How to
Achieve Victory According to Wesley
Odilon
Massolar Chaves
Copyright
© 2026, Odilon Massolar Chaves
All rights
reserved to the author.
It is
allowed to read, copy and share for free.
Article
184 of the Penal Code and Law 96710 of February 19, 1998.
Books
published in the Wesleyan Digital Library: 857
Books
published by the author: 897
Cover: John Wesley - Facebook José Viladecans
Odilon
Massolar Chaves is a retired Methodist pastor, with a doctorate in Theology and
History from the Methodist University of São Paulo.
Son of
Rev. Adherico Ribeiro Chaves and Roza Massolar Chaves.
He is
married to RoseMary.
He has two
daughters: Liliana and Luciana.
His thesis
dealt with the Methodist revival in England in the eighteenth century and its
contribution as a paradigm for our days.
Table of Contents
·
Introduction
·
God himself prepares
for you occasions of struggle, so that you can overcome
·
How will we win if we
don't fight?
·
To overcome great
temptations requires a lot of grace
·
And this tends to
form a habit, which is not easy to overcome
·
We just need to
overcome evil with good
·
part of a great
athlete being injured (or skinned) and conquering
·
God has prepared for
you the occasions of struggle, so that you can overcome
·
But they still
haven't won the day
·
You must overcome
evil with good
·
Won't you overcome
all sin?
·
Overcome desire, and
you will overcome fear
·
And there is no way
to remove this prejudice but to overcome evil with good
·
If she really wants
to, keep going and you'll win
·
It gives you fighting
occasions that you can win
·
Peace and victory
over sin are essential to faith in the Captain of our salvation
·
It is to be Victory,
even our Faith
·
Sometimes He grants
victory little by little
·
Our Lord got the victory
·
Universal vigilance
is absolutely necessary for our victory over any evil
·
With such an argument
you carry everything in front of you and win a complete victory
·
Keep fighting and
victory is near!
Introduction
"How
to Achieve Victory According to Wesley" is a 33-page book based on his
letters.
In this
book, Wesley speaks of the victory over sin, over fear, over prejudice, over
habit, over struggle, etc.
Struggle is not a sign of God's absence. Wesley said, "God has prepared for you the occasions of struggle, that you may overcome."
He said that "Sometimes He grants victory little by little."
According
to Wesley,
"winning in life with purpose and holiness boils down to three practical rules of
conduct: avoid
all evil, do all possible good, and maintain an active faith
coupled with the wise and generous use of the resources God entrusts to each
person."[1]
To John
Stretton, on March 19, 1788, Wesley wisely said, "We are a new
people, and consequently we must expect many to be prejudiced against us. And
there is no way to remove this prejudice but to overcome evil with good." [2]
John
Wesley's teachings focused on "rigorous discipline, practical faith, and
social responsibility to succeed in spiritual and earthly life. He argued that
God's grace transforms us to live productively, ethically and useful to
others." [3]
To Mrs. Barton on December
30, 1774, Wesley said, "If rightly observed that in judging of the grace
which God has given us, we ought equally to consider what our temptations are,
for a little grace balances small temptations, but to overcome great temptations
much grace is required." [4]
Wesley was frank in his
teachings. To Samuel Furly, on February 21, 1756, he said, "There is only
one possible way to win victory: to overcome desire, and you will overcome
fear. But as long as you are a slave, you must be a coward. Therefore, be free,
or you cannot be bold." [5]
A study that helps us win
our struggles in our day.
The Author
============================
God himself prepares for you occasions of
struggle, so that you can overcome
No, God himself, as observed, "prepares
for you occasions of struggle, that you may conquer." So that you are
still called to fight the good fight of faith, and so to cling to eternal
life. An admirable help in conquering all is for believers to stay close,
to walk hand in hand, and to provoke one another to love and good works
To
Elizabeth Ritchie
NEWCASTLE-UPON-TYNE,
23 June 1774.
MY DEAR BETSY,-- It gives
me pleasure to find that you still stand firm in the freedom with which Christ
has delivered you, and this in spite of various temptations. And these, indeed,
you may still look forward to; for Satan does not sleep, and he will endeavor
to torment if he cannot destroy. No, God himself, as observed, "prepares
for you occasions of struggle, that you may conquer." So that you are
still called to fight the good fight of faith, and so to cling to eternal
life. An admirable help to conquer everything is for believers to stay
close, to walk hand in hand and to provoke one another to love and good works.
And one way to keep God's love pure is to exhort others to press it. When you
meet on a Sunday morning, I doubt you won't, but that will be the main subject
of your prayers and conversations. Then you can expect to be more and more
endowed with power from heaven, testifying that He is faithful and just both to
forgive us our cans and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.--I remain His with
affection. [6]
How
will we win if we don't fight?
For
how will we win if we do not fight? Go forth, then, as a good soldier of Jesus
Christ. Fight the good fight of faith and wait for eternal life! Salvation is
at hand! To seek, not to desire anything else!
For
John Ogilvie
LONDON,
February 21, 1786.
MY
DEAR BROTHER, - See, God commands all right. You have reason to be thankful for
both your illness and your recovery. [He had fallen ill shortly after his
appointment to the Isle of Man, but was now recovered.] But whether you are
sick or healthy, if you stay in His way, you must prepare your soul for
temptations. For how will we win if we do not fight? Go forth, then, as a
good soldier of Jesus Christ. Fight the good fight of faith and wait for
eternal life! Salvation is at hand! To seek, not to desire anything else! - I'm
Your affectionate brother. [7]
To
overcome great temptations requires a lot of grace
If
it is well observed that in order to judge the grace which God has given us, we
must equally consider what our temptations are, for a little grace balances
small temptations, but to overcome great temptations much grace is needed
For Ms. Barton
LONDON, December 30, 1774.
MY DEAR SISTER,--- well
observed that in judging of the grace God has given us, we must equally
consider what our temptations are, for a little grace balances small
temptations, but to overcome great temptations much grace is needed. Before,
you had little temptation, and by His grace you could rejoice with joy
unspeakable. At the moment, you don't find that joy. No; for you have the
temptations that you did not have back then. You have small children, you have
worldly care, and you often have a weak body. Therefore you may have much more
grace than before, though you may not have so much joy; no, though for a time
you have no joy at all, but sorrow and heaviness; Yes, though you must say with
your Master, 'My soul is deeply sorrowful, even unto death.' Ah, what a gain
you are with this! when you are able to say in the midst of all, 'The cup that
my Father has given me, do I not drink it? 'See how He loves whom He chastises!
And what's at the end? An eternal weight of glory!
It's stopped for the two of
you. Prove it now—I am.
Your affectionate brother. [8]
And this tends to form a habit, which is not easy to
overcome
And this tends to form a habit, which is not easy to
overcome, even with those she loves well; but I trust that she will overcome
this and all enemies. Maybe we'll soon rejoice in it
To Mary Stokes
LONDON, February 11,
1772.
MY DEAR SISTER,-- I
am glad that you have had the opportunity to spend time with this wonderful
company. On the day I leave Bristol (Monday 9 March) I hope to be in Stroud
myself. [See Diary, v. 448.] They are not sent there for nothing, but to do as
much as to receive good: and this not for a single family, nor for the four
they know; no, but you have a message from God (you and Ally Eden [Miss S. Ally
Eden, daughter of Henry Eden, of Broadmarston. She wrote to Wesley about
Christian perfection on August 27. John Pawson calls her 'one of the kindest
families I have ever known.' See the Diary, v. 251; Veterans of Wesley, iv. 42;
and letter of December 12, 1773.] also) for all the women of the Society. Lay
aside all malignant shame, all modesty, falsely so called. Going from house to
house; deal faithfully with all of them; warn everyone; To exhort everyone. God
will give you everywhere a word to speak, and His blessing along with it. Be
you here a follower of Nancy Bolton, as she is of Christ.
In doing and doing
the will of our Lord,
We are still
preparing to receive our reward.
I have a lot of hope
for Sally James. [See letters of March 17, 1771 and May 1, 1772 to Miss Helena
S. Stokes.] In the company that normally surrounds you, it is better to use
reserve. And this tends to form a habit, which is not easy to overcome, even with
those she loves well; but I trust that she will overcome this and all enemies.
Perhaps we will soon rejoice in it. It's good that you can be emptied, that you
can be filled. But how come you've never given me an hour of pain since I met
you? Do you always intend to move forward, without stopping or regressing? The
good Lord allows you to do this, and all who are with you! So realize the joy
of
With affection. [9]
We just need to
overcome evil with good
There is no end of
shyness if we stay distant from each other. In this case, we only need to
overcome evil with good; and it is the wisest who yield first. Promises of this
kind have no force. The sooner they are broken, the better.
LONDON, August 4, 1770.
MY DEAR SISTER,-- I was
glad to hear from you; and especially when you hear that you still thirst for
God. Oh, be careful when putting any idol in your heart! Give it all to Him;
for He is worthy. You did very well to go to Jane Johnson. There is no end of
shyness if we stay distant from each other. In this case, we only need to
overcome evil with good; and it is the wisest who yield first. Promises of this
kind have no force. The sooner they are broken, the better. You should take
Molly Strologer to the lodge. Ah, self-will! Like few have conquered it! I
believe it is a good measure for her account: she can make few visits. She
fears God and desires to save her soul; and the visit of those who have Another
Mind will not benefit him: he wants nothing but Christ. Surely you can tell
anything to, my dear sister,
Your affectionate brother. [10]
It's part of a great
athlete to be injured (or skinned) and conquer
Oh, how far from the spirit
of a good soldier of Jesus Christ, who desires only to 'be led alive and to
overcome' ['Stand firm as an anvil when it is wounded. It's part of a great
athlete to be injured (or skinned) and conquer.'
To Ebenezer Blackwell
DUBLIN, July 20, 1752
DEAR LORD, -- Finding
no ship ready to sail, either in Bristol or in Chester, we finally returned to
Whitehaven and embarked last Monday. [His wife and youngest daughter came with
him. See Diary iv. 37.] It is usually a twenty-four-hour passage; But with the
wind continuing against the whole path, we only got to this place on Friday
night. My wife and Jenny became extremely ill, especially when the sea was
rough; but a few days, I hope, will restore their strength. They are already
much better than when they landed.
Last month, a large
mob attacked the new house here and caused considerable damage. [See Diary iv.
38.] Several of the protesters were sent to Newgate. The accounts were
considered against all of them, and were judged ten days before; but, despite
the clearest evidence, a packed jury declared them 'Not Guilty'. I believe,
however, that their own apprehension and trial caused a terror in their
companions. Now we enjoy great silence and can even walk undisturbed through
the early streets of Dublin.
I pretend that my
brother did not want these copies to be transferred to him. I cannot easily
determine, until I have full information on the various details you discuss,
whether it is expedient to make such a change (though it would relieve me
greatly, or leave everything as it is. Therefore, I believe it will be better
not to take any more steps until I return to London. [In reply to the letter of
May 23, Blackwell evidently advised that Wesley should be relieved of the
management of his literary affairs.]
I am fully convinced
that if you always had one or two faithful friends around who spoke the truth
from the heart and cared for you with love, you would move quickly in the race
that is before you. I'm afraid you haven't been referred by someone who's been
in town recently; nor did this journey serve his own soul. He brought no less
indolence and gentle inactivity than he did to London. [Was this Robert
Swindells, who was in England in September, 1751, and now in Ireland? See
letter of December 20, 1751.] Oh, how far from the spirit of a good soldier of
Jesus Christ, who desires only to 'be led alive and to overcome' ['Stand firm
as an anvil when it is wounded. It's part of a great athlete to be injured (or
skinned) and conquer.' (Epistle of St. Ignatius to Polycarp, section 3.)] Our
best wishes to Ms. Blackwell, Ms. Dewal and to you. -- I am, dear sir,
Your most
affectionate servant. [11]
God has prepared for you
the occasions of struggle, so that you can overcome
To Elizabeth Briggs
ATHLONE, April 14, 1771.
MY DEAR BETSY,-- You can be
sure that I am always very happy to hear from you and that I will never think
that your letters are too long. Always tell me everything that is in your
heart, and the more freely the better. Otherwise, it would hardly be possible
to give you the advice you would like from time to time. As soon as you put on
your armor, it was fitting that it should be tested; so God has prepared for
you the occasions of struggle, that you may conquer and know both your own
weakness and your strength. Each day will bring only temptation and sufficient
power to overcome it; and, as it is said, temptations, with deliverances
distinct from them, are of great profit.' The anointing of the Holy One is
given to believers for just this purpose—so that they can distinguish (what
would otherwise be impossible) between sin and temptation. And this you will
do, not as a general rule, but by listening to Him on all particular occasions,
and by consulting those who have experience in the ways of God. No doubt both
you, Philothea, and my dear Miss Philothea. Perronet are now more called to
speak for God. In doing so, you should expect to find a lot of things that are
not to the liking of flesh and blood. But that's okay. How much more will you
conform to the death of Christ. Go in His name and in the power of His power.
Suffer and conquer all things. --I am, my dear Betsy,
With affection. [12]
But they still haven't won the day
The Lord God Almighty reigns. And can't He bring all
things back to His glory? How long will the vainglorious enemy triumph? No
longer (at least) than the murmur is in your nostrils; and then all your vain
thoughts will perish. But they still haven't won the day
To Samuel Furley
SUNDON, March 7,
1758.
DEAR SAMMY,-- You did
a good job of writing to me in the first week of this month. I'd be happy if
you continued with this on a regular basis. And you did an excellent job of
giving me the full and private account of that (I must say unlucky) accident. For
really non satis mihi constiterat cum aliquane animi mei molestia an potirer
libenter accepi. [Cicero to Gaius Mymius, Epistolae ad diversos, xiii. 1: 'It
is not clear whether I should receive it with a certain feeling of anguish or
accept it cheerfully.'] I am in mourning, worried about the consequences that
may occur. But I am satisfied, I rejoice that the Lord has done such a work of
conviction in that poor Pharisee. Yes, I cannot help but be extremely happy
that you do not work innem cepisse. ['That I didn't start a useless task'] I am
also not sorry, but rather pleased that you lent her [See letter of November
20, 1756.] that little 'treaty of awakening.' Hearing this for the first time,
indeed, my spirit was troubled; Mental confusion overwhelmed me, seized partly
by fear, partly by sadness, and partly by astonishment. But why do we fear or
why are we knocked down? The Lord God Almighty reigns. And can't He bring all
things back to His glory? How long will the vainglorious enemy triumph? No
longer (at least) than the murmur is in your nostrils; and then all your vain
thoughts will perish. But they haven't won the day yet. Who knoweth but the
Lord can give peace, love, power, and the spirit of sound mind to her who, for
a time, is deeply afflicted by the cruel and overwhelming power of Satan. At a
time when the wicked do not think of it, the Lord can arise and keep up His own
cause and silence the vains of the proud. That all around may see, fear, and
acknowledge, 'This is the Lord's work.' What He does now we still do not know.
It is our role to wait patiently to see what He will do. Quietus esto. Stay
calm in the midst of this storm. I pity you, indeed, who are right in the
middle of it. For my part, I leave the matter unconcerned in His hands, who will
not do, cannot make mistakes; But not without feeling a lot of shame for
myself. I didn't organize my conversation properly the whole time I was in the
place; I was afraid of offending: so I assumed too much the appearance of one
of them. I didn't dare be utterly singular, to be constantly, constantly
serious in front of them. Now, for this circumstance, the Lord has rebuked me
and taught me wisdom. Here He allowed not a small offense to arise from a
neighborhood that I could neither foresee nor avoid. Where is all my worldly
prudence now? What happened to my fearful caution? The Lord destroyed her. Not,
indeed, with the breath of His mouth, but with the rushing torrent of His
sudden providence. Take note of this, and resolve in the bright heart: may the
Lord be feared, honored, and obeyed even in the midst of lions; or make us feel
the weight of His uplifted hand. I feel this moment as my just punishment for
my basic cowardice. This sin weighs more heavily on my conscience at this time
than almost all my crimes and all the transgressions of my youth. And a sin
that rests upon the conscience is a weight of misery.
There is no time to
give you any particular relation about me, this case having prolonged my letter
too long. I am currently studying, I am just making slow progress. I'm not at
all satisfied with myself at this moment. I have just begun the History of Lord
Clarendon, which is an account of the ways, vices, and passions of men that one
who knew not the corruption of human nature could hardly be induced to believe
in his fellow-men. I will conclude this letter by stating that I would like God
that such a deep work of conviction should be done in his heart and mine as God
began in that poor afflicted woman; I would like us to feel the Lord's arrows
stuck in our conscience as she did. Oh, when shall we repent, with this
penetrating sense, of all our sins and all our backsliding? It is not the time
to come, the time to be spared today. God knows if we will be tomorrow. But we
know that whatever knowledge, whatever gifts we have, purity of heart will only
have true value in the end. To the sincere search for which I admire your
being. Yours, etc. (1) It is the love of God. It has heights, depths, strength
stronger than death. (2) Of God in Christ. How sweet about it. Best of all. No
changes. [13]
You must overcome
evil with good
So far the Lord has
helped you. He delivered; and you can be sure that He will still deliver. He
has given and taken away: but still you can praise Him, for He does not take
His Spirit from you. I hope you don't find shyness in Brother Lee or Hopper. If
there is, you must overcome evil with good
To Mary Bosanquet
LONDON, December 11, 1768.
MY DEAR SISTER,--I am
afraid you do not straighten up; And I wasn't in a hurry. Still, we have so
much around here that I have a call ready for what I have to offer. I'm glad
that Brother Taylor's case has been heard: it seems that all parties are now quite
satisfied. If we live till next autumn, the annual Conference will be in Leeds.
It will be a little strange if you do not see me then, although it has been
twice three miles from Gildersome.
You have no reason to
fear, but just like your day, your strength will be. So far the Lord has helped
you. He delivered; and you can be sure that He will still deliver. He has given
and taken away: but still you can praise Him, for He does not take His Spirit
from you. I hope you don't find shyness in Brother Lee or Hopper. If there is,
you must overcome evil with good. I always go
I'd be happy to hear
from you or Sally Crosby. I trust that neither life nor death will separate
you, my dear sister, from your affectionate brother.
For Miss Helena.
Bosanquet, at the home of Mr. James Rhodes, Leeds. [14]
Won't you
overcome all sin?
He loves
the Methodists with his heart, but he is not free from the fear of man. Still,
I have great hope that love will overcome fear. Won't you overcome all sin?
For Samuel Furly
TULLAMORE,
May 3, 1758.
DEAR SAMMY,-- Two
conversations I had with the Bishop of Londonderry, [William Barnard
(1697-1768), Bishop of Derry 1747. See the letters of April 8 and July 28.] and
processimus pulchre. ['We have made good progress.'] I intend to write to him
in a few days, and then I can form a better judgment. He loves the Methodists
with his heart, but he is not free from the fear of man. Still, I have great
hope that love will overcome fear. Won't you overcome all sin? Why don't you go
every afternoon to visit the sick? You can find a more lucrative job--I'm your
affectionate brother. To the Rev. Mr. Furly, at Mr. Greenwood's house. [15]
Overcome desire, and
you will overcome fear
There is only one
possible way to win victory: to overcome desire, and you will overcome fear.
But as long as you are a slave, you must be a coward. So be free, or you can't
be bold
For Samuel Furly
LONDON, February 21, 1756.
DEAR SAMMY, -- There is
only one possible way to win victory: to overcome desire, and you will overcome
fear. But as long as you are a slave, you must be a coward. Therefore, be free,
or you cannot be bold. Never write to this person, nor about them [The
reference is to his love affairs. See letter of March 14.]; and continue
instantly in prayer. Cut off the right hand and cast it from you; Otherwise,
you will be poor and miserable all your days, and one sin will punish another
until the end of the day of grace. -- I am
Your affectionate brother. [16]
And
there is no way to remove this prejudice but to overcome evil with good
We
are a new people and, consequently, we should expect many to be prejudiced
against us. And there is no way to remove this prejudice but to overcome evil with
good
To
John Stretton
GLOUCESTER, March 19, 1788.
MY DEAR BROTHER, -- I am
glad that the little dispute between Mr. Balfour and John McGeary has come to
an end. It is good advice for every Christian: 'If it is possible, however much
it may be in you, live in peace with all men.' But of all others, Methodists
are concerned to follow this counsel carefully.
I have a confused
recollection of some objections against you last year, made, I believe, by John
Hoskins. [See letter of August 10, 1780.] I hope that if there was ever any
basis for them, it has now been removed. We need to be extremely careful that
the good that is in us is not talked about evil. -- I am
Your affectionate brother. [17]
If she really wants to, keep going and you'll win
I'm glad that Miss Helena S. Helena S. Williams has
come a little closer to us. Do the same well with Molly Jones. [See letter of
December 26, 1771 to Miss Helena S. Helena S. Stokes.] She claims to love you;
If she really wants to, keep going and you'll win.
To Mary Stokes
[About January,
1772.]
MY DEAR SISTER,-- To
speak for God, you must not consult flesh and blood, or you will never begin.
You must vehemently resist the devil of reasoning, who will never want
arguments for your silence. In fact, naturally all passions are justified: as
are fear and shame, in particular. In this case, therefore, the simple and
childlike boldness of faith is particularly necessary. And when you have
separated yourself and made the beginning, then prudence has its
purpose—namely, Christian (not worldly) prudence, which arises from the
anointing of the Holy One, and teaches how far and how to speak, according to a
thousand different circumstances.
You do not yet see
the dawn of day in relation to those near and dear to you. But you shouldn't
infer that it never will be. Prayer that does not come out of feigned lips will
not fall to the ground; but 'though it seemeth to go on a long time, His word is
true and faithful.'
With affection.
Your affectionate
brother. [18]
It gives you fighting occasions that you can
win
But what are the temptations for you? It
gives you occasions of struggle that you can win. If there is no struggle,
there is no victory
To Damaris Perronet
DUBLIN, March 30, 1771.
It does not surprise me
that you are so close to Miss Helena. Bolton. She is an affable young woman.
When she was with us for the last time, I marked every word and almost every
meaning; but I found nothing to rebuke. There was holiness and love in all his
actions. God sent it to you at an acceptable time. She came with a good
message, and blessed is she who believed; for there will be a fulfillment of
those things which have been spoken to him. He will water you at every moment,
and the continuity of the great salvation depends on it. It will certainly
continue if you watch and pray; And yet not without temptation. I hope
temptations come upon you
Thick as autumn leaves that
spread the valleys,
But what are the
temptations for you? It gives you occasions of struggle that you can win. If
there is no struggle, there is no victory. There is no general rule by which we
can always determine whether a thought comes from a good or evil spirit; but on
all particular occasions we may plead this promise, "If a man is willing
to do My will, he will know the doctrine, or suggestion, by the light then
given, be it of God."
Your affectionate brother. [19]
Peace and victory over sin are essential to faith in
the Captain of our salvation
But it was not long
before the enemy suggested, 'This cannot be faith, for where is your
joy?'" "I was then taught that peace and victory over sin are
essential to faith in the Captain of our salvation
Highlights from the
book "The Life of Rev. John Wesley" by John Whitehead.
"In the evening
I was very reluctant to a meeting in Aldersgate Street, where someone was
reading Luther's preface to the Epistle to the Romans. About eight-forty-five,
as he described the change God works in the heart through faith in Christ, I
felt my heart strangely warm. I felt that I trusted in Christ—in Christ
alone—for salvation; and I received assurance that He had taken away my sins,
even mine, and delivered me from the law of sin and death.
"I began to pray
with all my fervor for those who had especially treated me with contempt and
persecuted me. Then I openly testified to all present what I felt for the first
time in my heart. But it was not long before the enemy suggested, 'This cannot
be faith, for where is your joy?'" "I was then taught that peace and
victory over sin are essential to faith in the Captain of our salvation; but
that as for the raptures of joy which generally accompany its
beginning—especially in those who have deeply mourned—God sometimes bestows and
sometimes withholds them, according to the designs of His own will." [20]
It is to be Victory,
even our Faith
The points of his War
are powerful through him: He need not fight uncertainly, as one who carries the
Air, but prove himself in all circumstances; It's 'be Victory, even our Faith
London,
Assistant. 29, 1752
Reverend
and dear Sir,
I THANK
you for another Demonstration of your Care for my Soul, in the Investigations
you do. I bless my Lord, Your Grace is sufficient to make me respond without
any hesitation (...).
For many
months I have enjoyed such a constant continuity of my Beloved's presence, for
it makes me feel that I am less than the least of his mercies. If the
contemplation of Him who is more beautiful than the Sons of Men, the Vision of
Christ crucified, prevents the Touch of Pride and makes me hate the Garment
stained by the Flesh. The Testimony I desire is not from Man, and the
appropriation of Gon never makes me mind high. Rather, I rejoice with him with
reverence. He teaches me to charm my love in him. And I feel that I cannot be
dissatisfied with anything that is your choice (...).
In fact,
Jesus is indescribably precious: "Words are too cruel to speak his... Too
mean to present my Saviour, "He makes me daily new discoveries of his
grace and power.
My wish
for you is that you can. to increase with all the Increase of GOD and return to
us in the Fullness of the Gospel; de Paz. I believe so, and that you will be a
blessing to me and to many; I think Mr. Bell is willing to accept whatever
advice you see fit to give. I answer what I have said before; those who seek.
Dissensions are no friend of God's work. I trust you to work for Peace,
'"* and GOD. Peace will be with you: always.
I give
everything to Jesus daily, and I have no sacrifice to make that has not been
offered before. He gives me Strength for everything _Ele calls me to endure:
And I find it easy for Love that believes that all things last (...).
I wish him
the best of luck. The points of his War are powerful through him: He need not
fight uncertainly, as one who carries the Air, but prove himself in all
circumstances; It is 'to be Victory, even our Faith. Continue to show your care
for me, rebuking and advising me as X as you deem necessary. I am sensible of
all my instructions to you, and, dear sir, I am your affectionate and welcoming
servant. [21]
Sometimes He grants victory
little by little
Sometimes it pleases our
Lord to accomplish a great deliverance, even of this kind, in an instant.
Sometimes He grants victory little by little. And I believe this is more
common. Expect that and every good gift coming from him. How wise and gracious
are all His ways!
To Peggy Dale
KILKENNY, July 5, 1765.
MY DEAR SISTER,-- While it
is certain that the kind of wandering thoughts you mention are consistent with
pure love, it is highly desirable to be freed from them, because (as you
observe) they hinder profitable thoughts. And why shouldn't you be set free? In
fact, we do not know how this will be done. Sometimes it pleases our Lord to
accomplish a great deliverance, even of this kind, in an instant. Sometimes He
grants victory little by little. And I believe this is more common. Expect that
and every good gift coming from him. How wise and gracious are all His ways!
Do you often find in
yourself the witness that you are saved from sin? And is that usually clear? Or
do you often miss it? I don't know why I should miss out on any good gift. For
is He not the same yesterday, today, and forever? And yet you have only known a
little of him. You must sink a thousand times deeper into Him: That sea of
light and unknown love, without bottom or margin.
I hope that Miss Helena S.
Lewen and you talk to each other, not only without disguise, but without
reservation. How your group is set up on fair ground! How well are you to make
the best of a short life! Cut off from the world and all its cares, you have
joy or sorrow, hope or fear. That is, in relation to present things. No: God
has given you a nobler portion. You have nothing to care about other than how
you can more fully and effectively present yourself as a living sacrifice to
God.
When I reflect on your
earnest desire to do this, and on your simplicity of heart, it brings
indescribable pleasure to, my dear sister, your affectionate brother. I hope to
stay in Dublin until the end of this month. I send Miss Helena's letter. Lewen
by Portpatrick to try which will be the soonest. [The letter to Miss Helena S.
Lewen is missing.] For Miss Helena. Peggy Dale, at the Orphans' House,
Newcastle-upon-Tyne. [22]
Our Lord got the victory
We prayed that God, who brought her to birth, would give
her strength to give birth, and that He would act quickly, so that all could
see it, fear, and trust in the Lord. Five days later she had labor and moaned,
being in captivity. On Thursday night, our Lord got the victory; and since then
she has been full of love and joy, which she openly declared in the same
[Society] last Saturday
To George Whitefield
LONDON, February 26,
1739.
MY DEAR BROTHER, --
The hand of our Lord is not shortened between us. Yesterday I preached at St.
Katherine's and at Islington, where the church was about as hot as some rooms
of the Society used to be. I don't think I've ever been so empowered before. The
fields after the service were white, with people praising God. About three
hundred persons were present at Mr. Sims's house; then I went to Mr. Bell's
house, then to Fetter Lane, and at nine to Mr. Bray's, where we also just
wanted space. Today I explain in the Minories at four, at Mrs. West's house at
six, and to a large company of poor sinners in Gravel Lane (Bishopsgate) at
eight. Mr. Crouch's Society only meets at eight; for I exmented, before I go to
him, near St. James's Square, where a young woman has lately been taken by the
Holy Ghost and overflows with joy and love. On Wednesday at six we have a noble
company of women, not adorned with gold or costly garments, but with a meek and
quiet spirit and good works. At the Savoy on Thursday evening, we usually have
two or three hundred, most at least fully awake. Mr. Abbot's room is more than
crowded on Friday, as is Mr. Park's room twice; where I usually had more power
than anywhere else. A week or two ago, I received a note there, as I recall,
with these words: 'Your prayers are desired by a sick, mad, and deeply troubled
child day and night, that our Lord may heal him, as He healed those in the days
of His flesh; and that He would give their fathers faith and patience until
their time comes.'
On Saturday night, a
well-dressed middle-aged woman in Beech Lane (where I usually talk to five or
six hundred before going to Mrs. Exall's Society) was apprehended, according to
several about her, with little less than the agony of death. We prayed that
God, who brought her to birth, would give her strength to give birth, and that
He would act quickly, so that all could see it, fear, and trust in the Lord.
Five days later she had labor and moaned, being in captivity. On Thursday
night, our Lord got the victory; and since then she has been full of love and
joy, which she openly declared in the same [Society] last Sabbath: so that many
also gave thanks to God for her sake. It is important to note that her friends
considered her crazy during these three years, and so they bled, burned her,
and everything else. Come, and we praise the Lord and enlarge His name
together. [23]
Universal vigilance
is absolutely necessary for our victory over any evil
You must have a heart
full of grace, or you will have your hands full of work. Universal vigilance is
absolutely necessary for our victory over any evil. Whatever you do, do it with your strength
To Samuel Furly
BRISTOL, September 2, 1758. MY DEAR BROTHER,-- I know of no way to heal curious
men but to fill them with the love of God.
If the great majority
of those who attended Thursday's sermon were Methodists, I know not, but it was
right to put Mr. Charles in his place. Otherwise, it would be wrong; for he
that escapeth the sword of Jehu shall slay Elisha. Every preacher God has sent
will have a message for some souls that have not been reached by anyone else.
And the more people who attend his preaching, the better; the more room there
is for God to act.
I found Mr. Jones's
book, and I'm going to send it by Jemmy Morgan. [Evidently, books borrowed from
Mr. Jones and Mr. Holloway. Morgan came with Wesley from Ireland. See Diary,
iii. 335, 459; and letters of January 8, 1757 and April 26, 1760.] I shall probably
meet Mr. Holloway in a little while. I would like you to carefully read the
Instructions for Married Persons. [See Green's Bibliography, no. 163.] It is an
excellent pamphlet. You must have a heart full of grace, or you will have your
hands full of work. Universal vigilance is absolutely necessary for our victory
over any evil. Whatever you do, do it with your strength.--I am your
affectionate brother.
With such
an argument you carry everything in front of you and win a complete victory
'If I am
not answered, then I am not responsible.' Who can deny the consequence With
such an argument you carry everything in front of you and win a complete
victory.
To Samuel Furly
DUBLIN, July 30, 1762.
DEAR SAMMY,--'If I am
not answered, then I am not responsible.' Who can deny the consequence With
such an argument you carry everything in front of you and win a complete
victory. You reminded me of the honest man who cried out as I preached, 'Quid
est tibi nomen,' and, when he answered nothing, shouted vehemently, 'I told you
he didn't understand Latin!'
Sometimes I
understand, although I don't answer. This happens often between you and me. You
love squabbling [See the September 15 letter to him.] You have a lot of time,
and I have a lot of work. No sumus ergo pares. But if you disagree with
Nicholas Norton, he's your equal. He has both leisure and love for work.
For me, I will only
expose the case one more time. Here are forty or fifty people who declare (and
I can believe their words, for I know them well), each for himself: 'God has
permitted me to rejoice for ever, and to pray and give thanks without ceasing.
He allowed me to give Him my whole heart, which I believe He cleansed from all
sin. I feel no pride, no anger, no desire, no unbelief, but pure love alone.' I
ask, 'So you believe you no longer need Christ or His atoning blood?' Everyone
answers, 'I have never felt my desire for Christ so deeply and intensely as I
do now. I feel the desire of Christ, my Priest, as well as of the King, and I
receive all that I have in him and through him. At every moment I want the
merit of his death, and I have it at every moment.'
But you think, 'They
cannot want the merit of Your death if they are saved from sin.' They think
differently. They know and feel otherwise, whether they can explain it or not.
There is not one, neither in this city nor in this kingdom, who does not agree
with this.
Here's a simple fact.
You can contest, reason, complain about it, for as long as you want. In the
meantime, I know from every kind of proof that these are the happiest and
holiest people in the kingdom. Their light shines before men. They are zealous
in good works and work to abstain from every appearance of evil. They have the
mind that was in Christ, and they walk just as Christ also walked.
And I will cease to
rejoice for these holy and happy men because they err in their judgment. If you
do, I wish you, I, and all mankind were under the same error; as long as we had
the same faith, the same love, and the same holiness within and without--I am,
dear Sammy, Yours with dearly. He will not meet us in Leeds on August 10 [The
Conference met there on that date.] [24]
Keep fighting and
victory is near!
Raise hands that hang
down; deny yourself; Take up your cross, whether you meet your class or any
other. Keep fighting, and victory is near!
To
Dorothy Furly
TREMENEARE,
September 6, 1757.
Why
you should be afraid because of anything you told me, I don't know. Surely, if
you had said whatever was in your heart, perhaps it was a way to lighten your
burden and not to increase it. I believe you often have the desire, and almost
the resolution, to tell me a great deal; But when you come to write or speak,
your heart fails. Why should it? Why should you repress yourself? I must not
despise but love you for your openness. It is the fruit and proof of an honest
heart. I know you're weak; I know a little of your particular weaknesses. But
all the more I worry about you as a tender and sick flower. So, away with this
reservation; It serves no purpose other than to annoy and embarrass you. Tell
me freely and clearly any difficulty you encounter, any enemy you want help
against. Use me as a friend, just as I hope you use Sarah Crosby, and you will
see it a blessing to your soul. It will bring the promise of holiness closer
again; which, indeed, always seems to be far off when we yield to any known sin,
when in any way grieve the Spirit of God. There may be rare instances where God
has decided not to bestow His perfect love until shortly before death; but this
I believe to be unusual: He does not usually postpone the fulfillment of His
promises. Seek, and you will find; Search hard and you will find it quickly.
Raise hands that hang down; deny yourself; Take up your cross, whether you meet
your class or any other. Keep fighting, and victory is near! -- I am, dear Miss
Helena. Fury,
His affectionate servant. [25]
[1] Overview of Google's AI Mode
[2]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1788/
[3] Overview of Google's AI Mode
[4]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1774/
[5]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1756/
[6]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1774/
[7]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1786/
[8]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1774/
[9]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1772/
[10]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1770/
[11]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1752/
[12]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[13]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1758/
[14]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1768/
[15]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1758/
[16]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1756/
[17]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1788/
[18]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1772/
[19]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[20] The life of the Rev. John Wesley, M.A. by John Whitehead, 1793.
[21]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1752/
[22]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1765/
[23]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1739/
[24]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1762/
[25]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1757/
Comentários
Postar um comentário