If we still don't think the same,
At
least we can love the same
Wesley's
letter to Moravian leader James Hutton
Copyright
© 2026, Odilon Massolar Chaves
All rights
reserved to the author.
It is
allowed to read, copy and share for free.
Article
184 of the Penal Code and Law 96710 of February 19, 1998.
Books
published in the Wesleyan Digital Library: 859
Books
published by the author: 899
Cover:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Hutton_%28minister%29
Odilon
Massolar Chaves is a retired Methodist pastor, with a doctorate in Theology and
History from the Methodist University of São Paulo.
Son of
Rev. Adherico Ribeiro Chaves and Roza Massolar Chaves.
He is
married to RoseMary.
He has two
daughters: Liliana and Luciana.
His thesis
dealt with the Methodist revival in England in the eighteenth century and its
contribution as a paradigm for our days.
============================
"After more than half
a century of years, we are tired of conflict and strife. If we still don't
think the same, at least we can love the same. And indeed, unity of affection
is a good step forward toward unity of judgment." [1]
(John Wesley)
============================
Table of Contents
· Introduction
· Friendship, separation and
reconciliation
·
I prayed to Him to
'save both man and beast'
·
Preach the gospel of
the kingdom (of a small eminence) to three or four thousand people
·
Chosen after prayer
and drawing lots
·
So filled with the
Holy Spirit that he hardly knew if he was in the body or out of it
·
"He That
Believeth Has Everlasting Life"
· In answer to our prayers
·
I first preached
under the sycamore tree near the school in Kingswood
·
Wales, where there
really is a great awakening
·
I fear that they have
acted against justice, mercy and truth
·
I don't like to find
Moravians guilty without trial
·
The hour has come
when our Lord will put away our reproach
· I'm always
happy to see my old friends
·
I love you so much; And I love talking to you
· I will be happy with your company
============================
Introduction
"If we don't think like yet, at least we
can love the same" is a 40-page book based on Wesley's letters to James
Hutton.
This book is based on Wesley's statement to James Hutton: "If we don't think alike, at least we can love alike."
Wesley and James Hutton (1715–1795) were great friends. Wesley, a Methodist, and James Hutton, a Moravian leader.
Rev. John Hutton and Elizabeth were the parents of James Hutton. Ayscough. His father, an unsworn clergyman, had resigned from his position, residing in College Street, Westminster.[2]
The Rev. John Hutton's son was the Moravian leader and bookseller, James Hutton.
He was born in London on
September 3, 1715. James Hutton was educated at Westminster and apprenticed to
Mr. Innys, a bookseller at St. Paul's church churchyard. Around 1736, he opened
his own bookstore in Bible and Sun, just west of Temple Bar. But he never paid
much attention to business. Before the end of his apprenticeship he met the
Wesleys at Oxford, and when they left for Georgia in 1735 he accompanied them
to Gravesend."[3]
The Aldersgate Street
Society belonged to James Hutton, where Wesley had the experience of the
warming heart.
James Hutton rented a
room in Nettleton Court, in Aldersgate Street, where he kept "a
bookshop (Bible and Sun) for spiritual meetings attended by
Wesley". [4]
In this room, James
Hutton led a "small weekly religious society and was a central figure in
the famous meeting of May 1738 at which John Wesley experienced his spiritual
conversion." [5]
Wesley then responded
to an invitation from George Whitefield and went to Bristol in April 1739.
In 1739, Wesley shared with
James Hutton long letters reporting God's action in their meetings.
Because of theological differences, they separated for about 30 years and reconciliation did not take place until 1771.
"The definitive break between the bookseller and Moravian leader James Hutton and the Methodist leader John Wesley occurred in 1740, after theological disagreements and the removal of members of the Chapel of Fetter Lane." [6]
When reconciliation came, Wesley wrote to James Hutton on December 26, 1771. Wesley said: "After more than half a century of years, we are tired of strife and strife. If we still don't think the same, at least we can love the same. And indeed, unity of affection is a good step forward toward unity of judgment." [7]
On December 31, 1773,
Wesley affectionately called him "Jemmy" and said, "DEAR
JEMMY,--I still think so. I love you so much; and I love talking to you." [8]
A story that shows the
supremacy of love.
The Author
============================
Friendship, separation and
reconciliation
"The letters exchanged between John Wesley
(the founder of Methodism) and James Hutton (an English bookseller who became
an important minister of the Moravian Church) mark the beginning, distancing
and subsequent reconciliation of two central figures of the religious revival
of the eighteenth century in England." [9]
Context of
Relationship and Correspondence
Near Start (1738): James Hutton was the
son of the Reverend John Hutton, in whose house Wesley stayed. Hutton opened
his bookstore (Bible and Sun) for spiritual meetings attended by Wesley,
and it was in the society of Aldersgate/Fetter Lane, linked to Hutton and the
Moravian brothers, that Wesley had his remarkable conversion experience in May
1738.
Theological Conflicts
(1740-1750): As Wesley differed from the Moravians over the doctrine of the faith
and spiritual "quietness," the relationship cooled. There are records
of tensions and severe opinions expressed by Hutton regarding Wesley's
influence.
Late Reconciliation
(1771-1774): Years later, the correspondence between the two re-established bonds of
friendly affection of youth. Wesley's famous letters to Hutton — such as the
one of January 8, 1774 — show reciprocal affection and nostalgia."
Wesley's letters to
James Hutton reveal an early long letters, almost a report of Wesley's
activities:
I prayed to Him to 'save
both man and beast'
In the morning I prayed to Him to 'save both man and beast,' and set out, though my horse was so tired that he could scarcely walk a step. In Cane [Calne.] (twelve miles from Marlborough) I stopped.
For James Hutton
BRISTOL, April 2, 1739.
and I hope he came down to
his house saying, 'God have mercy on me a sinner.'
MY DEAR BRETHREN (AND
SISTERS TOO),-- The first person I met on the way here was someone who was
asking about the road to Basingstoke. We talked a lot until the evening. He was
a Somersetshire man, [The Diary of Thursday, March 29, says, '9:15 a.m. left
with Charles, etc.,' who left him at 10; at 11 a.m. met this man, and arrived
at Basingstoke with him at 8:30 a.m.] returning home, much angered at the
wickedness of London, and especially of the infidels there. He held up well to
Basingstoke. But during the explanation there (in which between twenty and
thirty persons were present), his countenance became discouraged, and I hope he
went down to his house saying, 'God have mercy on me, a sinner.'
My horse got tired at
night, so I had to walk after him
I stayed an hour or two in
Dummer in the morning with our brother Hutchings, [Hutchings was part of the
way to Newbury with him. He and Chapman had just arrived from Bristol with
horses for Wesley. See Diary, ii. 156n, 167d.] that he is strong in faith, but
very weak in body; as it will probably continue to be as long as it hides its
light under a bushel. In the afternoon a poor woman at Newbury and her husband
were greatly astonished to hear of a salvation so far beyond all they had
thought or heard preached. The woman expects her to accompany her until she
reaches him. My horse grew weary at night, so that I had to walk after him,
until a merchant who overtook me lent me one of his own, in which I went with
him. Marlborough, and stayed at the same inn. As I prepared to descend here, my
watch fell out of my pocket with the glass down, which flew a certain distance,
but did not break. After dinner I preached the gospel to our little company,
one of whom, a gentleman, resisted much to what I said, till I told him that he
was wise in his own eyes, and that he had no right heart before God. Then he
quietly withdrew, and the rest calmly proceeded to heed the words spoken.
In the morning, I prayed to
Him to 'save both man and beast'
At seven, by God's
blessing, I got here
At seven, by God's
blessing, I got here. At the age of eight, our dear Brother Whitefield
explained at Weavers' Hall to about a thousand souls; on Sunday mornings up to
six or seven thousand on the bocce court; at noon for a similar number in
Hanham Mount; and from five to, I believe, thirty thousand from a little mound
in Rose Green. On a day today, he left Bristol. I'm out of time. I beg, my dear
brethren, that some part of your spirit be given to
Your poor, weak brother.
Oh, how God manifests
Himself in our brother Whitefield! I haven't seen one like him
Dear Jemmy, none of my
stuff has arrived. I want my dress and cassock every day. Oh, how God manifests
Himself in our brother Whitefield! I haven't seen one like him—no, not in
Herrnhut!
We all arrived safely in
Bristol; praise God for this! [This line is in another handwriting.] [10]
Preach the gospel of the
kingdom (of a small eminence) to three or four thousand people
On Monday, I talked to
several in private, to try to know what kind of spirit they had; and at four
o'clock in the afternoon I went to a brickyard, [For a description of this
remarkable place, see Diary, ii. 172n.] adjacent to the city, where I had an
opportunity to preach the gospel of the kingdom (of a small eminence) to three
or four thousand persons.
For James Hutton
BRISTOL, April 9, 1739.
The room, the hallway, and
the stairwell were filled with attentive listeners
MY DEAR BRETHREN, -- On the
evening of Sunday, the 1st, I began to expound at the Nicholas Street Society
the Sermon of the Lord on the Mount. The room, the hallway, and the stairs were
filled with attentive listeners.
where I had the opportunity
to preach the gospel of the kingdom (of a small eminence) to three or four
thousand people
On Monday, I talked to
several in private, to try to know what kind of spirit they had; and at four
o'clock in the afternoon I went to a brickyard, [For a description of this
remarkable place, see Diary, ii. 172n.] adjacent to the city, where I had an opportunity
to preach the gospel of the kingdom (of a small eminence) to three or four
thousand persons.
and the power of our Lord
was with us
The scripture I spoke of
was this: 'The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, because He hath anointed Me to
preach the gospel to the poor, He hath sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, to
preach deliverance to the captives, and to recover sight to the blind, to deliver
them that are bruised, to preach the acceptable year of the Lord.' At the age
of seven, I began to expound the Acts of the Apostles to the Society in
Baldwin. Street. We had more company than the room could hold, and the power of
our Lord was with us.
Many Presbyterians and
Anabaptists came to hear
On Tuesday, the 3rd, I
began preaching in Newgate (as I continue to do every morning) on the Gospel of
St. John. Many Presbyterians and Anabaptists came to listen. Later, I
transcribed some of the rules of our Society for the use of our (future)
brothers here. In the evening, I explained about 'Blessed are those who mourn'
at the Nicholas Street Society. I hope God has spoken to the hearts of many
there.
At four o'clock in the
afternoon, I offered God's free grace from these words, 'I will heal your
setbacks, I will love freely,' until about fifteen hundred
The next day, attendance
increased in Newgate. At four o'clock in the afternoon I offered God's free
grace of these words, 'I will heal your setbacks, I will love freely,' until
about fifteen hundred on a plain near Baptist Mills, a sort of suburb or
village, not far from Bristol; where many, if not most, of the inhabitants are
papists. That they really pose the only Mediator between God and man, Christ
Jesus!
three women who only want
to know Jesus Christ and Him crucified
Around seven o'clock in the
evening, three women who desire only to know Jesus Christ and Him crucified
(Mrs. Norman, Mrs. Griver, and Mrs. Panou) agreed to meet once a week to
confess their faults to each other and pray for each other that they would be
healed. And Mrs. Panou wished she could propose their project to the two
sisters and offer them the freedom to join them. At the age of eight, Samuel
Wathen (surgeon), Richard Cross (upholsterer), Charles Bonner (distiller), and
Thomas Westall (carpenter) got together and agreed to do the same; who also
wished to offer their union to three or four of their acquaintances. If this
work is not of God, let it be of no use. If it is, who will overthrow it
We prayed for her, and soon
she revived, returning home strengthened and comforted in both body and spirit
On Thursday, at five
o'clock in the afternoon, I began the Epistle to the Romans in a Society in
Castle Street, where, after the explanation, a poor man gave glory to God by
openly confessing the things he had done. Around eight, a young woman from the
Nicholas Street Society sank as a dead man; We prayed for her, and soon she was
revived, returning home strengthened and comforted both in body and spirit.
I declared to all 'that
they were condemned sinners, but that the gospel was the power of God unto
salvation to every one that believed.'
A Presbyterian minister was
with us in Newgate on Friday and Saturday. On Friday evening we were in a
Society without Lawford's Gate, where, as the courtyard was full as well as the
house, I exonerated part of chapter 1 of the First Epistle of St. John at the
window. On Saturday night, the Weavers' Hall was quite full. One soldier was
present at the preaching on Monday, two at the exposition on several following
days, and five or six this evening. I declared to all 'that they were condemned
sinners, but that the gospel was the power of God unto salvation to every one
that believed.'
I believe there were no
more than twelve or twelve hundred people present
Starting at seven (an hour
earlier than usual) at Bowling Green (which is in the heart of the city)
yesterday morning, I believe there were not more than a thousand or twelve
hundred people in attendance. And because the day was very cold and stormy (and
so much rain fell overnight), many of those who designed it were prevented from
going to Hanham Mount, which is at least four miles from the city. Between ten
and eleven o'clock I began to preach the gospel there, in a meadow on the top
of the hill. Five or six hundred Bristol people (several of whom were Quakers)
were. there, and (I imagine) about a thousand charcoal workers. I called them
in the words of Isaiah: 'O everyone who thirsts, come to the waters, and he who
has no money; come, buy and eat; yes, come, buy wine and milk without money and
without price.'
There are several small
hills, where the old coal mines used to be
On Rose Green (which is a
plain on top of a high hill) there are several small hills, where the old coal
mines once stood. On the edge of one of these I stayed in the afternoon and
cried out in the name of my Lord, 'If any man thirsts, let him come to Me. and
drink. He who believes in Me (as the Scripture says) will flow out of his belly
rivers of living water.' About five thousand persons were present, many of whom
received the word with joy, and all with deep attention.
Several soldiers and rich
people were there; and truly the power of the Lord was present to heal them
From thence we went to the
Society in Baldwin Street, whose room contained only a small part of the
company, opened the doors and windows, which speaks of all that was said about
the true Christian life described at the close of the chapter of the Acts was
clearly heard by those in the next room, and on the cables, and in the courtyard below, and in the
opposite house, and in the passage below it. Several soldiers and rich people
were there; and truly the power of the Lord was present to heal them.
My dear brethren, who write
among you first to strengthen our hands in God
My dear brethren, who write
among you first to strengthen our hands in God. Where are our brothers Bray and
Fish, and whoever else is moved to send us the word of exhortation. You must
not lack in your instructions more than your prayers to
His affectionate but weak
brother. [11]
Chosen
after prayer and drawing lots
After the prayer,
their leaders were chosen and the banners were organized by lot in the
following order
For James Hutton
BRISTOL, April 16, 1739.
After the prayer, their
leaders were chosen and the banners were organized by lottery
MY DEAR BROTHER, -- Sunday,
April 8, about eight o'clock in the evening, Mr. Wathen and his brethren met
and received several persons into their little Company. After the prayer, their
leaders were chosen and the banners were arranged by lot in the following
order:
I Band. Richard Leg
(merceris merchant), leader; Thomas Mitchell, Charles Bonner, William Wynne,
Richard Cross.
II Band. Jn. Palmer,
leader; James Lewis, John Davis, James Smith, William Waters.
III Band. Henry Crawley
(barber), leader; Thomas Harding, John Wiggins, Samuel Wathen, Thomas Westall.
It was further agreed that
some other persons then mentioned could be admitted to the Society.
met and agreed to meet
every Sunday; Anne Williams was chosen as leader
Monday, April 9, at two
o'clock in the afternoon, Mrs. Panou and Mrs. Grevil met with Esther Deschamps
and Mary Anne Page (Mrs. Panou's sisters), whom they then welcomed as sisters,
and Esther Deschamps was chosen by lot as the bandleader, which was as follows:
Esther Deschamps, J. Panou,
M. Page, Eliz. Davis (then applied for and admitted), and Eliz. Grevil.
At five in the afternoon,
Anne Williams, Mary Reynolds, Eliz. Ryan, Esther Highham, Frances Wilds, and
Rachel England got together and agreed to meet every Sunday; Anne Williams was
chosen as the leader.
at four I preached to three
or four thousand people in the Brickyard on 'I have not come to call the
righteous, but sinners to repentance
The Assizes prevented my
preaching in Newgate this week, except only on Monday and Tuesday. On Monday at
four I preached to three or four thousand persons at the Brickyard on 'I have
not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.' On Tuesday, about
one, having sent our brothers Easy and Purdy before, I set out for Bath. Soon
after I entered, the person who rented the field, where many people were
meeting, sent me a word: 'I must not preach on his land. If I did that, he
would arrest me.' Soon after, a good woman sent me to say that I was welcome to
preach on hers. There we went at five. It is a meadow on the side of the hill,
near the town, so that they might see us from Lady Cox [See letter of 7 March,
1738.] in the square clearly.
Here I offered God's free
grace to about two thousand souls
Here I offered God's free
grace to about two thousand souls. At eight o'clock in the evening I preached
the remission of sins to many casual listeners from a few steps at the end of a
house on Gracious Street. Griffith Jones [Griffith Jones, Rector of Llandowror,
instituted the circulating Welsh Free Schools, to teach the poor to read Welsh
and give religious instruction. He maintained these schools through
subscriptions for twenty-four years, and by the time he died in 1761, they
numbered over 3,000 students and had 158,000 scholarship holders, some of whom
were sixty years old. See Tyerman's Whitefield, i. 189-90n.] it was one of
them, who afterwards revived us with his company for about an hour at our inn.
At the age of four, I
offered Jesus Christ as our wisdom, righteousness, sanctification, and
redemption to more than three thousand
On Wednesday morning, Mr.
Chapman [See title of letter of March 29, 1737.] stayed with us for a time, to
whom we spoke the truth with love. At ten I preached again in the field, to, I
think, about two thousand five hundred. At the age of four, I offered Jesus
Christ as our wisdom, righteousness, sanctification, and redemption to more
than three thousand. At seven the seven, all the women of the band assembled,
and, having received Mary Cutler into fellowship with them, spent the night in
conference and prayer. At eight o'clock the groups of men met in the Society's
room on Baldwin Street, and received in fellowship with them William Lewis,
James Robins, Kenelm Chandler, Anthony Williams, and Thomas Robins. The rest of
the evening was devoted to singing, conferences, and prayers.
Thursday, the 12th, we went
pitching in a suitable place in Rose Green, to create a small space for me to
stand preaching. In the Societies at night there was great power, and many were
convinced of sin; but I believe more on Friday night in both Societies.
'I was welcome to preach in
your church if I didn't tell anyone'
On Saturday, I waited for
one of the clergy of this city, who sent me a message: 'I was welcome to preach
in your church if I didn't tell anyone'; But he changed his mind and told me
now, 'You couldn't let me preach.' [John Gibbs, vicar of St. Mary Redcliffe
1704-44. See Diary, ii. 179d.] At the age of four I began to preach on the
doorsteps of the Poorhouse; Four or five hundred of the richest were in, and I
believe fifteen hundred or two thousand out. I spent about an hour and a half
with them in prayer and explaining and applying these words: 'When they had
nothing to pay, he frankly forgave them both.'
The Hall of the Weavers was
quite crowded at night, and many, I trust, were cut off from their confidence
in flesh and blood.
The Hall of the Weavers was
quite crowded at night, and many, I trust, were cut off from their confidence
in flesh and blood. On Sunday morning I applied the parable of the Pharisee and
the Publicist to six or seven thousand attentive hearers on the bowling ground.
It rained, until I began to preach on Mount Han-ham. So I stayed near the door
of the house (where we put the women); Three thousand (at least) were content
to be without. I preached in Newgate after dinner to a packed audience. Between
four and five we went (despite the rain) to Rose Green. It rained heavily in
Bristol; but not a drop fell upon us as I preached, from the fullness given me,
to about five thousand souls: 'Jesus Christ, our wisdom, righteousness,
sanctification, and redemption.'
to whom I have declared
that 'the blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin
At six o'clock, being at
Lawford's Gate Society, I did not go up to the room, but stood at a table
below; meaning that not only everyone in the room and store, but also those in
the courtyard and entrances could hear; to whom I have declared that 'the blood
of Jesus Christ cleanseth us from all sin.'
I'm still dead and cold,
except as I speak. Write often and pray much for, my dear brethren,
Your poor brother.
'Forward to the bands (in
London), to be decided by lot
PS.--With the desire to
receive a holy woman of great experience in the female bands, we doubt what to
do because she is a Dissenter. The answer we received from the Scriptures was
Galatians III. That seemed clear. However, having decided to do draws, we did
so, and our guidance was: 'Forward to the bands (in London), to be decided by
lot.'[12]
So filled with the
Holy Spirit that he hardly knew if he was in the body or out of it
John Ellis was so
filled with the Holy Spirit that he hardly knew whether he was in the body or
out of it. Now he is at home to declare the wonderful works of the Lord. See
how He gives us more than we can ask or think!
For James Hutton
BRISTOL. April 26,
1739.
Women had their first
feast of love
MY DEAR BROTHERS,--
On the evening of Sunday, the 15th, the women had their first feast of love.
On Monday, about
three thousand were at the Brickyard. In the evening, the brother of the person
who owns it told me, 'His brother didn't mind that I was there anymore, and
asked me to look elsewhere.' There was a lot of power in the Society that
night.
at three o'clock in
the afternoon, eleven unmarried women gathered at Mrs. Griver's house
Tuesday, the 17th, at
three o'clock in the afternoon, eleven unmarried women assembled at the home of
Mrs. Grevil, [Sister of the Rev. George Whitefield. She lived in Wine Street,
Bristol, and John Wesley stayed there for a few weeks when he arrived in town.]
and he wished that three others should be admitted among them. They were then divided into three bands.
The upper room where
we were was leaning below; But the weight of the people made the ground give
way, so that, at the beginning of the exhibition, the pole that supported it
fell with a lot of noise
On the same day, we
were with the two prisoners who are under sentence of death, the younger one of
whom seemed very awake. By five o'clock, I was in a society where I had never
been before. The upper room where we were was leaning below; But the weight of
the people made the ground give way, so that, at the beginning of the
exhibition, the pole that supported it fell with a lot of noise. However, we
stayed together until seven. So I went to the Baldwin Street Society, where I
was taught much to claim the promise of the Father to some who would hear it,
if the doctrine were from God. A young woman (named Cornish) was the first to
feel that our prayer was heard, being, after a brief agony, fully delivered;
the next was another young woman (Eliz. Holder); the third was Jane Worlock;
the last (a stranger in Bristol), John Ellis, was so filled with the Holy
Spirit that he hardly knew whether he was in the body or out of it. Now he is
at home to declare the wonderful works of the Lord. See how He gives us more
than we can ask or think! When Ms. Cornish began to feel pain, we asked God to
give us a living testimony that signs and wonders were now done by the name of
His holy son Jesus. We asked for one, and He gave us four.
At seven o'clock, all
the girl bands meeting together, Rebecca Morgan received the promise of the
Father
Wednesday, the 18th,
about two thousand five hundred were present at Baptist Mills. At the age of
six, the girl bands met and admitted Lucretia Smith (who was already a Quaker,
baptized the day before), Rebecca Morgan (deeply bereaved), Elis. Holder, Hannah
Cornish, Jane Worlock, and Mary Cutler. Lucretia Smith was chosen leader by
lottery. At seven o'clock, all the girl bands meeting together, Rebecca Morgan
received the promise of the Father.
Two boys were also admitted: Thomas Davis, fourteen,
and Deschamps Panou, ten; both "found the Savior in their hearts
At eight o'clock the
men assembled and received into fellowship Richard Hereford (leader), William
Farnell, Jo. Goslin, Jos. Ellis, Capel Gilas, Thomas Oldfield, and John Purdy.
Similarly, William
Lewis was added by lot to the first, Kenelm Chandler to the second, and James
Robins to the third band.
Afterwards, the group
of married couples was completed as follows: John Brooks (a soldier), leader;
Jn. Williams, Thomas Arnot (a soldier), William Davis, Anthony Williams, and
Thomas Robins. But Thomas Robins has since refused to meet.
On Easter Eve, the
rain forced me to preach at the Poor Asylum
Thursday the 19th,
Mr. Griffith Jones asked to return to Wales and went with us to the Castle
Street Society, where two were deeply convicted of sin. At seven, several on
Nicholas Street received a lot of comfort. On Good Friday, at five o'clock in
the afternoon, Mr. Wathen's mistress received remission of sins; as well as
Samuel Goodson and Anne Holton, at seven o'clock, who had long been at
heavyweight. On Easter Eve, the rain forced me to preach in the Poor Asylum
(not at the door, as usual). While we were in prayer in the Hall of the
Weavers, a young man was seized by a violent tremor and, within minutes, sank
to the ground. We continued praying, and soon he was up again. On Easter Day it
rained heavily, so that we could not stay on the bowling ground or in the open
air at Hanham Mount. All I could do was preach in Newgate at eight in the
morning and two in the afternoon, and to as many as the house could receive in
Hanham at eleven in the morning. In the afternoon we also assembled at a house
near Rose Green as many neighbours as possible together, after which we
received a large company in Nicholas Street, where many were injured and many
were comforted.
Pray much that after
preaching to others, I myself may not be a castaway
Every day this week I
was out of town, which prevented my writing before. Pray much that after
preaching to others, I myself may not be a castaway. "I am, my dear
brothers, your ever-affectionate brother. [13]
"He
That Believeth Has Everlasting Life"
Thursday
the 26th, preaching in Newgate on these words, "He that believeth hath
everlasting life," I was led, I know not how, to speak strongly and
explicitly about Predestination, and then to pray "that if I did not speak
the truth of God, He would stay His hand, and act no more among us. If this
were His truth, He would not delay in confirming it with signs to follow.'
For
James Hutton
BRISTOL,
April 30, 1739.
(...)
Thursday the 26th, preaching in Newgate on these words, "He that believeth
hath everlasting life," I was led, I know not how, to speak strongly and
explicitly about Predestination, and then to pray "that if I did not speak
the truth of God, He would stay His hand, and act no more among us. If this
were His truth, He would not delay in confirming it with signs to follow.'
Immediately the power of God fell upon us: one, and another, and another, sank
into the earth; You can see them falling from all sides like thunder. One
shouted aloud. I went and prayed for her, and she received joy in the Holy
Spirit. A second, falling into the same agony, we turned to her and also
received the promise of the Father. In the evening, I made the same appeal to
God, and almost before we called, He answered. A young woman was seized by
pains I had never seen before; and in fifteen minutes she already had a new
song in her mouth, a thanksgiving to our God. (...)"[14]
In answer to our prayers
At night, in answer to our
prayers 'that our Lord would then show whether He was willing that all men
should be saved,' three people immediately sank and in a short time were raised
and set free
For James Hutton
BRISTOL, May 14, 1739.
until six in the afternoon
in intercession, prayer and thanksgiving
MY DEAR BRETHREN, -- On
Monday, the 7th of today, about twelve of us met at six o'clock in the morning
in our room on Baldwin Street. Others came later; Some of them were employed
until six o'clock in the afternoon in intercession, prayer, and thanksgiving.
Our
minister, on being told that you are out of his mind, does not care that you
preach in any of his churches
About eight o'clock I was
preparing to go to Pensford (the minister had advised me that I could preach in
any of his churches), when a messenger brought me the following note:
LORD,--Our minister, on being
told that you are out of your mind, does not care that you preach in any of
your churches.
where there was an
attentive and serious congregation. But many of them seemed not so little
surprised to hear this strange doctrine
We found, however, a very
convenient place at Priest-down, near Publow, half a mile from Pensford, where
there was an attentive and earnest congregation. But many of them seemed not so
little surprised to hear this strange doctrine.
'Christ is made of God for
us wisdom, righteousness, sanctification, and redemption.'
We were driven from the
ground where I used to preach
About four thousand were
thereafter in the Pottery, which I exhorted to "become as little
children."
After preaching in Newgate
the next morning, I left for Bath. We were driven from the ground where I used
to preach. But God opened the heart of a Quaker (one Richard Merchant) to offer
me his land, where I preached 'Christ our wisdom' to a thousand or fifteen
hundred people. Then he took me aside and said, 'My friend, deal with me
freely. I have a lot of money, and maybe you have little. Tell me what you
want.' I accepted his love, after exposing it at Mr. Dibble's window to many in
the house and to many outside it. O pray for the soul of Richard Merchant!
As for money, God will take
care of it
On Wednesday the 9th, after
the service in Newgate, we took possession of the land where the room will be
built. [See Journal, ii. 194n; and the letter of April 27, 1741, to
Whitefield.] We also plan to pay around £160 to workers once it's ready. As for
money, God will take care of it. By the age of four, I was already very
encouraged at Baptist Mills, recommending childlike temperament. The company
was made up of about two thousand or two thousand five hundred, our usual
congregation there. It was on this agreed evening in our Society that the band
leaders meet at 5:30 p.m. every Wednesday.
I was asked in a note to
pray for her; and she was "almost convinced to be a Christian."
The next day, several
curious persons being in Nicholas Street and a beautiful lady among the others,
I was asked in a note to pray for her; and she was "almost convinced to be
a Christian."
Almost as soon as we began to pray for her,
the enemy was cast out, and she was filled with peace and joy in believing
On Friday, the 11th, when
we were going to the second Society in the evening, we were asked to visit a
young woman who was in the throes of despair. With great difficulty, we took it
to the Society; where, almost as soon as we began to pray for her, the enemy
was cast out, and she was filled with peace and joy in believing.
for God took her there,
that she might know that she was accepted in the Beloved
On Saturday, the 12th, Mr.
Labbe, who was often in doubt, chiefly at the objections made by his wife, was
quite surprised at Newgate; for God took her there, that she might know that
she was accepted in the Beloved. From there, we went and laid the first stone
of our house with the voice of praise and thanks. Three or four thousand were
present at Bowling Green this afternoon; and in Weavers' Hall, at night, in
answer to our prayers 'that our Lord would then show whether He was willing
that all men should be saved,' three persons immediately sank, and in a short
time were raised and set free.
On Sunday, the 13th, about
six thousand were at the Bowling Green, where I explained the beginning of the
13th day of First Corinthians.
My dear brothers, I ask you
very much for and write to all of you to... [15]
I first preached under the sycamore tree near the
school in Kingswood
I first preached
under the sycamore tree near the school at Kingswood, during a violent
downpour, on the words of Isaiah: 'As the rain comes down from heaven, and
returns not thither, but waters the earth, and causes it to sprout and sprout:
. . . so shall My word that proceedeth out of My mouth be: it shall not return
Me in vain; but he will accomplish whatever I will, and he will prosper in what
I have sent.'
For James Hutton
July 2, 1739.
On Tuesday the 26th,
I preached for the first time under the sycamore tree near the school at
Kingswood, during a violent downpour, on the words of Isaiah: 'As the rain
comes down from heaven, and does not return thither, but waters the earth, and
causes it to sprout and sprout: . . . so shall My word that proceedeth out of
My mouth be: it shall not return Me in vain; but he will accomplish whatever I
will, and he will prosper in what I have sent.'
After explaining to a
few hundred in the Back Alley, I went, as usual, to the classroom, where the
pains of hell involved three people, who soon after saw the light of heaven. [16]
Wales, where there
really is a great awakening
I have just come from
Wales, where there really is a great awakening. God has already done great
things for Howell Harris. There is as much simplicity among the Welsh, who are
waiting for salvation, as I have found nowhere in England.
For James Hutton
BRISTOL, April 12,
1740.
DEAR JEMMY, -- I have
just come from Wales, where there is indeed a great awakening. God has already
done great things for Howell Harris. There is as much simplicity among the
Welsh, who are waiting for salvation, as I have found nowhere in England.
I have not yet had
time to read the Count's Sermons. I sent another hymn. [See Methodist Hymn-Book
Illustrated, pp. 264-5. The hymn, 'I thirst, Thou wounded Lamb of God',
appeared in Hymns and Sacred Poems, 1740, and in the Moravian Hymn-Book, 1742.
It was based on four hymns from the Appendix of the Herrnhut Gesang-Buch,
1735.]
Captain Williams'
statement [Captain Williams's defamatory statement of Wesley's life in Georgia
was sworn before the Mayor of Bristol on March 14, 1740, and prompted Wesley to
publish his Journal. Williams was a Georgia farmer who resented Wesley's stance
on slavery. See letter of August 3, 1742.] I cried in the streets here. But the
peddlers were so accommodating that when I passed any of them, they stopped
until I was far away.
I want to hear the
opinion of C. Delamotte. Will his sugar swallow him completely
I have little time
and a lot to write tonight. Dear Jemmy, allow people to use the means of grace.
If this caution is unnecessary, I will rejoice; for I am His loving brother. [17]
I fear that they have
acted against justice, mercy and truth
I am afraid that the
Moravian professors who have recently been in London (I mean Mr. Spangenberg,
Mollher, and the others) have, in regard to my brother and myself (I speak
plainly), acted against justice, mercy, and truth
For James Hutton
BRISTOL, November 14,
1741.
DEAR JEMMY, -- Almost
from the beginning of my illness [See previous letter.] (which it has now
pleased God in some measure to remove it) has been much on my mind, especially
when I knew that my Lord required my soul of me, to cause some words to be
written in my name for you or some of the Brethren; and I see yours as a
providential sign that the time has come to do so.
I am afraid that the
Moravian professors who have recently been in London (I mean Mr. Spangenberg,
Mollher, and the others) have, in relation to my brother and myself (I speak
plainly), acted against justice, mercy, and truth.
1. To justice. Is it
just for you, my brethren, to enter thus upon the labors of other men without
(I speak of present things), no, wholly contrary to the judgment and consent of
those who labored before that? Let's present a case. Suppose I, having learned
German perfectly, in the neighbourhood of Marienborn, or in Herrnhut itself
(the thing is supposed, if not practicable), go to preach directly against the
judgment and consent of the Count, I should think myself equally fair to a
thief on the road.
2. To mercy. For
where is his mercy in separating the chief friends, in drawing from ourselves
by ole words those who have grown up with us from the beginning, who have borne
with us the burden and heat of the day, and until recently were determined to live
and die with us. I mean (without mentioning more) Mr. Gambold, Hutchings,
Kinkin, and my brother Hall. What use are they now that they have them,
although in fact they are utterly useless to us. What possible end could those
who mourned us for them, if it were this, that, by forcing us to go through
labors which our bodies have not endured, you may hasten our return to him who
sent us. For my part, I cannot but declare that my sense is this, that if I had
gone away now, I should have fallen into my righteousness, but my blood God would have required from his
hands.
3. As to the truth.
How little did you consider that golden rule: 'Let love be without
dissimulation'! How much, a lot, reserve, darkness and evasion was in all his
processes! So much so that, really, I don't know where to put you anymore or
how to understand what you say. I don't know if you receive the gospel as the
proper rule, either of faith or of practice. May the good God have mercy on you
whether you do it or not. To Him I entrust my cause and remain
Your sincere friend.
To Mr. James Hutton,
Bookseller, In Little
Wild Street, near
Clare Market, London. [18]
I don't
like to find Moravians guilty without trial
I myself
'do not like to consider the Moravians guilty without trial, I take no pleasure
in any abuses that are done to them.' Still, I confess: 'I am beginning to be
almost astonished that so little answer is still given to the many accusations
against them.
For James Hutton
January 7, 1755.
SIR: You rightly
observe in your letter of December 31, published in the London Daily
Advertiser, that several friends and sympathizers of the Moravians, into whose
hands the writings of their adversaries have fallen, 'are somewhat impatient
because the Moravians have not yet published any direct reply to any writing in
this country, and would like at last to decide to reply, for their adversaries cry out in all
companies that they have nothing to answer, and that their silence should be
taken as confession.'
Therefore, in order
to bring this question into a short and clear question, I have 'summarized' as
briefly as possible the most relevant parts of the 'accusation against the
Moravians, reducing them to the form of Questions in an Examination.' And I
really 'hope to get clear, positive, categorical answers'; for this is, you
say, 'the very method which the Moravians repeatedly desired, to enable them to
give a reason for the hope that is in them.'
You add: 'I'm glad
that finally someone is so concerned about the truth as to do some
investigation. For are not the accusations against the Moravians of such a
nature as to render an indolent indifference, whether things are true or false,
almost unpardonable? And if anyone is heard for a moment who is sure to
persuade the world, before he sees the Questions and their Answers, that they
will not go to the point'
None, I believe, will
be guaranteed to deny that the Subjoint Consultations 'get straight to the
point'. And since 'this is exactly the method which the Moravians have so often
desired, who can doubt that they will give without delay clear, positive, and
categorical answers'
I could have
elaborated the Questions more accurately, if I had not considered, as you
'expected, the public's impatience for an answer was near all points.' So, as
you wished, I 'used all my speed,' and yet I 'took care to phrase my Questions
so that they deserved the utmost attention, and to the point.'
It is necessary to
remember that frank commitment to the public with which he closes his letter:
'As soon as these Questions are finished, the Moravians, who await them with
sincere nostalgia, will lose no time in answering them.'
You see the
impropriety of adding my name. [19]
The hour has come when our Lord will put away
our reproach
It seems that the time has come when our Lord
will turn away our reproach, and Ephraim will no longer trouble Judah or
Ephraim
For James Hutton
December 26, 1771.
DEAR JAMES,-- It seems that
the time has come when our Lord will turn away our reproach, and Ephraim will
no longer trouble Judah or Ephraim.
Frank Okeley and you, with
my brother and I, at least as many, are lovers of peace. After more than half a
century of years, we are tired of strife and strife. If we still don't think
the same, at least we can love the same. And, in fact, unity of affection is a
good step forward towards unity of judgment. We need not despair of going
further with time: the right hand of the Lord makes powerful things happen.
Nothing will be lacking that is within the reach of, dear James,
His old friend and brother.
To Mr. Hutton, at Lindsey
House, Chelsea. [20]
I'm always happy to see my old friends
You know I'm a busy kind of mortal; However, I am
always happy to see my old friends. But most of them fled from there and are
lodged in Abraham's bosom
For James Hutton
LEWISHAM, January 10,
1772.
DEAR JAMES,-- Little
trips to and fro took up a great deal of my time in those two or three weeks.
You know I'm a busy kind of mortal; However, I am always happy to see my old
friends. But most of them fled from there and are housed in Abraham's bosom. I
hope to be at the West Street Chapel House on Monday, between eleven and
half-four. Desiring all the blessings of the gospel; I remain, dear James,
With affection.
The Foundation
I had already written
before receiving yours.
To Mr. Hutton, at
Lindsey House, Chelsea. [21]
I love you so much; And I love talking to you
I still think so. I love you so much; and I
love talking to you. But I have a strange disorder, commonly called a
hydrocele; so I shall be next week in the hands of the surgeon any time after
that I shall be glad to meet them at John Folgham [Folgham was a member of the
Foundery Society and one of the trustees of the City Road Chapel.
December
31, 1773.
DEAR
JEMMY,--I still think so. I love you so much; and I love talking to you. But I
have a strange disorder, commonly called a hydrocele; so I will be next week in
the hands of the surgeon [Dr. Samuel Wathen removed the book on January 4,
1774. See the Diary, v. 474, vi. 8]. Any time after that, I shall be glad to
meet you at John Folgham [Folgham was a member of the Foundery Society and one
of the trustees of the City Road Chapel. Wesley dined with him on December 31,
1782, and at other times. See the Journal Index] or anywhere.--I am, dear Jemmy,
affectionately yours.[22]
I will be happy with your
company
If I can devote half an hour to Monday, I
shall be glad to have your company. I will endeavor to be at Mr. Atwood's house
[Wesley dined with Atwood on several occasions, see Journal Index], until two
o'clock on Monday
For
James Hutton
LEWISHAM, January 8, 1774.
DEAR JEMMY,--On Tuesday, I
was chosen by Mr. Wathen [See letter of December 31, 1773], and now (blessed be
God) I am well and quiet. I hope yours is a hydrocele; Because, if it is the
case, it admits an easy remedy. Being touched, if you have a skilled surgeon,
is no more than being released with blood. I hope the fumes of dominucete do
you no harm or good [Hutton wrote to the Moravian Society on January 16
resigning as president because of his deafness. See Benham's Hutton, p.496.
Domine stekan, a corruption of Dominus tecum].
If I
can devote half an hour to Monday, I shall be glad to have your company. I will
endeavor to be at Mr. Atwood's [Wesley dined with Atwood on several occasions,
see Journal Index], till two o'clock on Monday. He lives in Pimlico, just behind the Queen's
Gardens.
I suppose Mr. Rivington's
advertisement is just a puff, as the booksellers call it.--I am, dear Jemmy,
With affection. [23]
[1] Overview of Google's AI Mode
[2] "A non-juror clergyman in late seventeenth-century England
was a member of the Anglican Church who refused to take an oath of allegiance
to the new monarchs, William III and Mary II, after the Glorious Revolution of
1688. They considered that the deposed king, James II, was still the rightful
ruler by divine right" (Google AI Mode Overview).
[3]
ttps://en.wikipedia.orgwiki/James_Hutton_(minister)
[4] Overview of Google's AI Mode
[5] Overview of Google's AI Mode
[6] Overview of Google's AI Mode
[7]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[8]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1773/
[9] Overview of Google's AI Mode
[10]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1739/
[11]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1739/
[12]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1739/
[13] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1739/
[14]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1739/
[15]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1739/
[16]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1739/
[17]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1740/
[18]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1741/
[19]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1755/
[20]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[21]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1772/
[22] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1773/
[23]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1774/
Comentários
Postar um comentário