The Power of Grace According to Wesley 

 

Odilon Massolar Chaves 

 

============================

  


Copyright © 2026, Odilon Massolar Chaves

All rights reserved to the author.

It is allowed to read, copy and share for free.

Article 184 of the Penal Code and Law 96710 of February 19, 1998.

Books published in the Wesleyan Digital Library: 847

Books published by the author: 887

Cover: Travels With Wesley - facebook

Odilon Massolar Chaves is a retired Methodist pastor, with a doctorate in Theology and History from the Methodist University of São Paulo.

Son of Rev. Adherico Ribeiro Chaves and Roza Massolar Chaves.

He is married to RoseMary.

He has two daughters: Liliana and Luciana.

His thesis dealt with the Methodist revival in England in the eighteenth century and its contribution as a paradigm for our days.

 

===========================

 

Table of Contents

 

 

·       Introduction

·       The basis of Methodism is the grace of certainty

·       otherwise, his salvation would be by works, not by grace

·       Danger of thinking little of God's grace given to him

·       His grace is sufficient for you

·       Nature yields to healing grace

·      True simplicity is that grace by which the soul is freed from all useless reflections upon itself

·       The God of all grace

·       You have 'received the Spirit of grace' and, to some extent, you realize righteousness

·       I want you and them to continually grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ

·       They increase in Dublin both in number and in grace

·       Grace is enough

·       By the grace of God, this is your faith

·       You can have so much more grace than before

·       Look not so much to Judgment, but to Grace

·       Your Grace is enough to make me respond without any hesitation

·       It has a lot of money and little fun

·       How Wholesome Is the Rain of Grace

·       Joy for the grace of God that is in you

·       They were led to value these extraordinary gifts more than the common grace of God

·       It will take a lot of grace to make it completely Christian

·       His grace is sufficient for you and His strength will be made perfect in your weakness

·       Come, therefore, boldly to the throne of grace

·       Invade the throne of grace, and persevere in it, and mercy shall descend

·       Forgiveness and holiness are admirably composed in that word "grace"

·       His grace is not enough for you

·       Methodists put all credit in faith and grace

·       Exercise all the grace and gifts God has given you

·       To receive an increase of grace for oneself, but also to pass it on to others

·       The great danger is that you will forsake the sacred channels of His grace

·       Sisters of grace, humility, meekness and resignation  

 

===========================

 

Introduction

 

 

"The Power of Grace According to Wesley" is a 44-page book based on Wesley's letters from which we take a collection of phrases, affirmations and teaching about grace.

In this book, we find several of Wesley's expressions about grace: "certainty of grace"; "healing grace"; "God of all grace"; "Spirit of grace"; "throne of grace"; channels of His grace"; "Rain of Grace", "sisters of grace", etc.

For Wesley, "grace is not just a theological concept, but the active, dynamic, and transforming presence of God in human life. He understood grace as the unmerited favor of God that works in different stages and forms, from the first awakening of consciousness to full spiritual maturity."[1]

To Mrs. Barton on May 8, 1770, Wesley wrote, "Your grace is sufficient for you. But you must keep growing if you keep standing; for no one can stand still. And is it not the Lord's will that you should receive daily a new increase of love? And see that you try so hard to comfort the mental, support the weak, confirm the vacillations, and recover those who are off the path." [2]

The three main manifestations of the power of grace according to Wesley's thought:

"1. Prevenient Grace (The Grace That Awakens)

It is grace that acts even before the human being is aware of God or desires salvation. It is the 'first breath' of the Holy Spirit in the human soul." [3]

"2. Justifying Grace (Forgiving Grace)

It is the moment when a person responds to God's call, repents of his sins, and puts his faith in Jesus Christ. Wesley called this moment the "new birth" or conversion.[4]

To the author of 'The Craftsman', Wesley wrote in [July] 1745:

"Methodists put all credit in faith and grace, and none in good works. This strange unjustifiable sect of a religion, founded on folly, holds that there is no justification by good works, but only by faith and grace. [5]

"3. Sanctifying Grace (The Transforming Grace)

For Wesley, salvation is not limited to forgiveness alone, but to a deep and ongoing transformation of character. Sanctifying grace is the presence of God that restores His image in humanity." [6]

To Joseph Benson on April 2, 1781, Wesley stated, "How admirably pardon and holiness are composed in that word 'grace'! Mercy and strength! Just as our justifications and sanctifications are intertwined." [7]

 

 

===========================

 

The basis of Methodism is the grace of certainty

 

 

"The ground of Methodism is the grace of certainty' (excuse a little impropriety in the expression), 'regeneration being only a preparation for it.' In fact, this is somewhat 'confusing and unintelligible'. I will endeavour to help you. The fundamental doctrine of the people called Methodist is: Whoever is saved, first of all it is necessary that he have the true faith; — the faith that works out of love; which, through the love of God and neighbor, produces both inward and outward holiness.

 

 

To the Editor of 'Lloyd's Evening Post' Editor's Introductory Notes: 1760

[14] LONDON, November 17, I 760.

 

SIR,-- In your last article we received a letter from a very angry gentleman (although he says he was as good-natured as possible), who personifies himself as a clergyman, but who, I presume, is in reality a servant of the theatre. He is very vehemently against the persons commonly called Methodists, 'ridiculous impostors', 'religious buffoons,' as he calls them; 'wandering saints' (a beautiful and picturesque expression), full of 'inconsideration, folly, melancholy, enthusiasm'; teaching a 'tangled and unintelligible system' of religion —yes, a 'contradictory or self-contradictory'; no, a 'mere illusion', a 'destructive plan, and of pernicious consequence'; since 'a hypothesis is a very slippery base to risk everything.'

I think the gentleman confused his character a little: it seems that he exchanged the sock for the buskin. But, in any case, the general accusations prove nothing. Let's get to the details. Here they are: 'The ground of Methodism is the grace of certainty' (excuse a little impropriety in the expression), 'regeneration being only a preparation for it.' In fact, this is somewhat 'confusing and unintelligible'. I will endeavour to help you. The fundamental doctrine of the people called Methodist is: Whoever is saved, first of all it is necessary that he have the true faith; — the faith that works out of love; which, through the love of God and neighbor, produces both inward and outward holiness. This faith is an evidence of things unseen; and he who believes in this way is regenerated, or born of God; and he has the witness in himself (call it certainty or whatever you prefer): the Spirit himself bears witness with his spirit that he is the son of God. 'From what scripture' each of these propositions 'was collected,' any common agreement will show. 'This is the true portrait of Methodism,' so called. 'A religion superior to this' (the love of God and man) no one can 'enjoy', either in time or in eternity.

But Methodists do not consider 'good works meritorious.' No; neither ours, nor any other Protestant Church. But in the meantime they consider it their duty in the woods, for they have time, to do good to all men; and they know that the day will come when God will reward every man according to his works (...).

Note: "According to John Wesley, the 'grace of assurance' (or the witness of the Spirit) means that the believer can consciously and internally experience the forgiveness of his sins and his reconciliation with God. It is not a question of a purely theoretical or cold deduction, but of an intimate conviction generated by the Holy Spirit in the human heart." (Google AI Mode Overview). [8]

 

Otherwise, your salvation would be by works, not by grace

 

Will you find in yourself anything other than inadequacy? Otherwise, his salvation would be of works, not of grace. But you are often weary of a bad disease—evil reasoning; which harms both his holiness and his happiness.

 

For Ms. Bennis 

ASHBY, July 27, 1770.

DEAR SISTER,-- Will you find in yourself anything but inadequacy? Otherwise, his salvation would be of works, not of grace. But you are often weary of a bad disease—evil reasoning; which harms both his holiness and his happiness. You want true Christian simplicity, which is in fact the highest wisdom. Nothing is clearer, according to the simple biblical account, than sanctification, pure love reigning in the heart and life. And nothing is clearer than the need for this to feel happiness here and in the hereafter. Check all the reasoning on these basic principles, otherwise you will darken your soul a lot; And keep denying yourself, and taking up your cross, until you

Sink to the height of perfection,

The depth of humble love.

If the preachers of the Waterford Circuit had punctually followed the plan I had laid down, the horse would not have been a problem; But the misfortune is that every idiot is wiser than I am. However, at your desire, I will send a second preacher into the circuit after the Conference; But preachers need to change regularly. It would never be well to let a man sit for six months with a small Society; Soon he would preach himself and them as dead as stones. Your alteration of the circuit to accommodate the poor and dead Clonmel I greatly approve, and I hope that Sister L-- [See letter of June 13] will be a blessing to the few present. I rejoice at the happy launch of Sisters P and B--. [Mrs. Bennis told him that they both died triumphant.] Isn't it worth living for?

Still approach the source by simple faith, and take as much as you want; But don't be lazy in

The vineyard of your Lord.--My dear sister,

With affection. [9]

 

Danger of thinking little of God's grace given to him

 

It is true that there is a danger, and this continually, of thinking too much of oneself. But there is another danger to which you are more immediately exposed: thinking little of the grace of God given you.

 

To Ann Bolton

SEVENOAKS, December 15, 1770.

MY DEAR SISTER,-- It is true that there is a danger, and this continually, of thinking too much of yourself. But there is another danger to which you are more immediately exposed: thinking little of the grace of God given you. Instantly resist any reasoning about it, even if you're in a state of acceptance. As sure as you are in the body, hold this jeium, by His free and almighty grace; and then

Expect His fullness to receive AND grace to respond to grace.

It may be helpful for you to prayerfully read again the sermon on The Repentance of Believers, which will show you exactly where you are now, and The Scriptural Way to Salvation. [See Works, v. 156-70, vi. 43-54.] In a sense, faith is all you want. If you can believe, aren't all things possible for those who believe? What don't you get today? At this time? Right now?.[10]

 

His grace is sufficient for you

 

The Lord loves you, and His grace is sufficient for you. Ask, and receive, so that your joy may be full

 

To Penelope Newman  

 

NEAR BRISTOL, MARCH 6, 1772.

MY DEAR SISTER,-- You are called to do all you can for God. How little is all this! Therefore, by all means, find this other class, and it will be a blessing to your own soul.

When I last spoke to you, God gave you to enjoy a clear deliverance from blood sin. I hope you will find no return from that death, though you will certainly encounter innumerable temptations. But beware of discarding that confidence which brings great reward in reward. You never have to feel pride, anger, or any other evil temper again. The Lord loves you, and His grace is sufficient for you. Ask, and receive, that your joy may be full.--I am, my dear sister,

With affection. [11]

Note: (Or congenital/innate sin) refers to original sin, the corruption of human nature inherited from Adam, and the root of selfishness present in humans (Google AI Mode Overview).

 

Nature yields to healing grace

 

His feelings tended to be too impetuous, and sometimes unequal as well; but nature yields to healing grace, which I believe has made you both calmer and firmer

 

To Philothea Briggs

WHITEHAVEN, April 12, 1772.

His feelings tended to be too impetuous, and sometimes unequal as well; But nature yields to healing grace, which I believe has made you both calmer and firmer. [See letter of September 13, 1771.] And what will that not do if you persevere in all that is lovely, sacred, and happy! The One who loves you gives you a taste of what He has prepared for you. Let patience make its work perfect, and you will be perfect and whole, lacking nothing. Make sure you get the best out of life! Time is short! [12]

 

 True simplicity is that grace by which the soul is freed from all useless reflections upon itself

 

In two or three hours I could teach you so much grammar that you could advance without difficulty. 'True simplicity,' says Fenelon, 'is that grace by which the soul is freed from all useless reflections upon itself.'

 

To Mary Bishop

LONDON, January 12, 1773.

DEAR MISS BISHOP — I agree with you in your judgment of poor Nancy Dodd. But I would give her (as we say) a chance at life. Captain Webb was not sent to you as to the unawakened world. And maybe he can do Rowland Hill good by being much more popular than he is.

The Fourth Control did very well. This confirmed many in fact. This calmed many who were undecided and convinced not a few who simply fell into this strong illusion. But you shouldn't think that anything will convince a warm Calvinist—no, not an angel descending from heaven.

In two or three hours I could teach you so much grammar that you could advance without difficulty. 'True simplicity,' says Fenelon, 'is that grace by which the soul is freed from all useless reflections upon itself.' I add, 'and over all other people and things.' This is an indescribable blessing; and it is the mere gift of God, not naturally attached either to greatness or to little understanding. A single eye helps a lot in this. Look for one thing, and you will be much less concerned with useless reasoning.--My dear Miss Helena. Bishop, his affectionate brother. [13]

 

The God of all grace

 

Just be careful at the beginning not to go too far. A few years ago we had a small Society in Southampton; You may find some remaining fragments. May the God of all grace, after a time that you suffer, make you perfect, stabilized, strengthen and calm you

 

To Mary Bishop

BRISTOL, September 15,  1777 

MY DEAR MISS BISHOP,-- There is seldom much heat in the preaching house at Bradford: at least, it is not caused by the greatness of the congregation; although I think it was bigger last week than I've seen in several years.

We have reason to be thankful that none of our friends in Bristol have been harmed by Mr. Hilton's change. [See letters of August 6 and October 22 (to Miss Helena S. Bishop).] They seem to be grieved, but not wounded, but more established in truth. From Miss Helena. Flower, I heard something not very pleasant. But I can't say anything yet. In a day or two I hope to have the opportunity to talk to her, and then I will know how to judge. If she copies my dear Miss Helena. Yerbury, I will have no more pain for her.

Sea breezes can be helpful to you if you have the opportunity to use constant exercise. This has brought many out of the gates of death. It is something beyond any medicine, whatever it is.

I have great hopes that this sickness will not be unto death, but that the glory of the Lord will be revealed. Kempis' rule admits of many exceptions. Whatever the case may be at the time, we now have abundant evidence that many are improved by disease; unless it is said 'in sickness.' This is one of the great means which God employs for this purpose. In sickness many are convicted of sin, many converted to God, and still more confirmed in God's ways and brought to perfection.

His gracious design in yours seems to be chiefly this—to wean you still further from created things, to do and keep you dead for all below. For this, you are in a certain way isolated from everything that can find everything of yourself in Him. If He wants to restore you, you will be an instrument worthy of the Master's use.

It seems that the best way to enjoy this retirement that results from your current weakness is to divide your time between reading, meditation, and prayer, mixed with serious conversation. And when your strength permits, you should strive to do a little good; Just be careful at the beginning not to go too far. A few years ago we had a small Society in Southampton; You may find some remaining fragments. May the God of all grace, after a time of suffering, make you perfect, stabilized, strengthen, and soothe—I am, my dear sister,

His brother always affectionate. [14]

 

You have 'received the Spirit of grace' and, to some extent, you realize righteousness

 

This is your state. You are not yet a son, but you are a servant; and you wait for the Spirit of adoption, who will cry out in your hearts, 'Abba, Father.' You have "received the Spirit of grace," and to some extent you accomplish righteousness. Without suffering for what you don't have, you have reason to bless God for what you have, and wait patiently for Him to give rest by revealing His Son in your heart.

Despite all this, I have no doubts

 

To Alexander Knox

PENRHYN, August 29,  1777.

MY DEAR ALLECK,-- You should read Mr. Fletcher's Essay on Truth. He has placed there, without any doubt, that there is a medium between a child of God and a child of the devil — that is, a servant of God. This is your state. You are not yet a son, but you are a servant; and you wait for the Spirit of adoption, who will cry out in your hearts, 'Abba, Father.' You have "received the Spirit of grace," and to some extent you accomplish righteousness. Without suffering for what you don't have, you have reason to bless God for what you have, and wait patiently for Him to give rest by revealing His Son in your heart. Despite all this, I have no doubt that I see you as a healthy and happy man. But it is true that nothing short of almighty power can heal both your soul and your body. And isn't that enough? Do you have no reason to rejoice because 'salvation is from the Lord'? I pray, who can you trust better? Who loves you more than Him? Then out, in despair! Hope until the end. To Him I commend you all; and I am, dear Alleck,

With all the affection. [15]

 

I want you and them to continually grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ

 

Ms. Saumarez gains ground. Miss Helena Sánchez. Lempriere is very upright, but very shy.' I want you and them to continually grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. Oh, let's improve this period of life as much as possible!

 

For Mrs. Cock

DUBLIN, April 7, 1789.

MY DEAR SISTER, -- I cannot help saying that this worried me when I first learned that you were married; because I was afraid that you were less useful than you might have been in a single life. And, indeed, I hoped that if you married, it would be to one of our preachers; So I could have put you in some circuit where I would have had frequent opportunities to talk to you. I'm glad, though, that you're still happy in God. If you had married an ungodly man, it would certainly have been a sin. But it was not a sin to marry a child of God—yes, even though he was only a babe in Christ. And surely, if you pray mightily for him, the Lord will hear your prayer, and supply what is still lacking in your faith, until he is happy, holy, and perfect in love. I hope there is no timidity between you and Mr. or Mrs. Clarke. And do you talk freely with the other preachers? Do you find yourself in the band? I hope you still meet Miss Helena. Lempriere and (I think her friend's name is) Mrs. Saumarez. [Adam Clarke wrote on January 13: 'Jane Cock is still well and happy. Ms. Saumarez gains ground. Miss Helena Sánchez. Lempriere is very upright, but very shy.' See August 3 letter to Mrs. Cock.] I want you and them to continually grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. Oh, let's improve this period of life as much as possible!

Your fondly tender. [16]

 

They increase in Dublin both in number and in grace

 

God's work continues well in most of Ireland, especially in the North. They increase in Dublin both in number and in grace. Many are very much alive for God.

 

I'm at one point. I will no longer be taken to play.

To Henry Moore

NEAR LONDON, APRIL 17, 1789.

DEAR HENRY, -- I answer all your letters immediately; But you do not consider that the sea is now between us. I've told you before, 'Send John Jenkins without delay.' So I suppose he's gone. I left Dr. Coke's Journal in Dublin with his daughter, to be published immediately. And no doubt you printed enough of them in London to supply all English societies.

God's work continues well in most of Ireland, especially in the North. They increase in Dublin both in number and in grace. Many are very much alive for God. [] I am, with affection for Nancy,

Your affectionate friend and brother. [17]

 

Grace is enough

 

His grace is sufficient for you. But you must keep growing if you keep standing; for no one can stand still. And is it not the Lord's will that you should receive daily a new increase of love? And see that you try so hard to comfort the mental, support the weak, confirm the vacillations, and recover those who are off the path.

 

For Ms. Barton

ARBROATH, May 8, 1770.

MY DEAR SISTER,-- Two things are certain: one, that it is possible to lose even the pure love of God; the other, which is not necessary, is not inevitable — it may be lost, but it may be maintained. Thus we have some in every part of the kingdom who have never been turned away from their steadfastness. And from this moment on you need never move: His grace is sufficient for you. But you must keep growing if you keep standing; for no one can stand still. And is it not the Lord's will that you should receive daily a new increase of love? And see that you try so hard to comfort the mental, support the weak, confirm the vacillations, and recover those who are off the path. In June I hope to see you. Peace be with your spirits! --I am

Your affectionate brother. [18]

 

By the grace of God, this is your faith

 

But to trust him when we are surrounded on all sides and see no way out, that is good and acceptable to God. This is the faith of Abraham our father; and by the grace of God, this is your faith

 

For Ms. Barton

HERTFORD, December 18, 1772.

MY DEAREST SISTER,-- It is a small thing to trust God as far as we can see Him, as far as the way is open before us. But to trust him when we are surrounded on all sides and see no way out, that is good and acceptable to God. This is the faith of Abraham our father; and by the grace of God, this is your faith-- I am

Your affectionate brother.[19]

 

You can have so much more grace than before

 

You have small children, you have worldly care, and you often have a weak body. Therefore you may have much more grace than before, though you may not have so much joy; no, though for a while you have no joy but sorrow and heaviness

 

For Ms. Barton

LONDON, December 30, 1774.

MY DEAR SISTER,--- well observed that in judging of the grace God has given us, we must equally consider what our temptations are, for a little grace balances small temptations, but to overcome great temptations much grace is needed. Before, you had little temptation, and by His grace you could rejoice with joy unspeakable. At the moment, you don't find that joy. No; for you have the temptations that you did not have back then. You have small children, you have worldly care, and you often have a weak body. Therefore you may have much more grace than before, though you may not have so much joy; no, though for a time you have no joy at all, but sorrow and heaviness; Yes, though you must say with your Master, 'My soul is deeply sorrowful, even unto death.' Ah, what a gain you are with this! when you are able to say in the midst of all, 'The cup that my Father gave me, did you not drink it? 'See how He loves whom He chastises! And what's at the end? An eternal weight of glory!

It's stopped for the two of you. Prove it now—I am.

Your affectionate brother. [20]

 

Look not so much to Judgment, but to Grace

 

Look not so much to Judgment, but to Grace

No cross, no suffering. I refuse: Only that all my heart is yours? This has been recorded in the courts above, the conclusion is answered as we are able to bear it. Look not so much to Judgment, but to Grace

 

To Mrs. M. M;

August 29, 1757.

 Rejoice deeply to find that you are convinced of a very important but self-deprecating truth, that you yourself are utterly incapable of Accomplishing your own Salvation, or of forming even a good Thought, or. a desire towards her. Do not rest in this Conviction, but seek, ask, knock at the door: And you will surely obtain that Faith which is the Gift of GOD.

Let me reaffirm that Religion consists, first, in a true Knowledge of our Christlessness: Second, in knowing that he is not only the Saviour of the World, but our Saviour in particular; to know that he died for us, so that we could live through him.

There is a great difference between this religious scheme and the one we form for ourselves when we begin to desire eternal happiness. So I thought I should abstain from all Words and be constant in the Church. And I certainly should go to Heaven, though—I didn't walk narrowly, but very cold. I did not see that Christ alone was the Way to Heaven; but though I could not help seeing that my works were unsafe, yet I expected God to accept this patched obedience, and to furnish what was needed. Be careful not to get your hopes up. It is a Deep Sand (...) but seek Forgiveness and Acceptance with GOD, through Him Who is the Rock of Ages. Let him not go until he blesses you (...)".

 Do you not think me cruel, that I may rejoice to see you under the Cross? Do I believe that both of our souls would be there, if the strong wind did not arise? blow the dust off our branches. When this happens, how salutary is the Rain of Grace, how refreshing the Rays of Love! I am convinced that there is not a single Tree of the Lord's planting, but it must be purged so that it can bring dirt.

(...) No cross, no suffering. I refuse: Only that all my heart is yours? This has been recorded in the courts above, the conclusion is answered as we are able to bear it. Look not so much at the Judgment, but at the Grace that keeps you from [art-art] underneath it. You may be greatly oppressed: But Omnipotence will compromise for you. The Enemy may attack you to fall: But ask for his help as he will, and he will deliver you (...).

This he sits like a refiner's fire. Fire, and like Fuller's soap in the souls of his people. I feel Jesus near; He is better for me than I could ask or think. May your spirit meet you near this hour, and until the end of your war!" [21]

 

Your Grace is enough to make me respond without any hesitation

 

I THANK you for another Demonstration of your Care for my Soul, in the Investigations you do. I bless my Lord, Your Grace is sufficient to make me respond without any hesitation (...).

 

London, Assistant. 29, 1752

Reverend and dear Sir,

I THANK you for another Demonstration of your Care for my Soul, in the Investigations you do. I bless my Lord, Your Grace is sufficient to make me respond without any hesitation (...).

For many months I have enjoyed such a constant continuity of my Beloved's presence, for it makes me feel that I am less than the least of his mercies. If the contemplation of Him who is more beautiful than the Sons of Men, the Vision of Christ crucified, prevents the Touch of Pride and makes me hate the Garment stained by the Flesh. The Testimony I desire is not from Man, and the appropriation of Gon never makes me mind high. Rather, I rejoice with him with reverence. He teaches me to charm my love in him. And I feel that I cannot be dissatisfied with anything that is your choice (...).

In fact, Jesus is indescribably precious: "Words are too cruel to speak his... Too mean to present my Saviour, "He makes me daily new discoveries of his grace and power.

My wish for you is that you can. to increase with all the Increase of GOD and return to us in the Fullness of the Gospel; de Paz. I believe so, and that you will be a blessing to me and to many; I think Mr. Bell is willing to accept whatever advice you see fit to give. I answer what I have said before; those who seek. Dissensions are no friend of God's work. I trust you to work for Peace, '"* and GOD. Peace will be with you: always.

I give everything to Jesus daily, and I have no sacrifice to make that has not been offered before. He gives me Strength for everything _Ele calls me to endure: And I find it easy for Love that believes that all things last (...).

I wish him the best of luck. The points of his War are powerful through him: He need not fight uncertainly, as one who carries the Air, but prove himself in all circumstances; It is 'to be Victory, even our Faith. Continue to show your care for me, rebuking and advising me as X as you deem necessary. I am sensible of all my instructions to you, and, dear sir, I am your affectionate and welcoming servant. [22]

 

It has a lot of money and little fun

 

 How, then, is your mind so altered? I hope it is not because some child of the devil offers, who has too much money and too little grace, and so drives the poor child of God away from his face 

 

To Ms. Planche

NORWICH, October 16, 1789.

MY DEAR SISTER, -- I am glad for God that you will lift up the hands of the poor company in... for now is the time to awaken the gift of God that is in you. You will have a good work to do, but you must expect to suffer as well as to do God's will. But don't worry about the well-done; Over time, you will reap if you do not pass out.

Jenny Smith's letter exudes an admirable spirit; She seems to be busy with... stop and desired... to ensure their connection and election.

But what's wrong with Mr. Smith? He came to me in Leeds, and seemed to have little or no objection to the connection between Molly and Mr. Stamp, only thought that she was young enough, and that it would be better for both of them not to be in a hurry. How, then, is your mind so altered? I hope it is not because some child of the devil offers, who has too much money and too little grace, and so drives the poor child of God away from his face. Now, no doubt, you will have the opportunity to send a word to some of your younger relatives and remind them that there is another world. --

My dear sister, your very affectionate brother.

Addressed to Ms. Bolton, in Witney, Oxfordshire. [23]

 

How Wholesome Is the Rain of Grace

 

Don't you think me cruel, that I can rejoice to see you under the Cross? Do I believe that both of our souls would be there, if the strong wind did not arise? blow the dust off our branches. When this happens, how salutary is the Rain of Grace, how refreshing the Rays of Love! I am convinced that there is not a single Tree of the Lord's planting, but it must be purged so that it can bring dirt.

 

To Mrs. M. M;

August 29, 1757.

 Rejoice deeply to find that you are convinced of a very important but self-deprecating truth, that you yourself are utterly incapable of Accomplishing your own Salvation, or of forming even a good Thought, or. a desire towards her. Do not rest in this Conviction, but seek, ask, knock at the door: And you will surely obtain that Faith which is the Gift of GOD.

Let me reaffirm that Religion consists, first, in a true Knowledge of our Christlessness: Second, in knowing that he is not only the Saviour of the World, but our Saviour in particular; to know that he died for us, so that we could live through him.

There is a great difference between this religious scheme and the one we form for ourselves when we begin to desire eternal happiness. So I thought I should abstain from all Words and be constant in the Church. And I certainly should go to Heaven, though—I didn't walk narrowly, but very cold. I did not see that Christ alone was the Way to Heaven; but though I could not help seeing that my works were unsafe, yet I expected God to accept this patched obedience, and to furnish what was needed. Be careful not to get your hopes up. It is a Deep Sand (...) but seek Forgiveness and Acceptance with GOD, through Him Who is the Rock of Ages. Let him not go until he blesses you (...)".

 Do you not think me cruel, that I may rejoice to see you under the Cross? Do I believe that both of our souls would be there, if the strong wind did not arise? blow the dust off our branches. When this happens, how salutary is the Rain of Grace, how refreshing the Rays of Love! I am convinced that there is not a single Tree of the Lord's planting, but it must be purged so that it can bring dirt.

(...) No cross, no suffering. I refuse: Only that all my heart is yours? This has been recorded in the courts above, the conclusion is answered as we are able to bear it. Look not so much at the Judgment, but at the Grace that keeps you from [art-art] underneath it. You may be greatly oppressed: But Omnipotence will compromise for you. The Enemy may attack you to fall: But ask for his help as he will, and he will deliver you (...).

This he sits like a refiner's fire. Fire, and like Fuller's soap in the souls of his people. I feel Jesus near; He is better for me than I could ask or think. May your spirit meet you near this hour, and until the end of your war!" [24]

 

Joy for the grace of God that is in you

 

You pray endlessly; Your heart rises, whatever your hands are occupied; You rejoice forever You are always happy, always more or less liking God; You never worry, never grieve so much as to interrupt your happiness; You never encounter discouragement. Do you have the capacity to be thankful at all?

 

For Ms. Pywell

 

NEAR LONDON, JANUARY 22, 1772.

MY DEAR SISTER,-- You have given me a clear and satisfactory answer to the questions I have proposed, and I rejoice for you by the grace of God that is in you. May He increase more and more! How I must rejoice to see you and talk to you, especially on these subjects! I hope this will be in the spring; but before that you can tell me,-- You're always aware of God's presence It's not that feeling interrupted by company or the rush of business You pray endlessly Your heart rises, whatever your hands are busy You rejoice forever You're always happy always more or less liking God You never worry,  never grieve so much as to interrupt your happiness You never find discouragement. Do you have the capacity to be thankful at all? I ask a lot of questions, because I want you to write freely, and especially to dear Sally,

Your affectionate brother.

To Mrs. Sarah Pywell, at Mr. Wilson's house, in Stenton. Be dropped off at the White Lion in Derby. [25]

 

They were led to value these extraordinary gifts more than the common grace of God

 

 But for this reason, Satan deceived them with the simplicity that exists in Christ. By insensible degrees they were led to value these extraordinary gifts more than the common grace of God; and I couldn't convince them that a grain of humble love was better than all these gifts put together.

 

To Ann Bolton

LONDON, December 5, 1772.

MY DEAR SISTER,--I don't know that you ever asked me a question that I didn't answer promptly. I've never heard anyone mention anything about you for that reason; but I myself was jealous of you. [See letter of November 28.] Perhaps I find fault with you that others do not have; for I behold you on every side. I mark your every move and temperament, because I long for you to be unblemished or blemished.

What I saw in London prompted the first warning I gave him. George Bell, William Green, [See Journal, iii. 265, iv. 94; C. Wesley's Journal, i. 429; and letter of November 26, 1762, section I. 6, to Bishop Warburton.] and many others, then full of love, were graced with extraordinary revelations and manifestations from God. But for this reason, Satan deceived them with the simplicity that exists in Christ. By insensible degrees they were led to value these extraordinary gifts more than the common grace of God; and I couldn't convince them that a grain of humble love was better than all these gifts put together. This, my dear friend, is what made me fear for you. It reminds me of you several times. Faith and hope are glorious gifts, as is every ray of eternity let into the soul. But still, these are only means; The end of everything, and the greatest of all, is love. May the Lord now pour this into your heart as He has never done before.

By all means, spend an hour every other day in the labor of love, even if you can't help them as you would. By entrusting you to the One who can make you perfect in every good word and work, I am

With affection.

To the Editor of the 'Lloyd's Evening Post'[26]

 

 

It will take a lot of grace to make it completely Christian

 

There are so many serious defects in her natural temperament that it will require much grace to make her thoroughly Christian; neither of the two graces will shine in her as she would in others

 

For Miss Helena. March

DUBLIN, July 13, 1771.

As long as we dwell in a house of clay, it can affect the mind; sometimes dulling or darkening the understanding, and sometimes more directly deadening and depressing the soul, sinking it into anguish and sorrow. In this state, doubt or fear of one kind or another will naturally arise. And the prince of this world, who well knows what we are made of, will not fail to improve the occasion, to disturb, though he cannot defile, the heart which God has cleansed from all unrighteousness.

I rejoice with you in regard to poor Martin Madan. [See the reference to his mother in Wesley, ii. of Tyerman. 284.] People who are extremely loyal to their parents rarely fail to receive a reward, even in today's world.

My appeal to America is still unclear. [See letters of December 14, 1770 and August 14, 1771 (to Philothea Briggs).] I have nothing to do with it as long as they can be without me. I am now indebted to the people of England and Ireland, and especially to those who believe.

You have a delicate role to play in relation to Philadelphia. [See the previous letter and the one dated September 13.] There are so many serious defects in her natural temperament that it will require much grace to make her thoroughly Christian; neither of the two graces will shine in her as she would in others. You must carefully encourage what is of God in her, and tenderly rebuke what is of nature. I fear for P--D-- , [Damaris Perronet.] lest she be less zealous for good deeds than she was before. I doubt she has little incentive to do so at the moment.

In the 13th of [the First of] Corinthians you have the height and depth of true perfection; and it is observable that St. Paul speaks all the time about the love of our neighbor, which actually flows from the love of God. Mr. De Renty is an excellent pattern of this. But many things in your fellowship with God will not be explained until the Holy Spirit explains them by writing them on your heart. This darkness that often clouded their understanding I consider something quite supernatural. I believe that the spirit of darkness spreads a mist over your mind, as far as is permitted; and that the best remedy is simply to look to God, and the cloud will flee in His presence.--I am, etc. [27]

 

His grace is sufficient for you and His strength will be made perfect in your weakness

 

As long as you trust not in yourself, but in Him who has all power in heaven and earth, you will find that His grace is sufficient for you, and that His strength will be made perfect in your weakness. Look to Him continually and trust Him, so that you can grow with all of God's increase

 

For Ms. Bennis

LOND0N, February 12, 1773.

MY DEAR SISTER,-- When we draw near to God in the ways He has determined, He will surely draw near to us. Please remind Mr. Glassbrook to use the same means; Then he and you will find the same blessing. Write to Waterford to Brother Slater and encourage him to do it there as he did in Limerick.

I can observe, from Mrs. Dawson's manner of writing, a very considerable change in her spirit, more knowledge of God, more humility, and a simpler, more unartifice love. I'm so glad you visit so often. Keep leading the simple, and God will give you more wisdom.

As long as you trust not in yourself, but in Him who has all power in heaven and earth, you will find that His grace is sufficient for you, and that His strength will be made perfect in your weakness. Look to Him continually and trust Him, so that you can grow with all the increase of God. "I am, my dear sister, your brother.[28]

 

Come, therefore, boldly to the throne of grace

 

So we can undoubtedly pray against it. And certainly He can and will deliver us. Come, therefore, boldly to the throne of grace, and find grace to help in times of need.

 

For Ms. Bennis

SHEERNESS, Dec. 1, 1773.

MY DEAR SISTER,-- Some time ago, when I heard that Brother Bennis had become very rich, I was afraid for you lest the world should again find a way into your heart and quench your noblest affections. I don't regret that you don't have that temptation. It is very desirable to have neither poverty nor wealth; But still, you can't be without temptation unless you want to get out of the world. How far this sudden emotion you speak of is a supernatural dart from Satan and how far it goes out of your own heart is extremely difficult to judge. It is possible that it is neither one nor the other, but only an effect of the body's natural mechanism, which has no more good or evil than blushing or turning pale. But, whether natural or preternatural, it is painful for those who have a sensitive conscience. So we can undoubtedly pray against it. And certainly He can and will deliver us. Come, therefore, boldly to the throne of grace, and find grace to help in times of need.

You will find full employment in Waterford: I believe society demands your efforts. See, therefore, that you may not be afraid to do good. "I am, my dear sister,

Your affectionate brother. [29]

 

Invade the throne of grace, and persevere in it, and mercy shall descend

 

Raise the hands that hang down; by faith and prayer, support the tottering knee; Rebuke, encourage. Have you scheduled a day of fasting and prayer? Invade the throne of grace, and persevere in it, and mercy shall descend 

 

For Ms. Bennis

LONDON, March 1, 1774.

MY DEAR SISTER.--Elizabeth Harper was also often in the clouds; and in this case, it is the best way to stand still: you can do nothing but simply tell all your desires to the One who is able and willing to supply them.

I attach James Perfect's letter, on purpose so you can talk to him. He has both an honest heart and a good understanding; But you are completely mistaken in his doctrine. He preaches salvation by faith in the same way that my brother and I did, and as Mr. Fletcher (one of the best writers of the day) beautifully explained. None of us talk about being accepted for our jobs; that is, Calvinist calumny. But we all hold that we are not saved without works, that works are a condition (though not the meritorious cause) of final salvation. It is by faith in the righteousness and blood of Christ that we are enabled to perform all good works; and it is because of these that all who fear God and do justice are accepted by Him.

It is far better for our people not to listen to Mr. Hawksworth. Calvinism will not do them any good. For the rest, I refer my precinct to Mr. M'Donald, with whom I would like you to have a conversation. Don't be discouraged: I truly believe that God will visit poor Waterford with love. You can continue. Raise the hands that hang down; by faith and prayer, support the tottering knee; Rebuke, encourage. Have you scheduled a day of fasting and prayer? Invade the throne of grace, and persevere in it, and mercy shall descend.--I am, my dear sister, Your affectionate brother. [30]

 

Forgiveness and holiness are admirably composed in that word "grace"

 

How admirably pardon and holiness are composed in that word 'grace'! Mercy and strength! Just as our justifications and sanctifications are intertwined

 

To Joseph Benson

MANCHESTER. April 2, 1781.

DEAR JOSEPH, -- Though our joy is this, the testimony of our conscience that we walk in simplicity and godly sincerity, it in no way contradicts, 'God forbid that we glorify saved in the cross of Christ.' In everything, and after all,

Your passion alone, the foundation we have;

And forgive me, we say,

And eternal redemption, in the name of Jesus.

How admirably pardon and holiness are composed in that word 'grace'! Mercy and strength! Just as our justifications and sanctifications are intertwined.

I hope your sermons are good. But why don't you publish your poems? I think you can make verses as fast as John Murlin [Murlin was his colleague at Leeds, and this year he published his Sacred Hymns on Various Subjects.]; Yes, in fact, if it were necessary, Stan asks for in uno. [Standing on one foot, or standing at will. See the Satires of Horace, iv. 10.] I congratulate Sister Benson for the care she gave to her mother. You can never do too much for a parent. -- I am, dear Joseph,

Your affectionate brother. [31]

 

Is His grace not sufficient for you?

 

Is His grace not sufficient for you? And has He not opened in every temptation a way for you to escape, that you may endure it? Don't let your hands hang down; God is on your side

 

To Sarah Mallet

BRISTOL, July 31, 1790.

DEAR SALLY, -- I don't remember receiving any letter from you that I didn't answer. I should be afraid that my silence might cause you pain; And that I wouldn't do at all. I'm glad you interrupted that relationship that couldn't help but be a trap for you. Nothing is more profitable for us than cutting off a right hand or gouging out a right eye. If you continue in the work to which God has called you, you will often have occasion to do so. You will have trials and more trials. But what then? Is His grace not sufficient for you? And has He not opened in every temptation a way for you to escape, that you may endure it? Don't let your hands hang down; God is on your side. And if they are rebuked for His name's sake, happy are they; and the spirit of glory and of God will rest upon you. If you want to have a book, let me know, and I will give orders to the Assistant. [See letters of December 15, 1789 and December 13, 1790.] It's good that you meet our sister [Elizabeth Reeve. See the letters of February 21, 1789 and December 13, 1790.] that it is also sometimes employed in the same labor of love; Providence has marked you out as friends with each other, and there should be no reservations between you. Pour all your thoughts, problems, and temptations into each other's bosom. God will often comfort and strengthen you for one another! May his peace remain continually with you both! -- I am, my dear Sally, [32]

 

Methodists put all credit in faith and grace

 

Methodists put all credit in faith and grace, and none in good works. This strange unjustifiable sect of a religion, founded on folly and folly, holds that there is no justification by good works, but only by faith and grace.

 

To the Author of 'The Craftsman'

[July] 1745.

 

In his last article of June 22 I find (among many in the same sense) these words

 

LORD, -- In your last article of June 22nd I find (among many in the same sense) these words: --

'The Methodists put all the merit in faith and grace, and none in good works. This strange unjustifiable sect of a religion, founded on folly and folly, holds that there is no justification by good works, but only by faith and grace. They have banished that divine part of our constitution, reason; and cut off the most essential recommendation to heaven, virtue. [33]

 

Exercise all the grace and gifts God has given you

 

I'm glad you stay in Wycombe. That is, without a doubt, your place: you have a great field of action there to exercise all the grace and gifts that God has given you

 

For Hannah Ball

BRECKNOCK, August 14, 1771.

MY DEAR SISTER,-- I am glad that you remain in Wycombe. That is, without a doubt, your place: you have a great field of action there to exercise all the grace and gifts that God has given you. See to it that you may be zealous for God. Redeem time, and in due time you will reap if you do not faint.

The main point is to keep what we get. You need every possible means of taking care of your sister [Miss S. Ann Ball, who continued Sunday School after Hannah's death.] and from his mother, so that they do not lose what God has done. Hardly three out of five of those who are justified or sanctified keep the gift of God for a year to the end. All the more so exhort them to watch and pray that they may not fall into temptation. I love you more because you love dear Miss Helena. Hartly. [See the August 3 letter to Miss Helena S. March.] Peace be upon your spirits—[34]

 

To receive an increase of grace for oneself, but also to pass it on to others

 

I was glad that you had the opportunity of spending a few days in London, and also that you were not ashamed to declare what God has done for your soul. This is the way, not only to receive an increase of grace for oneself, but also to pass it on to others.

 

For Hannah Ball

BRISTOL, September 1, 1773.

MY DEAR SISTER,-- I was glad that you had the opportunity to spend a few days in London, and also that you were not ashamed to declare what God has done for your soul. This is the way, not only to receive an increase of grace for oneself, but also to pass it on to others. Even this kind of simplicity, speaking unfunnily as children, just what we feel in our hearts, with no reason for what people will think or say, is of great use to the soul. I hope you can speak to Mr. Saunderson [Hugh Saunderson, Oxford Circuit Assistant] without the slightest reservation. He has tasted the pure love of God and should be encouraged to hold it fast. But I wonder a little bit how some of our friends in Witney ended up opposing the honest John Wittam [Wittam, who came from Armagh, was the second preacher]. He is indeed an Israelite; not very polished, but serious, solid and sensible. I preferred him rather than two or three young men (who volunteered for Oxfordshire), because I saw proof of him. "I am, my dear sister,

With affection.

For Miss Helena. Ball, at Mr. Ball's house, Laceman, in High Wycombe, Bucks. [35]

 

The great danger is that you will forsake the sacred channels of His grace

 

The great danger is that you will forsake the sacred channels of His grace. Just stay in the way. Read, meditate, pray as you can, though not as you would. Then God will return and lift up abundantly the light of His countenance upon you

 

To Mrs. Gair (Rebecca Yeoman)

LONDON, November 5, 1774.

MY DEAR SISTER,-- As for you, the great danger is that you will forsake the sacred channels of His grace. Just stay in the way. Read, meditate, pray as you can, though not as you would. Then God will return and lift up abundantly the light of His countenance upon you.

With regard to Brother Gair, it is not improbable that the impression he feels really comes from God. I think he can try a test as a local preacher; and probably God would confirm the word of His messenger.--I am, dear Becky,

Your affectionate brother. [36]

 

Sisters of grace, humility, meekness and resignation

 

Mr. Law does well to insist on these sisters of grace, humility, meekness, and resignation. They would ask God very insistently. And indeed, without them, love is just a name. Let your faith work so out of love, and it will make you fertile in every good mood, word, and deed.

 

To Peggy Dale

LIVERPOOL, April 7, 1768.

MY DEAR PEGGY,-- I don't quite understand which letter you mean. I have answered (if I do not forget) all the letters I have received. And I usually answer any of you [Herself or Miss Helena]. Molly Dale.] in a day or two. In that sense, I don't like to continue to be indebted to you. In others, I must always be like this; for I will never be able to repay you the affection I owe. Accept the little I have to give.

Mr. Law does well to insist on these sisters of grace, humility, meekness, and resignation. [A Serious Call to a Holy Life, xvi.-xxii.] They would ask God very insistently. And indeed, without them, love is just a name. Let your faith work so out of love, and it will make you fertile in every good mood, word, and deed.

I hope to be in Glasgow on Wednesday, the 19th of the present present; in Aberdeen on the 28th; in Edinburgh on May 5; in Newcastle on Friday 20 May. Peace be with your spirit-- I am, my dear Peggy,

Your affectionate brother. [37]

Note: "For Wesley, these qualities form the inner character of Christ stamped on the human soul. They are not earned by self-effort, but are direct fruits of sanctifying grace working in the heart of the believer" (Google AI Mode Overview)



[1] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[2]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1770/

[3] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[4] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[5]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1745/

[6] Overview of Google's AI Mode

[7]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1781/

[8]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1760/

[9]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1770/

[10]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1770/

[11] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1772/

[12] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1772/

[13] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1773/

[14] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1777/

[15] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1778/

[16] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[17] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789/

[18] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1770/

[19] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1772b/

[20] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1774/

[21] https://finestofthewheat.org/plain_account_03/

[22] https://finestofthewheat.org/plain_account_03/

[23] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1789

[24] https://finestofthewheat.org/plain_account_03/

[25] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1772/

[26] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1772/

[27] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/

[28] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1773/

[29] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1773/

[30] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1774/

[31] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1781/

[32] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1790/

[33] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1745/

[34] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1771/

[35]https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1773/

[36] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1774/

[37] https://wesley.nnu.edu/john-wesley/the-letters-of-john-wesley/wesleys-letters-1768/

Comentários