Wesley's Teaching on the Practice of Fasting

 

Odilon Massolar Chaves

 

============================

  




 

Copyright © 2026, Odilon Massolar Chaves

All rights reserved to the author.

It is allowed to read, copy and share for free.

Article 184 of the Penal Code and Law 96710 of February 19, 1998.

Books published in the Wesleyan Digital Library: 850

Books published by the author: 890

Cover: https://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=m70P2Jq27Kk

Odilon Massolar Chaves is a retired Methodist pastor, with a doctorate in Theology and History from the Methodist University of São Paulo.

Son of Rev. Adherico Ribeiro Chaves and Roza Massolar Chaves.

He is married to RoseMary.

He has two daughters: Liliana and Luciana.

His thesis dealt with the Methodist revival in England in the eighteenth century and its contribution as a paradigm for our days.

 

===========================

 

 

Table of Contents

 

 

·       Introduction

·       The reasons for fasting

·       Have you scheduled a day of fasting and prayer?

·       After observing a day of fasting and prayer

·       When two or three agree to seek God through fasting and prayer

·       Appoint in America (as we do in England and Ireland) one or more general days of fasting and prayer

·       The Christian Duty of Fasting

·       Recommendation of fasting, both by precept and by example

·       Especially fasting, which is almost forgotten throughout this nation

·       God will hear the prayer that does not come out of false lips, especially when fasting is united to it

·       I agree with you that the best method to use in this requirement is fasting and prayer

·       They observe every Friday of the year as fasting or abstinence days.

·       Our fasting will have many positive effects

·        You may be more tempted than usual on fasting days

·       I mean fasting, that we almost forgot

·       After fulfilling a day of fasting and prayer

·       He advised them to keep a day of fasting and prayer. A flame erupted and spread throughout the circuit

·       But this type does not come out, but rather by prayer and fasting

·       Exhort all our brethren to wait upon God in the appointed means of prayer and fasting

·       When you seek God with fasting added to prayer, you cannot seek His face in vain

·       Many of our brothers and sisters have agreed to seek God today through fasting and prayer

·       They almost always neglect fasting

 

 

===========================

 

Introduction

 

 

"Wesley's Teaching on the Practice of Fasting" is a 31-page book based especially on Wesley's letters from which we took his statements and teachings and made a collection, which resulted in this book. We also use the "Wesley Sermons".

"The practice of fasting was one of the pillars of the spiritual discipline of early Methodism, being personally experienced and rigidly defended by John Wesley. For the early Methodists of the eighteenth century, fasting was not optional, but an essential means of grace for sanctification, self-control, and social solidarity.

Wesley saw the neglect of fasting as one of the main causes of the loss of spiritual power in the Church." [1]

Writing to Adam Clarke, February 12, 1785,

Wesley spoke of the "Christian duty of fasting" that was being neglected. [2]

Its meaning is "to afflict the soul" In Psalm 35:13 David says: "My garments were of sackcloth; I afflicted my soul with fasting, and in prayer I reclined on my breast."

The Lord also spoke to Moses, "But at the tenth of this seventh month shall be the day of atonement: ye shall have an holy convocation, and ye shall afflict your souls; you will bring an offering made by fire to the Lord" (Lev 23:27).

Wesley saw many positive results in the practice of fasting. Writing to John Valton, June 5, 1783. Wesley said, "I believe that our fasting will have many positive effects." [3]

The practice of fasting was encouraged. To the Itinerant preachers, Wesley wrote on August 4, 1769, and stated, "Let them seek God by solemn fasting and prayer." [4]

He used to ask, "Have you scheduled a day of fasting and prayer?" [5]

To Robert Carr Brackenbury, on November 24, 1785, Wesley stated, "God will hear the prayer that does not proceed from false lips, especially when fasting is united to it." [6]

Of what the fast day was like, Wesley wrote to Dr. Free on August 24, 1758: "On our 'fast days' we used no food but bread; The next day, we feed as on ordinary days." [7]

A somewhat neglected practice that needs to return in our days.

 

The Author

 

===========================

The reasons for fasting

 

"John Wesley based Methodist discipline on the practices of the Early Church and the Church of England, establishing a rigorous routine:

  • Wednesdays and Fridays: Methodists fasted twice a week, following the tradition of the early Christians.
  • Regular Schedule: The fast usually began the night before and lasted until 3 p.m . (the biblical "ninth hour").
  • Types of Fasting: Both complete fasting (total abstention from food and drink, except water) and abstinence (avoiding fine foods or meats, consuming only very simple meals) were practiced."[8] 

Based on "Wesley's Sermons", volume II, between pages 17 and 36, Wesley provided guidance on the fundamentals of fasting. He talks about at least five reasons:

1 - "To him who is under deep affliction, overwhelmed by the sorrow of sin and the most alarming expectation of the wrath of God."

Saul fasted for a whole day and still did something wrong by consulting the medium. Then the text says: "... strength was lacking, because he had not eaten bread all that day and all that night" (1 Sam 28:20).

 During the shipwreck of the ship in which Paul led them: "Paul begged all to eat, saying, 'Today is the fourteenth day, when you are waiting and you are without food, having tasted nothing. I beseech you to eat something; for your safety depends on it; for none of you will lose a hair. And when he had said this, he took a loaf of bread, and thanked God in the presence of all, and when he had broken it, he began to eat" (Acts 27:33-35).

During this kind of fasting, says Wesley, people "tremble, waver, are inwardly touched with brokenness of heart, and can accuse none but themselves: they discover their grief before the Almighty God, and ask Him for mercy."

2 - "To supply the food of lust and sensuality, to ward off incitement to mad and dangerous desires, base and futile affections."

This fast is for people who have been led to the practice of sin: abuse of unlawful things; overeating; lack of temperance and sobriety; mad excitement of the intellect and inattention to things of the deepest reach.

 Those who have had these practices seek to deprive themselves of what leads them to perdition.

3 - "For a pious vengeance on himself"

This fast is for the one who realizes that the flesh is taking over in his life. You realize that they are always doing something wrong. So, he seeks revenge on the soul with fasts. It afflicts the soul, it punishes the soul.

 Wesley remembers that David and Paul acted like this at a certain point in their lives. But Wesley also says that we should not attach too much importance to this fast.

4 - "The most powerful reason for the observance of fasting is that it was an aid to prayer." God rejoices to raise the souls of his male and female servants above all things on earth, and sometimes to the third heaven.

This fasting, says Wesley, confirms and increases the "earnestness of the spirit; penetration, sensitivity and delicacy of conscience; indifference to the world and, consequently, the love of God."

Wesley also says that God has chosen fasting so that by this means the wrath of God may be withdrawn and thus we may obtain blessings.

Wesley cites several examples of blessings that came after fasting: Ahab humbled himself and the Lord did not bring evil into his days (1 Kings 21:25-29); it was for this purpose that Daniel fasted to soften God's wrath and receive His blessings (Dan. 9:3-16).

The same happened with the king of Nineveh: "The Ninevites believed in God; and they proclaimed a fast, and clothed themselves in sackcloth, from the greatest to the least" (Jon 3:5).

Wesley says that "fasting is a means, not only of appeasing the wrath of God, but of attracting also any blessing we need."

He quotes God's people fighting Benjamin: "... they came to Bethel, and wept, and stood there before the Lord, and fasted that day until evening; and before the Lord they offered burnt offerings and peace offerings" (Judges 20:26).

The People of God were involved with idols, so even the ark of the Lord had been stolen. They came to their senses and "fasted that day, and there they said, 'We have sinned against the Lord'" (1 Sam. 7:6). They were victorious (1 Sam. 7:10).

Ezra proclaimed "a fast by the river Ahava, to humble ourselves before our God, to ask for a happy journey for ourselves... (Ezra 8:21).

The early church fasted for the choice of the apostles (Acts 13:1-3). Jesus goes so far as to say that: "This kind of demons does not cast itself out except by force of prayer and fasting" (Mt 18:19-20).

Wesley completes by saying that not only temporal blessings come through fasting, but also the great gospel promise of the outpouring of the Spirit.

 In Wesley's various letters we find his statements and guidelines on fasting:

 

Have you scheduled a day of fasting and prayer?

 

Raise the hands that hang down; by faith and prayer, support the tottering knee; Rebuke, encourage. Have you scheduled a day of fasting and prayer? Invade the throne of grace, and persevere in it, and mercy shall descend

 

For Ms. Bennis

LONDON, March 1, 1774.

MY DEAR SISTER.--Elizabeth Harper was also often in the clouds; and in this case, it is the best way to stand still: you can do nothing but simply tell all your desires to the One who is able and willing to supply them.

I attach James Perfect's letter, on purpose so you can talk to him. He has both an honest heart and a good understanding; But you are completely mistaken in his doctrine. He preaches salvation by faith in the same way that my brother and I did, and as Mr. Fletcher (one of the best writers of the day) beautifully explained. None of us talk about being accepted for our jobs; that is, Calvinist calumny. But we all hold that we are not saved without works, that works are a condition (though not the meritorious cause) of final salvation. It is by faith in the righteousness and blood of Christ that we are enabled to perform all good works; and it is because of these that all who fear God and do justice are accepted by Him.

It is far better for our people not to listen to Mr. Hawksworth. Calvinism will not do them any good. For the rest, I refer my precinct to Mr. M'Donald, with whom I would like you to have a conversation. Don't be discouraged: I truly believe that God will visit poor Waterford with love. You can continue. Raise the hands that hang down; by faith and prayer, support the tottering knee; Rebuke, encourage. Have you scheduled a day of fasting and prayer? Invade the throne of grace, and persevere in it, and mercy shall descend.--I am, my dear sister, Your affectionate brother. [9]

 

After observing a day of fasting and prayer

 

After observing a day of fasting and prayer, I knew the most violent convulsions calmed at once. But, without doubt, all probable means must be used

 

To Robert Cart Brackenbury

BRISTOL, September 24, 1785.

DEAR LORD, - It is good that the Lord sits above the floods and remains King forever. No wonder Satan fights for his own kingdom when such advances are made upon him. But

Beyond his chain, he cannot go;

Our Jesus will awaken His power

And soon he will avenge us on our enemy.

After observing a day of fasting and prayer, I knew the most violent convulsions calmed at once. But, without a doubt, all probable means must be used. One in particular that might be worth trying – namely, to soften the spirit of that angry magistrate. [See letter of November 24.] God has the hearts of all men in His hand; and if the heart of this warrior was already transformed, then those who had hitherto been encouraged by him would vanish like smoke. It is not unlikely, but his response to this scandalous slander may be a means of mitigating his prejudice. - It is I, dear sir,

Your very affectionate friend and brother. [10]

 

When two or three agree to seek God through fasting and prayer

 

When two or three agree to seek God through fasting and prayer, it cannot be that their work is in vain; especially if they add their efforts to prayers for the increase of God's work

 

For Ms. Bennis

BRISTOL, September 10, 1773.

MY DEAR SISTER,-- When two or three agree to seek God through fasting and prayer, it cannot be that their labor is in vain; especially if they add their efforts to prayers for the increase of God's work. I hope they will encourage every preacher to visit the whole Society in order, from house to house: dinner or tea does not answer the same intention. This can and should be done beyond what is necessary.

I thought you were more at risk of being hurt by worldly abundance than by worldly care. But we cannot stay under one or the other unless we are endowed with power from above, and that continually from hour to hour, or rather from moment to moment. However, suffering is not sin; We can be grieving and yet resigned. And that's acceptable with God. In all these cases, you must remember that this observation should never escape,--

With a firm mind, his duty followed:

God does nothing, not even surfers to be done,

But you'd do it yourself, if you could see

The end of all events, just like Him!

[See letter of July 18].

"My dear sister, farewell. Your affectionate brother. [11]

 

Appoint in America (as we do in England and Ireland) one or more general days of fasting and prayer

 

Shouldn't you appoint in America (as we do in England and Ireland) one or more general days of fasting and prayer

 

To Thomas Rankin

CLONMAIN, NEAR ARMAGH, JUNE 13, 1775.

DEAR TOMMY,--I am afraid that our correspondence for the future will be more uncertain than ever, since the sword has been drawn; and it is better that they have not thrown away the hem on either side. What will be the end of these things, whether in Europe or America? There seems to be great confusion and suffering, as if neither we nor our parents knew about it. But it is enough that everything be in glory to God, peace and good will among men.

I'm sorry for poor T--- R---. I hoped that God had completely healed his setback, and lifted his head so that he would not fall any more. But the case is not yet hopeless; You should not in any way give it away. Rarely have I met a habitual drunkard finally recover before he has relapsed more than once or twice. Your point is: first save him from the occasions of sin, then urge him not to take away hope. Nothing but that, the desperation to conquer, can utterly destroy him. As long as he retains the faintest hope, he will fight against sin.

My brother wrote to me saying that he had received a copy of the tract you wrote. Something like this can be very suitable. Never has America had such a great call to repentance. For unless the general reformation prevents general destruction, that scene will soon be opened in Ruin and desolation will soon spread over the land and the houses of beauty will be turned into heaps of ruins. But what are these strange phenomena you talk about? Send me a report of everything you can trust.

Should you not appoint in America (as we do in England and Ireland) one or more general days of fasting and prayer—I am, dear Tommy,

Your affectionate friend and brother. [12]

 

The Christian Duty of Fasting

 

I am glad to know that the Lord's work prospers so much in your hands. So it will be as long as you do not hesitate to declare the whole counsel of God. There is one part of it which seems to be almost forgotten by Methodists in all three kingdoms—namely, the Christian duty of fasting

 

To Adam Clarke

LONDON, February 12, 1785.

DEAR ADAM, - I do not remember seeing that letter from Norwich, otherwise I would certainly have replied. If you build in St. Austell, be careful not to make the house too small. And take note of the guidelines that are given in the Great Proceedings of the Conference.

I am glad to know that the Lord's work prospers so much in your hands. So it will be as long as you do not hesitate to declare the whole counsel of God. There is one part of it which seems to be almost forgotten by the Methodists in all three kingdoms—namely, the Christian duty of fasting; and yet our Lord attaches a peculiar promise even to the secret fast: 'The Father that boileth in secret, He shall reward thee openly.' You can begin to recommend this by reading the sermon on fasting to the whole society. [See Works, v. 344-60.] The blessing would soon come. - I am, dear Adam,

With affection. [13]

 

Recommendation of fasting, both by precept and by example

 

MY DEAR BROTHER,-You do well to insist on full and present salvation, whether men will listen or abstain; as well as in preaching abroad, when time permits, and in the recommendation of fasting, both by precept and by example

 

To Adam Clarke

LONDON, February 3, 1786.

MY DEAR BROTHER,-You do well to insist on full and present salvation, whether men will listen or abstain; as well as in preaching abroad, when time permits, and in the recommendation of fasting, both by precept and by example. But it need not be surprised that all these are rejected not only by Formalists, but by Methodists. [Clarke was the second preacher in Plymouth.] You must not forget French [See letter of February 21.] or anything you have learned. I don't know if I've read the book you're talking about; You can send your translation whenever you want. Be honest, and you will see greater things than these. - I am, my dear Adam,

Your affectionate brother. [14]

 

Especially fasting, which is almost forgotten throughout this nation

 

I suppose they refer to those who condemn unnecessary self-indulgence, and recommend the means of grace, especially fasting, which is almost forgotten throughout this nation. I think it would be helpful if you wrote it down without delay and explained yourself broadly

 

ATHXONE. August 8, 1752.

DEAR BROTHER, -- I am almost surprised that I have not heard a word from you since the trial at Gloucester. Either Mr. I'Anson or someone else should have written it up to the next post. Do they all forget me as soon as we have the sea between us

Some of our preachers here have stated peremptorily that you are not as strict as I am; that you do not practice, enforce or approve of the Band Rules. I suppose they refer to those who condemn unnecessary self-indulgence, and recommend the means of grace, especially fasting, which is almost forgotten throughout this nation. I think it would be helpful if you wrote it down without delay and explained yourself broadly.

They also openly stated that you agree with Mr. Whitefield, mentioning at least Perseverance, if not Predestination as well. Isn't it very convenient for you to write explicitly and firmly about this topic as well?

Perhaps the occasion of this last statement was that both you and I often conceded an absolute and unconditional election of a few, together with a conditional election of all men. I have leaned into this scheme for many years; but lately I have doubted this more and more: (1) because all the texts which I used to think supported, I now believe prove more or less either absolute reprobation and election, or neither; (2) because I consider this opinion to serve all the evil purposes of absolute predestination, particularly that of supposing infallible perseverance. Talk to anyone who has it, and you'll find it.

Next Friday and Saturday we have our little Conference in Limerick.

I hope my sister feels in good hands, and that you can trust Him with her and all things. [Charles Wesley's first son, named John after his brother, was born on August 21 and died of smallpox on January 7, 1754.] We unite in love. [15]

 

God will hear the prayer that does not come out of false lips, especially when fasting is united to it

 

God will hear the prayer that does not come out of false lips, especially when fasting is united to it. And as long as our brethren continue instantly in prayer, the beasts of the people will no longer lift up their heads

 

To Robert Carr Brackenbury

LONDON, November 24, 1785.

DEAR LORD, - God will hear the prayer that does not come out of false lips, especially when fasting is united to it. And as long as our brethren instantly continue in prayer, the beasts of the people will no longer lift up their heads. [See the letters of September 24, 1785 and January 18, 1786 to him.] The work of God is still growing in Ireland and in various parts of this kingdom. I commend you and all our brethren to Him who can preserve them from all evil and build them up in love; And I am, dear sir,

Your affectionate friend and brother. [16]

 

I agree with you that the best method to use in this requirement is fasting and prayer

 

Considering that the god of this world will not cease to fight when his kingdom is in danger, I am not surprised that persecution comes to Jersey and Guernsey. I agree with you that the best method to use in this requirement is fasting and prayer.

To Robert Carr Brackenbury

LONDON, December 17, 1787.

DEAR LORD, -- Considering that the god of this world will not cease to fight when his kingdom is in danger, I am not surprised that persecution comes to Jersey and Guernsey. [See letter of December 8.] I agree with you that the best method to use in this requirement is fasting and prayer. It is clear that his efforts in these places were not in vain. And I'm hopeful that Guernsey will overtake Jersey.

Wishing you all every possible blessing, I, dear sir,

Your affectionate friend and brother. [17]

 

They observe every Friday of the year as fasting or abstinence days.

 

4. They pray together at nine and then retire to their chambers; So that everyone is in bed before ten.

5. They observe every Friday of the year as days of fasting or abstinence 

 

For Ms. Ryan

NEWBURY, November 8, 1757.

MY DEAR SISTER, -- In the rush of business, I didn't have time to write down what you wanted -- our family rules. So I take a few minutes to do that now, and more happily because I know you're going to watch them.

1. The family gets up, leaves at four, leaves half an hour later.

2. They eat breakfast at seven, dine at twelve, and dine at six.

3. They spend the hour, from five to six in the afternoon (after a short joint prayer), in private.

4. They pray together at nine o'clock, and then retire to their chambers; So that everyone is in bed before ten.

5. They observe every Friday of the year as days of fasting or abstinence.

You, in particular, I advise, -- Do not tolerate naughty visitors, no useless talk in the house. It is a city situated on a hill; and all that is in it must be 'holiness to the Lord.'

What top you stand on! You are in the eye of the whole world, friends and foes alike. You have no experience in these things, you do not know the people, you have no advantages of education, you have no great natural abilities, and you are only a novice, as it were, in the ways of God! It requires all of God's omnipotent love to preserve him in his present position. Stand firm in the Lord and in the power of His might! Show that nothing is too hard for Him. Take to yourself the whole armor of God, and do and suffer all things for Christ strengthening you. If you keep learning and recommending, I don't know that it can hurt you.

Your affectionate brother. [18]

 

Our fasting will have many positive effects

 

I believe that our fasting will bring many positive effects. Many have found reasons to bless God because of this

 

To John Valton

LONDON, June 5, 1783.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- What Birstall's assistants (even Thomas Taylor [Taylor was assistant at Bitstall in 1778]) have done these seven years

I believe that our fasting will bring many positive effects. Many have found reasons to bless God because of this.

Sister Rogers [Mrs. Rogers died in 1784. Her husband married Hester Ann Roe in the same year. See the letter of May 5, 1784.] It's a jewel of a woman. She has all the spirit of her husband and desires nothing more than to do and suffer the will of God.

These trustees [In Birstall. See letter of November 9, 1782.] they are wonderfully reckless. Are they afraid that their children will think the same way they do? I would not leave a preaching house for my executioners all over the world. However, do what you think is best.

Your affectionate friend and brother.

But your life! I want your life. [See the letter of January 18, 1782, where Wesley acknowledges receipt of the first part of the autobiography.] [19]

 

You may be more tempted than usual on fasting days

 

Never fail to accomplish a task just because you are tempted. You may be more tempted than usual on fasting days; And yet you can receive a blessing for it

 

To Henry Brooke

LONDON, March 1, 1762.

MY DEAR BROTHER,--I'm glad to hear that you're still in the right way. Never fail to accomplish a task just because you are tempted. You may be more tempted than usual on fasting days; And yet you can receive a blessing for it. I hope to be in Dublin or Cork around the end of this month. Since I've been in London, I haven't heard anything about Tommy Bethel. [The Diary of October 15, 1785 has: '1 dinner, conversation, prayer, Mr. Bethell.'] I believe the letters were delivered safely.--I am your affectionate brother. [20]

 

I mean fasting, that we almost forgot

 

Now encourage all believers to come together in a band and to observe the rules of the band exactly. In one thing, Dr. Hunt and his people embarrass us; I mean fasting, which we almost forgot! Let's start again!

 

For Jonathan Coussins

LONDON, February 25, 1785.

MY DEAR BROTHER, - The Lord will work; And who can prevent it? But we, against hope, believe in hope and walk in all the paths that He designates, whether we see present fruits or not. Now encourage all believers to come together in a band and to observe the rules of the band exactly. In one thing, Dr. Hunt and his people embarrass us; I mean fasting, which we almost forgot! Let's start again! - Yes, I am, with love for Sister Coussins,

Your affectionate friend and brother.

To Mr. Coussins, in the preaching house,

In Norwich. [21]

 

After fulfilling a day of fasting and prayer

 

But as we are still at the beginning of the year, I do not advise you to start until you have signed two hundred pounds. Try first what you can do in Kent and Norwich, after fulfilling a day of fasting and prayer

 

To Zacharias Yewdell

LONDON, February 25, 1785.

MY DEAR BROTHER, - I am glad to know that the work of God continues in Sheerness, [Sheerness appears in the minutes of 1785 as one of the houses to be built in that year. Compare letter of March 21, 1784.] and that there is such a noble spirit among the people in regard to building. But as we are still at the beginning of the year, I do not advise you to start until you have signed two hundred pounds. Try first what you can do in Kent and Norwich, after fulfilling a day of fasting and prayer. -I am[22]

 

He advised them to keep a day of fasting and prayer. A flame erupted and spread throughout the circuit

 

Many years ago, Barnard's Castle Society, as large as Derry's, was remarkably dead. When Samuel Meggot (now with God) came to them, he advised them to keep a day of fasting and prayer. A flame erupted and spread throughout the circuit

 

For John Cricket

LONDON, February 10, 1783.

Many years ago, Barnard's Castle Society, as large as Derry's, was remarkably dead. When Samuel Meggot (now with God) came to them, he advised them to keep a day of fasting and prayer. A flame erupted and spread throughout the circuit [In 1763. See his account in the Journal, v. I7-19; and letter of July 30, 1775.]; nor is it extinct to this day.

I advise you to do the same in Derry. On Sunday morning, strongly rebuke their infidelity and infertility, and wish that all who fear God will humble themselves with fasting on the following Friday. I am very inclined to hope that a flame will also be lit in Londonderry.

But you must immediately resume the form of a Methodist Society. I categorically forbid you or any preacher to be a leader; Instead, put the most insignificant person in each class to be their leader. And try, if you can't convince three men, if not more, and three women to meet in the band.

I wait until the end! You will see better days. -- I am

With affection.

PS.--The clearer you speak, the more good you will do. Derry can speak frankly. I'm as good as I was forty years ago. [23]

 

But this type does not come out, but rather by prayer and fasting

 

'The devil is a liar. God loves you. Christ loves you. He will help you. Look up, and He will help you now.' Then wrestle with Him in prayer for her. Faith will prevail. [There is] the same medicine and no other for the [person] you speak of. But this type does not come out, but rather by prayer and fasting.

To Mr. -------

TAUNTON, August 29, 1774.

MY DEAR BROTHER,-- Most likely Mr. Bentley went abroad. If so, we shall hear of it among our Societies in America. His sister was supposed to take good care of her belongings until she heard from him again. To Mrs. Pim you must speak strong words of consolation. Don't try to reason with her; but tell her directly, 'The devil is a liar. God loves you. Christ loves you. He will help you. Look up, and He will help you now.' Then wrestle with Him in prayer for her. Faith will prevail. [There is] the same medicine and no other for the [person] you speak of. But this type does not come out, but rather by prayer and fasting.

You'd better spend time with me,

Eternal providence, overcoming thought,

When it doesn't appear, a path can be opened.

Sometimes this drowsiness is not natural, but diabolical; in this case, it is usually taken out in an instant. When it's natural, cold shower is helpful.--I'm

Your affectionate brother. [24]

 

Exhort all our brethren to wait upon God in the appointed means of prayer and fasting

 

Exhort all our brethren to wait upon God in the appointed means of prayer and fasting. The latter was almost universally neglected by the Methodists in both England and Ireland. But it is a true observation of Kempis: 'The more you deny yourself, the more you will grow in grace.'

 

For James Macdonald

LONDON, October 23, 1790.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- You have great reason to praise God for the late and glorious work in and around Newry. And I have no doubt that it will continue, yes, and will increase, if the subjects continue to walk humbly and closely with God. Exhort all our brethren to wait upon God in the appointed means of prayer and fasting. The last one almost was. universally neglected by the Methodists in both England and Ireland. But it is a true observation of Kempis: 'The more you deny yourself, the more you will grow in grace.' -- I am

Your affectionate friend and brother. [25]

 

When you seek God with fasting added to prayer, you cannot seek His face in vain

 

When you seek God with fasting added to prayer, you cannot seek His face in vain. This was exceedingly blessed in many parts, and the revival of God's work began just at the time. You would do well to hold several meetings of this type, in addition to frequent meetings for prayer.

 

To George Cussons

LONDON, November 18, 1768.

MY DEAR BROTHER,-- When you seek God with fasting added to prayer, you cannot seek His face in vain. This was exceedingly blessed in many parts, and the revival of God's work began just at the time. You would do well to hold several meetings of this type, in addition to frequent meetings for prayer. No doubt the visits made by Dr. Conyers, Mr. Venn, and Mr. King [John King, Dean of Pertonhall, Beds (1752-1800), Cowper's schoolmate. See Diary, v. 61, 63n.] there were so many answers to prayers; and He will not withhold anything good from you.

It is by continual patience in doing well, using all the grace that has ever been given you, that you should seek the whole gift of God, the total renewal of your soul, the full deliverance from sin. And don't think too far: that's the voice of disbelief. He is near to the one who sanctifies: he just believes, and feel Him near. This is what you must continually insist on, the nearness of the promise. And indeed, if it be received by naked faith, it may be received now.-- I am, dear George,

Your affectionate brother. [26]

 

Many of our brothers and sisters have agreed to seek God today through fasting and prayer

 

Many of our brothers and sisters have agreed to seek God today through fasting and prayer. Around twelve o'clock my fever began to worsen. At two o'clock I dozed off for a while, and suddenly woke up with a disturbance as intense (only more violent) than on Monday. The silver cord seemed to be loosening at that moment, and the wheel breaking in the cistern

 

To your brother Charles

BRISTOL, November 7, 1741.

Wednesday, 4. -- Many of our brothers and sisters have agreed to seek God today through fasting and prayer. Around twelve o'clock my fever began to worsen. At two o'clock I dozed off for a while, and suddenly woke up with a disturbance as intense (only more violent) than on Monday. The silver cord seemed to be loosening at that moment, and the wheel breaking in the cistern. The blood swirled from side to side, as if it was going to immediately force its way through all its vessels, especially in the chest, and the excessive burning heat dried out my whole body, both inside and out. Around three, in a moment the commotion ceased, the heat passed and the pain disappeared. Soon after, he made another attack, but not as violent as the first. This lasted until half past four, and then disappeared immediately. I got better and better until I was nine years old; then I fell asleep and barely woke up until morning (...).[27]

 

They almost always neglect fasting

 

They almost always neglect fasting.

The preaching houses are miserable, even the new ones. They have neither light nor air enough; And they're too low and too small. Look at the Yarm house

 

To Thomas Rankin

ST. JOHN'S, September 11, 1765.

DEAR TOMMY,-- There is good work in Cornwall. But where the big work happens, well, we must take care to be exact in the little things.

I'll tell you several of these as soon as they come to my mind. Grace Paddy, in Redruth, met in the selected society, although she wore a large sparkly necklace and did not know any rings.

They sing all over Cornwall, a melody so full of repetitions and flourishes that it can hardly be sung with devotion. It is to these words: Praise the Lord, blessed ones. You can leave! Listen no more.

They can't sing our old ordinary melodies. Teach these everywhere. Be careful here.

Societies do not receive half as many books; not even with the Letters of Jane Cooper, or the two or three Sermons I printed last year; No, not with the hymnn—Book or Primitive Physics.

They almost always neglect fasting.

The preaching houses are miserable, even the new ones. They have neither light nor air enough; And they're too low and too small. Look at the Yarm house.

I recommend the Notes on the Old Testament with great sincerity. Every Society, as a Society, must sign. Remind them everywhere that two, four, or six can get together for a copy and take the money to the leader weekly.

We need to use all the common sense God has given us, as well as all grace.--I am, dear Tommy, your affectionate friend and brother.[28]

 

 



[1] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[2] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1769/

[3] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1785/

[4] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1769/

[5] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1774/

[6] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1785/

[7] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1758/

[8] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[9] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1774/

[10] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1785

[11] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1773/

[12] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[13] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1785/

[14] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1786/

[15] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1752/

[16] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1785

[17] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1787/

[18] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1757/

[19] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1783/

[20] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1762/

[21] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1785/

[22] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1785/

[23] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1783/

[24] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1774/

[25] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/

[26] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1768/

[27] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1741/

[28] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1765/

Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas deste blog