I did; It
was the least that could be done, for fear that evil would spread.
I don't talk about these
things voluntarily; But I do it now out of necessity, because I find that your
mind and that of some others is a little hurt by not seeing them in a true way.
- I'm
Your affectionate brother. [15]
Root of Methodism
I would like Brother Creighton, Moore,
Rankin, and you to spend an hour together, for it is a point of the utmost
importance, and to consider what steps should be taken in this matter. Can this
be manipulated? If so, I fear it will be a blow at the root of Methodism.
For
Peard Dickinson
DUBLIN, April 11, 1789.
MY DEAR BROTHER, -- As soon
as Sister Dickinson can go abroad, let her begin her labor of love. In
situations of this type, delays in particular are dangerous. Every good purpose
will grow cold and die if it is not put into practice as soon as possible. But
we can't undertake too much at once. Generally, one visit is enough for a day,
and this should not last more than half an hour, or a maximum of one hour.
I wrote a few days ago to
Mr. Hanby about his baptism and administration of the Lord's Supper wherever he
goes. He replies to me, 'He still intends to do this, for he believes it is his
duty.' I would like Brother Creighton, Moore, Rankin, and you to spend an hour
together, for it is a point of the utmost importance, and to consider what
steps should be taken in this matter. Can this be manipulated? If so, I fear it
will be a blow at the root of Methodism. And if not, you see the consequence:
he'll join John Atlay. Consider also another point: we must allow Dr. Coke to
choose, one after another, the best of our young preachers [Evidently by his
missionary work.] Peace be with your spirits! -- I am
Your affectionate friend
and brother. [16]
Methodists have always stated
The Methodists have always considered, and
have declared a thousand times, that the death of Christ is the meritorious
cause of our salvation—that is, of pardon, holiness, and glory; Loving,
obedient faith is the condition of glory
For Ms. Bennis
LEEDS, May 2, 1774.
MY DEAR SISTER,-- Until Mr.
Hill and his associates discovered the cause, it was as clear as it could be.
The Methodists have always considered, and have declared a thousand times, that
the death of Christ is the meritorious cause of our salvation—that is, of
pardon, holiness, and glory; Loving, obedient faith is the condition of glory.
This Mr. Fletcher illustrated and confirmed as much, as I think almost no one
has done since the Apostles.
When Mr. Wrigley wrote me a
strong letter about the abuse he received from the young men in Limerick, and
his determination to expel them all from the Society if they did not
acknowledge their guilt, I was very curious as to what might be going on, and I
just wrote to him: 'I never expel anyone from our Society for anything they say
about me.' You arrived just in time to make amends. Go ahead, and prosper.
You always affectionate. [17]
A Simple Account of the People Called Methodist
In that little pamphlet, A Simple Account of the
People called Methodist, you see our whole plan. We have only one point in
mind—to be fully Christian, biblical Christians, rational
To Mary Bishop
IPSWICH, November 5,
1769.
DEAR MISS
BISHOP,--When I was last in Bath, [about September 21.] Mr. Hodsal told me that
Miss Bishop would be glad to see me. But as I didn't really know her, and
didn't have an hour to spare, I didn't think about it anymore until yesterday,
when I heard from Miss Helena. March, who gave me a private account of his
situation.
We have had a Society
in Bath for about thirty years, sometimes larger, sometimes smaller. [See Wes.
Methamphetamine. Mag. 1846, pp.1088-1825. The chapel was then on Avon Street.]
It was very small this fall, consisting of only eleven or twelve people, of
which Michael Hemmings was the leader. I spoke to them one by one, added nine
or ten more, divided them into two classes, and assigned half of them to meet
with Joseph Harris. But if you are willing to join us, I would rather have
those unmarried women of both classes who desire it meet with you and any
others who are not afraid of Christ's rebuke. In that little pamphlet, A Simple
Account of the People called Methodists, you see our whole plan. [See letter in
December 1748 to Vincent Perronet.] We have only one point in mind—to be fully
Christian, biblical Christians, rational. As far as we know, not only the
world, but the quasi-Christians, will never forgive us. From them, therefore,
if they unite heart and hand with us, they are to expect neither justice nor
mercy. If you're determined, let me know. But consider what you do. Can you
give up everything for Christ of the hope of improving your fortune, a
righteous reputation, and pleasant friends? Can He repair all this? Is it alone
a sufficient portion? I think you'll find it like this. And if you were as
devoted to God as my dear Jenny Cooper, you would never have reason to regret
your choice, neither in time nor in eternity.
I never thought about
giving our room to anyone in the world. What I wrote to Lady Huntingdon [See
letter of November 22.] was: 'I am willing that your preachers should have as
much use and free of it as ours.' I couldn't go beyond that: I don't have the
right to do that. I hope you will send me as specific an account as possible of
everything that has happened recently and the current state of affairs. The
more freely you write, the more enjoyable it will be
Your affectionate
brother.
PS.--You can direct
to London. For Miss Helena. Bishop, in the vineyard, Bath. [18]
But they are nothing
in the Methodist constitution
The Assistant needs, in
most places, to have a rigorous look at the leaders; but they are nothing in
the Methodist constitution, only unmarried men who work for the Assistant for
as long as and as far as he pleases
To
Richard Rodda
BRISTOL, March 11, 1789.
MY DEAR BROTHER, -- I hope
to be with you on Good Friday between one and two o'clock. Then you get rid of
me as you see fit by Easter Monday afternoon; but that day I must dine with Sir
Philip Gibbes at Hilton Park.
Your affectionate
friend and brother. [19]
Good
old Methodist discipline
I'm
glad to know that the Lord's work still thrives in your hands. But it takes a
lot of stability, or you won't be able to keep up the good old Methodist
discipline
To
Samuel Bardsley
CARLOW, April 26, 1789.
DEAR SAMMY, -- I am glad to
know that the work of the Lord still prospers in your hands. But it takes a lot
of stability, or you won't be able to keep up the good old Methodist
discipline. Brother Rhodes desires to do this; And it will be right that you strengthen
his hands on him. [See letter of January 7.] Let the preachers stand firm
together, and then the people will be regular; But if any of you take your side
against the preacher, it will all be confusion. Since you want that, you can
come to the Conference. -- I am, dear Sammy,
Your affectionate brother. [20]
We
Methodists have no such customs
We recognize only
preachers, administrators, and leaders among us, over whom the Assistant of
each circuit presides. You should have followed the Methodist plan from the
beginning
To
Jonathan Crowther
CORK, May 20, 1789.
MY DEAR BROTHER, --
'Sessions!' 'Elders!' We Methodists have no such customs, nor do any of the
Churches of God under my care. I demand that you, Jonathan Crowther,
immediately dissolve that session (so called) in Glasgow. Release them from
further meetings. And if they are going to leave the Society, let them leave
it. We recognize only preachers, administrators, and leaders among us, over
whom the Assistant of each circuit presides. You should have followed the
Methodist plan from the beginning. Who would have the authority to depart from
it? If the people of Glasgow or anywhere else are tired of us, we will leave it
to our own devices. But we are willing to continue his servants, for God's
sake, according to our own discipline, but no other. -- I am, dear Jonathan,
Your affectionate friend
and brother. [21]
No Methodist
No
Methodist (let alone a preacher) should marry a woman without the consent of
her parents
To Rebecca Ingram
DUBLIN, June 28, 1789.
MY DEAR BECKY, -- I will
tell you my thoughts without the slightest reservation. These are the rules of
the Great Minutes of the Conference — that 'no Methodist (let alone a preacher)
should marry a woman without the consent of her parents'; and the same is
insisted upon in one of the sermons in the Arminian Magazine. Therefore, I
cannot commend Mr. Brown for having said something to you on this subject
without your father's consent. [See the April 9 and July 5 letters to her.] But
I extremely approve of his current temperament and behavior. I commend your
resignation to God's will. Stay there! Beware of murmurs; beware of worries;
Beware of the sadness that death generates! I recommend you to the one who can
save you to the fullest; and I am, my dear Becky,
Yours. [22]
Almost forgotten by the
Methodists
I am
glad to know that the Lord's work prospers so much in your hands. So it will be
as long as you do not hesitate to declare the whole counsel of God. There is
one part of it which seems to be almost forgotten by Methodists in all three
kingdoms—namely, the Christian duty of fasting
To Adam Clarke
LONDON, February 12, 1785.
DEAR ADAM, - I do not
remember seeing that letter from Norwich, otherwise I would certainly have
replied. If you build in St. Austell, be careful not to make the house too
small. And take note of the guidelines that are given in the Great Proceedings
of the Conference.
I am glad to know that the
Lord's work prospers so much in your hands. So it will be as long as you do not
hesitate to declare the whole counsel of God. There is one part of it which
seems to be almost forgotten by the Methodists in all three kingdoms—namely,
the Christian duty of fasting; and yet our Lord attaches a peculiar promise
even to the secret fast: 'The Father that boileth in secret, He shall reward
thee openly.' You can begin to recommend this by reading the sermon on fasting
to the whole society. [See Works, v. 344-60.] The blessing would soon come. - I
am, dear Adam,
With affection. [23]
That is the glory of the
Methodists
For
John Grace
LONDON, October 25, 1789.
MY DEAR BROTHER, -- I
expected Brother Smith to be useful in Londonderry; for the power of God
accompanies his word, and he sends by whom he will send without asking the
counsel of man.
You do well in morning
preaching: that is the glory of the Methodists. Whenever morning preaching is
abandoned, glory departs from us.
If Strabane receives the
gospel, we can certainly say that there is nothing too hard for God; and
nothing will be too difficult for you to lean on His strength, and to go hand
in hand, desiring only to do and suffer His holy and acceptable will.
Peace be with all your
spirits! -- I am
Your affectionate friend
and brother. [24]
The
Methodists will abandon both
I am at my limit in
regard to two things—the Church and Christian Perfection. Unless you and I stay
in the gap with a lot of will, the Methodists will abandon both. Talking is no
use. We must act, or we will be taken away. Will you stand side by side?
To your brother Charles
EDINBURGH, May 14,
1768.
DEAR BROTHER,-- It's
good that Sally R is at peace. I was long ago convinced that if she continued
to stop him, God, in mercy on both of them, would take her out of here.
I'm glad Mr. Fletcher
was with you. But if the tutor fails, what will become of our school in
Trevecca. Have you ever seen anything stranger than their institution plan?
Pray who wrote it, man or woman I am afraid that the visitor will also fail. [Fletcher was the visitor.]
The archers here
severely wounded Lord Buchan. [The Earl of Buchan died December 1, 1767, and
his son succeeded him at the age of twenty-four.] But if Isaac stays with you
in London, what do the Bristol Butlers have to do with him? They can then
easily find their equal; For in relation to them he is equal to—nothing.
I am at my limit in
regard to two things—the Church and Christian Perfection. Unless you and I stay
in the gap with a lot of will, the Methodists will abandon both. Talking is no
use. We must act, or we will be taken away. Will you stand side by side? If so,
think deeply about it and tell me what can be done. Age, come this! intendas
tuos nerves. ['Come, be a man! Stretch your nerves.' The last three words are
from Terence's Eunuch II. iii. 19.] Peace be with you and yours! Goodbye. [25]
An Oxford Methodist
To
your brother Charles
SHOREHAM, December 15,
1772.
DEAR BROTHER,--I have
scarcely had a day in London, except Sundays and visiting hours. Dr. Ford never
came close to me, nor very close to Billy Ley. Fear evadir, erupit [In Cicero's
Catilinam, ii. II: 'He disappeared, he escaped' (Cicero on Catiline)]. I wrote
to Mr. Fletcher today. When Mr. Hill is going to fall on me next, Mr. Fletcher
will have a little time to breathe, and probably a little longer while Mr. Hill
digests my answer; for whom I think together we will find work for some time.
Now, you are not going to
stand shoulder to shoulder, or you can say something about the Church; But two
are better than m. If we live till August, stay by my side, and we will close
the matter [See letter of May 30, 1773].
I believe we can count on
Captain [Webb. See letter from November.] over America. He has stayed long
enough with you: send him to us.
I often shout, Vitae me
redde priori! [Epistles of Horace, I. vii. 95: 'Give me back my former life.']
Let me be an Oxford Methodist again! I am often in doubt whether it would not
be better for me to take up all my Oxford rules, great and small. So, I walked
closely with God and redeemed time. But what have I been doing these thirty
years
My love to all. Goodbye! [26]
Methodist plan
If the Trustees establish
the Birstall House on the Methodist plan, I will sign the deed
'If the trustees establish
the Birstall house on the Methodist plan, I will sign their deed with all my
heart; but if they build a house for a Presbyterian meeting house, I will not
dare have any involvement with it.'
To
your brother Charles
ALNWICK, May 28, 1782.
DEAR BROTHER, -- The story
is this: When I was at Dawgreen, near Birstall, the trustees of Birstall
brought me a deed, which they read and asked me to sign. We discussed it for
about an hour. So I gave a positive answer that 'I wouldn't sign'; and, leaving
them abruptly, he went upstairs to my room.
About noon, I preached at
Horbury. In the evening I preached and met the Society at Wakefield. [He was at
Wakefield on April 10, 1780.] In the evening, just before I went to sleep, the
healers came again, turned around and left me worried. But I don't think they
can worry you. He cannot write very correctly to Mr. Valton–'If the trustees
will establish the Birstall house on the Methodist plan, I will sign their deed
with all my heart; but if they build a house for a Presbyterian meeting house,
I will not dare have any involvement with it.' I have never sent a letter of
power of attorney on such an occasion, nor have I written in any other form
than this: 'Your reception will be your discharge.' If the executor says, 'I
will not pay with such a receipt,' I will send a letter of power of attorney.
The beginning of Rodney's
account is totally old-fashioned. [News arrived in early May of Rodney's great
victory over the French Navy near the island of Dominica on April 12.] I wonder
how it got into his head. We "win God on our side" with the continual
prayer of thousands. You can send me Cicero, Fabritius and the American War,
along with the next Magazines, to York. I hope to be ten or twelve days in
Edinburgh and its environs, and about the 17th of June in Newcastle.
Peace be with you all!
Goodbye! [27]
This doctrine is the great
deposit that God has deposited with the people called Methodists
To
Robert Carr Brackenbury
BRISTOL,
September 15, 1790.
DEAR SIR, -- Your letter has given me great
satisfaction. I wanted to know where and how you were; And I'm glad to see that
you're better in your physical health, and not tired and dizzy in mind. [See
letters of November 7, 1788 and December 7, 1790 to him.] My body seems to have
almost done its job and is almost exhausted. Last month, my strength had almost
run out, and I could have been almost stationary from dawn to night. [The Diary
shows that he was far from idle, despite his weakness. See Diary, viii. 83-90
(Diary for August), 94.] But, bless God, I walked a little sideways and took
turns to preach once a day. On Monday, I went a little further; and after
preaching three times (once in the open air), I found my strength so restored
that I could have preached again without inconvenience. I am glad that Brother
D----- has more light regarding complete sanctification. [It was William
Dieuside, in Guernsey] This doctrine is the great deposit that God deposited
with the people called Methodists; and to propagate this in headship, He seemed
to have raised us up.
I congratulate you for being loose with
everyone below, firm in the freedom with which Christ has set you free. Riding
moderately, particularly in the south of England, would improve your health. If
you choose to accompany me on any of my little trips this side of Christmas,
whenever you are tired you can get into my carriage. I'm not as ready to be a
writer as I was before; but I bless God that I can scribble a little—enough to
assure you that I do, dear sir;
Your affectionate friend and brother. [28]
The Most Common Failure Among Methodists
In every place there is a remarkable blessing
in the prayer meetings. A revival of God's work is usually a consequence of
them. The most common fault among Methodists is that they are overly expressed
in religion. We are constantly forgetting that the kingdom of God is within us
To John Valton
NORWICH,
November 12, 1771.
MY DEAR BROTHER,-- Many of
our brethren began to help their neighbors in the principles of Primitive
Physics. At first, they prescribed only simple things, and God blessed their
labors. But they rarely continued as they began; They have become increasingly
complex in their prescriptions. Beware of this; Keep it simple. One thing will
almost always be better than two.
I think there's a small
snippet of the kind you mentioned among those donated by the Society for
Promoting Christian Knowledge. If so, I can easily sum it up in a penny
brochure. Dr. Tissot wrote for Swiss constitutions: we must consider English,
which is generally less robust.
Your affectionate brother.
To Mr. John Valton, in
Purfleet. [29]
This is a Methodist rule
As I have already done. has begun, since men
and women are already separated in the chapel of Manchester, I ask Brother
Brocklehurst and you will resolutely continue this separation. This is a
Methodist rule
To John Valton
WARRINGTON, April 9, 1781.
MY DEAR BROTHER, -- As I
have already done. began, since men and women are already separated in the
chapel of Manchester, I request Brother Brocklehurst [See letter of October 1,
1780 to Valton.] and you will resolutely continue this separation. This is a
Methodist rule, not based on whims, but on a clear and solid reason; and this
has been observed in Manchester for several years: in general, we have lost
nothing for it either. By admitting the contrary practice, by mixing men and
women, you would exclude me from the house; for if I enter into a Methodist
preaching in that case, I must immediately leave again. But I hope that never
happens; I think you have more consideration for
Your affectionate friend
and brother.
To Mr. Valton, in the
Preaching House,
Manchester.
In his absence to be
delivered to Mr.
Brocklehurst. [30]
They are
not Methodists who cannot stand restrictions
Better forty members must be lost than our lost
discipline. They are not Methodists who cannot stand restrictions. Explain this
in a general way to Society
To
John Valton
LONDON, January 18, 1782.
MY DEAR BROTHER, -- I
received the first two leaves of your life. Don't be afraid to write too much;
I can easily leave out what can be saved. It pleased God to guide John Haime
and you a long way through the desert. Others He leads by a shorter and smoother
path; And yet to the same point: for we must not imagine that such a degree of
suffering is necessary to any degree of holiness. In this respect, God
certainly acts as a Sovereign; giving what He wants, and by what means He
wants. I believe that the holiest man who ever lived was the Apostle John;
Still, it seems to have suffered very little.
You must take care never to
write for too long, and always to write standing up; Never, in any way, support
yourself on your stomach. God gives me exactly the strength I had thirty years
ago. I cannot allow John Sellars [See letter of January 7.] to continue to be a
leader; and if he leads the class, whether I like it or not, I demand that you
expel him from our Society. If twenty of their class are also going to leave
the Society, they should leave. The first defeat is the best. Better forty
members must be lost than our lost discipline. They are not Methodists who
cannot stand restrictions. Explain this in a general way to the Society. -- I
am
Your affectionate friend
and brother. [31]
Totally unfit to be a
Methodist preacher
He was indeed a dangerous
man. His bitter enmity against the Church made him utterly unfit to be a
Methodist preacher
To Thomas Tattershall
NEAR LONDON, JANUARY 6, 1790.
DEAR TOMMY, -- Because you want some word
that I write, though I have no news ready. I don't know any preacher who is
ready to go out now; And you know we can neither buy nor hire preachers. Still,
I don't regret that your little friend [William Green, your colleague. See the
letter of October 25, 1789 to him.] he walked away; for he was indeed a
dangerous man. His bitter enmity against the Church made him utterly unfit to
be a Methodist preacher; and his elaborate Discourse against Going to Church
was enough to confuse anyone who was not accustomed to controversy. Still, I
didn't dare arrest him; But I don't regret the slightest thing that he left. I
will not be bold to take it again; but in any other way I would be happy to
help you. I wouldn't hesitate to give him a few pounds if it would do any
benefit. -- I am, dear Tommy,
Your affectionate friend and brother. [32]
Choosing stewards or leaders from among the Methodists
As long
as I live, the people will have no share in the choice of stewards or leaders
among the Methodists. We have never had and never had such a custom. We're not
Republicans, and we never pretend to be
For John Mason
NEAR LONDON, JANUARY 13, 1790.
MY DEAR BROTHER, -- As long as I live, the
people will have no share in the choice of stewards or leaders among the
Methodists. We have never had and never had such a custom. We are not
Republicans, and we never pretend to be. It would be better for those who have
this mind to go away quietly. I have been uniform in both doctrine and
discipline for more than fifty years; And it's already a little too late for me
to take a new path now that I'm gray-haired. Nor good old Brother Pascoe
[Probably the grocer of St. John's, Cornwall, who received the preacher there.
His brother's wife was a mother of Methodism in Sithney. See Diary, iii. 261N;
Methodist Mag., 1801, p. 483.] (God bless you!) expects it from me, nor from
Brother Wood, [Richard Wood, of Port Isaac. See Diary, v. 283.] nor Brother
Flamank. [See letter of June 9, 1789.] If you and I are called this year, may
we bless God that we have not lived in vain. Come, let us strike a few more
blows at Satan's kingdom, and then we shall depart in peace! -- I am
Your affectionate friend and brother. [33]
It is fitting that
Methodists in all parts of the world should be united
It is fitting that Methodists in all parts of
the world should be united as closely as possible
For Thomas Morrell
LONDON, February 4, 1790.
MY DEAR BROTHER, -- You have given me a very
pleasant account of the progress of the gospel in America. One would expect the
time to draw near when the earth would be filled with the knowledge of the
glory of the Lord. Indeed, the incredible revolutions that took place in Europe
[The Estates-General met on May 5, 1789. The Bastille was destroyed on 14 July,
and the royal family was arrested on 5 October. See March letter to William
Black.] seem to be the forerunners of the same great event. It is true that the
poor infidels who know nothing of God, have no such intention or thought. But
the Lord is seated above the floods, the Lord remains king forever. In the
meantime, it is expedient that Methodists in all parts of the world should be
united as closely as possible. May we all be one is the prayer of...
Your affectionate friend and brother.
I have seen nothing of Brother Garrettson's
letter. [This probably refers to a letter with his Diary, which sank along with
the ship that carried it. See Garrettson de Bangs, p. 176; and previous
letter.] [34]
Keeping all Methodists in
Britain as a connected people
I have only one thing in
mind -- to keep all the Methodists of Great Britain as a connected people. But
this cannot be done unless the Conference, and not the trustees, appoint all
its preachers
BATH,
March 3, 1790.
MY DEAR
BROTHER, -- I have only one thing in mind -- to keep all the Methodists of
Great Britain as a connected people. But this cannot be done unless the
Conference, and not the trustees, appoint all its preachers. Therefore the
title which I recommend to the owners of all the unestablished preaching houses
is as follows: 'The condition of this obligation is such that, if A, B, C, D,
etc., the owners of the preaching house at Trowbridge, recently built for the
use of the Methodists, grant a security to establish the said house in seven
trustees chosen by Mr. Wesley as soon as the present debt upon it shall be
paid, then this bond is void: otherwise
it shall remain in full force.' Long texts I abhor. This is neither too long
nor too short. Any of you who write fairly can write this down if it is on
properly stamped paper, without a lawyer. -- I am, my dear brothers,
Your
affectionate brother. [35]
Do you know what the Methodists are?
Do you know what the Methodists are? That many thousands of them are
zealous members of the Church of England, and strongly attached not only to Her
Majesty, but also to her present Ministry
To Dr. Pretyman Tomline, Bishop of Lincoln
MY LORD, -- I am a dying man, already having
one foot in the grave. Humanly speaking, I cannot walk long on earth, being now
near ninety years of age than eighty years old. But I cannot die in peace until
I have fulfilled this office of Christian love to Your Lordship. I write
unceremoniously, for I neither expect nor fear anything from your Lordship or
from any living man. And I ask, in the name and presence of Him to whom both
you and I will render an account, why do you bother those who are quiet on earth,
those who fear God and do justice? Do you know what the Methodists are? That
many thousands of them are zealous members of the Church of England, and
strongly attached not only to His Majesty, but also to his present Ministry.
Why would you, leaving religion out of the question, have such a respectable
group of friends? Is it because of religious feelings? Alas, my Lord! Is this a
time to persecute any man out of conscience? I beg you, my lord, to do what you
would have done. You are a sensible man; You are a man of knowledge; No, I
really believe (which is infinitely more valuable), that you are a godly man.
So think, and let think. I pray God to bless you with the choicest of His
blessings. -- It is I, my Lord, etc. [36]
Methodists are to spread life
among all denominations
I don't know what you mean by talking about 'about the Church'. I advise
all our brethren who have been raised in the Church to remain there; And then I
leave the subject. Methodists are to spread life among all denominations; what
they will do until they form a separate sect
For Thomas Taylor
MANCHESTER, April 4, 1790.
DEAR TOMMY, -- I did not approve of Dr. Coke
making charges, neither on his own nor on any other circuit. I told him that,
and I'm not at all pleased with what he did. It was very badly done.
It is extremely likely that bathing in the
sea will be useful to the Simpson brother; especially if it is temperate in
everything, especially in that which one can scarcely name. [William Simpson
was Taylor's classmate at Hull.]
Always yours. [37]
The Methodist and the
Biblical Method of Salvation
It is certain that no one
is a member of a Methodist Society who does not have a ticket. This is
something necessary; But it's just a small one. The main point is to conform to
the biblical method of salvation—to have the mind that was in Christ and to walk
as Christ walked.
For Mrs.Woodhouse
LONDON, November 18, 1770.
MY DEAREST SISTER,-- It
always gives me pleasure to hear from you and to know that your soul prospers;
as well as the work of God in various places, and hopefully in Lincolnshire. It
will certainly happen if Mr. Ellis is strict in discipline. It is certain that
no one is a member of a Methodist Society who does not have a ticket. This is
something necessary; But it's just a small one. The main point is to conform to
the biblical method of salvation—to have the mind that was in Christ and to
walk as Christ walked. I hope all three of your preachers will insist on this,
which is the very essence of Christian perfection. And why should my dear
friend, in spite of a thousand temptations, go through this every day?
This morning I am to preach
Mr. Whitefield's funeral sermon in the chapel of Tottenham Court Road and in
the Tabernacle in the evening. It is true that it will be impossible, humanly
speaking, for my voice to fill any of these places; especially if it is as full
as a beehive and, consequently, as hot as an oven. But nothing is impossible
with God. Let us trust Him, and He will make it all right--I am, my dear
sister,
Your affectionate brother.
To Mrs. Woodhouse, Owston
Ferry. [38]
Are you a Methodist?
You, as it were, ask my advice. But I don't know
anything about it: you should have talked to me when I saw you. Is the person a
believer? Are you a Methodist? Are you a member of our Society? Is it clear as
to the doctrine of Perfection? Are you thirsty for it? If you fail in any of
these details, I fear that it will be a hindrance to you rather than a help.
To Jane Hilton
BRISTOL, September
30, 1768.
Indeed, Jenny, you
barely deserve to hear from me. What, discouraged me with a two-line letter!
See if you redeem me for your neighbor's time; otherwise I'll be mad at you if
I can.
Your affectionate
brother. [39]
Believers compete
with the old English Methodists
There is a blessed work in The Hague,
Amsterdam, Utrecht, and many other major cities; and in their simplicity of
spirit and simplicity of dress, believers compete with the old English
Methodists
For
Ms. Barton
LONDON, July 5, 1783.
MY DEAR SISTER, -- Last
month I made a short trip to Holland, from which I returned yesterday. [He
arrived in London about eleven o'clock on the evening of Friday, July 4. For
the visit, see Diary, vi. 416-30.] There is a blessed work in The Hague, Amsterdam,
Utrecht, and many other major cities; and in their simplicity of spirit and
simplicity of dress, the believers compete with the old English Methodists. In
affection, they are inferior to no one. It was with extreme difficulty that we
managed to get rid of them.
I am glad to hear such a
good account from my two little maids. [Mrs. Barton's daughters (see letter of
November 6). He was there in May, 1782.] I found a lot of love for them when I
was in Beverley. Now is the time to choose that better part that will never be
taken away from you. Now is the time to choose whether you will seek happiness
in God or in the world. The world has never made anyone happy, and it is
certain that it never will. But God wills it. He says,—
Love will obtain from me
returns of love;
And none who seeks Me early
seeks in vain.
-- I am, with love to
Brother Barton, [40]
The State of the English Methodists
You do not know the state of the English
Methodists. They do not become money, like many American Methodists. It is with
extreme difficulty that we can raise five or six hundred pounds a year to meet
our own contingent expenses.
DUBLIN,
June 26, 1785.
MY
DEAR BROTHER, - Dr. Coke gives an account of you in one of his Diaries; So,
though I have not seen you, I am no stranger to your character. Please send me,
when you have the opportunity, a more particular account of your experiences
and travels. However, it is not unlikely that God will find a way for you to
visit England; And it can be a way for you to receive more strength, as well as
more light. It is very desirable that the children of God should communicate
their experiences to one another; And it's usually more profitable when they
manage to do it in person. Until Providence opens a way for you to see Europe
do all it can for a good Master in America.
I am
glad that Brother Cromwell and you have done this labour of love, visiting Nova
Scotia, and do not doubt that you act in full harmony with the little handful
who were almost alone until you arrived. It will be the wisest way to make all
those who wish to unite thoroughly acquainted with the whole Methodist plan,
and to accustom them from the first to the precise observance of all our rules.
Let none of them rest in being half Christian. Whatever they do, let them do it
with their strength; and it will be better, as soon as any of them find peace
with God, to exhort them to go on to perfection. The stronger and more vigilant
you press all believers to aspire to entire sanctification, as possible now by
simple faith, the more will all the work of God prosper.
I do
not expect great matters from the Bishop. I doubt that his eye is not single;
And if it is not, it will do little good either to you or to anyone else. It
can be a comfort for you to know that you don't need it. You don't want anything he can give.
It
is a noble proposal of Mr. Marchington's; But I doubt that this will not
happen. You do not know the state of the English Methodists. They do not become
money, like many American Methodists. It is with extreme difficulty that we can
raise five or six hundred pounds a year to meet our own contingent expenses. So
that it is utterly impracticable to raise five hundred pounds between them to
build houses in America. It is true that they could do a great deal; But it is
sad to observe that those who have more money usually have less elegance.
May
God's peace be with all your spirits! - I'm
Your
affectionate friend and brother.
To Mr. Garrettson, to Mr.
Philip Marchington. [41]
The marriage of a Methodist
Please write strongly on his head, and show
him the sinfulness of such a procedure: reminding him that if he were to marry
a person without the consent of his parents, he would thus exclude himself from
the Methodist Connection.
To
John Bredin
LIVERPOOL, April 10, 1782.
MY DEAR BROTHER, -- I have
a letter from Mrs. Davenport, informing you that Hugh Moore offered marriage to
Kitty Davenport without the consent of her parents. [Evidently, Hugh Moore,
preacher in Londonderry. See the August 4 letter to Bredin.] Please write
strongly on his head, and show him the sinfulness of such a procedure:
reminding him that if he were to marry a person without the consent of his
parents, he would thus exclude himself from the Methodist Connection. May he
remember John Prickard's exemplary behavior on similar occasions. If he really
promises to drop the case altogether, he can come to Coleraine as usual. If he
doesn't want to, he shouldn't go back there. -- I am
Your affectionate friend
and brother. [42]
The Growth of
the Methodists
In these fifty years, the substance of the
Methodists increases in proportion to their number
Societies
in England and Ireland
LONDON, August 2, 1788.
Fifty years ago, and for
several years afterward, all our preachers were single men, when, in time, some
of them married. Those with whom they worked maintained both themselves and
their wives, and there was no fixed allowance for either of them. But more than
thirty years ago it was considered more convenient to fix a declared concession
for both; And this was discovered by the circuits where they were stationed,
until one year some of them complained of poverty. Dr. Coke and I provided what
was missing. The following year the number of wives increased, three or four of
them were provided by the Contingent Fund. This was a bad precedent, for more
and more wives were thrown over this fund, until it was likely to be swallowed
up by it. We can think of no other way of avoiding this, but to consider the
state of our Societies in England and Ireland, and to implore the members of
each circuit to offer us such assistance as they can easily make without
injuring their families.
In these fifty years the
substance of the Methodists increases in proportion to their number. Therefore,
if you are not tight in your own intestines, it will not be a complaint, but
will cheerfully give food and clothing to those who give all their time,
strength, and labor to your service. [43]
Methodist
preachers, extraordinary messengers of God
In 1744,
in our first Conference, we (Methodist preachers) regarded ourselves as
extraordinary messengers whom God had raised up to provoke the common
messengers, the clergy, to jealousy; preach the gospel to the poor and call all
men of all denominations to worship him in spirit and in truth
To Henry Brooke
WHITBY, June 14, 1786.
DEAR HARRY, "I'll give
you an answer at will."
In the year 1729, four
young gentlemen met in Oxford, all zealous members of the Church of England and
all determined to be biblical Christians. Within six years, they had increased
to sixteen, and they were still in exactly the same opinion. By 1738, only two
of these remained together; but a few more joined them, which continually
increased until a few hundred joined in. But still they constantly attended
church; only if any Dissenter wished to join them, would have no objection to
his attending that worship to which he was accustomed.
But in 1740, Dr. Gibson,
then Bishop of London, said, 'Messrs. Wesley cannot leave the Church, so they
could do no more harm.' We understood this well. It meant, 'They could do no
more good; for none out of ten of the hearers present would hear them.' [See
February 21 letter to Thomas Taylor.] But, whether they wanted it or not, we
would not leave it; our conscience would not allow it.
In 1743, the Rules of Our
Society were published; one of them was, 'to attend the Church and the
Sacrament.' This all our members (except the Dissenters) were obliged to do, or
could not remain with us.
In 1744, in our first
Conference, we (Methodist preachers) regarded ourselves as extraordinary
messengers whom God had raised up to provoke the common messengers, the clergy,
to jealousy; to preach the gospel to the poor, and to call all men of all denominations
to worship him in spirit and in truth. But it never came to our mind to
separate ourselves from the Church or to form ourselves into a distinct party.
And here was a new phenomenon on earth, something never seen before—a group of
men highly favored by God, who yet chose to remain in their own religious
community, and not to separate, from that very reason, to be the servants of
all.
But it was not easy to
maintain this resolution. For those of us who were Dissenters often encouraged
these words: 'Come out from among them and separate.' And many clergymen have
strengthened their hands, either by their accusations of lies and pins, or by
their wicked lives or false doctrines; wherefore many were hardened in sin, and
many who began to run well returned like a dog to their vomit.
These objections were so
frequently and strongly raised that in the year 1758 it was fully considered at
the Leeds Conference whether we should separate from the Church or not. After
calmly weighing everything, we decided on the negative. Mr. Ingham, present in
us, commended our determination in very strong terms; concluding whenever the
Methodists leave the church, God will leave them. [See letter of August 19,
1785.]
To avoid this, we all agree
(1) to constantly exhort all our people to attend church and the sacrament; and
(2) still preach on Sundays, morning and evening, not during church hours. In
fact, in taking the contrary measures, in exhorting our people not to go to
church, or (which has come to the same point) in appointing them to preach in
church hours, we should immediately separate ourselves from it.
Last year the case of our
brethren in North America was considered wholly isolated from both the English
Church and the State. In such a peculiar case, I felt it my duty to take an
extraordinary step to send all the help I could. [See letter of September 10,
1784.] And I bless God that this has had an admirable effect.
'But why,' say some, 'you
shouldn't take the same step here?' Because it's not the same case. They don't
separate themselves from anyone. They had no Church! Unfortunately! No, King!
We have both.
'Well, but weigh their
motives. If we were to go to church to hear ourselves insulted, with
incursions, yes, and lying accusations: 'What said that blessed Philip Henry,
[See letter of October 18, 1778.] when his friend said (after hearing such a
sermon), 'I hope, sir, that you will not go to church any more' 'In fact, I
will go in the afternoon; if the minister does not know his duty, I bless God,
I know mine.'
We are members of the
Church of England, we are not a particular sect or party, we are friends with
all, we quarrel with no one for their opinions or mode of worship, we love
those of the Church where we were brought up, but we impose them on no one; in some
non-essential circumstances we vary somewhat from the usual modes of worship,
and have several small prudential aids peculiar to us; but still, we dare not,
dare not separate from the Church until we see other reasons than those we have
already seen. Until then, I say with St. Aventão (only taking the word
'Heretic' in the biblical sense, which has nothing to do with opinions), Errare
possum, hreticus esse nolo. - I am, dear Harry,
With great affection. [44]
Most
Methodists are poor
It is true
that most Methodists are poor; But then, nine out of ten of them wouldn't be
poorer if they spent a penny buying a book every two weeks of the year
For Christopher
Hopper
LONDON, November 20,
1769.
MY DEAR BROTHER,-- If
she comes back of her own accord, I will welcome her with open arms. But I'm
not going to hire her to come back. I think that would be foolish, or rather
sinful. [Mrs. Wesley often left him and returned in response to his requests. She
was with her daughter in Newcastle. See the letters of December 17, 1768 and
January 15, 1770.]
Brother Fazzard was a
good man, though for some years his head was quite wrong. I hope Brother
Greenwood stays right and won't be more intrigued by the soft speakers.
If you love the souls
or bodies of men, everywhere recommend Primitive Physick and small lands. It is
true that most Methodists are poor; But then, nine out of ten of them wouldn't
be poorer if they spent a penny buying a book every two weeks of the year. By
this means God's work is both enlarged and deepened everywhere. "With love
to Sister Hopper,
Your affectionate
friend and brother. [45]
Methodists are one
people throughout the world
Make sure you never give way to a thought of
separation from your brothers in Europe. Do not miss the opportunity of
declaring to all men that the Methodists are one people throughout the world;
and that it is your full determination to continue
To
Ezekiel Cooper from Philadelphia
Near London, February 1,
1791.
MY DEAR BROTHER, -- Those
who wish to write or say something to me have no time to lose; for time has
shaken me by the hand and death is not far off. But I have reason to be
grateful for the time that has passed: I have felt few of the infirmities of
old age for eighty-six years. It was only a year and a half ago that my
strength and my vision failed. And yet I can doodle a little and drag myself,
even though I can't run. I probably shouldn't be able to do so much if many of
you didn't help me with your prayers.
I gave a distinct account
of God's work that has been carried on in Britain and Ireland for more than
half a century. We want some of you to give us a connected account of what our
Lord has done in America since the time Richard Boardman accepted the invitation
and left his country to serve him. Make sure you never give way to a thought of
separation from your brothers in Europe. Do not miss the opportunity of
declaring to all men that the Methodists are one people throughout the world;
and that it is your full determination to continue,
Though mountains rise and
oceans roll,
To part us in vain.
To the care of our common
Lord I entrust you; and I
Your affectionate friend
and brother. [46]
Violent Jealousy Among Young People Is
Something Entirely New Among Methodists
But this violent jealousy among his young
women is something entirely new among the Methodists; I have not known anything
like it in the three kingdoms. And yet, I don't know if they have less sense or
less elegance than others of their age or gender. But this is one proof among a
thousand that, if God leaves us alone for a moment, there is no foolishness in
which our subtle adversary does not lead the wisest of the human race
To Mary Bishop
LONDON, October 31, 1773.
MY DEAR SISTER,--I have
prepared your letter so carefully that I cannot find it. But as I'm going to
Norfolk early, I won't stay until I get back before I write.
Overall, there's nothing
new under the sun. But this violent jealousy among his young women is something
entirely new among the Methodists; I have not known anything like it in the
three kingdoms. And yet, I don't know if they have less sense or less elegance
than others of their age or gender. But this is one proof among a thousand
that, if God leaves us alone for a moment, there is no foolishness into which
our subtle adversary does not lead the wisest of the human race. However, I
don't see that you are authorized to waive your charge for this account. It
seems that you should simply lay out the whole affair to Mr. Pawson and Allen
[John Pawson was Supernumerary in Bristol; John Allen, who became itinerant in
1766 and died in 1810, was Wesley's assistant. They are frank and impartial
judges, without prejudice on one side or the other; and I believe that they
will be able to judge, in each emergency, what steps are the most appropriate
to take.
One of the reasons,
perhaps, for this being allowed was to confuse the pride of his understanding.
You were considered a sensible woman and praised for that. And our nature
easily receives this kind of praise. But see how little your judgment is! You
can't do more than if you were an idiot. 'The help that is made on earth He
does it himself,' whether with or without instruments. Let your whole soul
abide upon Him for time and eternity. I'm always very happy to hear from you.
And you can speak freely with, my dear Miss Helena. Bishop,
With affection.
To Miss Bishop, Near the
Cross Bath,
In Bath. [47]
The main
doctrine of the Methodists
"We mean that
inspiration of the Holy Spirit of God, by which He fills us with justice, peace
and joy, with love for Him and for all humanity. And we believe that it cannot
be, in the nature of things, that a man should be filled with this peace, joy,
and love by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit without perceiving it as clearly
as he perceives the light of the sun.
This is
(as I understand it) the main doctrine of the Methodists
Accompanied
by the peace of God and joy in the Holy Spirit
"Religion
also does not consist of negative aspects, nor of pure harmlessness of any
kind; nor only in outward aspects, in doing good, or using the means of grace,
in works of piety (so called) or of charity: let it be nothing less than 'the
mind that was in Christ'; the image of God engraved on the heart; interior
righteousness, accompanied by the peace of God and "joy in the Holy
Spirit." [48]
Inspiration
of God's Holy Spirit
This is
(as I understand it) the main doctrine of the Methodists." [49]
No man can be a true Christian without an
inspiration of the Holy Spirit
"No man can be a
true Christian without an inspiration of the Holy Spirit who fills his heart
with peace, joy, and love, which he who does not perceive does not have."
This is the point for which I alone defend; and this I consider the very basis
of Christianity." [50]
"It springs from
a conviction wrought in us by the Holy Spirit"
"For it is true
that, from May 24, 1738, 'wherever I was desired to preach, salvation by faith
was my only theme'—that is, such love of God and man as produces all inward and
outward holiness, and which springs from a conviction wrought in us by the Holy
Spirit, from the pardoning love of God; and that when they said to me, 'You
must no longer preach in this church,' it was commonly added, 'because you
preach such a doctrine!' And it is equally true that 'it was because I preached
the love of God and man that several clergymen forbade me their pulpits' before
that time, before May 24, before I preached or knew salvation by faith. [51]
Moved by
the Holy Spirit
"It
is not clear to us that elders as circumstantial as we can appoint or ordain
others, but it is that we can guide them and allow them to do what we
understand they are moved by the Holy Spirit."[52]
God's
purpose raising up the Methodists
God has certainly raised us up primarily for the Church, that a little leaven may leaven the whole lump
To Mary Bishop
LONDON, October 18,
1778.
MY DEAR MISS BISHOP,
- I am not reluctant to write to yourself on a delicate subject, because you
will weigh the matter fairly. And if you have a bit of pretense (which you
don't), but are willing to yield it to reason.
The original
Methodists were all from the Church of England; And the more awake they were,
the more zealously they adhered to it in all points, both of doctrine and of
discipline. That is why we have inserted in the first Rules of our Society:
'Those who leave the Church leave us.' And we did this, not out of prudence,
but out of conscience. We believe that it is wholly unlawful to separate from
the Church unless sinful terms of fellowship have been imposed; as did Mr.
Philip Henry, [Busby's favourite pupil at Westminster School, preached as a
nonconformist from 1672 to 1681. See letter of June 14, 1786.] and most of
those holy men who were contemporaries of theirs.
'But her ministers do
not preach the gospel.' Not even independent ministers or Anabaptists know
this. Calvinism is not the gospel; No, it's farther from that than most of the
sermons I hear in church. These cases are very often non-evangelical; But these
are anti-evangelicals. They are (to say nothing) equally wrong; And they are
far more dangerously wrong. Few Methodists are now in danger of absorbing
errors from the ministers of the Church; but they are in great danger of
absorbing the great error—Calvinism—of the dissenting ministers. Perhaps
thousands have already done so, most of whom have retreated to perdition. I see
more instances of this than anyone else can see; and, for this reason, also to
exhort all who would remain with the Methodists and against Calvinism: 'Go to
church, and not to the meeting.'
But, to speak freely,
I myself find more life in the prayers of the Church than in the formal and
extemporaneous prayers of the dissenters. No, I find more profit in sermons on
good humour or good works than in what are commonly called gospel sermons. That
term has now become just a meaningless word. I wish none of our Society would
use this. It has no definite meaning. Let just a lively, self-sufficient
animal, without judgment or grace, cry out something about Christ and His blood
or justification by faith, and his hearers cry out, 'What a beautiful gospel
sermon!' Certainly the Methodists did not learn Christ in this way. We know no
gospel without salvation from sin.
There is a Roman
error that many Protestants sanction without realizing it. It is a declared
doctrine of the Roman Church that 'the pure intention of the minister is
essential to the validity of the sacraments.' If so, we must not attend the
ministers of a profane man; but, in total opposition to this, our Church
teaches in Article 28 that 'the unworthiness of the minister does not prevent
the validity of the sacraments.' While, therefore, there are many unpleasant
circumstances, I advise all our friends to remain faithful to the Church. God
has certainly raised us up primarily for the Church, that a little leaven may
leaven the whole lump. I would like you to seriously consider that little
treatise Reasons against a Separation from the Church of England. [See Works,
xiii. 225-32; Green's Bibliography, nº 201; and letters of July 7, 1777.] These
reasons have never been answered yet, and I believe they never will be.
I'm glad you took on
this labor of love, and I trust that it will increase both your spiritual and
bodily health. "It's me, my dear Miss Helena." Bishop,
With great affection.
For Miss Helena.
Bishop, at Mrs. Hancock's house, in Frome, Somersetshire. [53]
The Methodist's Dress
For those who indulge
in fantasy, perhaps read or recommend the Council to Methodists on this topic.
It would be appropriate to go to the root of the matter once or twice; Then let
him sleep, and after a few weeks try again. A Methodist who wears fine clothes
or gays must suffer a loss of soul, though he may retain a little life; but it
will never attain a high degree of holiness or happiness
For Miss Helena. March
BRISTOL, September 15,
1770.
A feeling of wants and
weaknesses, with various trials and temptations, will do no real harm, though
they will cause heaviness for a time and diminish your joy in the Lord. It is
wrong to take care of this in order to weaken your faith; And, on the whole, it
is not wrong to 'form your estimate of the state of your soul from your
sensations'—not, indeed, by these alone, but by them in conjunction with your
words and actions. It is true that we cannot judge ourselves by the measure of
our joy, the most variable sensation of all our persons, and often depending to
a great extent on the state of our blood and spirits. But if you add love, joy,
peace, meekness, gentleness, and resignation, I know of no more certain rule
for judging your state before God.
What is the difference
between 'the state of my mind and the state of my soul'? Is there a difference
in the width of a strand of hair? I will not say. If there is one, perhaps it
is this: the frame may signify a single transitory sensation; the state, a more
complicated and lasting sensation, something we usually feel. By framing, some
may mean fleeting passions; by state, ingrained temperaments. But I don't know
whether we have the authority to use these terms in this way or to distinguish
one from the other. He whose mind is in a good state is certainly a good man as
long as he continues to do so. Therefore, it would not require you to cease
judging your state by your state of mind any more than it would require you to
stop breathing.
Unless you deal very closely with those in your care, you will not give an account of them joyfully. Advice and warnings from a distance will do no harm or benefit. For those who indulge in fantasy, perhaps read or recommend the Council to Methodists on this topic. It would be appropriate to go to the root of the matter once or twice; Then let him sleep, and after a few weeks try again. A Methodist who wears fine clothes or gays must suffer a loss of soul, though he may retain a little life; but it will never attain a high degree of holiness or happiness. [See Works, xi. 466-77; and letter of February 26, 1776.] [54]
Note: "In eighteenth-century
English, the term 'gay' meant extravagant, flashy or adorned,
and had no relation to sexual orientation. Change of meaning: The original word gay in English meant
bright, showy, colorful, or embellished (as in flashy clothing)."
(Google's AI Mode Overview).
Methodists, who don't mind buying or even reading
To Walter
Churchey
LONDON,
August 8, 1788.
MY DEAR
BROTHER, -- I think you know that I love you and that I must rejoice to do
everything for you that is in my power. And a permissible proof of love is
direct treatment. Therefore, I will speak to you without reservation. There are
many good lines, and some very good ones, both in the ode and in the
translation of The Art of Painting. And I really think you get better at
versification: you write much better than you did a few years ago. You express
your senses more clearly than you used to, and you seem to have more variety of
words and more strength. But there is nothing sentimental (to use the modern
word of cant) either in the ode or in the translation. There is nothing tender
or pathetic, nothing that touches the passions. Therefore, no bookseller would
dare to buy them, knowing that they will not sell. And they are completely out
of the way of the Methodists, who do not care to buy or even read (at least in
most of them) any book that is not religious. I do not believe that all my
influence would lead them to buy as many copies as were sufficient to pay for
printing.
I have not
yet seen my brother's translation of the Psalms. In fact, I wouldn't have time
to read it yet, either, if it were put in my hands.
If someone
had asked my advice, they would not have published the account of George Lukins
[Lukins had been exorcised at the Parish Board of Temple Church, Bristol. See
Diary, vii. 362.] to the world so prematurely. It should have been fully
authenticated first. With affection to Sister Churchey,
Your
affectionate brother.
I hope to be in Brecon on Sunday evening. [55]
This is the proper Methodist testimony
Whenever preachers strongly exhort the people to
accept entire sanctification, and to accept it now, by simple faith, there the
work of God in general will prosper. This is the proper Methodist testimony!
For Hannah Ball
EDINBURGH, April 25,
1784.
MY DEAR SISTER, - It
would not be strange if your love grew cold. It would only be according to the
course of nature. But, blessed be God, we know that there is a power that
controls the course of nature; and the affection which does not depend on blood
and spirits, and therefore 'never faileth.'
I feared that there
was some misunderstanding between Mr. Broadbent [John Broadbent, the Assistant]
and you. Let him and you be free and open with each other, and I trust that
nothing will hurt you.
Your affectionate
brother. [56]
Be Methodist Everywhere
From the very beginning, there is nothing
about our Rules, whether from the Society or the bands. Be Methodist
everywhere. Be accurate in everything. Be zealous; Be active. Move on to the
one thing and carry everything in front of you
For Christopher Hopper
BRISTOL, September 3, 1763.
MY DEAR BROTHER,—I am very inclined to think that
you will be more useful this year than you have ever been in your life. From
the very beginning, there is nothing about our Rules, whether from the Society
or the bands. Be Methodist everywhere. Be accurate in everything. Be zealous;
Be active. Move on to the one thing and load everything in front of you. How
much can be done before the end of summer! Your little misunderstandings in
Edinburgh will soon be eliminated by listening to the parties in person. I hope
a preacher has gone north, and Brother Roberts will come south. [Robert
Roberts, of Leeds, is mentioned in the Act of Declaration, 1784. He was the son
of a farmer, born at Upton, near Chester, in 1731. He became a preacher in 1759
and died in 1799, a zealous and judicious man. See the letters of November 2.]
I hate delay. 'The King's business calls for haste!' —I am, with love to Sister
Hopper,
With all the affection. [57]
Take the countryside everywhere whenever possible.
Who goes to the Highlands now fast. [58]
The Methodists, in general, could not stand this
Read the conference minutes and see if you can conform to them. Similarly, think about whether you can refrain from talking about Universal Salvation and Mr. Fletcher's late discovery. The Methodists, in general, could not stand this
To Joseph Benson
BRISTOL, March 9, 1771.
DEAR JOSEPH,-- I need to
write a few lines, although I don't have time. You seem to be providentially
thrown into the harvest. But consider what you do. Read the conference minutes
and see if you can conform to them. Similarly, think about whether you can
refrain from talking about Universal Salvation and Mr. Fletcher's late
discovery. The Methodists, in general, could not stand this. That would create
a huge debate and confusion. I would like you to read this sermon in the first
volume on The Spirit of Slavery and Adoption. [Works, v. 98-111.] Invenio te
corde simplament, as the Count speaks, sed turbatis ideis. [I found you simple
at heart, but concerned about your ideas.' See Diary, ii. 488.]
My compliments to Mr.
Hallward. "I am, dear Joseph,
With affection. [59]
The
Methodists adopted the pattern of the Quakers
Be clean. In this sense, the Methodists
adopted the pattern of the Quakers. Avoid all dirt, grime, carelessness, both
on your person, on your clothes, in the house and in everything around you,
don't stink on the surface. This is a bad fruit of laziness; Use all diligence
to be clean, as they say
To Richard Steel
LONDONDERRY, April 24, 1769.
DEAR BROTHER,-- Now I will tell you the
things that have more or less crossed my mind since I have been in the North of
Ireland. If you forget them, you will be a sufferer, and so will the people; If
you look at it, it will be good for both of you.
1. To start with small things. If you take
care of your health, don't have dinner, but some milk or water. This will
protect entirely from God's blessing against nervous disorders; Especially if
you get up early every morning, preach or not.
2. Always be serious. There is no country
on earth where this is more necessary than Ireland; Since you are usually
surrounded by those who, with a little encouragement, would laugh or play from
dawn to night.
3. In each city, visit everything you can
from house to house. I say 'all you can', for there will be some you will not
be able to visit; and if you examine, instruct, rebuke, or exhort as needed,
you will have no time for folded hands. It is by this means that the Societies
increase wherever Thomas Ryan [Thomas Ryan was Assistant at Armagh in 1767. See
the Diary, iv. 500.] says, he preaches from morning to night; warning each one,
that He may present all perfect in Christ Jesus.
4. But on this and all other occasions
avoid all familiarity with women. This is deadly poison for both them and you.
You can't be too cautious in this regard; So start from this time.
5. The chief issue of your conversation,
as well as your preaching, must surely be the most important issue of the law.
However, there are several (comparatively) small things that you should
sincerely instill from time to time; for 'he that despiseth small things will
fall away little by little.' Which are,--
(1) Be active, be diligent; Avoid all
laziness, laziness, indolence. To fly of every degree, of every appearance;
otherwise, you will never be more than half a Christian.
(2) Be clean. In this sense, the
Methodists adopted the pattern of the Quakers. Avoid all dirt, grime,
carelessness, both on your person, on your clothes, in the house and in
everything around you, don't stink on the surface. This is a bad fruit of laziness;
Use all diligence to be clean, as they say,
Let the sweetness of your mind act
About your person, clothes and housing.
[The Temple, by George Herbert, 'The Church Porch,' stanza 62.]
(3) Any clothes they have, which are
whole; No rent, no rags, no rags. These are a scandal for both men and women,
being more the fruit of vile laziness. Fix your clothes, or I'll never expect
you to fix your lives. Let no one see a ragged Methodist.
(4) Clean yourself from lice. These are
proofs of both impurity and laziness: beware of this. Don't cut your hair, but
clean it up and keep it clean.
(5) Cure yourself and your family of
itching: A spoonful of sulfur will heal you. Letting this happen from year to
year proves both laziness and impurity. Take it off immediately. Let the North
no longer be a proverb of rebuke to the whole nation.
(6) Do not use tobacco unless prescribed
by a doctor. It is a dirty and unhealthy indulgence; And the more custom you
are, the more resolutely you must break with all degrees of this evil custom.
(7) Do not use snuff unless prescribed by
a doctor. I suppose no other nation in Europe is so vile in bondage to this
silly, nasty, and filthy custom as the Irish. But let Christians no longer
remain in this slavery. Assert your freedom, and all this at once: nothing will
be done gradually. But now you can be set free by Christ by strengthening you.
(8) Do not touch the dram. It's liquid
fire. It is a certain poison, although slow. This drains the very springs of
life. In Ireland, above all the countries of the world, I would abstain
sacredly, because evil is so general; and to this, along with snuff and
smoke-filled huts, I attribute the blindness which is so common throughout the
nation.
Perhaps I have inserted in the second
article what I particularly wish where you preach—namely, that there may be a
little house. May this be received without delay. Wherever it is not, let no
one expect to see me.--I am
Your affectionate brother. [60]
Preach the old
Methodist doctrines
Dedicate ourselves entirely to God;
Denying ourselves, taking up our cross daily, constantly aiming at one thing—saving
our own souls and those who hear us.
To preach the old Methodist doctrines, and
no others, contained in the Minutes of the Conferences.
'III. To observe and enforce all the
Methodist discipline set forth in the said Minutes.'
For Itinerant Preachers
LEEDS, August 4, 1769.
MY DEAR BROTHERS,--1. I have long desired
that all those ministers of our Church who believe in and preach salvation by
faith should cordially agree with one another, and not immeasur, but help one
another. After pressing this occasionally in private conversations whenever I
had the opportunity, I wrote my thoughts in my head and sent them to each one
in a letter. Of the fifty or sixty to whom I wrote, only three gave me an
answer. [See the heading to the letter of April 19, 1764.] So I give up: I
can't do more. They are a rope of sand; and so they will continue.
2. But it is different with the itinerant
preachers in our Connection. You are one body. You act together and by united
councils. And now is the time to consider what can be done to continue this
union. In fact, as long as I live there will be no great difficulty. I am under
God a center of unity for all our traveling preachers, as well as for the local
preachers.
Everyone knows me and knows my
communication. Everyone loves me for my work; And therefore, if it were only
out of consideration for me, they will continue to be connected to each other.
But how can that connection be preserved when God takes me away from you
3. I take it for granted that it cannot be
preserved in any way among those who have not a single eye. Those who seek
anything but the glory of God and the salvation of men, who desire or seek
anything earthly, be it honor, profit, or ease, cannot continue in the
Connection: it will not respond to their design. Some of them, perhaps a
quarter of the total, will secure promotion in the Church. Others become
independent and gain separate congregations, such as John Edwards and Charles
Skelton. [Edwards, a skilful Irishman, left Wesley about 1753, having adopted
Calvinistic views, and settled in Leeds, where he attracted 'a very
considerable and respectable congregation, who erected him a very large and
spacious chapel.' He died around 1784. See letter of November 20, 1755; and to
Skelton, July 17, 1751.] Do your math with that and don't be surprised if some
that you don't suspect are from that number.
4. But what method can be adopted to
preserve a firm union between those who choose to remain together
Maybe you can take some steps like these:-
On giving notice of my death, let all the
preachers of England and Ireland go to London in six weeks.
Let them seek God by solemn fasting and
prayer.
That they write articles of agreement to
be signed by those who choose to act together.
Let those who do not choose in the most
amicable way possible be dismissed.
Let them choose by vote a committee of
three, five or seven, each of them being the Moderator in turn.
Let the Committee do what I do now; they
propose preachers to be judged, admitted or excluded; fix the place of each
preacher for the following year and the time of the next Conference.
5. Can anything be done now to lay the
foundation for this future union? Wouldn't it be good, for those who are
willing, to sign some articles of agreement before God calls me from here to
here? Suppose something like this:--
"We, whose names are underwritten,
fully convinced of the necessity of a close union among those whom God desires
to use as instruments in this glorious work, to preserve that union among us,
are resolved, God being our Helper,--
'Me. Dedicate ourselves entirely to God;
Denying ourselves, taking up our cross daily, constantly aiming at one
thing—saving our own souls and those who hear us.
To preach the old Methodist
doctrines, and no others, contained in the Minutes of the Conferences.
'III. To observe and enforce
all the Methodist discipline set forth in the said Minutes.'[61]
Ancient
Methodist principle
Let us not deviate in thought or word from
the old Methodist principle: 'He who does the will of my Father which is in
heaven is my brother, my sister, and my mother.'
To Mary Bishop
LONDON, November 22, 1769.
MY DEAR SISTER,-- It is extremely strange.
I should really ask myself (if I could ask myself about any weakness of human
nature) that a woman as good as Lady Huntingdon, and who is especially
concerned about her Catholic spirit, should be guilty of such narrow-mindedness.
Let him teach us a better lesson! [Henry Venn was then preaching to packed
audiences in the chapel of the Countess of Huntingdon in Bath. See the letter
of December 26.] Let us not deviate in thought or word from the old Methodist
principle: 'He who does the will of my Father which is in heaven is my brother,
my sister, and my mother.'
We have other cases of people who now
enjoy the peace of God and, even so, do not know the moment when they received
it. And God is sovereign: He can make whatever exceptions He wants to His
general rule. Therefore, this objection is easily dismissed; And so is his age.
The Spirit of the Lord can give understanding in both a longer time and a
shorter time. And I doubt that He will give you favor in the eyes of your
sisters. You just need to move forward, doing God's will from the heart and
trusting in the anointing of the Holy One to teach you, right away.
I'm glad you meet Miss Helena. Owens.
[Wesley says on September 16, 1772: 'I went to Publow, which today is what
Leytonstone once was. Here is a family indeed. Such lovers, and such a company
of children, as, I believe, the whole of England can have no parallel!' See
Diary v. 484; and letter of August 22, 1772.] Encourage one another to be true
Christians. Challenging fashion and customs, and only manpower
To direct their useful lives below
By reason and grace.
Not that the lady entrenches herself over
the Christian; but be a simple follower of the Lamb.
I hope to hear soon what has happened
since you last wrote. And I hope you will always speak without reservation, my
dear sister,
Your affectionate brother.
For Miss Helena. Bishop, in the vineyard,
Bath. [62]
A Methodist preacher has
particular reasons for valuing a single life
In addition to the general
reasons contained in this booklet, a preacher, and above all others a Methodist
preacher, has particular reasons for valuing a single life
To
Zacharias Yewdall
LONDON, February 9, 1785.
MY DEAR BROTHER, -- I am
glad that you have given another judgment to Inishanmon. And why not for
Hinscla? I'm very much of your thought. I hope it's just drops before a rain of
grace. In addition to the general reasons contained in this booklet, a preacher,
and above all others a Methodist preacher, has particular reasons for valuing a
single life.
I'm glad that Brother Blair
[Andrew Blair, his new colleague.] and you talk freely: this will protect you
from many pitfalls. There can be no more suitable person for a curator than
Andrew Laffan. [One of Whitefield's converts at Cork in 1751. Wesley appointed
him butler in 1785 and remained with him in 1787. See Diary, vii. 74, 271;
Crookshanks' Methodism in Ireland, i. 83, 399, 429; and letter of February 9,
1789.] I am hopeful that Robert Blake [See letters of December 31, 1782 (to
Yewdall) and February 23, 1783.] will be more useful than ever. -- I am
Your affectionate friend
and brother. [63]
The fundamental doctrine of the people called
Methodist
To the Editor of 'Lloyd's Evening Post' Editor's Introductory Notes: 1760
LONDON, November 17,
I 760.
(...) The fundamental
doctrine of the people called Methodist is: Whoever is saved, first of all it
is necessary that he have the true faith; — the faith that works out of love;
which, through the love of God and neighbor, produces both inward and outward
holiness. This faith is an evidence of things unseen; and he who believes in
this way is regenerated, or born of God; and he has the witness in himself
(call it certainty or whatever you prefer): the Spirit himself bears witness
with his spirit that he is the son of God. 'From what scripture' each of these
propositions 'was collected,' any common agreement will show. 'This is the true
portrait of Methodism,' so called. 'A religion superior to this' (the love of
God and man) no one can 'enjoy', either in time or in eternity (...).[64]
Gossip among the
Methodists
Of all gossip,
religious gossip is the worst; it adds hypocrisy to the lack of charity and
effectively does the devil's work in the name of the Lord. The leaders of each
society can do much to expel it from among the Methodists
To Philothea Briggs
WHITBY, Saturday, June 20, 1772.
MY DEAR PHILLY,--About this evening I hope to be
in York; this fortnight of days in Keighley, Yorkshire; on that day, three
weeks in Leeds; and the next two Saturdays at Epworth, near Thorne, Yorkshire.
I like you to think like I do, because it's a
symbol that you love me; and every proof of this gives me a very sensible
pleasure. Love me, if you can, as long as I live.
It is admirable to endure the weaknesses, not,
and even failures, of the true children of God. And the temptations of anger
that arise from here are often more profitable than any other. However,
certainly for the time being they are not joyful, but painful; Then comes the
peaceful fruit. You will have exactly as much pain and disappointment as you
get more for your profit, and just enough to
Keep you dead for all below,
Only Christ decided to know.
Never make a point of reasoning that you don't
have a greater or lesser share of suffering. You will get exactly what is best
both in type, degree and time. Oh, what a blessing it is to be in His hands,
who "does everything well"!
Of all gossip, religious gossip is the worst; it
adds hypocrisy to the lack of charity and effectively does the devil's work in
the name of the Lord. The leaders of each society can do much to expel it from
among the Methodists. Let them, in the band or class, observe (1) 'Now we must
not speak of absent persons, but simply of God and our own souls'; (2) 'Let the
rule of our conversation here be the rule of all our conversation. We will
observe it (unless in some cases necessarily exempt) at all times and in all
places.' If this is often instilled, it will have a great effect.
Instead of giving a warning once, as for an
adult, you should give it to a child ten times. This way, you can prevent a
sensible child from becoming unfamiliar with employees. Precautions should also
be given frequently and intensively to the servants themselves [See letter of
October 16, 1771.]; And they will not always be discarded if they have grace or
judgment. [65]
[1]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1786/
[2]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1760/
[3] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1778/
[4] Overview of Google's AI Mode
[5]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1774/
[6] Overview of Google's AI Mode
[7]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/
[8] Overview of Google's AI Mode
[9]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1760/
[10] Overview of Google's AI Mode
[11] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1763/
[12] Overview of Google's AI Mode
[13] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1770/
[14] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1788/
[15] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1780/
[16] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/
[17]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1774/
[18]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1769/
[19] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/
[20] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/
[21] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/
[22] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/
[23]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1785/
[24] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789
[25]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1768/
[26]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1772a/
[27]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1782/
[28]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/
[29]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[30]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1781/
[31]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1782/
[32] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/
[33]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/
[34] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/
[35] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/
[36] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-/
[37] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/
[38]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1770/
[39]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1768/
[40]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1783/
[41]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1785/
[42]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1782/
[43]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1788/
[44] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1786/
[45]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1769/
[46] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1791/
[47] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1773/
[48]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1748/
[49]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1745/
[50]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1745/
[51]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1745/
[52]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1755/
[53]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1778/
[54] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1770/
[55]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1788/
[56]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1784a/
[57]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1763/
[58] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1763/
[59]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[60] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1769/
[61] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1769/
[62] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1769/
[63] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1785/
[64]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1760/
Comentários
Postar um comentário