Methodism and the Early Biblical Christianity 

 

Based on Wesley's Diary

 

 Odilon Massolar Chaves

 

 ===============================

 

 

 

Copyright © 2025, Odilon Massolar Chaves

All rights reserved to the author.

It is allowed to read, copy and share for free

Article 184 of the Penal Code and Law 96710 of February 19, 1998.

Book based on John Wesley's explanatory notes on the Bible

Books published in the Wesleyan Digital Library: 459

Books published by the author: 567

Booklets: 3

Address: https://www.blogger.com/blog/stats/week/2777667065980939692

Translator: Google

Cover: Image: John Wesley preaching at his father's tomb: in the churchyard at Epworth, Sunday, June 6, 1742 | Currier & Ives

All glory to God!

Odilon Massolar Chaves is a retired Methodist pastor, with a doctorate in Theology and History from the Methodist University of São Paulo.

His thesis dealt with the Methodist revival in England in the eighteenth century and its contribution as a paradigm for our days.

He was editor of the official Methodist newspaper and coordinator of the Theology Course.

Copyright Statement: These files are in the public domain and are derived from an electronic edition that is available on the Ethereal Library of Christian Classics website.

Rio de Janeiro – Brazil

 

 

===============================

 

Table of Contents

 

·       Introduction

·       Main themes of the book's chapters

·       Methodism: Early Biblical Christianity

·       Caring for the classes, health and the poor

·       Great movement between dry bones

·       Pleasant visits

·       Facing the enemy

·       Death of Charles Wesley

·       About a thousand children from Sunday Schools

·       On Methodism

·       Open doors for Wesley

·       Wesley's mission in a time of declining health

·       Prophecies about Wesley's last year of life

·       God's Power in the Congregation

·       The Original Purpose of Methodism

·       Wesley enters his 86th year of life

·       Assuming it's the last time

·       The Itinerants and the Preaching Houses

·       Preaching in new times

.

===============================

Introduction

===============================

 

"Methodism and Early Biblical Christianity" is a 68-page book based on Wesley's journal.

For Wesley, Methodism was similar to the Christianity of the time of the apostles. It was always his purpose with Methodism.

Wesley said: "Later I gave an account of the rise of Methodism (which is early Bible Christianity) to the whole congregation, of how the truth will be told in the open, and love will appear in the sunlight.

Wesley further said, "There is no other religious society under heaven, which requires nothing of men for the object of their admission but the desire to save their souls. Look around you and you may notice that you cannot be admitted to a church, or society of Presbyterians, Anabaptists, Quakers, or any other, unless you embrace the same opinions as them and the same modes of worship.

It was his purpose that Methodism should recover primitive Christianity. "In a sermon in 1777, "On the Laying of the Foundation of the New Chapel, near the City-Road, London," Mr. Wesley reiterated his praise of early Christianity and also emphasized a claim he had been making throughout his career as a leader of Methodism, namely, the claim that the true identity of Methodism is a movement to recover early Christianity."[1]

This book recounts part of the 80s of Wesley's life, when the tide had turned, to quote a phrase of his.

It was a period when Wesley began to experience health difficulties and there was prophecy about his death. It was also when Carlos Wesley passed away.

But it was a new time with doors opening for Wesley.

A book that encourages us not to give up.

 

The Author  

 

 

===============================

Main themes of the book's chapters

===============================

 

Methodism: Early Biblical Christianity

Later, I gave an account of the rise of Methodism (which is early biblical Christianity) to the whole congregation, of how the truth will be told in the open, and love will appear in the sunlight.

Caring for the classes, health and the poor

Over the next few days, I visited the classes. I was careful to obtain an accurate account of the society. I was surprised to find only one hundred and fifty-nine. I believe they are twice as many in number. And I hope, with God's help, that in four months I will not see anyone in need of food or clothing

Great movement between dry bones

There has been a great deal of movement lately among the dry bones in this place. The congregations are increasing a lot and are listening with deep attention; and several members have been added to society

Pleasant visits

Dr. Coke and I had dinner at the governor's house. I was happy to have another company. We talked frankly for more than an hour with a sensitive, well-mannered, and pleasant man. In the evening, I preached to the largest congregation I have ever seen.

Facing the enemy

A voice rose vehemently in the midst of the congregation. The terror and confusion were inexplicable. You could even imagine that it was a storm-stricken city. The people rushed over each other with such violence, the pews being torn to pieces, and nine-tenths of the congregation seemed to be stricken with the same panic. In about five minutes the storm ceased as quickly as it rose and everyone was calm, so I proceeded without the slightest interruption.

Death of Charles Wesley

The Methodists here have, by way of beneficence, utterly silenced the ignorance of foolish men, so that they are now abundantly more in danger, owing to honour than to dishonour. On March 29, Reverend Charles Wesley died at the age of 79.

About a thousand children from Sunday Schools

At eight o'clock and at one o'clock in the afternoon, the house was completely full. About one o'clock in the afternoon, I met about nine hundred to a thousand children who belong to the Sunday Schools. I have never had such a vision before. All were clean and simple in their appearances. All serious and well-behaved. Many – boys and girls – are beautiful and I believe that England is not even Europe

On Methodism

There is no other religious society under heaven that requires nothing of men for the purpose of their admission but the desire to save their souls. Look around you and you may notice that you cannot be admitted to a church, or society of Presbyterians, Anabaptists, Quakers, or any other, unless you embrace the same opinions as them and the same modes of worship. Only the Methodists do not insist that you embrace this or that opinion, but think and let you think. Nor do they impose any particular mode of worship, but you continue to worship in your former way, whatever that may be.

Open doors for Wesley

Mr. Clark, vicar, invited me to preach in the High Church; and I preached (which occurred to me in the Service of the day) what it is to build our house upon the rock and applied it as strongly as I could

Wesley's mission in a time of declining health

I have found, likewise, some decline in my memory, with respect to names and things lately past, but not with respect to what I have read or heard in these twenty, forty, or sixty years; nor do I find a decline in my hearing, taste, or appetite (though I need the third part of the food I once needed); nor do I feel such a thing as weakness, not even when traveling or preaching.

Prophecies about Wesley's last year of life

If, according to some of these prophecies, this is the last year of my life, I hope it will be the best! I am not concerned about it, but I gladly receive the warning of the angel in Milton: "how well thou art; as long as the heavens permit!"

God's Power in the Congregation

There was much of God's power in the congregation, morning and evening, as well as on Monday afternoon, which gave me good hope that God will continue his own work. In view of the sincere importunity of our friends, on Wednesday, the 26th, I inaugurated the new preaching house in Rye. It is a noble building, much more imposing than most of our houses, and finely situated at the head of the city.

The Original Purpose of Methodism

I then met with the society and explained to them about the original purpose of Methodism, namely, not to be a dissenting party, but to encourage all groups, Christians and atheists, to worship God in spirit and truth; in particular, the Church of England, to which they belonged from the beginning. With this vision, I have uniformly continued for fifty years

Wesley enters his 86th year of life

What I must fear, if I consider the next day, is that my body may oppress my mind, so as to create both obstinacy by the diminution of my discernment, and grumpy by the increase of the infirmities of the body, but you can answer me, O Lord my God!

Assuming it's the last time

I preached again, morning and evening, in the amphitheater, I suppose, for the last time. My voice cannot now command the still growing crowd. Supposing it were well over twenty-five thousand, it would hardly be possible that everyone could hear me.

The Itinerants and the Preaching Houses

As the number of preachers increased, the difficulty of fixing the places where each one would work from time to time increased. I have often wished to transfer this task of placing the preachers, once a year or so, to themselves. But no one was willing to accept it. So I carried this burden until my fight was completed.

Preaching in new times

The dissenting minister in Towcester offered me the use of his church, and it was crowded; I believe our Lord was present. From there we went to Northampton, where I spent two afternoons with great satisfaction, though the great man who was so touched at Bath last year, was, as I had hoped, ashamed to see me.

 

 

===============================

 

Methodism: Early Biblical Christianity

 

Later, I gave an account of the rise of Methodism (which is early biblical Christianity) to the whole congregation, of how the truth will be told in the open, and love will appear in the sunlight.

===============================

 

07/02 – Sunday.

Later, I gave an account of the rise of Methodism (which is early biblical Christianity) to the entire congregation

 I read the prayers, preached, and administered the sacrament to six or seven hundred hearers. It was a solemn moment. I preached just after five o'clock in the afternoon on, "There is joy in heaven, when a sinner repents." Later, I gave an account of the rise of Methodism (which is early biblical Christianity) to the whole congregation, of how the truth will be told in the open, and love will appear in the sunlight.

 08/31 – Monday.

The conference met again and concluded on Tuesday morning

The conference met again and concluded on Tuesday morning. Many had high expectations that we would have heated debates, but by God's mercy we had none. Everything went very calmly and we left as we arrived, in peace and love.

 09/25 – Monday.

Now I have actually applied myself to writing the "Life of Mr. Fletcher"

We took the carriage in the afternoon, and on Tuesday morning we reached London. Now I have actually applied myself to writing the "Life of Mr. Fletcher" and have looked for the best materials I could. To this I dedicated all the time I could save until November, from five o'clock in the morning to eight o'clock at night. These are my hours of study: I can't write more time in a day without hurting my eyes.

 

===============================

Caring for the classes, health and the poor

 

Over the next few days, I visited the classes. I was careful to obtain an accurate account of the society. I was surprised to find only one hundred and fifty-nine. I believe they are twice as many in number. And I hope, with God's help, that in four months I will not see anyone in need of food or clothing

===============================

 

10/3 – Saturday.

I went to bed at my usual time, at nine-thirty at night, and, according to my understanding, in perfect health

 I went to bed at my usual time, at nine-thirty at night, and, according to my understanding, in perfect health. But at exactly midnight I was awakened by an impetuous stream, which did not allow me to rest for many consecutive minutes. Finding that it increased rather than decreased, though (which I never experienced before) without its old companionship, the cramp, I asked to be called for Dr. Whitehead. He came about four o'clock in the morning, and, by God's blessing, in three hours I felt as good as ever. I did not find the slightest weakness or discouragement, but I preached morning and evening without any weariness. In such a way that, humanly, he would say like the son of Sirach: "Honor the physician, for God has appointed him."

 10/24 – Tuesday.

I found the classes in Deptford and was vehemently urged to celebrate the Sunday Service

 I found the classes in Deptford, and was earnestly urged to celebrate the Sunday Service in our Room, at the same time as the church service was to take place. It is easy to see that this would be a formal separation from the church. We fixed both our morning and evening services throughout England at hours that did not interfere with that of the church for the same purpose—that the members of the church who preferred could attend both. But to fix it at the same time is to force them to separate themselves from the church as well as from us; And this, I think is not only inconvenient, but totally illegal to do.

10/30 – Monday.

Over the next few days, I visited the classes. I was careful to obtain an accurate account of the society

Over the next few days, I visited the classes. I was careful to obtain an accurate account of the society. I was surprised to find only one hundred and fifty-nine. I believe they are twice as many in number. And I hope, with God's help, that in four months I will not see anyone in need of food or clothing

. 11/3 – Friday.

Will this desert germinate and bloom like a rose?

Using the advantage of a moonlit night, I went down to the chapel in Rotherhithe. I have never seen it so full before, nor with such serious and attentive listeners. Is there anything too hard for God? Will this desert germinate and bloom like a rose?

12/24 – Sunday.

He wanted to preach in Old Jewry, but the church was cold and so was the congregation.

 He wanted to preach in Old Jewry, but the church was cold and so was the congregation. We had another of another kind the next day, at Christmas, at four o'clock, and also at five o'clock in the afternoon, in the new chapel and in West-Street, about noon.

12/31 – Sunday.

Indiscipline is a strange madness

From these words of Isaiah to Hezekiah, "Set thy house in order," I exhorted all who had not done this to set their temporal affairs in order without delay. Indiscipline is a strange madness that still takes hold of many who are, in other respects, men of discernment and who do it in their daily lives, until death comes at a time when they are not seeking.

1787

 01/01 – Monday.

We started the service at four o'clock in the morning

 We started the service at four o'clock in the morning, to an unusually large congregation. We had another comfortable opportunity in the new chapel at the usual time, and the third in the evening in West Street.

01/02 – Tuesday.

but it seemed that I found myself in a den of lions

I left for Deptford, but it seemed that I found myself in a den of lions. Most of the leading men in society were eager to separate themselves from the church. I endeavored to reason with them, but it was in vain; They had neither common sense nor good manners. Finally, after meeting with the whole society, I said to them: "If you are resolved, you can hold services at church time, but remember, at that moment you will no longer see my face!" It touched them deeply and from that hour on I heard no more about separation from the church!

 01/08 – Monday.

For the next four days, I prayed for the poor. I hope to be able to provide food and clothing for those in society who are in great need and have no weekly income

For the next four days, I prayed for the poor. I hope to be able to provide food and clothing for those in society who are in great need and have no weekly earnings; These numbered about two hundred, but they were very disappointed. Six or seven of our brethren gave ten pounds each. If forty had done the same, I could have accomplished my purpose. However, many good works were done with two hundred pounds, and many sorrowful hearts rejoiced.

 

===============================

Great movement between dry bones

 

There has been a great deal of movement lately among the dry bones in this place. The congregations are increasing a lot and are listening with deep attention; and several members have been added to society

===============================

 

 04/23 – Monday.

There has been a great deal of movement lately among the dry bones in this place

There has been a great deal of movement lately among the dry bones in this place. The congregations are increasing a lot and are listening with deep attention; and several members have been added to society. He could gladly have preached in the square, as he had done before, but the wind and rain would not allow it; so that as many as they could filled the preaching house. I preached on: "I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ"; a subject, it seemed, suited to the hearers, many of whom have been ashamed, especially with the devilish shame of being complete Christians.

 04/25 – Wednesday.

Once again I visited my old friends in Tullamore

 Once again I visited my old friends in Tullamore. Have all the barons in Europe done so much good to make up for the evil that one of them did here a year or two ago? He set fire and the flames fell on the thatched houses so fast that it was not possible to put them out until most of the city collapsed. I preached in the assembly room to a large congregation, though only a few are still alive to God. In the morning, for the sake of the Moorish Mathew, I preached in his drawing-room, to as many people as I could contain.

04/26 – Thursday.

I preached in Portarlington, not in the noisy Market Square, but in our own house

At noon, I preached at Portarlington, not in the noisy Market Square, but in our own house, which was completely filled with attentive hearers. In the evening I preached in the Church at Mountmellick, to a congregation still larger than those of Eyre-Court and those of Aghrim; and all of her behaved well. I had not seen anything like it since I left Dublin.

04/27 – Friday.

Since they came, God's work has been revived.

 I went to Kilkenny, twenty-nine Irish miles from Mountmellick. Here religion was at a low tide, and scarcely any society remained; God sent three units of cavalry, several of which were full of faith and love. Since they came, God's work has been revived. I have never seen the house so full since it was built, and the power of God seems to rest upon the congregation, as if he still had people in that place.

07/04 – Wednesday.

 A Gentleman's Seating

I spent an hour at New Dargle, a gentleman's settlement, which is four or five miles from Dublin. I've never seen such a beautiful place in the UK. It is equivalent to those leased in Warwickshire and greatly exceeds those in the conditions.

All paths stretch on either side of the mountain that controls the entire Dublin Bay. It is an extensive and varied landscape.

I believe that none exceeds it in beauty

A small river flows at the back, which produces two cascades, at a small distance from each other. Although many places exceed it in grandeur, I believe that none exceed it in beauty. Soon after, I met the Chamber of Parliament. The House of Lords far exceeds that of Westminster, and the Lord Lieutenant's throne far exceeds the King's wretched throne (as it is called) in the English House of Lords. The House of Commons is a really noble hall.

But what surprised me, above all, were the kitchens of the Chamber and the large apparatus for good food

It is an octagon, clad in Irish oak that puts all mahogany to shame, and has galleries all around it, for the convenience of the ladies. The speaker's chair is much larger than the Lord Lieutenant's throne. But what surprised me, above all, were the kitchens of the Chamber and the large apparatus for good food. Tables were placed from one end of the wide corridor to the other; it seems, when Parliament meets, they are daily supplied with meat, at four or five o'clock in the morning, for the accommodation of the members. Alas, poor Ireland! Who will teach wisdom to your own senators? The war ceased. However, more cruel than weapons, lust has assaulted us.

08/16 – Thursday.

Its gardens and orchards are of a vast extent and wonderfully pleasurable; I do not know a nobleman in Great Britain who has such a variety of the most excellent fruits

I had a very earnest congregation at five o'clock in a large room in Mr. Jersey's house. Its gardens and orchards are of a vast extent and wonderfully pleasurable; I do not know a nobleman in Great Britain who has such a variety of the most excellent fruits; coming from France and other parts of the continent, it has increased every year. How much fruit it has you can conclude from a single species only. That summer, he gathered fifty pounds of strawberries daily, for six consecutive weeks. In the evening I preached at the other end of the city, in our own preaching house. And in such a way the people were compressed into it (although not even close to the amount that came), that the room looked like an oven. However, no one seemed to care about this, because God's Word was sharper than a two-edged sword.

 08/17 – Friday.

I paid a respectful visit to the governor and spent a pleasant half hour

 I paid a respectful visit to the governor and spent a pleasant half hour. In the afternoon, we went for a walk on the pier, the widest and most beautiful I have seen. The city is growing rapidly, and new homes are popping up from all sides. At night I could not enter, but stood near in the courtyard surrounded by tall, shadowy trees, and preached to a large congregation: (John 4:24) "God is spirit; and his worshippers must worship him in spirit and in truth." I believe that many had their hearts cut at this time, and some did not feel comforted at all.

08/18 – Saturday.

Dr. Coke and I had dinner at the governor's house

Dr. Coke and I had dinner at the governor's house. I was happy to have another company. We talked frankly for more than an hour with a sensitive, well-mannered, and pleasant man. In the evening, I preached to the largest congregation I have ever seen.

19/08/1787 – Sunday.

At ten o'clock I went to the French Church, where there was a large well-behaved congregation

Joseph Bradford preached at six o'clock in the morning, at Montplaisir Les Terres, to a large congregation. I preached at eight-thirty in the morning, and the house was able to contain the congregation. At ten o'clock I went to the French Church, where there was a large well-behaved congregation. At five in the afternoon, we had the biggest of all!

08/20 – Monday.

We embarked, between three and four o'clock in the morning, in a very small and inconvenient sloop, and no fast sailor

We embarked, between three and four o'clock in the morning, in a very small and inconvenient sloop, and no fast sailor; so that we had been sailing for seven hours what is called seven leagues. About eleven o'clock we landed at St. Helier and went straight to Mr. Brackenbury's house. It is situated very pleasantly near the edge of the town, has a large and convenient garden, with a lovely row of fertile hills rising a short distance from it. I preached in the evening to an overly serious congregation on Matthew 3 (the last part): almost all were present, at five o'clock, whom I exhorted to continue in perfection.

 

===============================

Pleasant visits

 

Dr. Coke and I had dinner at the governor's house. I was happy to have another company. We talked frankly for more than an hour with a sensitive, well-mannered, and pleasant man. In the evening, I preached to the largest congregation I have ever seen.

===============================

 

 08/21 – Tuesday.

From there we had a full view of it, the most pleasant I have seen; far superior to the Isle of Wight, or the Isle of Man.

We took a walk to the house of one of our friends in the city. Nearby, is what they call a school. It is a free school, designated for the training of children for university, very pleasantly situated in a quiet retreat, surrounded by tall woods. Not far from it sits, on top of a high hill (I suppose a Roman hill), an ancient chapel, believed to be the first Christian church built on the island. From there we had a full view of it, the most pleasant I have seen; far superior to the Isle of Wight, or the Isle of Man. The little hills, almost covered with huge trees, are inexpressibly beautiful; it seems that they can be compared to those of the Island of Guernsey. In the evening I was obliged to preach in the vicinity on "For he saith, I heard thee in the time of opportunity, and succored thee in the day of salvation." And I think a blessing seldom fails to follow up on this subject.

08/22 – Wednesday.

Probably many of these joined because I have lived so many years. And perhaps even that may be the reason for their eternal life.

 In the evening, the room could not contain the people, and I was forced to stay in the courtyard, where I preached on "The righteousness of God through faith in Christ Jesus, to all (and on all) who believe; because there is no distinction. For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God"; and I spoke quite frankly; even the gentry listened with deep attention. How little does God bring for His own glory! Probably many of these joined because I have lived so many years. And perhaps even that may be the reason for their eternal life.

08/27 – Monday.

It was extremely crowded, but God's power was manifested

 Captain Cabot, the man in charge of the Guernsey sloop, visited us early in the morning and told us that if we chose to follow that route, he could leave between five and six o'clock. But, with the wind completely opposite, we thought it best to wait a little longer. In the evening, assigned to preach at seven o'clock in the evening, I was obliged to preach inside the house. It was extremely crowded, but the power of God was manifested, as I declared, "But we preach Christ crucified. Stumbling block to the Jews, foolishness to the Gentiles. For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified," we soon forget the heat and are happy to dwell a little longer than we intended. I thought, when I left Southampton, to go back there today, but God's thoughts are not like my thoughts. Here we are, stuck in Jersey; for how long we can't say. But it is all right, since you, Lord, have done it!

 09/04 – Tuesday.

In this we have fully seen the hand of God

The storm continued so that we could not move. I took a walk to-day, through what is called the New Ground, where the gentry are accustomed to walk at night. Both the upper part, which is a flat surface and a lawn for playing cricket, and the lower part, with rows of trees, are wonderfully beautiful. At night, I freed my soul completely, showing what is built on top of the rock. But we have not yet been able to sail, with the wind being contrary and very strong. It was the same on Wednesday. In the afternoon, we drank tea at a friend's house, who mentioned that the captain, who had just arrived from France, had proposed sailing in the morning to Penzance, because the wind could do, although it would not work for Southampton. In this we have fully seen the hand of God; So, we agreed with him immediately. On the morning of the 6th, we embarked with a favorable and moderate wind, but as soon as we entered, the wind ran out in the middle of the way; then we cried to God for help, and he blew in favor again, and did not cease until he led us to Penzance Bay.

 12/10 – Monday.

I was looking forward to seeing the famous wax work at the Museum in Spring-Gardens

I was eager to see the famous wax work at the Museum in Spring-Gardens; it exhibits the most crowned heads in Europe, and shows the features of their countenances. Sense and majesty appear in the King of Spain; numbness and drunkenness in the King of France; infernal subtlety in the recent King of Prussia (as much as in the skeleton of Voltaire); tranquility of spirit and humanity in the Emperor and King of Portugal; eccentricity and stupidity in the Prince of Orange; and astonishing harshness, with all that is unpleasant, in the Tsarina.

12/22 – Saturday.

I consented to the importunity of a painter, and sat down for an hour and a half for my portrait

I consented to the importunity of a painter, and sat down for an hour and a half for my portrait. I believe it was the best I have done, but what is the portrait of a man over eighty?

 

===============================

Facing the enemy

 

A voice rose vehemently in the midst of the congregation. The terror and confusion were inexplicable. You could even imagine that it was a storm-stricken city. The people rushed over each other with such violence, the pews being torn to pieces, and nine-tenths of the congregation seemed to be stricken with the same panic. In about five minutes the storm ceased as quickly as it rose and everyone was calm, so I proceeded without the slightest interruption.

===============================

 

1788

02/25 – Tuesday.

"By grace we are saved through faith." At the next meeting, God's presence filled the place in a wonderful way

I had a solemn farewell to the congregation on West-Street, applying once more what I had reinforced fifty years before: "By grace we are saved through faith." At the next meeting, God's presence filled the place in a wonderful way. The next afternoon we had a very large congregation in the new chapel, to which I declared the whole counsel of God. It seems that I have now finished my work in London. If you see them again, well and good, if not, I pray God to raise up others who will be more faithful and more successful in their work!

 03/1 – Saturday (Leap Year).

I consider the difference in which I find myself, by the increase of the years

I consider the difference in which I find myself, by the increase in the years: 1. less activity; I walk more slowly, especially on the climbs; 2. My memory is not so fast; 3. I can't read so perfectly by candlelight. But I give glory to God, that all my other powers of body and mind remain exactly as they were.

03/03 – Monday.

I finished my sermon "On Conscience"

 I went to Bristol, and in two or three quiet days finished my sermon "On Conscience." On Tuesday I expressed my intention to preach on Thursday afternoon on (now a general topic) of Slavery. As a result, on Thursday, the house was full, from one end to the other, with all kinds of social classes, rich and poor.

A voice rose vehemently in the midst of the congregation. The terror and confusion were inexplicable"

I preached on the prophecy: "God will enlarge Japheth. And he shall dwell in the tents of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant." About the middle of the discourse, while there was still attention on all sides, it was still night, a voice rose vehemently in the midst of the congregation. The terror and confusion were inexplicable. You could even imagine that it was a storm-stricken city. The people rushed over each other with such violence, the pews being torn to pieces, and nine-tenths of the congregation seemed to be stricken with the same panic. In about five minutes the storm ceased as quickly as it rose and everyone was calm, so I proceeded without the slightest interruption.

It was the strangest incident of the kind I can remember, and, I believe, no one can relate it without supposing some supernatural interference.

It was the strangest incident of the kind I can remember, and, I believe, no one can relate it without supposing some supernatural interference. Satan fled in order that his kingdom might be delivered. We set aside Friday as a day of fasting and prayer, that God may remember those poor banished men; and (which seems impossible to man, considering the fortune and power of his oppressors) provide a way for them to escape and break their fetters in two.

 03/15 – Saturday.

"Who shall be punished eternally from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power"

 In the afternoon, having no other time, I preached once more in the Temple. I had not thought of settling the controversy that has lately troubled this city, until I read those words in the Second Lesson, which threw me upon it: "Who shall be punished eternally from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power" 2 Thessalonians 1:9. And then I thought it my duty to speak clearly and emphatically on this subject.

 

===============================

Death of Charles Wesley

 

The Methodists here have, by way of beneficence, utterly silenced the ignorance of foolish men, so that they are now abundantly more in danger, owing to honour than to dishonour. On March 29, Reverend Charles Wesley died at the age of 79.

===============================

 

03/18 – Tuesday.

Here it seems that the "scandal of the cross" (such is the will of God) has ceased

I preached at Painswick at ten o'clock in the morning. Here we also want a room. At 6 p.m., I started in Gloucester. Here it seems that the "scandal of the cross" (such is the will of God) has ceased. People of all classes, rich and poor, have come together and seem to devour the Word. I preached in a building by a rock, and I spoke plainly. Many, I believe, felt their hearts pierced, because it was the day of the Lord's power.

03/19 – Wednesday.

 God's work is still going strong here. More and more are continually convicted and converted to God

About noon I preached at Tewkesbury, where, too, notwithstanding the market, the house was well filled and the people keenly attentive. God's work is still going strong here. More and more are continually convicted and converted to God. But the preaching house is very small, so that many who came could not enter. We went to Worcester in the afternoon, where also the house is too small for the congregation.

On March 29, Reverend Charles Wesley died at the age of 79

The Methodists here have, by way of beneficence, utterly silenced the ignorance of foolish men, so that they are now abundantly more in danger, owing to honour than to dishonour. On March 29, Reverend Charles Wesley died at the age of 79.

 

===============================

About a thousand children from Sunday Schools

 

At eight o'clock and at one o'clock in the afternoon, the house was completely full. About one o'clock in the afternoon, I met about nine hundred to a thousand children who belong to the Sunday Schools. I have never had such a vision before. All were clean and simple in their appearances. All serious and well-behaved. Many – boys and girls – are beautiful, and I believe that neither England nor Europe can afford that.

===============================

 

04/01 – Tuesday.

I went on to Burslem, where God's work is still greatly prospering

I went on to Burslem, where God's work is still greatly prospering. Sinners—men, women, and children—are convicted and converted to God every day, and there are very few who have turned back, since they are very united in affection and watch over one another in love. In the afternoon, before the preaching hour came, the preaching house was more than full. Making sure that I could not contain half the people, I ordered a table to be set in the garden, where they remained very patiently, although the wind was very strong and cold. Later, I spent a comfortable hour with society that completely filled the house.

04/19 – Saturday.

Frankly, there is no such group of singers in any of the Methodist Churches in the three Kingdoms

I went to Bolton, where I preached in the evening in one of the most elegant houses in the Kingdom, and to one of the most lively congregations. Frankly, there is no such group of singers in any of the Methodist Churches in the three Kingdoms.

selected from our Sunday Schools, and rightly taught

 And there can't be, because we have about a hundred of these sopranos – girls and girls – selected from our Sunday Schools, and rightly taught; as it does not happen in any other chapel, cathedral or music hall in these four seas. Moreover, the spirit with which they all sing, and the beauty of many of them, are so suited to the melody that I challenge anyone to surpass them except the singing angels in our Father's house.

 04/20 – Sunday.

 I met about nine hundred to a thousand children who belong to Sunday Schools

 At eight o'clock and at one o'clock in the afternoon, the house was completely full. About one o'clock in the afternoon, I met about nine hundred to a thousand children who belong to the Sunday Schools. I have never had such a vision before. All were clean and simple in their appearances. All serious and well-behaved. Many – boys and girls – are beautiful, and I believe that neither England nor Europe can afford that. When they sang together, and none of them out of tune, the melody was more beautiful than any theater; and, what is better, many of them truly fear God, and some rejoice in their salvation. They are an example for the whole city.

Their common amusement is to visit the poor and sick (sometimes in groups of six, eight, or ten), to exhort them, to comfort, and to pray with them

Their common amusement is to visit the poor and sick (sometimes in groups of six, eight, or ten), to exhort them, to comfort them, and to pray with them. Often, ten or more gather to sing and pray for themselves; sometimes thirty or forty; and they are perfectly engaged, alternately singing, praying, and crying, so that they do not know how to separate.

Let God arise and maintain his own cause, even "from the mouths of babes and new-borns!"

On hearing this, why can't your children do the same? Isn't God here as much as he is in Bolton? Let God arise and maintain his own cause, even "from the mouths of babes and new-borns!"

 

===============================

On Methodism

 

There is no other religious society under heaven that requires nothing of men for the purpose of their admission but the desire to save their souls. Look around you and you may notice that you cannot be admitted to a church, or society of Presbyterians, Anabaptists, Quakers, or any other, unless you embrace the same opinions as them and the same modes of worship. Only the Methodists do not insist that you embrace this or that opinion, but think and let you think. Nor do they impose any particular mode of worship, but you continue to worship in your former way, whatever that may be.

===============================

 

 04/22 – Tuesday.

They were able enough to cripple any horses and tear any chariot to pieces

By means of equally good roads we proceed to Padiham. I preached, at eleven o'clock, to a quiet congregation, though not so lively as at Bolton. From there we proceed in the afternoon along still more wonderful roads to Haslingden. They were able to cripple any horses and tear any chariot to pieces. Note well: I will not attempt to cross these roads again, until they are actually repaired!

05/14 – Wednesday.

At five o'clock in the morning I was harassed to preach in the preaching house, but I have never seen it before.

At five o'clock in the morning I was harassed to preach in the preaching house, but I have never seen it before. She had no windows. So that, although the sun shone brightly, we could not see anything without candles. But I believe our Lord shone in many hearts as He applied the words, "I will, be thou clean."

05/18 – Sunday.

I have enclosed a short account of Methodism

I preached at eleven o'clock on the parable of the sower; at 2:30 p.m., on Psalm 23 "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want"; and in the evening on: "Now therefore there remain faith, hope, and love, these three, but the greatest of these is love."

Look around you and you may notice that you cannot be admitted to a church, or society of Presbyterians, Anabaptists, Quakers, or any other, unless you embrace the same opinions as them and the same modes of worship.

I have enclosed a short account of Methodism, insisting especially on the circumstances. There is no other religious society under heaven that requires nothing of men for the purpose of their admission but the desire to save their souls. Look around you and you may notice that you cannot be admitted to a church, or society of Presbyterians, Anabaptists, Quakers, or any other, unless you embrace the same opinions as them and the same modes of worship. Only the Methodists do not insist that you embrace this or that opinion, but think and let you think. Nor do they impose any particular mode of worship, but you continue to worship in your former way, whatever that may be. Now, I do not know of any other religious society, either ancient or modern, in which such freedom of conscience is permitted, or has been permitted, since the age of the apostles. Here is our glorification, and a glorification peculiar to us. Which society shares this with us?

 

===============================

Open doors for Wesley

 

Mr. Clark, vicar, invited me to preach in the High Church; and I preached (which occurred to me in the Service of the day) what it is to build our house upon the rock and applied it as strongly as I could

===============================

 

 05/22 – Thursday

And will God manifest his power in the midst of these dry bones as well?

The house in Dalkeith being too small, even at eight o'clock in the morning, to contain the congregation, I preached in the garden on "Seek the Lord while he may be found, call upon him while he is near." And because of the zealous attention of the people, I could not help hoping that some of them would receive the truth in love. In the afternoon I preached in the tolerably crowded house in Dunbar on "Is a man of any profit to God? But the prudent will be profitable to himself. Or has the Almighty delighted that thou shouldest be righteous, or some profit that thou shouldest make thy ways perfect?" I believe intimately that the speech was convincing, but much more so, at five o'clock, on Friday, the 23rd. And will God manifest his power in the midst of these dry bones as well?

I was glad that Mr. Atcheson, a Presbyterian minister, offered me the use of his chapel, a very comfortable place

About noon we arrived at Berwick-upon-Tweed, but they were all hurrying into the town at the time of the fair, so that they could not preach properly in the market-place; I was glad that Mr. Atcheson, a Presbyterian minister, offered me the use of his chapel, a very convenient place. Several of his listeners answered; to whom I spoke openly in the afternoon about 1 Corinthians 12:3 "Therefore I want to make you understand that no one who speaks by the Spirit of God says, 'Jesus is accursed,' and no one can say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit"; and in the morning, on Isaiah 59:1-3 "Behold, the hand of the Lord is not shortened, that it cannot save; nor grieved his ear, that he might not hear. But your iniquities separate you from your God; and your sins hide his face from you, that he will not hear you. For your hands are defiled with blood, and your fingers with iniquity; your lips speak falsehood, your tongue pronounces perverseness."

 06/02 – Monday.

The glory of the Lord seemed to fill the house, and the people trembled before him

About noon I preached in Cockermouth. I've never had such a time there before. The glory of the Lord seemed to fill the house, and the people trembled before him. We had another opportunity in Sunderland in the afternoon. Surely God will be glorified in this place!

06/06 – Friday.

As I left my office, I misstepped, leaned forward, and hit one of the edges of the stairs, a quarter of an inch above my right eye, right on my eyelid

As I left my room, I misstepped, leaned forward, and hit one of the edges of the stairs, a quarter of an inch above my right eye, right on my eyelid. I placed a small white paper over it, which immediately stopped the bleeding, and preached without any inconvenience.

Many have been convicted of sin, many justified, some perfected in love, and many added to society.

God's work has been growing here lately. Many have been convicted of sin, many justified; some perfected in love, and many added to society.

06/07 – Saturday.

and, as the main beam that supported it gave way, the ground began to sink! Some shouted, "The room is collapsing!"

 Our brothers thought that the preaching house would not contain people at five in the morning, but before I could start talking, it was overcrowded; and, as the main beam that supported it gave way, the ground began to sink! Some shouted: "The room is collapsing!"; a man jumped out of the window; the rest slowly and quietly left without the slightest rush or confusion; so that nothing could do harm except a poor dog that was under the window. So I preached in the open field to two or three times as many people as the room would have held, and everyone was attentive. How white are these fields for harvesting!

 06/22 – Sunday.

Mr. Clark, vicar, invited me to preach in the High Church

 Mr. Clark, vicar, invited me to preach in the High Church; and I preached (which occurred to me in the Service of the day) what it is to build our house upon the rock, and I applied it as strongly as I could. I dined at Vicarage with Mr. Clark; a friendly and sensible man and, I believe, truly God-fearing. And the same, by the peculiar providence of God, are all three formal ministers at Hull. He said he had never seen the church so crowded before. Yet I was still fuller in the afternoon, when, at Mr. Clark's request, I preached on James's beautiful account of the wisdom that comes from above. At six o'clock in the afternoon, I preached in our own house, to as many as could enter (but many people went away), on "But far be it from me to boast, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world is crucified to me, and I to the world"

 

===============================

Wesley's mission in a time of declining health

 

I have found, likewise, some decline in my memory, with respect to names and things lately past, but not with respect to what I have read or heard in these twenty, forty, or sixty years; nor do I find a decline in my hearing, taste, or appetite (though I need the third part of the food I once needed); nor do I feel such a thing as weakness, not even when traveling or preaching.

===============================

 

 06/27 – Friday

From there I went, once more (perhaps for the last time), to Epworth

At nine o'clock in the morning, I preached in the church at Swinfleet, which was filled from one end to the other. About eleven o'clock I preached at Crowle, to a large congregation, and I hope there will be a good harvest here also, as the almost perpetual strife is at an end. From there I went, once more (perhaps for the last time), to Epworth; where, by the prudence and diligence of T. Tattershall, the people have forgotten their quarrels and live together in unity.

06/28 – Saturday.

Today I entered my eighty-fifth year; and I praise God for the thousand spiritual blessings and for the bodily blessings as well

 Today I entered my eighty-fifth year; and I praise God for the thousand spiritual blessings and for the bodily blessings as well. How little have I yet suffered for the "advance of numerous years!"

I don't run or walk as fast as I used to; my eyes are a little drooping; My left eye is more opaque and is hardly suitable for reading.

It's true that I'm not as agile as I once was. I don't run or walk as fast as I used to; my eyes are a little drooping; My left eye is more opaque and is hardly suitable for reading. I have some daily pains in the eyeball of my right eye, in my right temple (caused by a blow I received a few months ago), and in my right shoulder and arm, which I attribute partly to spraining, and partly to rheumatism.

I have also found some decline in my memory, with respect to names and things recently past, but not with respect to what I have read or heard in these twenty, forty, or sixty years

I have found, likewise, some decline in my memory, with respect to names and things lately past, but not with respect to what I have read or heard in these twenty, forty, or sixty years; nor do I find a decline in my hearing, taste, or appetite (though I need the third part of the food I once needed); nor do I feel such a thing as weakness, not even when traveling or preaching. I am conscious of no decline in writing my sermons, which I have done so readily, willingly, and, I believe, as correctly as ever.

First, doubtless, to the power of God, fitting me to the work to which I have been called, however long yet I shall please him

And to what cause can I impute all this? Why am I the way I am? First, doubtless, to the power of God, fitting me to the work to which I have been called, however long yet to please him. Then, subordinate to this, to the prayers of his children. Can we not attribute minor motives to lesser motives? 1. To my constant exercise and change of air? 2. To have never lost a night's sleep, sick or healthy, by land or sea, since I was born? 3. To the fact that when I feel worn out, at any time, day or night, sleep comes at my command? 4. To my rising constantly at four o'clock for almost sixty years? 5. To my constant preaching, at five o'clock, in these almost fifty years? 6. Because I have had so little pain in my life, and so little sadness or anxiety to worry about?

Even now, though I have daily pains in my eye, or temple, or arm, yet it is never violent, and seldom lingers for many minutes at a time

Even now, though I have daily pains in my eye, or temple, or arm, yet it is never violent, and seldom lingers for many minutes at a time. Whether it was sent to me as a warning that I shall soon come out of this tabernacle or not, I do not know, but for one reason or another, I have only to say, "I will live the days that remain to me praising him who died that the world might be redeemed; few or many my days, I owe to him; and to him I will dedicate them."

Teach us to number our days, so that we may attain a wise heart"

I preached in the morning on "Teach us to number our days, that we may obtain a wise heart"; in the evening, on "Take heed therefore lest it befall you that which is spoken in the prophets: Behold, O despisers, marvel and fade away, for I am doing a work in your days, that you will not believe if anyone tells you." And I endeavored to improve the intervening hours, for better benefit.

 06/29 – Sunday.

at my old post, in the market square at Epworth, to a large congregation.

At eight o'clock in the morning I preached at Misterton, as usual; about one o'clock in the afternoon, to a large congregation at Newby, near Haxey; and about four o'clock at my old post, in the market square at Epworth, to a large congregation.

06/30 – Monday.

I got off and took a look, inside and outside of it.

About eight o'clock I preached at Scotter and thought it good to be there. At eleven o'clock I preached at Scowby, two miles from Brigg, to a large and earnest congregation. In the afternoon, proceeding directly to that curious building, Mr. Pelham's Mausoleum, I alighted and took a look, inside and outside. The same, I suppose, is not found in England. It is exactly round, fifty-two feet in diameter and sixty-five feet in height. The lowest part contains, I believe, about a hundred places for the bodies of the Pelham family. (It must be a comfort to the dead, that their bodies may rot above the earth!). Above will be the chapel. It is estimated that the entire construction will cost sixty thousand pounds.

07/04 – Friday.

I believe that this is exactly what the people wanted, although I did not know it.

 I set out early in the morning from Raithby, and at eight o'clock preached at Horncastle. My object was to have preached earnestly, for what purpose I chose that text: "The harvest is past, the summer is ended, and we are not saved"; but I changed, and knew not how, to an altogether different path, being able to preach almost nothing but consolation. I believe that this is exactly what the people wanted, although I did not know it.

07/06 – Sunday.

This is the case at Epworth and at all churches where the minister neither loves nor preaches the Gospel. Methodists will not participate in their ministrations

I came to Epworth before the church service began, and was glad to observe the earnestness with which Mr. Gibson read the prayers, and preached a simple and useful sermon. But I was sad to see twenty communicants, half of whom came because of me. I was also informed that hardly fifty people usually attend Sunday services. What can be done to remedy this damaging wound? He would gladly prevent the members here from leaving the church. But I can't do that. As Mr. G—not a devout man, but rather an enemy of devotion, and often preaches against the truth, I cannot with all my influence persuade those who hold and love it, to hear him, or attend to the sacrament administered by him. If I cannot conduct this question while I live, who then can do it when I die? This is the case at Epworth and at all churches where the minister neither loves nor preaches the Gospel. Methodists will not participate in their ministrations. What, then, should be done? At four o'clock in the afternoon, I preached in the market-place on "for the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord," and I strongly exhorted the multitude to choose the better part.

08/04 – Monday.

One of the most important points to be considered at this conference was separation from the church

At five o'clock in the afternoon we had a good congregation; and, I believe, many have felt the power of the Word, or rather of God speaking through it. One of the most important points to be considered at this conference was separation from the church. The sum of the long conversation was: 1. that, in the course of these fifty years, premeditatedly or voluntarily, we have not altered a single article of it referring to doctrine or discipline; 2. that we were not yet aware that we had altered any point of the doctrine;

We have altered, in the course of the years, by necessity, not by slowly and carefully choosing, some points of the discipline, such as: preaching in the fields, spontaneous prayers, preparing preachers, shaping and regulating societies, and holding annual conferences

3. that we alter, in the course of the years, by necessity, not by choosing, slowly and carefully, some points of discipline, such as: preaching in the fields, spontaneous prayers, preparing preachers, shaping and regulating societies, and holding annual conferences. But we did not do these things until we were convinced that we could not long neglect them, but by risking our own souls.

 08/06 – Wednesday.

Our conference ended just as it began, in great peace!

Our conference ended just as it began, in great peace! We kept that day as a day of fasting, meeting at five, nine, and one o'clock in the afternoon to pray; and concluding the day with a solemn night of vigil. For the next three days, I retired to review my papers and finish all the work I had to do in London.

08/10 – Sunday.

but her husband is a notorious drunkard, so I couldn't keep them in the house any longer

 I was engaged in a very unpleasant job: the dismissal of an old maid. She has been my housekeeper, on West Street, for many years, and one of the best maids I have had, but her husband is a notorious drunkard, so that I could not keep them in the house any longer. She received her resignation in a fine spirit, praying to God to bless us all! In the morning I preached on West Street to a large congregation, and in the new chapel in the evening to a still larger congregation. It seems that people, in general, did not expect that I could remain long among them after my brother's departure; and consequently willingly listen as long as they can. In the evening I set out in my postal carriage, and early in the morning I arrived at Portsmouth.

09/06 – Saturday.

I am ashamed that a Methodist preacher, in reasonable health, should have any difficulty with this!

I walked to Mr. Henderson's house in Hannam, and from there went to Bristol. But my friends, more delicate than wise, could hardly bear this. It seemed so sorry to walk five or six miles! I am ashamed that a Methodist preacher, in reasonable health, should have any difficulty with this!

09/20 – Saturday.

I met with the curators of the new Room

 I met with the trustees of the new Hall who were desirous of adding a codicil to the Loan Insurance, for the purpose of determining for the conference (after me) the sole right to appoint the preachers in it.

11/28 – Friday.

They warned, without my knowledge, that I would preach there in the morning

 In a little preaching house built in St. Peter's Church (two miles from Margate), they were told, without my knowledge, that I would preach there in the morning. It was totally inconvenient, according to many reports, the wind was cold to cut and the ground covered with snow. But I would not disappoint the congregation, so I would preach at nine o'clock and hasten to Canterbury, where the house was, as usual, very full, and God gave us his blessing.

12/10 – Wednesday.

In the following days I corrected my brother's posthumous poems

 In the following days I corrected my brother's posthumous poems; being little psalms (a few excluded) [hymns] on the four Gospels and the Acts of the Apostles. They make up five volumes, containing from eighteen hundred to nineteen hundred pages.

12/15 – Monday.

In the evening, I preached at Miss Helena's school. Teulon at Highgate

 In the evening, I preached at Miss Helena's school. Teulon at Highgate. I think this was the coldest night I can remember. The house where we were staying is located on the edge of the hill, and the east wind comes full through the windows. So I remained awake from eleven o'clock to one in the morning, and then I was obliged to dress; with the cramp getting more and more violent.

I have been reflecting on the delicate stages through which age plagues us

In the morning, however, not only the cramp went away, but so did the limping that usually follows it. I have been reflecting on the delicate stages through which age plagues us. To give just one example. Four years ago, my eyes were as good as they were when I was twenty-five. Then I began to observe that I could not see things as clearly with my left eye as with my right eye; All the objects looked a little brownish with that eye. Then I began to have some difficulty in reading a small printed matter under the candlelight. A year later, I found that the same thing happened in daylight.

In the winter of 1786 – I could not read our four-shilling hymnal well, except with a large candle; The following year, I couldn't read small print or poorly handwritten

In the winter of 1786 – I could not read our four-shilling hymnal well, except with a large candle; The following year, I couldn't read small print or poorly handwritten. Last winter, a sprinkle appeared in my left eye, and his vision was greatly blurred. The right eye seemed unchanged, I just have a shorter view than I was. So are "those who when they look out of the windows see everything dark"; one of the marks of old age. But I thank God, "the grasshopper is not a burden".

I am still able to travel and my memory is the same as it was, and in this way, I believe, my discernment

I am still able to travel and my memory is the same as it was, and so, I believe, my discernment. This week I dedicated myself to reading my brother's works. They are short poems about the Psalms, the four Gospels, and the Acts of the Apostles. Some are bad; some, reasonable; some, excellently good. They give the true sense of Scripture, always in good English, usually in good verse; many of them are equal to most, if not anything he ever wrote; but some still seasoned with that poison of mysticism, with which we did not poison ourselves, before we went to America. This gave a dark aspect, first, to his mind, and then to many of his verses. And it caused him often to describe religion as a melancholy thing: and just as often it sounded in his ears, "Into the wilderness," and strongly persuaded him in favour of solitude.

 

===============================

Prophecies about Wesley's last year of life

 

If, according to some of these prophecies, this is the last year of my life, I hope it will be the best! I am not concerned about it, but I gladly receive the warning of the angel in Milton: "how well thou art; as long as the heavens permit!"

===============================

 

12/31 – Wednesday.

A large company concluded the old year with a very solemn night of vigil

A large company concluded the old year with a very solemn night of vigil. So far God has helped us, and we neither see nor feel those terrible judgments which some have said God would pour out upon the nation about the close of the year. For seventeen years I have observed that before any war or public calamity England abounds with prophets, who confidently foretell many terrible things.

They usually believe in themselves, but are led by a vain imagination

They usually believe in themselves, but are led by a vain imagination. And they seldom do not feel deceived because of the failure of their predictions, but still believe that they will be fulfilled at some time or another.

1789

01/01 – Thursday

If, according to some of these prophecies, this is the last year of my life

  If, according to some of these prophecies, this is the last year of my life, I hope it will be the best! I am not concerned about it, but I gladly receive the warning of the angel in Milton: "how well thou art; as long as the heavens permit!"

01/04 – Sunday.

to renew the covenant with God

Though the extreme severity of the weather has driven away many of the more delicate persons, yet we have had a large congregation in the evening, to renew the covenant with God; and we have always found that when we recognize that he is our God, he recognizes us as his people.

 01/05 – Monday.

At Mrs. T.'s sincere wish, I posed once more for my portrait.

At Mrs. T.'s sincere wish, I posed once more for my portrait. Mr. Romney is a real artist. He printed exact similarity at once, and did more in one hour than Mr. Joshua did in ten.

01/09 – Friday.

I didn't leave money to anyone in my will, because I don't have any

 I didn't leave money to anyone in my will, because I don't have any. But, considering that whenever I am away money comes up from the sale of books, I added a small inheritance, through an additional clause, to be fulfilled as soon as I can. But he would gladly do some good while he lived, because who can say what will come next?

01/15 – Thursday.

I continued my Diary, I will probably continue to write it for as long as I can live

I left for Camberwell and continued my Diary, I shall probably continue to write it as long as I can live. On Thursday I preached once more at Peckham, and did not hinder those who had ears from hearing the whole counsel of God.

01/16 – Friday.

I have observed the most admirable picture of atheistic religion that I have ever seen in Captain Wilson's account of Thule, king of Pelew.

I have observed the most admirable picture of atheistic religion that I have ever seen in Captain Wilson's account of Thule, king of Pelew. But how utterly unnecessary is the knowledge or grace of God (consequently, what a useless book the Bible is), if a man is all perfected, so that he has no more knowledge of God than a horse, and no more of his grace than a bird!

01/20 – Tuesday.

I would gladly put my accounts in order before I die.

I withdrew in order to finish my annual reports. If possible, I should be a better economist, because instead of having anything in advance, I am now considerably in debt, but I don't like it. I would gladly put my accounts in order before I die.

 

 ===============================

God's Power in the Congregation

 

There was much of God's power in the congregation, morning and evening, as well as on Monday afternoon, which gave me good hope that God will continue his own work. In view of the sincere importunity of our friends, on Wednesday, the 26th, I inaugurated the new preaching house in Rye. It is a noble building, much more imposing than most of our houses, and finely situated at the head of the city.

===============================

 

01/25 – Sunday.

There was much of God's power in the congregation, morning and evening, as well as on Monday afternoon, which gave me good hope that God will continue his own work.

There was much of God's power in the congregation, morning and evening, as well as on Monday afternoon, which gave me good hope that God will continue his own work. In view of the sincere importunity of our friends, on Wednesday, the 26th, I inaugurated the new preaching house in Rye. It is a noble building, much more imposing than most of our houses, and finely situated at the head of the city. It was fully packed. Such a congregation I have never seen in Rye, and their behaviour has been as remarkable as the number that, with the addition of a peaceable and loving spirit in which they are, there is reason to expect such a work here, as never before.

 01/29 – Thursday.

The new preaching house was very full

I proceeded to Winchelsea, once a large and prosperous city, but since it was burned by the Danes, a small and insignificant region, though finely situated on the top of a chain of hills. The new preaching house was filled with decent, earnest listeners who seemed to receive the truth in love.

02/06 – Friday.

On the day of the quarterly meeting of the local preachers, between twenty and thirty of them met

 On the day of the quarterly meeting of the local preachers, between twenty and thirty of them met in West-Street, and opened their hearts to one another. Taking advantage of the opportunity of having them all together, on the night of vigil, I strongly insisted on Paul's advice to Timothy: "Guard what is entrusted to you"; especially the doctrine of Christian perfection, which God has peculiarly entrusted to the Methodists.

02/13 – Friday.

 Chelsea College, and all its parts. It is intended to house five hundred elderly soldiers,

 We took a look at that noble building, Chelsea College, and all its parts. It is destined to house five hundred elderly soldiers, who will be garrisoned with all the things necessary for life and holiness.

02/25 – Wednesday.

It was the day when I commanded all our brethren in Great Britain and Ireland, to observe with fasting and prayer for the recovery of His Majesty's health.

 It was the day when I commanded all our brethren in Great Britain and Ireland, to observe with fasting and prayer for the recovery of His Majesty's health. But we were pleased to hear that before we asked (except in private) and he replied; in such a way that the time intended to humble ourselves was transformed into a time of thanksgiving, and at five o'clock, at nine and one in the afternoon we were more engaged in praise.

03/01 – Sunday.

Some time ago it was prophesied that I would not survive this month, because the time has come to know whether I will be sent to God or not

It was a solemn day. The new church was sufficiently crowded, morning and afternoon, and few who expected a blessed farewell were disappointed. At seven o'clock in the evening I took a postal carriage, and with three of our brethren we spent a comfortable night; partly in deep sleep, and partly praising God. Some time ago it was prophesied that I would not survive this month, because the time has come to know if I will be sent to God or not. In any case, my concern is to always be ready.

 

===============================

The Original Purpose of Methodism

 

I then met with the society and explained to them about the original purpose of Methodism, namely, not to be a dissenting party, but to encourage all groups, Christians and atheists, to worship God in spirit and truth; in particular, the Church of England, to which they belonged from the beginning. With this vision, I have uniformly continued for fifty years

===============================

 

03/23 – Monday.

The congregation in Dudley filled the new house very well

The congregation in Dudley filled the new house very well, where I preached as I did in London fifty years ago. From thence we hastened to Madeley, where I found Mrs. Fletcher much better than she had been for many years; and young Mr. Fletcher, very much alive to God and rapidly growing in the spirit of his uncle. I preached in the afternoon, after Mr. Horne had read the prayers, to a deeply serious congregation, and again at nine o'clock in the evening.

04/12 – (Easter Sunday. Dublin).

I then met with the society and explained to them the original purpose of Methodism

 We really had a solemn assembly; many hundreds of communicants, morning and evening; many more listeners than our room could hold, though considerably larger now. I then met with the society and explained to them about the original purpose of Methodism, namely, not to be a dissenting party, but to encourage all groups, Christians and atheists, to worship God in spirit and truth; in particular, the Church of England, to which they belonged from the beginning. With this view I have uniformly continued for fifty years, never altering the doctrine of the church; nor his discipline by choice, but by necessity; so that, in the course of the years, the necessity has been placed upon me (as I have everywhere proved) to: 1. preach in the open air; 2. Pray spontaneously; 3. form companies; 4. Accept the assistance of chosen preachers; and, in a few cases, to use such motives to prevent or remove the evils we feel or fear.

 04/14 – Tuesday.

then I gave them a clear account of the object of Methodism, namely, not to separate themselves from the church, but to unite with all the children of God

 We had a good opportunity at seven o'clock, which we closed with a serious and purposeful conversation, and then we went to the Tyrrell Passage. Although the wind was piercing, the crowd forced me to preach in the vicinity at night; soon afterwards I gave them a clear account of the object of Methodism, namely, not to separate themselves from the church, but to unite with all the children of God who are scattered in the vicinity.

 

===============================

Wesley enters his 86th year of life

 

What I must fear, if I consider the next day, is that my body may oppress my mind, so as to create both obstinacy by the diminution of my discernment, and grumpy by the increase of the infirmities of the body, but you can answer me, O Lord my God!

===============================

 

04/15 – Wednesday.

Around ten o'clock I preached to a small congregation at the Palace of Justice in Molingar

About ten o'clock I preached to a small congregation at the Palace of Justice in Molingar. We had a congregation quite different in numbers and spirit at the Courthouse, Longford, in the evening; and who seemed to partake of these words with pleasure, "He that doeth the will of God, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother."

 04/17 – Friday.

I was amazed to realize how little it takes for the fire to ignite.

I went to the house of my old friends in Athlone, but, to my surprise, I found them in disarray. I would hate to hear the conflicting parties face to face and I was amazed to see how little it takes for the fire to ignite. Some of the leaders had, for no apparent reason, offended the assistant. He called Mr. R., and warned against absorbing the same prejudice, telling him that: "If he did the same, he would have to guard against the consequence" (with reference to the harm that would be between people). Misunderstanding this word, he was furious; others took his side; and society was in an uproar. I spoke to him until he was exhausted, but it was in vain; Someone could likewise have spoken to the north wind. So I left it in God's hands, and only strove to extinguish the flame among the people.

04/21 – Tuesday.

How the scenario is changed here! One of the most melancholy places in Ireland has become one of the most vivid!

About ten o'clock I preached in Eyre-Court Church; so full, as I suppose, never has been before; and many of the hearers seemed to feel the word. From there, I went to Birr. How the scenario is changed here! One of the most melancholy places in Ireland has become one of the most vivid! But I could not preach in the surroundings at night because of the rain. So we did what we could in the room and in the courtyard, and had the most solemn opportunity.

04/22 – Wednesday.

About noon I preached in the beautiful new Palace of Justice

About noon I preached in the beautiful new Courthouse in Tullamore. Deep attention was established between the rich and the poor, as was the case at Coolylough at night.

 04/23 – Thursday.

Thanksgiving for Her Majesty's recovery of health

A day of thanksgiving for the recovery of Her Majesty's health, I preached at the Courthouse, Portarlington, as soon as the church service was over. The congregation was exceedingly well dressed, and still more careless and rude. At six o'clock in the afternoon I preached in the church at Mountmellick, which was completely crowded with hearers of an entirely different kind. They were attentive, and in the morning they filled the temple.

05/01 – Friday.

As we went up the street, we had a very large entourage, calling attention and shouting with all their strength

We went to Capoquin. The rain prevented me from preaching in the surrounding area, and I accepted the large room that was offered me to preach in the barracks. As we went up the street, we had a very large entourage, calling attention and shouting with all their might. But the watchman kept the tuba out, and we had a quiet congregation inside. A Papist gentleman invited me to lodge at his house, and I spent a comfortable afternoon.

05/17 – Sunday.

I didn't feel very well for a few days, and I thought I'd go straight back to London

 I didn't feel very well for a few days, and I thought I'd go straight back to London. But I thought it best to try a little harder, so I set out for Castlebar. At the same moment I felt a complete change, just a little feverish. But this did not prevent my preaching in the afternoon, nor did God stop us from giving us an unusual blessing. The same thing happened to us the following afternoon, but more eminently on Tuesday, morning and evening; as well as in the administration of the Lord's Supper, in which two clergymen desired to be our partners.

06/08 – Monday.

It is the most complete place of worship I have ever seen.

We went to Belfast. At first I thought of preaching in Linen-Hall, but the time was uncertain, and I went to the leaders of a large meeting-house and asked for the use of it, which they granted in the most helpful manner. It is the most complete place of worship I have ever seen. It is oval-shaped; as I judged by my eye, about a hundred feet long, and seventy or eighty wide. It is very imposing, with two rows of wide windows so that it is as clear as the new chapel in London. And the pillar columns, with all the other parts, are so finely proportioned that they become most beautiful.

The house was so crowded, inside and out

The house was so crowded, inside and out (and, indeed, with some of the most respectable people in town) that it was with the utmost difficulty that I entered, but then I made sure that I did not enter without the Lord. Great was my freedom of speech in the midst of them; great was our glory in the Lord. So I mentioned, contrary to my own desire, my intention to preach there again in the morning; but, soon after, the sacristan sent me a message that it would not be possible; Once the mob damaged the house, some of them broke and carried away the silver that was on the Bible in the pulpit. So I asked one of our preachers to preach in our little house, and we left Belfast early in the morning.

 05/11 – Thursday.

The iron part of the axle of the wheel broke, so that we walked with two of our brothers, which was easier than riding even on their horse

I preached at Rathfriland, about noon, and before two o'clock in the afternoon I set out for Tanderagee. But in about half an hour the iron part of the axle of the wheel broke, so that we walked, with two of our brothers, which was easier than riding, even on their horse. But before we reached Brickland, my strength was so exhausted, that I was glad to stop a little at the inn, and be sent to Bannbridge, about two miles distant, by a mail carriage.

I had gone about a mile when Mrs. Lesley met me with her carriage

I arrived just after six o'clock in the afternoon, and left immediately. I had gone about a mile when Mrs. Lesley met me with her carriage (which departed as soon as she heard that mine had broken down), and took me with her to Tanderagee. The crowd was waiting (twice as many as were on the pitch in Downspatrick); when, finding no need of strength, I earnestly proclaimed, "God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself." Such a congregation I had never seen since in the kingdom; nor such a pleasant place, shaded with tall, leafy trees, near which flows a clear river. And all the people listened with quiet and deep attention [when I invited] to "drink of the water of life freely."

06/28 – Sunday.

Today I entered my eighty-sixth year. I am now in old age

At the conclusion of my morning service, we had a remarkable blessing; and the same in the evening, moving the whole congregation, like a man's heart. Today I entered my eighty-sixth year. I am now in old age:

What should I fear if I take into account the next day

1. My eyes are sagging, and I cannot read a small printed matter except in bright light; 2. my strength is diminished, and I walk more slowly than I did a few years before; 3. My memory for names of people or places is impaired, I stopped remembering them for a while. What I must fear, if I consider the next day, is that my body may oppress my mind, so as to create both obstinacy by the diminution of my discernment, and grumpy by the increase of the infirmities of the body, but you can answer me, O Lord my God!

 

===============================

Assuming it's the last time

 

I preached again, morning and evening, in the amphitheater, I suppose, for the last time. My voice cannot now command the still growing crowd. Supposing it were well over twenty-five thousand, it would hardly be possible that everyone could hear me.

===============================

 

 07/10 – Friday.

I observed it as a day of fasting and prayer, especially for the growth of God's work

 I observed it as a day of fasting and prayer, especially for the growth of God's work. This was concluded with a very solemn night of vigil, in which the hearts of many were greatly comforted.

07/16 – Thursday.

When I said goodbye to the family, everyone started crying

When I said goodbye to the family, everyone started crying. It's been a long time since I've seen anything like it. About noon I preached to a large and very conscientious congregation in Northwich. A flame has recently been lit here, such as has never been seen before. In the afternoon, I preached in Manchester.

 07/18 – Saturday.

with the assistance of Dr. Coke, I administered the sacrament to one hundred and eleven or one hundred and twelve communicants

I consulted Dr. Easton, because I was thirsty, and the fever increased greatly. His medicine soon took effect, and I was so well on the morning of Sunday, the 19th, that I preached, and, with the assistance of Dr. Coke, administered the sacrament to one hundred and eleven or one hundred and twelve communicants. I preached again in the afternoon, but it was too much for me, and my fever returned.

08/1 – Saturday.

. Nothing was left but to build another preaching house,

We consider the case of the House of Dewsbury, which the self-styled trustees stole from us. The point of discussion was this: that they might have the right to reject any preachers they disapproved. But this, we understand, would destroy itinerant preaching. So they chose J. A. for speaker, who adopted W. E. – for his assistant parish priest. Nothing remained but to build another preaching house, for which we subscribed two hundred and six pounds.

08/08 – Saturday.

I chose a new person to prepare the "Arminian Magazine"; reluctantly, anyway

I have established all my temporal works and, in particular, I have chosen a new person to prepare the "Arminian Magazine"; grudgingly, in any case, I was obliged to leave out Mr. O. for these two reasons only: (1) the errata was unbearable; I have endured them for all these twelve years, but I cannot do it any longer. (2) Many pieces have been inserted without my knowledge, both in prose and verse. I must try, if these things can be corrected, for the short time that remains of my life.

 08/23 – Sunday.

I preached again, morning and evening, in the amphitheatre, I suppose, for the last time

I preached again, morning and evening, in the amphitheater, I suppose, for the last time. My voice cannot now command the still growing crowd. Supposing it were well over twenty-five thousand, it would hardly be possible that everyone could hear me.

 

===============================

The Itinerants and the Preaching Houses

 

As the number of preachers increased, the difficulty of fixing the places where each one would work from time to time increased. I have often wished to transfer this task of placing the preachers, once a year or so, to themselves. But no one was willing to accept it. So I carried this burden until my fight was completed.

===============================

 

08/26 – Wednesday.

God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself"

 I returned to Redruth and applied to the large congregation, "God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself."

 I then met with the society and explained the rise and nature of Methodism, and further asserted that I have never read or heard, either from ancient or modern history, any other church that builds on so broad a foundation as the Methodists; which require of their members no conformity, either in opinions or modes of worship, but merely this one thing, to fear God and to act uprightly.

Bristol, 11 September 1789

To the Methodist People

About fifty years ago, one or another young man offered to serve me as a son in the gospel

1. When, about fifty years ago, one or other young man offered to serve me as a son in the gospel, I presented to them the following condition, that they would labor where I appointed, or else we would remain in our own ways. Thus began the itinerant preaching among us.

But we were not the first itinerants in England. Twelve preachers were appointed by Queen Elizabeth to travel continuously, with the aim of spreading the true religion throughout the kingdom; and the trade and wages still continue, although their work is little attended.

I have often wished to transfer this task of placing the preachers, once a year or so, to themselves

Mr. Miller, the late vicar of Chipping, Lancashire, was one of them. 2. As the number of preachers increased, the difficulty of fixing the places where each would work from time to time increased. I have often wished to transfer this task of placing the preachers, once a year or so, to themselves. But no one was willing to accept it. So I carried this burden until my fight was completed.

When the preaching houses were built, they were immediately in the hands of the trustees

3. When the preaching houses were built, they were immediately in the hands of the trustees, who were to ascertain that those who preached in them were those whom I had sent, and no one else; This, we understand, was the only means by which roaming would be regularly established. But lately after a new preaching house had been built at Dewsbury in Yorkshire, through subscriptions and contributions from the people (only the trustees not contributing a quarter of what it cost), they took possession of the house, and, though they had promised otherwise, positively refused to establish it in the Methodist plan, requiring that they should have the power to refuse any preacher who did not agree.

 I have no power to establish the preachers of Dewsbury; because the trustees can object to whoever they want

And this being so, I have no power to establish the preachers of Dewsbury; because the trustees can object to whomever they want. And they themselves, and not I, must finally judge these objections. 4. Observe, that there is no dispute here regarding the right of houses. I have no right to any preaching house in England.

What I demand is the right to establish preachers

What I claim is the right to establish preachers. This these trustees have stolen from me in the present instance. Therefore, only one of these two paths can be taken: to file a lawsuit because of this house, or to build another. We prefer the latter, because it is the friendliest path. I pray, therefore, my brethren, for God's sake; for love of me, your old and almost wearied servant; for the sake of primitive Methodism, that if itinerancy is interrupted nothing will soon come. For the sake of justice, mercy, and truth, which are all so grievously violated by the detention of this house; Who will you place on your shoulders for the necessary work?

So did Dr. Coke. The preachers did all they could.

Do not limit yourself to your own interests. We have never had such a reason before. Do not, then, allow unkind, unjust, and deceitful men to have reason to rejoice in their bad work. This is a common cause. Do your best. I subscribed fifty pounds. So did Dr. Coke. The preachers did all they could. Let those who have much give abundantly! Perhaps this is the last labor of love that I can have the opportunity to recommend to you. Let this, then, be placed as a further reason for your true gratitude to your dearest brethren, your old and affectionate brother, J. Wesley

 

===============================

Preaching in new times

 

The dissenting minister in Towcester offered me the use of his church, and it was crowded; I believe our Lord was present. From there we went to Northampton, where I spent two afternoons with great satisfaction, though the great man who was so touched at Bath last year, was, as I had hoped, ashamed to see me.

===============================

 

 10/7 – Wednesday.

I am now as well, by the good providence of God, as it is possible for me to be

I am now as well, by the good providence of God, as it is possible for me to be. My eyesight is so poor that I can't read by candlelight, but I can still write as well as before. My strength is more diminished, so that I cannot preach twice a day easily. But I thank God, my memory is not much worse, and my discernment is as clear as it has been in these fifty years.

10/26 – Monday.

It was a day of God's power, and I believe most resolute hearts trembled at his word.

I left early, dined at Wallingford, exactly fifty miles from the new chapel, and preached in the afternoon to a people far greater than the preaching house could contain. It was a day of God's power, and I believe most resolute hearts trembled at his word.

10/29 – Thursday.

"There is only one God"

 I returned to Oxford, and, as notice had been given, though without my knowledge, of my preaching at noon, I did so on "There is only God," to a very serious congregation; but in the afternoon such a crowd of people pressed in, so that they prevented others from listening. I don't know when we had so much noise in the congregation; and in their eagerness to hear they frustrated their own purpose.

11/16 – Monday.

After an interruption of many weeks

After an interruption of many weeks, in spite of the dryness in my mouth, I resolved to try to preach in the morning, and I did so not with much difficulty; and now I hope to keep a little longer.

11/25 – Wednesday.

The dissenting minister in Towcester offered me the use of his church, and it was crowded

 The dissenting minister in Towcester offered me the use of his church, and it was crowded; I believe our Lord was present. From there we went to Northampton, where I spent two afternoons with great satisfaction, though the great man who was so touched at Bath last year, was, as I had hoped, ashamed to see me.

 1/12 – Tuesday.

At noon, I preached in the new preaching house in Mitcham

At noon I preached in the new preaching house at Mitcham, and surveyed the small, earnest society; almost all of them rejoicing in God's love. So I retired to a loving family in Beldham.

 12/13 – Sunday.

Much concerned for the poor apostates, I endeavored to apply the final words of the parable of the Prodigal son

Much concerned for the poor apostates, I endeavored to apply the closing words of the parable of the Prodigal son: "This brother of yours was dead, and is alive again. He was lost, and he was found"; and by night of Hosea "Because Ephraim multiplied the altars to sin; he had altars to sin."

 12/16 – Wednesday.

The Spirit of God has been with us

Almost hoarse, I could neither sing nor speak, but I determined at last to show myself where I had appointed to preach. I went to Sandwich, about noon, and found that the congregation was waiting for me, I trusted God and began to speak: The more I spoke, the more my voice was strengthened, and in a few minutes I think everyone could hear; and many, I believe, took notice that what they heard was not the word of man, but of God. I preached again at Margate in the afternoon, until my voice was almost as clear as it was before it began. The Spirit of God was with us.

12/21 – Monday.

I went to Sevenoaks, where God's work had been halted for many years.

I went to Sevenoaks, where God's work had been halted for many years. It was a rainy night; nevertheless, the chapel was crowded from one end to the other. God seemed to rest in an unusual manner upon the whole congregation. I was even more surprised to see the full house on a dark night and rainy morning; a sight that had not been seen for many years. Surely God is about to give this poor, dead people another gracious visitation.

12/25 – Friday (Christmas).

We began worship in the new chapel at 4 p.m., as usual

We began worship in the new chapel at 4 p.m., as usual; where I preached again, in the afternoon, after having officiated in West-Street, at the usual time.

12/27 – Sunday.

The tables have turned so much that I now have more invitations to preach in churches than I can accept.

I preached at St. Luke's Church, our parish, in the afternoon, to a large congregation on: "The Spirit and the bride say, Come! Let him who hears say, Come! Let him who is thirsty come, and let whoever wants to receive the water of life freely!" The tables have turned so much that I now have more invitations to preach in churches than I can accept.

12/31 – Thursday.

I preached in the new chapel, but to avoid cramping I went to bed at ten o'clock at night

I preached in the new chapel, but to avoid cramping I went to bed at ten o'clock in the evening. I was well served. I don't know when I suffered so much from this in one night. [2]

 

===============================

 



[1] https://juicyecumenism.com/2021/08/20/john-wesley-church-fathers-identity-of-methodism/

[2] The Diary of John Wesley, the Father of Methodism (1735-1791). Angular Editora, 2017.

Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas deste blog