The Power of Perfect Love According to Wesley

 

Odilon Massolar Chaves


 ============================

  




Copyright © 2026, Odilon Massolar Chaves

All rights reserved to the author.

It is allowed to read, copy and share for free.

Article 184 of the Penal Code and Law 96710 of February 19, 1998.

Books published in the Wesleyan Digital Library: 845

Books published by the author: 885

Cover: 35158f26-3fcf-45be-889f-f7a0fa14ed04 - Youtube

Odilon Massolar Chaves is a retired Methodist pastor, with a doctorate in Theology and History from the Methodist University of São Paulo.

Son of Rev. Adherico Ribeiro Chaves and Roza Massolar Chaves.

He is married to RoseMary.

He has two daughters: Liliana and Luciana.

His thesis dealt with the Methodist revival in England in the eighteenth century and its contribution as a paradigm for our days.

 

 ============================

"To state this a little more particularly: we mean by this Scriptural expression, 'a perfect man,' one in whom God has fulfilled His faithful word—'From all your filthiness and from all your idols I will cleanse you. I'll save you from all your filth too.' We understand here the one whom God sanctified for all time, even in 'body, soul, and spirit'; he who "walks in the light, as He is in the light," in whom "there is no darkness; the blood of Jesus Christ His Son,' having cleansed "from all sin."[1] [2]

 

(John Wesley)

 

 ============================

 

Table of Contents

 

·       Introduction

·       Encourage them to expect perfect love for simple faith

·      May patience make its work perfect, and you will be perfect and whole, lacking nothing

·       Searching for perfect love

·       I trust that you're still on the border of perfect love

·       Proofs of your love

·       A Means of Keeping God's Pure Love

·       Love is stronger than prudence

·       Family of love

·       You want just that point, baby

·       He loves you freely

·       Until he is happy, holy, and perfect in love

·       Happy to find that your love doesn't grow cold

·       Consistent with pure love

·       Live, walk with love

·       Spread the fire of love wherever their destiny was cast

·       Now let your heart flow with love

·       The love of our neighbor, which really flows from the love of God

·       Many wanderings too, and many deficiencies, are consistent with pure love

·       We don't need to lose any degree of that light and love

·       Who once enjoyed and lost the pure love of God

·       Sanctification, pure love reigning in the heart and in the life

·       Urge them to maintain love for both the Church and their brethren

·       But it's nothing compared to love

·       The perfect love

·       You keep your love and your integrity even among the noises

·       Show him that his behaviors were contrary to reason and brotherly love

·       Pure love that transforms the earth into paradise

·       But you shouldn't expect to be so and so convinced to be renewed in love

·       A soul full of love

·       He then gave her a taste of forgiving love

·       May the One who loves you fill you with His pure love

·       How soon your heart will be all love

·       And is it not the Lord's will that you should receive daily a new increase of love?

·       And wait for all the residue of the promises He has given you to prove His pure love

·       A calm and peaceful love

·       Until he is happy, holy, and perfect in love

·       To be perfected in love is to be filled with the Holy Spirit

·       Our Lord's usual method is to purify us with joy in the Holy Spirit and full awareness of His love   

 

============================

 

Introduction

 

"The Power of Perfect Love According to Wesley" is a 54-page book based on Wesley's letters from which we take a collection of affirmations, observations and guidelines about love resulting in this study.

"According to John Wesley, the power of perfect love is the essence of Christian perfection or entire sanctification. He taught that it is the state where the believer is thoroughly cleansed from pride, anger, and selfishness, his heart being taken entirely by a pure love of God and neighbor, which governs all thoughts, words, and actions."[3]

To Joseph Benson, on October 5, 1770, Wesley explained, "Holiness is the love of God." [4] 

"Wesley taught the doctrine of 'perfect love' or Christian perfection, believing that the Holy Spirit can fill a believer's heart to the point of governing all his thoughts, words, and actions." [5] 

To Alexander Coates, on July 7, 1761, Wesley said, "The perfection I teach is perfect love: to love God with all your heart; receiving Christ as Prophet, Father, and King, to reign alone over all our thoughts, words, and actions."[6]

Wesley "believed that when the heart is wholly filled with love of God and neighbor, there is no room left for the dominion of hatred, pride, or selfishness." [7] 

Writing to Mrs. Bennis on July 27, 1770, Wesley stated: "Nothing is clearer, according to the simple Scriptural account, than sanctification, pure love reigning in the heart and life. And nothing is clearer than the need for it to feel happiness here and hereafter." [8] 

"His phrase that 'the gospel of Christ knows no religion other than social religion' became famous, which impelled Methodists to care for the poor, prisoners and marginalized." [9]

For Miss Helena. March, on July 13, 1771, Wesley said, "In the 13th of [the First of] Corinthians you have the height and depth of true perfection; and it is observable that St. Paul speaks all the time about the love of our neighbor, which really flows from the love of God." [10]

In Wesley's letters, below, we find several observations, affirmations and guidelines about love.

 

The Author

 

 ============================

 

Encourage them to expect perfect love for simple faith

 

Whatever others do, it is our duty to strongly and explicitly exhort believers to press on to perfection, and to encourage them to expect perfect love for simple faith, and consequently to expect it now

 

To George Gibbon

HOLYHEAD, April 9, 1785.

DEAR GEORGE, - What you said was exactly right, the work of God is, no doubt, instantaneous in relation to sanctification and justification, and there is no objection to the work also being gradual. Whatever others do, it is our duty to strongly and explicitly exhort believers to press on to perfection, and to encourage them to expect perfect love for simple faith, and consequently to expect it now. This is the preaching that God has always blessed, and that He will always bless those who are upright in heart.

With God's permission, we will set sail tonight. [To Dublin. See the next letter.] - I am, dear George,

Your affectionate brother.

To Mr. Gibbon, at the Preaching House, Sheffield. [11]

 

May patience make its work perfect, and you will be perfect and whole, lacking nothing

 

The One who loves you gives you a taste of what He has prepared for you. Let patience make its work perfect, and you will be perfect and whole, lacking nothing. Make sure you get the best out of life! Time is short

 

To Philothea Briggs

WHITEHAVEN, April 12, 1772.

His feelings tended to be too impetuous, and sometimes unequal as well; But nature yields to healing grace, which I believe has made you both calmer and firmer. [See letter of September 13, 1771.] And what will that not do if you persevere in all that is lovely, sacred, and happy! The One who loves you gives you a taste of what He has prepared for you. Let patience make its work perfect, and you will be perfect and whole, lacking nothing. Make sure you get the best out of life! Time is short!

currently. Goodbye. [12] 

 

Searching for perfect love 

 

Mr. Pawson will be useful wherever he goes; So I trust you too, especially for those who already like or are sincerely seeking perfect love 

 

For Ms. Pawson

LONDON, November 16, 1789.

MY DEAR SISTER, -- My health is improving rather than decreasing. I can preach once a day without any trouble, and sometimes twice [See Diary, viii. 17.]; Just not early in the morning. But I intend to do another test soon. I'm glad Select Society has been restored in Bitstall. This is an excellent means of recommending Christian perfection. Therefore, men and devils will everywhere use all the arts to dissolve these societies. Mr. Pawson will be useful wherever he goes; So I trust you too, especially for those who already like or are sincerely seeking perfect love. [See a reference to her in the November 26 letter to Adam Clarke.] You do well to insist strongly that those you already like cannot stand still. Unless you continue to observe, pray, and aspire to higher degrees of holiness, I cannot conceive not only how you can go on, but how you can keep what you have already received. Surely, therefore, this is a very much point to be insisted upon, both in public and in private, that all who have tasted the pure level of God should continually grow in grace, in the image of God, and in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. "I am, my dear sister,

Your affectionate brother.

To Ms. Pawson, In Bitstall, [13]

 

I trust that you're still on the border of perfect love

 

Despite external and internal trials, I trust that you are still on the border of perfect love. For the Lord is near!

 

To Lady Maxwell

LONDON, February 8, 1772.

MY DEAREST MALADY,-- I congratulate you for meddling as little as possible on controversial points. It is much easier to lose our love in this difficult field than it is to find the truth. This consideration made me extremely grateful to God for giving me a reprieve from controversial labors. I am glad that He has given others both the power and the willingness to respond to those who bother me; so that I am not always forced to hold my weapons in one hand while building with the other. I also rejoice not only in Mr. Fletcher's abilities, but also in his temperament. He writes as he lives. I cannot say that I know of any other clergyman like that in England or Ireland. He is all fire; But it is the fire of love. His writings, as well as his constant conversations, convey nothing more to those who read him with an impartial eye. And though Mr. Shirley hesitates not to accuse him of using subtlety and metaphysical distinctions, he abundantly gets rid of this charge in the Second Control of Antinomianism. ['A Second Control of Antinomianism; occasioned by a Late Narrative, in three letters to the Hon. and Rev. Author (Walter Shirley), was published late in 1771.] Thus the last letters are stylized, and with great decorum; for this they really went. They gave considerable control to those who, everywhere, annulled the law by faith; setting 'the righteousness of Christ' in opposition to the law of Christ, and teaching that 'without holiness any man can see the Lord.'

Despite external and internal trials, I trust that you are still on the border of perfect love. For the Lord is near!

See the Lord your Guardian stand

Omnipotently near!

Behold, He holds you by the hand,

And banish your fear!

You don't need to be afraid. Hope until the end! Not all things are possible for those who believe Dare to believe! Enjoy a blessing now! May the Lord increase your faith! In this prayer I know that you unite with, my dear Lady,

His ever-affectionate servant. [14]

 

Proofs of your love

 

O watch to keep these enemies away from your peace! And he who is your peace will give you power. be proofs of his love, beware lest you bring them upon yourself.

 

May 6, 1760

I'm glad you're so mindful of danger. It is necessary to have an extreme fear that our hearts will turn away from the living God. This never goes uncorrected: And though these chastisements are proofs of his love, beware lest he bring them upon himself. I see your presence in that place as a very particular Providence, but I feel empathy for you. I know that many of nature's latent labyrinths will be discovered for you. Maybe the cause and effects will hurt you. And what should I say to comfort my Friend? I cannot give the Waters of Consolation: Such Power belongs only to GOD. O that he may assume for you, in every hour of opportunity, that at this moment you find relief, looking to an exalted worthy, I have been asking that we may drink deeply in the spirit of a crucified life; In fact, I didn't know the depth of what I asked. Lord, make us strong to bear the 'Answer of our request! It makes us consider it our greatest privilege to devour that Cup you have drunk so much.

Go up to the Mountain, order all the things that are in the reserve to be left behind. Have you tried to do this, and are still interrupted by the Birds of Prey? Are you still molested, when would you offer the sacrifice that God requires? O watch to keep these enemies away from your peace! And he who is your peace will give you power. Yes, "when all might fails, you shall prevail (...)."

He loves you, He pities you, He demands your Heart. And he is worthy of having her. O that now reign there, the Lord of all movement there! Jesus did not leave me without comfort. He still sustains me with His Grace (...). [15]

 

A Means of Keeping God's Pure Love

 

An admirable help to conquer everything is for believers to stay close, to walk hand in hand and to provoke one another to love and good works. And one way to keep God's love pure is to exhort others to press it

 

To Elizabeth Ritchie

NEWCASTLE-UPON-TYNE, 23 June 1774.

MY DEAR BETSY,-- It gives me pleasure to find that you still stand firm in the freedom with which Christ has delivered you, and this in spite of various temptations. And these, indeed, you may still look forward to; for Satan does not sleep, and he will endeavor to torment if he cannot destroy. No, God himself, as observed, "prepares for you occasions of struggle, that you may conquer." So that you are still called to fight the good fight of faith, and so to cling to eternal life. An admirable help to conquer everything is for believers to stay close, to walk hand in hand and to provoke one another to love and good works. And one way to keep God's love pure is to exhort others to press it. When you meet on a Sunday morning, I doubt you won't, but that will be the main subject of your prayers and conversations. Then you can expect to be more and more endowed with power from heaven, testifying that He is faithful and just both to forgive us our cans and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.--I remain His with affection. [16]

 

Love is stronger than prudence

 

Now I'm going to give you one of the greatest, but also most ungrateful examples of friendship. Prudence (so-called) would prevent me from doing this. But love is stronger than prudence.

 

To Richard Morgan

WATERFORD, April 28, 1775.

DEAR SIR,-- Now I will give you one of the greatest, but also most ungrateful examples of friendship. Prudence (so-called) would prevent me from doing this. But love is stronger than prudence.

Great was the concern I felt in talking to Miss Helena. Morgan, a child so spoiled to all intents and purposes that I have not seen in fifty years, neither in Europe nor in America. I don't know what it's for. Does she consider reprimanding from a parent? Have you not let her entertain her with all her wits, all her good nature, and even good lineage? What behavior was it that I saw with my own eyes? What words have I heard with my own ears? No weakness, no pain could excuse that. Pain should soften, not soften, our temper. And what a wife must be a woman of such a temperament! What a torment it must be for any sentimental man! Happy it would be for her as well as for you if God would quickly lead her to Himself!

I couldn't help but worry about you either. You often want to be a Christian: an inward Christian, a biblical Christian, a man happy in God. Which prevents you from saving more money Cui bono. Do you already have more of what is good for you? What, do you want me to be idle? No. But I work for eternity, for treasures in heaven, for satisfying riches. Go you and do the same!

If you receive this in love, you can benefit from it. If you show this to your wife and daughter, you will not hurt me, but you will renounce all future coitus with

Your truly affectionate servant. [17]

 

Family of love

 

I hope that you all continue to be a loving family, and that the Stewards and you are in harmony with each other

 

LONDON, January 8, 1757.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- You have done a good job of sending me a specific account. The bill came safely, and he accepted. But Michael's [Michael Fenwick] senseless delay made me very distressed. He should have been here on November 28, and then he should have brought with him all the money he could get. For the future, if he makes another trip, I must determine punctually how many days he should stay in each place.

I hope that you all continue to be a loving family, and that the Stewards and you are in harmony with each other. I should be happy to see poor Becky, especially if I found her all alive to God. We have a sick family here—my wife, Jenny, Sally Clay [See letter of March 30, 1757.] sick with paralysis, T. Walsh [See letter of April 5, 1758.], and Jemmy Morgan [James Morgan became one of Wesley's assistants in 1755, at the age of nineteen. He prepared the Life and Death of Mr. Thomas Walsh in 1762. His delicate health made him retire from itinerancy. He died in Dublin in 1774. See Diary v. 210n; and letter of September 2, 1758.] of consuming disorders. But everything's better — I'm

Your affectionate brother. [18]

 

You want just that point, baby

 

You want just that point, love—love Him because He first loved us. And who knows how soon you will find it For the kingdom of God is at hand! 

 

To your niece Sarah Wesley

LIVERPOOL, April 12, 1781.

DEAR SALLY, -- In an hour or two I hope to get on board, the wind being only in favor [See the previous letter and that of May 8.]; So I make time to write two or three lines, whether it's to live to write for you again or not.

Almost everyone who begins to observe this strange truth, 'The whole world lies in the wicked,' feels the natural desire, Oh, that I had the wings of a dove, to flee from it and rest! But it is not a wilderness area that can give rest any more than a populous city. 'God made our heart for Himself, and He cannot rest until He rests in Him.' [Confessions of St. Augustine, i.] You want just that point, love—love Him because He first loved us. And who knows how soon you will find it For the kingdom of God is at hand! And if it opens up in your heart today, as you read this

Miss Helena Sánchez. Johnson [Mrs. Edwards had a famous school at Lambeth. See Diary, vi. 218, vii. 344; and letter of March 31 to his niece.] He writes to me saying that she was taken away. She is transferred to Westminster. She is currently one of the teachers at Mrs. Edwards' boarding school; but if I see London again, I'll introduce you to the house.

Peace be with your spirit! -- I am, dear Sally,

With your affection. [19]

 

He loves you freely

 

First, believe it! Christ died for you. He bore his sins. He loves you freely. Come on, get it! His favor! Your peace! Your love! But no money, no price! Leave everything you've got and it's behind Then it's all set

 

To your niece Sarah Wesley 

WHITEHAVEN, May 28, 1781.

MY DEAR SALLY, -- Here I am, waiting for a ticket to the Isle of Man. I don't know where I'll go from there. But I believe that Providence will direct me to the North of Ireland or to Newcastle-upon-Tyne.

By taking away your expectation of worldly happiness, God has been extremely merciful to you. It is good for you to have seen distress and felt disappointed in your hope. Mr. Waller's move to a better world can be another blessing to you: as well as everything that disconnects us from transitory things and teaches us five in eternity. If we first renounced our will to God in order to be in favor of Him, our case would be hopeless: no, but first you will be conscious of His favor, and then resigned to Him. First, believe it! Christ died for you. He bore his sins. He loves you freely. Come on, get it! His favor! Your peace! Your love! But no money, no price! Leave everything you have and is behind Then everything is ready. Why not now -- I am, my dear Sally,

Your fondly tender.

For Miss Helena. Wesley, in Chesterfield Street,

Marybone, London. [20]

 

Until he is happy, holy, and perfect in love

 

If you pray mightily for him, the Lord will hear your prayer and supply what is still lacking in your faith, until he is happy, holy, and perfect in love.

 

For Mrs. Cock

DUBLIN, April 7, 1789.

MY DEAR SISTER, -- I cannot help saying that this worried me when I first learned that you were married; because I was afraid that you were less useful than you might have been in a single life. And, indeed, I hoped that if you married, it would be to one of our preachers; So I could have put you in some circuit where I would have had frequent opportunities to talk to you. I'm glad, though, that you're still happy in God. If you had married an ungodly man, it would certainly have been a sin. But it was not a sin to marry a child of God—yes, even though he was only a babe in Christ. And surely, if you pray mightily for him, the Lord will hear your prayer, and supply what is still lacking in your faith, until he is happy, holy, and perfect in love. I hope there is no timidity between you and Mr. or Mrs. Clarke. And do you talk freely with the other preachers? Do you find yourself in the band? I hope you still meet Miss Helena. Lempriere and (I think her friend's name is) Mrs. Saumarez. [Adam Clarke wrote on January 13: 'Jane Cock is still well and happy. Ms. Saumarez gains ground. Miss Helena Sánchez. Lempriere is very upright, but very shy.' See August 3 letter to Mrs. Cock.] I want you and them to continually grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. Oh, let's improve this period of life as much as possible!

Your fondly tender. [21]

 

Happy to find that your love doesn't grow cold

 

I am glad to discover that your love does not grow cold, nor do your desires after all the mind that was in Christ. Now is the time to reclaim the entire image of God in which you were created

 

To Rebecca Ingram

WATERFORD, April 29, 1789.

Receiving a message from you was an unexpected pleasure. Can you inform Mr. Brown that as I intend to leave Kilfinane very early on Tuesday morning, the 12th of May is likely to be in Limerick between twelve and one o'clock. I am glad to discover that your love does not grow cold, nor do your desires after all the mind that was in Christ. Now is the time to reclaim the entire image of God in which you were created. Oh, be content with nothing less, and you will surely receive it by simple faith! May the Lord increase your faith! So pray

With affection. [22]

 

Consistent with pure love

 

While it is certain that the kind of wandering thoughts you mention are consistent with pure love, it is highly desirable to be freed from them, because (as you observe) they hinder profitable thoughts

 

To Peggy Dale

KILKENNY, July 5, 1765.

MY DEAR SISTER,-- While it is certain that the kind of wandering thoughts you mention are consistent with pure love, it is highly desirable to be freed from them, because (as you observe) they hinder profitable thoughts. And why shouldn't you be set free? In fact, we do not know how this will be done. Sometimes it pleases our Lord to accomplish a great deliverance, even of this kind, in an instant. Sometimes He grants victory little by little. And I believe this is more common. Expect that and every good gift coming from him. How wise and gracious are all His ways!

Do you often find in yourself the witness that you are saved from sin? And is that usually clear? Or do you often miss it? I don't know why I should miss out on any good gift. For is He not the same yesterday, today, and forever? And yet you have only known a little of him. You must sink a thousand times deeper into Him: That sea of light and unknown love, without bottom or margin.

I hope that Miss Helena S. Lewen and you talk to each other, not only without disguise, but without reservation. How your group is set up on fair ground! How well are you to make the best of a short life! Cut off from the world and all its cares, you have joy or sorrow, hope or fear. That is, in relation to present things. No: God has given you a nobler portion. You have nothing to care about other than how you can more fully and effectively present yourself as a living sacrifice to God.

When I reflect on your earnest desire to do this, and on your simplicity of heart, it brings indescribable pleasure to, my dear sister, your affectionate brother. I hope to stay in Dublin until the end of this month. I send Miss Helena's letter. Lewen by Portpatrick to try which will be the soonest. [The letter to Miss Helena S. Lewen is missing.] For Miss Helena. Peggy Dale, at the Orphans' House, Newcastle-upon-Tyne. [23]

 

Live, walk with love

 

In the midst of a thousand temptations, you can maintain an unblemished purity. Abide in him by simple faith at this time! Live, walk with love! May the Lord increase in you a thousandfold!

 

To Peggy Dale,

LONDON, December 31, 1765.

MY DEAR PEGGY,-- Whether this persuasion [See letter of November 6.] came from nature or from God, a little time will show. It will be a matter of great joy to me if God will give you many years to glorify Him in the body before removing Him from the world of spirits. The comfort is that, life or death, everything is yours, seeing that you are Christ's: everything is good, everything is a blessing! You just need to rest on Him with all the weight of your soul. Temptations of pride that you may have, or of anything; But that doesn't stain your soul. In the midst of a thousand temptations, you can maintain an unblemished purity. Abide in him by simple faith at this time! Live, walk with love! May the Lord increase in you a thousandfold! It draws from His fullness grace upon grace. Tell me from time to time what you feel. I can't tell you how tender I am, my dear sister, your affectionate brother. [24]

 

'How do you reconcile this or that with pure love'

 

And if the thought comes (as it may happen a thousand times), 'How do you reconcile this or that with pure love,' do not reason, but look to Jesus and say to Him sincerely and without delay, 'You will answer for me, O Lord my God

 

To Peggy Dale

MANCHESTER, April 1, 1766.

MY DEAR PEGGY, - I noticed that, about the time you wrote earlier, your steps had almost slipped. You were a little far from abandoning your trust and giving up what God had done. But his look took pity on you, and his hand took hold of you and put your feet back on the rock. Now, my dear maid, remain simple before God! And if the thought comes (as it may a thousand times), 'How do you reconcile this or that with pure love,' do not reason, but look to Jesus and say to him sincerely and without delay, 'You will answer for me, O Lord my God.' Keep loving and praying for, my dear sister, [25]

 

Spread the fire of love wherever their destiny was cast

 

In various parts of England, as well as in America, God has recently revived many young people, full of life and fire, and who have spread the fire of love wherever their destiny has been cast

 

To Richard Whatcoat

LONDON, July 17, 1788.

MY DEAR BROTHER,-- I am never so busy that I don't take the time to remember my friends. I have not heard of you taking any action that I disapprove of. It wasn't your fault that you didn't get to the office I assigned you. Brother Casey is very much looking forward to being assigned to the English or Irish circuit, and I believe it will be for his good. He will be both holier and happier than in his American life.

In various parts of England, as well as in America, God has recently revived many young people, full of life and fire, and who have spread the fire of love wherever their destiny has been cast. It was not well judged by Brother Asbury to suffer, much less indirectly encourage, this foolish step in the recent Conference. Every preacher present should, both in duty and prudence, have said, 'Brother Asbury, Mr. Wesley is your father, consequently ours, and we will affirm it before all the world.' It is indeed probable that the disagreement with me, as soon as my head is set, will cause a complete rupture between the English and American Methodists. They will naturally say, 'If they can do without us, we can do without them.' But they will find a bigger difference than they realize. Then came a separation between them. Well, whatever happens tomorrow, may you and I live today! -- I am, dear Richard,

Your affectionate friend and brother.

To the Rev. Mr. Whatcoat, in Philip Rogers, Esq.

In Baltimore, Maryland. Posto for New York. [26]

 

Now let your heart flow with love

 

But let's live today! What a blessing you may receive now!

Now let your heart flow with love,

And all his life may His glory be shown!

 

To Lady Maxwell

LONDON, February 17, 1770.

MY DEAREST MALADY,-- To us, it may seem that uninterrupted health would be a greater help than pain or sickness. But here we are certainly mistaken; We are not so good judges in our own cause. You can really say, 'Health I will have if health is better.' But in this and in all things you can trust the One who loves you. In fact, nervous disorders are, of all others, as observed, enemies of the joy of faith. But the essence of it, this trust in a loving and forgiving God, they can neither destroy nor harm. No, just as they keep you dead to everyone down there, they can lead you there, and they can increase your sincerity after that pure love that turns the earth into paradise.

It will be with a lot of effort and patience that you will keep someone firm in high life, in the simple and old way. I would like you to talk to her as often as possible. So I trust that God will use you to keep alive the fire He has kindled. I have high hopes that the chapel will be useful; But it will not be easy to get a converted clergyman. A master will be easier to find; although many here are frightened by the name of Scotland. A dedicated teacher can take care of twenty or perhaps thirty children. If someone I have seen recently is willing to come, I believe he will respond to your plan.

I have some ideas of going to America [See the letters of January 25 and February 21 (to George Whitefield).]; But the path is still unclear. I wait until Providence speaks more clearly on one side or the other. In April, I hope to reach Inverness and take Edinburgh on my way back to England. But let's live today! What a blessing you may receive now!

Now let your heart flow with love,

And all his life may His glory be shown!

--I am, my dear lady, Your ever-affectionate servant. [27]

 

The love of our neighbor, which really flows from the love of God

 

In the 13th of [the First of] Corinthians you have the height and depth of true perfection; and it is observable that St. Paul speaks all the time about the love of our neighbor, which actually flows from the love of God

 

For Miss Helena. March

DUBLIN, July 13, 1771.

As long as we dwell in a house of clay, it can affect the mind; sometimes dulling or darkening the understanding, and sometimes more directly deadening and depressing the soul, sinking it into anguish and sorrow. In this state, doubt or fear of one kind or another will naturally arise. And the prince of this world, who well knows what we are made of, will not fail to improve the occasion, to disturb, though he cannot defile, the heart which God has cleansed from all unrighteousness.

I rejoice with you in regard to poor Martin Madan. [See the reference to his mother in Wesley, ii. of Tyerman. 284.] People who are extremely loyal to their parents rarely fail to receive a reward, even in today's world.

My appeal to America is still unclear. [See letters of December 14, 1770 and August 14, 1771 (to Philothea Briggs).] I have nothing to do with it as long as they can be without me. I am now indebted to the people of England and Ireland, and especially to those who believe.

You have a delicate role to play in relation to Philadelphia. [See the previous letter and the one dated September 13.] There are so many serious defects in her natural temperament that it will require much grace to make her thoroughly Christian; neither of the two graces will shine in her as she would in others. You must carefully encourage what is of God in her, and tenderly rebuke what is of nature. I fear for P--D-- , [Damaris Perronet.] lest she be less zealous for good deeds than she was before. I doubt she has little incentive to do so at the moment.

In the 13th of [the First of] Corinthians you have the height and depth of true perfection; and it is observable that St. Paul speaks all the time about the love of our neighbor, which actually flows from the love of God. Mr. De Renty is an excellent pattern of this. But many things in your fellowship with God will not be explained until the Holy Spirit explains them by writing them on your heart. This darkness that often clouded their understanding I consider something quite supernatural. I believe that the spirit of darkness spreads a mist over your mind, as far as is permitted; and that the best remedy is simply to look to God, and the cloud will flee in His presence.--I am, etc. [28]

 

Many wanderings too, and many deficiencies, are consistent with pure love

 

Many wanderings also, and many deficiencies, are consistent with pure love; but what you mean is the permanent witness of the Spirit touching just that. And this you can boldly affirm on the basis of the assurance of that word: 'We have received the Spirit which is of God

 

For Ms. Bennis

PEMBROKE, August 23, 1763.

MY DEAR SISTER, — You did well to write. This is one of the means God generally uses to convey light or comfort. Even as he writes, he will often find relief; Often, while we propose a question, it is removed.

There is no doubt that what you experienced initially was a true anticipation of the blessing, although you were not properly possessed of it until the following Pentecost Sunday. But it is very possible to discard the gift of God, or to lose it little by little; though I trust that this is not the case with you: and yet you may often be in weight, and may find that your love to God is not so hot at times as at others. Many wanderings also, and many deficiencies, are consistent with pure love; but what you mean is the permanent witness of the Spirit touching just that. And this you can boldly affirm based on the assurance of that word: 'We have received the Spirit which is of God; that we may know the things freely given to us by God.' — I am, my dear sister, [29]

 

We don't need to lose any degree of that light and love

 

The essential part of Christian holiness is to give one's heart wholly to God; and certainly we need not lose any degree of that light and love which at first accompany it: it is our own infirmity if we do; it is not the Lord's will for us. Your current subject is not to reason whether you should call

 

For Ms. Bennis

DUBLIN, July 25, 1767.

DEAR SISTER BENNIS,-- When you write to me, just 'think aloud,' just to open the window in your chest. When we love ourselves, there is no need for disguise or reserve. I love you, and I truly believe that you love me; So you just need to write down exactly what you feel.

The essential part of Christian holiness is to give one's heart wholly to God; and certainly we need not lose any degree of that light and love which at first accompany it: it is our own infirmity if we do; it is not the Lord's will for us. Your present business is not to reason whether you should call your experience this or that, but to go straight to the One who loves you, with all your desires, how great or how many they are. Then everything is ready; Help, as long as you ask, is given. You just need to receive it by simple faith. Even so, you will still be surrounded by numerous diseases; for you live in a house of clay, and therefore this corruptible body will more or less press upon the soul, but not so as to prevent you from rejoicing for ever and bearing witness that your heart is all His. You can claim this: it's yours; for Christ is his. Believe, and feel Him near.--My dear sister, farewell. [30]

 

Who once enjoyed and lost the pure love of God

 

A few years ago, I was inclined to think that those who once enjoyed and lost the pure love of God should never again try to enjoy it until they are just entering eternity. But experience has taught us better things

 

For Ms. Bennis

CORK, May 30, 1769.

MY DEAR SISTER BENNIS,-- A few years ago, I was inclined to think that those who once enjoyed and lost the pure love of God should never try to enjoy it again until they were just entering eternity. But experience has taught us better things. We now have innumerable instances of those who had forsaken this unspeakable blessing, and now enjoy it in greater measure than ever before. And why shouldn't it be your case? Why aren't you worthy? They were too. Because you were an unfaithful steward. So they also went; but God healed you freely: and so will He heal you. Just don't reason against Him. Look for nothing in yourself but sin and unworthiness. Forget about yourself. Worthy is the Lamb; and He prevailed for you. You will not die, but you will live--you will live all the life of heaven on earth. You don't need anything for that but faith. And who gives this One who is at the door.

I hope to see you in Limerick on Monday evening; we'll probably be in Brough just after an hour. [On Monday, June 5, Wesley writes: 'Having been too insistent on giving another day or two, I rode to Limerick... On Thursday, the 8th, I said goodbye once again to this loving people.' See Diary, v. 319.] And I ask that there will never again be any reservation between you and, my dear sister,

Your affectionate brother. [31]

 

They had been renewing themselves in love for some time

 

They had been renewing themselves in love for some time, and then they rejoiced still more; but after a few years, months, or weeks, they were drawn away from their firmness; Still, several of these have recovered all that they had lost, and some with increase, being much more established than before

 

For Ms. Bennis

YARM, June 13, 1770.

MY DEAR SISTER,-- Now we have many people all over England in the very state you describe. They had been renewing themselves in love for some time, and then they rejoiced still more; but after a few years, months, or weeks, they were drawn away from their firmness; Still, several of these recovered all that they had lost, and some with increase, being much more established than before. And why can't it be like that with you? In fact, because you do not deny or doubt the work that God has done in you, and that by simple faith. Surely you should expect the same free gift every day; and He will not disappoint your hope.

But how does this apply to Waterford? [See letter of July 27.] They would, and they would not: I sent two preachers to this circuit; Why didn't they keep them? W. L--wrote that there was no employment or pension for two, and therefore he wanted leave to return to England. Let me hear more from you on this subject.

If you can protect Brother Saunderson from the pride and applause of well-meaning people, he will be a happy man and a useful worker. I hope Brother M--- didn't get cold. Awaken the gift of God that is in you-- I am, my dear sister,

Your affectionate brother. [32]

 

Sanctification, pure love reigning in the heart and in the life

 

Nothing is clearer, according to the simple biblical account, than sanctification, pure love reigning in the heart and life. And nothing is clearer than the need for this to feel happiness here and in the hereafter

 

For Ms. Bennis

ASHBY, July 27, 1770.

DEAR SISTER,-- Will you find in yourself anything but inadequacy? Otherwise, his salvation would be of works, not of grace. But you are often weary of a bad disease—evil reasoning; which harms both his holiness and his happiness. You want true Christian simplicity, which is in fact the highest wisdom. Nothing is clearer, according to the simple biblical account, than sanctification, pure love reigning in the heart and life. And nothing is clearer than the need for this to feel happiness here and in the hereafter. Check all the reasoning on these basic principles, otherwise you will darken your soul a lot; And keep denying yourself, and taking up your cross, until you

Sink to the height of perfection,

The depth of humble love.

If the preachers of the Waterford Circuit had punctually followed the plan I had laid down, the horse would not have been a problem; But the misfortune is that every idiot is wiser than I am. However, at your desire, I will send a second preacher into the circuit after the Conference; But preachers need to change regularly. It would never be well to let a man sit for six months with a small Society; Soon he would preach himself and them as dead as stones. Your alteration of the circuit to accommodate the poor and dead Clonmel I greatly approve, and I hope that Sister L-- [See letter of June 13] will be a blessing to the few present. I rejoice at the happy launch of Sisters P and B--. [Mrs. Bennis told him that they both died triumphant.] Isn't it worth living for?

Still approach the source by simple faith, and take as much as you want; But don't be lazy in

The vineyard of your Lord.--My dear sister,

With affection.

Your affectionate friend and brother. [33]

 

Urge them to maintain love for both the Church and their brethren

 

Furnish the poor with all our little books, with or without money, and exhort them to maintain love both for the Church and for their brethren.

 

LONDON, February 17, 1776.

MY DEAR BROTHER,-- The uncertainty of a passage from Liverpool is a weighty objection; as well as the uncertainty of the passage to Whitehaven, so I must put that thought aside. A little fatigue I don't consider, but I can't afford to waste time. Furnish the poor with all our little books, with or without money, and exhort them to maintain love both for the Church and for their brethren. If we don't build a new Foundation this summer, I hope to see you at the usual time—I'm

Your affectionate friend and brother.[34]

 

But it's nothing compared to love

 

I feel more like warmth than light. I value light; But it's nothing compared to love. Aim at this, my dear friend, in all public exercises, and you will rarely be disappointed. Then you won't stop at the threshold of perfection

 

For Miss Helena. March

CHARLEMONT, June 9, 1775.

Quite possibly, if I live another seven years, we should know each other. I really think that your reserve is exhausted, although only by a hair at a time. Speed up the pace. What you do, do it fast. 'Almost nothing important enough to write'! Why, couldn't you say something about yourself? And is there anything related to your well-being that isn't important to me? Am I not concerned about everything that concerns you that diminishes or increases your happiness? I want you to be as happy and (for that) as holy as an angel, so that you do God's will on earth as angels do in heaven.

I am less careful about his increase in knowledge beyond what he usually enjoys. There is a risk that you put more emphasis on this than the justified reason. Otherwise, you would make a lot of profit from sermons, which do not improve your knowledge—which do not apply to the understanding as directly as they do to the heart. I feel more like warmth than light. I value light; But it's nothing compared to love. Aim at this, my dear friend, in all public exercises, and you will rarely be disappointed. Then you will not stop at the threshold of perfection (I hope you will not stop now), but you will go forward to the goal, to the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus, until you know experientially all that love of God which imparts all (speculative) knowledge.

The prolongation of your life and the restoration of your health are priceless blessings. But you ask how you are going to improve them for the glory of the Giver? And are you willing to know? Then I'll tell you how. Go see the poor and sick in their own little houses. Take up your cross, woman! Remember faith! Jesus went before you, and he will go with you. Push the lady away; You have a superior character.

You are God's heir and Christ's joint heir! Will you not find Him in the air with ten thousand of His saints? Oh be ready! [35]

To Mr. Tattershall, in the Preaching House,

Norwich.

 

The perfect love

 

The perfect love ούν άσχημονεϊ is neither misbehaved nor immature. Peace be with all your spirits

 

For Thomas McGeary

LONDON, January 9, 1790.

DEAR TOMMY, There is no danger that I will find your writing problematic. If Mr. [Funnal] thinks that he was wrong to leave, and that it is a favor to receive him again, you may receive him; But he seems to me to be out of his mind. Mr. Carr has not written me anything. I hope he (at least) knows when he's okay. A place so different for him can hardly be found.

You should be absent from school at times, so that you can be present more effectively. But I wish you would take a little tour next month, weather permitting. Spending a week or two outdoors every now and then is the best physical thing in the world for you. The perfect love ούν άσχημονεϊ is neither misbehaved nor immature. Peace be with all your spirits --I am, dear Tommy, Yours with all love.

Mr. Bradily, a godly young man from Antigua, longs to be a guest at Kingswood. I am not opposed. [36]

 

You keep your love and your integrity even among the noises

 

To give further proof that you are a man who can be trusted. You keep your love and your integrity even among the noises

 

To Henry Moore

PARKGATE, April 25, 1790.

Thank you, my dear Harry, for giving me further proof that you are a man to be trusted. You keep your love and your integrity even among the noises, But who was it that turned Dr. Coke from east to west and (much stranger!) Dr. Hamilton But how is it that the fact The Society in Dublin is silent or not The dispute has been forgotten or does it continue The majority of the people are in favor of maintaining or abolishing the eleven o'clock service [See letters of May 6,   x788, and May 12, 1790.] Certainly Dr. Coke is not well in his senses.

I wrote an affectionate but direct letter to Arthur Keene [See the next letter, and that of July 6, 1789.] (without saying a word from the morning service) in this regard: 'You would not have justified removing a friend like me, even if I had become a Papist or a Mohammedan.' -- I am, with affection to Nancy, dear Henry,

Your affectionate friend and brother. [37]

 

Show him that his behaviors were contrary to reason and brotherly love

 

I think that as soon as you can, you should have a full explanation with Thomas Warwick in the presence of two or three witnesses. Show him that his behaviors were contrary to reason and brotherly love

 

For Robert Costerdine

LONDON, December 27, 1776.

MY DEAR BROTHER,--I think that as soon as you can you should have a full explanation with Thomas Warwick in the presence of two or three witnesses. Show him that his behaviors were contrary to reason and brotherly love. If you can convince him of this, all that is past must die and be forgotten. If not, you can't give him another ticket.--I am, dear Robert,

Your affectionate friend and brother.

To Mr. Robert Costerdine, at the home of Rev. Mr. Wesley

Preaching house in Manchester. [38]

 

Pure love that transforms the earth into paradise

 

But the essence of it, this trust in a loving and forgiving God, they can neither destroy nor harm. No, just as they keep you dead to everyone down there, they can lead you there, and they can increase your sincerity after that pure love that turns the earth into paradise.

 

LONDON, February 17, 1770.

MY DEAREST MALADY,-- To us, it may seem that uninterrupted health would be a greater help than pain or sickness. But here we are certainly mistaken; We are not so good judges in our own cause. You can really say, 'Health I will have if health is better.' But in this and in all things you can trust the One who loves you. In fact, nervous disorders are, of all others, as observed, enemies of the joy of faith. But the essence of it, this trust in a loving and forgiving God, they can neither destroy nor harm. No, just as they keep you dead to everyone down there, they can lead you there, and they can increase your sincerity after that pure love that turns the earth into paradise.

It will be with a lot of effort and patience that you will keep someone firm in high life, in the simple and old way. I would like you to talk to her as often as possible. So I trust that God will use you to keep alive the fire He has kindled. I have high hopes that the chapel will be useful; But it will not be easy to get a converted clergyman. A master will be easier to find; although many here are frightened by the name of Scotland. A dedicated teacher can take care of twenty or perhaps thirty children. If someone I have seen recently is willing to come, I believe he will respond to your plan.

I have some ideas of going to America [See the letters of January 25 and February 21 (to George Whitefield).]; But the path is still unclear. I wait until Providence speaks more clearly on one side or the other. In April, I hope to reach Inverness and take Edinburgh on my way back to England. But let's live today! What a blessing you may receive now!

Now let your heart flow with love,

And all his life may His glory be shown!

--I am, my dear lady, Your ever-affectionate servant. [39]

 

But you shouldn't expect to be so and so convinced to be renewed in love

 

But you must not expect to be so and so convinced to be renewed in love. No: pray now for every mind that was in Christ

 

To Mary Bishop

LONDON, June 20, 1770.

Wesley's pastoral letters in 1770

DEAR MISS BISHOP,-- At the moment you are exactly in your place; and I trust that no temptation, internal or external, will ever lead you to abandon the work to which God has called you. You should expect to be taken to the two extremes by turns—self-confidence and a lot of shyness. But it is certain that the first is the more dangerous of the two; and you need all the power of God to save yourself from it. And He will save you to the extreme, as long as you still maintain the feeling of poverty and powerlessness.

It is a good prayer,

Show me, how my soul can bear,

The depth of consanguineous sin!

And only so that He can take care of you; for He remembers that you are but dust. But you must not expect to be so and so convinced to be renewed in love. No: pray now for the whole mind that was in Christ; and you will have more and more conviction as He wills. Mr. Spencer [See letters of September 13, 1769, and October 12, 1771.] and Glynne are of excellent spirit, notwithstanding their opinion. I hardly know my colleagues. Love is all we want; Let that fill our hearts, and that's enough. Peace be with your spirit,-- I am

Your affectionate brother. [40]

 

A soul full of love

 

When things are seen from afar, one tends to imagine that no degree of sorrow could be found in a heart that rejoices forever; that no right temperament could be lacking, much less any degree of wrong temperament, subsisting, in a soul full of love.

 

For Miss Helena. March

DAWGREEN, July 6, 1770.

When things are seen from afar, one tends to imagine that no degree of sorrow could be found in a heart that rejoices forever; that no right temperament could be lacking, much less any degree of wrong temperament, subsisting, in a soul full of love. And yet I doubt whether there is any soul clothed with flesh and blood that has every right temper, and in which there is not a degree of a bad temper, supposing it to be from ill-calculated zeal, or more or less affection for any one than that person really deserves. When we say, 'This is a natural and necessary consequence of the union of the soul with a corruptible body,' the statement is by no means clear until we add, 'because of the weakness of understanding which results from this union'; Admitting this, the case is clear. There is such a close connection between right judgment and right temperaments, as well as right practice, that the latter cannot easily subsist without the former. Some wrong temper, at least in a small measure, almost necessarily arises from wrong judgments: I apprehend when many say, 'Sin must remain while the body remaineth,' that is what they mean, though they cannot understand it.

You say, 'My silence usually stems from my opinions and thoughts about myself as a Christian.' Bishop Fenelon [Archbishop of Cambria, 1695-1715.] says: 'Simplicity is that grace which frees the soul from all unnecessary reflections on itself.' Here's a kind of simplicity you want! When I speak or write to you, I have you in front of my eyes, but generally speaking, I don't think about myself. I do not think whether I am wise or foolish, wise or ignorant; But I see you aiming for glory and immortality, and say exactly what I hope can direct your paths on the path and keep it from getting tired or fading in your mind. Our Lord will ordain all right for Sister Thornton. [See letters of August 12, 1769 and April 14, 1771 to Miss Helena S. March.] What can hurt those who trust him? [41]

 

He then gave her a taste of forgiving love

 

There is no reasonable doubt that you had at the time to mention a real blessing from God. I do not question that He then gave you a taste of forgiving love; But you weren't totally convinced of the inbred sin

 

For James Copeland

GLASGOW, May 14, 1786.

MY DEAR BROTHER, - There is no reasonable doubt that you had at the time to mention a real blessing from God. I do not question that He then gave you a taste of forgiving love; But you were not wholly convinced of the consanguineous sin—the sin of your nature. God is now convicting you of this to give you a clean heart; and Satan strives to drive him to despair. But don't consider it. Look to Jesus; I dare to believe that I crave Christ! Wrestle with Christ in mighty prayer. Yes,

A sigh will reach His heart; One look

It will bring it from the sky.

He's nearby! - I'm

Your affectionate brother. [42]

 

May the One who loves you fill you with His pure love

 

It's great to devote all of our time to the glory of God. But you need not be scrupulous as to the exact time of reading and prayer; I mean, as for the division between one and the other. A few minutes on one side or the other are of little importance.

May He who loves you fill you with His pure love--I am Your loving brother.

 

Editor's Introductory Notes: 1760

WEDNESBURY, March 4, 1760.

 

Certainly, the more freedom you use, the more advantage you will find. But at the same time, it will be necessary to continually remind you from whom all good and perfect gifts come. If He blesses our relationships with one another, then we will never regret the work.

It is truly a blessing when God reveals our hearts and shows us clearly what spirit we are from. But there is no need for this self-knowledge to make us unhappy. Certainly the highest degree of this is quite consistent with both peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. Therefore, however deeply convinced you may be of pride, self-will, irritation, or any other consanguineous sin, see that you do not let go of that confidence by which you can still rejoice in God your Savior. Some, indeed, have been quite unhappy, though they have kept their faith, by desire on the one hand, and conviction on the other. But that's nothing to you; You need never give up anything you have already received: you will not open it, if you keep close to it,-- Therefore my vehement soul remains motionless; Restless, resigned, so I wait. We have a fuller and clearer knowledge of our own members than of those belonging to other Societies; and therefore may, without any culpable bias, have a better opinion of them.

It's great to devote all of our time to the glory of God. But you need not be scrupulous as to the exact time of reading and prayer; I mean, as for the division between one and the other. A few minutes on one side or the other are of little importance.

May He who loves you fill you with His pure love--I am Your loving brother. [43]

 

How soon your heart will be all love

 

Be simple before God! Continue instantly in prayer; and watch against everything you know from experience to be a burden on your mind. Soon, then, you will have all your desire! How soon your heart will be all love!

 

To Jane Hilton

YORK, June 25, 1768.

MY DEAR SISTER,-- Your conversation brought me much satisfaction. I rejoiced to find that you were conscious of your loss and determined, by God's grace, never to rest until you regain all that you once enjoyed. No, and you will get it back with the increase; you will find a deeper communion with God and a fuller devotion to yourself than ever before. A sincere one of these was given to you the other day. Hold on tight and wait for the rest continuously. How did you meet on Thursday morning? Didn't you get a taste of the great salvation again? And how has it been since then? Are you still happy in God, and have decided not to rest until everyone is devoted to Him? See that you don't fall into bad rationing again! Be simple before God! Continue instantly in prayer; and watch against everything you know from experience to be a burden on your mind. Soon, then, you will have all your desire! How soon your heart will be all love! Why not now? Everything is ready! Just believe! And speak freely to, my dear Jenny,

Your affectionate brother.

For Miss Helena. Hilton, in Beverley. [44]

 

And is it not the Lord's will that you should receive daily a new increase of love?

 

His grace is sufficient for you. But you must keep growing if you keep standing; for no one can stand still. And is it not the Lord's will that you should receive daily a new increase of love? And see that you try so hard to comfort the mental, support the weak, confirm the vacillations, and recover those who are off the path.

 

For Ms. Barton

ARBROATH, May 8, 1770.

MY DEAR SISTER,-- Two things are certain: one, that it is possible to lose even the pure love of God; the other, which is not necessary, is not inevitable — it may be lost, but it may be maintained. Thus we have some in every part of the kingdom who have never been turned away from their steadfastness. And from this moment on you need never move: His grace is sufficient for you. But you must keep growing if you keep standing; for no one can stand still. And is it not the Lord's will that you should receive daily a new increase of love? And see that you try so hard to comfort the mental, support the weak, confirm the vacillations, and recover those who are off the path. In June I hope to see you. Peace be with your spirits! --I am

Your affectionate brother. [45]

 

And wait for all the residue of the promises He has given you to prove His pure love

 

Now make the most of the perks you enjoy. And wait for all the residue of the promises He has given you to prove His pure love. What's left but that you must be filled with it

 

To Mrs Barton, Hull

LIVERPOOL, March 22, 1773.

MY DEAR SISTER,--I am glad that you have been transferred to Hull [See letter of January 21.]. Probably Brother Barton and you will have an advantage in business. Surely you have the advantage of fellow travelers on the way to paradise that you wouldn't find in Beverley. Still, I do not doubt that some names will remain there that will not be easily removed from their firmness. And when two or three come together, we know that our Lord is in the midst of them.

Now make the most of the perks you enjoy. And wait for all the residue of the promises He has given you to prove His pure love. What remains but that you shall be filled with this—I am, with love to Brother Barton, dear Jenny, your affectionate brother.

To Mrs. Jane Barton, in Hembrough Square,

Silver Street, Hull. [46]

 

A calm and peaceful love

 

Rapturous joy, such as is often given at the beginning of justification or entire sanctification, is a great blessing; But it rarely continues long before it turns into a calm and peaceful love

 

For Ms. Barton

BRISTOL, July 29,  1777.

 

MY DEAR SISTER,-- It is good that you have learned to say, 'The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away.' Your child is gone, but a little before you. How sure we shall attain it! It is not inconsistent with Christian resignation to ask conditionally, 'Let this cup pass from me'; only with the addition, 'Nevertheless, not as I will, but as Thou writest.'

Rapturous joy, such as is often given at the beginning of justification or entire sanctification, is a great blessing; But it rarely continues long before it turns into a calm and peaceful love. I believe that if Miss Helena S. Hurrell [See letter of October 28.] to spend a little time with you, this could be of great use to many. "I am, with affection to Brother Barton, your affectionate brother. [47]

 

Until he is happy, holy, and perfect in love

 

And surely, if you pray mightily for him, the Lord will hear your prayer, and supply what is still lacking in your faith, until he is happy, holy, and perfect in love

 

For Mrs. Cock

DUBLIN, April 7, 1789.

MY DEAR SISTER, -- I cannot help saying that this worried me when I first learned that you were married; because I was afraid that you were less useful than you might have been in a single life. And, indeed, I hoped that if you married, it would be to one of our preachers; So I could have put you in some circuit where I would have had frequent opportunities to talk to you. I'm glad, though, that you're still happy in God. If you had married an ungodly man, it would certainly have been a sin. But it was not a sin to marry a child of God—yes, even though he was only a babe in Christ. And surely, if you pray mightily for him, the Lord will hear your prayer, and supply what is still lacking in your faith, until he is happy, holy, and perfect in love. I hope there is no timidity between you and Mr. or Mrs. Clarke. And do you talk freely with the other preachers? Do you find yourself in the band? I hope you still meet Miss Helena. Lempriere and (I think her friend's name is) Mrs. Saumarez. [Adam Clarke wrote on January 13: 'Jane Cock is still well and happy. Ms. Saumarez gains ground. Miss Helena Sánchez. Lempriere is very upright, but very shy.' See August 3 letter to Mrs. Cock.] I want you and them to continually grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. Oh, let's improve this period of life as much as possible!

Your fondly tender. [48]  

 

To be perfected in love is to be filled with the Holy Spirit

 

I believe that he who is perfected in love, or filled with the Holy Spirit, may properly be called a father. We must push both babies and young people to aspire—yes, to wait. And why not now? I would like you to give another reading to the Simple Account of Christian Perfection

 

CHESTER, March 16. 1771.

DEAR JOSEPH,

"No, I don't forbid you to be connected with us. I believe that Providence calls you to this. I only warn you about what would diminish its usefulness. On this subject, I never allow myself to reason. I must quickly convince myself that I am a deist, perhaps an atheist. I'm glad you don't put stress on it. We have better subjects to put our thoughts into practice.

A babe in Christ (of whom I know thousands) sometimes has the testimony. A young man (in the sense of St. John) has this continually. I believe that he who is perfected in love, or filled with the Holy Spirit, may properly be called a father. We must push both babies and young people to aspire—yes, to wait. And why not now? I would like you to give another reading to the Simple Account of Christian Perfection.--I am, dear Joseph,

Your affectionate brother.

PS.--While I'm in Ireland, you just need to go straight to Dublin. I am afraid that soft words prevailed over Mr. Fletcher and convinced him that all the fault was his. He promised to write to me from Wales, but I did not receive a single line.

To Mr. Benson, at Edmund Hall, Oxon. [49]

 

Our Lord's usual method is to purify us with joy in the Holy Spirit and full awareness of His love

 

It is true that our Lord's usual method is to purify us with joy in the Holy Spirit and full consciousness of His love. But I have known several exempt cases, and I am clearly convinced that yours is one of them

 

For Ann Loxdale

BRISTOL, March 9, 1782.

MY DEAR MISS LOXDALE,—'GOLD IS TRIED IN THE FIRE, AND ACCEPTABLE MEN IN THE FURNACE OF ADVERSITY.'

You say, 'I don't know where I'm going.' I'll tell you where. You are going the straight way to be swallowed up by God. 'I don't know what I'm doing.' You are suffering God's will and glorifying Him in the fire. 'But I am not increasing in the divine life.' That is your mistake. Maybe now you're increasing it faster than you've ever since it was justified. It is true that our Lord's usual method is to purify us with joy in the Holy Spirit and full consciousness of His love. But I have known several exempt cases, and I am clearly convinced that yours is one of them; e

Far, far beyond what you thought

Your council shall attend,

When He is fully accomplished the work

This caused his unnecessary fear. [See Wesley's translation of Gerhardt's poem, verse 14.]

If possible, meet me in Madeley on Saturday [He was in Madeley on March 23.]; then you can converse more fully with, my dear Miss Helena. Loxdale,

With all the affection. [50]

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



[1]

[2] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1747/

[3] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[4] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1770/

[5] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[6] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1761/

[7] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[8] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1770/

[9] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[10] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/

[11] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1785/

[12] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1772/

[13] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789

[14] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1772/

[15] https://finestofthewheat.org/plain_account_03/

[16] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1774/

[17] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[18] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1757/

[19] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1781b/

[20] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1781/

[21] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[22] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[23] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1765/

[24]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1765/

[25] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1766/

[26] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1788/

[27] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1770/

[28] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/

[29] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1763/

[30] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1767/

[31] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1769/

[32] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1770/

[33] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1770/

[34] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1764/

[35] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1775/

[36] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/

[37] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/

[38] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1776/

[39]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1770/

[40]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1770/

[41]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1770/

[42] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1786/

[43] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1760/

[44] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1768/

[45] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1770/

[46] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1773/

[47] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1777/

[48]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[49]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/

[50]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1782/

Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas deste blog