Arminian Magazine, the
magazine of the Methodist Movement
Odilon
Massolar Chaves
Copyright
© 2026, Odilon Massolar Chaves
All rights
reserved to the author.
It is
allowed to read, copy and share for free.
Article
184 of the Penal Code and Law 96710 of February 19, 1998.
Books
published in the Wesleyan Digital Library: 870
Books
published by the author: 910
Cover: https://wesley.nnu.edu/arminianism/the-arminian-magazine/
Odilon
Massolar Chaves is a retired Methodist pastor, with a doctorate in Theology and
History from the Methodist University of São Paulo.
Son of
Rev. Adherico Ribeiro Chaves and Roza Massolar Chaves.
He is
married to RoseMary.
He has two
daughters: Liliana and Luciana.
His thesis
dealt with the Methodist revival in England in the eighteenth century and its
contribution as a paradigm for our days.
Table of Contents
· Introduction
· Editorial line of Revista Arminiana
·
Arminian Magazine's Top Editors and
Contributors
· Joseph Benson
· Anonymous correspondent for Arminian Magazine
·
I think it's worth having a place in Arminian
Magazine
· Arminian Magazine Sermons
·
And the same is insisted upon in one of the
sermons in the Arminian Magazine
·
Unequivocal answers to these interesting
questions, in Arminian Magazine
·
The books were Wesley's publications,
including the Arminian Magazine
·
A larger one will be inserted in the Magazine
· Appeared in Arminian Magazine
·
Along with the upcoming Magazines, to York
·
Perhaps very much in the method established
in one of the Journals
·
The verses deserve to be inserted in the
Arminian Magazine
· Just like in the magazine
·
Taking every opportunity to recommend the
Journal
· Don't forget the Magazine
·
It can probably have a place in the magazine
·
I will order it to be inserted in the
magazine
·
I intend to print them both in Lloyd's
Evening Post and in the magazine
·
My time is short; So I post as much as I can
at once
·
How much do you, in recommending the Journal
· You'll produce several new subscribers
·
Benson's criticism (on 'Polygamy and
Marriage') was published in the magazine
·
If you can spread the magazines, you'll do
well
·
I can answer in my monthly magazine
·
I believe it will be published in one of the
following magazines
·
I really think it will be appropriate to
publish something in the magazine
·
We agree that no politics will have a place
in the Arminian Review
·
I never intend to publish your photo in the
Magazine
·
I promise that I will not publish your
picture in the magazine until the middle of the summer of 1785
·
Be serious to spread the magazines
·
In my Diaries, in the Magazine, in every
possible way
·
I will not allow Thomas Olivers to kill the
Arminian magazine any longer
·
And
in the magazine I apply for both
· You can pick up these three volumes of
Magazines
============================
Introduction
"Arminian
Magazine, the magazine of the Methodist Movement" is a 44-page book based
on Wesley's letters.
"Founded by John Wesley in 1778, the Arminian
Magazine published defenses of universal redemption against
Calvinism, biographies of godly Christians, accounts of spiritual experiences,
and devotional letters, with the goal of uniting the Methodist community around
grace accessible to all." [1]
Wesley called it
"Magazine" and "Arminian Magazine."
It was a monthly
publication. The editorial line included not publishing politics.
Arminian Magazine "reached a
circulation of about 7,000 copies a month around the end of its life and the
1790s, a significant number for the religious periodicals of the time in
England." [2]
Wesley asked the preachers to recommend the Magazine. To Lancelot Harrison, on January 16, 1780, Wesley said, "You have done well to recommend the Hymnals, and you will do even better by taking every opportunity to recommend the Magazine." [3]
To others, he said: "Don't forget the Magazine".
The importance of the Magazine can be seen in Wesley's statement to John Valton, on December 31, 1780: "If you can get the magazines out there, you will do well. The letters contained therein contain the marrow of Christianity." [4]
Wesley was a perfectionist and took the publications in the Magazine seriously. To Dr. Bradshaw, on August 15, 1789, Wesley said of his editor and friend: "I cannot, dare not, will not allow Thomas Olivers to kill the Arminian magazine any longer. The errata are intolerable and countless. They will no longer be like this." [5]
An example of the importance of a
magazine or a newspaper for the edification, unity and orientation of the
Methodist people.
The Author
============================
Editorial
line of Revista Arminiana
Only John and Charles Wesley decided what was published in the magazine.
On October 18, 1777, Wesley said, "My brother and I alone are the judges to decide which parts shall be admitted."
Among
Wesley's determinations for the publication of texts in the magazine, we
highlight:
Non-publication of policy
To Walter Churchey, on October 18, 1777, Wesley said: "We agree that no policy will have a place in the Arminian Review. But poetry goes." [6]
Theological Defense: Original articles and treatises that defended the doctrine that God desires the salvation of all human beings, opposing the concept of unconditional predestination,[7] as well as combating extraneous doctrines.
To Peard Dickinson, on April 29, 1788, Wesley said, "I really think it will be proper to publish something in the magazine about this idle Popish vanity of 'Consecrated Land.'" [8]
Biographies of Saints and death note: "Detailed excerpts on the lives of pious and exemplary men and women in the Christian faith." [9]
To Thomas Rutherford, on December 24, 1789, Wesley wrote: "I thank you for your account of Jane Newland, which I trust will be useful to many. A short excerpt from it I'll probably send you in a day or two. A larger one will be inserted in the Magazine". [10]
Experience Reports and Death Notes: Letters and testimonies sent by Methodist faithful describing their spiritual experiences and conversions[11] as well as the death of Methodists.
To Mrs. Crosby, on November 13, 1788, Wesley said, "I thank you for your account of the death of Miss Crosby." Corkle, which is highly remarkable. It should not be hidden under a bushel; so I will order it to be inserted in the magazine". [12]
Social and General Texts: Abolitionist articles and letters coordinated by Wesley himself against the slave trade. [13]
Wesley "used the
Arminian Magazine to disseminate the treatise Thoughts upon Slavery (1774), a
landmark of abolitionism that denounced human trafficking as a national sin and
a serious violation of human rights. Wesley argued that slavery was unacceptable
in the light of theology and justice, holding buyers and dealers accountable,
and emphasizing equality before God." [14]
Arminian
Magazine's Top Editors and Contributors
Joseph
Benson
Joseph
Benson (1749–1821) was one of the most important
theologians, itinerant preachers, and early leaders of the Methodist
movement in England. He acted as one of the right-hand men of John Wesley,
the founder of Methodism.
Official Editor: He edited Methodist Magazine for nearly two decades, dramatically increasing the magazine's circulation, and compiled the first major collection of John Wesley's complete works after death." [15]
Thomas Olivers
Thomas
Olivers (1725-1799) was born in the village of Tregynon in Montgomeryshire,
Wales.
Wesley
convinced him to be an itinerant preacher, which he did for 22 years. He
traveled on horseback more than 100 thousand miles.
He
was friends with Wesley and they had an almost father-son relationship.
He
was the author of a few books. He wrote twenty hymns, among them: "Come,
immortal King of glory"; "Our hearts and hands are lifted up for
Christ" and the best known: "Praise the God of Abraham".
Walter
Churchey
Walter
Churchey "was a lawyer, amateur poet and key figure in early Methodism in
Brecon, Wales. He was a collaborator and personal friend of John Wesley, taking
an active part in the expansion of the movement and in advising the publication
of important literary works." [16]
Churchey was a preacher, but he was very fond of religious poetry.
"He often sent his papers and sought John Wesley's opinion." [17]
For
some historians, it was he who suggested to Wesley the publication of the
'Arminian Magazine', which began on January 1, 1778.
George Story
He
was a Methodist preacher and editor of the Arminian Magazin. He took over as
editor of the Magazine after Wesley's death.
"George Story (of Hull) was an important
itinerant preacher and assistant to John Wesley in the eighteenth century.
After John Wesley's passing in 1791, Story took over the supervision and
editorial work of the Arminian Magazine (later renamed The Methodist Magazine),
helping to preserve and propagate the theology and literature of the early
Methodist movement in England alongside the likes of Joseph Benson. His
autobiography and travelogues appear in historical collections on the first
British Methodist preachers."[18]
Anonymous
correspondent for Arminian Magazine
I have a long letter
from an anonymous correspondent about Arminian Magazine. It seems to have been
written with a user-friendly design and in excellent spirit. The objections
mentioned there seem to be partly his, partly repeated by others.
For a friend
LONDONDERRY, June 5,
1778.
DEAR SIR, - I have a
long letter from an anonymous correspondent about the Arminian Magazine. It
seems to have been written with a user-friendly design and in excellent spirit.
The objections mentioned there seem to be partly his, partly repeated by others.
The first is: 'It's
too short; Some other magazines are almost as long again. It is true that there
are as many pages as there are in others; but there are not so many lines on a
page, nor as many by ten or twelve, as in the Spiritual Magazine.'
I respond by
confessing to the accusation. It is undeniably true that it does not contain as
many verses, either in prose or verse, as the Spiritual Magazine. E
Tonson, that he
himself is a sagaco,
It weighs the merits
of the writers per sheet. [Prior's Epistle to F. Shephard.]
In addition,
thousands too; But I don't write for those. I write for those who judge books
not by their quantity but by their quality, who ask not how long they are, but
how good they are. I spare both my reader's time and my own, expressing my
meaning in as few words as I can. Those who prefer sellers, in many words, can
find them everywhere. And of those, they can have not only so much more, but
ten times as much for their money.
A second objection
is, 'There is not enough variety here.' I answer: Here is all the variety I
promised: I promised that most of the magazine (as its title suggests) should
deal with Universal Redemption. And so you had reason to expect that most of
each number would revolve around that single point. Do you blame me for
maintaining my point of view by not rambling on the subject? It's not my way; I
don't aim at that. Whether speaking or writing, I try to avoid this kind of
variety and always keep one thing in mind.
'But there is no
variety in the historical part.' What do you mean by you: would you make me
insert bits and pieces of history, or give in each number part of one man's
life and part of another's? I never proposed this: I think it's much better to
select some of the best lives I know, and go through one whole before entering
another.
In the letters, there
is certainly as much variety as any reasonable man can hope for. In fact, they
are all serious. And they all relate to one thing: the work of God in the
heart. But this is also what I promised at the beginning, what I proposed from the
beginning.
'But it would not be
advisable to get and print letters from several correspondents' Yes, if I could
hope for something better than I have already done; but I have no hope of that.
I believe that many of those who are now by my side will not be easily surpassed,
either in feeling or expression, by any other that I may receive.
'But they would not
make many of their correspondents raise objections and thus cause more
variety,' They would; But this is a variety that I particularly detest. I have
carefully avoided it from the beginning, and I will avoid it until the end of
the work. I design by going straight to prove my point without deviating to the
right or left.
'But you don't have
pictures, other decorations or embellishments that other magazines have.' It's
true. But I'll tell you what I have (if I can't figure it out without telling)
– a paper like no magazine in England has ever been printed before. Consider
that this article costs more than all of your fine ornaments combined.
Let me say once and
for all: To men of good taste, sensible men, and men of piety, I hope this
magazine will commend itself with nothing but its own intrinsic trappings.
But if any of them
inform me how it can be improved, in consonance with my first project, the
favor will be happily acknowledged by, dear sir,
His affectionate
servant. [19]
I think it's worth
having a place in Arminian Magazine
The
account of the dying evildoers you sent me is extremely remarkable. I think
it's worth having a place in Arminian Magazine, and I hope it can be useful to
others
For James Currie
BATH, September 15, 1787.
MY DEAR BROTHER, -- The
account of the dying malefactors you have sent me is extremely remarkable. I
think it's worth having a place in Arminian Magazine, and I hope it can be
useful to others.
Your God is very pleased
with you using the strength he has, and does not send a war at his own expense.
Keep declaring the whole gospel and aspiring to all the promises. [See the
February 19, 1788, letter to him.] -- I am
Your affectionate brother. [20]
Arminian
Magazine Sermons
I have
already presented my opinion on this subject in one of the sermons of the
Arminian Magazine
To Samuel Wood
[October, 1790.]
DEAR BROTHER, -- I have already presented my
opinion on this subject in one of the sermons in the Arminian Magazine, and I
say again that although a father has no positive authority, he has a negative
one, that is, although a son is not obliged to marry whom his father wishes, he
should not marry whom he forbids, especially a daughter; and when a marriage
was contrary to the opinion and counsel of a religious and prudent father, I
seldom saw him happy. -- I am
Your affectionate brother. [21]
And
the same is insisted upon in one of the sermons in the Arminian Magazine
These
are the rules of the Great Minutes of the Conference—that "no Methodist
(much less a preacher) should marry a woman without the consent of her
parents"; and the same is insisted upon in one of the sermons in the
Arminian Magazine.
To Rebecca Ingram
DUBLIN, June 28, 1789.
MY DEAR BECKY, -- I will
tell you my thoughts without the slightest reservation. These are the rules of
the Great Minutes of the Conference — that 'no Methodist (let alone a preacher)
should marry a woman without the consent of her parents'; and the same is
insisted upon in one of the sermons in the Arminian Magazine. Therefore, I
cannot commend Mr. Brown for having said something to you on this subject
without your father's consent. [See the April 9 and July 5 letters to her.] But
I extremely approve of his current temperament and behavior. I commend your
resignation to God's will. Stay there! Beware of murmurs; beware of worries;
Beware of the sadness that death generates! I recommend you to the one who can
save you to the fullest; and I am, my dear Becky,
Your... [22]
Unequivocal answers to
these interesting questions, in Arminian Magazine
Your unequivocal answers to
these interesting questions in the Arminian Magazine will do, Reverend Sir
For
a Respectful Reader
LONDON, February 23, 1782.
To Mr. Wesley
February 23, 1782.
REVEREND LORD, -- I am,
like you, an Arminian. I know his religious principles well and have read most,
if not all, of his Works; and though I am not entirely in agreement with you in
all the articles of your creed, I have much respect for your character, great
reverence for your principles in general, and a complete affection for your
person. Depending on the recognized frankness of your disposition and your
uniform zeal for the truth, I expect your attention and answers to the
following questions:-
It is his desire that the
people called Methodists be or become a body entirely separate from the Church
Answer. No.
If not, when, and how
often, and where, I mean, in what description of Establishment teachers they
should attend
A. I advise them to go to
church.
More particularly, if the
fall, corruption, and natural impotence of man, his free and full redemption in
Christ Jesus through faith working by love, be taught and inculcated and
offered to the attention of all in the church of the parish where they reside,
they are, in their opinion, bound in conscience to listen, or that of their own
accord they may abstain
A. I don't think they are
bound by conscience to attend any particular church.
Or, if they are at liberty
to be absent, they have, that is, they have Christian privilege, censure this
gross doctrine, to condemn such professors, and boldly to declare them 'blind
leaders of the blind'
A. No; Not at all.
Finally. Whenever this
happens, is it due to prejudice or rational pity? Is it because of prejudice or
because of a Catholic spirit? Is it consistent with Christian charity? Is it
compatible with a state of justification? Or is it permissible in the high
habit of evangelical perfection?
A. I think it's a sin.
A RESPECTFUL READER.
I answered his questions in
a simple way, whether they were proposed willingly or unwillingly. [23]
The
books were Wesley's publications, including the Arminian Magazine
I
believe the books in Dublin were confusing enough; pis I doubt that Joseph
[Joseph Pilmoor was an assistant there. The books were Wesley's publications,
including the Arminian Magazine
To Thomas Rutherford
LONDON, February 23, 1783.
DEAR TOMMY, -- I'm glad you
wrote to Brother Blake [Robert Blake. See letters of February 9, 1783 and
December 24, 1784 (to Blake).] to enter the Ballyconnell Circuit. He wrote me a
very appropriate letter. If you can convince William West to make any concessions,
I'm willing to try you again. [West had been admitted to trial in 1782 and
appointed to Enniskillen. From there, he moved to Limerick at the next
conference.]
If Brother Moore and his
wife stayed a while in Dublin, I think the two sisters [Henry Moore had been
appointed to Londonderry; but when Andrew Blair moved to Cork, he went to
Dublin, where he had family business to establish. For 'the two sisters,' see letter
of July 4, 1781.] They will not fight among themselves. I hardly know which one
I love the most. Peace be with all your spirits! -- I am, dear Tommy,
Your affectionate friend
and brother. [24]
A larger one will be inserted in the Magazine
I appreciate your account of Jane Newland,
which I trust will be helpful to many. A short excerpt from it I'll probably
send you in a day or two. A larger one will be inserted in the Magazine
To
Thomas Rutherford
LONDON, December 24, 1789.
DEAR TOMMY, -- I thank you
for your report of Jane Newland, which I trust will be useful to many. A short
excerpt from it I'll probably send you in a day or two. A larger one will be
inserted in the Magazine. There is no great probability that your brother will
be so foolish as to print something on occasion. -- I am, with love to Sister
Rutherford, dear Tommy,
Your affectionate friend
and brother. [25]
Appeared in Arminian Magazine
'Some account of the death of Mr. John
Tregellas, of St. Agnes, in Cornwall,' who died April 28, 1784, at the age of
twenty-one, appeared in the Arminian Magazine
To Joseph Taylor
LIVBRPOOL, April 7, 1785.
DEAR JOSEPH, - I do not see
that I can in conscience employ Brother Thomas [Taylor] was the Assistant at
Gloucester, with Barnabas Thomas as his colleague. Thomas went to Oxfordshire
at the next Conference. See the letter of March 25.] as an itinerant preacher.
You don't know what I usually say: I wouldn't employ such an apostle if he
couldn't preach in the morning. And he cannot do that. Nor is it able, if it
wants to, to maintain a circuit on a regular basis. Be faithful to God and to
the people, and to your own soul! And keep an active and zealous man, Mr.
McGeary, [See letters of February 25, 1785 (addressed to John Stretton) and
February 20, 1787.] as long as you have him. Otherwise, a preacher is missing
from the Canterbury Circuit. I am grateful for the account of Brother Tregellas
['Some account of the death of Mr. John Tregellas, of St. Agnes, in Cornwall,'
who died April 28, 1784, aged twenty-one, appeared in the Arminian Magazine,
1786, pp. 149-50, signed 'Joseph Taylor, Gretton, April 2, 1785.']; and I am,
dear Joseph,
Your affectionate friend
and brother. [26]
Along with the upcoming Magazines, to York
We "win God on our side" with the
continual prayer of thousands. You can send me Cicero, Fabritius and the
American War, along with the next Magazines, to York
To
your brother Charles
ALNWICK, May 28, 1782.
DEAR BROTHER, -- The story
is this: When I was at Dawgreen, near Birstall, the trustees of Birstall
brought me a deed, which they read and asked me to sign. We discussed it for
about an hour. So I gave a positive answer that 'I wouldn't sign'; and, leaving
them abruptly, he went upstairs to my room.
About noon, I preached at
Horbury. In the evening I preached and met the Society at Wakefield. [He was at
Wakefield on April 10, 1780.] In the evening, just before I went to sleep, the
healers came again, turned around and left me worried. But I don't think they
can worry you. He cannot write very correctly to Mr. Valton–'If the trustees
will establish the Birstall house on the Methodist plan, I will sign their deed
with all my heart; but if they build a house for a Presbyterian meeting house,
I will not dare have any involvement with it.' I have never sent a letter of
power of attorney on such an occasion, nor have I written in any other form
than this: 'Your reception will be your discharge.' If the executor says, 'I
will not pay with such a receipt,' I will send a letter of power of attorney.
The beginning of Rodney's
account is totally old-fashioned. [News arrived in early May of Rodney's great
victory over the French Navy near the island of Dominica on April 12.] I wonder
how it got into his head. We "win God on our side" with the continual
prayer of thousands. You can send me Cicero, Fabritius and the American War,
along with the next Magazines, to York. I hope to be ten or twelve days in
Edinburgh and its environs, and about the 17th of June in Newcastle.
Peace be with you all!
Goodbye! [27]
Perhaps
very much in the method established in one of the Journals
For the
time being, his best aids will be prayer and
reading; perhaps very much in the method set forth in one of the Arminian
Magazines.
To your niece Sarah Wesley
CITY ROAD, November 15,
1780.
MY DEAR SALLY,-- A few
years ago, while you were in Bristol, you received a clear call from God; And
you have not been disobedient to the heavenly calling. But in a few months this
impression of happiness disappeared, I don't know how. It seems that God was
now calling you again. But you have many obstacles. This is just the dangerous
time of life. If you don't want to be almost the same Christian, you'll need a
lot of courage and patience. Then you can do everything through Christ
strengthening you.
You want an extremely pious
and sensible friend. I scarcely know any one who is suitable for you on your
side of town, except that open and noble creature, Nancy Sharland, 'in whom
there is no craftiness.' For now, your best aids will be prayer and reading;
perhaps very much in the method set out in one of the Magazines [The Arminian
Magazine.]. But you can't follow that without cutting, as it were, a right
hand—giving up on a trivial enterprise. Offering any help that is within my
reach will always be a pleasure
Your caring uncle. [28]
I have
already presented my opinion on this subject in one of the sermons of the
Arminian Magazine
I have
already presented my opinion on this subject in one of the sermons in the
Arminian Magazine, and I say again that although a father has no positive
authority, he has a negative one, that is, although a son is not obliged to
marry whomever his father wishes, he should not marry whom he forbids
To Samuel Wood
[October, 1790.]
DEAR BROTHER, -- I have already presented my
opinion on this subject in one of the sermons in the Arminian Magazine, and I
say again that although a father has no positive authority, he has a negative
one, that is, although a son is not obliged to marry whom his father wishes, he
should not marry whom he forbids, especially a daughter; and when a marriage
was contrary to the opinion and counsel of a religious and prudent father, I
seldom saw him happy. -- I am
Your affectionate brother. [29]
The verses deserve to be inserted in the
Arminian Magazine
Be careful to keep as accurate an account of
everything that happens as possible. The verses deserve to be inserted in the
Arminian Magazine. I would be happy to meet their author
For
James Macdonald
LONDON, January 18, 1791.
MY DEAR BROTHER, -- I am
glad to know that the work of God is so prosperous in Newry. Keep on seeking
Him by fasting, and you will see even greater things than these. Be careful to
keep as accurate an account of everything that happens as possible. The verses
deserve to be inserted in the Arminian Magazine. I would be happy to know their
author; but I hardly think she or you will see me in this world anymore. [See
letter of October 23, 1790.]
Your affectionate friend
and brother. [30]
Just like in the magazine
In the
minutes of the Conference, as well as in the magazine, there is a clear account
of everything that pertains to late ordination. [For America.]
To John Bredin
LONDON, November 16, 1785.
MY DEAR BROTHER, - I hope James Rogers will
strive on behalf of G. Penington and...; that you should send me a specific
report of the... I will give you ten pounds, and hope to get a little more in
London, and I advise Molly Penington [See letters of September 16, 1780, and
April 20, 1787.] to write to Miss Penington. March. I trust that God will... It
will be my responsibility to replace her books.
You must not expect much health [See letters
of November 30, 1781 and June 1, 1789 to him.] on this side the grave; it is
enough that His grace is sufficient for you. In the minutes of the Conference,
as well as in the magazine, there is a clear account of everything that
pertains to late ordination. [For America.] It is a miracle that the
members of the High Church are so silent; surely the ruler of God is in his
mouth. Whatever you think is suitable for the magazine, send it. You can
compose a lot on one sheet. - I'm
Your affectionate brother.
[On the letter-keeping page above appears the
following, in Wesley's handwriting:] [31]
Taking every opportunity to
recommend the Journal
You did well to recommend
the Hymnals, and you will do even better by taking every opportunity to
recommend the Magazine
For
Lancelot Harrison
LONDON, January 16, 1780.
MY DEAR BROTHER, - I
realize that many in your circuit do not know our Rules. You must read them
immediately in all Societies and not receive new members until he has read
them. Let everyone know what it's all about.
A Circuit Plan should
contain (1) the various Societies, (2) the number of members in each, (3) the
new members, (4) those in a position of retreat, (5) the people in the band.
Then, the conversions, deaths, marriages, removals, with the total number at the
end of each column. Let me have that plan next quarter. [See letter of February
16.]
You did well to recommend
the Hymnals, and you will do even better by taking every opportunity to
recommend the Magazine. [See letter of January 29.]
Be zealous! Be active!
Awaken the gift of God that is in you! - I'm
Your affectionate friend and brother. [32]
Don't forget the Magazine
You did a good job with the
Free Anthem. But in the meantime, don't forget the Magazine. Take every
opportunity to strongly recommend this, both in public and in private
LONDON, January 29, 1780.
DEAR BILLY, - You did a
good job with the Free Anthem. But in the meantime, don't forget the Magazine.
[See Jan. 16 letter to Lancelot Harrison.] Take every opportunity to strongly
recommend this, both in public and in private.
All we can do is not to
have smugglers in our Societies [See letter of March 21, 1784.]; and I think
Brother Condy will convince many of them of the advantage of being in the band.
[William Tunney (who gave up traveling in 1781) and Richard Condy were colleagues
in Cornwall East.]
O observe and pray that you
do not fall into temptation! - Yes, I am, dear Billy,
With affection. [33]
It can probably have a place in the magazine
I really like the passage from Mr. Bridaine's
Sermon. It can probably have a place in the magazine
LONDON,
February 21, 1786.
MY
DEAR BROTHER, - I am very fond of the passage from Mr. Bridaine's Sermon. It
can probably have a place in the magazine. It's good that you invaded
Stonhouse. Now expand your boundaries while I'm with you. You'll probably have
a worse time when I'm not. You can come to the Conference.
You
and your colleagues should take the time to discuss together how to extend your
boundaries. This mild climate is almost as good as that of summer; I preached
abroad last Monday. Oh, let's take advantage of all the means to save time!
Eternity is near! - I am, dear Adam,
Your
affectionate brother. [34]
I will order it to be
inserted in the magazine
I thank you for your
account of the death of Miss Helena. Corkle, which is highly remarkable. It
should not be hidden under a bushel; So I'm going to order it to be inserted in
the magazine.
For
Ms. Crosby
LAMBETH, November 13, 1788.
MY DEAR SISTER, -- I thank
you for your report of Miss Helena's death. Corkle, which is highly remarkable.
It should not be hidden under a bushel; So I'm going to order it to be inserted
in the magazine.
I had more pain (mostly
rheumatic) in these few months than I had in forty years before, and in
September my strength declined rapidly. But now God has pleased to restore it,
and I am almost as I was twenty years ago. Probably, if I live, I will see you in
Leeds in the summer. Peace be with all your spirits! -- I am, my dear sister,
His brother always
affectionate. [35]
I ask you
to send me a copy of these three letters about hops that I published in the
Bristol Gazette. I intend to print them both in Lloyd's Evening Post and in the
magazine.
I intend to print
them both in Lloyd's Evening Post and in the magazine
I ask you to send me
a copy of these three letters about hops that I published in the Bristol
Gazette. I intend to print them both in Lloyd's Evening Post and in the
magazine.
To Adam Clarke
LONDON, October 12,
1789.
MY DEAR BROTHER, -- I
took this by mistake, which I suppose is the key to your desk. I ask you to
send me a copy of these three letters about hops that I published in the
Bristol Gazette. I intend to print them both in Lloyd's Evening Post and in the
magazine. I'm better than worse since I came to London. So to-morrow I must
leave for Norfolk, whence I hope to return here in nine or ten days. Let's work
while the day is! -- I am, with much love to Sister Clarke, dear Adam. [36]
My time is short; So I post as much as I can
at once
My time is short; So I
publish as much as I can at once, if maybe I can live to finish it. All these
things I have maturely weighed
For Christopher Hopper
LONDON, October 18, 1777.
MY DEAR BROTHER,-- I
believe what you say about John Hilton [Benson says October 7 (Life
manuscript, i. 788): 'I wrote a very close letter to Mr. Hilton three weeks
ago; but I have had no reply. I wish our friendship wasn't over.' See letter of
August 6.] It's true; so I prevented the furious from throwing themselves at
him at the Conference.
There is no divine
visitation that is likely to have so general an influence on sinners as an
earthquake. The rich cannot protect themselves from this any more than the
poor. So I often thought that this would not be an unwanted event.
I run out of false colors.
Scriptural, Christian, etc., are all ambiguous words. I mean, a magazine that
he wrote purposely to defend Universal Redemption. Other magazines offer forty
pages for sixpence; That is eighty to one shilling. [See previous letter.] My
time is short; So I publish as much as I can at once, if maybe I can live to
finish it. All these things I have maturely weighed.
I have said several times
that there are important reasons why no preacher should be a healer. Flatterers
are broad on this issue. "I am
Your affectionate friend
and brother. [37]
How much do you, in recommending the Journal
Be a little careful too, both Brother
Shadford [George Shadford, his superintendent in Norwich.] and you, in recommending the Magazine. Stir her up for
my sake and the preachers;
To Samuel Bardsley
LONDON, January 30, 1780.
DEAR SAMMY, "I am glad
to know that your people love each other: then neither you nor you can hurt
them." They can make a movement and noise for a season; But it will only
be nine days of wonder. If you take up your cross and visit all the Societies,
whenever you have time, from house to house, your profits will appear to all
men; and no one will be able to oppose you. Be a little careful too, both
Brother Shadford [George Shadford, his superintendent in Norwich.] and you, in
recommending the Magazine. Stir her up for my sake and the preachers; And do
what you do, do it with your strength. - Yes, I am, dear Sammy,
With affection.
P.S.-Everywhere, exhort believers to expect
full salvation now by simple faith. [38]
You'll produce several new subscribers
There is a way to do this that is worth
putting in the effort; I mean, by recommending the magazines. If you tell them
in every society what you can say truthfully, and say it with an air of
sincerity, you will produce several new subscribers
To
Joseph Benson
LONDON, January 5, 1782.
DEAR JOSEPH, -- It is a
pleasure to know that you do not grow weary in doing good, but are diligent in
advancing the cause of religion. There is a way to do this that is worth
putting in the effort; I mean, by recommending the magazines. If you tell them
in every society what you can say truthfully, and say it with an air of
sincerity, you will produce several new subscribers. -- I am, dear Joseph,
Your affectionate friend
and brother. [39]
Benson's criticism (on 'Polygamy and
Marriage') was published in the magazine
Many have deduced, because I did not answer
Mr. Madan's book, that I had the same judgment as him. [Benson's criticism (on
'Polygamy and Marriage'] was published in the magazine
MACCLESFIELD, March 30,
1782.
DEAR LORD, -- Many have
inferred, because I did not answer Mr. Madan's book, that I had the same
judgment as him. [Benson's criticisms (on 'Polygamy and Marriage'] were
published in the magazine. See the letters of May 21, 1781 and February 22,
1782 addressed to him.] But it was for another reason — my lack of time. I'm
glad you provided my lack of service; and that you did it with temper, though
not with such compladezity, which is quite out of season for such an occasion.
I have read your remarks carefully and I believe they will satisfy any
impartial reader. I commend you and your efforts to the God of truth and love.
-- I am
Your affectionate friend
and brother.[40]
If you can
spread the magazines, you'll do well
To John
Valton
LONDON,
December 31, 1780,
MY DEAR
BROTHER,-- The third preacher has been added for just this purpose, to give him
the liberty to spend a little time wherever the work of God requires it [The
appointment in the Minutes is, 'John Valton, George Snowden'; in 1781 Alexander
M'Nab is the third preacher.] You have entirely omitted an article in the plan
(See letter of February 16th)—the new members: of these, I suppose, you will
give me an account in a moment, I doubt, but you can give me a good description
of all except—the rich members: perhaps of some of these also; for it is on
this particular occasion that our Lord says, 'With God all things are
possible.'--I am
Your
affectionate friend and brother.
If you can spread the
magazines, you'll do good. The letters contained therein contain the marrow of
Christianity.[41]
I can answer in my
monthly magazine
I was often attacked by the
Monthly Reviewers, but I did not respond because we were not on an equal
footing; but this difficulty is now over: anything they object to in their
Monthly Review I can answer in my monthly magazine; and I shall consider it my
duty to do so when the objection is of any importance
For
a friend
CITY ROAD, January 25,
1781.
DEAR SIR, -- Yesterday, as
I looked at the Monthly Review for last October, on page 307, I read the
following words:
Sir William's defence
[Lieutenant-General Sir William Howe criticised the Letters to a Nobleman of
Galloway and cast serious reflections on him. See Green's Bibliography, no.
352; and letters of June 8, 1780 and August 18, 1790.] (of her own conduct) is not
a feeble attempt to redeem her reputation from the obsession cast upon her. Mr.
Galloway's book is here answered paragraph by paragraph, and various
misrepresentations of important facts and circumstances are proved.
I can't totally agree with
that. I think (1) no unjust oblique was cast upon him; (2) that his vindication
is a very feeble attempt to justify his conduct; (3) that he did not answer
satisfactorily to any paragraph of Mr. Galloway's book; and (4) that he has not
proved any misrepresentation of any important fact or circumstance.
I also think that the
account he gives of Mr. Galloway is a very feeble attempt to tarnish his
character; for a full rebuttal, of which I refer the sincere reader to his own
answer. As to the calumny of which Sir William speaks, I do not see the
slightest trace of it in anything that Mr. G. has published. He is above that.
He is not a 'venal instrument of slander'; He abhors slander as well as detests
rebellion. But let him answer for himself; Read only the treatises mentioned
here, and if you can, condemn it. -- I am, dear sir,
Yours, &c.
PS. -- I was often attacked
by the Monthly Reviewers, but I did not answer because we were not on an equal
footing; but this difficulty is now over: anything they object to in their
Monthly Review I can answer in my monthly magazine; and I shall consider it my
duty to do so when the objection is of any importance. [42]
I believe
it will be published in one of the following magazines
And whatever they
agree is correct, I publish as soon as possible.
It seems to me that
the 'Address to the Watchman' can be of general use. I believe it will be
published in one of the following magazines.
To Captain Richard
Williams
LONDON, December 30,
1778.
MY DEAR BROTHER, -
January Magazine was full before yours arrived. Since I don't mind depending
only on myself, I usually submit every verse that is sent to me to the judgment
of my brother and the other preachers who are with me. And whatever they agree
is correct, I publish as soon as possible.
It seems to me that
the 'Address to the Watchman' can be of general use. I believe it will be
published in one of the following magazines. [The letter about Duels was
published in March. See Arminian Mag., 1779, pp. 146-8; and letters of
September 13, 1774 (to him) and February 25, 1783 (to Joseph Taylor).] I am
Your affectionate
brother.
To Capthin R.
Williams, Crarick, near Redruth. [43]
I really think it will be appropriate to
publish something in the magazine
I really think it will be appropriate to
publish something in the magazine about this idle popish vanity of 'Consecrated
Land'
For
Peard Dickinson
KEIGHLEY, April 29, 1788.
MY DEAR BROTHER, -- I
really think it will be appropriate to publish something in the magazine about
this idle Popish vanity of 'Consecrated Land.' The grounds of Bunhill Fields
are full and as well consecrated as that of the cemetery of St. Luke's Church.
[See letter of April 8.]
You should study all the
means of maintaining your friendship with Sammy Wesley. Both Charles and he are
in dire need of serious knowledge, whether they are men or women. You should
introduce our Betsy to Sally Wesley. They are kindred souls, and I think they
will soon get to know each other. If I survive until the Conference, I will
give her another acquaintance who will be close to her heart. Sister Showell
will also be a good acquaintance to her. But let her be careful with new
acquaintances.
I hope you found a little
house in our neighborhood. You both need a lot of prayer—peace be upon your
spirits! -- I am
Your affectionate friend
and brother. [44]
We agree that no politics will have a place
in the Arminian Review
You see how 'good reasoning
jumps.' We agree that no policy will have a place in the Arminian
Review. But poetry goes; Only my brother and I are the judges to decide
which pieces will be admitted.
To
Walter Churchey
LONDON,
October 18, 1777.
MY DEAR BROTHER,-- You see
how 'good reasoning skips.' We agree that no policy will have a place in the Arminian
Review. But poetry will; only my brother and I are the judges to decide
which pieces will be admitted. It may be that some think we are too good at
choosing; but that we cannot help. As for a review of religious books, it can
be good; but I have two objections: (1) I have scruples in my own sufficiency
for the work; (2) I would not be obliged to read all the current religious
productions of the press.
Peace be with you and
yours, young and old--I am
Your affectionate brother. [45]
I never intend to publish
your photo in the Magazine
All I can say, and all I
will say, is that I never intend to publish your picture in the Magazine
To your brother Charles
CORK, May 12, 1785.
DEAR BROTHER,—Twice I wrote
to Dr. Coke about the Journal. I suppose one, if not two, of his letters had
miscarriages. I will not condemn him until he answers for himself.
All I can say, and all I
will say, is that I do not intend to ever publish your photo in the Magazine.
In Dublin I was informed
that Mr. Barnard, the son of the present bishop, is dead. In the North maybe
I'll learn more. [See letter of May 2, 1785 to his brother.]
I speak of myself, as of
other men, with a single eye. I'm glad you were in Newgate. Everything we hear
in England about danger coming from Ireland is pure fabrication. We were
deceived by the patriots. There is no more danger coming from Ireland than from
the Isle of Man.
If Sally wants the sinews
of war, give me a hint. John Atlay didn't complain to me about the poverty over
this month,
I am fully convinced that
the measure of peace which enables me to continue cheerfully in my work, and to
employ all my time and strength in it, comes not from Satan, nor from nature,
but from God.
To save ten pence on letter
postage, I will write a few lines to Patty in your letter. Peace be with you
all!
Goodbye. [46]
I promise that I will not publish your
picture in the magazine until the middle of the summer of 1785
I promise that I will not publish your
picture in the magazine until the middle of the summer of 1785. I think that's
enough time to look forward
To his brother Carlos
ATHLONE, June 23. 1785.
DEAR BROTHER, - Surely you
have heard of me; for I sent one, and intended to send two Journals; only
George Whitfield [later his Book Administrator.] made a mistake and directed
the second to Henry Moore.
Several months ago, I wrote
to Dr. Coke about the passage he took from his Diary. I'll write to him again.
But he must bring it, not send it by mail. My letters today cost me eighteen
shillings.
I promise that I will not
publish your picture in the magazine until the middle of the summer of 1785. I
think that's enough time to look forward.
Mr. Barnard is dead. [Son
of the Bishop of Killaloe.] I know nothing about Miss Helena. Freeman. Ireland
is as quiet as England; and our Societies have never been as alive as they are
now. I can't believe this story.
If Sally is sick, why
doesn't she go to the countryside? Peace be with all your spirits!
Goodbye! [47]
Be serious
to spread the magazines
It would
be cruelty to the people if you had allowed him to continue as the leader of a
class. Be serious to spread the magazines
To Thomas Carlill
LONDON, January 12,
1784.
DEAR TOMMY, "It
is a pleasure for me to have such a good report from all your co-workers.
Follow in one spirit and one spirit, and your effort will not be in vain.
I received one or two
unusual letters from your wise friend in Lowth. It would be cruelty to the
people if you had allowed him to continue as the leader of a class. Be serious
about spreading the magazines. - Yes, I am, dear Tommy,
Your affectionate
friend and brother.
To Thomas Carlill, in
the Preacher's House,
In Great Grimsby, Lincolnshire. [48]
In my Diaries, in the
Magazine, in every possible way
In my Diaries, in the Magazine, in every
possible way, I have advised the Methodists to maintain the Church. Those who
do this the most thrive best in their souls
To
Joseph Taylor
LONDON, January 16, 1783.
DEAR JOSEPH, -- I am glad
to hear such a good report about Marazion. You should strive to rent a larger
room in Truro. [See the February 25 letter to him.] We will not build anything
else in a hurry. I often preach abroad in winter and summer.
In my Diaries, in the
Magazine, in every possible way, I have advised the Methodists to maintain the
Church. Those who do this most prosper best in their souls; I've been observing
this for a long time. If ever Methodists in general should leave the Church, I
must leave them. -- I am, dear Joseph,
Your affectionate friend
and brother.
In Manchester. [49]
I will not allow Thomas Olivers to kill the Arminian magazine any longer
I cannot, I dare not, I will not allow Thomas Olivers to kill the
Arminian magazine any longer. The errata are intolerable and countless. They
will no longer be like this
To Dr.
Bradshaw
PLYMOUTH DOCK, August 15, 1789.
DEAR LORD, -- I cannot, I dare not, I will
not allow Thomas Olivers to kill the Armnian magazine any longer. The errata
are intolerable and countless. They will no longer be like that. But he doesn't
have to go hungry. He has interest of about a hundred pounds a year. To which I
shall add thirty pounds a year quamdiu se bene gesserint. [The Act of
Settlement 1701 guaranteed the independence of the Judges, quamdiu se bene
gesserint ('provided they behave well']. Previously, they had been detained at
the King's will.] -- I am, dear sir,
His affectionate servant.
To the Rev. Dr. Bradshaw,
No. 137 Bishopsgate Street. [50]
And
in the magazine I apply for both
And in the magazine I apply
for both; especially, in fact, to the ignorant, because these are the much
larger number. And yet I keep my original points in mind, -- He died for all to
save them from all sin
To
Captain Richard Williams
LONDON, November 9, 1783.
MY DEAR BROTHER, -- I know
the talents God has lent me, and I dare not bury any of them in the earth. I am
indebted to the learned as well as to the uneducated. And in the magazine I
apply for both; especially, in fact, to the ignorant, because these are the
much larger number. And yet I keep my original points in mind, -- He died for
all to save you from all sin.
I think the lines about
Slavery will do well! [See the February 25 letters to Taylor and December 10.]
They are both sensible and poetic. -- I am, dear Richard,
Your affectionate brother.
To Captain Richa. Williams,
in Poldice,
Near Truro, Cornwall. [51]
You can pick up these three
volumes of Magazines
You can pick up these three
volumes of Magazines with the number that makes up the set. You can also have
the History of England and the Church
To
John Bredin
MANCHESTER, April 6, 1782.
MY DEAR BROTHER, -- It is
probable that I can hold a little conference in Dublin before the middle of
July. But you'll hear more before then. The four volumes of Sermons with the
Notes on the New Testament (small edition) are the best books for Mr. Haslett.
Any other book of ours you can give to him or to Mr. Dillon in my name. If Adam
Clarke [see letters of October 19, 1781 and July 9, 1782.] can come to London
at the Conference, I will send him directly to Kingswood. You can pick up these
three volumes of Magazines with the number that makes up the set. You can also
have the history of England and the Church.
John McKenny [John McKenny
(whose son was one of the first missionaries in Ceylon) was a friend and
classmate of Adam Clarke.] must make his choice. If he refrains from going to
that house, the infraction will be removed. But if he is, he excludes himself
from our Society. -- I am
Your affectionate friend
and brother. [52]
[1] Overview of Google's AI Mode
[2] Overview of Google's AI Mode
[3]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1780/
[4]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1780/
[5]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/
[6]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1777/
[7] Overview of Google's AI Mode
[8]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1788/
[9] Overview of Google's AI Mode
[10]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/
[11] Overview of Google's AI Mode
[12]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1788/
[13] Overview of Google's AI Mode
[14] Overview of Google's AI Mode
[15] Overview of Google's AI Mode
[16] Overview of google AI mode
[17] Overview of google AI mode
[18] Overview of Google's AI mode
[19]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1778/
[20]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1778/
[21]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/
[22]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/
[23]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1782/
[24]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1783/
[25]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/
[26]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1785/
[27]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1782/
[28]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1780/
[29]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/
[30]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1791/
[31]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1785/
[32]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1780b/
[33]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1780b/
[34]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1785/
[35]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1788/
[36]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/
[37]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1777/
[38]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1780/
[39]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1782/
[40]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1782/
[41]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1780/
[42]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-178q/
[43]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1778/
[44]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1788/
[45]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1777/
[46]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1785/
[47]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1785/
[48]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1784/
[49]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1783/
[50]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/
[51]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1783/
[52]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1782/
Comentários
Postar um comentário