Come, let's strike a few more blows at
Satan's kingdom
A summons from John Wesley
Odilon
Massolar Chaves
Copyright © 2026, Odilon Massolar Chaves
All rights reserved to the author.
It is allowed to read, copy and share for
free.
Article 184 of the Penal Code and Law 96710
of February 19, 1998.
Books published in the Wesleyan Digital
Library: 844
Books published by the author: 884
Cover:
http://veredasmissionarias.blogspot.com/2024/10/a-mais-impactante-oracao-de-john-wesley.html
Odilon Massolar Chaves is a
retired Methodist pastor, with a doctorate in Theology and History from the
Methodist University of São Paulo.
Son of Rev. Adherico
Ribeiro Chaves and Roza Massolar Chaves.
He is married to RoseMary.
He has two daughters:
Liliana and Luciana.
His thesis dealt with the
Methodist revival in England in the eighteenth century and its contribution as
a paradigm for our days.
Table of Contents
· Introduction
· Satan deceived them with the simplicity that
is in Christ
· What forces, then, can Satan rise up against
you?
· If Satan wanted to sift you like wheat
· What if God saw the good in allowing Satan to
sift you like wheat for a little while?
· Warning against Satan coming with his angelic
face
· Satan, who understands well how the mind is
influenced by the body
· So that you don't ignore Satan's devices and
lose all that God has done in her
· Satan also knows very well what we are made
of, and he always attacks us from the weak side
· How far away is this sudden emotion you speak
of a supernatural dart from Satan
· Two of our preachers here are in this satanic
delusion
· Come, let's strike a few more blows at
Satan's kingdom
· Satan stepped in and deceived the onlookers
· Satan whispered to those who began to taste
the powers of the world to come
· Satan strives to drive you to despair
· Satan really wanted to have us, so that he
can sift us like wheat
· Do not ignore Satan's devices
· THE God of Peace will soon hurt Satan under
his feet
· Satan, who does not fail to take advantage of
this
· Thus, Satan's devices are useless
· Satan strikes in his sleep
· A believer knows Satan's devices as many and
varied
· No wonder Satan fights for his own kingdom
· Then Satan accused you
· Go ahead, trampling on sin and Satan
· When Satan attacks us so violently, it
provokes jealousy
· this side, therefore, Satan can attack you
· If possible, Satan would keep them separate
· Its weight was due in part to diabolical
agency
· He gave Satan a commission to bombard you
· Beware of Satan transformed into an angel of
light: he cannot hurt you in any other way
· Wherever our Lord sows His good seed, Satan
will also strive to sow
· Satan, the murderer and deceiver
· The question of whether you are called to
preach or not comes wholly from the temptation of the devil
·
We
might reasonably expect Satan to fight in defense of his wavering kingdom
· Satan will surely endeavor to put obstacles
in the way of the people
============================
Introduction
"Come, let us strike a few more blows at
Satan's kingdom" is a 49-page book based on Wesley's letters. It is a
collection of Wesley's brief statements and directions.
To John Mason, on January
31, 1790, Wesley wrote and called for the fight against Satan's kingdom:
"Come, let us give a few more blows to Satan's kingdom, and then we will
depart in peace." [1]
The 'blow' struck "consisted of preaching repentance, opening new fronts of mission, discipling people in small groups and promoting social reforms". [2]
To Henry Moore, on September 18, 1787, Wesley wrote, "Considering the great work of God which has recently been accomplished in Dublin, we might reasonably expect Satan to fight in defense of his wavering kingdom. It is our role to resist calmly and firmly." [3]
Wesley "taught that Satan is a real and active adversary, but wholly under the sovereignty of God, whose chief devices consist in using subtleties, sowing doubts about faith and salvation, and trying to divide the Gospel against himself."[4]
Wesley wrote the sermon "The Devices of Satan" based on 2 Corinthians 2:11.
"Wesley taught that the devil does not possess the same power as God (there is no equality of forces), for he is totally under the control and authority of the Creator."[5]
On August 12, 1769, Wesley wrote to Miss Helena Sánchez. March said of the importance of the anointing: "Those who have the anointing of the Holy One are thus able to discern its artifices whenever they occur and to distinguish them from the influences of the good Spirit." [6]
Writing to Philothea Briggs on August 14, 1771, Wesley warned, "Satan also knows very well what we are made of, and always attacks us from the weak side." [7]
Wesley "rejected the idea of blaming the devil for all human errors as an excuse, arguing that human beings have freedom of choice and moral responsibility for their actions." [8]
To Mrs. Bennis, on December 1, 1773, Wesley cleared up his misconception and says, "How far this sudden emotion of which you speak is a supernatural dart of Satan and how far it goes out of your own heart is extremely difficult to judge. It is possible that it is neither one nor the other, but only an effect of the body's natural mechanism, which has no more good or evil than blushing or turning pale." [9]
To
Alexander Surer, on February 9, 1782, Wesley warns of one of Satan's purposes:
"Satan will certainly endeavor to put obstacles in the way of the people.
It's up to you to prevent or remove them as soon as possible." [10]
But Wesley also said to go
ahead trampling on Satan. That's what he wrote to Miss Helena. March, May 13,
1762: "Go forth, trampling on sin and Satan, and praising Him who has put
everything under your feet." [11]
At a time when there are
extremes on this subject, it is important to know Wesley's thought.
We recommend prayer for the
reading of this book.
The Author
============================
Satan deceived them
with the simplicity that is in Christ
But for this reason,
Satan deceived them with the simplicity that exists in Christ. By insensible
degrees they were led to value these extraordinary gifts more than the common
grace of God; and I couldn't convince them that a grain of humble love was better
than all these gifts put together. That, my dear friend, was what made me fear
for you
To Ann Bolton
LONDON, December 5,
1772.
MY DEAR SISTER,--I
don't know that you ever asked me a question that I didn't answer promptly.
I've never heard anyone mention anything about you for that reason; but I
myself was jealous of you. [See letter of November 28.] Perhaps I find fault
with you that others do not have; for I behold you on every side. I mark your
every move and temperament, because I long for you to be unblemished or
blemished.
What I saw in London
prompted the first warning I gave him. George Bell, William Green, [See
Journal, iii. 265, iv. 94; C. Wesley's Journal, i. 429; and letter of November
26, 1762, section I. 6, to Bishop Warburton.] and many others, then full of
love, were graced with extraordinary revelations and manifestations from God.
But for this reason, Satan deceived them with the simplicity that exists in
Christ. By insensible degrees they were led to value these extraordinary gifts
more than the common grace of God; and I couldn't convince them that a grain of
humble love was better than all these gifts put together. That, my dear friend,
is what made me fear for you. It reminds me of you several times. Faith and
hope are glorious gifts, as is every ray of eternity let into the soul. But
still, these are only means; The end of everything, and the greatest of all, is
love. May the Lord now pour this into your heart as He has never done before.
By all means, spend
an hour every other day in the labor of love, even if you can't help them as
you would. By entrusting you to the One who can make you perfect in every good
word and work, I am
With affection.[12]
What
forces, then, can Satan rise up against you?
What forces, then, can Satan rise up against
you? You can talk to me without reservation; 'Cause you know I love you so much
For
Mrs. Marston
LONDON,
December 14, 1770.
MY DEAR SISTER,-- If I live
to the spring, and have a clear and urgent calling, I am as ready to depart for
America [See the letters of February 21, 1770 (to Whitefield) and July 13, 1771
(to Miss Whitefield). March).] and Ireland. All places are the same for me; I'm
not attached to any one in particular. Wherever our Lord's work is done, that
is my place today. And we live only for today; It is not our job to think
tomorrow.
You expect to fight your
way forward. But I think the preachers understand you and can receive your
report; And so did most of her sisters. What forces, then, can Satan rise up
against you? You can talk to me without reservation; 'Cause you know I love you
so much.
The abundance of
deficiencies must remain as long as the soul remains in this clay house. As
long as the corruptible body darkens more or less, the soul will darken and
press upon the soul. But still your heart may be all love, and love is the
fulfillment of our law. Still, you can rejoice forever; They can pray without
ceasing and, in everything, give thanks. Peace be multiplied for you-- I am,
dear Molly,
Your affectionate brother. [13]
If Satan wanted to sift you
like wheat
Conflicts and various
exercises of the soul are permitted; these are also for the good. If Satan
wanted you to sift you like wheat, that is also for your benefit; they will be
purified in the fire, not consumed, and strengthened in all long patience with
joy.
For Mrs. Marston
CORK, May 6, 1771.
MY DEAR SISTER,-- I am
always glad to hear from you, and I hope to hear only good things. Conflicts
and various exercises of the soul are allowed; These are also for the good. If
Satan wanted you to sift you like wheat, that is also for your benefit; they
will be purified in the fire, not consumed, and strengthened in all long
patience with joy. Mr. Clough [James Clough was then posted at the
Staffordshire Circuit. He began to travel in 1760, and after ten or twelve
years settled in Leicester, where he died about 1795.] or any other preacher
who speaks against perfection or gives them occasions that trouble you. It
would do well to talk to anyone who does, so that you can come to a better
understanding. As for you, let us not speak of the good that is in you. But
beware lest the cruel use of your brethren betray them into any kind of cunning
or false prudence. Still, let the whole conversation be in divine simplicity
and sincerity. Be direct, open, direct, undisguised. Do you always see God and
feel His love? You pray without ceasing and give thanks in everything. I hope
you don't forget to pray for my dear Molly,
Your affectionate brother. [14]
What if God saw the good in
allowing Satan to sift you like wheat for a little while?
O careful, do not be tired
or dizzy in your mind! See what blessings are in store for you. What if God saw
the good in allowing Satan to sift you like wheat for a little while? Still,
you have a friend before the throne above; and He prayed for you that your
faith would not fail.
To Ann Bolton
ROOSKY, June 8, 1771.
Woman, remember faith! It
is given to you to believe in the name of the Son of God! No, and also suffer
with Him, drink a little of the cup from which He drank. O careful, do not be
tired or dizzy in your mind! See what blessings are in store for you. What if
God saw the good in allowing Satan to sift you like wheat for a little while?
Still, you have a friend before the throne above; and He prayed for you that
your faith would not fail. You won't lose anything in the furnace other than
your dirt; You will be purified, not consumed. I can't tell you how close
you've been to me since learning of your current visit. And why shouldn't you
expect the One who loves you a thousand times more than I do to heal soul and
body together? Look for Him! He is not far from the truth! Come, Lord Jesus!
Come quickly.--I'm
Your affectionate brother. [15]
Warning against Satan
coming with his angelic face
Otherwise, whence arises
this general complaint that you do not answer their letters, oh, that you can
be sufficiently alert against Satan coming with his angelic face! I want you to
be exactly right in everything
To Ann Bolton
BRISTOL, October 1, 1774.
MY DEAR SISTER,--I hope to
be in Wallingford on Monday, the 17th of this day; Tuesday, the 18th, at noon,
in Oxford; at five or six in the evening in Finstock; and on Wednesday night in
Witney.
There
is no exercise more profitable to the soul than that of the presence of God. It
is also of great use to pay constant and invariable attention to your inner
voice. And yet, there's a danger
even in that
--No, there is a twofold
danger: it is very possible, on the one hand, that you may slip insensibly into
quietism, become less zealous for good works; on the other hand, that you may
slide into stoicism, you may suffer loss in the love of your neighbor, especially
of that tender affection for friends, which does not weaken but strengthens the
soul. I must speak freely when I speak to you: it is perfectly natural. I am
afraid you have already suffered some loss because of this amiable temperament.
Otherwise, whence arises this general complaint that you do not answer their
letters, oh, that you can be sufficiently alert against Satan coming with his
angelic face! I want you to be exactly right in everything. You have always
been a great comfort to me; but you have scarcely given pain (except for your
own pain) to, my dear Nancy,
With affection. [16]
Satan, who understands well
how the mind is influenced by the body
To
Ann Bolton
BRISTOL, September 27, 1777.
Shall I not tell my dear
friend all that is in my heart? I see no reason not to do that. I've been doing
this since I first met you, and especially since you were with me in London.
Then I got to know you more intimately: I tasted your spirit. I have observed
all your temperaments and marked you as the 'sister of my choice'. So I've been
looking at you ever since, without any range or variation. And sometimes you
were free and open with me; But at other times you've been more shy and
distant. My Nancy, may this time of distance and reserve not come back! Be to
me always (if you can) what I am to you, a faithful and tender-hearted friend.
No doubt Satan, who well
understands how the mind is influenced by the body, can, by means of those
parts of the animal machine which are most immediately subservient to thought,
raise a thousand perceptions and emotions in the mind, so far as God permits. I
doubt not, but he was the main agent in his last and painful exercises. [See
the September 15 letter to her.] And you gave him the upper hand by reasoning
with him—that is, fighting him even with your own weapons; instead of simply
looking up and saying, 'You will answer for me, O Lord my God.'
No doubt, you want more
gratitude. And you want more simplicity; that grace, says Cambray, 'which cuts
the soul from all unnecessary reflections on itself.' You are surrounded by ten
thousand mercies; and the greatest of all is: 'Christ in a pure and undefiled
heart! 'Beware of admitting any doubt or reasoning about it! The one you have
achieved, hold on! And use all the grace you have received. Warn everyone, and
exhort everyone, especially those who groan after complete salvation.
I cannot, in any way, pass
a whole day without commending you to God in prayer. Thank you for writing to me
so early.
Keep loving and praying
for, my dear Nancy,
With all the affection. [17]
So that you don't
ignore Satan's devices and lose all that God has done in her
I wish you could help
poor Molly Stralliger. I often fear for her, lest she overlook Satan's devices
and lose all that God has done in her.
To Peggy Dale
PORTPATRICK, March
29, 1767.
MY DEAR PEGGY,--
Those you mention are really Israelites, with whom you would do well to speak
freely. Some others in Newcastle have the same spirit; though there are few in
whom gold is free from dirt.
I wish you could help
poor Molly Stralliger. I often fear for her, lest she overlook Satan's devices
and lose all that God has done in her.
Do you still find in
yourself a testimony that God has cleansed your heart from sin? Do you ever
feel a return of pride, anger, self-will, or foolish desire? Do you constantly
resist, seeing the One who is invisible? Are you always aware of his loving presence?
Are you always happy in it? He keeps you asleep and awake, and make your own
devout dreams, O stand firm in glorious liberty! And remind yourself daily, my
dear sister,
Your affectionate
brother. [18]
Satan also knows very well what we are made
of, and he always attacks us from the weak side
The various ideas and suggestions you mention
are exactly the ones that anyone with a vivid imagination can expect. Satan
also knows very well what we are made of, and he always attacks us from the
weak side.
To
Philothea Briggs
O
FENO, August 14, 1771.
MY
DEAR PHILLY,-- If you find any comfort or help in this, keep writing, without
any reason on the subject. So far, I need not think about my going to America
[See the letters of July 13, 1771 (to Miss Helena). March) and February 1,
1772.]; I have a few more deals to settle in Europe. The various ideas and
suggestions you mention are exactly the ones that anyone with a vivid
imagination can expect. Satan also knows very well what we are made of, and he
always attacks us from the weak side. But these and a thousand clouds passing
over your mind prove nothing as to the state of your heart: see that it be
dedicated to Him, and that is enough. You have given it to Him: stand firm in
your gift. However, then, your imagination may be affected, you will have the
testimony of a good conscience towards God. Not but that they may supplicate
this promise, 'The peace of God shall guard their hearts and minds by Christ
Jesus.' Just as the first word encompasses all his passions, the second also
encompasses all the mechanisms of his reason and imagination. Pray, therefore,
and seek the answer to your prayer. It will come, and it won't be long! You did
well to let go of that little idol. You can fast on Fridays by reducing the
amount of breakfast or dinner a little. Do all the good you can for Miss
Helena. Lambert. Peace be with all your spirits-- I am, my dear Philly,
With
affection.
Soon
I will be in Bristol.[19]
How far away is this sudden emotion you speak
of a supernatural dart from Satan
How far this sudden emotion you speak of is a
supernatural dart from Satan and how far it goes out of your own heart is
extremely difficult to judge. It is possible that it is neither the one nor the
other, but only an effect of the body's natural mechanism, which has no more
good or evil than blushing or turning pale
For
Ms. Bennis
SHEERNESS, Dec. 1, 1773.
MY DEAR SISTER,-- Some time
ago, when I heard that Brother Bennis had become very rich, I was afraid for
you lest the world should again find a way into your heart and quench your
noblest affections. I don't regret that you don't have that temptation. It is
very desirable to have neither poverty nor wealth; But still, you can't be
without temptation unless you want to get out of the world. How far this sudden
emotion you speak of is a supernatural dart from Satan and how far it goes out
of your own heart is extremely difficult to judge. It is possible that it is
neither one nor the other, but only an effect of the body's natural mechanism,
which has no more good or evil than blushing or turning pale. But, whether
natural or preternatural, it is painful for those who have a sensitive
conscience. So we can undoubtedly pray against it. And certainly He can and
will deliver us. Come, therefore, boldly to the throne of grace, and find grace
to help in times of need.
You will find full
employment in Waterford: I believe society demands your efforts. See,
therefore, that you may not be afraid to do good. "I am, my dear sister,
Your affectionate brother. [20]
Two of our preachers here are in this satanic delusion
I leaned my face against that artifice of Satan. Two of our preachers here are in this satanic delusion; but if they persist in defending it, I must let them fall.
To
Adam Clarke
LONDON, February 9, 1791.
DEAR ADAM, --You have great
reason to bless God for giving you strength according to your day. [See letter
of January 18.] He really supported you wonderfully in these complicated
afflictions. You may well say, 'I will put my trust in the Lord as long as I
live.' I wish Dr. Whitehead to consider your case and give you his opinions on
it. I'm not afraid of you doing little, but too much. I am in constant danger
of this. Do a little at a time, so you can get more done. My love to Sister
Cookman and Boyle [See letters of March 28, 1777, and May 2, 1787; and
Crookshank's Methodism in Ireland, i. 428.]; but I have doubts if I will still
cross the seas.
What preacher was this who
first omitted to meet with the Select Society? I wonder that this did not
destroy the work!
You did well to create the
Society of Strangers (Friends). It is an excellent institution.
I am quite lost in relation
to Mr. Madan. I don't know what to think of him. Send me your best thoughts on
it. Let the excluded preachers not invade again in any way. Anyway, write and
send me your opinions about Animal Magnetism. [See letter of January 3.] I
leaned my face against that artifice of Satan. Two of our preachers here are in
this satanic delusion; but if they persist in defending it, I must let them
fall. I know his principles very well. With much love to your wife, I am, my
dear Adam,
Your affectionate brother. [21]
Come, let's strike a few more blows at
Satan's kingdom
If you and I are called this year, may we
bless God that we have not lived in vain. Come, let us give a few more blows to
Satan's kingdom, and then we shall depart in peace
For John Mason
NEAR LONDON, JANUARY 13, 1790.
MY DEAR BROTHER, -- As long
as I live, the people will have no share in the choice of stewards or leaders
among the Methodists. We have never had and never had such a custom. We are not
Republicans, and we never pretend to be. It would be better for those who have
this mind to go away quietly. I have been uniform in both doctrine and
discipline for more than fifty years; And it's already a little too late for me
to take a new path now that I'm gray-haired. Nor good old Brother Pascoe
[Probably the grocer of St. John's, Cornwall, who received the preacher there.
His brother's wife was a mother of Methodism in Sithney. See Diary, iii. 261N;
Methodist Mag., 1801, p. 483.] (God bless you!) expects it from me, nor from
Brother Wood, [Richard Wood, of Port Isaac. See Diary, v. 283.] nor Brother
Flamank. [See letter of June 9, 1789.] If you and I are called this year, may
we bless God that we have not lived in vain. Come, let us strike a few more
blows at Satan's kingdom, and then we shall depart in peace! -- I am
Your affectionate friend and brother. [22]
Satan stepped in and deceived the onlookers
At
first, I thought it was just a cheat; but then Satan stepped in and deceived
the spectators, who had no ability to discern when the natural part ended and
the preternatural began
To Adam Clarke
MADELEY, March 25, 1790.
MY DEAR BROTHER, -- You
have done an exceptional job in making friends understand the case of that
young woman. I wonder how open she would be; Certainly she was limited to
revealing her own secrets. It now seems as clear as possible that this animal
magnetism [See letter of April 14.] is diabolical from beginning to end. At
first, I thought it was just a cheat; but then Satan stepped in and deceived
the onlookers, who had no ability to discern when the natural part ended and
the preternatural began. Go forward with faith and prayer to face and detect
all these depths of Satan. Peace be with your spirits! -- I am, dear Adam,
Your affectionate friend and brother. [23]
Note:
"Preternatural
describes something extraordinary, abnormal, or that seems to overcome the
forces of nature, lying beyond what is considered natural or ordinary"
(Google AI Mode Overview).
Satan whispered to those who began to taste
the powers of the world to come
In every age and country, Satan whispered to
those who began to taste the powers of the world to come (as well as to Gregory
Lopez): 'Au desert!' Au desert! Most of our little flock in Oxford have been
tested with this, especially my brother and I
To Mary Bishop
REIGATE, November 30, 1774.
MY DEAREST SISTER,-- We
become all things to all men, so as not to injure our own souls, when we first
secure a single eye, a firm plan, to please all for their good and edification,
and then we see to it that our discourse is always good for edifying and fine
use, which may minister grace to the hearers. But for that, we need power from
on high and the wisdom that is next to the throne. This alone allows us to
organize our conversation correctly, to benefit both others and our own souls.
Before this can be done
effectively, you must conquer your nature reserve and exercise it only with
those of whom you know nothing or of whom you know nothing good. There may be a
time when this is highly expedient, if not necessary—that is, when good people
(at least to some extent) sink under your character, spend time, or indulge in
a conversation that tends to improve either the speaker or the listener.
I don't think it will be
better for you to go out less than you ever did. Suppose you have more faith
and more love (as I would imagine you do), you should certainly go out more.
Otherwise, your faith will die callously. It is only by works that it can be
perfected. And the more the love of solitude is nurtured, the more it will
increase. This is a common temptation among men. In every age and country,
Satan whispered to those who began to taste the powers of the world to come (as
well as to Gregory Lopez): 'Au desert!' Au desert! Most of our little flock in
Oxford have been tested with this, especially my brother and I. No, but I say,
'To the Bible! To the Bible!' And there you will learn, "when you have
time, to do good to all men": to warn every man, to exhort every man when
you have opportunity; Although most of their care and work should be dedicated
to those who belong to the family of faith. Surely you can continue to do good
to others without jeopardizing the salvation of your own soul. What you desire
most at present is simplicity, in the sense of the Archbishop of Cambray's
word: that grace 'by which the soul discards all unnecessary reflections upon
itself.' I wish I could talk about you, as I said about a young man many years
ago when I sent her his little book,--
In art, in nature, we can
find
Colors
to represent you
Speak,
with Cambray's quill, into Sally's mind;
It is simplicity.
"I am, my dear Miss
Helena." Bishop,
With affection.
Miss S. Bishop, near the
Bath of the Cross, in Bath. [24]
Satan strives to drive you
to despair
But you were not wholly convinced
of the consanguineous sin—the sin of your nature. God is now convicting you of
this to give you a clean heart; and Satan strives to drive him to despair
For James Copeland
GLASGOW, May 14, 1786.
MY DEAR BROTHER, - There is
no reasonable doubt that you had at the time to mention a real blessing from
God. I do not question that He then gave you a taste of forgiving love; But you
were not wholly convinced of the consanguineous sin—the sin of your nature. God
is now convicting you of this to give you a clean heart; and Satan strives to
drive him to despair. But don't consider it. Look to Jesus; I dare to believe
that I crave Christ! Wrestle with Christ in mighty prayer. Yes,
A sigh will reach His
heart; One look
It will bring it from the
sky.
He's nearby! - I'm
Your affectionate brother. [25]
Satan really wanted
to have us, so that he can sift us like wheat
Your resolution has
been somewhat shaken here; But now it seems more stable than before. Satan has
really desired to have us, so that he can sift us like wheat. But our Lord
prayed for us; so that the faith of a few has failed. By far the greater part
of those who were tempted came out like gold from the fire
To Ebenezer Blackwell
BRISTOL, August 23,
1739.
DEAR SIR, -- I have
not had half an hour of free time to write since I received yours of the 14th
of the present day, in which the note of 15 11s was attached.
The Captain's
[Captain James Whitefield, master of a ship, brother of George Whitefield, died
suddenly in February, 1766 at the Countess of Huntingdon's house in Bath.] to
London, as he possesses, was the happiest, so I believe it was the most useful
he ever had. Your resolution has been somewhat shaken here; But now it seems
more stable than before. Satan has really desired to have us, so that he can
sift us like wheat. But our Lord prayed for us; so that the faith of a few has
failed. By far the greater part of those who were tempted came out like gold
out of the fire.
It seems to me a
clear proof that the power of God is very much with these people, for they are
tempted in a manner seldom common to men. No sooner do any of them begin to
taste true freedom, they are shaken both within and without. Satan's messengers
surround them on all sides. Many are already expelled from home by their
parents or employers; Many expect this every day. But they count all these
things as dung and garbage, so that they can win Christ. O that if His name be
called upon us, let us have us so--I am, dear sir,
Your affectionate
friend and servant in Christ.
To Mr. Blackwell, at
Mr. Martin's house,
Banker, in Lombard
Street, London. [26]
Do not ignore Satan's devices
And if you use all the power that is then given, He will not only continue that power, but will increase it day by day. In the meantime, don't ignore Satan's devices: he will attack you from all sides; He'll cast temptations on you
To Elizabeth Ritchie
EDINBURGH, June 3, 1774.
MY DEAR BETSY,--I want to
hear that you stand firm in the freedom with which Christ has set you free. It
is absolutely certain that you need never lose anything that God has made. He
is able and willing to always give you what he has already given. He will, as
long as you attend prayer and awaken the gift of God that is in you. There is
an invariable rule which God observes in all His dealings with the children of
men: 'To him that has,' uses that which he has, 'shall be given, and shall have
more abundantly.' When we are justified, He gives us a talent; to those who use
it He gives more. When we are sanctified, He gives, as it were, five talents.
And if you use all the power that is then given, He will not only continue that
power, but will increase it day by day. In the meantime, don't ignore Satan's
devices: he will attack you from all sides; He'll cast temptations on you
Thick as autumnal leaves
that spread the ground.
But with every temptation
there will be a way to escape; and you will be more than a conqueror through
Him who loves you. You can do it, you can endure all of His will. Go in His
name and in the power of His power; and realize the joy of
With affection. [27]
THE God of Peace will soon hurt Satan under his feet
Stand firm, my dear friend, and be strong in the Lord.
Remember, the God of Peace will soon hurt Satan under your feet. May he give
you every "thing" that will propel your Growth in Grace!
Dce. 4.
I don't
know if God's providence will ever allow me to see her again. But I can leave
it to him, with certain hopes that he will find his Spirit happy in the Realms
of the Eternal Day. There we shall surely exult in the presence of a Redeemer.
We shall see him as he is. And indeed, when I have a view, however transient,
of the glory that will be revealed, I am almost impatient with delay: I am
ready to cry out, Why do the wheels of your chariots take so long to arrive? I
want to leave here and no longer be seen as a member of the Earth. 'This has
been some time past my usual desire. I cannot help rejoicing in the evening,
that one day more of the destined portion has passed, and eternity is nearer to
me than when I first believed. But at the same time, I have reason to be
ashamed before the Lord, for I do not live for his glory. I do not love you
with all my Heart and Strength; so far from it, that I sometimes feel like I
have never done an Action with a single Eye for its Glory. My own will mingled,
and "pride, that busy sin, I have spoiled all that I have done." It
is good for me that our High Priest bears the Iniquity of My Holy Things. In
fact, if the Altar did not sanctify the Essential, it could not approach with a
single Offering. O may he purify the Sacrifice which I have so often made, of
all that I have, can or am! Look! Stand firm, my dear friend, and be strong in
the Lord. Remember, the God of Peace will soon hurt Satan under your feet. May
he give you every "thing" that will propel your Growth in Grace! [28]
Satan, who does not fail to
take advantage of this
T. Rutherford told him the
truth. There are three causes for his inward trials: (1) bodily disturbance, by
which the body presses upon the soul; (2) Satan, who does not fail to take advantage
of this; (3) their own frailty in reasoning with him instead of seeking
strength from the Strong.
To William Minethorp
LONDON, November 29, 1776.
DEAR BILLY,-- You have
nothing to do with past sins. They are erased. Whoever says otherwise, answer:
'You are a liar. Stay behind me, Satan. I will not take away my confidence:
Jesus lived, died for me.' T. Rutherford told him the truth. There are three
causes for his inward trials: (1) bodily disturbance, by which the body presses
upon the soul; (2) Satan, who does not fail to take advantage of this; (3)
their own frailty in reasoning with him instead of seeking strength from the
Strong. No one can advise you better about your body than Dr. Hamilton. I'm
afraid you can't give me that money. Whenever you want, send a message to, dear
Billy, your affectionate brother.
To Mr. William Minethorp,
at Chester Hall, near Dunbar. [29]
Thus,
Satan's devices are useless
That
misunderstanding, which was problematic for a season, may now be buried
forever. I am perfectly pleased, both by the honesty and the affection, of both
Brother Woodcroft and Brother Birks. Thus Satan's devices are useless.
To
Samuel Bardsley
NEAR
LONDON, FEBRUARY 10, 1781.
DEAR
SAMMY, -- I did not doubt it, but you would agree with the people of Sheffield.
[Rogers was assistant at Sheffield, with Bardsley as third preacher.] They are
a lively and affectionate people. I'm glad you were so successful in your labor
of love for them. This assistance was very appropriate for the time.
That
misunderstanding, which was problematic for a season, may now be buried
forever. I am perfectly pleased, both by the honesty and the affection, of both
Brother Woodcroft and Brother Birks. [Samuel Birks, from Thorpe. Look at the
portrait of him, ninety-five-year-old Methodist Mug. 1825, p. 718; and
Everett's Methodism in Sheffield.] Thus Satan's devices are useless.
I
doubt that James Rogers and you will recommend our books everywhere, and
especially the magazines, which will be a testimony to me when I am no longer
seen. -- I am, dear Sammy,
Your
affectionate brother. [30]
Satan
strikes in his sleep
I
have known Satan attack in his sleep (trying to terrify or frighten) those he
could not touch when they were awake
For Miss Helena. March
ATHLONE, May 13, 1762.
You did well to write. 'It
is good to hide the secrets of a king, but to declare the loving kindness of
the Lord.' [See Tobit xii. 7.] Have you never met any bum since? Your mind has
always been on God. Do you find every thought led to the obedience of Christ?
Do not lodge in you vain thoughts (useless, insignificant, unedifying? Does the
corruptible body sometimes, more or less, press upon the soul? Did God make his
own devout dreams? I have known Satan attack in his sleep (trying to terrify or
frighten) those he could not touch when they were awake.
As
for your band, there are two types of people you might have to deal with—the
sincere and the off-duty: the way you should deal with one is quite different
from the way one would deal with the other. The latter you should look for and
find out why they are relaxed; He exhorts them to repent, to be zealous, to do
the first works. The first is just to encourage, exhort them to advance to the
goal, tell them to grab the prize so close! And do it yourself. Receive a
thousand more blessings; Believe more, love more: You can't love enough. Beware
of sins of omission. In this way you will fulfill the joy of your affectionate
brother. [31]
A believer
knows Satan's devices as many and varied
It is true
that a believer knows the devices of Satan as many and varied. But the Apostle
means more than this—namely, that those who have the anointing of the Holy One
are thus able to discern his artifices whenever they occur, and to distinguish
them from the influences of the good Spirit, however finely disguised they may
be
For Miss Helena.
March
CARMARTHEN, August
12, 1769.
Sometimes it is
necessary to say, 'I will pray with the Spirit as well as with the
understanding.' At other times, the understanding has little to do with it,
while the soul is poured out in passive prayer. I believe we have found the
answer to many prayers at the Conference, especially in the last two days. By
the end, all the preachers were melted as they sang those lines to me,--
You who saved me here
for so long,
A slightly longer
salvage test;
Till, free from sin
and fear,
I sink into a grave.
Until I'm happy to
lay my body down,
The footsteps of your
servant follow;
And oh, my crown of
mercies
With a triumphant
end!
Several scriptures
show that we can pray with resignation for the life or tranquility of a friend:
it is enough that every petition be closed with: 'Not as I will, but as You
will.' It is true that a believer knows the devices of Satan as many and varied.
But the Apostle means more than this—namely, that those who have the anointing
of the Holy One are thus able to discern his artifices whenever they occur, and
to distinguish them from the influences of the good Spirit, however finely
disguised they may be. Answering for ourselves is often a criticism; and we
much prefer to let people think and speak as they please: but it is a cross
that we must often assume; otherwise, we 'do not walk in charity' if we do not
'reprove our brother'; If we "suffer sin upon him," we "hate our
brother deep down."
If Ms. Thornton
arriving in London, he would like you to take the first opportunity to talk to
her. She will need a faithful friend more now than she has ever had in her
life. I hope she hears reasons and more reasons why she should, out of duty,
adapt a little to the world, have a few little friendships, and not be so picky
about her dress. Now, as you have heard all this before, and have been enabled
by the grace of God to discover Satan even with the face of his angel, and to
resist all his attacks firmly, you will be better able to help and confirm it
if you seek it out before it is too shaken.
I was a little
surprised that several who, I believe, are full of love, but do not wish to
die. It seems that God does not usually grant this wish until the hour of death
approaches. Perhaps for many this would be of little use. First, let them learn
how to live.
No doubt this rest
was given "to sustain him during his sickness." But this is no reason
why it should be withdrawn: it was certainly a degree of that rest which
remains for the people of God. But it may be called by this or any other name;
Names matter little: what you never have to let go. You can live in and for
Jesus; Yes, and this continually, by simple faith and holy and humble love.
Leave Mary Thornton
[Miss Thornton now lived with Miss March. See Methodist Magazine, 1805, p. 37;
and letter in May, 1769, also on July 6, 1770.] Be as sensible as she wants or
can be in relation to her own powerlessness and poverty. But let her not abandon
that confidence which brings great reward. She experienced the pure love of
God; Let no one take advantage of her being judged by fire (if necessary) to
convince her to give it up. This general promise, 'In blessing will I bless
thee,' certainly contains all the promises, whether related to this life or the
next; and all are yours! May peace be multiplied upon you! [32]
No wonder Satan fights for his own kingdom
It is good that the
Lord sits above the floods and remains King forever. No wonder Satan fights for
his own kingdom when such advances are made upon him
To Robert Cart
Brackenbury
BRISTOL, September
24, 1785.
DEAR LORD, - It is
good that the Lord sits above the floods and remains King forever. No wonder
Satan fights for his own kingdom when such advances are made upon him. But
Beyond his chain, he
cannot go;
Our Jesus will awaken
His power
And soon he will
avenge us on our enemy.
After observing a day
of fasting and prayer, I knew the most violent convulsions calmed at once. But,
without a doubt, all probable means must be used. One in particular that might
be worth trying – namely, to soften the spirit of that angry magistrate. [See
letter of November 24.] God has the hearts of all men in His hand; and if the
heart of this warrior was already transformed, then those who had hitherto been
encouraged by him would vanish like smoke. It is not unlikely, but his response
to this scandalous slander may be a means of mitigating his prejudice. - It is
I, dear sir,
Your very
affectionate friend and brother. [33]
Then Satan accused you
No doubt it would be a
cross for you to declare what God has done for your soul; no, and then Satan
would accuse you of it, saying: 'You did it out of pride.' Yes, and some of
your sisters would blame you, and perhaps apply the same interpretation to it.
However, if you do it with one eye, it will be very pleasing to God
To Elizabeth Briggs
CASTLEBAR, May 31, 1771.
MY DEAR BETSY,-- You judge
rightly: you are still only a child, only a babe in the pure love of Christ. As
a child, hold on to it and simply wait for a supply of all your desires. In
this respect, reasoning is of no benefit; in fact, it is just the opposite of
believing, that you hear the inner voice, which says, 'Open your mouth wide,
and I will fill it.' No doubt it would be a cross for you to declare what God
has done for your soul; no, and then Satan would accuse you of it, saying: 'You
did it out of pride.' Yes, and some of your sisters would blame you, and
perhaps apply the same interpretation to it. However, if you do it with a
single eye, it will be very pleasing to God.
Your letters will always be
pleasing to, my dear Betsy,
With affection. [34]
Go ahead, trampling on sin
and Satan
Go forth, trampling on sin
and Satan, and praising the One who has put everything under your feet
To Philothea Briggs
[YORK], July 13, 1774.
I trust that all your
sorrows now turn to joy, and that you are able in everything to give thanks. Go
forth, trampling on sin and Satan, and praising the One who has put everything
under your feet. [35]
When Satan attacks us so
violently, it provokes jealousy
That which you have
mentioned is common to man; but when Satan attacks us so violently, he provokes
us to jealousy
To
Sarah Mallet
NEAR LONDON, DECEMBER 13,
1790.
DEAR SALLY,-- I'm glad you
reminded me of the books. Brother George Whitfield had already forgotten about
them. I'm going to refresh his memory. Tell me about anything you want, and I
love you too well to let you want it for too long. Some time ago, it seems that
you let this word slip from your mind: 'My son, if you serve the Lord, prepare
your soul for temptation.' Particularly, if you exhort others to serve Him,
then expect a wave of temptation. That which you have mentioned is common to
man; but when Satan attacks us so violently, he provokes jealousy. Someone
stronger than him. I'm glad you've been in and on Diss, and that there's a good
understanding between you and your sister. [Elizabeth Reeve. See letter of July
31.] Let this be the only contest between you, which will be the most zealous
and humble. I was very pleased, when together, to discover that you could speak
to me without reservation, as I hope you always will. For has not God given me
to you as a tender guard of your youth? And I believe you will find few who
will care for you more tenderly than, dear Sally,
With affection. [36]
On this side, therefore,
Satan can attack you
Suppose you are saved from
sin, it is certain that you are not saved from a possibility of error. On this
side, therefore, Satan can attack you; You can be deceived as much as people or
things. You may think better or (which is much stranger) you may think worse of
them than they deserve
For
Ms. Ryan
LONDON,
November 30, 1757.
MY
DEAR SISTER, -- Your letter has come at a seasonal time, like rain in times of
drought. How unpleasant we would excuse those we love! I would gladly absolve
those who condemn themselves severely. The evil with myself does not deserve to
be thought about; It doesn't leave me even a moment of discomfort. But I feel
pain for others, who, if they do not sin against God, still give great reason
to the enemy to blaspheme.
You
can learn an excellent lesson from this. Suppose you are saved from sin, it is
certain that you are not saved from a possibility of error. On this side,
therefore, Satan can attack you; You can be deceived as much as people or
things. You may think better or (which is much stranger) you may think worse of
them than they deserve. And so, there may arise words or actions which, if they
are not sinful in you, are certainly wrong in themselves, and which must and
will appear sinful to those who cannot read your heart. What a great
inconvenience would happen! How good in you would be spoken to evil! How great
a gift of God would be doubted, if not discredited and denied for his sake!
Therefore, in the name of God, I exhort you, keep close to every moment of the
anointing of the Holy One! I pay attention to the calm and small voice! Beware
of hearing a stranger's voice! My eyes hurt, my head hurts, my heart hurts. And
yet I don't know when I must have done it. [He spent this Wednesday and the
previous Monday listening to an 'intricate cause' where 'one side stated
categorically, the other categorically denied.' See Diary, iv. 245.] O say
nothing, act nothing, think nothing but what you have been taught about God!
Though
He abideth with His weakness,
Not
for a moment does he move away;
Evil
and danger turn away,
And
keep your hand, your tongue, your heart.
Thus
you will always comfort, not sadden, [37]
If possible, Satan would
keep them separate
I
was happy to observe a freer relationship between Miss Helena Rodrigues.
Bosanquet and you than before. If possible, Satan would keep them separate. Don't ignore your devices
For Ms. Crosby
EDINBURGH, June 3, 1774.
MY DEAR SISTER,-- I have
received an excellent letter from Betsy Ritchie. Her experience seems to be
very clear. But her youth exposes her to many temptations within, and her
circumstances to many from without. So that you need to take care of her with tenderness
and care, so that she does not stray from your firmness. I am convinced that
our dear Sister Clapham will not rest until she is conformed in all things to
our Head.
I've been wondering (since
our friends want it so much) if I couldn't spend another night in Leeds. And I
think I might consider taking a night out of York. I intend, God willing, to
leave York on Wednesday, July 13; to dine in Leeds that day, and preach there
at six-thirty in the afternoon. That way my horses can stay there until I
arrive. If Wakefield were on the way to Doncaster, I could preach there at nine
o'clock in the morning, on Thursday, July 14.
Wherever preachers simply
and strongly insist on full salvation, a blessing will accompany their word.
I was happy to observe a
freer relationship between Miss Helena Rodrigues. Bosanquet and you than
before. If possible, Satan would keep them separate. Don't ignore your devices.
Please speak freely to Duncan Wright. I'm afraid he suffered a loss.
Peace
be with all. [38]
Its weight was due in
part to diabolical agency
There can be no
doubt, but its weight was due in part to diabolical agency. No, and Satan
sometimes, with God's permission, weakens the body. However, we are even in
this weakness of using natural means, as if it were by natural causes
For Hannah Ball
NEAR ENNISKILLEN, MAY 23,
1773.
MY DEAR SISTER,-- Thank you
for your comfortable letter. Right: 'precious in the sight of the Lord is the
death of His saints.' When there is any eminent example of mercy of this kind,
it is almost always a means of convincing and converting others. It is a season
that one would like to improve as much as possible; for then the windows of
heaven are open.
Our aim is to improve with
everything that happens—by good or bad success, so-called, by sickness or
health, by ease or pain; and this we can do through Christ by strengthening
ourselves. We know that chance is an empty sound: the Lord sits on His throne
and governs all things well. Love Him; trust him; praise be to Him.--My dear
sister,
Your affectionate brother. [39]
He gave Satan a commission to bombard you
From the moment you stopped meeting with your
class or band, you grieved by God's Holy Spirit, and He gave Satan a commission
to bombard you, and that commission will never be revoked until you begin to
meet again
To
Ann Bolton
HIGH WYCOMBE, November 4,
1790.
MY DEAR SISTER, THE MORE I CONSIDER
YOUR CASE, THE MORE CONVINCED I AM THAT YOU ARE IN THE SCHOOL OF GOD, AND THAT
THE LORD LOVES WHOM HE CHASTISES. From the moment you stopped meeting with your
class or band, you grieved by the Holy Spirit of God, and He gave a commission
to Satan to bombard you and that commission will never be revoked until you
start meeting again. Why, you were not a mother in Israel, a repairer of the
desolate places, a guide to the blind, a healer of the sick, a lifter of the
hands that hung downwards. Wherever you came, God was with you and shining on
your path. Many daughters acted virtuously; but you overcame them all. Woman,
remember faith! In the name of God, go again and do the first works! I exhort
you for my sake (who love you dearly), for God's sake, for the sake of your own
soul, to begin again without delay. The next day when you receive this, go and
meet a class or a band. Sick or well, go! If you can't say a word, go; and God
will go with you. You sink under the sin of omission! My friend, my sister, go!
It will, whether it succeeds or not. Break through the barrier! Take up your
cross. I repeat, do the first works; and God will restore your first love! And
you'll be a comfort, not a sorrow, to
With all the affection. [40]
Beware of Satan transformed into an angel of
light: he cannot hurt you in any other way
Beware of Satan transformed into an angel of
light: he cannot hurt you in any other way, for your heart is erect before God
and you desire to please him in all things
For
Ms. Knapp
BIRMINGHAM, March 25, 1781.
MY DEAR SISTER,-- I have
always loved you since I met you; but lately more than ever, because I believe
you are more devoted to God and more thirsty for all His image. [He was in
Worcester on the 20th and 21st.] I have seriously considered your case and will
tell my thoughts freely. Your body often puts pressure on your spirit because
of your nervous disorder. What, then, can be done, to at least diminish, if not
to remove it? Perhaps it can be removed entirely if you can follow advice. And
I think you can, with God's help. I advise: (1) Sleep early: never stay up
longer than ten o'clock for any business—no, not for reading or praying; Do not
offer murder for sacrifice. (2) Waking up early: never lie down for more than
seven hours, unless you go to bed later. (3) Beware of Satan transformed into
an angel of light: he cannot hurt you otherwise, for your heart is erect before
God, and you desire to please him in all things. (4) Receive advice, as far as
possible, from Brother Knapp; two are better than one: He loves you tenderly,
and God will often give you light for you!
I wish you to always be
filled with faith, love, and a standard for everyone around you. -- I am, my
dear sister,
Your affectionate brother. [41]
Wherever our Lord sows His good seed, Satan
will also strive to sow
Wherever our Lord sows His good seed, Satan
will also strive to sow His wrath; and they are tolerated, the wax and the
wheat, to grow together for a season, to exercise our faith and patience.
For
Mrs. Cock
NEAR BRISTOL, JULY 22,
1790.
MY DEAR SISTER, -- I have
reason to bless God that I can still see a little; that I may still go on with
my business: and it is enough that we should be enabled to do or suffer His
holy and acceptable will. No wonder that among you there are men speaking
wicked things. Wherever our Lord sows His good seed, Satan will also strive to
sow His will; and they are tolerated, the wax and the wheat, to grow together
for a season, to exercise our faith and patience. I hope that Mr. Stevens will
be more and more useful among you, for his eye is unique; So there is no
objection to him continuing with you a little longer. [William Stevens was
appointed to Portsmouth in 1790; died 1813.] I am always happy to hear a little
of your experience; And, in fact, the more, the merrier. Wishing you and yours
every blessing, I remain,
With all the affection. [42]
Satan, the murderer and deceiver
And we all have reason to praise Him for the
many signs we see of His approaching kingdom. Of course, Satan, the murderer
and deceiver of mankind, is already largely linked; He is no longer permitted
to deceive the nations, as in ages past
To Mary Cooke
LONDON, December 21, 1787.
MY DEAR SISTER, -- You have
an indescribable reason to praise God for His late manifestations to you. And
he will generally observe that great consolations are preceded by deep
exercises of the soul. And we all have reason to praise Him for the many signs
we see of His approaching kingdom. Of course, Satan, the murderer and deceiver
of mankind, is already largely linked; He is no longer allowed to deceive the
nations, as in ages past. And even in Roman countries, few are now called upon
to resist blood. If two or three of you continue in instant prayer, the work
will also revive in Trowbridge. When you are found, firmly desire the promise:
His word will speak and not lie. Peace be with all your spirits! -- I am, my
dear sister,
With all the affection. [43]
The question of whether you
are called to preach or not comes wholly from the temptation of the devil
For James Ridall
LONDON, December 17, 1787.
DEAR JAMES, -- If you don't
want to kill yourself, take special care never to preach loudly or for too
long. Always complete the service within an hour. So preaching won't hurt you.
[See letters of March 25, 1787, and April 18, 1789.]
Your affectionate brother. [44]
We might reasonably expect
Satan to fight in defense of his wavering kingdom
This is not strange at all. Considering the great work of God that has recently been accomplished in Dublin, we might reasonably expect Satan to fight in defense of his wavering kingdom. It is our role to resist calmly and firmly
BRISTOL,
September 18, 1787.
DEAR HENRY, -- That's not
strange at all. Considering the great work of God that has recently been
accomplished in Dublin, we might reasonably expect Satan to fight in defense of
his wavering kingdom. It is our role to resist calmly and firmly. In such a
case as you have mentioned, you are justified before God and man by preaching
at eleven o'clock on Sunday, advising only fervently those who have hitherto
received the sacrament in the church to do so still. But I don't imagine that
any blatant Calvinism will soon be preached in Bethesda. [Edward Smyth had
opened Bethesda in June 1786.]
I'm glad Sister Moon and
Dobson aren't idle, and that they preach abroad on Sundays. The death of this
sailor may be a warning to others. Watch with tenderness... [Tone name hanging
up.] and his coming to Dublin may be the salvation of his soul. Peace be with
all your spirits! -- I am, with affection to Nancy, dear Henry,
Your affectionate friend
and brother. [45]
Satan will surely endeavor
to put obstacles in the way of the people
It will take the greatest
possible care and attention, both in you and in John Moon in Exeter. [Moon and
Suter were the preachers at Tiverton.] For Satan will surely endeavor to put
obstacles in the way of the people. It's up to you to prevent or remove them as
soon as possible
For
Alexander Surer
LONDON, February 9, 1782.
MY DEAR BROTHER, -- You see
the wisdom of this counsel, 'Oh, take the Lord's time!' And there is a great
reason why we trust the Invisible God more than we can see Him.
Your affectionate brother. [46]
[1]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1787/
[2] Overview of Google's AI mode.
[3]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/
[4] Overview of Google's AI mode.
[5] Overview of Google's AI mode.
[6]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1769/
[7]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[8] Overview of Google's AI mode.
[9]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1773/
[10]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1782/
[11]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1762/
[12]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1772/
[13]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1770/
[14]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-177'/
[15]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[16]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1774/
[17]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1777/
[18]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1767/
[19]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[20]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1773/
[21]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1791/
[22]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/
[23]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/
[24]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1774/
[25]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1786/
[26]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1739/
[27]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1774/
[28]
https://finestofthewheat.org/plain_account_03/
[29]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1776/
[30]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1781/
[31]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1762/
[32] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1769/
[33]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1785
[34]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/
[35]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1774/
[36]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/
[37]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1757/
[38]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1774/
[39]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1773/
[40]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/
[41]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1781/
[42]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/
[43]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1787/
[44]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1787/
[45]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1787/
[46]
https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1782/
Comentários
Postar um comentário