Preachers after Wesley's own heart

 

Odilon Massolar Chaves

 ============================

 


 

Copyright © 2026, Odilon Massolar Chaves

All rights reserved to the author.

It is allowed to read, copy and share for free.

Article 184 of the Penal Code and Law 96710 of February 19, 1998.

Books published in the Wesleyan Digital Library: 843

Books published by the author: 883

Cover: https://viamediamethodists.wordpress.com/2015/04/19/3-reasons-why-itinerancy-is-an-idea-whose-time-has-come-and-gone-umc

Odilon Massolar Chaves is a retired Methodist pastor, with a doctorate in Theology and History from the Methodist University of São Paulo.

Son of Rev. Adherico Ribeiro Chaves and Roza Massolar Chaves.

He is married to RoseMary.

He has two daughters: Liliana and Luciana.

His thesis dealt with the Methodist revival in England in the eighteenth century and its contribution as a paradigm for our days.

 

 

 

                                    Table of Contents     

 

 

·       Introduction

·       Behind the scenes of Wesley and the preachers

·       Strange and arched expressions in preaching

·       Wesley began to read with his preachers

·       Book sales depend on preachers

·       Out of foolish complacency, our preachers in Scotland have often done harm

·       I would be happy to have all our preachers taught, even by a dance master

·       We also agree that preachers who relax our obligation to the moral virtues

·       Totally unfit to be a Methodist preacher

·       There are no circuits in England with more than four preachers

·       So that there is no jealousy or coldness among the preachers

·       I wish we didn't have any circuit with fewer than three preachers in it

·       That the Conference has the right to position the preachers

·       Let the preachers stand firm together, and then the people will be regular

·       Ours are itinerant preachers

·       Preachers who truly fear God and have their hearts in His work

·       If preachers and leaders strongly exhort believers to press on to perfection

·       If any of our itinerant pole-loving preachers

·       Advantages we have reaped for many years from the constant change of preachers

·       I wish I had a hundred preachers like him

·       I desire our preachers to celebrate feasts of love and have nights of vigil

·       Brother Hayter is accustomed to speaking against other preachers

·       Some of the preachers are at the base of this opposition

·       I think you will have reason to praise God for your preachers

·       Soon it will revive if they have acceptable preachers

·       'By whom will the preachers sent from time to time to Dewsbury be judged?'

·       I do not require any of our preachers to take leave either for themselves or for the places where they preach

·       All our preachers were single men, when, in time, some of them married

·       Surely preachers should not kill themselves

·       We suffer many inconveniences in accepting more preachers than we can keep

·       Some in Redruth were prone to despise and very willing to rule over their preachers

·       One of our preachers informs me that he is willing to go to any part of Africa or America

·       I wish all our English preachers had the same spirit as the Irish

·       Totally unfit to be a Methodist preacher

·       I am determined that there should be no circuits in England with more than four preachers

·       On the Appointment of Preachers

·       So that there is no jealousy or coldness among the preachers

·       How cruelly it was used by me and the preachers

·       I have no objection to you being on an English circuit next year

·       If all our preachers here were really Methodists

·       If you married, go to one of our preachers

·       I would not employ such an apostle if he could not preach in the morning

·       If the Conference did not provide them with preachers

·       Several of our preachers will leave the Church

·       Preachers, most of whom were truly devoted to God

·       That the Conference has the right to position the preachers

·       Accept Some Married Preachers

 

 

Introduction

 

"Preachers After Wesley's Own Heart" is a 57-page book based on Wesley's letters.

There were preachers whom Wesley cited as examples, and others whom Wesley said were not fit to be Methodist preachers.

In 1788, Wesley wrote of Thomas Coke, "I wish I had a hundred preachers like him." [1]

To John Stretton, on February 27, 1789, Wesley wrote of preachers who were truly devoted to God: "Thirty years ago we had thirty or forty preachers, most of whom were truly devoted to God." [2]

Wesley reveals that there were very humble preachers. Writing on December 10, 1748, Wesley reveals the simplicity in which he and the preachers lived among the poor, in the House of the Poor: "I may add, four or five preachers; for I myself, as well as the other preachers who are in the city, feed with the poor in the same food and at the same table; and we rejoice here, as a comfort to eat bread together in our Father's kingdom."[3]

Wesley was outspoken and corrected preachers. To Thomas Wride, on May 5. In 1790, Wesley wrote, "I hope you have given up your strange, arched expressions in preaching, and that you will speak as clearly and monotonously as one of us." [4]

There were preachers who truly feared God and had their hearts in His work. So Wesley said to Mrs. Johnston on September 24, 1779: "I believe you have now preachers who really fear God and have their hearts in His work." [5]

But there were also preachers who displeased Wesley, because they wanted honor, or money, or anything on earth. This is what Wesley said and that is not new in our days. Wesley makes this very real and strong statement to Joseph Taylor, on February 11, 1789: "No doubt, after I am gone, several of our preachers will leave the Church (Anglican Church); Maybe everyone who doesn't have a single eye — who wants honor, or money, or anything on earth." [6]

Wesley was pleased with the Irish preachers, for they were teachable: "I wish all our English preachers had the same spirit as the Irish, among whom there is not a discordant thread. I had never seen such simplicity and ease of teaching in a body of preachers before." [7] This is what Wesley wrote to his brother Charles Wesley, on May 2, 1783.

To Henry Moore, on June 1, 1790, Wesley states that not all preachers were really Methodists: "I never saw so much probability of doing good in Scotland as there is now, if all our preachers here were really Methodists." [8]

To W. H. Kilburn, on July 22, 1788, he wrote about reasons to praise God for the preachers appointed: "I think you will have reason to praise God for your preachers [The conference began on July 29. The nominations for Norwich were John Poole, Richard Reece and Thomas Kelk.] the following year. And we will not hesitate to help a little more". [9]

Preachers who pleased and others who displeased God and Wesley.

 

The Author

 

 

Me and the preachers feed with the poor in the same food and at the same table

 

I may add, four or five preachers; for I myself, as well as the other preachers who are in the city, feed with the poor in the same food and at the same table; and we rejoice here, as a comfort to eat bread together in our Father's kingdom

 

NEWINGTON, December 10, 1748.

2. In this (commonly called the House of the Poor) we now have nine widows, a blind woman, two poor children, two superior servants, a maidservant, and a man. I may add, four or five preachers; for I myself, as well as the other preachers who are in the city, feed with the poor in the same food and at the same table; and we rejoice here, as a comfort to eat bread together in our Father's kingdom. [10]

 

Strange and arched expressions in preaching

 

I hope you have dropped your strange, arched expressions in preaching, and that you speak as clearly and monotonously as one of us

 

For Thomas Wride

DARLINGTON, May 5. 1790.

DEAR TOMMY, -- It was a small thing for me, when I could ride, deviate a few miles from my path. But that time has passed. All I can do now is visit the major Societies. I hope to see our friends at Weardale and Barnard Castle, and I believe that will be the most I need to try.

I hope you have given up your strange, arched expressions in preaching, and that you speak as clearly and monotonously as one of us. [Wride was now in the Dales. See letter in December 1786 to Bradburn.] -- I am, dear Tommy,

Your affectionate friend and brother. [11]

 

Wesley began to read with his preachers

 

In December of this year, Wesley began to read with his preachers the Bishop of Cork's Procedure (or Progress), Extent, and Limits of Human Understanding, which he considered superior to Locke's treatise

 

For Samuel Furly

LONDON, February 18, 1756.

DEAR SAMMY, -- You are a very complacent person. I know in my small circle of acquaintances more than twenty who possess all the natural qualifications mentioned in the Address to the Clergy, and several others who possess a~ the qualifications acquired, either by education or by grace; and I would undertake to take any fourteen-year-old who has good natural abilities, and to teach him in seven years all that is needed there with a good degree of perfection.

Ex asks Herculem. You can easily see which Latin I write in one of the Dissertations in Jobum, [From his father. See the note to the letter of October 15, 1735.] or even by the brief conversation with Count Zinzendorf which is published in the Diary, [See Diary, ii. 488-90.] I don't know if I still have a theme or declamation. But why don't you speak Latin when you're with me? Do this, and you will see the excellence of Terence's tongue; while Tully would make you talk like a mere rigid pedant.

Randal's Geographical Grammar is by far the best compendium of geography I have ever seen; And you don't need anything else on this subject, adding only the terrestrial globe.

If you are Hutcheson's master, Francis Hutcheson (1694-1764), Professor of Moral Philosophy at Glasgow, expositions 729-46. His System of Moral Philosophy was published by his son in 1755. See the Diary, v. 492; and letter of March 14.] Metaphysics and Clerc [Jean Le Clerc (1657-1736), professor in Amsterdam.] Ontology, I advise you not to look any further out there; unless you add Malebranche's The Search for Truth [Nicolas Malebranche (1658-1715). His De la Recherche de la Vrit, 1674, considers God's intervention as necessary to bridge the gap between the human soul and the body. It is mentioned in the Discourse among the books to be read.] or the two books of the Bishop of Cork [In December of this year, Wesley began to read with his preachers the Procedure (or Progress), Extent, and Limits of Human Understanding of the Bishop of Cork, which he considered superior to Locke's treatise (see Diary, iv. 192; and for his earlier references, the letters of October 3, 1730, and February 13,  1731). Possibly the other recommended book was Things Divine and Supernatural Conceived by Analogy with Things Natural and Human, by Dr. Browne, 1733.] Again.

The main point is, above all, to study the Greek and Hebrew Bible, and the love of Christ. -- I am

With affection. [12]

 

Book sales depend on preachers

 

The sale of books depends on the preachers. Unless they make a point about it, nothing is done

 

To Alexander Clark

LONDON, January 12, 1773.

MY DEAR BROTHER,-- See, I was not mistaken. I said that Mr. Jaco would combine with the people of Dublin [See letter of August 10, 1772 to Clark]. But you don't take it so well. He is the right man, and he came at the right time. If he had come when I came, he could have done nothing; for the leaders were then beside themselves. And his distractions ended the life of Samuel Levick, one of the most sensible and kind men who breathe. But we recovered when Mr. Jacob arrived; thus, everything agreed for the recovery of the Society.

The sale of books depends on the preachers. Unless they make a point about it, nothing is done.--I'm

Your affectionate brother. [13]

 

Out of foolish complacency, our preachers in Scotland have often done harm

 

Out of foolish complacency, our preachers in Scotland have often done harm. Be every Methodist; and I strongly insist on the full salvation, to be received now by simple faith

 

To John Bredin

BRISTOL, September 18, 1773.

MY DEAR BROTHER,-- Observe and enforce all our Rules just as if you were in England or Ireland. Out of foolish complacency, our preachers in Scotland have often done harm. Be every Methodist; and I strongly insist on full salvation, to be received now by simple faith.--I am

With affection. [14]

 

I would be happy to have all our preachers taught, even by a dance master

 

I have no objection to that. If I could convince myself, I should be glad to have all our preachers taught, even by a dancing master, to bow and to go in and out of a room

 

BRISTOL, October 1, 1773.

DEAR JAMES,--Sister Haughton is a woman of integrity and desires to please God. I advise her to throw her head high into the fire than to suffer with one of the little ones. It will have no fewer scholars. God will repair it.

My mother would never allow one of her children to 'go to a dance school'. But she had a dancing master to go to her house, who taught us all what was sufficient in his presence. I have no objection to that. If I could convince myself, I should be glad to have all our preachers taught, even by a dancing master, to bow and to go in and out of a room.--I am, with love to Sister Barry, dear James,

Your affectionate friend and brother. [15]

 

We also agree that preachers who 'relax our obligation to the moral virtues'

 

Our guides are Scripture and reason. We also agree that preachers who relax our obligation to the moral virtues, who condemn holiness as filthy rags, who teach men that easy and palatable way to heaven of faith without works, cannot easily fail to have a multitude of hearers

 

To Samuel Sparrow

LONDON, December 28, 1773.

DEAR SIR,-- As for the head of the Authority, we fully agree. Our guides are Scripture and reason. We also agree that preachers who 'relax our obligation to the moral virtues, who condemn holiness as filthy rags, who teach men that easy and palatable way to heaven, of faith without works,' cannot easily fail to have a multitude of hearers; and that, therefore, it is not surprising that a large number of people throng in the church of Blackfriars and in the chapel of the Lock [William Romaine was Dean of St. Anne's, Blackfriars, from 1766 to 1795. Martin Madan was chaplain of Lock Hospital from 1750 to 1780; he published Thelyphthora, in favor of polygamy, in 1780].

There is also "only reason to accuse the preachers, both there and in the Tabernacle, of a grievous lack of charity." For most of them categorically hold all who do not believe as they believe are in a state of condemnation, all who do not believe in that absolute decree of election, which necessarily implies absolute reprobation.

But no one was induced to listen to my brother and me or those connected with us by such means as these: the contrary. We start from two principles: (1) No one goes to heaven without holiness of heart and life; (2) whoever comes after this (whatever his opinions) is my 'brother, sister, and mother.' And to this day, we have not deviated a hair from one of these two cases.

Thus, two young men without a name, without friends, without power or fortune, 'left the College with principles totally different from those of the common people', to face the whole world, learned and uneducated; to 'combat popular prejudices' of all kinds. Our first principle directly attacked all evil, the second all prejudice in the world. Thus they attempted a reform, not of opinions (penalties, trivialities that are not worth a name), but of the temperaments and lives of men; of addiction of all kinds; of everything that is contrary to justice, mercy, or truth. And that is why they carried their lives in their hands, that both the great vulgar and the little ones saw them as mad dogs and treated them as such; sometimes saying in terms, 'No one's going to hit this mad dog over the head'

Let each one then speak as to find it; As for me, I can admire neither the wisdom, nor the virtue, nor the happiness of humanity. Wherever I have been, I have met most of humanity, Christian and heathen, deplorably ignorant, cruel, and miserable. I'm sure it did in London and Westminster. Sin and pain are everywhere. And who can account for this but by the supposition that we are in a fallen state, I have amply proved that it cannot be explained otherwise. But no one need perish; for we have an all-powerful Saviour, one who is able and willing to save to the utmost all who have come to God through Him. "I am, dear sir, Your affectionate servant. [16]

 

Totally unfit to be a Methodist preacher

 

He was indeed a dangerous man. His bitter enmity against the Church made him utterly unfit to be a Methodist preacher

 

To Thomas Tattershall

NEAR LONDON, JANUARY 6, 1790.

DEAR TOMMY, -- Because you want some word that I write, though I have no news ready. I don't know any preacher who is ready to go out now; And you know we can neither buy nor hire preachers. Still, I don't regret that your little friend [William Green, your colleague. See the letter of October 25, 1789 to him.] he walked away; for he was indeed a dangerous man. His bitter enmity against the Church made him utterly unfit to be a Methodist preacher; and his elaborate Discourse against Going to Church was enough to confuse anyone who was not accustomed to controversy. Still, I didn't dare arrest him; But I don't regret the slightest thing that he left. I will not be bold to take it again; but in any other way I would be happy to help you. I wouldn't hesitate to give him a few pounds if it would do any benefit. "I... [17]

 

There are no circuits in England with more than four preachers

 

I am determined that there will be no circuits in England with more than four preachers as long as I live. Four is too many, if I could help it

 

For William Horner

LONDON, February 8, 1790.

DEAR BILLY, -- I am determined that there will be no circuits in England with more than four preachers as long as I live. Four is too many, if I could help it.

I would have no objection to having benches at Oxford under the gallery, but not elsewhere. I want our preaching houses to be different from all others.

Do not seek to be honored; Be content to be despised. I'm glad you are all friends in Witney and that you thrive in High Wycombe. -- I am, with love to Sister Horner,

Your affectionate friend and brother.

To Mr. William Horner, Preaching House,

Newing Hall, Oxford. [18]

 

So that there is no jealousy or coldness among the preachers

 

If you take care that the brethren do not fall out of the way, and that there is no jealousy or coldness among the preachers, but all of you go on in peace and harmony, there will be an increase of this everywhere

 

To William Black

March 1790.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- I am glad to hear that you have had some increase in the work of God in Halifax. If you take care that the brethren do not get at odds along the way, and that there is no jealousy or coldness among the preachers, but you all go on in peace and harmony, there will be an increase in this everywhere. I have high hopes that the days of cold and darkness are past, and that the Sun of Righteousness is rising over Nova Scotia as well. O shake the gift of God that is in you and wrestle with God in mighty prayer. He is doing great things in many parts of Europe, something that has not been seen for many generations [See letter of February 4.]; and the children of God expect to see greater things than these. I don't know if England has ever been in such a tranquil state before as it is now. It is up to us to wait for the openings of Divine Providence and follow its guidelines. -- I am

Your affectionate friend and brother. [19]

 

I wish we didn't have any circuit with fewer than three preachers in it

 

Nor am I in a hurry to multiply preachers or divide circuits. Most of our circuits are too small instead of too big. I wish we didn't have any circuit with less than three preachers on it or less than four hundred miles riding in four weeks

 

For Jasper Winscom

BRISTOL, March 13, 1790.

DEAR JASPER, The account of Thomas Whitwood [A young man on the Isle of Wight who died suddenly while screaming, whose terrible providence was followed by an outpouring of the Spirit upon the Society and the congregation.] is very remarkable, and the story is well told; and God did him much honor for the happy effects that were the consequences of his death. [A young man on the Isle of Wight who died suddenly while screaming, terrible providence followed by an outpouring of the Spirit upon the Society and the congregation.]

I am in no hurry to build without having paid some more of our debts. Nor am I in a hurry to multiply preachers or divide circuits. Most of our circuits are too small instead of too big. I wish we didn't have any circuit with less than three preachers on it or less than four hundred miles riding in four weeks. Certainly no circuit will be divided before the Conference. If we are not careful, we will all degenerate into vaissas. Soldiers of Christ, arise!

--I am, dear Jasper,

With affection.

To Mr. J. Winscom at the Preaching House in Sarum. [20] 

 

That the Conference has the right to position the preachers

 

Still, I must keep it, I beg you simply for it. 1. That the Conference has the right to position the preachers, the same as I have now; and which is secured for me by the scripture in question

 

For John Taylor

BRISTOL, March 4, 1789

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- I think we must end our friendly duel here, for neither can convince the other.

Still, I must keep it, I beg you simply for it. 1. That the Conference has the right to position the preachers, the same as I have now; and which is secured for me by the scripture in question.

2. This deed does not grant me ownership in any house, no, by this deed I lose ownership of the houses that were mine before.

3. Please consider this. These houses were my property until this deed happened. Since then, I have not owned any house in England. And that deed can transfer a property to the Conference, which has espoused me to it—I am

Your affectionate friend and brother. [21] 

 

Let the preachers stand firm together, and then the people will be regular

 

Let the preachers stand firm together, and then the people will be regular; But if any of you take your side against the preacher, it will all be confusion. Since you want that, you can come to the Conference

 

To Samuel Bardsley

CARLOW, April 26, 1789.

DEAR SAMMY, -- I am glad to know that the work of the Lord still prospers in your hands. But it takes a lot of stability, or you won't be able to keep up the good old Methodist discipline. Brother Rhodes desires to do this; And it will be right that you strengthen his hands on him. [See letter of January 7.] Let the preachers stand firm together, and then the people will be regular; But if any of you take your side against the preacher, it will all be confusion. Since you want that, you can come to the Conference. -- I am, dear Sammy,

Your affectionate brother. [22]

 

Ours are itinerant preachers

 

Ours are itinerant preachers; therefore, I can never consent to any of them remaining together for a month on the island. [The Isle of Wight.] If you can get the additional preacher to have full employment, then we can ask where one can be found.

 

For Jasper Winscom

LONDON, January 14, 1779.

MY DEAR BROTHER, - Ours are itinerant preachers; therefore, I can never consent to any of them remaining together for a month on the island. [The Isle of Wight.] If you can get the additional preacher to have full employment, then we can ask where one can be found.

It seems to me that you are taking the matter exactly right in regard to the Portsmouth preaching house, and that the only thing to do is to take the mortgage out of Mr. Pike's hands. - I'm

Your affectionate brother. [23]

 

Preachers who truly fear God and have their hearts in His work

 

I believe that you now have preachers who truly fear God and have their hearts in His work. Wishing You Would Experience All the Promises of Your Age

 

To Mrs. Johnston, Annandale, Lisleen

BRISTOL, September 24, 1779.

MY DEAR SISTER, - I have not heard a word of these accusations against John Howe, only that he did not run a race on a Sunday at some time. I ordered Mr. Watkinson to write to him about it. He did so, but could not get a clear answer. That was completely wrong. He should, at all costs, have responded immediately. But of the things you mention I know nothing; I haven't heard a single title. My judgment is that John Howe should order a lawyer to write to the man who assaulted him and to each who held his hands, saying that he has 'orders to bring an action for assault and injury against them, unless they ask forgiveness for the wrong of unlawful violence.'

I believe that you now have preachers who truly fear God and have their hearts in His work. Wishing you to experience all the promises of Your Age, I remain, my dear sister,

Your affectionate friend and brother.

I have not received any other letter from you than the one on the 9th of the present day. [24]

 

If preachers and leaders strongly exhort believers to press on to perfection

 

If preachers and leaders strongly exhort believers to press on to perfection, then all of God's work will prosper among you; otherwise, it will wither away

 

For Hannah Ball

LONDON, October 23, 1779.

MY DEAR SISTER, - Tomorrow night I will leave for Norwich [] and this little tour will take me two weeks in advance. Upon returning, I made an appointment to visit the classes, which requires two more weeks. I see no possibility, then, of opening the house, unless I get away from them for a few hours. I don't care about work; But I want time. So, with God's help, I will do it. On Tuesday at noon, November 9, I shall flee to Wycombe, preach at five o'clock in the evening, and then return to London. That way I can continue classes at six in the morning on Wednesday.

If preachers and leaders strongly exhort believers to press on to perfection, then all of God's work will prosper among you; otherwise, it will wither. - Yes, I am, my dear Hannah,

Your affectionate brother. [25]

 

If any of our itinerant pole-loving preachers

 

Sometimes we need to write and preach in a controversial way, but the less, the better. I think we have few, if any, of our itinerant preachers who love controversy

 

To Joseph Benson

LEWISHAM, July 31, 1773.

DEAR JOSEPH,-- I'm glad you preached so much abroad: this will be the greatest execution everywhere. Some time ago, I promised you Billy Thompson as your co-worker for the following year; And you will have no reason to regret it, for his heart (as well as yours) is in the work.

Mr Hopper is looking forward to spending another year at the Newcastle Circuit. I directed him to find out if it would not be enough to have preaching in Newcastle five nights a week.

'God has made practical divinity necessary, and the devil controversially.' [See the title of the letter in December 1751 to Bishop Lavington]. Sometimes we need to write and preach in a controversial way, but the less, the better. I think we have few, if any, of our itinerant preachers who love controversy. But there will always be men of pstë [Titus i. 11: 'whose mouths shall be stopped.']--Antinomians and Calvinists in particular. By our long silence we have done much harm both to them and to the cause of God. "I am, dear Joseph, your affectionate brother. [26]

 

Advantages we have reaped for many years from the constant change of preachers

 

Great are the advantages which we reap for many years from the constant change of preachers, but this cannot subsist any longer than the places of all preachers are assigned by one man or group of men

 

A printed notice.

MANCHESTER, April 12, 1788.

Great are the advantages which we reap for many years from the constant change of preachers, but this cannot subsist any longer than the places of all preachers are assigned by one man or group of men. Therefore, wherever the Trustees are to place and replace the preachers, this change, which we call Itinerancy, has come to an end.

It is for you, not for me, that I desire this to continue, and that the appointment of preachers, which now devolves upon me, shall be afterwards executed by the Conference, and not by the Trustees of either House.

It is possible that Roaming should continue by some other means

JOHN WESLEY.

That's all that happens, for the time being, between me and our brothers in Dewsbury. [27]

 

I wish I had a hundred preachers like him

 

My brother never knew the value of Dr. Coke as long as he lived. [Charles Wesley feared that Dr. Coke was leading his brother to take steps involving separation from the Church of England.] He wanted to have a hundred preachers like him.

 

For Peard Dickinson

CHESTER, April 15, 1788.

My dear brother, -- My brother never knew the value of Dr. Coke as long as he lived. [Charles Wesley feared that Dr. Coke was leading his brother to take steps involving separation from the Church of England.] He wanted to have a hundred preachers like him. If you expected me to die within the year, you shouldn't have printed such large issues. For you don't know who's going to buy them when I'm gone. [A new edition of the four volumes of Wesley's Sermons was published on January 1, 1788, and another four volumes of sermons were in preparation. See Green's Bibliography, no. 397.] As long as we live, we will truly live. I have little fear for Sally, a lot of hope for Charles (for whom I recently wrote) and a little for Sammy. He certainly fears God.

I'll have the songs printed as soon as possible. If the corrected copy is lost, they should be printed from the large copy; but the price must be only two shillings and sixpence. Consult T. Olivers where additional sermons may be inserted in the most appropriate way. [Songs left by Mr. Rhodes. See letter of March 13.] I have another one ready for the press and two more have already started. -- I am

Your affectionate brother. [28]

 

I desire our preachers to celebrate feasts of love and have nights of vigil

 

I desire that your house will be like another, and that our preachers will meet with the Society, celebrate feasts of love, and hold nights of vigil alternately

 

For the Millbourn Society

SUNDERLAND, May 31, 1788.

MY DEAR BRETHREN, -- All that you desire (unless I am mistaken) is exactly what I desire and intend to do. I desire that your house will be like another, and that our preachers will meet with the Society, celebrate feasts of love, and hold nights of vigil alternately. If I had to give preference to anyone, I would certainly give it to the house in Millbourn Place. [See letters of January 20, 1787, and October 1788 (to Peter Mill).] What do I want but to do all the good I can in my few remaining days? We've loved each other for a long time, and God forbid that something now separates you and

Your affectionate brother. [29]

 

Brother Hayter is accustomed to speaking against other preachers

 

If it be true that Brother Hayter is accustomed to speak against other preachers, as well as against Thomas Warwick, Brother Hayter and I will not agree. We can talk about dividing circuits at the Conference

 

For Jasper Winscorn

LONDON, July 16, 1788.

DEAR JASPER, -- If our whole Society in Portsmouth or elsewhere separates from the Church, I cannot help it. But I won't. Therefore, in no way can I consent to hold the service during church hours. You used to love the Church; So stand firm and urge all our people to do the same. If it be true that Brother Hayter is accustomed to speak against other preachers, as well as against Thomas Warwick, Brother Hayter and I will not agree. We can talk about dividing circuits at the Conference. -- I am, dear Jasper,

Your affectionate brother. [30]

 

Some of the preachers are at the base of this opposition

 

You judge correctly. There's a snake in the grass. Some of the preachers are at the base of this senseless opposition to this excellent Deed. [The Act of Declaration, 1784.] If possible, find out who they are. But if you do, your name will never be questioned in relation to it.

 

To Francis Wrigley

LONDON, July 16, 1788.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- You judge rightly. There's a snake in the grass. Some of the preachers are at the base of this senseless opposition to this excellent Deed. [The Act of Declaration, 1784.] If possible, find out who they are. But if you do, your name will never be questioned in relation to it.

You are also right about this continual division and subdivision of circuits. This will also be considered naturally if we live up to the Conference.

Sister Dutton is not entitled to anything from our Fund. She knows this well. But we usually give her a gift once a year. -- I am, dear Franky,

Your affectionate friend and brother.

To Mr. Wrigley, in the preaching house,

In Blackburn, Lancashire. [31]

 

I think you will have reason to praise God for your preachers

 

 I think you will have reason to praise God for your preachers [The conference began on July 29. The nominations for Norwich were John Poole, Richard Reece and Thomas Kelk.] the following year. And we will not hesitate to help a little more

 

For W. H. Kilburn

LONDON, July 22, 1788.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- I am glad to receive a letter from you for any reason; Because I love you, and I always love you. I think you will have reason to praise God for your preachers [The conference began on July 29. The nominations for Norwich were John Poole, Richard Reece and Thomas Kelk.] the following year. And we won't hesitate to help a little more. In time you will be able to help yourself. Just love one another and truly serve God—I am

Your affectionate brother. [32]

 

Soon it will revive if they have acceptable preachers

 

But I fully agree with you that it will soon revive if you have acceptable preachers. If he doesn't object too much, I'll nominate Josh. Cole, for example.

 

For Kitty Warren

NEAR LONDON, JULY 22, 1788.

MY DEAR SISTER, -- Our Conference will begin on the 20th of the present and continue until the middle of next month. ['Week.' It closed on August 6.] I intend, if God continues my life and health, to leave London on the following Monday—that is, August 4th. But I must go through Portsmouth to open the new preaching house.

So hopefully my little journey through Wales will be as follows:

Friday, August 8, Monmouth; Saturday, the 9th, Breton; Monday, 18, Carmarthen; Tuesday the 12th, Llangwain [Llwynygwair. See Diary, vii. 426-7.]; Wednesday, 13, Haverfordwest; Saturday, the 16th, Pembroke; Monday, 18, Carmarthen; Tuesday, 19, Swansea; Wednesday, 20, Cowbridge.

I am not surprised if Mr. Dufton [William Dufton was an assistant at Pembroke. The appointments were William Palmer, C. Bond, and Francis Truscott. Joseph Cole, who had been at Plymouth, went to Ayr and Dumfries.] he did not like the people, that the people did not like him; and in that case, God's work must be hindered. But I fully agree with you that it will soon revive if you have acceptable preachers. If he doesn't object too much, I'll nominate Josh. Cole, for example. Maybe you can find me in Llangwain. Peace be with all your spirits! -- I am, my dear sister,

With great affection. [33]

 

'By whom will the preachers sent from time to time to Dewsbury be judged?'

 

The question between us is, 'By whom will the preachers sent from time to time to Dewsbury be judged?' You say, 'By the healers.' I say, 'By their peers -- the preachers met in Conference

 

For the Trustees of Dewsbury

LONDON, July 30, 1788.

MY DEAR BRETHREN, -- The question between us is, 'By whom will the preachers sent from time to time to Dewsbury be judged?' You say, 'By the healers.' I say, 'By your peers -- the preachers met in Conference.' You say, 'Deliver this, and we will receive you.' I say, 'I can't, I don't dare, give up on this.' Therefore, if you do not receive them on these terms, you waive your connection with

Your affectionate brother. [34] 

 

I do not require any of our preachers to take leave either for themselves or for the places where they preach

 

I do not require any of our preachers to take leave either for themselves or for the places where they preach. [For the act, see Tyerman'a Wesley, iii. In fact, a cheeky young man in Northamptonshire caused himself some trouble by preaching in church time, so close to the church that it upset both the minister and the congregation. But this need not frighten any other of our preachers

 

To Sarah Mallet

LONDON, August 2, 1788.

MY DEAR SISTER, -- Let me know at any time what books you wish to have, and I will order them to be sent to you. [See letters of March 11 and December 26.] It is a pleasure for me if I can show in something the respect I have for you, for I am firmly convinced that you have a conscience void of offense against God and man. I do not doubt that you have given God your heart, and desire in all things to do His holy and acceptable will. But if so, it is no wonder that you would come across crosses, both from the devil and from his children, especially since you believe you are called by God to give a public testimony against Him. But you are much more in danger of applause than of censure; And it's good for you that one balances the other. But I trust that you will never get tired of doing well. Over time, it will reap if it does not faint. Whoever praises or belittles, it is up to you to move forward, speaking the truth with love. I do not require any of our preachers to take leave either for themselves or for the places where they preach. [For the act, see Tyerman'a Wesley, iii. In fact, a cheeky young man in Northamptonshire caused himself some trouble by preaching in church time, so close to the church that it upset both the minister and the congregation. But this need not frighten any other of our preachers. They remain as safe as before. Go, therefore, and fear nothing but sin. And let me know if there's anything I can help you with, which will be a pleasure, dear Sally,

With affection.

Your affectionate friend and brother. [35]

 

All our preachers were single men, when, in time, some of them married

 

Fifty years ago, and for several years afterward, all our preachers were single men, when, in time, some of them married. Those with whom they worked maintained both themselves and their wives, and there was no fixed allowance for either of them.

 

To our Companies in England and Ireland

LONDON, August 2, 1788.

Fifty years ago, and for several years afterward, all our preachers were single men, when, in time, some of them married. Those with whom they worked maintained both themselves and their wives, and there was no fixed allowance for either of them. But more than thirty years ago it was considered more convenient to fix a declared concession for both; And this was discovered by the circuits where they were stationed, until one year some of them complained of poverty. Dr. Coke and I provided what was missing. The following year the number of wives increased, three or four of them were provided by the Contingent Fund. This was a bad precedent, for more and more wives were thrown over this fund, until it was likely to be swallowed up by it. We can think of no other way of avoiding this, but to consider the state of our Societies in England and Ireland, and to implore the members of each circuit to offer us such assistance as they can easily make without injuring their families.

In these fifty years the substance of the Methodists increases in proportion to their number. Therefore, if you are not tight in your own intestines, it will not be a complaint, but will cheerfully give food and clothing to those who give all their time, strength, and labor to your service. [36]


Surely preachers should not kill themselves

 

What can be done now, I can't say. But surely preachers should not kill themselves. Cut back on as much of the Sunday service as you like, and I won't blame you. I don't see why the collection wouldn't be done at six, with a small preamble telling the real case. That might be just as good an answer

 

To Joseph Cownley

LONDON, October 12, 1788.

DEAR JOSEPH, -- I really think you have scarcely had as much scandal as could be expected to be on your part. I've heard few faults found in you for more than forty years, and I don't think you and I have yet to have a single fight. So it's very likely that we never will.

What is related to expenses we can correct. But the other evil is more difficult to correct, because many of the preachers, especially in Scotland, are beyond my control. I never wanted them to have work three times a day; I knew it would be too hard for most of them. I never advised them to symbolize [Agree in belief or practice. Heal says of Hooper: 'To continue the wearing of his garments was, in his opinion, to symbolize with Antichrist' (History of the Puritans, i. 69).] with the Scots. I spoke several times. It was unnecessary. Perhaps we would have done it in Scotland, just as we did in England. Dr. Hamilton was already convinced of this. What can be done now, I can't say. But surely preachers should not kill themselves. Cut back on as much of the Sunday service as you like, and I won't blame you. I don't see why the collection wouldn't be done at six, with a small preamble telling the real case. That can be just as good an answer. Tell me everything. Say, 'Mr. Wesley commands me not to kill myself.'

Dr. Coke forgot, but now he's writing his letters of orders. -- I always have been, dear Joseph,

Your affectionate friend and brother. [37]

 

We suffer many inconveniences in accepting more preachers than we can keep

 

We have suffered many inconveniences in accepting more preachers than we can keep, or even employ, without their staying in one place longer than was good for them or for the people. And this is the wrong time of year to send young preachers, especially to the marshes of Lincolnshire.

 

To Thomas Carlill

[Noveraber 1788.]

DEAR TOMMY, -- We have suffered many inconveniences in accepting more preachers than we can keep, or even employ, without their staying in one place longer than was good for them or for the people. And this is the wrong time of year to send young preachers, especially to the marshes of Lincolnshire. Therefore, you should make the best possible move to work in the spring.

I'm glad to know that you remain in love and at peace with each other.

All our brothers and sisters must pray fervently and continuously for the King. Nothing but God's mighty power can restore it. -- I am, dear Tommy,

Your affectionate friend and brother. [38]

 

Some in Redruth were prone to despise and very willing to rule over their preachers

 

For many years it has been observed that some in Redruth were prone to despise and too disposed to rule over their preachers

 

To Benjamin Rhodes

LONDON, November 6, 1788.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- I am glad to hear that Sister Rhodes is beginning to regain her strength. It has been observed for many years that some in Redruth were prone to despise and very disposed to rule their preachers. But I congratulate you for taking your place and changing both general and private managers. [See letter of January 7, 1789.]

The case of Rd. Phillips refers entirely to you. But if his gifts are tolerable (as we thought in London), let him not be oppressed. [Benjamin Rhodes, Samuel Bardsley, and Richard Phillips (who had been admitted to trial at the London Conference in August) were appointed in Redruth.] -- I am, with love to Sister Rhodes,

Your affectionate friend and brother. [39]

 

One of our preachers informs me that he is willing to go to any part of Africa or America

 

One of our preachers informs me that he is willing to go to any part of Africa or America. He does not consider danger or work; nor, indeed, does he consider his life precious to himself, that he may witness to the gospel of God's grace and win sinners to Christ

 

To William Black

LONDON, February 26, 1783.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- I, INDEED, HAVE ARGUED VERY STRONGLY WITH THE BISHOP OF LONDON [See letter of August 10, 1780.] about his refusal to ordain a pious man unknowingly while ordaining others who, so far as I know, had no piety and only a moderate share of knowledge. I tend to think that this letter will appear in public... in a while.

Our next Conference will begin in July; And I have high hopes that then we can send help to you. One of our preachers informs me that he is willing to go to any part of Africa or America. He does not consider danger or work; nor, indeed, does he consider his life precious to himself, that he may witness to the gospel of God's grace and win sinners to Christ. But I can't advise anyone to go it alone. Our Lord sent His disciples two and two. And I do not despair of finding another young man as dedicated to God as he is.

The Antinomian [The Rev. Henry Alline, of Falmouth, Nova Scotia. Seventy withdrew from the Methodist Society at Amherst in 1782 and joined it. He died early, and the churches he had founded soon went into decline. See letter of July 13.] you mentioned that it must be guarded with all possible diligence; otherwise, it will cause more pain in a year than it can do good in twenty. And it is well that he who calls himself Lady Huntingdon's preacher does not do as much harm as he does. Calvinism, Mysticism, and Antinomianism have a concern; for they are the plague of true religion, and one of them has been the great hindrance to the work of God wherever it has arisen.

If you come to England, we will make room for you in Kingswood. Peace be with all your spirits. -- I am, my dear brother,

Your affectionate brother. [40]

 

I wish all our English preachers had the same spirit as the Irish

 

I wish all our English preachers were of the same spirit as the Irish, among whom there is not a discordant thread. I had never seen such simplicity and ease of teaching in a body of preachers before

 

To your brother Charles

DUBLIN, May 2, 1783.

DEAR BROTHER, -- In three or four days we expect to embark. When we land, you can hear farther; but in a venture you may direct to Chester: and forget not the verses.

I am amazed that Miss Helena S. Freeman did not answer my letters. [See the April 25 letter to him.] Certainly she doesn't feel offended by anything. We parted ways in a lot of friendship. I think you'll really stay out of debt as long as I live, if you give me any tips once in a while. We must definitely inform Mr. Abraham [This note was written by Charles Wesley in the letter: 'The clergyman who accompanied me on my first trip to Londonderry. He returned to London, but was quite uncontrollable. I saw him there in 1784.'] fall, and both his relations with him and near him. I hope T.M. satisfies Dr. Coca-Cola. I suppose she loses her annuity if she owns the marriage.

I did not see Mr. Barnard. [See letter of May 12, 1785.] We had an extremely happy Conference, which ended this morning. I wish all our English preachers were of the same spirit as the Irish, among whom there is not a discordant thread. I had never seen such simplicity and ease of teaching in a body of preachers before.

Tell me all you know about the good Congress, the Loyalists, and the Colonies. Peace be with you and yours! Goodbye! [41]

 

Totally unfit to be a Methodist preacher

 

And you know we can neither buy nor hire preachers. Still, I don't regret that your little friend walked away; for he was indeed a dangerous man. His bitter enmity against the Church made him utterly unfit to be a Methodist preacher

 

To Thomas Tattershall

NEAR LONDON, JANUARY 6, 1790.

DEAR TOMMY, -- Because you want some word that I write, though I have no news ready. I don't know any preacher who is ready to go out now; And you know we can neither buy nor hire preachers. Still, I don't regret that your little friend [William Green, your colleague. See the letter of October 25, 1789 to him.] he walked away; for he was indeed a dangerous man. His bitter enmity against the Church made him utterly unfit to be a Methodist preacher; and his elaborate Discourse against Going to Church was enough to confuse anyone who was not accustomed to controversy. Still, I didn't dare arrest him; But I don't regret the slightest thing that he left. I will not be bold to take it again; but in any other way I would be happy to help you. I wouldn't hesitate to give him a few pounds if it would do any benefit. -- I am, dear Tommy,

Your affectionate friend and brother. [42]

 

I am determined that there should be no circuits in England with more than four preachers

 

I am determined that there will be no circuits in England with more than four preachers as long as I live. Four is too many, if I could help it

 

For William Horner

LONDON, February 8, 1790.

DEAR BILLY, -- I am determined that there will be no circuits in England with more than four preachers as long as I live. Four is too many, if I could help it.

I would have no objection to having benches at Oxford under the gallery, but not elsewhere. I want our preaching houses to be different from all others.

Do not seek to be honored; Be content to be despised. I'm glad you are all friends in Witney and that you thrive in High Wycombe. -- I am, with love to Sister Horner,

Your affectionate friend and brother.

To Mr. William Horner, Preaching House,

Newing Hall, Oxford. [43]

 

On the Appointment of Preachers

 

With regard to the House of Dewsbury, there was never any dispute over the ownership of the preaching houses (this was an artistic misrepresentation), but only over the appointment of preachers in them

 

To Whom It May Concern

LONDON, February 25, 1790.

In August, 1788, Mr. Atlay wrote to me: 'I must look for another servant, for he was going to Dewsbury on the 25th of September.' I was so far from 'sending him away' that I didn't know anything about it until that time. But then I said to him, 'Go and serve them'; seeing that I found out that he would no longer serve me.

He sent me notice that I had in London 13,751 18s. 5d. of stock in books. [See letter of September 4, 1788.] Wanting to know exactly, I hired two booksellers to do a count of my stock. The report they brought, on October 31, 1788, was:

Stock value, except errors, 4,827 10s. 5d. John Parsons, Thomas Scollick.

Why did John Atlay so wonderfully overestimate my reputation? Certainly to honor me in the eyes of the world.

I never approved of his going to Dewsbury; but I submitted to what I could not avoid.

With regard to the House of Dewsbury, there was never dispute over the ownership of the preaching houses (this was an artistic misrepresentation), but only over the appointment of preachers in them.

If John Atlay wants to throw more dirt on me, I don't know if I'll take any care to clean it up. [See letter of May 12.] I have only a few days to live; and I wish to spend these moments in peace. [44]

 

So that there is no jealousy or coldness among the preachers

 

If you take care that the brethren do not fall out of the way, and that there is no jealousy or coldness among the preachers, but all of you go on in peace and harmony, there will be an increase of this everywhere

 

To William Black

March 1790.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- I am glad to hear that you have had some increase in the work of God in Halifax. If you take care that the brethren do not get at odds along the way, and that there is no jealousy or coldness among the preachers, but you all go on in peace and harmony, there will be an increase in this everywhere. I have high hopes that the days of cold and darkness are past, and that the Sun of Righteousness is rising over Nova Scotia as well. O shake the gift of God that is in you and wrestle with God in mighty prayer. He is doing great things in many parts of Europe, something that has not been seen for many generations [See letter of February 4.]; and the children of God expect to see greater things than these. I don't know if England has ever been in such a tranquil state before as it is now. It is up to us to wait for the openings of Divine Providence and follow its guidelines. -- I am

Your affectionate friend and brother. [45]

 

How cruelly it was used by me and the preachers

 

John Atlay continues with praise, saying all that will give him the audience how cruelly he was used by me and the preachers after serving me faithfully for so many years. He doesn't care much about the truth

 

To Mr. Andrews

HALIFAX, April 20, 1790.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- John Atlay goes on with praise, saying all that the audience will give him how cruelly he has been used by me and the preachers after serving me faithfully for so many years. He does not care much about the truth, but affirms everything he thinks will serve his cause. But it is enough for Him who is superior to the highest to consider it, and in due time He will make His power known. I am glad to know that God's work prospers in his circuit. And here it is the same, despite all the efforts that these little friends make to make it difficult. In time, God will command all of these things to work together for good. -- I am

Always yours. [46]

 

I have no objection to you being on an English circuit next year

 

I have no objection to your being in an English circuit next year, [He was appointed to the Dales Circuit in 1790.] for Brother Brown is staying in another on the island; which I suppose can be supplied by three preachers this year, since it was the last

 

To George Holder

ABERDEEN, May 24, 1790.

DEAR GEORGE, -- I have no objection to your being in an English circuit next year, [He was appointed to the Dales Circuit in 1790.] because Brother Brown is staying in another on the island; which I suppose can be supplied by three preachers this year, since it was the last. When wit told the world about me being on the water in Portsmouth, I was three or four hundred miles away. Be zealous for God, and everyone will see the fruit of your labor. -- I am, dear George,

Your affectionate friend and brother. [47]

 

If all our preachers here were really Methodists

 

I never saw so much probability of doing good in Scotland as there is now, if all our preachers here were really Methodists

To Henry Moore

DUMFRIES, June 1, 1790.

DEAR HENRY, -- Then I am again on the borders of England. My vision is pretty much as it was before; but I doubt if I will not recover my strength until I use that noble remedy [See letter of April 11] preaching in the morning. But where can we put poor Adam Clarke? He must not preach to death; And which circuit is he equal to, where he can rest as much as work? The best place I can think of right now is Leeds. [Clarke went to Dublin. See July 31 letter to John King.]

The last words of the Prince of Orange are very present in my mind: 'Lord, have mercy on the people!' [William the Silent, murdered in 1584.]

I never saw so much probability of doing good in Scotland as there is now, if all our preachers here were really Methodists.

My dear Henry, love me as best you can. -- I am, dear Henry,

Your affectionate friend and brother. [48]

 

If you married, go to one of our preachers

 

And, indeed, I hoped that if you married, it would be to one of our preachers; So I could have put you on some circuit where I would have had frequent opportunities to talk to you

 

For Mrs. Cock

DUBLIN, April 7, 1789.

MY DEAR SISTER, -- I cannot help saying that this worried me when I first learned that you were married; because I was afraid that you were less useful than you might have been in a single life. And, indeed, I hoped that if you married, it would be to one of our preachers; So I could have put you in some circuit where I would have had frequent opportunities to talk to you. I'm glad, though, that you're still happy in God. If you had married an ungodly man, it would certainly have been a sin. But it was not a sin to marry a child of God—yes, even though he was only a babe in Christ. And surely, if you pray mightily for him, the Lord will hear your prayer, and supply what is still lacking in your faith, until he is happy, holy, and perfect in love. I hope there is no timidity between you and Mr. or Mrs. Clarke. And do you talk freely with the other preachers? Do you find yourself in the band? I hope you still meet Miss Helena. Lempriere and (I think her friend's name is) Mrs. Saumarez. [Adam Clarke wrote on January 13: 'Jane Cock is still well and happy. Ms. Saumarez gains ground. Miss Helena Sánchez. Lempriere is very upright, but very shy.' See August 3 letter to Mrs. Cock.] I want you and them to continually grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. Oh, let's improve this period of life as much as possible!

Your fondly tender. [49]


I would not employ such an apostle if he could not preach in the morning

 

You don't know what I usually say: I wouldn't employ such an apostle if he couldn't preach in the morning. And he cannot do that. Nor is it able, if it wants to, to maintain a circuit regularly

 

To Joseph Taylor

LIVBRPOOL, April 7, 1785.

DEAR JOSEPH, - I do not see that I can in conscience employ Brother Thomas [Taylor] was the Assistant at Gloucester, with Barnabas Thomas as his colleague. Thomas went to Oxfordshire at the next Conference. See the letter of March 25.] as an itinerant preacher. You don't know what I usually say: I wouldn't employ such an apostle if he couldn't preach in the morning. And he cannot do that. Nor is it able, if it wants to, to maintain a circuit on a regular basis. Be faithful to God and to the people, and to your own soul! And keep an active and zealous man, Mr. McGeary, [See letters of February 25, 1785 (addressed to John Stretton) and February 20, 1787.] as long as you have him. Otherwise, a preacher is missing from the Canterbury Circuit. I am grateful for the account of Brother Tregellas ['Some account of the death of Mr. John Tregellas, of St. Agnes, in Cornwall,' who died April 28, 1784, aged twenty-one, appeared in the Arminian Magazine, 1786, pp. 149-50, signed 'Joseph Taylor, Gretton, April 2, 1785.']; and I am, dear Joseph,

Your affectionate friend and brother. [50]

 

If the Conference did not provide them with preachers

 

It was the first occasion of the division at Dewsbury as he sent a message to the trustees that if the Conference did not provide them with preachers, he himself would come and settle among them

 

For Duncan McAllum

LONDON, January 20, 1789.

DEAR DUNCAN,--By all means, choose the Trustees without delay; And let it be those who belong to the circuit, only those you can trust for both judgment and honesty. I think it is through prayer that you should alter the purpose of the Earl of Findlater. [For the late Earl's care of his estates around Banff, see Diary, vi. 10.] I am not at all surprised by John Atlay's behavior. In a year or two he will find out if he has changed for the better. It was the first occasion of the division at Dewsbury in sending a message to the trustees that if the Conference did not provide them with preachers, he himself would come and settle among them. [See letter of August 25, 1788.] I am, with love for Sister McAllum, your affectionate friend and brother. To the Rev. Mr. McAllum, Inverness, [51]


Several of our preachers will leave the Church

 

No doubt, after I am gone, several of our preachers will leave the Church; Perhaps everyone who does not have a single eye —who desires honor, or money, or anything on earth

 

To Joseph Taylor

LONDON, February 11, 1789.

DEAR JOSEPH, -- I'm glad to hear that the little obstacles in your circuit have been so happily removed. [See letter of November 16, 1788.] No doubt, after I am gone, several of our preachers will leave the Church; Maybe everyone who doesn't have a single eye — who wants honor, or money, or anything on earth. But I hope I don't live to see it. While I'm here, let's go the old way.

There is no danger of me seeing Nottingham this year. On March 2nd I hope to be in Bath, on March 4 in Bristol, on March 17 in Gloucester, on March 21 in Birmingham and then in Dublin as soon as I can. -- I am, dear Joseph,

Your affectionate friend and brother. [52]

 

Preachers, most of whom were truly devoted to God

 

Thirty years ago we had thirty or forty preachers, most of whom were truly devoted to God; but one or two of them have departed from us, loving the present world

 

To John Stretton

LONDON, February 27, 1789.

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- Thirty years ago we had thirty or forty preachers, most of whom were truly devoted to God; but one or two of them have departed from us, loving the present world. At present we have in Great Britain and Ireland about two hundred itinerant preachers, and there are probably three or four of them whose hearts are not in agreement with God; but we do not know; We have no proof of this, or we should keep it.

I don't know if Henry Brians has any gift for preaching or wants it. Samuel Woods, I don't remember anything. But in a few days I will probably leave for Ireland.

What happens to James Wray [See letter of June 30, 1788 to John Mann.] He is dead or alive, I don't know that I received a letter from him more than twelve months ago.

What worries me is that I can't find any unity among you northern preachers. John Hoskins, John McGeary and

John Stretton, I imagine, would have acted in concert; On the contrary, each seems to be afraid of the other. How is that What real reason for this timidity What objections do you have to John Hoskins or John McGeary What objections do you have to you It's a shame but you all spoke freely

Your affectionate brother. [53]

 

That the Conference has the right to position the preachers

 

That the Conference has the right to position the preachers, the same as I have now; and which is secured for me by the scripture in question

 

For John Taylor

BRISTOL, March 4, 1789

MY DEAR BROTHER, -- I think we must end our friendly duel here, for neither can convince the other.

Still, I must keep it, I beg you simply for it. 1. That the Conference has the right to position the preachers, the same as I have now; and which is secured for me by the scripture in question.

2. This deed does not grant me ownership in any house, no, by this deed I lose ownership of the houses that were mine before.

3. Please consider this. These houses were my property until this deed happened. Since then, I have not owned any house in England. And that deed can transfer a property to the Conference, which has espoused me to it—I am

Your affectionate friend and brother.

To Mr. John Taylor, [54]

 

Accept Some Married Preachers

 

It is very likely that we will have to accept some married preachers if we live to see another Conference

 

For John Broadbent

LONDON, February 23, 1785.

MY DEAR BROTHER, "Be careful not to scream again, unless you want to kill yourself at once."

It is very likely that we will have to accept some married preachers if we live to see another Conference. The following week, I left for Bristol. From there (after a few days of stopover) I need to make the most of my way to Ireland.

On the division of the circuit, [Dewsbury was divided from Birstall at the Conference of 1785. See letter of March 4, 1786, to Samuel Bardsley regarding the division of circuits.] I can answer you and our brother together. I really like the proposal, especially because it would give a little more walk to our preachers. But I seldom divide circuits, except at a Conference; Because I am willing to listen to what can be said on both sides. - I'm

Your affectionate friend and brother. [55]

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



[1] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1788/

[2] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[3] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1748/

[4] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/

[5] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1779/

[6] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[7] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1783/

[8] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/

[9] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1788/

[10] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1748/

[11] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/

[12] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1756/

[13] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1773/

[14] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1773/

[15] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1773/

[16] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1773/

[17] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/

[18] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/

[19] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/

[20] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/  

[21] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/  

[22] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/ 

[23] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1779/  

[24] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1779/ 

[25] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1779/  

[26] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1773/  

[27] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1788/  

[28] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1788/ 

[29] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1788/  

[30] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1788/  

[31] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1788/  

[32] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1788/  

[33] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1788/ 

[34] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1788/ 

[35] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1788/ 

[36] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1788/  

[37] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1788/ 

[38] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1788/ 

[39] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1788/ /

[40] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1783/  

[41] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1783/  

[42] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/  

[43] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/ 

[44] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790. John Atlay (1736–c. 1805) was an itinerant preacher and administrator of the John Wesley Book Press.  "Although he served as one of John Wesley's most trusted men, he eventually broke with the movement and published letters with accusations against the Methodist leadership and system."[44] The source of his dissatisfaction was that in 1784, "Atlay was deeply offended at not having his name included in  Wesley's 'Deed of Declaration.'"[44]  

 [45] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/  

[46] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/  

[47] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/ 

[48] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/  

[49] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/ 

[50] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1785/ 

[51] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/  

[52] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/ 

[53] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/  

[54] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/  

[55] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1785/

 

 

Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas deste blog